Romania - War Effort Suggestions for the Fascist & Communist Paths

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, less training time and boost to reinforce rate, would be cool, basically:
Codreanu - better internal politics.
Antonescu - better army.
Goga - more numerous army.

That's a good alternative.

• 3Like
Reactions:
While i havent check out the new update, seems like the devs took your word.

• 5Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
download (35).png

Too bad they didn't add in Mihail Lascar, but they managed to add some things I like. The NCP has a consumer good bonus, and I guess if Corneliu Zelea Codreanu becomes leader of Romania, you can keep Antonescu as a general which I don't agree with at all since he did command units during the start of operation barbarossa, but if you kill him, you get Antonescu as a leader who keeps his "Prince of Terror" trait, but you lose him as a general, so there's the trade-off there. Obviously, I think Codreanu needs a trait for this to work as opposed to killing him off and letting Antonescu lead instead.

Attachments

• download (35).png
    download (35).png
    479,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4Like
Reactions:
View attachment 944269
Too bad they didn't add in Mihail Lascar, but they managed to add some things I like. The NCP has a consumer good bonus, and I guess if Corneliu Zelea Codreanu becomes leader of Romania, you can keep Antonescu as a general which I don't agree with at all since he did command units during the start of operation barbarossa, but if you kill him, you get Antonescu as a leader who keeps his "Prince of Terror" trait, but you lose him as a general, so there's the trade-off there. Obviously, I think Codreanu needs a trait for this to work as opposed to killing him off and letting Antonescu lead instead.
Wait, that's ALL the NCP does? No Lancieri and stuff like that.......disappointing tbh
But i'm glad they at least fixed the fascist leaders

Reactions:
View attachment 944269
I also agree about Mihail Lascar, a real shame.

Reactions:
While I'm glad they're making updates, it's hard not to be disappointed with all the missed opportunities that wouldn't require that much investment to do either. I can't make up my mind if I'm grateful or just think it's half assed. Probably both. Mostly positive though, I don't want to be negative and they deserve praise for changes like this regardless how small.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I also agree about Mihail Lascar and a trait for Codreanu.

Reading about Mihail Lascar, he really seems to be the Erwin Rommel of Romania. He has the first non-German to receive the highest German medal and he wasn't even a supporter of the ideology.

And when the front broke in Stalingrad because the Romanians didn't have anti-tank. Lascar's group managed to hold the line, not a step back, despite having no anti-tank and the Soviets having tanks.

He was eventually captured because the front broke left and right of him, the German command didn't order his retreat and he was fully encricled from all sides. But even as encyrcled, when the Soviets where fighting the Germans in Stalingrad, he was still fighting the Soviets, in his original position when Opperation Uranus began. A tough nut to crack.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I for one am very grateful that the devs took the time to update Romania.

Thank you for your contribution, I really appreciate you!

While it is true they didn't include a trait for Codreanu or general Mihail Lascar, the devs have a limited amount of resources and time and they couldn't invest all of it in Romania.

Not to mention the war efforts are basically free updates and the Hoi4 team is small as far as I can tell. They have other things to worry about as well.

My guess is that they took a conservative approach, adding all at once would have the risk of causing more bugs which means more testing which means more time. Already there is a bug with "Codreanu Dies" event that messes everything up in the open beta.

Possibly, the other suggestions will be implemented in future war efforts when the current version is stable. But so far, I'm thankful for their initiative.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I just played a game as Communist Mexico. Trosky was: Country Leader, Chief of Staff, Field Marshal.

I think it's BS that Ion Antonescu gets removed as a Chief of Staff and Field Marshal when:
a) Many other countries have people to fit all 3 roles.
b) He was drawing battleplans as the leader of the country and did command units during the early stages of Barbarossa.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I just played a game as Communist Mexico. Trosky was: Country Leader, Chief of Staff, Field Marshal.

I think it's BS that Ion Antonescu gets removed as a Chief of Staff and Field Marshal when:
a) Many other countries have people to fit all 3 roles.
b) He was drawing battleplans as the leader of the country and did command units during the early stages of Barbarossa.
Wait, you can make Trotsky your field marshal?

Thought only Trotskyist Soviet Union who can do that

Also support for the OP's suggestions, hope that Romania would be fuller in the future.

Reactions:
Try and remember these updates are intended to be iterative. Just because something isn't done now doesn't mean it'll never be done.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Trotsky isn't a field marshal for Mexico, his only roles are leader and chief of army.
I know that already, hence the question since i thought only Trotskyist USSR who can do that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
But in Turkey Ataturk is a general despite being the leader of the country. I don't see why this wouldn't be the case for Antonescu given that he drew battleplans and commanded units while being the leader of the country.

There is still an issue with Octavian Goga. When you take the focus "National Christian Party" the leader doesn't change to Octavian Goga, it remains Codreanu / Antonescu, although the focus' description says that the leader is changed to Octavian Goga.

There is a piece of code called "Hidden effect - Remove country leader role : character Octavian Goga". Not sure why you would add a hidden effect that removes Octavian Goga in the same focus that promotes Octavian Goga.

Maybe the hidden effect was added by mistake and everything would work out if it would just be removed? or the programmer meant "promote" instead of "remove"?

Also, if this issue is still being fixed, can we get starting trait for Codreanu as well? Antonescu has Prince of Terror and Goga has Anti-Democrat, Codreanu is left out.

Would be cool of Codreanu had something like Headstrong (he was pretty stubborn) or Nationalist Symbol (fascim) ?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Sadly, the open beta ended before the Octavian Goga being unplayable bug got fixed.

Hopefully, they'll do a quick fix.

For Codreanu's trait, I agree with Headstrong but think Nationalist Symbol is a terrible choice for him. He was a fully-fledged fanatic, fascist symbol yes, but nationalist no.

Codreanu was crazy even for fascist standards.

I think Ideological Crusader would be the perfect fit for Codreanu.

"Ideological Crusader" highlights how much of a fanatic he was, and the traits (Party Popularity Stability Modifier: +10% & Same ideology monthly opinion: +100%) show that he was Hitler's and Mussolini's favourite choice in terms of fascist leaders of Romania.

In 1935, Codreanu went on record stating his contempt for Romania's alliances in Eastern Europe, in particular the Little Entente and the Balkan Pact, and indicating that, 48 hours after his movement came into power, the country would be aligned with Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy.

And both German officials and Italian Foreign Minister Galeazzo Ciano reciprocated his statement.

I wrote in this post that Germany reasoned that Romania's change of course towards the Axis was insincere and made only because they had no other choice.
This would not have been the case if Corneliu Codreanu would have become the leader of Romania. Likely, Romania would have become Germany and Italy's most trusted ally.

I mean, Corneliu Zelea Codraenu went to Germany in his student years, he was very fond of a certain bar named Burgerbraukeller and would always go there in his free time to listen to the speeches of a certain Adolf Hitler.

He is as close to "an apprentice of Adolf Hitler" as you can get.

Alternatively, Smooth-Talking Charmer or Tenacious Negotiator would also work for him since he was described as very charismatic.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Update:

Historical context of the events:
-
In 1936 we have: Democracy with main parties PNL and PNT
- 36% votes PNL and 20% votes PNT in 1937
- In February 1938 Carol II changes the constitution and becomes dictator (with his own personal party - FRN)
- In Novemember 1938 basically "Crack Down on Extremism" happens and Codreanu is killed and replaced by Horia
- In 1940 Romania loses all 3 territories and the population hates the king.
- To save his image, King Carol II appoints a popular and well-respected general Ion Antonescu as Prime Minister
- Prime Minister Ion Antonescu tells the king that the only way to save the country from complete instability is to have himself abdicate in favor of his son.
- King Carol II transfers dictatorial powers to Ion Antonescu and not so forcefully abdicates (except forced by the circumstances)
- Ion Antonescu (now with full dicatorial powers) decides to make a new goverment.
- PNL and PNT refuses to take part in it, only the Iron Guard accepts.
- Ion Antonescu is forced to make a new government with the Iron Guard and whatever independent (non-aligned) he can scrap.
- Ion Antonescu gets into conflict with the Iron Guard (now led by Horia Sima after Codreanu's death) over a lot of issues including REDACTED
- Ion Antonescu gets guarantees from Adolf Hitler that he won't intervene (who wanted a stable Romania and prefered Ion Antonescu's pragmatism and military experience over the Iron Guard, who while ideologically closer weren't seen as reliable).
- Ion Antonescu slowly starts to replace Iron Guard ministers with his own men.
- The Iron Guard revolts.
- Ion Antonescu wins.
- Iron Guard seeks and receives asylum in Germany (Adolf Hitler wanted a safe card to keep Ion Antonescu in check, always have an alternative).
- Opperation Barbarossa begins.

@SpitzeDerKlinge just wanted to let you know that some of my ideas were implemented. :D

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: