• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(42223)

Imperial Minister
Mar 28, 2005
Last edited:
I will be continuing on and welcome ALL comments here in this thread !!

Many sincere thanks,

Yukala

Well the flood of comments pour in :confused: I am working on two more threads, one about building Battle Mod balance and in game culture and another the on the Battle Mod AI.

I will be shortly away for a week on business so I may or may not have these two threads started before departure.

Otherwise, all good fun to all. :D

Where can you download it, (the linked download was last updated October) and what version of HOI2/DD is it for?

Hi greetings and salutations !! GeneralHannibal :D

Thanks for asking, yes that is RiskMod2 and going on being 1 year old this October. It is old and obsolete, left there from my point of view so as to pirated, as it has a lot of work into the map and OBB and diplomacy model. Yet it is pathetic compared to the new improved most wonderful now named: 'Risk Battle Mod'. :cool:

This mod changes so much it will require a separate game installation of HOI2, 1.2a as I constructed it by modifying all the generic files. This is more easy than is sounds to do of course and this mod is rock solid where the one posted last October crashes.

I rebuilt this mod, Risk Battle Mod, from scratch so though there are similiarities such as the map and such I was careful to build clean. Also this Battle Mod AI is a killer, extensively better than my last effort; utilizing a complex mix of defaults, (five total) to get desired results.

Also is it far more balanced, in that building an empire is not so easy, automatic or troublesome if the AI gets way ahead. Which it will do, and has every single game so far that I have played!!

I am fine tuning and will be ready to go gold with download available in two weeks. One of which I will be gone, so you see how close it is to going out the door. :cool:

And many, many sincere thanks for your interest !!

:)

Your original Risk mod was great. The opportunities every minor had.... the wacky alliances that would form.... it was wonderful.

I'm looking forward to Risk_Battle_Mod, but will it be compatible with Doomsday?

BTW why is this thread in the Grand Battle Mod subforum?

Hey many sincere thanks !!

I am here because I asked and both MaximusII and Tracid were gracious to so allow. I wanted to have sticky's and be able to lump a series of threads together in one place. I am still at TRP, yet so far have only linked back here from there in last thread. I will keep both updated. However, I think all Paradox mods should have some presence in their forums, even just out of respect for their hard work and support.

I was remiss in getting around to that. Just busy and distracted I guess.

Also, most importantly this Mod though using the whole map in a campaign style of play is still a Battle Mod. And Battle Mods are actually quite different from Historical recreations or even alternate time-line recreations. And I do not want to confuse people, especially when it comes to the AI. This AI is a leap forward, but I also know it is because it is a much less demanding application than historical recreations. And believe what I done here will none-the-less be of benefit eventually to those historical recreations which are so much more difficult to get just right.

Thanks for your quick answer Yukala, I will eagerly await it's release.

Well I am back from business, well actually for two days, however mostly busy.

Yet, I have a story to tell. :D

Got back and jumped on the AI thread located in the 1914 sub-forum and analsysed some of the AI postings. Especially interesting is the 'Draft 1914 German AI File by Stephen T with Revisions by TurnerBenten'.

First because it was so nicely detailed and comprehensive with explanations through most of it. :cool:

Second, as a contrast to my own way of thinking comparing it to my Risk Mod AI.

Additionally, I reviewed some notes that come along with the vanilla game and found one error on my understanding that was of particular significance. :eek:

So, with this I have played yet another series of hands-off games, some going for 4 years. Doing many more a tweak and change than I thought I would do at this late juncture.

Some conclusions:

If you think to Mod an AI, this shall be your portion:

Endless tweaking, followed by more endless fine-tuning, testing, and followed again by more thinking and tweaking on and on............ :rofl:

Well, I improved the show none-the-less and straightened out yet more oddities that I had inavertently created.

So, I will get that AI thread going soon, when I was in the thick of it however, I began wondering why bother? This modifying and evolving the AI will simply NEVER end. :confused:

A little morbid, but I am better now. :rolleyes:

Well, I have stumbled into some things interesting.

One is the what I call the black hole syndrome. When the battle scenario is war aggressive and alliances rare, it comes often that two and three countries chop up another and when annexed by whoever gets the capitol, they often get some 'rump' that is disassociated and locked into one the other winners area of conquest. These locked up provinces rebel and someone near by invariably bombs the rebels into oblivion.

However, those countries that control the surrounding provinces post half their standing army around this 'black hole' province. This of course just screws up the balance elsewhere. A war no war !!

After trying this that and the other to solve the problem. No go. So, I used the shot-gun approach. I rebuilt the VP scenario folder to 1 VP only for every single (count them 1800 plus provinces) province world-wide. This way all provinces must be occupied to annex. Brings up a host of minor problems, but I am fixing them. Like islands with 1 VP are generally a pain, etc.

Well, here is big surprise. The game runs 50% faster (this is a subjective observation of course) than with varied VP of 5, 10, or 25 at capitols etc. as it was before. Also the capitol relocation routine functions more practically, instead of relocating to some far off corner just because of high VP, it relocates capitol nearby generally with the remaining provinces still under its control which works better for the AI.

Also, with objectives weighted as equal, that is 1 VP, the armies are fielded more sanely, moving across a front to kill, subdue and take everything.

All, very interesting side-effects for sure.

Just wondering but, will risk battle mod be for HOI2 1.3 or 1.2 ?

GeneralHannibal said:
Just wondering but, will risk battle mod be for HOI2 1.3 or 1.2 ?

HOI2 1.3 is what it is built upon. However, remembering that this mod requires it's own clean install. For I change so many files, best to be its own install.

Yukala said:
HOI2 1.3 is what it is built upon. However, remembering that this mod requires it's own clean install. For I change so many files, best to be its own install.

Good, also, will all those sea connections still be there because i remember them being very frustrating.

Edit: Thank you for responing so quickly.

Well you mean that 'walking on water' part? As someone else very disgruntled told me.

Well as a game design and concept here is the quandary.

Each nation will only DoW any or all of its 'immediate neighbors' which means a direct connection. And those land connections over waterways are just such connections.

As well, dead-end provinces and isthmus, and islands or island chains can be very problematic for the AI's. Ideally I would design a map where every single province had a least three connecting provinces. So there would be no dead-end for AI's to pile at.

With those considerations, you can eliminate all VP's in any province that is dead-end. That way AI's will not get hung up there. And generally that solution is not a bad one. However, the first issue of preserving the desirability of each AI country only DoW an immediate neighbor is more cumbersome to manage.

Example, Iberia is by location in a dead-end and only has France as an immediate neighbor to attack. Where France has Iberia, Flanders, Fed Germany, Italy. That is four to one, where Iberia always gets a clear shot at France one on one. Possible solutions. Abandon the DoW to neighbors only and push the AI's to more amphibious landings, this I ended up disfavoring because it seemed more ridiculous to have Iberia attack Mexico for instance, on and on across the planet, especially with no alliances with say Texas for instance.

Current game concept preserves the following.
DoW against immediate neighbors only, no matter the size of ones empire and suppressed AI alliance though not impossible for the human player. The challenge is when it is time to cross an ocean to get the next challenger.

In order to get the AI countries to leap across an ocean requires more than meets the eye. I have a solution for this I think though requires more testing. I have made it work with some situations.

Special note for those who might care. The reason I believe Japan for instance has no interest in attacking North America is because the far more plentiful VP in close-by Asia makes America a ridiculous target. Whereas I routinely could entice New Zealand using the exact same parameters to attack the West Coast over and over, sometimes taking and holding vast sections. As well, taking Hawaii Island, Wake etc on a repeating basis. As well even United Provinces of America would go after take those islands if at war with American West.

So, I do use land connections over sea following some visual logic of sorts. :D

To connect countries that are just across the water so to speak. Where it dynamically increases the variable of DoW and subsequent survival or empires that might consequently arise.

So with this logic I connected Iberia to North African Alliance so at least she can be in a two front war, this better gives France an occasional chance to become an empire. And many others as well, or just sowed them together better to give 3 to 1 stacking on provinces wherever plausible.

However, remember the connections are all located in a single file that can be easily swaped out back to vanilla.

With this I am sitting here starring again at the Pacific Ocean and thinking about how to deal with it better…

Edit: I already succeeded given the above parameters to get Scotland to DoW Canada. So now on to serious tackling of criss-crossing the Pacific Ocean. :D

Last edited:
OK, I get it now, it was just something that annoyed me while playing France mainly because Scotland had the historical Royal Navy so I basically lost all my navy and couldn't even attempt to stop them from crossing.

Ya, here everyone starts with the same navy. But as France if you find four or five at war at once with you, your chances are slim. Yet AI France does win out from time to time, about the same as any other Europe AI country.

One key for the human is to give good trades to the neighbors you do not want to war with, that will bribe them off a few precious months, sometimes even longer. Also, be wary of being the first on the block to do a DoW. Also keep your borders very well fortifide. The human player can prosper, if they are very careful.

Yukala said:
Ya, here everyone starts with the same navy. But as France if you find four or five at war at once with you, your chances are slim. Yet AI France does win out from time to time, about the same as any other Europe AI country.

One key for the human is to give good trades to the neighbors you do not want to war with, that will bribe them off a few precious months, sometimes even longer. Also, be wary of being the first on the block to do a DoW. Also keep your borders very well fortifide. The human player can prosper, if they are very careful.

yeah, I think I'll probably start out with the US, A Chinese warlord or France. So it should be out in a week right, I can't wait.

Thanks for your keen interest GeneralHannibal, but it will be more than a week now most likely, as I am still having to fine-tune the complete VP overhaul.

I will however, keep posting a work-log, for those who care to follow my progress.

Anyways, I see no reason to particularily hurry as it seems this form of HOI modding is very niche. And I would rather have it the way I want it than go out the door on any particular time-table.

Again many gracious thanks ! :)

Yukala said:
Thanks for your keen interest GeneralHannibal, but it will be more than a week now most likely, as I am still having to fine-tune the complete VP overhaul.

I will however, keep posting a work-log, for those who care to follow my progress.

Anyways, I see no reason to particularily hurry as it seems this form of HOI modding is very niche. And I would rather have it the way I want it than go out the door on any particular time-table.

Again many gracious thanks ! :)

OK, I'll have to wait longer :( , but, you should get it done right, don't try to just finish it for it's own sake. There would probably be more replies if it wasn't in this sub-forum since many people think this sub-forum is dead. Maybe you could have a thread in the Other Mods section so more people would know about it. Just a thought.

Edit: Maybe you could release a few more picture stories. Also have you totally beaten the AI yet.

Hey, thanks for your suggestions !!

Will do it eventually. :D

I only can beat the AI IF I carefully play in nofog so I can watch every little thing it does so to better out-manuver it.

I am working in Far East now and have a few surprises to post soon. :)