• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Niphon - he just wants for kids to be loved.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Crusader Kings 2 - The Road of Queens
Chapter Seven Hundred-Forty-Three : Poor Tiny Army

Ie0KWbv0_o.jpg

Stomp-Stomp-Stomp

This chapter starts late February, of the year 920 AD, with the Imperial Army of Doux Kallistos about to take the City of Dailekh. In fact it was taken in early March. The defenders had put up a good fight as the Imperials had lost 595 and the Guge forces had lost 540. The City Guard must have been well trained!

uxLNhvqT_o.jpg

“Have our troops become lazy?” remarked the Emperor with a frown. The Army then went on to lay siege to the Temple Complex of Gularia which only had 234 defenders,

JZQ0rIqi_o.jpg

While this had been going on the other Imperial Army had been chasing down the tiny enemy army. And had finally cornered it!

cUfGMQO5_o.jpg

As the Imperial Army marched towards their next battle old news came in from the Mongol Empire. It seems a peasant by the name of Sartac, or something like that, had been arrested for leading a uprising. It looked like another Religious Rebellion had been crushed.

“Seems the Great Khan might be having problems,” murmured the Basileus to himself. “I wonder if that is good or bad for us.”

ZRZKBbLr_o.jpg

As the Basileus waited for news from the front in April he tried to get two of his friends to become friends of each other. And it seemed to work as the two Bhikkhus seemed to do well together. Finally!

Then the news finally came in of the Battle of Monicer where the outnumbered Guge army, who was also said to be very bitter, was said to be attacked by the Imperial Army. The Imperial Commanders skipped the traditional exchange of arrows, as the enemy had no Archers, and just sent in the Cavalry. The enemy lines collapsed at once. Even while a much larger Guge force fled northwards!

vdpDZdIw_o.jpg

The flanks quickly fled and left the center, made up of three soldiers, to fight for themselves.

yESLquYe_o.jpg

And soon the report came in of the victory. The enemy had been wiped out while the Imperial Army had lost nobody.

“At least THOSE soldiers seem to know what they are doing,” commented the Basileus.

YruWt9QQ_o.jpg

After the battle Bhikku Evangelos II decided to move his Army north to engage the larger enemy force.

qCsUwk4z_o.jpg

Then news came that the Temple Complex in Doti, the last Holding, had fallen. And boy did the Temple Warriors put up a fight. The enemy lost 234 Priests while the Imperial Army lost 595 soldiers.

“What in Buddha’s name is going on?!?!?” demanded the Basileus on seeing the report. “Are we not feeding our men or something?”

RoDVs9l4_o.jpg

With the County of Doti now under Imperial control the Doux Kallistos ordered his Army north to help bring the war to more enemy holdings.

So this chapter closes with the Basileus happy with the way the war heading but a tad worried about the standards of his military’s training. Were his Levies that bad at fighting without the help of hired swords?

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Is the bad math on sieges and battles, an inside joke like civ's nuke happy Gandhi or just lazy programming? When I look at siege and battle numbers, I feel like the Scarecrow pulling the curtain and seeing the Wizard. The three man center gives new meaning to Light Brigade! One wonders of the .2 of a man at Siege Gularia, what body parts remain? Sorry about the 'itching and moanin'; EVERYONE PLEASE BE SAFE!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter Seven Hundred-Forty-Four : Unknown Army

W188MnHp_o.jpg

“Sorry About This!”

This chapter opens in late April with the enemy army trying to dodge about to escape the Imperial forces.

gdJFwtE8_o.jpg

The Commanders were not having it and they tried their best to pin down the Guge army.

wNUc5TLv_o.jpg

As the Basileus waited for news of a battle he received some interesting news from within the Empire. The Doux of Magaha had his Council pass the Ruler War Declaration Sovereignty Law. His enemies better watch out!

89ciZeNT_o.jpg

In May news came from the front. But the news was surprising. Seems the Imperial Army was heading towards a battle with a enemy vassal’s army. Seems the Guge forces had dodged again and now one of the Lords of Guge were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The enemy vassal had likely raised their levies to LOOK like they were helping. And now they were going to pay the price.

bQMaP3h6_o.jpg

While the Basileus waited news for the surprise battle he received horrible. His daughter, Eupraxia, was suffering from Great Pox. Syphilis. He ordered his Court Physician to help her at once. But a part of him knew she was to blame for her own illness.

“If only she had kept her pants on,” remarked the Emperor with a certain amount of bitterness.

News finally came in from the Battle of Tsaparang. The enemy army had placed much of its men in the center which meant the right flank had already melted under the rain of arrows and missiles.

