• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seems like ruling an empire is beginning to take it's toll on Basil. With the dreams of Hagios Demetrios I've been wondering a little while now, that perhaps Basil will begin to get mental problems at some point, and this update made me wonder again. Perhaps seeing his sons on each others throats will cause him to snap? That would definitely be bad.

I'm actually not particularly optimistic about sending Rodrigo off to Spain. Sure, he might be a capable administrator that could keep Spain firmly under Byzantium's thumb, but it's only delaying the inevitable. Eventually, the lid's going to come off and Iberia will be lost.

Is that worth depriving Basil of his last-remaining friend, when he's already clearly bordering on unstable, heavily drinking, and spiritually broken?

Well, Peace looks like its not going to hang around very long.

Whee! I'm back in town after a wonderful weekend in Chicago! Helped my friend move his stuff, met his family, had a wonderful night out in the city - it was a fun time and a well needed rest.

But you're not here to hear about that! :) The next update is well on its way - I would say it's perhaps 60% complete, with a target post date of tomorrow or Friday (tomorrow is more likely). So I've got a few replies for people, and after that, a short teaser update I managed to put together in the last hour introducing another of the main characters in the upcoming drama to unfold (in addition to Rodrigo, Sophie, David, Thomas, Manuel, Mehtar...)

Estonianzulu - When does peace ever seem to hang around the Komnenoi? If this family isn't starting trouble with the neighbors of Romanion, they're starting trouble amidst their own ranks... :p

AlexanderPrimus - Everyone's flawed, yes. Historians will probably remember Basil as the 'White Knight' so to speak, but considering what he's gone through, its almost understandable how he might turn to the bottle. He was raised to believe in honor and chivalry, and not only is he in a court thats filled with the opposites, he's also spent years on the battlefield, watching friends and comrades die before his eyes. Is he becoming a little unraveled - yes... is that a sign of him going off the deep end? Maybe... maybe not.

TC Pilot - If Rodrigo leaves, Romanion can hope that Sophie will at least keep Basil stable and on an even keel. And considering the options, Rodrigo was probably the best man for the job. However, that job is going to be daunting at best... and to use your metaphor, he'll have to sit tight on top of that boiling pot to keep it from exploding.

phargle - I was trying to find something that Basil might start doing as a result of everything he's been through - its 23 years later, he's not the starry eyed 16 year old kid that went off to Syria. He's had friends die from his mistakes and overconfidence, and I reasoned that would take its toll. Drink just seemed like a possible outlet for his character to deal with that... I was concerned after I finished it that I had brought out the growing alcoholism too much, but then again, its been a long time since we've had a Basil focused update, and I reasoned this would also be the type of thing the Emperor would only feel comfortable doing in front of people he trusted... hence why Thomas and David don't know about it... yet.

Enewald - Basil does have very vivid dreams... but will he turn to the dark side and become the next Ivan Grozny? Hmmm.. with sons like the ones he has, maybe it'd be a good thing? As for Rodrigo - you know he had to end up back in Spain!

DarthJF - I'll just say this - with his military skill and his basically godlike reputation in the Roman army, if Basil snapped, David and Thomas would both been in deep deep trouble. The biggest thing holding Basil back would be his alternatives - he has another son who's only 8, and after that, the crown would pass to his brothers, the only capable one being Leo. There are no Basil's amongst that bunch...

English Patriot - If he ends up like canonized's Rodrigo, we'll certainly have an entertaining Spain, I'll say that! :)

asd21593 - I see a dark future for Romanion as well. Basil's military reputation has kept the dynatoi in line so far... you can rest assured they won't remain quiet for Thomas, and probably won't for David even...

Fulcrumvale - Wow... thank you for the high praise. I tried, I actually wasn't very happy with the section myself, but that's author's hindsight, I suppose. Like I said above, I was concerned for a bit I wrote the alcoholism part too much, but I reasoned my way through it.

Irenicus - Hey! And just to reply to your 'comment on comments,' I guessed you were still reading, and I don't mind if the comments come each update or once a month! Yours tend to be very in depth, so they're always a treat to read. :) Firstly, you're right on - if there's any tragedy brewing around Basil, its despite being so capable, he hasn't reined in his sons. However, there's still time for him to act, if he wanted. And yes, Rodrigo has quite a few story miles left in him - shortly he will come into his own once in Spain. And finally, Mehtar is unfortunately head over heels for Thomas, hence his utter and complete backing of someone that has such foolish ideas. Thomas is a valorous commander - on the battlefield, he'd make a good subordinate. But a commander in chief? Not so much...

4th Dimension - If Thomas meets the Mongols, yes, that's his likely tactic... and if that does come to past, expect a Legnica of the East to take place...

canonized - Hmm... lovely idea, but no, that doesn't happen. But never fear! Rodrigo will definitely get his turn in the sun, intrigue wise, and he and Sophie will be "working together" in the very near future...

==========*==========​

October 8th, 1187

Rome-Lyde.jpg

Alienor Capet-Komnenos

History would never record Alienor Capet as a beautiful woman, and as sweat flowed freely off her brow, the wife of David Komnenos, Kaisar and exarch of Mauretania knew this was especially true. Her dark dresses were matted to her forehead, and her eyes, normally narrow and squinty, were still wide in shock and pain Yet her smile, crooked and imperfect it might be, was broad and beaming at the sound that greeted her ears - the healthy cry of a newborn baby.

Things between her and David had been cool even from the start – he was a notorious lecher, something she’d prepared herself for. Indeed, she’d had to prepare herself extensively to become a part of a Greek court as an outsider – its manners, customs, even language were alien to her. Yet Alienor had tried much, and accepted that her husband would infrequently at best visit her bedside. Yet nothing he prepared her for his blunt statement their wedding night, a night that should have been as blissful as that day was full of pomp, ceremony and celebration, that he would visit her only until she was pregnant, and then only revisit if the baby was a girl.

Alienor closed her eyes and felt the tears welling at the memory of that insult. She’d been shocked, appalled, enraged – but there was nothing she could really do. She was the foreigner after all – she knew there was no way for her to strike back. The women of the Komnenoi had long tried before – Hajnal, Basiliea – and had all failed. They’d struck back before they were prepared, before they were ready. Alienor Capet would be different. She would wait, she would have to become Greek, think like a Greek, act like a Greek, and most importantly of all, become accepted by the Greeks. Then she could begin planning in her own right – but that would take time, that would take patience. For now, she had a child to raise, boy or girl.

So she accepted her fate, and learned what she could. She’d built a few political alliances of her own, but with only modest goals for now – namely, to ensure she had some care after a son was born. She didn’t expect her Exarch husband to care much, so long as the child was healthy and looked after. As for the woman who bore her – he wouldn’t likely care much at all. She’d become friends with David’s council, and through her intelligence and wit she was sure that they would collectively suggest she be named one of the tutors to their young child – her foot in the proverbial door. She would be useful then, and have a reason to stay in the court of the Exarch.

She also wanted to be close the child for other reasons. She didn’t harbor any doubts there would be many who would love to see the child, if a son, perish – after all, he would be in line for the throne of Romanion, and should something happen to her brother Louis, the thrones of England and France as well. She had no doubt that her brother-in-law Thomas would have designs… but fortunately, he was in far away Barcelona, an exarch in his own right.

After a few desultory attempts, she had finally conceived. As her belly grew day after day, she’d spent her time getting used to and learning of the court she was now a part, here in far away Fez – now renamed Basiliopolis. The city’s magnificent minarets and Islamic architecture seemed alien to her – yet the Greeks seemed to flow amongst the heathen city with ease. Her husband was exceedingly lax with the natives, even allowing Moors to hold positions of importance – something she secretly disapproved of, yet she said nothing. It wasn’t her place, and it was not like David would listen.

Kyria!” the midwife shouted that unfamiliar Greek word for mistress. With more than a little effort, Alienor sat up, pain still shooting through her body.

“It’s a son!” the woman held Alienor’s child aloft, and for the first time, she could see her son. He was squirming viciously, crying and kicking with all his might. His twisted little face reminded her of a turnip, as he turned bright purple in his rage.

“Alexios,” Alienor softly whispered as the midwife laid the child on his mother’s bosom then began to clean up.

“Alexios,” Alienor whispered again, and as if by magic, the small kicking terror went silent and calm. She clutched the baby close – a son! An heir to the Komnenoi – and Alienor’s insurance she would matter…

Great teaser. Seems like the men of Komnenid just don't know to handle their women.

I look forward for the next update.

Alexios? Should there be an Alexios that will wreck the Empire? This is not that Alexios is ti?

