Roads to Power - Byzantine / Roman centered DLC features from the Steam page

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

merulaalba

First Lieutenant
59 Badges
Feb 26, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Roads to Power features from the Steam Page

* Administrative Government: Experience medieval rule outside of the feudal system with new styles of empire management. A web of Governors jockeys for position in the empire with intrigue and power, sometimes rewarding merit and sometimes rewarding perfidy. Only a truly skilled Emperor can keep these squabbling forces in line.

* The Family Estate: Run and manage a powerful Family Estate, the seat of your Houses' power. Construct new buildings and improvements to further your power and influence within the Empire.

* A Life of Adventure: Freely roam the map, untied to any realm or holding, going where the winds of fortune blow you. Fulfil contracts as a landless adventurer, even through the generations, building up a reputation of your own. Earn gold, prestige and fame traveling the globe until you decide to settle down and claim a land you have earned through merit.

* Influence System: Build up a character’s influence within an administrative empire to climb even higher in the opinion of the Emperor, gathering more power to yourself. Start as a landless noble on an estate, and compete for valuable provinces to govern.

* New Imperial Management: Run a sprawling imperial bureaucracy, appointing and directing the governors of your provinces.

* Choose Successor or Caesar: The Byzantine Emperor can choose their heir from a list of Influential candidates or important family members, and even opt to co-rule if the burden of empire is too much.

* New Byzantine Flavor Content: New events, monuments and activities built around the Byzantine theme, including chariot racing.

* Cosmetic additions: A Byzantine-themed UI skin and new court fashions for your characters, as well as new 2D event art for activities like chariot racing, new on map monuments of the Byzantine and Roman worlds, new on map holding designs and a Byzantine throne room for Royal Court sessions, among other aesthetic improvements...

I AM SO HAPPY!

• 43Love
  • 19Like
Reactions:
As it should be. The Romans deserve nothing less.

A bit worried about the lack of the Senate. But it is possible that will be added later, in one of the dev diaries
I'm assuming imperial government isn't just for Byzantium. It might be missing some Byzantine specific flavour because it has to be one-size-fits-all for Arabia, Iran, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
* A Life of Adventure: Freely roam the map, untied to any realm or holding, going where the winds of fortune blow you. Fulfill contracts as a landless adventurer, even through the generations, building up a reputation of your own. Earn gold, prestige and fame traveling the globe until you decide to settle down and claim a land you have earned through merit.

Obviously I'm very excited about the Byzantine elements, but this is interesting. I kind of assumed that part of the risk/reward of landless play would be that if you die unlanded, it's game over (similar to how things are now, where you lose once you become unlanded or you die with your lands passing to someone other than a dynastic heir). Does this mean there's no possibility of a Game Over anymore? You can just grind it out unlanded indefinitely?

Obviously I'm very excited about the Byzantine elements, but this is interesting. I kind of assumed that part of the risk/reward of landless play would be that if you die unlanded, it's game over (similar to how things are now, where you lose once you become unlanded or you die with your lands passing to someone other than a dynastic heir). Does this mean there's no possibility of a Game Over anymore? You can just grind it out unlanded indefinitely?
I imagine that it's still possible to get a Game Over if your character dies and there's literally nobody left in your dynasty. However, outside of that IDK.

• 2Like
Reactions:
well, if you and all of your family dies from Plague, it is probably game over...

• 6Like
Reactions:
But what I am looking forward to is to be a landless noble, become a higher-ranking bureaucrat, governor, maybe general, and take a throne in the civil war. Appoint my son as my heir, and then depose and mutilate him

Just as the Romans would do :)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Are these mechanics only going to be for Byzantium or will similar things apply to all empires potentially? I would hope the bureaucratic stuff has some application outside of just the Byzantine empire, otherwise there will be tons of new very interesting sounding mechanics but only one place where you can use them for the rice of a full expansion.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Are these mechanics only going to be for Byzantium or will similar things apply to all empires potentially? I would hope the bureaucratic stuff has some application outside of just the Byzantine empire, otherwise there will be tons of new very interesting sounding mechanics but only one place where you can use them for the rice of a full expansion.
Probably shared, but as far I can see, much of it will be Romano-centric. And i bet it will be easily moddable

We ll know more when the Dev diaries start dropping, probably in Spring

• 3Like
Reactions:
Very hyped for this one!

Any chance that the byzantine/roman flavour might include a difficult to get 'convert to hellenism' event like ck 2?

Reactions:
There is one issue I am missing - and that s faith - or Orthodoxy.

Will we have schism mechanics, religious controversies, and ecumenical councils?

• 7Like
Reactions:
Estates! Estates! Finally Estates!

I hope they pull it these off well.

They are so essential for many future potential additions like Republics or an addition of the far east.

Espescially with T&T I had many thoughts on how they could pull it off. Like a similar view as of the Tournament Village with your estate and unique events in the estate itself. And that you could see the additions you build and have additions similar to those some wonders had in CK2. With unique buildings depending on the situation. Like a smugglers dock if it is coastal. Or an additional chapel or Personal Training Grounds.

Please make them good Paradox.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Military mechanics, and banners are still better in CK2. Also standing armies for the Romans

Hopefully we ll get that at some point in CK3
Eh, you are right, but CK2 warfare isn't really stellar. A core expansion (hopefully next year) could easily topple everything CK2 had regarding warfare.

• 3Like
Reactions:
  • 4Like
Reactions: