• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, I take it back, Timur outdid not only the Achemenids, but his real life counterpart as well. I think it's safe to say the he, not Alexandros II, was the second Alexander the Great. And while his realm was not as stable as I thought, it did recover very quickly from its civil war.

Its also interesting to note that, while the Empire in the East has fallen, now the Empire in the West is still thriving. It's quite an interesting reversal of what happened almost 1000 year in the past. Of course, there is always room for a little bit of chaos to be thrown into the mix.

I only have one wish - let there be some people in 2012. that will call themself Romans. Don't let Roman culture and identity fade as in real life.

A nice addition would be that Romans are still a major power in present day. :)

Wow, that was a long and exciting update! You've certainly shown that history book style can be just as entertaining as the narrative, if not more so.

An empty Throne of Caesars is quite a haunting perspective, when one remembers the Komnenid Empire in its heyday.

I feel somewhat empty after reading this. It is so grand, so incredibly interesting to read, but still so sad and I know it's almost over. Seeing the last picture of an empty throne, reading the text... You have written a tremendous tale my friend, one that touches the reader deep. Thank you again for this tale, and looking forward to the rest!

It really reflect well on your storytelling ability BT when you can craft a plausible collapse for such a great empire that was at its height just a generation or two earlier.We were all wondering how it would end and as Nikolai pointed out you managed to make the end very well lets just say Grimdark.

Also definitely a Theodoros update come on everybody throw your support behind it!

Sounds like you've set up a challenge for yourself in EU3 land. :p

1. Mount Athos is male-only, so presumably the female relatives went elsewhere?
2. Varangian Carthage is almost as good as Vandal Carthage.
3. "Romanitas" must be pretty diffuse a term; more diffuse as "Christendom", a bit less than "the Free World".
4. Timur died a lot like OTL Chingiz did. It's bad to be chasing enemies when you're 70 you know.
5. Well done, as always. Definitely has an air of finality, but what a world was created along the way!

Long time lurker here! Since your story is nearing its end, I'll have to say what a great epic it is. Masterfully written. My favorite part(s) are definitly the rules of the Thomases. Especially the first two. What madness and greatness they represented of the Roman world, culminating with the grandeur of Thomas the Third. Also I loved how you portrait the downfall of Basils Legacy, from Chivalry and Tolerance to Madness, Grandeur, Corruption and finally the sacking of the Queen City. Nonetheless I'll have to agree with many here, that in Basil the Empire got its best Emperor but with him, with his stubborness in regards to chivalry, was the first seed in the Empires fall from greatness. If he was more of Manuel II, more Nikolai, than maybe the Empire would be more stable. But then it would also be smaller. Maybe this is also the problem - the vastness of the empire made it difficult to rule.

So we come to the end now, the end of a great empire! What an end, what a tale.

I found this on youtube, I think it really suits the theme of the Greek Roman Imperators! I think in the later years some Latin singer will lament the rise and downfall of the Roman Empire. But its Legacy will live on!!

[video=youtube;6uZxMG9BmLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZxMG9BmLo[/video]

Timur actually sounds like a somewhat less brutal version of his historical self, though I feel like smacking those Balkan/Anatolian Romans upside the head!

Anyway, quite a moving series of developments. The empty throne was remarkably poignant.

Still, I'm really looking forward to the prospective EU3 mod, even if I don't have any of the expansions. It seems like something that could be turned into an epic multiplayer experience and perhaps, even more ambitiously, continuing through Victoria and the HoI era. :D

Wow!
What feel most weird is that the Constantinopolitan Empire could have survived Timur and maye regained some power after the death of Timur. But no, oh no... pesky intrigue in the west ended the dynasty.
This story was really, really nice to read in history book format but it would have been so interesting to get to know Anastasios, Michael and the rest personally aswell.
But wellwell, there's a time for every story to end...

