• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And i hope not ...
Seriously, what romance you imagine? :-/
Like in Bloodlines 1, except more fleshed out and hopefully also with guys and not just girls? (Nothing against VV, but... more options are nice?). Hell, thinbloods have been known to procreate.

ME-style romance... who knows. But flirting, relationships and sensuality... *cough*Elif*cough*Certain comments/jokes in interviews*cough* I'm looking forward to seeing what they're planning.

If that's really not your thing, don't spent too much time flirting with NPCs and you should be able to just ignore the presence of romance.

Last edited:
I think I would have trouble taking seriously an elder vampire who shacks up with some wet behind the ears neonate.

I'm fine with vampires throwing around a bit of sensuality, but I'd rather that sensuality be a weapon and when some powerful elder starts flirting, that should set off warning bells, not wedding bells.

I to like and even prefer games with romance options in them.

I hope that we can turn someone into a ghoul like we did with heather in Bloodlines 1 and then they end up staying with you

I think I would have trouble taking seriously an elder vampire who shacks up with some wet behind the ears neonate.

I'm fine with vampires throwing around a bit of sensuality, but I'd rather that sensuality be a weapon and when some powerful elder starts flirting, that should set off warning bells, not wedding bells.

How can you say that when the
TOREADOR exist

Last edited:

Yes and no, personally? It should definitely be a weapon - hell, even in the original Bloodlines both Jeanette and VV were obviously manipulating you. But just because it's being used as a weapon doesn't mean that other thing aren't involved (or might unintentionally creep in, or even take over), and that ambiguity is what can make this kind of thing really work (together with your own decision how much you character is flirting/playing along for the same reasons). Can make, because it's rather hard to pull off well, but I'm reasonably confident this writer team has the chops, so to speak.

As for elders... well, first off we have to see how many, if any, are around. Someone embraced at Seattle's founding still wouldn't be an elder.
And I can imagine scenarios where such a pairing up could happen - you're just a neonate, sure, but I'd be very surprised if you stayed unimportant for long (I mean, there are multiple endings. You need to make a difference), so manipulating the player character that way could be worthwhile? And if the elders humanity is high enough, it might become... somewhat less dispassionate than they were intending? So warning bells are definitely appropriate, but it might not end badly... maybe? :D
Or the elder could be Toreador and just obsess about you, but you don't want that.

I to like and even prefer games with romance options in them.

I hope that we can turn someone into a ghoul like we did with heather in Bloodlines 1 and then they end up staying with you

When they were asked about ghouls in an interview they stated they couldn't take about it yet, so fingers crossed there will be something like this.
Although personally that wouldn't be a romance I'd pursue, because the blood forces them to love you.

Last edited:
An option might be to romance some of the npcs your character might have known in his/her life prior to being turned . Or possibly new ones. as the story progresses they can choose between his romance options and that could effect the overall story

Not sure about having actual romances but I think you're going to be able to seduce and charm your way through some events. Also, Heather wasn't exactly a romance option in BL1 but I found her attachment to us kind of endearing? It doesn't have to be centred around sex (because not all vampires are going to get pleasure from it nor have the patience to fake it) but it feels nice to know we have someone out there who cares and worries about us. In fact, I would be pleasantly surprised if Bradley (the thin-blood who helps us out) were to become that person. But that's just my opinion mixed with wishful thinking.

Shallow content just to "please" those who want romance in every game? No. Either it's fleshed out and it feels natural or better off not even going there. Fan-fiction exists for a reason. Also, if the devs are going down that route then I would like to see more M/M content this time around as well.

Given blood bonds description, which every ghoul is under (V5 p233f):
(...) Anyone who drinks the Blood of a vampire becomes progressively more attached to their donor until finally, after three drinks or more, the Bond reduces them to servile lackeys when in the donor’s presence. Vampires call the one Bonded the thrall, and term the source of the Bond the regnant. When under a completed Blood Bond, the thrall experiences a sense of loyalty, sometimes even infatuation, toward their regnant. They attempt to please their master, becoming wary and eventually even terrified of angering them. (...)
I'd call that when coupled with a romance quite creepy.

But then again i'd rather prefer to see no romance story than your average gamey romances we got in quite a lot rpgs. Do Y x times to gain a bonus... while those characters to woo seemingly weren't really looking at 'character' is imo quite bad.

Not sure about having actual romances but I think you're going to be able to seduce and charm your way through some events.
They stated that explicitly in the gamereactor interview:
"We have options for leveling up, coercion, and intimidating people into doing stuff for you. You can level up your negotiation skill, which means you can bluff faster, you can flirt your way through conversations if you want, if you're very charismatic."

Also, Heather wasn't exactly a romance option in BL1 but I found her attachment to us kind of endearing?
Personally, I had the same reaction the first time I played it. Replaying it after being much more experienced with VtM, it just felt painful - she can't not love us. The bloodbond is really scary.

It doesn't have to be centred around sex (because not all vampires are going to get pleasure from it nor have the patience to fake it) but it feels nice to know we have someone out there who cares and worries about us. In fact, I would be pleasantly surprised if Bradley (the thin-blood who helps us out) were to become that person. But that's just my opinion mixed with wishful thinking.

A 100% this. I wouldn't exclude the possibility of sex (thinbloods can enjoy it, so can high-humanity vampires with blush of life; not to mention the players), but it really shouldn't follow the usual "level up intimacy until the relationship is consummated by sleeping (after which nothing happens in the romance anymore)" formula.

Shallow content just to "please" those who want romance in every game? No. Either it's fleshed out and it feels natural or better off not even going there. Fan-fiction exists for a reason. Also, if the devs are going down that route then I would like to see more M/M content this time around as well.

I wouldn't worry about the last one (or F/M stuff that isn't "just another way to succeed at this dialogue node", for that matter), considering what Ellison wrote in her two-parter on Bloodlines 1 - I expect sexy stuff for everyone :D

Yeaaah, well, romance is one of human prerogatives, and toreador qualities display it as a SPECIAL ABILITY. It means that for normal vampires it should be really hard to have that kind of feeling because they don't have any representing bodily desires. How far you can get with purely platonic love? Does this game really need that kind of romance? In World of Darkness, it probably should be the opposite: to see, how your former love gets shuttered apart due to your new, inhumanly nature. Probably as a bonus for having REALLY HIGH humanity you could save your feelings?
But I could totally see a kind of romance to manipulate humans and ghouls. That's what actually means to be toreador, using sexuality as a tool.

Then just go “renegade” and don’t do it at all , or with yourself lol, but I still think this should be an option because of all the depth it could add.

All I'm hoping for is that, if there are any romances, that they are more "mature". This ain't a Disney movie. :D
Heather is BL1 isn't in love with the PC (not of her own free will, anyway), and as for VV and Jeanette love and sex is simply an act to manipulate. BioWare's type of romances (Bastila in KotOR1, or any of the Dragon Age/Mass Effect) don't seem appropriate for a VtM game, that's all.

How can you say that when the
TOREADOR exist
Well ... they are kind of reason why he can say that. :D

Anyway ...
I must admit that faked/manipulative romance (not leading to sex) seems like interesting choise ...
But still MassEffect style seem incredibly inacurate to Vampire game. (It was inacurate even there though ... shoot BioWare, they all are on suicide mission, AND THEY KNOW IT! ... do you realy want us to believe they will wait whole game for "that one perfect night with his/hers true love"? Who are you fooling here, srsly? :D )

I'd definitely love to see romance options...if they're well made.

Also, considering our character starts as a thinblood and Cara Ellison (I think?) said that our life before turning (and also the backstories of the other thinbloods) was very important, I think it only makes sense to see our character(s) struggling with human emotions (love towards their spouse/boy-girlfriend/or somebody they wanted to be with). Sure, we're vampires; but everything is so new for us. In the grand scheme of things, being a vampire is the exception for our character, not the norm. We've been human for 99,99% of our life: I don't think the realistic reaction for somebody who's been turned a week ago would be to shutdown their feelings entirely.

Plus if vampires were emotionless/sentimentless monsters, roleplaying as them would be uninteresting. Also, that's definitely how they're portrayed in the games. As long as your character can make positive/kind choices in the game, I don't see why our character should be unable to love somebody else, or even simply care deeply for somebody else. In the demo, we're given the opportunity to not kill Slugg even though he tries to kill us. That's a really nice thing to do, considering we're vampires, so "monsters". If we can do that, why couldn't we love somebody?

And even if we were to play a lower generation vampire, I do recall reading about a Prince (of Paris, I think?) that was co-ruling with "his wife" or something. It's not unheard of older vampires to have feelings for another person/vampire. Unlinking vampire & romance is pretty weird, considering those two themes are so intertwined in popular culture...