• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cosmeIII

Neutral Jingoist
65 Badges
Dec 8, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
Life is a cruel mistress indeed! I had to do much work in this university year. It even took me out of participating in a multiplayer AAR project! But I feel I will have time to write an AAR in the next few weeks, though with weekly intervals between updates.

If you know me, then you probably know me from my "The Lone Wolf" AAR. It was really fun to write, but events in-game burned me out of the desire to give it a sequel. So I'm afraid that will never come to be. At least I gave it a proper ending.

This AAR, well, it started out with a big bang directed in the general direction of my written prologue. So I decided to call it "Robert's Mistake." You'll see why.

I'm using another writing style for this one as well. I felt that my old style gave too much pump to small intervals of time. Now, it will consist of retelling of the happenings within the treated time period and giving out characterization to more important events. I hope that goes well.

And so, I present to you: Robert's Mistake! Starting out from Robert's Rebellion, with the young Ned and Robert fighting the Targaryens. We shall see what occurs to the Starks during this time of strife, and the times that come after! A whole new Westeros shall be unfolded before you!

rJbDCvB.jpg

Art by Tomasz Jedruszek

Robert's Mistake

Prologue: The King's Madness
Chapter 1: Robert's Mistake
Chapter 2: Storm's End
Chapter 3: Promise me, Ben
Chapter 4: Winterfell

Prologue: The King's Madness

Eddard was thinking. He'd been thinking for days on end. The news of his father and his brother's deaths had left him in shock, and now the news of Robert declaring open rebellion had left him in deep ponderation. He had always wished for a simple life, just letting that old mad king die of old. Or at least let the southerners take care of it while the northmen watched. But his father and Rickon refused to do so, and they burned to death for it. Just the thought made him sick. Telling Benjen was the hardest thing of all, he cried for hours on end and refused to leave his bedroom for days. Thankfully, he ate. Eddard thought to himself, but his thinking was interrupted by lady Catelyn Tully, who silently entered the room.

"Lady Catelyn." Eddard hailed in a small voice. "Is there a problem?" The question was rethorical, Catelyn only bothered him when it was most necessary.

"Yes, my Lord." she sighed. "The nobles are asking you to come out and rally your bannermen to march south." She paused for a bit, letting the information sink in. "I am of the same mind, if my Lord allows the indiscretion."

Eddard buried his face in his hands and nervously got up. "Yes, I know. Lyanna is in King's Landing. But she is with prince Rhaegar, he will not allow anyone to harm her. My desire for revenge boils, openly joining Robert would satisfy me greatly. Yet the thought of Rhaegar letting go of his feelings and taking Lyanna's life in one final act of despair." Eddard threw his hands down and walked in circles.

Catelyn remained in her position, only looking directly at Eddard every few moments. "My Lord. We have all seen Rhaegar's fondness of Lyanna, he named her Queen of Love and Beauty instead of his own wife. The man has always been a romantic poet, he would never harm her."

"Maybe not, but knowing that I may one day meet him in the battlefied. Having to fight such a honorable man..." Eddard stopped at Ice's side, his father hadn't taken the sword to King's Landing, as to avoid showing hostility to the paranoid King Aerys. He grabbed it and unsheathed it. Catelyn flinched at the rasp of the blade as it was being taken out. "I am thinking of myself too much. The men of the North starve for revenge and blood. And I, their leader, remain silent. Even though those whose blood was spilled were of my own kin." He looked closely at the dark, greyish steel that formed the blade. "Tell them I will ride south. Ravens must be sent to every house of the North. War will be had."

Catelyn bowed and left, her womanly grace and education made Ned nervous. Women of the North were not like that, they were coarse and strong. Not delicate and thin. He thought of Lyanna and his decision was fixed. He left his room to see his brother Benjen first. He talked with him for hours on end, remembering much about the old days. He convinced his young brother to join him in his campaign. Though he would keep him at his side or surrounded by bodyguards. Losing another brother wouldn't do, he'd be alone in life then. Benjen said the same to him.

vR8O2XC.jpg
uc2BF5L.jpg
2dB3Zpt.jpg

HtoBjYI.jpg
0gOBRwO.jpg

Benjen spurred his horse onwards, he raced with many of the young shieldbearers that accompanied the lords and had always come out on top. If anything, he was a good horseman. "Ben!" He heard a familiar voice behind him. It was a boy named Pippin that he had met as the army marched southwards. "Pip. What is it you want?" he asked. The boy reached Benjen and slowed his horse. "Lord Eddard insists that you come back to the column, we're approaching the Crossing." He said

Benjen sighed, he knew that as soon as he went back to the column, the races and the playtime would be over. The true campaign would start, and his innocence would probably be gone by the time it was ended. "Tell you what, Pip. I'll go back, but only if you grant me a final race. You see that small pond? Race you to it."

Pip looked at Ben in a rage. "This is serious, Ben. Trouble will start soon, our playtime is nearly over." He replied to him. "And that's exactly why I said final race." Ben overlapped as Pip ended his sentence. "We're still a day's ride to the Crossing, c'mon."

Pip pondered, then nodded. "Alright. In three, two, one. Gallop!" The horses were spurred, and Ben enjoyed the innocent feeling of the wind in his face. It was cold and it cut, but he knew he would have no respite in the warm winds of the South. He won the race by only a small margin, and both of their horses nearly tripped into the lake. Ben laughed as he saw Pip hugging his horse's neck in fear of the fall. He defied him to another race to the column. And the two rode away from the small pond, not noticing that there an old weirwood stood watch silently, a small drop of resin falling from one of its emblazoned eyes. Winter was coming.

OqVgECb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Looking forward to seeing this one play out, it seems like it's been eons since The Lone Wolf.

Also, out of curiosity, why does it look like the High Lordship of Winterfell is your primary title, yet it says you are LP? Shouldn't the flag of the North be beside your portrait?

subbed!

Looking forward to seeing this one play out, it seems like it's been eons since The Lone Wolf.

Also, out of curiosity, why does it look like the High Lordship of Winterfell is your primary title, yet it says you are LP? Shouldn't the flag of the North be beside your portrait?

I'm using the AGOT RP mod. The old flag of the North (I believe it was a weirwood tree on a white background) was replaced by Winterfell's. I personally think it more fitting, since it's more of a cultural representation of the North rather than a religious one.

And yes, it's been months since The Lone Wolf. I'm sure I'll enjoy writing this one out even more, since it'll be driven by random events instead of scripted ones (which would sometimes break and leave you pondering how to write what happens next).

Thank you! I hope you enjoy the ride.

Chapter 1: Robert's Mistake

"I never wished to be what I am today, Ben. But life is a cruel mistress, she will fill you with pleasure for years on end before taking it all away in one flash." - Eddard to his brother, Benjen, as they marched south to help Robert's armies.

Eddard Stark was a controversial heir to the Stark family. Calm and meticulous in his endeavours. He was akin to a paragon in a family where brashness and hot-headedness was prime.

His sister Lyanna had been kidnapped by the dragon prince Rhaegar Targaryen, his brother Brandon and his father Rickard had been burned to death by the mad King Aerys. And still he maintained a stoic face fit of a lord paramount. His wife, Catelyn Tully, expressed worry to many of her handmaidens, wondering if she had been married to a cold and cruel man.

The armies of the North marched south, with Eddard at their head. Reports of defeats on Robert's stead had filled the young Eddard with worry, something he refused to show to his men, yet was there nonetheless.

In the way to the capital they found no opposition. The armies of the Riverlands and the Vale had united in the very same path they were taking, Hoster Tully had betrothed his daughter to Brandon Stark, after his death, she was betrothed to Eddard instead. As to maintain a fair excuse for his support of Robert's rebellion. Jon Arryn was a long standing friend and mentor of both Robert and Eddard. With their armies together, the Targaryen hosts would instead remain in King's Landing and await support from the Reach and Dorne.

More reports were recieved, this time. It appeared the armies of the Vale, together with the remaining men of Robert. Led a series of surprise attacks on the Targaryen host while the Reach's army was busy with a confrontation against the Riverlanders. Eddard felt good about this, the brunt of the fighting would've finished by the time they arrived, so they would be able to refresh the armies of the South with their tens of thousands.
As they approached the city of King's Landing, the northmen expressed their displeasure at the conditions of the area, much had already been looted and ravaged and the sun gave them only scorching heat. Morale had waned slightly, but the sight of the armies of the Reach and the remnants of Aerys' host filled them with the desire for battle.

In Hayford, a small grassland area northwest of King's Landing, a grand battle was started by an offensive of the Northmen, low in numbers but soon reinforced by armies from all sides. The few men that remained from Robert's armies joined them, with Robert himself there to help; the armies of the Vale, personally led by Jon Arryn, also arrived to provide support. In the other side of the battle stood the armies of the Reach, inbetween their ranks was King Aerys himself and his kingsguard, including Jaime Lannister. No sightings of Prince Rhaegar were reported.

rDPYes8.jpg

The battle of Hayford was a sound victory for the rebels, though no men of importance were captured during the battle. The scattered remnants of the loyalist armies were wiped out by pursuing armies from the Crossing while the main armies of the rebels headed for the gates of King's Landing, where the king was hiding after his defeat.

During these events, Eddard felt pity for the men that died in the fields. His old northern pride left his heart.
"How do you do it, Robert? All these men dying left and right, just for the sake of a few. What fault do they have? How can we take pride in sending them to their deaths? In turning their wives into widows and their sons into orphans? I simply can not see it. Do not expect me to fight another war for you."
"This is not for the sake of a few, it is for the sake of all, Ned. Men die, all men die. What matters is that they die with purpose, for a better future, so that their children may live to see peace and the end of the mad rule of the damned Targaryens. Now follow me into the breach again, see how strongly they believe in us, and make them proud of following you into the battle."- Extract from an argument between the young men during the battle of King's Landing, 284 AC.

During the siege, rumors spread about the death of Queen Rhaelle, according to the official sources, the cause was suicide due to the dire situation in which the Targaryen rule found itself in. But the rebels soundly declared that the king had slain his own sister-wife in a fit of madness due to the rebel's resounding victories. The spirits of the men were heightened, and the populace of King's Landing drifted towards open rebellion against the Gold Cloaks due to their rage over their delicate Queen's death.

"You should've seen it yourself, m'lord. The lowly populace was slaying Gold Cloaks left and right, most of 'em were ripping off their very own cloaks and joining the ranks of the angry mob. Armories were forcefully opened and the peasants took up arms. The gates were opened and populace and army finally met, with much drive and bloodthirst, the two sides charged towards any place in the damn city where the dragons could be hiding. And they very well found the most important one, the mad king, sitting on his throne and shitting his pants at the sight of an angry mob heading towards 'im. That's where I ripped off mine own cloak and commanded the rest of my men to rip 'em off too. Not even the Kingsguard that happened to be there defended their petty king as he was dragged away by Robert's own men." - Report from old Commander Manly Stokeworth concerning the siege of King's Landing and its quick end.

But, as the king was captured and King's Landing flew Robert's black stag. Ned knew that someone most important was missing. Lyanna. Lyanna had not appeared in any of the rooms of the Red Keep. He heard from some of the courtiers pleading pity that Rhaegar had hidden Lyanna in the Tower of Joy.

It was another morning in the camps of the armies of the North and the Stormlands. A few cocks clucked to announce the coming of the new day and armored men went left and right to begin their training.
"No way! I'll go with you!" Robert bellowed as they entered the main tent. He was red faced in fury. "This is my betrothed you're talking about here!" He kept on saying as he hurriedly put on his armor.
"She is also my sister, Robert. And you have to take care of the Reach's armies. You are a better commander and bring more inspiration to the men. I can take care of this." Eddard responded, he was standing still, having woken up earlier than most of the host in order to ready himself. "I will take my six most able men. The old servants of Rhaegar have told me that Arthur Dayne, Jonothor Darry and Gerold Hightower were guarding her. Seven against three, Robert."
"Against three Kingsguard, Ned! Kingsguard! The most able men of the entirety of Westeros. I've fought and slain the weakest of them, curse his name as I can't remember it, and he gave me more trouble than anyone else in that entire army." Robert thrashed around until he found his warhammer.
Jon Arryn entered the tent, "Welcome, Lord Arryn, you've heard our discussion, yes?" Eddard asked. The old man had his brows furrowed. "I've heard it all." He responded, then looked to the other man in the tent. "Robert. You are right in your worry, but Eddard should be the one to go to the Tower of Joy. If they hear of Rhaegar's defeat first, Gods know what they would do to poor Lyanna." He put a hand on Robert's shoulder. "Do you not believe in your lifelong friend?" He asked.
Robert grunted, "It's not about believing in him, it's about knowing him. He's a good fighter, but Kingsguard are Kingsguard." He brooded for a while. His hands on his hips. "Agh, curse you both. Ned can go. But I swear if you get yourself killed, I'll smash you to a pulp." As he said so, he left the tent with Warhammer in hand.
Jon looked at Eddard. He gave him a wan smile. "He's right, Ned. Be careful and do not get into the fight, let your men do the work. Pride alone won't do against a White Cloak." He said as he readied himself to follow Robert.
Eddard nodded, "I know, Jon. Don't worry about it." And Jon Arryn left. Leaving Ned alone to ponder, he took a seat and served himself a cup of wine. Letting his mind rest and relax. I'll find you, Lyanna. And peace shall come to us again.

