• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An amazing chapter ! Definitely very good ! I'm really impressed by the turn of events and it was a proper amount of excitement and everything ! I'm very partial to cat and mouse games myself and Mehtty trying to keep his skin was very taut !

Well writen, as usual, and the intrigue is as compelling as ever. :D

Also, I enjoyed your portrayals of Thomas and Mehtar, both in the text and the graphics. Thomas looks cruel and brutish, and Mehtar looks incredibly slimy. Very well done!

Now we'll have to see if Thomas' faction can thwart David's (or vice versa) before Basil intervenes. And Manuel the Spider is still out there too... ;)

Looking good once again General_BT! I expect either like people have said, Mehtar to completey bumble it and get caught/actually succeed and get away with it or succeed but leave enough evidence pointing back to him. Still, it is amazing what fools can be driven by in their obsession over one they believe to care about.

Update soon!

Interesting plotting there. Mehtar is indeed making quite a mess, but I just can't imagine him succeeding in taking David out. On the other hand, David does know of Metar's "condition", so when he hears about the deed, I think he has his own suspect number one ready.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I'm going to get to formal replies tomorrow probably, but for right now I'd just like to post the following to end any potential curiosity regarding David, Manuel and Thomas' fourth brother's stats. Keep in mind the little one is only ten, so there's room for improvement...

HerakliosKomnenos.jpg

Heraklios Komnenos, 1178 -

As far as CK terms go, at least: martial isn't worth BEANS compared to the other stats unless you're in a REALLY close war, at which point it outweighs diplomacy and maybe intrigue. And modern, post-Drogo Byzantium, in a close war, before the hinted disastrous emperorship? Or the Mongols? No. And if we ignore martial, Heraklios at 10 actually has some rather scary good stats - we can reasonably expect each one to go up by three and some wandering miracle worker to fix his illness, at which point we're looking at... what? At least a negligible-10-13-10 before education? Possible (if unlikely) negligible-13-16-13? Yowza. I'd wipe every other son off the map to get that sort of heir... if he doesn't get a moronic educational background. ...Well... okay, Thomas is HALFWAY adequate, but I'd still stuff him off to oh, say, Cyrenaica as a backup. Also, all non-Heraklean sons have bloody terrible loyaltyish stats.

As far as Mehtar goes, bear in mind that when he went after Sophia he was not at all thinking straight. Hurried, in love, and all that fun stuff. He's got a while to plan David's assassination - not that I expect him to bring it off entirely right, but I at least expect David to get well and truly stabbed.

Well, I've now finished the first chapter. What can I say, you've got me hooked. :) Very well-written indeed. I love the portrayal of the inept Emperor, and those of the plotting vassals as well.

I'll return when I've read Chapter 2... :cool:

kalenderee said:
As far as CK terms go, at least: martial isn't worth BEANS compared to the other stats unless you're in a REALLY close war, at which point it outweighs diplomacy and maybe intrigue.

If it's a war where you cannot win through maneuver (due to the enemy having more stacks) or numbers (due to the enemy having more men), then it matters a lot. That means it matters most when you're already losing, but the already-losing part of the game kind of passes once you can mobilize 100,000 guys. Maybe even 50,000 guys.

It's definitely the least debilitating stat to have a zero in. From worst to best, I'd put the order as diplomacy, intrigue, stewardship, martial.

After a long time and a lot of reading over the last few days I have finally cougth up with the plot again. Congratulations General the story has developed into an incredible depth!
But if you ask me Methar is crazy. Unable to accept the truth he has created a world of his own in which he can rationalize all his actions. And thereby he is finally kicking poor Thomas completely over the edge.
I see a bloodbath coming. The only question is whether it takes place before or after Basil's death.

~Lord Valentine~

General_BT said:
Hi everyone!

I'm going to get to formal replies tomorrow probably, but for right now I'd just like to post the following to end any potential curiosity regarding David, Manuel and Thomas' fourth brother's stats. Keep in mind the little one is only ten, so there's room for improvement...

HerakliosKomnenos.jpg

Heraklios Komnenos, 1178 -
<3333333333333333333

Hey everyone!

Just FYI, I have four possible choices for the next update (and some neutral text typed up that can be used with any of the choices below - I'd say regardless of the choice, the updates about 20% done...). Since I'm going to be gone to Chicago until Thursday evening, I thought I'd give you all the choice as to which perspective you'd like to hear in the next update. What would have occurred in the options other than the one chosen will still make it into the update.