I find it sad that Basil would take the pragmatic decision of forcing a political marriage onto his son, when he himself has been married for true love, and, moreover, bore witness to a long history of inter-family feuds caused by the cold connections of political marriages...

Considering Sophie herself proved to be one of his main supports both with her love and her talents, he should've known better in that a cordial, working relationship between the Emperor and Empress, or better yet, a true love like his own, can pay dividends far exceeding any benefits of a political marriage, and forcing his own son into an undesirable one is just guaranteeing future troubles for the Empire. I'm sure there are other ways to commemorate the peace between the Houses of Capet and Komnenos than a direct marriage of their heirs.

David would be quite justified to be a little bitter at his dad for it I think. Although that doesn't make the way he treat his wife any smarter. He, too, should've known better as to what happens when an Empress (or, in this case, a potential one) is scorned...

And finally, Alienor's confidence that she wouldn't make the mistakes of her predecessors is laughable, at least for now. Oh, sure, she might just pull it off, third time's the charm and all, but really now.

A sordid affair for all involved. Now it all hinges on how young Alexios will grow up, will he be the new Alexios I (probably having to save the Empire from the Mongols instead of the Turks this time) of our timeline or will he follow the short, tragic path of Alexios II? Or, for that matter, will he survive long enough since the spymaster genius Mehtar is on Thomas' side and David's succession far from certain?

The empire really should try to work out some sort of system whereby empresses aren’t constantly plotting against their husbands…but where’s the fun in that?

Another day, another update... this one bigger than the teaser!

asd21593 - I don't think Lyde from Rome was a Vestal Virgin, if I remember right. That's just the outfit she's got on in the picture...

Fulcrumvale - They really should - but plotting is rather endemic in the Byzantine system, so I doubt the plan would work... and you're right... it'd also be no fun! :)

Irenicus - Who knows at this point... in DV, Alexios' stats at this point are 0,0,0,0. Alienor's stats are considerably better. :) David's just basically willing to do his husbandly duty, then go off to be with his mistresses after he has an heir. Alienor's main advantage over other plotters is that right now she knows she's an outsider, so she doesn't want to even attempt plotting until she's become an insider, so to speak... Basiliea was plotting rather quickly, and Hajnal made little attempt to fit in as a foreigner. We'll see how successful Alienor is...

4th Dimension - No, that was an Anastasios that would wreck the Empire.

DarthJF - They really don't. Perhaps all the men of the Komnenoi should be required to attend relationship counseling. Save Basil, apparently.

Enewald - At this point, the world is Alexios' oyster. He's currently, without knowing it, second in line to the Byzantine throne, as well as the throne of France, and first in line to the throne of England. Now, as soon as Louis has children he will rapidly slip out of the succession, but for now, there's the theoretical possibility that Gaul and Britannia could become Roman provinces once more...

phargle - I tried... I whipped that up in about an hour, mostly because the main update wasn't ready and I wanted to post something. I think I might switch to a new posting style though... smaller, more frequent posts of individual scenes rather than long posts once a week. We'll see how it works out.

AlexanderPrimus - I've got a few surprises for you. ;)

So, without further ado, the main update for this week (at least, the first part of this week. :) )

basilromearisenbannercopy.jpg

October 19th, 1187

Mehtar Lainez slowly lowered his cowl as the great doors of the Ilios Palati (Sun Palace) closed behind him. The footfalls of servants hurrying about, lighting torches to combat the encroaching night, was a welcome change from when Mehtar had left over two weeks before, during the day when the sounds of construction echoed all around him.

When Mehtar and Thomas had arrived in Barcelona eight month prior, the only suitable residence had been the former Emir’s Palace, an aged structure that was in dire need of renovation. At Thomas’ demand, the palace’s name had been changed to Ilio Palati, with an extensive reconstruction authorized from the Exarchate budget. The project was near and dear to Thomas’ heart – so much so that when the owner of several stone quarries in Valenica precipitously raised his prices to pocket extra money, Thomas had ordered Mehtar there to ‘sort out the situation.’ After the budding entrepreneur had mysteriously fallen a hundred feet down one of his own quarries, and other masons and owners had received decapitated animals on their front steps, the message was heard loud and clear. Price gouging ceased.

While to the south, Thomas had also asked Mehtar to visit several of the more reticent comes as well, to “urge them to come north and render their oaths of service to the Exarch. The word about what had happened to the quarrymen had spread – all the comes were hurrying north in Mehtar’s wake.

Yet Mehtar didn’t rest on his laurels. Instead, he quickly left the main entrance hall, his quick, purposeful steps echoing off the still prominent Islamic murals that decorated the hallways of the palace. After several sharp turns, Mehtar finally pressed a hand to a seemingly innocuous stone in the wall. With a dull grating noise, a small passage opened out of the seemingly solid wall. Mehtar quickly ducked in, and closed the secret door behind him.

GranadaAlhambraLions2.jpg

The Palace of the Emir of Catalonia was originally built in 1102, to celebrate the fall of Zaragoza to the armies of the Sultan of Morocco. From 1176 onwards, however, the poor finances of the Emirate made sure that the palace fell into considerable disrepair.

In full darkness, sheltered by the stones of the structure, Mehtar quickly followed his course by rote memory. Finally, he reached the spot he knew, and felt along the wall. Another secret latch, and two small, bright points of light appeared in the wall facing him. Mehtar held his breath, and peeked through.

There he saw Thomas, dressed in his breeches and little else, and his new wife, with a similar lack of clothing – they were laughing and talking. For a second Mehtar’s mind hung on the image of his friend shirtless, before he dismissed the ogling part of his mind. He was here for a reason – questions he had needed answering. Questions about his friend, liege and lord, Thomas Komnenos.

His eyes flicked to the person that was the center of these questions – Sophia Kosaca. It’d been almost two month’s since Thomas’ marriage to the daughter of the Megos Domestikos. Yet her increasing prominence worried him. The woman was a vapid statue – she laughed at jokes she clearly didn’t understand. She murmured nonsensical, even idiotic statements. Yet she had begun sitting in Thomas’ council meetings, handing out advice on matters she didn’t know, and seemingly holding his rapt attention.

Yet that wasn’t the thought that rankled Mehtar the most. Thomas at times paid more attention to her than he did to Mehtar, his closest friend! He spent his evenings with her, his mornings with her, every single moment of the day with her! Thomas and Mehtar never dined alone like they used to, let alone slept in the same room like they used to sleep side by side in a campaign tent during the war. Mehtar had never been able to sleep well in the cold, empty bed of his luxurious apartments in the palace – yet it seemed Thomas didn’t share his problem.

At first Mehtar had been confident this was all a show – a public stunt to make the world think he was truly in love with Sophia. It made sense – she was the daughter of the Megos Domestikos, and she was in the eyes of many men, a beautiful creature. For Thomas to prefer Mehtar’s company to hers would have signaled to everyone he had the same problem as Emperor Nikolaios – which would never do. For the first two months of her stay here in Barcelona, Mehtar had told himself every day it was just a show, just an act.

But as time went on, and her role grew, he started to become unsure. Thomas kissed her in public, giggling. Mehtar knew his love – Thomas was not a good actor. Either he was playing his role far better than anyone expected… or…

Mehtar dismissed that thought as he watched. They were still talking – it was nonsensical, childish talk, the kind of talk that one whispered laughingly into the ear of a lover, the talk Mehtar longed to hear from…

Mehtar shook his head again. She whispered something to Thomas, and the Exarch responded by shoving her onto the bed with a giggle. Mehtar felt his emotions running high, but he kept himself in check. He’d seen such before – as he’d shadowed Brunhilde von Oesengaarde, unraveling that Frenchman Amalric’s network of spies in Konstantinopolis all those years before, as he’d laid poisonous snakes in the bed of sheikh of Zaragoza’s bed, compelling the city to surrender to Thomas without a bloody siege. Yet something was different about this time. He knew how one lover looked at another when nothing but pure pleasure was involved. He’d seen that when he’d shadowed Rodrigo Jimenez on a whim five years back. Or Amalric and Oesengaarde. He’d also seen it when there were emotions far stronger…

…could Thomas actually be…

…no! Mehtar shoved that thought from his mind, yet this time, it wouldn’t leave so quickly. He watched in rapt attention as events unfolded, hoping against hope that he’d see dull disinterest, feigned pleasure, but…

Mehtar shrunk back in absolute horror. Thomas was enjoying it! Absolutely, utterly enjoying himself! Enjoying her, as she enjoyed him! It definitely wasn’t the look of pure carnal pleasure he’d seen before! It was…

…no, Mehtar told himself. He wouldn’t use that word. Thomas couldn’t love Sophia! He loved Mehtar! That was plain to Mehtar’s eyes… they’d been best friends since the age of 5! He’d slept in Thomas’ tent! True enough, nothing had ever gone between them, not even a kiss, but Mehtar knew that was just because Thomas was afraid to acknowledge how he felt!

He pleaded with his eyes, hoping to get some indication he was wrong – that Thomas was doing this out of duty, out of need to produce an heir, and nothing else. Even if Thomas had simply been doing this to enjoy her body, and nothing more, Mehtar might have accepted it. Yet was Mehtar watched, Thomas’ enthusiasm clearly grew. He was completely, utterly enjoying it! This was more than duty… far more…

Mehtar felt rage boiling up within himself. He wanted to rip his eyes away, but the macabre, horrible image of his love enjoying the embraces of another seared his mind and held his gaze. How could Thomas do such a thing!? After all they had been through, after everything Mehtar had done for him! He’d killed men with his bare hands for his prince, he’d outwitted numerous plotters, he’d arranged for Thomas’ seizure of countless cities during the whirlwind campaign in northern Spain! How could Thomas so blatantly, so callously, break his heart!?

Unless it was her…

He tried to turn away again, but the noises from the room kept his eyes locked on them. There was love in his eyes, love in her eyes! Love – between them! Mehtar felt his hands clench, the world going red as rage filled his heart!

He wouldn’t let her get between him and Thomas! Never! The vapid tramp had been here only two months! He’d known Thomas for over 16 years! She must have tricked him – used some poison, some ruse, to take over Thomas’ mind. Some form of feminine sorcery, feminine wiles – she lured him, she would use him for some nefarious end!

That’s what it had to be! She’d tricked him, she’d fooled him! Thomas was so easy to read, so easy to lead on! And Mehtar had been gone these past few months, leaving him alone, defenseless, in the face of this harlot’s snares! Of course, it was her! It had to be! Thomas would never do such a thing on his own to hurt Mehtar, and no one could take his place in Thomas’ heart! No one should be able to!

Mehtar finally broke his eyes away from the scene, yet the noises still assaulted his ears. Quickly, he clapped his hands over his ears, and slowly sank to the floor of the secret passageway. She was attempting to steal Thomas from him! Tears flowed, yet even as they ran down his cheek, Mehtar kept himself from sniffling, or making any noise at all. They would hear – he must be quiet, he must think! How could he get his friend back, and drive off her undue influence?

He was clearly taken! She’d wrapped her spell around him so effectively around Thomas Mehtar knew by the way he’d looked at her, that he couldn’t just approach his friend. Scenarios ran through his mind, and he dismissed each in turn. His agents had yet to find her commit a single thing worth exile, and she was utterly faithful to Thomas – no treason there. As rage, anger and sadness boiled through his mind, Mehtar Lainez slowly reached one solution.

She was just like the Sheik of Zaragoza, just like Amalric, just like Oesengaarde, just like all the others. She was a threat to his liege, a threat to his friend, and there was only one way those types of enemies could be dealt with.

Sophia Kosaca had to die.

==========*==========
sophiakosaca.jpg

Sophia Kosaca, daughter of the Megos Domestikos and target of Mehtar’s jealous hatred.

Uh oh. So much for a peaceful Spain! So David has a son, Thomas has a new wife and a jealous friend, all in the Spanish powderkeg. David vs. Thomas. Rodrigo vs. the Exarchs. Mehtar vs. Sophia. Alienor and Alexios vs. Everyone. How will all of this end? More will be revealed next time Rome AARisen continues!

...Daaaaamn. However, this shows an EXCELLENT example of Mehtar-as-spider - something I wasn't quite buying with his prior characterization.

I feel sorta sorry for the guy, actually.

Also, if Alexios inherits the Byzantine throne and has a decent spymaster, the coffers of Romanion will basically doom Western Europe to Roman domination once more. (Heck, even if he doesn't - sufficient gold will eventually kill anyone.)

Well, Mehtar just lost it. I wonder how long it’ll be until his, ahem, condition becomes known. My bet’s on Rodrigo uncovering it, some time after Sophia dies but before the Civil War starts. But, then again, it’s Mehtar more than anyone else who has the potential to turn the Civil war from something which David could easily win into a years long slugging match, which probably means that he’ll be around for a while longer.

Ahh the neurosis takes over . This is going to be interesting