AYdgJrGD_o.jpg

Even while the enemy fought for its life the Guge army was fleeing northwards. Then the enemy’s left flank collapsed and the Imperials sent in the Cavalry and the Elephants.

0FdOCmxK_o.jpg

In June a rider came with the news of victory. The enemy army, whoever it had belonged to, had been totally wiped out. While the Imperial Commanders had only lost 4 men!

TAZYTr4W_o.jpg

The Commanders then rounded up their men and went to lay siege to the Castle of Tsaparang.

4IFijSLp_o.jpg

Around the same time the Army of Doux Kallistos was trying to head north. The Army just had to get around a mountain range to do it.

37PtMLlE_o.jpg

The Khan Asalip II of Guge was in trouble. He was fighting both the Empire and a Peasant Revolt. And the Revolt was kicking his butt. Both wars were also draining his military of men.

aOvPHeAj_o.jpg

Then it was announced that the Great Khan had released the Leader of the last Uprising.

“Why does he keep doing that?” asked the Basileus. “Doesn’t that just encourage them to keep revolting?”

hMSWNjjr_o.jpg

In July the Army of Kallistos finally entered the Realm of Guge started the Siege of Labrang - a Castle in the County of Zhongha. There were 900 defenders so it was likely to be a long siege.

So we close this chapter with another victory and the beginning of two sieges.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter Seven Hundred-Forty-Five : More Victories

gymBu7Yp_o.jpg

More Sieges!

This chapter opens up in mid July, in the year 920 AD, with the Protostrator reporting to the Basileus that he had found a very skilled military man.

nIi304mi_o.jpg

The man was a lowborn by the name of Meletios. The Basileus had no problem with welcoming him to the Empire and even decided to find a match for him.

aBQvDIwP_o.jpg

After all, what will keep the man from running away? Why, marriage of course! So the Basileus found him a lowborn woman to marry. Viviana, a Greek Courtier of the Pala Raj. Good enough for another lowborn.

1XVDfh9D_o.jpg

They were married less than a week later once the proposal was approved.

In August the Basileus received some more news. But it wasn’t about the war. It was about the death of somebody in the Mongol Empire.

CEvgfiVQ_o.jpg

“Do I know this man?” mumbled the Basileus as he glanced up from the letter. “Karzhtik Irkinzk of House Atu?”

RWc5sNa4_o.jpg

“He was a Courtier under Chief Theophilos of Artus,” remarked one of the staff members. “Your Hindu grandson who is now a vassal of the Great Khan.”

“Oh…yeah, him.”

dXqqwv2r_o.jpg

Then a report from the Army of Bhikkhu Evangelos II stated they had finally taken the Castle. And the numbers were HORRIBLE. The Commanders reported they had lost 628 soldiers while the enemy had lost 494 men.

“Good Buddha!” exclaimed the Basileus. “What IS going on?”

zdLK2fKP_o.jpg

The Army moved onto lay Siege to the City of Tholing. Which had 730 defenders. The Emperor shivered at the thought of how many soldiers would be killed trying to take the city.

4fQsOIhD_o.jpg

News that came out of Guge in September suggested the Khan had very few men left - reports suggested about sixty. And the Revolt was laying siege to his Capital with over two thousand soldiers.

As the Emperor waited for more news from the front he received reports from within the Empire.

vFp6Th6b_o.jpg

First, it seems the Doux of Nyingchi had passed the Religious Control Mandate Law. Always a good law to have your Lords pass.

wj9zraD2_o.jpg

Second, it seemed Himadrija of the House Pala was now nicknamed “The Ill-Tempered”. Not really a good name for a young wife but what can you do?

“I hope she does not get into any fights,” murmured the Basileus. “She’ll be stomped.”

pf3oe2AY_o.jpg

The third piece of news, which came in October, did not come from within his Empire but the Mongol Empire. Seems another lowborn had been jailed for starting a Uprising.

“Or is it just one big uprising?” the Basileus asked himself as he looked over the report.

VtJ8Hj6Q_o.jpg

Then news finally came from the front. It was good. The City of Tholing had fallen. The Imperials had lost not ONE man while the enemy defenders had all been wiped out.

“That’s good,” said the Basileus. “But also, to be honest, somewhat confusing. What is going on with our military?”

And so we end this chapter with more victories but a confused Emperor.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
How long has the Basileus reigned? Most citizens have not known another ruler. He will probable outlast his daughter! Is the lego building your work or found photo? Either way very cool.

