Roads to Power - Byzantine / Roman centered DLC features from the Steam page

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just wish the nomenclature “Byzantine Empire” was not used and instead the faction should be called Empire of the Romans.
The game uses names that are common to contemporary English if you set the game to English.

It's called Byzantine Empire for the same reason we say India instead of Bharat, Tibet instead of Bod, China instead of Zhongguo, Persia instead of Iran, Hungary instead of Magyaroszag, Germany instead of Deutchland, and a countless number of other examples.

• 10Like
Reactions:
The game uses names that are common to contemporary English if you set the game to English.

It's called Byzantine Empire for the same reason we say India instead of Bharat, Tibet instead of Bod, China instead of Zhongguo, Persia instead of Iran, Hungary instead of Magyaroszag, Germany instead of Deutchland, and a countless number of other examples.

Those examples does not relate to the history of the Roman state. Its totally irrelevant, the state was never called the Byzantine Empire until many years later after the fall of Constantinople. The people considered themselves Romans. The Leaders were called “Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans” not of the “Byzantines.” Constantine moved the capital from Rome to Byzantion and renamed the city “New Rome” and eventually the city was named after him. That was when he was emperor of the entire Roman state.

Reactions:
Those examples does not relate to the history of the Roman state. Its totally irrelevant, the state was never called the Byzantine Empire until many years later after the fall of Constantinople. The people considered themselves Romans. The Leaders were called “Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans” not of the “Byzantines.” Constantine moved the capital from Rome to Byzantion and renamed the city “New Rome” and eventually the city was named after him. That was when he was emperor of the entire Roman state.
Okay, that has nothing to do with what I said.

When the game is set to English, it uses names that are common to contemporary English. The English language has all kinds of names for all kinds of countries and those names often have absolutely nothing to do with what the inhabitants of those countries called themselves. What you want is a special rule just for Byzantium and the developers have consistently said no to this for the last 20 years.

This has always been a particularly perplexing request, too, because the Greeks LOVE renaming other people's countries. They renamed Iran to Persia, Bharat to India, Zongguo to Sina, and a countless number of other examples. Even the Romans would disagree with you here. They thought this was an entirely normal practice. lol

• 7Like
Reactions:

When the game is set to English, it uses names that are common to contemporary English. The English language has all kinds of names for all kinds of countries and those names often have absolutely nothing to do with what the inhabitants of those countries called themselves. What you want is a special rule just for Byzantium and the developers have consistently said no to this for the last 20 years.

This has always been a particularly perplexing request, too, because the Greeks LOVE renaming other people's countries. They renamed Iran to Persia, Bharat to India, Zongguo to Sina, and a countless number of other examples. Even the Romans would disagree with you here. They thought this was an entirely normal practice. lol
You still don’t understand.
When the game is set to English, it uses names that are common to contemporary English. The English language has all kinds of names for all kinds of countries and those names often have absolutely nothing to do with what the inhabitants of those countries called themselves
Except, once again they have always been the Roman Empire from since Augustus until Constantine XI. They were the Roman Empire. It doesn’t matter the language of translation. The nomenclature Byzantine is an incorrect term used many years later and established in the 19th century. Thankfully over the years many people are changing their views and moving away from the term Byzantine.

Reactions:
You still don’t understand.

Except, once again they have always been the Roman Empire from since Augustus until Constantine XI. They were the Roman Empire. It doesn’t matter the language of translation. The nomenclature Byzantine is an incorrect term used many years later and established in the 19th century. Thankfully over the years many people are changing their views and moving away from the term Byzantine.
I think it is you who does not undertsand.

The fact that the Greeks called themselves Romans isn't in dispute. You don't need to keep arguing it like anyone has disputed it because that never happened. What I'm telling you is that it doesn't matter what they called themselves because foreign languages giving new names to foreign countries is an incredibly normal practice.

• 6Like
Reactions:

No, I agree with you but we should call the Byzantine Empire the "Empire of the Greeks". Call them what they are.

- Liutprand of Cremona

• 6Haha
Reactions:
I think it is you who does not undertsand.

The fact that the Greeks called themselves Romans isn't in dispute. You don't need to keep arguing it like anyone has disputed it because that never happened. What I'm telling you is that it doesn't matter what they called themselves because foreign languages giving new names to foreign countries is an incredibly normal practice.
I understand quite well, they should have never been called Byzantine in the first place.

Reactions:
Byzantium is a historiographical term.
The game has the opportunity to revive the "Roman Empire"..
Always found the “Revive the Roman Empire” mechanic made no sense. They were the Roman Empire. But because they are called Byzantine they try to make a distinction of them being totally different to the Classical Roman Empire.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Always found the “Revive the Roman Empire” mechanic made no sense. They were the Roman Empire. But because they are called Byzantine they try to make a distinction of them being totally different to the Classical Roman Empire.
Not even Italians considered themselves Roman unless they lived in Rome. It's tacky to call yourself Roman in 867 unless you live in Rome.

The Byzantines are the type of people who call all sparkling wine Champagne.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
As a certified Byzantinophile, I don't mind the Eastern Roman Empire and the Romans being called Byzantines, as it is a useful nomenclature to separate the Eastern Romans from their Latin counterparts who disappeared in the 1st Millenium. It is also useful in terms of referencing the Roman Empire in the Late Antiquities/Medieval Era from the Roman Empire from the Classical Era.

Asides, if you are wanting to break Paradox naming convention and give a super special name to the Byzantines that the Persians and the Indians don't get, nothing is stopping you from changing the name of the title and/or modding the text files to change the adjective to Roman.
I understand quite well, they should have never been called Byzantine in the first place.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does every thread on the Byzantines have to devolve into the same name debate we've had for decades?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Huh, in this case, every self-respecting Roman should wonder why his Roman REPUBLIC is called an empire

Anyone still spouting "CK2 is better" is all washed up after this announcement for sure. :p

Yes, I have not touched CK3 since 2020. After this Byzantine expansion, I will touch CK3.