• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Revan529

Field Marshal
94 Badges
Mar 28, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
m1hrw7b.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Rise of Empires: 1789. I and my co-GM are pleased to finally launch the game after many a two weeks of occasional hard work. Before the game can be truly and fully launched, it would, I reckon, be wise to inform the playerbase of the rules, procedures, and other minutiae necessary to play the game with some modicum of order and sense.

RULES

First and foremost, this is not a god-game; you do not have infinite knowledge, and you do not have the unchecked capacity to control the populace of your nations – sadly, they are not automata for the glory of your nation. Instead, you shall be playing variably as the Head of State or Head of Government of your nation, or potentially as some collective ruling body (as I believe the Swiss are presently), be they a King, an Empress, a President, or whatever. You will, at least hopefully, have the confidence of your government and ruling class, but that is by no means guaranteed, as we shall no doubt see shortly.

Like other games of this kind, it is not particularly feasible to go about this game in a real-time manner; it would be an abomination. Instead, we shall have turns, which shall consist of a single year, with the exception of this first turn, which opens on 15 July 1789, the day following the storming of the Bastille and the beginning of the French Revolution.

Sneaky and I shall attempt to set up and announce a deadline for orders for every turn to be sent in, and shall, with perhaps less enthusiasm, attempt to write all of them in a timely manner. However, as life can interfere in fun, or whatever you want to call this, we cannot guarantee a rigid weekly schedule. We will try though. Honest.

Beyond the year-spanning updates, both Sneaky and I will try to post several mini updates, covering a range of topics (for myself, they will typically relate to the developing situation in France), some stolen egregiously from history, some sired from the recesses of our minds, and a choice few from the successes or failures of the player-base, mainly (and joyously) the latter. Typically, the conduct of major wars will be released via this method.

Unlike certain GMs (*I am not in any way implying Cheef*), I believe it to be a good thing to encourage in-character postings, or IC; ICs can range on anything pertinent to the nation you are playing, from internal matters to foreign affairs, to history and art and culture from your nation. I welcome it all, and will give small bonuses for them (but only to a point, as the spamming I do in WiR:1900 could overwhelm most everyone); furthermore, IC being released in conjuction with your orders (that is, if you order reforms of the military and then IC about select elements of that reform), another small buff may be applied.

Continuing from the above, all Great Powers are expected to IC once a turn (both myself and Sneaky being exempt), or they shall be penalised as their GM sees fit. All other nations should try to IC every turn, but as long as you do so every other turn, my wrath (and possibly even Sneaky’s) shall be avoided.

Of final note on this matter, I only consider a proper IC to consist of, at minimum, three lines.

On a matter of aesthetics and simple good looks and orderliness, if you choose to add a flag or national emblem, or pictures to your posts, try to keep them at a reasonable size. If you acquire a flag from Wikipedia, there is an option to use a 640x flag most always; please use that one. Or don’t. Ignore me. It’s not like I can just kick you from the game or anything.

ORDERS

I believe that is it for most of the fluff, so let us move on to orders. In this game, there shall be a number of orders, which I shall now list off and proceed to explain: Regular, War, Colonial, and Revolutionary.

War Orders are, simply put, the war-plans devised by a nation to fight their enemies, be they internal or external; more broadly, they can be used with or without a formal declaration of war – without coming in the form of state-sponsored piracy or a sneak attack, amongst others (I accept most creative and offensively-minded uses of them, though my co-GM may be more discriminating). Typically, you will list off the numbers of divisions or the amount of men (or the ships and fleets) you’re using, the commanders heading those forces, the strategy and general tactics, and largely whatever else you may wish to cram into them. There are, technically, no real limit to the amount of war orders you may send, but I would suggest to keep the amount reasonable (say, one per nation you’re fighting), and keep them mostly topical.

Colonial Orders are a somewhat different beast, particularly from other games, in that they have a base requirement – to acquire one, your nation must have a minimum of five provinces on a land-mass, excluding your home continent). For instance, Spain has certainly more than five in North America, South America, and Asia, and thus receives three. The Netherlands, have more than five in South America, Africa, and Asia, and also receive three. The Portuguese have more than five in South America, Africa, and (if only just) in Asia. The British have more than five in North America and Asia, and thus receive two, whilst France have five in North America, giving them one. Russia, similarly, having just five in North America, receives but one colonial order, as well.

A player may, however, choose to cede that order to another player, who will take on the role of the governing body in that region. For example, the player for the Kingdom of Spain can cede its colonial order for North America to a new player, who will take on the role of Viceroy of New Spain; he could alternatively, cede his South American colonial order to a player who would, for the moment, control the Viceroyalties of New Granada, Peru, and La Plata. These players serve only so long as their sovereign wills, though there are potentially exceptions.

These orders should be relegated to the region they come from; that is, if you are playing France, you should only use your colonial order for your North American possessions, whilst Portugal may use one for each of its continental possessions. I should also express that you may use the colonial order not only to manage your possessions – building infrastructure and whatnot – but also to colonise, though the chances of success are much lower than using a regular order (though the costs are similarly lowered).

Moving on to the last of the basic orders available to (almost) all, we have the Regular Order; these are the bread and butter of nation-state games, and can fill a variety of roles, from administration to infrastructure, from establishing a colony to reforming the military. They can be used for practically anything, though they have their limits. The amount of orders a nation receives is entirely related to its position atop the world state; the Great Powers, the leading eight nations, receive three, the Secondary Powers two, and the Minor Nations a measly one. They should, however, count their lucky stars that they aren’t IC Nations, which don’t receive Regular Orders at all, and must instead IC their way into prominence. It must further be noted that

Lastly, we have a final order, the Revolutionary Order, which Revolutionary France, and all revolutionary countries, receive so long as they represent a radical faction. With this, they can lower popular support for the reactionaries, boost support for the revolution, incite protests and uprisings, and even foment rebellion both at home and in neighbouring countries. Be warned though, that once this order is used, things may quickly spiral out of all control (that is, a critical success could be just as dangerous, if not moreso, than a critical failure). It should also be noted that revolutionary efforts in foreign countries will be far less successful whilst the revolutionary faction isn’t the dominant – in France’s case, whilst the King still holds preeminent control, the revolutionaries would best look within their own borders.

In the above, I made reference to a “radical faction,” and I feel that this too should be expanded upon. As most of us are likely well aware, Revolutionary France was a hotbed of ideologies, which at times clashed violently. At the moment, the revolutionary movement is relatively united under the leadership of one player, but as events unfold, the various factions within France shall in all likelihood come to blows. Thus, Revolutionary France may well split into Feuillant and Jacobin Factions, and later into Girondist and Montagnard France; should such splits occur, the more radical of the two factions shall receive the power of the Revolutionary Order, whilst the moderate faction may be compelled to work with the King, or hope to use its (presumably) dominant position as a counter; and woe be upon the reactionaries should the extreme factions take control.

Some of you may now be wondering what happens in the event of a Royalist France and a Revolutionary France now divided between the moderate Feuillants and the radical Jacobins, particularly in regards to who has what. Well, it’s reasonably simple. The faction that possesses dominant influence is considered to be the “ruling faction” (this will largely be determined by how much power the head of state has, the powers of a parliament, and the popular support a faction possesses). Thus, for the sake of explanation, let us say the Feuillants are now the “ruling faction” having established a constitutional monarchy and possessing a strong degree of public support; they receive one Normal Order, all Colonial Orders, and determine France’s War Orders. The Royalists, having been weakened, receive only a Normal Order, whilst the Jacobins receive one Normal Order and their Revolutionary Order.