Your choices are:

1) Rodrigo - The hyperexarch attempts to throttle the brewing situation in Hispania before it can explode,
2) Sophie Komnenos - the Empress worries about her sons, and a growing situation with Basil,
3) Basil himself - the Emperor makes a radical decision that will change the course of the Empire and the succession, or
4) Heraklios Komnenos - the youngest son of Basil, who seems to be a favorite among several readers. :)

What I'll try to do with the next update that I'll type up Thursday night will be to include the top two perspectives in the update. Voting will end when I get home Thursday - likely around 830 Eastern time. So, let me know what you want to hear!

EDIT - Dimmimar - Sulieman is still on the Turkish throne, though his years are winding down rapidly...he's in his late 50s at this point.

Leviathan07 - I'm actually going to be going to one of those during my visit to Chicago tomorrow, ironically... :)

Avalanchemike - I take it you like Heraklios some? hehehehe Keep in mind, Basil is all the way back in Konstantinopolis... it'd likely take a month for news of Sophia's death to reach the city, then whatever interval is needed to decide on a course of action, then two months sail to Spain for the news (or troops) to arrive... the long travel time is precisely why Spain was broken into semi-independent exarchates. Basil could stop things... but would whatever his decision is get there in time before blood starts to flow?

asd21593 - If Mehtar succeeds at what he promises, the succession problems have been solved - Thomas will be without a doubt the most powerful and qualified son left (should Basil die immediately). If he fails, however, Mauretania would undoubtedly take the field against Tarraconensis... and Basil is all the way in Konstantinopolis at this point...

Lord Valentine - Heya! I would agree... Mehtar has gone a little crazy, and is attempting to rationalize the irrational - however, that's what makes him human despite his insane intrigue. What might separate him from someone with a lower intrigue is that Mehtar has a far better change of plotting his way out of situations like this than someone else... will that mean success though?

phargle - Exactly. If you're intrigue and diplomacy are high enough, you can talk or blackmail men with high martial rankings to fight for you, and with high stewardship you can bribe them. Martial just means you can do the hard work yourself...

Snugglie - Heya! Welcome to the AAR, glad to hear you're enjoying things! Yeah, the characterization of Michael Dukas has been a consistent favorite... now, I just need to be a good reader myself and get caught up again in Lothrangia!

kalenderee - All four sons got a church education, if I remember right... and in the case of the first three, it turned out rotten (at least in the morals department). Heraklios is undergoing the same, we'll see. And that is an excellent point about Mehtar... love and rage blinded him when he went after Sophia... he has no such impediments going after David... look for some cold calculated acts from Mehtar in the future...

Enewald - Mehtar is dangerously devoted to his love, to the point where clearly the future of Romanion is in a distant second place... if it can be seen at all.

DarthJF - David is a clever fellow, and will probably put two and two together. But that doesn't mean that a) he'd reason Thomas would send Mehtar after him, and b) that he'd be able to do much. Thomas hates David, he likely wouldn't listen to any reason for him, so long as Mehtar feeds Thomas false information that fans the flames... Rodrigo could probably communicate to Thomas, but he's just finished humiliating Thomas in front of the other exarchs... Thomas won't be keen to listen there either...

Ksim3000 - Exactly... this is a case of pure obsession, which has led an otherwise deviously brilliant mind astray. Will Mehtar pull off his plan without a hitch... who knows?

AlexanderPrimus - Great, that was my goal - keep reinforcing Thomas' brutishness and Mehtar's sliminess... Manuel is indeed out there, but he's been silent. Something tells me he's liking his exile on Lesbos. :)

canonized - Alot now rests on the shoulders of your golden haired boy in Cordoba... Rodrigo Jimenez might hold the keys to keeping the (chilly) peace between brothers, or play kingmaker in a brother's war, if he chooses...

Irenicus - The central Empire certainly wouldn't approve of two exarchates going to war, but as I pointed out above, from the center of the Empire, there's not much the Emperor can do for quite a length of time - six months or more. By the time Basil arrived with an army to enforce the peace, the affair could easily be solved by means either martial or foul...

Nikolai - True... though another point to make out is whether Rodrigo would want a solution to the mess... this whole affair places him in the position to play kingmaker, if only on Basil's behalf. If he chooses to side with one or the other, he can likely cajol the Exarch of Baetica to join in and help dogpile. Rodrigo is the son of royalty - he's loyal now, but arguably he has a crown well within his reach. Should something happen to Basil, who knows what might happen...

I'll go for 3) Emperor Basil. I always love getting a broader picture of the situation and what question could be more interesting at the moment than that of succession?

~Lord Valentine~

BOO , I want my blonde bombshell rodrigo on the forefront ! XD number one for me !