Damn!
Does this mean that the last of those who hold just the Komnenid name are basically extinct.
With so many branches I feel that eventual that the Mediterranean will become a sea of blood. Personally I would like the
descendants of thomas the second to reclaim the throne. One who is in the mold of Demetrios himself

Hi everyone!

Well, this is it. The final regular update. After this, however, there will still be many things to do! I plan on posting EU3 maps for each section of Europe, as well as parts of the Middle East and East Asia that are different that IRL, along with descriptions of the major powers in each region. In addition, I'm going to try to do regnal summaries for Nikephoros V, Alexandros II, Manuel II, Andronikos II, Petros I, Timur, Isaakios II and lastly Anastasios III (oh, and Alexios II, Thomas IV, and Konstantinos XI in the West). I also want to do a least a simple post about what happened in game, and how the empire fell apart in game (it's alot like my Mongol tale... the AAR version is far more interesting than the in game version). Finally, I also want to do a final post on things I'd hoped to include in the story, but ran out of time to do (the personalities of some of these major characters in the history book, an a few concepts and items I didn't get to flesh out as well as I wanted).

I'll say it now and say it again... if anyone wants to start work on an EU3 mod, please, by all means begin! I'd be more than happy to help, I just don't think right after finishing this (or for a while) I'll be wanting to code anything. That, in fact, is part of the reason I want to post the maps--so I can give a jump start to anyone who would want to try to tackle this. :) I know I'm being bad, and haven't replied yet, but I promise tomorrow or this weekend I'll have a giant list of replies before I start putting up maps next week! For right now... the finale...

finalbannercopy.jpg

“All things must end. It is the way of nature, as God intended. For the end nothing to be feared. It is nothing more than a new beginning.” - Jean Froissart.

These being the words of Jean Froissart, Esquire, clerk and chronicler to the Court of the High King of Alba,

So continues this work, rushed and haphazard it may be. I had planned to put many and good more hours into this work, dear reader, but alas, events at court have forced me to cut my study short. Cicero once said that the sinew of war is money, and a King at war needs men to count his money. Thus, this humble clerk is to be dragged away from his scribbles, and alas, forced into more practical applications of his talents.

But I digress, with little time left. Ioannes Thrakesiokomnenos was a just and good man, and spent the better part of a decade making wrongs to rights and smoothing out the Iberian nobility. He compiled a new legal code, reformed the tax system, and greatly supported the efforts of the Patriarch of Santiago. For these and more, he was universally loved by the peasantry, applauded by the Church, and afforded respect and honor by all the Iberian nobility. Indeed, so great was his stature that the Emperor Konstantinos deferred to his judgment in all affairs. Iberia was peaceful and prosperous, as Thrakesiokomnenos intended.

However, this idyllic situation would not last. So begins a story. A merchant from Genoa named Amadeo Sforza, I am told, made sail for Konstantinopolis in 1385. Sforza was a resourceful man, and by such terms I mean he was a scoundrel, who conducted piracy when his regular business grew tiresome. On this voyage, he spotted a great trading ship, called the Pantokrator, and he and his men did surprise it and lay their hands upon its cargo. Yet amongst the casks of Cretan wine, they discovered a letter, sent in secret from the Emperor in the East, Anastasios, to his commanders in Italy, telling them to prepare for a Western campaign once the invasion of the Persian Miransha was defeated. Sforza, being such a resourceful man, saw such information might be valuable, and sold the letter to a Pisan named Vespucci, who fortunately was a good and loyal friend of Iberia. Vespucci sent the letter forthwith to Cordoba.

anastasiosplotcopy.jpg

Thrakesiokomnenos and Emperor Konstantinos were both greatly wroth, for Anastasios had signed a treaty of peace with them, and promised to recognize their crowns. Filled with vengeance, I am told Thrakesiokomnenos spent day and night in the Chuch of St. Basil, seeking advice and guidance. I am disinclined to believe this, for Thrakesiokomnenos was a resourceful man as well, and spent all those hours no doubt consulting with his Master of Whispers. By means spiritual or temporal, Thrakesiokomnenos came into possession of the knowledge that Edmund Godwinson, Prince of Karthagion, was greatly displeased with his lord Anastasios, and inclined to revolt, along with Anastasios’ younger brother David.

Thrakesiokomnenos sent envoys to both Karthagion and Palermo, and promised both men the same thing—a crown as King of Africa should they rise and overthrow their lord emperor. David rashly declared first—half of his men, however, were loyal to Anastasios, and refused to march with him. Godwinson was far more shrewd, and waited until Anastasios landed in Sicily with his host and lost many a man defeating David by sieges. Then he, with his brother Harold and his cousin Godwin, landed with a great host at Agrigento, and made fast for Anastasios’ army on the slopes of Mount Etna.

godinwsonplotcopy.jpg

The armies were almost equal in size, for the Godwinsons brought forth all their levies, mercenaries and professional men, while Anastasios’ force was almost all mercenaries. Godwinson made his formation plain on the high ground, according to many leaving his flank open as a ruse to lure Anastasios into a crude assault, which the Emperor obliged to do. Godwinson’s axemen, covered in mail, then sprang from behind rocks and ravines and fell on Anastasios’ surprised horsemen, and put them to flight. Then, Godwinson’s own horse took the unprotected flank of Anastasios and overthrew and destroyed his army. Anastasios fled to Siracusa, where he was holed up by siege, and died.

Thrakesiokomnenos was pleased by the efforts of his new ally, and rewarded Edmund Godwinson with the title Edmund, Lord of Karthagion, King of Africa and Sicily in the Name of Konstantinos XII, Emperor of the Romans in the West. For his part and incompetence, the Godwinsons did lay their hands on David, and locked him in a tower. What became of him I do not know.

With the threat from Anastasios abated and Iberia recovered, Thrakesiokomnenos turned his attention to the north, for the Burgundians were in a state of discord. King Gottfried III had died in 1374, and with him died the line of Dietmar the Great. A contest arose between Gottfried’s nephew by his sister, Heinrich, Duke of Lower Lorraine, and his cousin, Peyt, Duke of Holland. The contest was sharp, and while Heinrich won in the field, bad feelings remained even twenty years later. Thrakesiokomnenos was sure that the Burgundians would be unable to intervene if the Iberians marched into France, and thus he sought to bring back together what had fallen asunder almost 70 years before with the death of the last Hypatos ton Gallikon.

These grand plans were postponed in 1390, when Konstantinos XI left this world, leaving the throne to his twelve year old son, Ioannes, named for Thrakesiokomnenos. The Megaslogothetes spent four precious years consolidating the rule of his young godson, before he too was called away unto the Lord. Without his guidance, Iberia fell into chaos. Few had known a time without his rule, none knew what to do without his word. Emperor Ioannes was but a teen, thin of beard and experience, a young man few expected to amount to much.

Thrakesiokomnenosdeathcopy.jpg

It is always history that at such times, ambitious men strike forth to make their fortune, and this time was no different. Thrakesiokomnenos’ body was not even cold when evil men sent murderers to the home of his eldest son Georgios, rightful Despotes of Galicia. David Orsini, of the House of the same, took over the claims of Thrakesiokomnenos in Galicia, and now rules Galicia and Girona as a joint fief. The poor young emperor, unready as he was for taking the reins of power, was unable to lift his finger, and according to the witnesses at hand, is all but a prisoner in the Palace at Cordoba. The Thrakesiokomnenos family was shattered, and those who were not killed fled out of Iberia, and settled unto Alba. They came here to ask help of their distant cousins, the House Comnen, lately Stewards of Scotland, Ireland and Wales, in freeing their lands and regaining their rightful place in Iberia.

