• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Near final Report

Near Final Risk Battle Mod Beta Report: :cool:

Country Descriptions are now done. Credits will appear in game. Thanks to all.

Additionally, I am going over my GOLD checklist and it is very short.

Beta3 is cut short, my apologies to those willing to Beta3 test. I trust this decision will prove a good one for the community. It is my sincere desire that this mod be fun and be used as springboard for other ideas that always come forth.

Kanatitlan was really the only Beta3 tester and his extreme prowness to find human use weakeness or exploits due either design flaws or oversights was very helpful and much appreciated.

I wish I had the time to tackle the human side of the modding equation much better, however I must admit that I am not so inclined generally and mostly preferred to address AI behavior.

I also am confident that players will appreciate the efforts gone into making this mod now for two years and set each their own playing standard and exploits limits so as to better enjoy the 'spirit' of the mod.

But on the fair side, the AI's have advantages too that the human will only get if they cheat or drive an exploit deep. I therefor still recommend all players begin on the 'Very Easy' setting and most of us will be happy to stay on that difficulty setting. (this includes me :D )

Sincerely,
Yukala

Last edited:
The Wookiee said:
This means you'll release the mod to the general public soon-ish, right?

Exactly.
:D
Today is December 17th, and I just posted country descriptions into the mod with credits. Next two things on the list are minor and rest is housekeeping files for packaging and uploading.
:cool:

Risk Battle Mod Report

Risk Battle Mod Report:

It is just beautiful, just wonderful, terrific...
:rofl:
:D :cool: :D :cool:

ONE, I just figured out why the AI's were not attacking. So this fix is commencing. So beware, beware this mod just got three times as hard.

TWO, I have fixed the hole that Kanitatlan pointed out adroitly well. I bandaid it to death, for I did not want to change the theme, only tweak and bandaid.

Yukala said:
TWO, I have fixed the hole that Kanitatlan pointed out adroitly well. I bandaid it to death, for I did not want to change the theme, only tweak and bandaid.

What was that?

GeneralHannibal said:
What was that?

Ah, but there is a little story here. Kanitatlan zoned in with the skill of a Giant Eagle right out of Lord of the Rings er, well considering my feelings maybe a winged Nazgal. :eek:

Anyway, I made some theme changes to fix the MP glut and over building of infantry. Well that fix led to a much better understanding of why the AI will build hordes of Infantry just about no matter what. There are probably a half dozen hard coded build infantry instead of... (I know some of them by observation) however the result never really varied much; just build hordes of infantry. So that got fixed as well.

Well I wanted to be brilliant in handling MP so I tweaked some parameters in the misc. file, fine except this is where Kanitatlan drove a bloody and I mean battered up beat up misfit army straight on through. He is very adaptable.

Well this led to (confused yet ? ;) ) my bandaid fixes cause I am busy being stubborn and not wanting to change out my genius despite Kanitatlan offer to help do it. Something I will not reveal; this, why the AI's will not DoW a human. It is a 'EXPLOIT' due a something going on underneath. I am fixing it now. But if someone 'understood' it well, they could reproduce it quite easily.

On and on I tried to 'fix' this and added some more codes that made the mod far more furious to a human player. So the fixes got over the hump so to speak and have piled on each other, so when this is all done. NO ONE will hardly win unless they are very, very clever. I will give no more hints, but I think even Kanitatlan will have try more than once to break this now.

Yukala said:
On and on I tried to 'fix' this and added some more codes that made the mod far more furious to a human player. So the fixes got over the hump so to speak and have piled on each other, so when this is all done. NO ONE will hardly win unless they are very, very clever. I will give no more hints, but I think even Kanitatlan will have try more than once to break this now.

Well this brag will do down it dust before it gets out the door. It seems the criteria for DoW against a human is not the same as AI to AI. AI against human weighs at least one additional factor; having an advantage. So as I once again balance out each nation to the same stats, so AI DoW against humans goes out the window, bye-bye, dissappears one more time into oblivion... :eek:

Incredible, next time I ever mod will probably be only if I access to hard-coding as well. The game is wound yet a little tighter, however.

Theonlystd said:
*waiting impatiently*

I feel your pain, but my hands are tired again...
:D

Yukala said:
Well this brag will do down it dust before it gets out the door. It seems the criteria for DoW against a human is not the same as AI to AI. AI against human weighs at least one additional factor; having an advantage. So as I once again balance out each nation to the same stats, so AI DoW against humans goes out the window, bye-bye, dissappears one more time into oblivion... :eek:

Incredible, next time I ever mod will probably be only if I access to hard-coding as well. The game is wound yet a little tighter, however.