The travel to the tower was done without much hassle, the horses were healthy and the men were strong and well-rested. In a few days ride they arrived to the area where the Tower of Joy was supposedly built. And there they found it, close to a cliff and in the highest part of the hill where it was built. The eight men got off from their horses and moved on forward.
Eddard advanced towards the tower of Joy with indecision clouding his mind, three of the Kingsguard were gone from Aerys' side as they captured him. And he knew where they were. He moved forward, with his men at his side.
He recognized the men at the instant, Gerold Hightower, the White Bull; Arthur Dayne, the sword of the morning; and Jonothor Darry. Dayne stepped forward, his sword unsheathed, and pointed at Eddard. "It's too bad your impatient friend hasn't come here today, I would've personally slain him for his treason."

hyeObYs.jpg

Eddard and his men unsheathed their swords in turn. "There are no words to be spoken now, ser Arthur."
"No, there aren't, only blood to be shed. You and your friend seem to fancy it so much." Dayne said. The men rushed towards each other, two of the bodyguards of Eddard fell in quick succession.

4lBgkIu.jpg

Eddard saw Jonothor Darry approach him in an opening, his charge was brutal and his sword hit true. But the cut was no more than a flesh wound. Eddard retreated and the two circled each other for no more than a second, Eddard rushes forward and strikes on an opening, Jonothor's sword hand seemed weary and his legs were shaking at strange intervals. The Kingsguard falls to the ground and Eddard hits him on his weary arm with Ice, but Jonothor's experience allowed him to dodge with a swift roll and get back up on his feet. Eddard gives him no time to react and charges again, "For Winterfell!" he screams. His blow is blocked, but the tired state of Jonothor shows. He gasps for air, "You'd be nothing without that Valyrian sword of yours." he says inbetween puffs. Eddard pays him no heed and charges yet again. This time, Jonothor's block proves unwary and Ice reaches his left hand, cutting it off. Jonothor screams in a dire pain, and readies himself in a stumble. "Surrender, Jonothor, you've fought well."

Jonothor, unlistening, bellows "For Rhaegar!" and rushes forward. Eddard had not expected such a quick advance by Jonothor Darry and he brings up Ice. Too slow, and his arm flinched at the effort due to open wound given earlier. And the sword hits true.

RsMzNNA.jpg

Ned coughs up blood and feels his vision fading, his entire body going numb and his grip on Ice loosening. He looks down to see Jonothor's sword through his chest. His mind is full of hundreds of thoughts, and he sees his life go through his eyes. Father proudly spurring him on as he fought Brandon. Lyanna playing pranks on him during their horse races. Benjen's blind rage as Lyanna teased him by calling him little pup. The wild wolf, the quiet wolf, the she-wolf and the pup. All four living together 'til the end of time. That was what was supposed to happen. And yet. "Lyanna, Benjen." he mutters, "Forgive me.", and his weight drops upon Jonothor. Jonothor stops him from falling, letting the young man's head rest upon his shoulder. His vision clouding as death's cold touch approached, all he felt now was the stream of blood coming from Eddard's mouth going down his back. "Well fought, young Eddard." Jonothor whispers to the dead man's ear. "Lord Rhaegar, young prince Aegon, forgive us." He says with his last breaths. He rests his head upon Ned's shoulder. And the two die together in their knees and in a pool of their shared blood.

8ZT8lsZ.jpg

A few hours later, the corpses of Ned and his men were found by Robert. Lyanna Stark was with them, standing silently besides his brother's body, still in a hold with Jonothor Darry's. Robert nearly let his fury take over, but seeing his wife safe and sound made him rethink. He saw two white cloaks of the Kingsguard on the ground. Lyanna saw where Robert's stare was pointed. "They've failed their duty, Robert." Lyanna said. "The Kingsguard let their King die, and now they've left in shame."
Robert said nothing. He looked at Eddard and fell to his knees beside him, his chainmail rustling and his armor sounding a large thunk, he dropped his warhammer to the ground. "Forgive me." He said, and tears flowed from his face, falling atop Eddard's shoulder as he hugged the cold body tightly. "I should've died in your stead, this was our fight, not only yours." He told him inbetween the gasps of his crying. "Forgive me, Ned!" He screamed.

Tales tell that Robert's shouts and cries were so loud that the entirety of the Red Mountains resounded with his mourning of a dead friend.

8wFk7OZ.jpg

Lord Paramount Eddard Stark. Lived 262 AL - 284 AL. Ruled 282 AL - 284 AL
The Quiet Wolf​

And this is the update for this week, quite a nasty surprise that the game has given me. I had hoped for a strange turn of events, but not this soon in the game.

But still, this surprise fills me with desire to play on. As for the Tower of Joy chain of events: I believe it broke, I haven't played much past Eddard's death yet, but I think it won't trigger any further. The Kingsguard disbanded and Lyanna is alive and well at Robert's side. What about everyone's beloved Jon Snow? Well, I'll see what I can do about him. I believe I'll have to fiddle with the savefile though.

If any of you have a certain experience with savefile fiddling, I'd be happy if you contacted me in PMs to discuss this.

Last edited:
poor Ned... now Benjen is the Lord Paramount... too many Starks dead

when will be a new update? :p

Busy two weeks. A forum change that came later than I thought, and vacations to be enjoyed. That's why I didn't post an update.

I have two to three more updates ready, one I'll probably post during the week-end if nothing distracts me, the other one will be for next week. Thanks for your patience and stay tuned, readers!

This update doesn't have much action, Ben was too young to get into the action of the Reach, and I distracted myself into writing a long wall of text for the upcoming event after this chapter. You'll see!

Chapter 2: Storm's End

pfKpfy0.jpg

Benjen's grief over the news over his brother's death was heavy. He knew the risks of fighting a Kingsguard, but when the truth arrived to his ears, he could do nothing but cry. Lyanna comforted him and promised to stay at his side for a few years to come.

Along with these dire news came another one of the outmost importance: The adult Targaryens were dead. Robert, respecting a wish of Eddard in life, decided to let all infants live on in the condition that they posed no problem to the Baratheon's right to rule for the times to come. Thus: the second son of Aerys, Viserys; and the two infants of Rhaegar Targaryen, were to be left alive and educated in various courts of the realm.

Robert decreed that Rhaenys Targaryen, first daughter of Rhaegar, would go to Claw Isle. There, Lord Ardrian the Red Crab would educate her in courtly manners and she would be betrothed to his first son, Duncan.

Aegon Targaryen, first son of Rhaegar, would stay in King's Landing and be educated in knightly ways to serve the King Robert and those that would succeed him.

Viserys Targaryen, second son of Aerys, would spend his infancy at Norcross, under guardianship of Ronnel Norcross.

Many rumors spread about Rhaegar Targaryen's third child, Harwood. Harwood is a bastard that was concieved from Rhaegar and a pretty wench from the court, but shadowy voices tell tales of Lyanna and Rhaegar's deep love for each other, and that this petty bastard was born of this love. Robert commanded that these rumors be dismissed, but they persisted, and the latest ones tell that the old Kingsguard who ran away from the Tower of Joy -namely: Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower- went to Pentos with this baby. As to escape the more than likely wrath of King Robert over the child's existence.

The populace of King's Landing gave King Robert Baratheon the affectionate nickname "Hammer of Roseford". As gratitude for the liberation from the Mad King's rule and the mercy shown to the Targaryen infants. Robert became a romanticized saviour knight in the mouths of all peasants in the Crownlands, who saw him as a hero and avatar of the Warrior himself.

But of course, the war did not end this easily. In Highgarden, the Lord Paramount of the Reach, Mace Tyrell, refused to bow to a man who didn't descend from Valyrian dragons and proclaimed himself King of the Reach. Removing all ties with King's Landing. The remnants of the armies of the Reach and of Robert's supporters would meet in battle yet again.

fAge93G.jpg

Lyanna refused to let Benjen participate in the battles. "You are the only Stark left." She told him, "And the North has already lost too many wolves.". Even if Lord Paramount Benjen did not participate, his armies were starving for bloodshed. The death of Eddard, whom many of the leaders of the North held dear, was reason enough for a thundering attack through the Reach. The armies of the North reached Highgarden with only a little resistance from the still splintered Reachman armies. Behind their trail were the Crownlander armies, who would wipe the remaining Reachman after the North's onslaught and lay siege to the nearly unprotected fortresses that were on the way to Highgarden.

In one of these battles against Reachmen armies, Robert met with Jaime Lannister. The man was trying to flee back to the Westerlands. Robert attacked him in a fit of rage, but was overtaken by the Jaime's swift movements. Seeing this, the new commander of the Kingsguard, Lewyn Martell, stepped in and fought Jaime. Jaime was slain as he cockily taunted the Dornishman, Lewyn said that Jaime's last words were: "All I wished for: is to see my dear sister again." before he crumbled into a pool of blood. Robert had lost his left hand in the duel, the wound was quickly and carefully taken care of by able Maesters. Unable to use his warhammer, Robert resorted to the smaller variety of his beloved weapon instead, to avoid losing his dear nickname.

MpqENlx.jpg

J2C4Gns.jpg

Not even a year after its rebellion, Highgarden was taken. Lord Mace Tyrell bent the knee to his new King, Robert Baratheon, in exchange of safety for him and his family.

The wars were over, peace was had again after four years of bloodshed. Peasantry and nobles alike were mourning and rebuilding, trying to bring back a feeling of routine to their actions.

Benjen himself assisted to the crowning of Robert, yet he was thrilled by the idea of going back home. He missed Winterfell, sometimes he dreamed of times of the past, sometimes he thought that if he left soon enough, he'd see all of his brothers and his father again. That naught would've changed and he would go back to training under Brandon's watchful eye. Lyanna made sure that these thoughts left Benjen's head. "You are the Lord Paramount and Warden of the North. It pains me to say this, but things will never be as they once were." she told him over and over again.

Lyanna's bitter comments stung. Benjen found refuge by talking and training with the younger sons of the Northern lords. Sometimes, even the King found time to be with him. Robert told him of the many adventures he and Eddard had when they were wards of Jon Arryn and showed off his adept skills with his new, one-handed, warhammer.

And yet, even though Benjen had a young and idealistic mind. He could still see the trouble that brewed in the court of King's Landing. For one, Robert Baratheon was not the same man he once was. Robert wanted to rule the Seven Kingdoms with the Starks at his side, Eddard as his Hand and Lyanna as his wife. Eddard was dead and his pride did not allow him to take Lyanna as his wife, Ben thought that Robert truly believed that he betrayed the Starks by letting Eddard die. Instead, Robert took a girl of thirteen namedays from the Fowlers of Dorne, as to cement an alliance with the Dornish people.

Another problem in the realm were the Lannisters. They had been quiet for the entire war, not siding with anyone. Robert had personally seen to the slaying of Tywin Lannister's son Jaime. Tensions were very much high during the crowning, Tywin was there, with his usual expressionless stare. It's as if he hadn't lost a son to the very side that won this war, thought Benjen.

Along with all of these stood the issue with Robert's brothers. Stannis was given Dragonstone and Renly was given the Stormlands. Stannis was infuriated by this, but Robert once told Benjen in a private moment: "An old blacksmith from Storm's End told me this: 'You are the true steel, shiny, unbreakable and strong. Stannis is pure iron, black and coarse and brittle. He'll break before he turns from his ways. And one of his ways is to act upon others as dutifully and justly as possible. If I act as a King must, you won't hear him complain about his birthrights."

7p4XDHy.jpg

4sUk7CP.jpg

Even when the realm was knee-deep in all manners of issues, Benjen had his own to take care of. Lyanna constantly reminded him of them. First, he had to marry, seal an alliance with a great house. Catelyn Tully refused to marry another Stark, not even Hoster's threats of marrying her off to a Greyjoy convinced her, and thus the delicate woman that Benjen had seen but a few times left for the Iron Islands to marry the Greyjoy's first son and heir.

vaI70hl.jpg

Benjen, Lyanna and Robert were pondering in the dining hall, the sunlight entering through the few yet gigantic windows that opened the room to the outside world. The thought of who to marry a Lord Paramount to was a very important decision and Benjen knew he was going to have little say in it. The pup would never go against the she-wolf's will.
The new Lord of the North looked at the two others nervously, Robert sometimes smiled at him to calm him down, but Lyanna was completely focused on the coices at hand. Most of which were Dornishwomen. Ben had heard names such as Ashara Dayne of the Red Mountains, Delonne Allyrion of Vaith, Jeyne Fowler of Prince's Pass, even Lady Elia Martell of Dorne -who was Rhaegar's wife-. He didn't like the idea of marrying a woman that had lived with scorching heat and dry sand all her life, but the Northmen didn't have any elligible wives at the moment. Even if there were, he wouldn't raise his voice when his sister was in such a state of deep thinking.

The awkwardness of the moment was broken by Grand Maester Norren, a man recognized as a genius far and wide in the Seven Kingdoms. Robert was surprised at his silent entrance. He hurriedly approached the three and talked in a hushed tone. "Your Grace, my Lady, my Lord." he hailed them. "Speak, Norren. Your voice is always welcome, as you know." Robert responded to him.
iY1XUEV.jpg

Norren seemed unsure, he took a few moments to find a good structure for his words and finally spoke up: "Lord Paramount Tywin Lannister of the Westerlands would like to have a moment with both Your Grace and Lord Benjen Stark. If it pleases Your Grace."

Robert was surprised, and so was Lyanna. Although Tywin had remained in King's Landing after the crowning, it was mentioned it only was due to business inquiries. The King pondered for a few seconds and nodded, "Very well, let it not be told of me that I do not heed my vassals. Tell him he can come tomorrow and I shall see him." he responded to the Grand Maester. Norren shook his head, "Your Grace. He is at the very door of the dining hall. He wishes to speak with you now, if it is to your comfort."
Robert looked at Lyanna inquisitively. Lyanna bit her lips nervously. Benjen knew that Tywin was a deviously intelligent man, and out of all three of them, Robert was the oldest with two and twenty namedays. Robert seemed to get an idea and approached Lyanna to whisper in her ear. Lyanna did not like the idea and shook her head. Robert was dumbfounded, but he decided to show a serious, dutiful face, in preparation for Tywin's entrance. "Alright then. Let him in and go back to your duties, Maester Norren."
The middleaged Maester bowed and left off. Lyanna had a frustrated look that Benjen hadn't seen in a while. "This is Tywin Lannister we're talking about, Robert." she pointed out. "I know. But what choice does he have but to side with us?" Robert answered. Neither seemed very convinced of what he had just said, but Robert remained with that thought nonetheless.

Tywin entered the hall by himself, his steps strong and sure, his face unchanging. He stopped and bowed, his adornate clothing combining both the gold and red of the Lannisters. "Your Grace." He said looking at Robert, he straightened himself up and hailed the other two by bowing his head. "Lord Benjen, Lady Lyanna.", he said. The two responded in turn.
"Lord Tywin." Robert was anxious at the sight of the Lord Paramount. "Would you like some wine?" He asked.
"Thank you, Your Grace. But I shall take you on your offer another time." Tywin responded as he sat on one of the chairs in the hall. "I've come here to discuss my fragile standing in Your Grace's eyes. Namely due to my inactivity in the war." Robert looked at Tywin with a strong, intent gaze, Benjen noticed. Lyanna was looking at her cup, emptied of its contents, paying little heed to Tywin, she was not part of this ordeal. "But you must understand, joining this war would've meant going against my own flesh and blood, even if it was in the Kingsguard." He said with a cautious, yet proud, tone.

"I do understand this, Lord Tywin. Kinslaying is the worst sin possible at the eyes of the Seven. But let the past remain in the past, dear friend. What matters now is how we deal with the future of the Seven Kingdoms. They have seen enough war, don't you think?" Robert looked at the old man inquisitively. Benjen saw that Tywin was unflinching, his face frozen in his stoic expression. A bit like the White Walkers that Old Nan had told him tales of.
"And I've come here to strengthen this future, Your Grace. By proposing an alliance through marriage, both as a pardon for my lack of participation in the war, and as the base of a prosperous future. My daughter Cersei would marry Lord Paramount Benjen Stark." He paused right in that moment. Benjen saw him looking at all three of them, Lyanna was visibly surprised, Robert was shoddily hiding it and Ben was the most wide-eyed of them all.

Benjen was worried that they were even thinking about doing this. "M-My Lord, the lands of the North are cold, much unwelcoming to a young woman from-" he said, Lyanna interrupted him with a sharp look and a kick in the leg under the table and Robert waved his hand, "Forgive him, Lord Tywin. He is young and not used to courtly manners." The King said.

Benjen looked away from Lyanna and found himself being intensely stared at by Tywin. He felt as if his very soul was being read like an open book, his green eyes staring at him with an intensity Ben had never felt before. An intensity he hadn't been supposed to feel in his lifetime. "Do not worry, Lord Benjen. Cersei is a strong girl, and she needs the company of a man now that her dear brother has left us."
Ben saw Robert bringing a hand to his mouth at the mention of Jaime Lannister. But Tywin looked only at the Lord Paramount of the North, "She is strong of mind, has a quick wit, and already reached her nineteenth nameday. I am sure she will provide good counsel to you, Lord Benjen, along with many children in your lifetime."

Benjen did away with his baseless worries and gave the proposition thought. Even if Tywin had the upper hand in matters of personal abilities, he'd still have to fight the entire realm if Robert were to declare him a traitor for not joining him in the war. Only the Reach would ever accept joining them in the near future. He's trying to gain a new ally, then? I could be considered a blank slate, unlike Ned, who spent his life with Robert. Ben found himself confused, just considering becoming an ally of Tywin instead of Robert made him sick, yet he was a youth, what if Tywin, or Cersei, for that matter, convinced him in the far future?. This must be how the game of thrones is played, constant long term investments. I wonder if such things made Aerys go mad?

But there were no other match as excellent as this, and if a civil war were to ever happen in the near future, Ben would obviously join Robert's side. This would force Tywin to back down if he were to express a desire to join whichever rebellious side sprang up. Plus, lady Cersei had a fame of being a beautiful maiden.

Benjen nodded during his thinking, and as he came back to reality he found that all eyes were on him. Lyanna looked at him, ever the she-wolf, Robert talked with Tywin about who would get the title of Warden in the West. Tywin noticed Benjen waiting for an opportunity to talk. "Lord Benjen." He said as he looked at him, "Have you come to a decision?"
"Pardon my earlier outburst, Lord Tywin." Ben started, "I accept your offer, and hope to find happiness in life with your dear daughter. Have you thought out of the date for the wedding?" Ben knew he was lacking in refinement, but he was the third in line just a few years ago. He was sure they'd understand.

Tywin seemed to smirk for a small moment, but it was faint and quick, quickly coming back to his frozen stare.
"I knew you would see the wisdom in this, Lord Benjen. Your bride-to-be is in King's Landing at this very moment. I've made preemptive plans for the wedding. I believe now is the perfect time, since most of the lords of both the Westerlands and the North are here with us. It will make for a nice wedding." Tywin told the young lad.

Robert got up and brought his cup upwards, "I shall make sure this wedding is noticed far and wide in the Seven Kingdoms! Let this herald the coming of an age of peace!" He said loudly, he drank and put his cup back down on the table. Tywin excused himself and petitioned Robert to call him for the preparations, Robert accompanied him out and told the other two that he had to go warn Maester Norren, he left in a brisk pace. Lyanna sat there, uncaring. "Pup." She called Ben, "You seem to be quickly turning into a wolf, faster than I thought you would." Ben gave her a wide smile, but the woman seemed to dislike the idea. "A young wolf. I must talk with you after the wedding, about matters in Pentos." she said, and Ben's smile vanished.

k33uvUI.jpg

PYxMssN.jpg

NdsBesH.jpg

Well, as you can see, some flags have gone a bit haywire in the AGOT RP mod. Stormlands in the Reach, oh boy. I'm sure no one is too bothered by this, right?

Up next is a wedding. A happy wedding! Not too many of those in Westeros, I'll be the first to do it, aye? After the Wedding, the updates will proceed through time much faster. The Calm after the Storm arrived and peace will reign for a few more years, yet times of trouble brew themselves already. This world is like that!

Last edited:
So it looks like Cersei is coming north. Hopefully a little bit of the Stark personal touch will be able to smooth out some of the flaws we know all too well from the books.

(I had noticed the coats of arms had gotten a bit wonky, myself. It does make things a tad confusing sometimes, but I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem.)

Poor Cersei... is Tyrion inheriting the Westerlands now?

Interesting stuff here. I can't help feeling sorry for Benjen. It was bad enough for Ned to ascend to Lord Paramount of the North, Stark in Winterfell, Warden of the North and all that jazz. At least he had a war to prove his worth to his vassals, and a dead father and brother needing avenging to help bind those vassals to him during the war. At least he shouldn't have quite so much to worry about if his kids are born with a blond thatch up top...

Who's alive at present? From the old Kingsguard of Aerys, Jonothor Darry and Jaime are dead; Lewyn Martell remains; and Arthur Dayne and the White Bull have ran to Essos. Did Barristan make it? I'm assuming the fact that Dayne survives means no Northerners left the Tower of Joy alive, except Lyanna?

Very odd that the Coats of Arms went wonky. I did notice Benjen's had gone loopy, but missed the fact that "King" Mace had done likewise. I look forward to seeing how this one progresses...

Lol, quite the unconventional outcome. I've never seen a scenario where Lyanna survives, but Robert marries elsewhere. Its interesting to see what happens with Cersei in Winter fell. IMHO you should keep Lyanna in town to balance out Cersei's brand of crazy. Look for matrelinial match up north.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I will post the wedding addendum soon, and later this week the true update will come.

Lol, quite the unconventional outcome. I've never seen a scenario where Lyanna survives, but Robert marries elsewhere. Its interesting to see what happens with Cersei in Winter fell. IMHO you should keep Lyanna in town to balance out Cersei's brand of crazy. Look for matrelinial match up north.

Cersei going North provided too much potential for me to skim over it. It'll be a fun ride. I'm afraid Lyanna has duties of her own to attend to as well.

At least he shouldn't have quite so much to worry about if his kids are born with a blond thatch up top...

Who's alive at present? From the old Kingsguard of Aerys, Jonothor Darry and Jaime are dead; Lewyn Martell remains; and Arthur Dayne and the White Bull have ran to Essos. Did Barristan make it? I'm assuming the fact that Dayne survives means no Northerners left the Tower of Joy alive, except Lyanna?

Very odd that the Coats of Arms went wonky. I did notice Benjen's had gone loopy, but missed the fact that "King" Mace had done likewise. I look forward to seeing how this one progresses...

I always loved the way this mod handled the hair colors. I remember how fun it was to see one of my siblings in my Lannister games having his kids inherit the silver hairs of Lys from their mother.

Old Barristan Selmy was executed by Aerys during the Rebellion. He probably tried to kill the Mad King, or the Mad King had a paranoid fit.

One man survived the Tower of Joy: Howland Reed. Though he came back a crazed cripple, the poor man. Knowing that Eddard died and he did little to prevent it was not good for his wits.

The Westerlands will prosper under the Imp's touch! Provided he isn't educated in, say, combat like I've seen happen in the past. :p

I've had a lucky roll with the Imp, he came out as quite the man.

Poor Cersei... is Tyrion inheriting the Westerlands now?

Yup, that's the plan.

So it looks like Cersei is coming north. Hopefully a little bit of the Stark personal touch will be able to smooth out some of the flaws we know all too well from the books.

(I had noticed the coats of arms had gotten a bit wonky, myself. It does make things a tad confusing sometimes, but I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem.)

The lack of a Jaime and the cold touch of the North will leave her no choice! But Cersei is still Cersei, in the end.

Chapter 3: Promise me, Ben.

The next few weeks passed quickly. The wedding was to be held just a month after the meeting with Tywin. Robert often talked with Benjen about what it meant to be a man and the cautiousness he had to exhibit in a wedding with such a high attendance. Most lords of both the Westerlands and the North would be there, any misstep could cause the men of both sides to jump at each other's throats. Lyanna warned Benjen time and time again about the treachery of the Lannisters. "They may seem like fair princely folks. But don't believe it one bit, they'll betray even their deepest of friends if it means a tighter hold on profit. You've seen how Tywin reacted when his son died, young wolf: He decided to give away his daughter to his enemies to avoid trouble." Benjen would grow fearful of the beautiful blonde-haired Lannisters. He had not seen his betrothed yet, but he wasn't as excited as he might've been when Robert flaunted of this Cersei's beauty.

Jxhq1Az.jpg

The time of the wedding came and Benjen was becoming ever more nervous. Benjen had his hair cut and dressed along with his short beard, this didn't bother him much, but the light grey doublet did, the hosens and their tightness as well, and the knee-high dark grey leather boots were uncomfortable to walk in. The old maids kept on complaining about how Northmen were brutes and smelled like sheep, Benjen felt ashamed, but Robert found it dreadfully laughable. In the end, when Ben looked at himself in a mirror, he questioned if that man was really him. He hoped it wouldn't bring Cersei's hopes up. Robert told him they were doing the same with Cersei, "The first time your wife takes off her 'face paint', you'll get what I mean." He told him in hushes, so the curious old maids wouldn't spread gossip.

1YXMBDb.jpg

The Great Sept of Baelor was used for Kingly weddings, but Robert commanded this exception to be made. The High Septon was a considerate and humble man, he posed no complaint. Many smallfolk were gathered outside, curious to see what these powerful Lord Paramounts looked like. They wished him well, praised his House and his name, it was all quite exhilarating for Ben, knowing the entirety of King's Landing had him as their focus. Ben felt as if he were in a dream, Lyanna was accompanying him, and she was as beautiful as he had ever seen her with a dark blue dress that fit her body perfectly, their bodyguards were clad in grey steel armors with the Stark emblem upon them. Ben knew that behind them would be the Lannister's parade, he had even heard a few chants directed to them. As they were to enter the Great Sept of Baelor, Lyanna took a tighter hold upon Ben's arm. "Remember our words." Ben looked forward, remembering that this was a mere daydream. Winter is coming, he thought to himself.

Benjen forgot his foreboding thoughts instantly as he had to repress his laughter, in the right side of the sept were the attendees from the North. They were so fancily clothed, it seemed like a mummer's play. The younger noblemen who knew Ben also had to stop their own laughs at the sight of the well-dressed Benjen, their ordeal was made easier by slaps on the back of their heads and admonishing stares from their respective wardens and parents. In the left stood the men of the Westerlands, awaiting their liege lord and the bride.

Benjen paid little heed to the left side, he knew none of the lords there. But he felt a certain awe when he saw one of them towering over the rest in both heigh and width, his sister saw this. "That is Gregor Clegane." she whispered to him, "Do not get on his bad side.". Ben gave a wide smile to Lyanna, hoping to relax her mood. Life could cruel, but it doesn't have to -always- be so. But the she-wolf was ever wary, her only remaining pup was at her side and the sole thought of letting go of him for the ceremony filled her with dread.

As Benjen arrived to the altar, he was welcomed by the High Septon bowing his head. Benjen bowed in response. And now came the wait for the bride. Benjen looked back and waited with a certain anticipation. The doors opened. "Lady Cersei of House Lannister!" announced a man at the door. A woman with a long, beautifully crafted red and gold dress came into the Sept, Tywin Lannister at her side, they both walked with elegance towards the altar. Their every move seemed calculated, Cersei's most of all, as the long dress behind her dragged what Ben imagined to be a bothersome weight to be walking gracefully with. As they closed in, Ben felt his heartbeat increasing, unlike other noblemen, this marriage wasn't decided since he was born. And he was never supposed to marry into a powerful family, being third in line and all. Tywin let go of the bride and she went to Ben's side. The High Septon tugged Ben, whispering to him that he could not look at the bride so intently. Ben obeyed at the instant and looked forward, his face reddened.

The rites went on quickly in Ben's mind, as he felt his most feared moment approach. The exchange of cloaks. This seemed like a petty affair, but with a quarter of the Realm's nobility looking on, it was an entirely different ordeal. Ben walked as graciously as he could to the back of his wife, again he heard a few slaps coming from the North's aisle, he succesfully took off his bride's cloak, a giant thread of red velvet with the Lannister lion emblazoned upon it. He handed it out to a servant and another gave him the Stark cloak, white with the stark direwolf upon it. He clasped it succesfully on Cersei's back, there was no way he could fail, they even made him practice with faulty clasps a few days earlier.

vDTGIBz.jpg

Now came the moment for the kiss, Cersei took her own veil away from her face. Ben looked at his bride's eyes and she looked at his. By the gods, he thought, she's beautiful. The woman did not seem to flinch when she looked at Benjen. I'm not that ugly, after all? he thought. The High Septon cleared his throat, which resounded quite a bit in the silent hall, and Ben reacted, wiping a dumb smile from his face. "With this kiss I pledge my love, and take you for my lady and wife." he said. His words resounding through the entire sept. Cersei answered, her eyes fixed upon his, "With this kiss I pledge my love, and take you as my lord and husband."

Ben leaned in and gave her a short, undaring kiss. The High Septon lifted a crystal, light penetrated it and came out as the seven colors of the rainbow, shining upon the two. "Here in the sight of gods and men. I solemnly proclaim Benjen of House Stark and Cersei of House Lannister to be man and wife, one flesh, one heat, one soul, now and forever, and cursed be the one who comes between them."

After this, cries erupted in the Sept. The northmen yelled "Stark! Stark! Stark!" while the westermen yelled "Lannister! Lannister! Lannister!". The bride and groom slowly left the Great Sept, the next step was the parade through the capital, then the feast in the Red Keep.

Qsl0DmD.jpg

In the parade, Benjen and Cersei waved to the many smallfolk cheering them on and throwing all manners of flowers at them. Ben did not know what to talk about with Cersei, he kept his mouth shut for most of the voyage and waved at the people gathered around them. He thought they wouldn't exchange words on the way until Cersei uttered in an empty tone "This feels like a dream, doesn't it, Lord Benjen?". Benjen was surprised at his bride's sudden comment. "Oh, yes. It quite does, my Lady." he replied. The woman did not smile much, and when she did it was sly and weak, her eyes shone no light. Ben worried.

In the feast, wine and meat flowed left and right. The Westermen and Northmen forgot their old rivalries and the few fistfights that ocurred were met on with glee from both sides. Robert took the protagonism away from the pair which sat at his left. "Get to know your wife, lad." He told him, "After the feast comes the bedding, I say it all with that." Ben heeded his advice and tried to converse with Cersei, who did little else than look at her wine cup and give a smile to some cheerful women calling her from other ends of the dining hall. "Well, my Lady, I hope to be of your taste." He said to her. She replied with an uncaring "Of course, my Lord.".

Ben was growing desperate, he drank from his cup while looking on to all of his vassals and to Robert, to see if any of them had his back, but they were all very much busy with their laughter and drinks, some even with the serving girls. Ben was about to give up, but Cersei's voice reached Ben's ears. "I am sorry about your brother, my Lord." she said, her stare still lost in her cup, which was now empty. "Thank you for your condolences. I must say the same about your own brother, he was a brave man and a skilled fighter." He replied, unsure of how she wanted her comment to land. "He was a Kingsguard, he did what he had to do." She said, with the same voice of a child that repeats what he was told. Ben bent towards her and stared at her intently. "Pray tell, my Lady, of the adventures you had with your brother." Benjen asked as he petitioned a refill of both cups. Cersei seemed uneasy at the question, "He and I were twins, wherever we went we would be together, as one." She replied, then took a sip of her cup.

"Ah yes, Brandon and Eddard were the same, they had an age difference, but Ned admired Brandon so much he wouldn't stop following him." Ben said while looking down at his cup. "I was stuck following my dreaded sister, the she-wolf." Ben commented, a wide smile appeared on his expression as he fondly remembered the past. Cersei let out a small chuckle. Ben felt this laugh of Cersei's was his most resounding success in the entire day. Ben decided to press on, spurred by the wine, "Do you not have any specific tales? I'd love to hear them." he said. Cersei smiled, her eyes brightened up and she looked at Ben like a giddy young girl, "There was this one time, Jaime and I went off to visit a greenseer. You would not believe the things that old hag said. First..."

The conversation trailed on, they exchanged laughs, dances, and passionate thinkerings together. Hours went by and soon the feast became a mess of noblemen from all Houses dancing and singing together. Young married couples exchanged merry looks, the older ones danced slowly and single noblemen retired with serving girls, enviously praises of many of their friends.

The drunken Robert gave the married couple a look from the corner of his eye, they were dancing slowly and exchanging light kisses. Seeing this, the man was filled with glee, he gave out a thunderous laugh. He looked on to Tywin, who had also noticed the merriness of the bride and groom, even the stonefaced old Lannister was smiling at the sight, after that he looked at Lyanna, who was talking with a Kingsguard, unaware of the happenstances. He got up, cup of wine in hand and bellowed: "And now, I, as King of all of Westeros, declare that it is time for the bedding!". A hundred voices started yelling and cheering together, and soon both bride and groom were separated. Ben felt a moment of bliss as he heard his many young vassals cheering him on during their charge to the bedroom. When they arrived, they opened the door and threw a naked Benjen inside before slamming the door shut again. The same happened on Cersei's side, entering through another alleyway, she was pushed in and the door was shut again as many squealing girls wished her luck. The two were full of drunken confidence, and the night was young.

