• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter I: Preparations
  • Arnulf Floyd

Captain
    Oct 22, 2018
    Hi, everybody! I am new both to CK2 and forums, I enjoy so much AARs and I decide to writes one because I am a writer in RL. Similar to Bullflitter's AAR I using this as learning vehicle for this awesome game, I hope as other WritAARs will enjoy my first attempt at a AAR;)

Game: CK2 2.5.2 with all DLCs enabled, no mod
    Dynasty: Ua Brian of Munster

Sorry if you found misspelling grammar because English not is my native tongue:rolleyes:

Chapter I: Preparations

In Year of Our Savior 1066, Petty Kingdom of Munster is ruled by good Murchad, grandson of late Brian Boru, high king of Ireland killed 50 years ago during a large battle with Vikings from Dublin. Murchad is middle-aged, wrathful, charitable and gregarious, he has a only son named Brian. High King send Chancellor to improve relations with Earl of Desmond, Marshall begin train troops in Capital Province. Murchad thinks as he and his sons need wives among European great families for maintain Ua Brian clan for centuries, Murchad found Sigrid, princess of Denmark, Brian was betrothred to Emma, bastard daughter of Norman Duke Robert de Hauteville, which seems a good future wife for Brian. Chaplain was send to improve religious relations in county of Urmhumhain, ruled by Ragnvald, a Norse-Irish chieftain

Notes: Munster starts with mere two provinces, my initial plan is annexing Desmond, de jure part of petty kingdom, but problem is levies are too small to overrun them, I see as size of realm affects number of levy. I playing with easy but things struggles me already

Last edited:
    Chapter II: In Time
  • Chapter II: In Time

King Murchad decide as Earldom of Desmond will become first conquest but Desmondians are enough powerfull, this thing requires much strategy, Marshall train troops for counter enemy threat. In November Munster declare war on Desmond, king know as quick decisions are unsafe decisions, he order as attack will occurs in spring for avoid winter attrition. All things goes better for Murchad Ua Brian both domestically and statewide, no infuriated vassal, no rebellion and no foes attack frontiers. In march of 1067, Ragnvald begin fabricate claims on Desmond, king raises levies and begin a agressive offensive against dogs, defeat stationed army, another fleeing to Laigin.

Gameplay major questions:

How to biesieging and killing Earl of Desmond because I not want him as vassal because in previous playthrough he become vassal and rebelling
    Which is next easiest target to conquer: Connachta, Laigin or Osraige
    How to marrying Emma because I've tried and I've seen as my relation with Robert is low(I can't send proposal due to that)

Chapter III: Murchad and His Family
  • Chapter III: Murchad and His Family

Murchad receive news which make him happy. Gunhild, his dear wife, is with child. Ragnvald has organised a great feast and king was one of guests. After few months, his queen give birth to a little girl, Murchad as decide as she will be a educated and kind lady. In a day, Gunhild want as Murchad purchase a mare for her, king choose wisely most expansive of them despite cost 15 of personal treasury, Gunhild falls in love with king because he shows his true love for her. Brian and Emma de Hauteville marrying, cementing alliance between Irishmen and Normans. Over next months, Murchad find wives for his male siblings among European nobility, secure importance and valor of his dynasty. Murchad is a happy man
    j1GwOeO.jpg

Hx2d77I.jpg

Note: Chapter II is outdated because I begin a new playthrough today which let me to enjoy game. All seems interesting as I have claims to Norman Sicily and Southern Italy, also to Denmark. I believe as this will be a good playthrough if nothing bad happens to me. I play in normal mode and I try to avoid savescum except some delicate situations such as civil wars and revolts;)

Last edited:
    Chapter IV: Munster
  • Chapter IV: Munster
    Murchad begin to prepare his kingdom for annexing Osraige, Ragnvald manage to receive claims after years of hard work. Munsterians aided by Norman Sicilians conquer Osraige, king take as his personal domain. Family increased almost yearly but many of births were to Murchad and Brian, but Murchad anger Gunhild because a girl was born to lover of Murchad, he decide for avoid issues with Gunhild and rest of family to marrying his mistress in another country. Queen take revenge give birth to a boy named Kjartan Art, which allows her to keep her husband at home. Two years late, Murchad was blessed with another daughter from his Norse lady baptised with name of Brunhild, one of Valkyries. Brian and Emma are more happy than Murchad and Gunhild because none of them were unfaithfull. Unfortunely Desmond become independent and Murchad must act to defeat treachery of Tadg. Fortune has favoured Murchad which capture and imprison Tadg but king decide as renegade must executed, son of Tadg is placed as earl of Desmond

Note: This chapter is based on eight years of gameplay, some minor events I've forgot because these not awoke my interests, also without screenshoots, but next chapter will include one or more screens.

Last edited:
    Chapter V: A New Hope
  • Chapter V: A New Hope
    Earl Donnchad of Thormond is a Irish minor nobleman which descends from Brian Boru, this thing make him arrogant and proud, he not forgot as English are their overlords but they are ruled by a strawman named John Lackland, craven brother of famous crusader Richard the Lionheart, which provides to be disgrace of whole Plantagenet clan. Donnchad hates John because he was in crusade with Richard and knows as John not is a able man to rule England. Donnchad planning to marrying his son with princess of Portugal, but chieftain search a wife for himself, he heard as Kristina, princess of Denmark, looks good and have a passion for intrigue. Council begin works - chancelor is send to improve relations with earl of Ormond, marshall begin train troops, steward collect taxes and chaplain is at Rome for improve relation with Pope. Several days later, Kristina arrives at court of Donnchad - a young lady of Norse descent will be one powerfull and independent, age difference is almost 30 years, Kristina can have love affairs with young men.

Notes: Donnchad not was in crusade and neither know Richard in OTL, I've added because I want to explains why Donnchad hates John

Chapter VI: A Irish Countryside Life
  • Chapter VI: A Irish Countryside Life

Over course of many years, Donnchad manages to make his family grows bigger through marrying his sons of first marriage with princesses of Portugal. Donnchad knows as life is short and hard especially in his times. In England nobles declare civil war on King John, Donnchad joining rebellion because his liege is part of it. France attacks Ireland because they were allies of English monarchy Tragedy struck because Berengaria of Portugal, wife of Toirredelbach, Donnchad's eldest son, dies at age of 24 and leave behind her two children. Toirredelbach remarrying with another woman named Sybille and have children with her. Donnchad manage to keep his dominion intact despite civil war in British Isles and many life challenges

Notes: Seems comically as king Philippe II Augustus aid English because in OTL he is enemy of John

Closing commentary
  • Thanks everybody for support and encouragement, this is by far best gaming community I've meet in my life:) I will says as this AAR is finished because I spent so much time working hard at my medieval semi-fantasy novel and playing games:D