• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
N5kt35s.png

On the second day of February, A.D. 2204, Legatus Scientiae Servius Geminius and the crew of the RNSL Marcian reported signs of an ancient civilization dating back roughly six hundred millennia. The records found indicate they called themselves the “Cybrex” and that they seemed to be some form of mechanical organism. Other data indicate that they attempted to exterminate all organic sapients at some point in the past. We and the curators are most likely one of many other organic life forms—or were, if the Cybrex were successful. Some time later, a strange, seemingly “living” metallic substance was discovered around the moon of Berto VI. Time will tell if they are somehow related.

On the second of August, A.D. 2204, the colony ship bound for Alpha Centauri III, renamed Acherusia by the colonists, made planetfall and began the process of colonization. The colonization project is estimated to complete on the first of August, A.D. 2209.

n8t1Mv7.png

b7xkm82.png

On the twenty-fifth of February, A.D. 2206, the science ship RNSL Plinius, under the command of Legatus Scientiae Maio Suedius, discovered an ancient and seemingly abandoned colony. A note was made to undertake further investigation once the system is incorporated into our borders.

Shortly thereafter, on the fourteenth of March the same year, construction of a starbase in the Bal Durk system was completed, to facilitate communications with the Curator Order.

1n8XEq6.png

9vlX5x1.png

Then, on the first of August, Legatus Servius made contact with another alien empire, the Khateran Guardians, while scouting the Dwithim system. These Khaterans seem to be a theocratic empire that has existed for millennia, with the power to match such seniority, though their society’s growth seems to have stalled.

UyECq5G.png

August the seventh, A.D. 2208. A form of particularly volatile matter was discovered by Mag. Sc. Maio on B1R-11B1 in the Duvios system. These especially high-energy particles will prove difficult to mine, but once we develop the methods to do so, we should be able to harvest them for use in explosive or reactor technology.

nfjM1iB.png

pGE14TD.png

On the eighth of December, A.D. 2208, the Marcian encountered another space-faring alien species in the Mecura system. This species does not seem to have prior knowledge of our language, so it is most likely one that discovered hyperlane travel roughly around the same time as we did. Roughly eight months later, the colonization of Acherusia completes on schedule and development begins apace.

sIm3vFl.png

The unknown aliens’ chittering, clacking language is finally translated and we make our first contact with the Allied Niakaw Republic. They are a democratic republic that have apparently been spacefarers longer than we have. Recognizing that war would be foolish against the technologically and numerically superior empire, Princeps Lusius swiftly made offers of commercial, scientific, and non-aggression treaties, which Prime Minister Salklon Ytanaca soon accepted on behalf of the Niakaw.

ln2aktd.png

The known galaxy, as of the third of January, A.D. 2210.

Last edited:
vFcxzQt.png

LFCTj13.png

On the sixteenth of April, A.D. 2210, a ruined structure bearing the hallmarks of a military coordination site, was discovered in the Thrikshon system. Our Legati Scientiae and Legati Classis are abuzz with the news, clamoring for the expedited colonization of the system.

Z7HsTfI.png

In November of 2210, with breakthroughs in molecular circuitry and nuclear theory, our scientific capabilities have reached heights previously thought impossible. Our rate of technological growth is expected to further grow from here.

8Rgv3UF.png

ZOrfMH2.png

On the twenty-eighth of January, A.D. 2211, the Alliance of Exalted Clergy and Whetstone Initiative formed as distinct political entities in the Senate, each combining several of the smaller factions among Senators.

jpt54KF.png

MvmoBsN.png

On the twenty-fourth of September, A.D. 2211, our diplomatic corps received a transmission from a heretofore unencountered alien species. Calling themselves the Republic of Kelta, they claimed to have learned of us through communications with the Allied Niakaw Republic. The found the hyperlanes at roughly the same time as we did, and seem more insular than the Allied Niakaw Republic.

On the second of January, A.D. 2215, the Allied Niakaw Republic proposed a mutual defense agreement. After a short round of consideration, the Senate motioned to accept the proposal.

gvc0GEt.png

eVI1Wr9.png

Examination of a wormhole on Acherusia completed on the eleventh of March, A.D. 2215. It was found to connect to a planet with an uncanny resemblance to Acherusia itself, broadcasting a signal. A woman calling herself Princeps Quarta Lusius, and the spitting image of her Majesty. After a few highly confused message exchanges, we determined that the portal connects to a “mirror universe,” differing from ours only in slight ways.

The primary point of divergence appears to be their technology for supraluminal travel. Rather than using hyperlanes, they use a technology called a “warp drive,” which use has in turn caused their galaxy to be beset by creatures they call “warp beasts.” For the mutual benefit of both versions of the Senatus Populusque Roma, we have begun trading through the portal with our mirror counterparts.

5lBbb76.png

Early in March of A.D. 2217, excavation on Siroli Va discovered that multiple abandoned cities dot the surface of the planet. The design of the cities indicates several interesting possibilities for its former inhabitants, but further excavation is still required to refine these theories.

After much deliberation, a migration treaty offer from the Allied Niakaw Republic was accepted on the ninth of July, A.D. 2217.

I rather like that result of the gateway.

nmdGHzK.png

In the early days of A.D. 2218, a new faction rose in the political landscape of Magna Roma. Calling themselves the Galactic Emancipation Organization, they advocated for universal equality and justice, regardless of creed, planet of origin, or circumstance of birth. Recognizing the importance of this effort, the Senate (at the direction of Princeps Lusius) examined the current policies to see what compromises might be made. Their opposition to the current form of government seems unavoidable—the position of Princeps has stood the Roman people in good stead since ancient times—but the Senate gladly passed legislation forbidding the forcible relocation of citizens of the empire.

CeMcWqx.png

In February of A.D. 2218, the science vessel Plinius found a heavily damaged alien vessel orbiting Heulasuir. Despite the severity of the damage—sufficient to completely melt large sections of the metallo-ceramic hull—its databanks have survived relatively intact. Legatus Scientiae (LSc.) Suedius, commander of the Plinius, immediately spearheaded an investigation into the logs of the damaged ship.

PjIy9Lh.png

Three months after she initiated the project, LSc. Suedius reported a breakthrough in the logs of the damaged ship. The ship was apparently damaged in an attempt by the original owners—a “mammalian species reminiscent in many ways of the family Muridae from Magna Roma,” to quote Suedius’s report—to retrieve an invaluable relic by the name of the “Rubricator.” It was apparently stolen by another species, described in the logs by a plethora of derogatory epithets, many of which referred to them as “rat-like.” Based on the recommendations of LSc. Suedius, Princeps Lusius ordered an immediate investigation into the location of this “Rubricator.”

SaqYmEF.png

As our empire continued growing in size, more and more citizens commented on the knack Princeps Lusius had for finding talented people to serve in government. Her cleverness was not limited to recruitment either, as nearly a year later, she would successfully convince the Senate to guarantee the independence of their neighbors, the Republic of Kelta. Arguing in favor of strengthened relationships with neighboring star nations, she declared: “The stars are a common inheritance among all sapient species. To think that we can survive alone is folly of the highest degree. Ever since her birth on the banks of the Tiber, Roma has stood strong by incorporating other cultures, not by setting herself apart. If, then, we can achieve lasting peace without recourse to our glorious Legions, then let us do so, rather than frivolously spending the precious blood of Roma’s sons and daughters who valiantly defend us with their lives.”

evtKzv7.png

Meanwhile, several months prior to the Princeps’s impassioned speech, the excavation at Siroli Va made another breakthrough. Whatever civilization once inhabited the planet, they seem to have constructed the cities that dot the planet all within the span of a century or so. The cities themselves are millennia old, and all changes or repairs to the cities’ structures were made at disparate, concerted intervals.

KO7EY4e.png

gMSMo6Y.png

Shortly thereafter, another alien species was encountered. First spotted entering the gravity well of the Melkree system, these enormous creatures seem unaffected by the vacuum of space and to carry their own internal hyper drive.

Ah yes, the Rubricator. The one relic I can never seem to get.

For the early game, you're gonna want to abandon the digsite just before it completes to exploit the ratling Relic world unmolested.

How can you avoid that? I get it every time, like every time ...

I just never get around to getting the fleet strength to fighting for it. :p

Very nice.

In hoc signo Roma vinces. Ave, imperator!

I'm really enjoying this story, so far! I've been trying to find something interesting to write about, but I haven't got any ideas. I usually play materialist isolationists, so... you know... just sitting around as the galaxy burns, gently adjusting mandibles as I hope nobody attempts to exploit my people. I roleplay too much.

Anyway, enough about my stupid self! Hoping that you enjoy playing this as much as I love reading your writings. Aeternit imperi!

FOR THE EMPIRE!

Always nice the see a spider race. They're my favorite portrait.
Thanks for your reply! I have to confess, I'm frankly obsessed over arthopoids, and molluscoids, to a lesser degree. This one and the butterflies, especially.
I've read your AAR, and I must confess, the cutesy yet fanatically cynical viewpoint of the Mayuk (Mayok? Don't entirely remember, sorry.) is incredibly entertaining!

I've been planning an AAR where other users get to choose my player and AI races, and governments. Hoping to post the initial thread and begin the journey, it helps to stave of the feelings of worthlessness. I have made empires for myself, but I'd prefer to see what everybody else can come up with.
Best of luck to you, and apologies if this is a slightly overtly lengthy reply!

(hold up... was that intended for me, or am I just being an idiot, again?)

Hey all. I think I'm gonna have to cancel—I didn't realize just how much went into these. Thanks for coming along, even if it was a short ride.

Hey all. I think I'm gonna have to cancel—I didn't realize just how much went into these. Thanks for coming along, even if it was a short ride.
Now you know how I felt with the Derkon Severtoirs.