KJsIg6x.jpg

In the morn, Ben woke up to see his wife wide awake, yet obviously suffering from a dreadful headache. In a pained, tired voice she told him that Robert had asked for his presence whenever possible. Ben nodded, as he got up he felt the first hints of his own, well deserved headache hitting him like a wild horse. He stumbled for a bit as he got his clothing and started getting dressed. Cersei paid him no heed. Ben felt embarassed, without alcohol, she couldn't say much the woman of the golden locks. He prepared to leave the room shoddily dressed as he had little knowledge on how to put his fancy garments on. "Lady Cersei." He said, "If you are unwell, please go see the maester while I take care of matters with the King." Cersei nodded and waved him off, her hand still rubbing her pained forehead.

Robert patted Benjen on the back and congratulated him on the night's work, to which Ben replied with a smile. After this, Robert announced that he would declare Benjen Warden of the North, a title traditionally held by Starks. Benjen agreed, the title was more of a tradition than anything. As he left off to go back to his bride, Lyanna stopped him, taking him to her room.

JwlvHCt.jpg

"Ben, there is something I must tell you." she said in a hushed tone as she latched on to his arm. Her serious tone did not go well with Benjen's headache. "Can't this wait for tomorrow?" the young man replied while massaging his forehead. "No." she replied in turn, "In a week, I'll be leaving for Pentos."
Ben grew wide eyed and looked at Lyanna, "What in the southern seven hells are you talking about?" he angrily whispered.

"Listen, I- In the Tower of Joy, I-" She doubted. "Pup, I am so sorry." she said. Ben saw the sadness in his sister's eyes and wrapped his arms around her. "I am your brother above all else, Lyanna, tell me what happened." He said with a delicate tone, his headache grew worse, his head thumped.
A single tear came from the cheek of his dear sister, and she finally said the words. "I had a son. Rhaegar had a son with me." she confessed. Ben's eyes widened again, surprise filling his face. "What? But Robert-"
"Robert does not know, he must not know. I thought about running away without telling anyone, but I simply couldn't leave you like this, pup." she said, emotion overcoming her, her hug grew tighter.

"This child, where is he?" Ben asked. "Ser Arthur Dayne and the White Bull took him to Pentos. I've named the boy Harwood, he's inherited the dark hair of the Starks." Lyanna told him, tears slowly streaming from her face. "I must ask you for two things, Benjen. Please heed them." She said while letting go of the hug, her eyes fixed on Ben's.
"I shall, Lyanna. Anything for you." Ben replied. Lyanna nodded and a smile appeared on her face. "Robert is- He is unstable as a King, fit for warfare, not for ruling. And with Ned dead, Jon Arryn too old to help for long... I fear for Westeros, pup." Lyanna said, looking down in shame.

"The first promise: never tell anyone of this child, let him be a rumor." she looked at Ben intently. Ben looked back at her, doubt filled his mind, but this was his sister, he could not doubt. "I promise." Ben replied. Lyanna let out a relaxed sigh. "The second one is a bigger duty." she doubted, biting her lower lip, "When Harwood reaches his tenth nameday, I want you to ward him. Say that he is a young boy of promise that would get along well with your children. I won't tell the boy who his father is. Promise me, Ben. Promise me you'll take care of him. I can not give him a good man's life in Pentos, please, I beg of you, do it for me."

Ben looked down, "Lyanna, that is-" He doubted, who could say what would happen in ten years time? But, this was his sister. She was desperate, he could not abandon her now. He was all she had. He raised his eyes and looked at her. "I promise. I will take care of the boy and make him a man of the North. But why in ten years?"

Lyanna took a few steps back, her face was filled with a teary happiness. "Ten years because, by then, the rumors of the bastard child of Rhaegar will have dissipated. If I were to send him to you now, or in five years. Doubt would settle in your court, moreso with that Lannister." She nearly gave a hiss when she pronounced Lannister. Ben nodded, yet he remembered something. "Lyanna, what about you? What are you going to do?" He asked, deep in worry.
"I'll be with Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword in the Morning. You've seen me with a sword, haven't you? We'll become bodyguards for some rich family of Pentos. I do not wish to enter courtly politics." She said. "If you ever have need of me, send a messenger, I will leave everything behind to help you."

Ben nodded, yet a few tears began to spring from his eyes. Too much in too little time. He would become the only Stark left in Winterfell. Lyanna gave him another warm hug. "You'll do well, young wolf. You're as strong, if not stronger, than your brothers." She let go of him. And Ben slowly recovered from his sadness. "I will miss you, dear sister. Please be safe in Pentos." He said.

"I shall. And thank you, my dear pup." she replied, the two had a final parting hug and Ben left his sister's room. All he could do now was reassess his feelings, and go back to his lady wife. In less than two days they'd have to leave for the North. He could already see the servants of the many Houses going left and right to prepare the ride north, for some, and west, for others.

hj6yp1s.jpg

uM1KyZE.jpg

The North, home of the last wolf. The lone wolf.​

Last edited:
Reactions:
The North, home of the last wolf. The lone wolf.
Nice.

Who is the heir, according to the UI? Or is this a screenshot from a later date when there's the beginnings of a litter of pups?

I wish the newlyweds the best of luck. Let's face it, with such big secrets on either side, they're going to need it. That's before I remember that this is Westeros. Extra luck required. That screenshot also suggests he'll need a very good Master of Whispers.

Nice.

Who is the heir, according to the UI? Or is this a screenshot from a later date when there's the beginnings of a litter of pups?

I wish the newlyweds the best of luck. Let's face it, with such big secrets on either side, they're going to need it. That's before I remember that this is Westeros. Extra luck required. That screenshot also suggests he'll need a very good Master of Whispers.

That heir is Harwood, Lyanna and Rhaegar's lovechild that is in Pentos. Don't worry about the Master of Whisperers, Roose Bolton is on the case! Oh wait

Ten years... Why do I get this sinking feeling that the Seven Kingdoms aren't even going to wait that long for everything to go straight to the Seven Hells?

Times of peace are not unheard of in Westeros. In the books, some sixteen years passed between Robert's Rebellion and the War of the Five Kings, with the only issue being Balon's war for independence. A warrior King can keep his realm together through the iron fist of his armies, but when he grows old and weak and has tens of bastards, he might just leave a ground ripe for instability. Truly an interesting premise.

That heir is Harwood, Lyanna and Rhaegar's lovechild that is in Pentos.
Oh goody, nowt to go wrong there, is there?:confused:
Don't worry about the Master of Whisperers, Roose Bolton is on the case! Oh wait
Ah. Right. I would say let's keep our fingers crossed, but I'm pretty sure a flaying knife could sort that out...
Times of peace are not unheard of in Westeros. In the books, some sixteen years passed between Robert's Rebellion and the War of the Five Kings, with the only issue being Balon's war for independence. A warrior King can keep his realm together through the iron fist of his armies, but when he grows old and weak and has tens of bastards, he might just leave a ground ripe for instability. Truly an interesting premise.
Clearly nothing to worry about with Robert as king! Oh wait...

great update! I hope Cercei gives you a lot of young wolves... there is a dire need of Starks in the North