Well, then it must be up to the human to DoW the AI. Maybe you could chance the difficulty settings to the AI had plus 20% IC so they would feel they had an advantage.

GeneralHannibal said:
Well, then it must be up to the human to DoW the AI. Maybe you could chance the difficulty settings to the AI had plus 20% IC so they would feel they had an advantage.

Yep, a great idea, did it and then some a while back for beta3.

Some housekeeping of files, one big little hole to fix and out it goes. I practice Native American and Universal Consciousness religious practices that encourage my having this done and out by 21 December 06.

So, to solve the human side of equation:

I hereby appoint GenneralHanibal as Chief Overseer of the Watchers. As Chief Overseer GenneralHanibal your task is to mobilize a few members to police Risk Battle Mod players etique.

You are hereby empowered to enforce this rule and any others the whole you may deem appropiate.

Inherited Rule:

All Risk Battle Mod players will DoW twice per game year some country they touch by land or sea connection. If this rule is not adhered to, then posting any comments about a played game without having DoW at least twice per year will be considered 'invalid' by the playing community.

The rest of the rules are yours to make if any be needed.

Signed,

Chief Wizard and Maker of Mod,
YUKALA

I am more than happy to be a secret policeman! :eek:
Kewl! :cool:

Although I think the game is to be played to enjoy it. I can't imagine the point of playing the game without DoWing. With the IC penalty for non-DoWing, the human player will soon find themselves outmatched.

So Generalhannibal - let me know how you want to go about this and I will do all I can to help

Happy Christmas (BTW wont be able to do much till after Christmas)

hurricanehunter said:
I am so sorry that I was so useless for all of this, I could never get it to run quite right. I am eagerly awaiting its general release!

All feedback was useful. Beta went a little odd anyway due to me and the things I kept running into and having to run so many hundreds of tests, many all night. The third phase of beta ended near as fast as it started for it was with only one person famous for finding holes. :eek:

However, with the mod turning Gold you can help out with new players asking questions if you like.

Again Thanks,

Yukala

I am not completely following this. How would we monitor if people dow atleast twice a year? Do we make raids to peoples homes? My opinion is that you are allowed to play the game as you like it. Now beeing at war will hurt you in the long run anyway when others outgrow you.

EvilSanta said:
I am not completely following this. How would we monitor if people dow atleast twice a year? Do we make raids to peoples homes? My opinion is that you are allowed to play the game as you like it. Now beeing at war will hurt you in the long run anyway when others outgrow you.

The problem isn't not being at war but people at war who can leave their flanks safe. That shouldn't happen. Also, I believe this is only for people posting AARs or game reports. Maybe we could have a user term thing that asked people to DOW twice a year.

AI to human is not the same as AI to AI. I tried yet one more marathon of tweaks and changes. As long as a human is near even or more powerful the AI diplomatically will not DoW. Tweaking what I can to overcome this only screws up the AI to AI behaviour diplomatically to DoW.

I am sure most mods just use events to get the needed DoW against stronger countries (alliances may also do this also). You can order it about however like playing music by modifying the starting OOB; giving more to this country and less to that and when the human enters in the game, a prescribed (sqewed by chance) series of DoW can occur.

All I am asking EvilSanta is that post Gold, the human rule of DoW two times per year to countries touching by land/sea connections be honored for sake of community dialog.

No matter, I am making here a lot of noise about it, so the word will pass thus.

In these last many weeks I have discovered and overcome several very large blocks to making HOI2 work as an all out war game. It was not made to be an all out war game, but a more a diplomatic game that is by event brought along historical time-lines. And it suits this purpose wonderfully.

However, Risk Battle Mod still works so far as concerns the AI's. They will play to the death with each other. :D

Here enter human player only DoW one at a time and they will always have a keen advantage. That is alright in and of itself let each play as they please of course. This kind of play breaks the 'spirit' of how the game is made to work, however but more importantly is just plain dissappointing to come to this after so much effort.

So be it, I have disclosed this weakness up front and simply contend the limits of my modding. I will not resort to an event at this time due to wanting publishing sooner than later.

I just thought a Risk Battle Mod player club of sorts could better watch the human side of it once released. :cool:

Enough dialog and it will not matter.

If someone knows/wants to write an nifty event to solve the problem, like right a way. I think we would all be pleased and very thankful.
:)

Sincerely.

I usually do annex for ic rich provinces etc. always in hoi2 (no exception here)

But is puppeting disabled, are you able to puppet? If so is it likely given the warscore or extremely unlikely? :eek:

Also, are carriers nerfed at all so battleships are better or are lvl 1 carriers still going to dominate everything (except naval bombers :p)

Last edited: