• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter I: Preparations

Arnulf Floyd

Captain
Oct 22, 2018
Hi, everybody! I am new both to CK2 and forums, I enjoy so much AARs and I decide to writes one because I am a writer in RL. Similar to Bullflitter's AAR I using this as learning vehicle for this awesome game, I hope as other WritAARs will enjoy my first attempt at a AAR;)

Game: CK2 2.5.2 with all DLCs enabled, no mod
Dynasty: Ua Brian of Munster

Sorry if you found misspelling grammar because English not is my native tongue:rolleyes:

Chapter I: Preparations

In Year of Our Savior 1066, Petty Kingdom of Munster is ruled by good Murchad, grandson of late Brian Boru, high king of Ireland killed 50 years ago during a large battle with Vikings from Dublin. Murchad is middle-aged, wrathful, charitable and gregarious, he has a only son named Brian. High King send Chancellor to improve relations with Earl of Desmond, Marshall begin train troops in Capital Province. Murchad thinks as he and his sons need wives among European great families for maintain Ua Brian clan for centuries, Murchad found Sigrid, princess of Denmark, Brian was betrothred to Emma, bastard daughter of Norman Duke Robert de Hauteville, which seems a good future wife for Brian. Chaplain was send to improve religious relations in county of Urmhumhain, ruled by Ragnvald, a Norse-Irish chieftain

Notes: Munster starts with mere two provinces, my initial plan is annexing Desmond, de jure part of petty kingdom, but problem is levies are too small to overrun them, I see as size of realm affects number of levy. I playing with easy but things struggles me already

Last edited:
Welcome to AAR writing! I hope it will be enjoyable for you. And a nice start gaining a daughter of the Norman Robert for your son. An auspicious start indeed.

Welcome to AAR writing. Ireland is a good place to learn.

Good luck @Arnulf Floyd, I hope you enjoy it. I admire your dedication to do this in a language other than your native one! All hail Murchad, May the spirit of Brian Boru live in him. :)

Thanks for replies, I've tried many campaigns before as I decide to play as this clan for a second playthrough. I am open to suggestions regarding gameplay because I'm just a beginner

Welcome aboard. Always good to see a new AAR. I shan’t offer any gameplay suggestions, because one look at my AAR will confirm that I’m no good when it comes to gameplay ;)

Thanks for replies, I've tried many campaigns before as I decide to play as this clan for a second playthrough. I am open to suggestions regarding gameplay because I'm just a beginner
Will offer what little I can - as a fellow novice - once you get into the description of your starting position and initial plans. :)

subbed

Chapter II: In Time
Chapter II: In Time

King Murchad decide as Earldom of Desmond will become first conquest but Desmondians are enough powerfull, this thing requires much strategy, Marshall train troops for counter enemy threat. In November Munster declare war on Desmond, king know as quick decisions are unsafe decisions, he order as attack will occurs in spring for avoid winter attrition. All things goes better for Murchad Ua Brian both domestically and statewide, no infuriated vassal, no rebellion and no foes attack frontiers. In march of 1067, Ragnvald begin fabricate claims on Desmond, king raises levies and begin a agressive offensive against dogs, defeat stationed army, another fleeing to Laigin.

Gameplay major questions:

How to biesieging and killing Earl of Desmond because I not want him as vassal because in previous playthrough he become vassal and rebelling
Which is next easiest target to conquer: Connachta, Laigin or Osraige
How to marrying Emma because I've tried and I've seen as my relation with Robert is low(I can't send proposal due to that)

Looks like the war is starting out on a good foot.

How to biesieging and killing Earl of Desmond because I not want him as vassal because in previous playthrough he become vassal and rebelling

I am by no means an expert so take my suggestions as there are. I am constantly learning and picking up gameplay tidbits from the good folk writing the AAR's. (Which usually means going back and replaying a portion of my game with new gameplay knowledge.)

Since this is a de jure war if you win he will be your vassal. Without a claim there is little you can do. You could plot to kill him or assassinate him but then the county would go to his heir. If you are discovered you will take a big hit on your relations with others. Once you have the claim you can press it. If he gives in you have it. If he rebels and defeat him in the ensuing war you get the county.

For me I would check to see what casus belli you have. I would then open the leader's screen and see how many troops he has and how much gold. The one with the smallest amount of troops is usually the one I would go after. However, I would make sure he does not have enough gold to hire mercenaries.

How to marrying Emma because I've tried and I've seen as my relation with Robert is low(I can't send proposal due to that)

I am going to leave this to others. Raising relationship scores is something I have trouble with. When I actually do it I think it is more blind luck than skill.

Gameplay major questions:

I'm no expert at gameplay (seriously, check out my AAR for proof of this ;) ) but here's my tuppence worth:

1) If you don't have a claim he WILL become your vassal. You might want to seek out someone else who has a claim and who you have good relations with. Then, at least, you'll have a happy vassal.
2) No idea - I think they're all fairly easy in the grand scheme of things.
3) I've tried bribing lieges in the past as I think they ultimately make the decision on who marries whom.

Thanks dudes. I will post next chapter over next days because I begin play The Winter King for understand better game mechanics and for to be impressed in British spirit. Also I have another literary project which keep me busy, a semi-fantasy novel set in a late medieval setting.

Aye you'll need a claim.

Good luck figuring out the claims. I’m far from an expert, so not sure how much wise counsel I can offer. Are you going to do a few screenshots of the situations eventually, or will it be a written only AAR?

Chapter III: Murchad and His Family
Chapter III: Murchad and His Family

Murchad receive news which make him happy. Gunhild, his dear wife, is with child. Ragnvald has organised a great feast and king was one of guests. After few months, his queen give birth to a little girl, Murchad as decide as she will be a educated and kind lady. In a day, Gunhild want as Murchad purchase a mare for her, king choose wisely most expansive of them despite cost 15 of personal treasury, Gunhild falls in love with king because he shows his true love for her. Brian and Emma de Hauteville marrying, cementing alliance between Irishmen and Normans. Over next months, Murchad find wives for his male siblings among European nobility, secure importance and valor of his dynasty. Murchad is a happy man
j1GwOeO.jpg

Hx2d77I.jpg

Note: Chapter II is outdated because I begin a new playthrough today which let me to enjoy game. All seems interesting as I have claims to Norman Sicily and Southern Italy, also to Denmark. I believe as this will be a good playthrough if nothing bad happens to me. I play in normal mode and I try to avoid savescum except some delicate situations such as civil wars and revolts;)

Last edited:
Nice update - things seem to be going well this time. :)Any plans to expand the little kingdom close to home? Or happy just to build what you have for now?

"...this will be a good playthrough if nothing bad happens to me..."

You see, I think this ALL THE TIME in my current AAR and then, with the predictability of the tides, some vassal rebels / some plague strikes / someone assassinates me.

Part of what makes this game amazing :)

Bad things will happen.