Lego was found on the net. There is a LOT of Lego stuff out there. Basileus had reigned since he was 16. So roughly over 40 years?

Eupraxia is as Eupraxia does, it seems.

Perhaps the military's trouble is that it has been too long since they faced a proper foe?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter Seven Hundred-Forty-Six : Keep Your Pants On

CexRgfWy_o.jpeg

The Adultery In This Game Is Too High!

This chapter opened in mid October, of the year 920 AD, with the Army of Bhikkhu Evangelos II laying siege to the Temple Complex of Tholing Gompa. Over seven thousand attackers against about three hundred.

v6YAN9y7_o.jpg

Even though the Imperial Army only about four thousand men.

“I’m confused,” murmured the Basileus.

2olYGWey_o.jpg

At least the numbers at the Siege of Labrang seemed correct.

GNAsl1b6_o.jpg

The Basileus received some bad news in late October. Bhogavati of the House Bhar was plotting to kill the Count of Goalpara.

“Tell her to stop,” ordered the Basileus. “He is one of my better Nobles. Well, he likes me anyway. So I don’t want him to die.”

NRowl9z8_o.jpg

Then the Basileus pondered if the Duke of Kalinga needed any help managing his Realm. So the Basileus sent a letter asking if he needed help.

mZU5JO4m_o.jpg

As the Basileus waited for a reply he received news from the front in early November. The Army of Doux Kallistro had taken the Castle of Labrang. The Imperials had lost 275 soldiers while the enemy defenders had lost 900 men. Next door the Revolt Army was trying to decide what to do next.

6wZGSp6E_o.jpg

Now the Army was laying siege to the City of Paryang. “Better,” responded the Basileus. “Much better.”

1ahx4dU6_o.jpg

The Duke of Kalinga reply made it back to the Emperor and, like many of his other letters, was a very positive one. He was eager to receive advice on the art of being a Ruler.

CpRaSMCX_o.jpg

Then the Basileus was given some bad news. It seemed a lowborn nobody called Polykarpos wanted to kill Ajmal of the House Bamiyan. Now, Ajaml was married to the Emperor’s granddaughter, Princess Eulalia, so this news did not make him happy.

“Tell him to stop,” the Basileus said to the Spymaster, “I am getting sick of all these people targeting my family members or my in-laws.”

mBiOtF86_o.jpg

Sadly the Basileus noticed more bad news in the very same report. Princess Eulalia had been given the nickname “The Unfaithful”.

“Both future Empresses are adulteresses,” said the Basileus with a sigh as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. “She even has a bastard like her mom. And this is very old news because he is THREE!”

“Er…” replied the staff. “We didn’t really notice her actions till now.”

“And she had another baby on the way,” remarked the Basileus. “Is it her husband’s?”

“Er….”

“I’m going to go have a small nap," sighed the Emperor as he left the Throne Room.

So we end the chapter with another victory and a upset Emperor.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Granddaughter is a case of the apple does not fall far from the tree. So far, she only has boys to hopefully end the faithless female family focus. Tholong Gumpa siege is not bad paradox math (for now) but rather an army from another realm, either helping or trying to steal the victory. If siege victory is stolen, it will take a fool to tell the Basileus. Please be safe, my Basileus.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter Seven Hundred-Forty-Seven : Imperial Mourning

Zk43JdaN_o.jpg

Death Of “The Dove”

This chapter opens in mid November, of the year 920 AD, with the Basileus deciding he needed to marry off Princess Pulcheria of Bengal before SHE started fooling around and having babies outside of wedlock. At the age of 19 she needed to get married anyway. On top of that she WANTED to get married.

xH9EKDgq_o.jpg

The Basileus found a unmarried, lusty, Noble of the House Mana. A man named Udirnakhadga. The staff tried to point out that his was the half-brother to the Exarhessa Eupraxia’s bastard son but the Basileus would just stick his fingers in his ears and go, “LALALALALA!”

RTh6Y2CW_o.jpg

So a proposal was sent. It was a Matrilineal Marriage of course and everybody seemed okay with the idea.

Lbb3t2r1_o.jpg

Then in December the Siege of the Temple Complex of Tholing Gompa had come to an end. The Imperial Army had lost zero men while the enemy Priests were wiped out to the last man.

kSipqQh5_o.jpg

The County was now totally occupied and the Army of Bhikkhu Evangelos II moved south. To take more Holdings of the enemy. And the Army of Doux Kallistos was continuing the Siege of Paryang. The Realm of Guge was in bad shape.

olM3S0lE_o.jpg

Then the Emperor received the most horrible news he had ever had to hear. His wife, Dong Yanyan “The Dove”, had died of a natural death on the 13th of December at the age of 67. Not only did he no longer have a wife but he has lost his Upadhyayani AND his Non-Aggression Pact with the second son she had given him.

c4NAk0MA_o.jpg

So, of course, the first thing he had to do was remarry. Out of his three Concubines his youngest was Epiphania. Who had not produced a child yet. So he married her.

qsaBnzWb_o.jpg

The second thing he had to do was pick a new Upadhyaya. This was just as easy as the Bhikkhu of Para-Lauhitya, a 53 year old by the name of Evangelos, had a VERY high opinion of the Basileus and would be perfect for the position. So he was selected.

qEejyZ7T_o.jpg

Of course he was sent to the County of Samatata to pick up where the Empress had left off.

So we close this chapter with another victory, a new wife for the Emperor, and a new Upadhyaya. And a heart broken Basileus.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A couple who share a deceased brother but are not related, did you search long and hard or just visit the CKHarmony marriage brokers? A 50 year marriage is quite an achievement! Were they friends or lovers? How do you lose a non-aggression pact with your son? In an ironic twist, while you are a Greek outside of Greece, I am currently a non-Greek King of Greece. I am preparing for the sad day when the Basileus rejoins Lord Meow-Meow and the Basilissa, but I began preparing for his death over a decade ago. I expect him to outlive his daughter/chosen heir. Thank you for updating and please be safe, my friend.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A 50 year marriage is quite an achievement! Were they friends or lovers?
They were lovers. And, to be honest, it was likely the longest Royal marriage in the Dynasty. What with all the adultery.

Reactions:
Chapter Seven Hundred-Forty-Eight : And A Peace Treaty Is Signed

Tqu1zgQ2_o.jpg

“Shouldn’t I Read The Small Print First?”

This chapter opened in late December, of the year 920 AD, with the news of the capture of the City of Paryang.

JQhPonbs_o.jpg

The Imperial forces had lost zero while all 235 enemy defenders had been wiped out.

8UPIPvQd_o.jpg

Agents within the Khan’s court reported that the young man was sick of the fight with the Empire. And he needed all his men, what was left of them, to fight the rebellion. It was said he had less than two thousand soldiers left.

kfKyA1pa_o.jpg

A proposal was sent to the Khan of Guge. A demand for the County of Doti in return for peace. Most felt the young Ruler would say yes. Which he did.

xBEMwhqI_o.jpg

So the war came to an end and the County of Doti belonged to the (Second) Empire of Maurya.

TFT8NCUu_o.jpg

And the Armies were ordered to return to the Empire. Once within the borders, of course, the Levies would be dismissed.

5nOSGZEW_o.jpg

Of course the Doux Mahendrapala II of the Kumanchal Raj was very happy about the new addition to his Holdings and had a high opinion of the Basileus.

RMaK2Vxs_o.jpg

And peace came to the Empire. But the Emperor was not pleased. For he had lost the love of his life, the Heir to his Titles was an adulteress and had produced a adulteress as the next in line, and he feared he was getting closer to the end of his life. Soon he would leave the ship of state in the hands of others. Would they care for it as well as he had?

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I had to laugh at the news of his grand-daughter's shenanigans.

• 1Like
Reactions:
HAHA! Just noticed that, in the last image of the last chapter I totally failed to circle the County of Doti. :D

Reactions:
Chapter Seven Hundred-Forty-Nine : Counting The Cost

hfjx8Wdw_o.jpg

Medieval Calculator

It was the day after Christmas
And all through the Palace
Not a staff member was stirring
But for the Accountants!

“Bring me the butcher’s bill!”
Demanded the Emperor
“It better not be a bitter pill!
Bring me the Treasurer!”

And enough of that. It was the 26th of December, of the year 920 AD, and the Basileus wanted a review of how many men he had lost during the War for the County of Doti.

The Accountants had done the math, as that what they were good at, and had the Treasurer present the results to the Basileus. They figured the Basileus was less likely to kill the man out of rage once he laid eyes on the report.

There had been eight sieges and four battles. Though one battle had been against an enemy vassal and for some reason only two of the clashes had been counted towards the final victory. Either way the war had cost the Guge 5,665 soldiers.

The cost for the Imperial military had been 2,804 soldiers. The Basileus was not pleased.

“Not as bad as I thought it would be,” remarked the Emperor, to the Treasurer’s relief. “But not good either. I hate to think that the Guge has a better military than ours.”

So we close this short chapter with a happy Treasurer and a grumpy Emperor.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: