• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(42223)

Imperial Minister
Mar 28, 2005
Hi all interested parties and illustrious beta testers and now some modding help. :D :cool:

This thread will be for summarizing feedback and work I will do take Risk Battle Mod from Beta to Gold. :D

Please give your votes and opinions so changes reflect a concensus from those play-testing or closely observing the play-testing.

Also any others who wish to beta-test please PM me.

LM just posted a second or replacement Risk Battle Mod unit set. Take a look and tell me what you might think comparing it to my Beta version now in use.

LM Unit Set Proposal

Also related a game analsys and suggestion thread started earlier here:

Suggestion and Analsys thread

It seems the AI doesn't build enough troops, I have around half the IC of Russia yet I still outnumber them, maybe you should make the AI concentrate more on infantry, at least in the beginning.

Ok, that will certainly contrast LM unit set, which have traditional build times.

On that note, having options is nice, however Risk Battle Mod is fanciful, in how it handles terrain, unit build rates or time and of course with so much IC and resources all around.

It may be good to have two for the player but I suspect some game play would change just hanging around for units to be built.

Anyway as per your suggestion:

Infantry take average 43 days to make and cost 3.6 IC, 8.0 MP. The AI build percentages for Inf is 14%. Barring panic builds this usually means 15-25 Inf built first year to a healthy AI I think and many other land units.

What do you have right now compared to Russia. What date is it? And the IC layout?

Now to amend making invaded AI's far more troublesome. One can modify the 'panic' which is now set at 65% collapse of IC before they hit panic mode. Or that 14% can be raised. I think I prefer lowering the panic threshold.

The thing is, right now the AI will build most everything I want perfectly. Also most settings affect humans as well as AI's. So when you counter one situation with a change, humans will counter yet again. The panic build only affects AI's which makes it so attractive.

How do you unit wise compare with the rest of the world?

Question for Beta Testers

#Question for Beta Testers (or anyone else)

What percentage of your games do you on the Land Doctrine choose 'Firepower Focus' ?

And what percentage of the time do you choose 'Mobility Focus' ?

Many Thanks !!

Another Beta tester query

What is also valuable information for me, I have gleamed from some threads and would appreciates any updates to it.

Hmm, I managed to become a beta tester for this mod, and wow, I'm impressed with how well you've done, I'm finding it really difficult.
by DirtyCommiePuke

Now, what does that mean in detail? Which country did you try, how did you play it, what happened exactly. Where did get over-whelmed, like from the number DoW against you and then by air, sea or land ?

:D Many thanks. Got a see the blood... :cool:

DirtyCommiePuke: Thanks, this is my 5th game with the mod (2 US, both semi-successful, 2 French, one I got annexed in and the other I took all of western Europe and this game)
by General Hannibal

This is good, how long for each game. And when annexed by whom and what date?

Thanks and your AAR is fantastic. :D

therev, I know so far, Australia, USA and a short stint with Russia to get the feel of it. Again many thanks and in getting a feel for Russia, what advise would you give a fellow human player?

EvilSanta I know as Persia and most truely your AAR as well is very nice. Persia is hard as is most of Asia, Europe or Africa because one is exposed on so many sides. Easier to find some kind of corner on the map and go from there. Well this is no different than the board game Risk, where a corner is preferable, lest you draw fire from all sides.

All together this is the information needed for fine tuning game play in the first two years of play.

Next, having the game be a challenge after one becomes an accomplished super-power say 2-3 years out is another more complicated demand on the mod.

And the third phase would be going for true global conquest beyond the continent you started on and perhaps even going nuclear. This remains the last possible accomplishment for Risk Battle Mod to have.

I hope to mostly have these three objectives in place with Beta going Gold. So hang in there share both defeat and victory!! :D

I have basically posted a report of what's gone on in Europe during the first year of gameplay in my AAR. There have been some countries annexed, and not all by me :p. I will post what's happened in the other continents tomorrow for the next update. As for the France game, I wasn't actually annexed, but I had only a few out-of-supply troops left in 3-5 provinces. I think it would have been Flanders who annexed me though.

Well the Risk AAR's continue to unfold and mature each providing some very important feedback for to assure the best possible Risk Battle Mod.

Not yet hearing about difficulties except of having 'hard time' making a go it here and there at the beginning, but mostly at this juncture just some time constraints to both play and post.

However, I also have thanks to LM+ some very challenging thinking to do and am guided by keeping Risk Battle Mod first and foremost fun, even if you lose.

As a note, I have game tested over 1000 hands-off and partially played games. This I believe continues to be an important factor in assuring a great mod. So though more is contemplated, I will proceed mindful of the necessity to play run dozens of test games all along the way.

This process shall take some time of course which will also give the beta's more time.

Again each and all many thanks as I roll up my sleeves to go through the game mechanics yet again... :D

Of three AAR's

The three AAR's, by EvilSanta, GeneralHannibal and therev are moving along and maturing nicely, go there if you have not. All three in the HOI2 AAR sub-forum.

Well they are captivating, however extremely so for me as the modder!!!! I am learning more this way than I ever have any other way, thanks guys !! And gosh keep trucking... :cool:

What is of particular importance is comparitive tech research human to AI and build up of IC strength or survival for that matter. It also seems the TC is by far the biggest game regulator, next Air and if fighting in the north, winter attrition.

I keep watching and learning, thanks!!!
:D

Was there a decision on making this available for Doomsday? I would really love to play but I have Doomsday rather than HOI2. Thanks.

Yes, it will be ported to DD, after it goes Gold being released for HOI2. Beta is still in progress, however moving forward nicely.

Many thanks for your interest!

Veilwalker said:
But I want to play it right now!! :(

It looks like too much fun to contain it to just HOI2.

To keep things in clear perspective; I have DD, yep it is on the new computer just lying there on one of the hard-drives... :cool:

Never played it. ;)

Need assistence to port Risk Battle Mod after it goes Gold over to DD, unless of course no one minds waiting for awhile............... :eek:

I am certainly willing to help but I am not sure that my skills will live up to my willingness. I can probably talk one of my friends in to helping as well, or least I can try to bludgeon him over the head repeatedly until he agrees to donate some of his time as well. hehe.

If you can give me some idea of what needs to be done and how to do it then I am more than willing to do it.

Well we will forge forward then to DD as soon any person with games, HOI2 and DD wishes too. And second when I can look at it. You see I have very nearly perfect one-track focus concerning projects. So when Risk Battle Mod goes Gold and I am happy about it, then I could look at DD just because of the interest etc. However, IF someone else would like to hit the ball over to DD, I would be thrilled. :D

hurricanehunter said:
Is there anychance of me being able to help? (And by that I mean being able to ppay this in BETA now) It looks great, and after reading the AARs on it I must play it! What do you want, money, fame, my soul? Its allup for grabs.

Yes, most certainly yes and I will not even require your soul, (my first choice :D ) however, just feedback !!!!

Will be going to Beta2 for Risk Battle Mod in a few days and then I will post download intructions. I have now with you three more new betas waiting. This is wonderful.

Will post progress here in this thread. However, I need to go an old growth forest with a friend this weekend on the salt water beach and just stare at a fire all night. It is just one of those things; :cool: besides it is October. :D

Beta2 Risk Battle Mod Update:

Beta2 Risk Battle Mod Update:

First off, enjoyed some time off. :D
Second have been utilizing some of the wisdom of LM+ and have conjured a few tweaks toward the making of Beta2. Not radical though for two reasons.

One; some changes did not work well for the Risk Mod theme. Others did and this process is slow to track and prove out. The other reason is the AAR's are continuing to yield excellent information which must be respected and again takes time to unfold and utilize.

Now, however improvements have been made to the battle part and some balance issues for TC load and a few unit stats. These improvements are being borne out in a hands-off game now in year 1938, August; which is eight full game years of play.

Some very interesting things have been shown and I have screen shots saved. Of those things interesting includes a new country formed via partisan activity. This being a Stalinistic Iceland breaking away from Confederate States who is fighting a losing war against Texas for complete control of North and Central America.

Also, I loaded up Italy and found them at Cag 3 level and a Armored Transport Fleet numbering 75 with over 60 cags attached. So the AI uses this unit configuration just fine.

Other worthy news is South Africa in #1 place with over 600 IC at one point, controlling most of Africa, Middle East, Iberia, France and all of Scotland !! Most impressive. I guess some displaced British found their way back home; a long hard road north. :cool:

Also, the AI trek through the Tech tree is mostly very solid and at this stage some Atomic techs are done and many up to level 3 in many a catagory. Also the AAR's bear this out. I will however make a few changes more for Beta2.

But, the biggest conclusion from watching this game is the pressing need for an event that as a country expands over another it 'inherits' chunks of land it occupies. This done well could make Risk Battle Mod so much closer in action to its theme. It would mitigate the giving back of large amounts real estate during peace. Well I understand it now it would (read hope :cool: ) and have no proof based on experience just yet. However, am convinced that is the single most important thing to have done next, design wise.

Been checking the fourms on and off for this. There was a random generated mod made but it did not have the same impact as that the Risk mod is making. I know this is a fast pace game with aggressive AI . But Will diplomacy help to give you time to build up forces?Or is this pure tactics like chess.Think ahead or be beaten.