• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thats just too much to expect! A AI that combines early war tactics to expand and switches gears to work together to form a powerful front.
Been playing Doomsday verison to brush up on game tactics.Kind of rusty.Lets hope there is a easy level to get your feet wet.
Love the game Risk and played many times. But looks like it will take the tactical thinking that goes into a chess game.Great work!

Risk Battle Mod Update:

Risk Battle Mod Update:

One half of the country descriptions are done. I will not be doing any more just for Beta2. The flavor is there and with feedback I will get the rest done for going Gold.

I am running test games through the night. No short-cut here as I am testing real-timing of three Risk Battle Mod phases mentioned earlier.

On a lighter note, I have theme in a form of a quotable quote for Risk Battle Mod, that came to me watching this puppy play out through the night.

Here it is !! :D

It starts out hard, then gets real nasty before getting near impossible, Risk Battle Mod, not for the faint of hard strategy.

:cool:

Well I am very tempted to put this quote in my sig... :eek:

However, I will repost it here... :cool: (emphasis added) :D

Originally Posted by AlenlorDRot
8.Best modder: I choose Yukala of the Risk Mod. He is busy doing the most difficult thing with ai, trying to make it artificially intelligent. In the future I suspect more and more of us will profit from his trials, tests, and tribulations.

I look forward to being crushed as a new country, perhaps the USA or Fance.

Risk Battle Mod Update:

GeneralHannibal said:
I look forward to being crushed as a new country, perhaps the USA or Fance.
:D

Risk Battle Mod Update:

Well I have run 3 hands hands off a full seven years! Just lastly, and this takes like 10-12 hrs per game run.

Making the mod play in all out war for seven or eight and still be stable, viable and balanced AI wise is probably is as much I should at this demand of this puppy. I guess you could ask the beta1 testers what they think of playing out a battle mod for seven or eight years, if that is a reasonable play. I would think most players start over long before that again and again.

Technically the mod plays 30 years, yet who would not conquer the world long before that much time elapsed ?

However, in most cases I doubt the AI's would play out that long smoothly well. So enough is enough I suspose.

Last hand-off in year seven, 30 of 55 AI nations were gone. The rest were mostly in spread between 6 or 7 alliance which all were in multiple wars.

Interestingly, Pacific Fire which is a completely vast island nation incompassing the whole of the Pacific Ocean had been eliminated. All her islands taken by several others. This is lot of island hoping, a lot. Argentina had take the Hawiian Islands and several others in totto. While Japan and New Zealand, American West took big chunks near them.

Here in this test game I declared the unlikely winner Yugoslavokia with the most VP and over 1000 IC, controlling virtually all of Europe and much of North Africa.

This being so, I still found a few needed tweaks. Will continue but not for so long now.

To continue had to go off and eat. Well this post is an accident. :)

I guess I will add; no matter the time all this takes, progress is made daily. The game is stable.

Last edited:
To continue had to go off and eat. :D

In starting the next hands off (after some minor tweaks) meaning the parameters are nearly the same, Yugoslavia is annexed out of existence by Romania on 23 September 1930 a mere 6 1/2 months into the game. Such contrast with same at-start scenario parameters.

Each game someone different seems to win, especially this is true in Europe, Aftrica, Asia triangle. The Americas have fewers players so winners repeat more often, yet again each gets a chance.

I have also been working on the AI's taking down level 6 to 10 forts (without compromising their strength which I have beefed up), mountains etc. Also to deal effectively with large wide fronts such as is common in Russia on the Europe side.

In the Beta1 games the AI's sat to much, especially for a Battle Mod. This has been amended and it shows itself across wide landscapes, mountained corners, and island hopping. The casualties are very, very high due to all of this, however that is reflective of a Risk Battle Mod. And it waits to be seen if players will turtle down to try to take advantage of this, yet I have accounted for that as well... :eek:

Thanks again to each and all your interest.

Sincerely,
:cool: :D

Yukala, will it be possible to have the MOD at three stages of tech development?
RISK Battle MOD 1930
RISK Battle MOD 1934
RISK Battle MOD 1937
In my attempts at WC I sometimes wish I could make full use of the tecg trees. And I have been known to hold off just so I could research certain favourite techs.
Have you tried modding for this?
I know you played around with it some time ago, but in the final release, it might be a goer....

therev said:
Yukala, will it be possible to have the MOD at three stages of tech development?
RISK Battle MOD 1930
RISK Battle MOD 1934
RISK Battle MOD 1937
In my attempts at WC I sometimes wish I could make full use of the tecg trees. And I have been known to hold off just so I could research certain favourite techs.
Have you tried modding for this?
I know you played around with it some time ago, but in the final release, it might be a goer....

Ya, I forgot about it, but that would not be too hard as it could be the same at start OOB and just change the at start year and techs in the country scenario files.

Anything else would you think of being different ? Oh I would need to amend the event trigger dates.

I'm hoping for a release soon, but I want to finish my Beta1 AAR first so I can continue Hannibal's story. Decisions, decisions.

Risk Battle Mod Beta2 is wrapped and uploaded at Box.net and I need some emails, which maybe my fault for not keeping track. Could you look at the beta thread and see if I need your email.
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks to Kanitatian almost 3000 words 'first impressions' feedback on Risk Battle Mod, Beta2 with his AAR here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273221

I have addressed some reinforcement imbalances and the ease of turtling down and building mega armies of infantry.

He also pointed out my over setting the flanking bonus.

Results of so much fine feedback GOLD, is this:
I have modified Infantry soft attacks and Light Tank soft attacks.
Envelope was reduced to 30%.

Other details I would rather be discovered, but the theme of it is this.

Professional armies of mixed troops should now hammer large stacks of Infantry and militia especially if those stacks are green.

I borrowed some of Kanitatian genus in playing style and gave it to the AI's figuring humans will mostly keep to their own habits unwittingly.

However, it is cheaper, faster to reinforce in Beta3. Not as cheap though as he set in his beta run. But I have done other things to even this out.

Overall it looks like the AI's should be a notch tougher, sooner and longer.

So I am in Beta3 now and am hand-off testing to series 7 already. Beta2 is closed to those who already have it.

I am double checking the balance of making and keeping veteran troops over and against green troops, also the more specialized advantages and disadvantages of each unit. So it remains very important to build units across the spectrum.

Risk Battle Mod Update

Risk Battle Mod Update:

Placed peacemodifier on all countries at 0.6 which is 60% IC strength. Even has me worried as I start up a test game as Iberia. Iberia feels like a 'safer' corner on the map yet since I am also trying out a land connection between South America and Africa which will distract North African Alliance natural enemy Republic of Liberia to the south; Iberia may have become a harder play. :D

Beta2 testers are forging forward and helping shape the next beta which is taking form as Beta3.

Funny how I keep thinking each step is the last, only to discover more and more... and something forgotten or lost along the way. Or then again someone clever enough to drive piles infantry though the wall... :eek:

Oh well, this mod may end up to hard to play if very many more good players give me anymore detailed feedback. :cool:

Risk Battle Mod Update:

Risk Battle Mod Update:

It is 'official' Beta2 is over...
And I want to again extend deep gratitude to ALL testers and all feedback and especially community support at the AAR's

Thanks !!

From in depth reports (especially Kanitatian's this last round :D ) and every other comment have all together provided much needed help !! :rolleyes:

It seems each time I roll to a beta wrap I think it is gold, yet I am so thankful beta prevailed, cause I would hate not to have what Beta3 has turned out to be.

So here I we go to Beta3.

I will start a threads for same.

Risk Battle Mod Update:

As Beta3 wraps I am determined to go Gold soon hereafter.

I look forward finishing what turned out to be almost two years of modding.

Gratifying, yet I also look forward to 'other' adventures as well.

Thanks to all and each.

Yukala

Risk Battle Mod Summary Report

Risk Battle Mod Summary Report:

After some more limited testing and tweaking of Beta3, a few considerations have emerged:

Primary objective is to wrap to GOLD now more quickly.

Second, in testing due to the starting OOB being now so large with 90 plus ground units etc. The AI's will not generally DoW a human no matter they just sit there and do nothing. And I mean do nothing, build nothing, move nothing or research any tech. I have seen it happen out a year as of this writing.

So, I amended the peace modifier to effective .3 which translates to 30 IC out 100 IC when at peace. This and the desire to win or play the game will have to be the reason enough for the human to DoW somebody. This may get things going beyond the one DoW. Maybe not, however if you do not DoW, then you cannot win or just plain are not playing but watching anyway.

This brings me to the third and most potent point: ( :eek: Drum roll please :p )

Human ability to take advantage of game mechanics, or what may be considered, you know it, EXPLOITS. :D :rofl:

I built Risk Battle Mod with good or excellent AI BEHAVIOR as first consideration. I have accomodated some human behavior to a point.

Use exploits to the point where for you as player having fun it still makes sense. Use cheats, or the F12 consol if you like for I did not disable it. I do not believe I am capable at this point of my modding ability and mastery to counter and account for tricky human behavior.

I just want to play and have fun. And I trust this mod will provide that for you.

Maybe you fans can organize some kind of player fair play protocol just for the 'fun' of it. :cool:

P.S. I am inclined to wrap to Gold as is, when those country descriptions are done. See that thread.

This is a hint, hint....