• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Some huge gains. Hopefully Roman officials can get order in the liberated provinces soon.

Some huge gains. Hopefully Roman officials can get order in the liberated provinces soon.

They're mostly Romans and about 2/3 of the provinces are Hellenist already. You'll see how I handled the issue of Christian rulers in the next update. Normally I'd just bribe them to convert but revoking the Ostrogothic titles plus short reign and wrong religion gives me too much of an opinion malus. I can get them in the positive but not to the point of actually liking me. Luckily being empire tier gives me options.

Roman Power
Aeneas had organized a triumph to celebrate his victory over the Italians and the restoration of Roman rule over it's homeland. At last the work of rebuilding the Empire could truly begin. But this was not the full extent of the day's celebrations for he had taken the convent timing of the war's end to hold the triumph on the 6th birthday of his twin sons and heirs. At the closing ceremony, he called his sons to him. They came forward, kneeled before him and all the people present at Ravana's Forum and declared them Men of Rome. He commanded that they rise and as they did so, 2 Ostrogothic slaves walked over to them. Each slave held a purple pillow and on each pillow rested a golden ornament in the shape of a gladiolus. "This was the weapon that forged our Empire and before it the Republic. This was the weapon that saw Hannibal chased back to Africa and Vercingetorix brought to justice. In time you will earn proper weapons but for know take these ornaments as symbols of your power and that of our resurgent Empire."

Y5UIuq0.png

Crown Prince Aeneas at the start of his education.

jcGf57l.png

Prince Victorinus at the start of his education.

9yZZNbf.png

Aeneas offered the messenger a bemused look before responding, "The Hellenic Legion, truly?"

"Yes, my Emperor. Nor do we bost falsely for hubris is a sin. A legion we truly are, ready to defend the True Gods of Olympus as you have done yourself."

"Do you offer your order's fealty?"

"No, my Emperor. While we hold you in high esteem, our king, if we have 1 at all, is Zuse and no other."

"Then go in peace and with my support," said Aeneas nodding.

The following year and a halfe was a busy time for Aeneas, particularly in regards to his family. His sons quickly took to their education like fish to water, hungry for every piece of knowledge they could squeezed out of their father and the tutors assigned to them.

r0wviRw.png

gcK0Ey5.png

Jvxs5yn.png

gkf7YIR.png
QfGweJr.png

8hbRat4.png

At the end of this period, Aeneas felt order had been sufficiently restored. Moving the capital to Rome, he gathered the Imperial Court and the high nobility of Italia to announce new appointments.

ITmGvPK.png

Crown Prince Aeneas was the 1st to be called forward. As he kneeled his father spoke proudly, "I name you Despot of Annonruria and task you with the administration and defence of northern Italia. May this task aid the Empire and ready you to rule in my place."

Crown Prince Aeneas gave the necessary oaths and rushed back to his waiting and now cheering friends.

xhe7BQI.png

Prince Victorinus was called forward. As he kneeled, his father spoke in the same proud tone he had before, "I name you Despot of Dalmatia and task you with the administration and defence of our family's homeland."

Prince Victorinus, more collected than his brother, solemnly gave the necessary oaths then said, "Thank you, Father. I accept this task with the utmost respect and will see it done to the best of my abilities."

s88Z1Dc.png

Manlius was called forward. The man had already served as Vicar of Picenum Suburbicarian for most of the past year and personal issues aside had proven extremely competent in the position. "I name you Magister Officinalis. As is tradition, I give my ministers a power base to aid their efforts but as you refuse to fulfil the requirement of honoring the Olympians I find my efforts frustrated." The gathered courtiers and nobles began murmuring at the idea of a minister being so publicly insulted but Aeneas wasn't done, "Instead I name you Vicar of Picenum Suburbicarian to rule in my name until death or a replacement is named."

Manlius offered his oath of fealty and returned to the feast.

pjmBAdO.png

Licinius was called forward. A general and veteran of the liberation of Italia, he had become a close friend of Aeneas and was a logical choice. "My friend, you have served well in the past few years and have on numerous occasions made major breakthroughs in enemy lines. I now find myself in need of a new Magister Militum and would name you to the position."

Kneeling, Licinius responded, "It would be my honor, my Emperor." He then gave the necessary oaths.

wiWtRH4.png

Jovian was called forward. A trader of slaves in Rome, he was a successful and well connected businessman with rumored ties to the Western Patriarch. "If you submit, I shall name you Quaster. What say you?"

"I say... It would be an honor." Jovian then kneeled and gave his oath of fealty.

84fvbQQ.png

Ovida was called forward. A nobleman and general (though of little influence), he had made a name for himself aiding Trajan in buying the men that gave Ravana's gates to the Empire. With Trajan needed in the north, Ovida was an obvious replacement. Not being anyone of note byond his command, his appointment was met with little fanfare and he quickly gave the necessary oaths before returning to the feast.

0F1k7X1.png

Atlast a little known man named Otho was called forward. A prodigy of the previous Diviner, Julius, he was the natural successor. Like Ovida, his lack of standing left him without much fanfare and as he approached Aeneas most had already given their full attention to the truly impressive feast before them. Otho quickly gave the nessasary oaths before returning to Julius side to resume a heated conversation they'd been having.

yAzdtpH.png

The Western Roman Empire in 489.

Reactions:
So I made all the Christians viceroyalties. This dealt with the too many held duchies malus without losing the titles or violating the way I've been RPing Aeneas. The next part will cover the politicking with the pope and getting the Vandals out of Italy so I can start incorporating the kingdom into the de jure empire.

Reactions:
Very interesting AAR! I'm not familiar with the mod, but it looks great. :)

I do wonder how the Empire will cope when the time comes for the great Aeneas to depart to Elysium!

Very interesting AAR! I'm not familiar with the mod, but it looks great. :)

I do wonder how the Empire will cope when the time comes for the great Aeneas to depart to Elysium!

And that is why I gave my kingdom vassals to my sons. No risk of rebellion and being twins with near identical tarists (as I educated them both), no risk of a pretender war either. I also had a bit of surprising luck (I actually think it was a bug due to how abrupt the change was and the portraits getting messed up but I went with it.) regarding most of my Christian vassals. Now how things will go after Aeneas II... That's not foreshadowing by the way, I haven't played that far yet. The Empire is in mostly good shape at the end of my last play thru but I'm having sectarian issues.

The Eastern Empire just had a major civil war (during a regency *shudder*) but unless I missed something the boy Emperor won. I was tempted to grab some holy sites but you can only grab 1 at a time without claims (pagan county conquest) and the war ended before my chancellor could do his thing. I'm still fabricating, large empires with minor rulers don't tend to be stable so I might get another shot. With luck I'll be able to reform the Papacy under its rightful Hellenic rulers and put an end to the Christian usurpers. :cool:

Eastern and Western Rome surely belong under one Emperor. But there are also the question of the barbarian kingdoms to the south, west and north... The Emperor seems to be the right man to do some Julius Caesaring...

Eastern and Western Rome surely belong under one Emperor. But there are also the question of the barbarian kingdoms to the south, west and north... The Emperor seems to be the right man to do some Julius Caesaring...

If the threat level doesn't risk the whole of Europe coming down on me, I'm thinking of conquering North Africa starting with the Vandals. I don't think I'll be able to manage the East until I'm on equal footing with them and marriages aren't an option due to wrong religion. The next 50 years will most likely see Spain and Gaul brought back into the Empire. The Eastern Empire might be a logical target after that if rebels don't cut it down to size for me before that. I'm thinking, holy sites aside, that I'll make the East a tributary. Let the AI micromanage that mess. It would certainly fit into the historical mindset, the Empire was split for a reason.

Reactions:
Men Of The Faith

RcXDmkR.png

"The fool," Aeneas exclaimed. He had just received word from the Western Patriarch and usurper (by virtue his faith more than any action he'd taken personally) of the papal crown condemning Imperial efforts to return the Roman people to the True Gods of Olympus. Not only was the papal bull harshly worded but he had threatened excommunication of all Romans of note, nobel and low born, who did not actively resist the religious reforms. "How dare the fool challenge my authority! After all these years I have never once questioned his position despite it rightfully belonging to me as Emperor. Never once have I removed from power Christian Romans for reasons not secular. Never once, despite my efforts to restore the True Faith, have I moved to persecute my Christian citizens. And yet despite my active efforts to coexist he does this?"

The gathered ministers sat quietly. They had been warned by a Vatican envoy of the coming papal bull and had expected Aeneas to go into a violent rage. That he was angry but mostly civil had surprised them and none dared speak and risk pushing him over the edge.

"Nothing?!"

Silence.

"Fine! You need not speak..." Aeneas looked at the gathered ministers coldly before continuing, "Licinius, you will gather the city guard and drag the bastard before me in chains. If you fail... Don't bother returning."

"Yes... Yes, my Emperor. It will... Be done."

g0YRUYH.png

Western Patriarch and Pontifex Maximus Lando 'the Cruel' upon his arrest deposition.
With the deposition of Lando, Aeneas was quick to place his Divner upon the Vatican Hill. He himself refused to take the title of Pontifex Maximus declaring he had not yet done his duty to the True Gods and was thus unworthy. The outrage that broke out across Western Europa was great but none dared challenge the resurgent Western Empire while the Eastern Patriarch and Alexandrian Pontifex quietly approved the removal of their increasingly rebellious rival in the West.

uSDNn4g.png

Reactions:
Sorry for the short update. The screenshots didn't upload right and it's getting late. I'll try to get the rest up tomorrow.