But their pleas fell on deaf ears. For two years earlier, in 1388, good King Caunstantin VI, last of the House of Dunkeld, had fallen ill and died without issue. The crown then passed to Artair Comnen, Steward of the Realm, as nephew of the late King. There were many of the highland barons who were displeased with the new king, and good King Artair spent his first decade of rule setting them arights. Now that he is secure, Artair has seen fit to muster his levies and is preparing to make war to the south—the Capets, too, have suffered their own succession problems, and have had far less success in fording those treacherous waters than Alba. It is, has been, and no doubt will be the stated goal of King Artair to become the first High King Britain has seen since the days of his immortal namesake, as recorded in story and song. If even half of that blessed man's success should fall on our good King’s shoulder, I shall spend every day thanking God I was witness to such events of historical portent…

artairsplancopy.jpg

FIN

EDIT - I think I deserve a glass of wine now. :)
EDIT 2 - It'd help if Artair's name didn't magically change to Robert twice! :) (a byproduct of a previous version that I missed...)

Last edited:
First on the last!

A bitter end for the Empire...but perhaps a new and worthy beginning shall come from those it left behind!

Oh, I can just imagine the Comnens of Alba sailing south to reclaim their rightful place on the Throne of Ceasars :)). In all seriousness, I think they are one of the few Komnenid offshoots with a decent claim.

While the story is at an end, I'll cling to the hope that, just as Froissart said, it's just a new beginning. Hopefully the mod will be made and we can all make a thousand new timelines out of this brand new world you so skilfully created.

But, it's also sad to see this end. Rome AARisen has been a part of my life for several years, and I will miss it. But, for all your hard work and determination, for the characters made of pixels that you so masterfully brought to life, for your unequaled ability to create a world so real and plausible that I sometimes forgot what real Byzantine history was like, and, most of all, for having the strength of will to bring this epic tale to a conclusion, despite how hard it must have been at times, I salute you! :) You have created here nothing short of a masterpiece and you have all the reasons in the world to be proud. I hope one day you will pursue a career as a writer, because I think (and I'm sure most here will agree) that you have the potential to be one of the great names of our time :). Congratulations! :)

Last edited:
Wow! Just... wow!

So the Roman Empire has now fully shattered, and in its place we are seeing new kingdoms rise: Some of them likely permanent fixtures of the coming Renaissance world, some of them ephemeral creations that last a generation or two... Spain waxes and wanes but seems to be a permanent fixture despite its heterogeneity. The Scotland of the Comnens looks like it has the makings of a rising star too. With Ireland, Wales and northern England under its rule, it's in a good position to unify Britain.

We have already seen and heard much about Burgundy, which rose to greatness during the 13th century, after the fall of the last Holy Roman Emperor... are they still around?

Last time we saw the Von Frankens, they were rulers over large territories in Austria, southern Germany and nothern Italy. Their rule has at this point lasted more than just a few generations, so it seems they have already started to consolidate and modernize their rule? If they don't overreach, their realm could become the first really modern renaissance kingdom.

In the Balkans and Anatolia on the other hand, there do not seem to have been any successful examples of such state building. Rulers come and go, rising and falling, squabbling over the wreckage left behind by Timur rather than consolidating their lands and restoring stable governance to their decimated and downtrodden people. Hybris runs rampant among their princes... that part of the world has really become a shark basin!

However Egypt doesn't really seem to have been touched by Timur's conquests, does it? It says the Egyptian princes submitted to Timur during his Levantine campaign, but they could keep all their lands and Timur himself didn't cross into Egypt at any point. So depending on how Timurid power recedes from parts of the middle east, Egypt could move in to fill the void. They could try to take over some of the Timurid offshoot principalities in the Levant. Alternatively, if they don't want to risk brining down the wrath of the Khan on themselves, they could try to become a naval based power and snatch Crete as well as other parts of the mediterranean coastline.

Komnyns with dragons! Blasphemy! Eagles are where it's at!

The Greeks need someone less megalo-minded on the throne, time for rebuilding for sure.

And of course hearty congratulations of reaching the end, even if it is a sad event for me as a reader. It won't be quite the same without RA, but then again RA itself has changed a lot over the years. I'm sure we'll see more of you around AARland in some capacity.