As you can see, I've dealt with the pope and am now working on the Faith Authority to restore the Pontifex Maximus.

Good to see an update. :) sorry to hear about your uploading troubles.

Men Of The Sword
The next few years past in peace for the Western Empire. Following the bloodless deposition and exile of the Christian pretender from the Vatican Hill, the Christians of Italia quickly came to see their error. Nobles and low born alike were quick to swear their oaths to the True Gods and in less than 2 years most of the Roman ruling class had abandoned their Christian heresy.

Secular life also improved in these years. The villages and towns saw new births and the farms replanted, the towns saw increased trade surpassing even what they had known before the wars of liberation and peasants, merchants and rising political stars flocked to the cities (especially Rome) to seek their fortunes and make their names. With the restored lands and improving economy, the Imperial Treasury saw increased tax revenue prompting an expansion of the Roman Army and a decreased reliance of levies while the nobles sought to take loans so as to expand the infrastructure of the areas they ruled. Hardly the greatness of the past, the Western Empire saw new growth all the same and few still viewed it's demise was imminent. Indeed the Eastern Empire had invested in reestablishing a permanent embassy in Rome, such was their faith that the Western Empire was an institution that would endure.

This peace proved brief and 3 years later the 1st of a series of new wars broke out and for a 2nd time, the Christians rose up. Perhaps the Dalmatians had been sufficiently beat down or perhaps the rebel leaders felt striking at the heart of the Western Empire would have a destabilizing effect. Either way this 2nd rebellion struck far closer to home.

y9tlJot.png

Aeneas looked coldly at Licinius before responding to the debriefing he'd just received, "Again?! This is insane, they must know it's a lost cause."

Licinius nodded grimly before replying, "Indeed. I suspect the fact that it's a lost cause is
why they've chosen to rise up. They see that Christianity's hold in the West has proven temporary and so attempt a last stand. Frustrating as it may be, I must admire their bravery and piety."

Aeneas sighed then replied, "Maybe but I'd hoped to have another year at least to build up our forces for the coming campaign."

"They won't prove too much a nuisance I'd think."

"Not as it currently stands but these things can get out of hand quickly. We may find ourselves defeating this army only to receive word that another has risen in it's place. I have no doubt they'll never pose an existential threat but if this rebellion doesn't prove easy to crush, we'll be too distracted to continue the reconquest."

"Then I'll see to it they are easily crushed, my Emperor," with that, Licinius offered a stiff salute and quickly left to assemble the army. He would keep his word.

VVzotHI.png

Aeneas look upon the gathered ministers as they took their seats. Once everyone was settled in, he began, "It is time." He paused for effect before continuing, "The goal I set for us upon my ascension has not yet been realized, Italia is still stained by barbarian rule. For too long the Vandals have plagued us, occupying Corsica and Sardinia from which they've sent out pirates and commanding a foothold in Sicily from which they've raided the parts of the island we control. While no threat to the Empire as a whole, they've nonetheless had a noticeably negative impact on tax revenue and have at times outmatched the local garrisons and levies in Sicily."

Licinius spoke up, "Then we are to take these islands? This is the campaign of which you've spoken of the past few years?"

"Yes, do you object?"

"No, my Emperor. I would simply like to point out that we're dealing with a foe as strong as Italia before our wars of liberation with a strong navy to boot and the high walls of Carthage. These are no peasant rabble or barbarian tribesmen we'd be fighting. We can win, I've made a point of building up the navy to deal with the Vandal pirates of which you complain and our own army is larger. That said this fight won't be easy and it will cost much in coin and blood. While I don't attempt to dissuade you, I am duty bound to warn you of the cost."

"I appreciate your warning. I understand the cost which is why I haven't struck sooner. That said, we now have, as you yourself have stated, the necessary ships and soldiers to see this thru. Delaying would only give the Vandals time to bring more of Africa under their control thus making the coming war all the harder. We must strike now while we are in a position of strength."

The meeting continued for another hour as the ministers voiced concern and offered advice. After hearing everyone out, he issued the order to strike.

wjVyMfO.png

MCVURBO.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
A repeat of the Punic wars, eh? I like it.:)

Roman fanboy here, and I like this AAR!
More AARS on this need to be done!

Roman fanboy here, and I like this AAR!
More AARS on this need to be done!

I myself think the Romans were the bad guys but this mod doesn't go back far enough for me to make things right and make Europe Punic. I'm an unabashed Carthaginian (Hannibal Barca really) fanboy. The Romans are a good consolation prize though.

Fair enough.
Despite being a roman fanboy, I respect carthage. *shakes hand*