As can be imagined from the above example, many amongst the Jacobins may wish to set the policies of the nation, so they may use both their Normal Order and Revolutionary Order to bolster their support and undermine the Feuillants and Royalists; the latter two, for their part, may well be compelled to work together in the hopes of staving off this threat. Should they fail, it is likely a republic will be established and the monarchy overthrown (thereby eliminating, perhaps bloodily, the Royalists), whilst the political shape of France changes yet again, now into a fight between the remaining Feuillants and more conservative Jacobins, who would for the sake of this example form the Girondists, whilst the still more radical Jacobins would now be Montagnards.

Lastly, in regards to this factionalism, power can be reconsolidated into the hands of a single player in a number of ways. The most obvious example would be shoring up popular support whilst wiping out the more radical faction, thus removing the Revolutionary Order out of play and stabilising the situation to some degree; a Thermidorian Reaction of sorts, if you will.

It would also behove me to briefly bring up elections in the countries that have them; since there aren’t that many of them, and most all of them are mine, just send me details regarding the elections when the time comes; I’ll make a few rolls, screw you over a bit, and bish-bash-bosh a new government will be created or the old one will be returned.

-

Great Powers
Royalist France (Tyriet): 2* Regular Orders, 1 Colonial Order
Britain (Haresus): 3 Regular Orders, 2 Colonial Orders
Spain (DutchGuy): 3 Regular Orders, 3 Colonial Orders
Austria (Plutonium): 3 Regular Orders
Russia (Riccardo/Revan: 3 Regular Orders, 1 Colonial Order
Ottomans (Stormbringer): 3 Regular Orders
China (Sneakyflaps): 3 Regular Orders
Netherlands (Scrapknight): 3 Regular Orders, 3 Colonial Orders
Secondary Powers
Portugal (Naxhi): 2 Regular Orders, 3 Colonial Orders
Sardinia (Harpsichord): 2 Regular Orders
Naples (Aedan): 2 Regular Orders
Prussia (Etranger): 2 Regular Orders
United States (Mastahcheef): 2 Regular Orders
Sweden (Jacob): 2 Regular Orders
Denmark (Robespierre): 2 Regular Orders, 1 Colonial Order
Maratha (Baboush): 2 Regular Orders
Minor Nations
Tuscany (Luftwafer): 1 Regular Order
Switzerland (Bakerydog): 1 Regular Order
Venice (Jeeshadow): 1 Regular Order
Genoa (Barkades): 1 Regular Order
Durrani (Keinwyn): 1 Regular Order
Bavaria (Firelordsky): 1 Regular Order
Poland-Lithuania (Noco): 1 Regular Order
IC Nations
Malta (LatinKaiser)
Vermont (EasternBloc)
Revolutionary Factions
Revolutionary France (Shynka): 1* Regular Order, 1 Revolutionary Order

*Royalist France, due to being in a state of revolution possesses only two normal orders at the moment, the other being with the Revolutionaries.

Last edited:
The Nations of the World, 1789

Government: Absolute Monarchy
Leader: Louis XVI
Population: 27.823m
GDP: 29,298m
Infrastructure: (2/5) Good
Administration: (3/5) Poor
Income: 673m
Expenses: 901m
Balance: -230m
Treasury: -22,646m
Army: (5/5) Average quality
70.000 Soldiers, 15.000 cavalry and 1200 Artillery pieces
Navy: (3/5) Average quality
65 SotL, 62 Frigates, 72 sloops
Player: Tyriet/Shynka

Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Leader: George III, William Pitt the Younger
Population: 16.383 m
GDP: 24,585 m
Infrastructure: (2/5) good
Administration: (4/5) average
Income: 546 m
Expenses: 602 m
Balance: - 56 m
Treasury: -12,495 m
Army: (1/5) Average quality
32.000 soldiers, 8.000 cavalry and 650 artillery
Navy: (1/5) Excellent quality
82 SotL, 89 frigates, 92 sloops
Player: Haresus

Leader: Carlos IV
Population: 10.153 m
GDP: 8,884 m
Infrastructure: (2/5) Average
Income: 281 m
Expenses: 409 m
Balance: -128 m
Treasury: -3,631 m
Army: (4/5) poor quality
35.000 soldiers, 8.000 cavalry and 550 artillery
Navy: (4/5) Average quality
33 SotL, 38 frigates and 49 sloops
Player: DutchGuy

Government: Absolute monarchy
Leader: Josef II
Population: 23.032 m
GDP: 20,544 m
Infrastructure: (2/5) good
Administration: (3/5) Good
Income: 421 m
Expenses: 509 m
Balance: -87 m
Treasury: - 11,543 m
Army: (3/5) Average quality
78.000 Soldiers, 20.000 cavalry and 850 artillery
Navy: (3/5) Poor quality
0 SotL, 0 frigates and 15 sloops
Player: Plutonium

Leader: Yekaterina Velikaya
Population: 29.276 m
GDP: 19,878 m
Infrastructure: (2/5) Poor
Administration: (4/5) Poor
Income: 476 m
Expenses: 563 m
Balance: -87 m
Treasury: -9,542 m
Army: (2/5) Average quality
110.000 Soldiers, 25.000 cavalry and 700 artillery
Navy: (3/5) poor quality
23 SotL, 32 frigates, 48 sloops
Player: Revan

Leader: Selim III
Population: 22.354 m
GDP: 15,207 m
Infrastructure: (2/5) poor
Administration: (3/5) poor
Income: 348 m
Expenses: 441 m
Balance: -93 m
Treasury: -6,235 m
Army: (4/5) poor
80.000 soldiers, 24.000 cavalry and 450 artillery
Navy: (3/5) poor
0 SotL, 45 frigates and 110 sloops
Player: Storm

Leader: Qianlong Emperor
Population: 312.953 m
GDP: 187,773 m
Infrastructure: (1/5) average
Administration: (3/5) poor
Income: 3,099 m
Expenses: 3,327 m
Balance: -227 m
Treasury: 54,693 m
280.000 soldiers, 72.000 cavalry, 600 artillery
0 SotL, 60 frigates, 140 sloops
Player: Sneaky

Government: Noble Republic
Leader: Willem V
Population: 2.631 m
GDP: 4,403 m
Infrastructure: (2/5) Good
Administration: (4/5) poor
Income: 145 m
Expenses: 210 m
Balance: -65 m
Treasury: -1,953 m
35.000 soldiers, 9.500 cavalry and 350 artillery
Navy: (3/5) Average
34 SotL, 43 Frigates and 39 sloops
Player: Scrapknight

Leader: Maria
Population: 2.694 m
GDP: 2,358 m
Infrastructure: (4/5) poor
Administration: (1/5) average
Income: 77 m
Expenses: 101 m
Balance: -24 m
Treasury: -754 m
Army: (4/5) poor quality
12.000 Soldiers, 4000 cavalry and 275 artillery
Navy: (3/5) good
16 SotL, 19 frigates and 30 sloops
Player: Naxhi

Leader: Vittorio Amadeo III
Population: 2.816 m
GDP: 2,819 m
Administration: (3/5) Average
Income: 61 m
Expenses: 94 m
Balance: -32 m
Treasury: -1,354 m
Army: (2/5) Average quality
15.000 soldiers, 5000 cavalry and 175 artillery
Navy: (1/5) Average quality
0 SotL, 5 frigates, 15 sloops
Player: Harpsichord

Leader: Ferdinando IV
Population: 6.293
GDP: 6,765 m
Infrastructure: (3/5) Average
Income: 120 m
Expenses: 136 m
Balance: -16 m
Treasury: -2,542 m
20.000 soldiers, 6500 cavalry and 290 artillery
3 SotL, 10 Frigates, 23 sloops
Player: Aedan

Leader: Friedrich Wilhelm II
Population: 9.672 m
GDP: 8,898 m
Infrastructure: (4/5) Average
Administration: (1/5) Good
Income: 223m
Expenses: 243m
Balance: -20m
Treasury: -3425 m
Army: (4/5) Average
53.000 soldiers, 13.000 cavalry and 550 artillery
Navy: (1/5) Poor
0, SotL, 5 frigates and 15 sloops
Player: Etranger

Government: Constitutional Republic
Leader: George Washington
Population: 3.954 m
GDP: 4,583 m
Infrastructure: (3/5) Average
Income: 57 m
Expenses: 61 m
Balance: -4 m
Treasury: -429 m
Army: (2/5) average quality
1800 soldiers, 600 cavalry and 20 artillery
Navy: (1/5) good quality
0 SotL, 0 frigates and 20 sloops
Player: Cheef

Leader: Gustaf III
Population: 2.130 m
GDP: 2,108 m
Administration: (3/5) Average
Income: 61m
Expenses: 81 m
Balance: -20 m
Treasury: 954 m
Army: (2/5) Average
18.000 Soldiers, 4000 cavalry and 275 artillery
Navy: (1/5) Average
3 SotL, 8 frigates and 12 sloops
Player: Jacob

Leader: Christian VII
Population: 2.054 m
GDP: 2,075 m
Administration: (5/5) average
Income: 72m
Expenses: 101 m
Balance: -28m
Treasury: 754 m
Army: (2/5) average
14.000 soldiers, 3000 cavalry and 280 artillery
Navy: (3/5) good
14 SotL, 19 Frigates and 24 sloops
Player: Mikkel

Leader: Shahu II
Population: 84.865 m
GDP: 47,465 m
Infrastructure: (4/5) failling
Administration: (3/5) failling
Income: 686 m
Expenses: 1,069 m
Balance: -382 m
Treasury: -28,542 m
Army: (4/5) failling
150.000 soldiers, 46.000 cavalry and 460 artillery
Navy: (3/5) failling
0 SotL, 0 frigates and 86 sloops
Player: Baboush

Leader: Pietro Leopoldo I
Population: 1.106 m
GDP: 1,436 m
Infrastructure: (4/5) average
Administration: (1/5) good
Income: 23 m
Expenses: 46 m
Balance: -13 m
Treasury: -587 m
Army: (1/5) average
12.000 Soldiers, 3000 cavalry and 130 artillery
Navy: (2/5) poor
0 Sotl, 3 frigates, 12 sloops
Player: Luftwafer

Government: Confederation
Leader: None
Population: 1.517 m
GDP: 1,849 m
Infrastructure: (2/5) average
Administration: (2/5) Average
Income: 26 m
Expenses: 36 m
Balance: -10 m
Treasury: -530 m
Army: (2/5) Average
4000 soldiers, 1500 cavalry, 40 artillery
Navy: None
Player: Bakerydog

Government: Merchant Republic
Leader: Ludovico Manin
Population: 1.781 m
GDP: 2,754 m
Trade: 72 m
Administration: (2/5) Average
Income: 43 m
Expenses: 62 m
Balance: -19 m
Treasury: 1,355 m
Army:
Navy:
Player: Jeeshadow

Government: Merchant Republic
Leader: Rafaele de Ferrari
Population: 795 m
GDP: 1,246 m
Infrastructure: (3/5) average
Administration: (3/5) average
Income: 20 m
Expenses: 33 m
Balance -13 m
Treasury: -531 m
Army: (2/5) poor quality
2000 soldiers, 400 cavalry and 40 artillery
Navy: (3/5) poor quality
0 SotL, 13 frigates and 14 sloops
Player: Barkades

Leader: Timur Shah
Population: 13.683 m
GDP: 11,384 m
Infrastructure: (4/5) failling
Administration: (4/5) Failling
Income: 200 m
Expenses: 320 m
Balance: -120 m
Treasury: 6,542 m
Army: (2/5) poor
63.000 soldiers, 21.000 cavalry and 420 artillery
Player: Keinwyn

Leader: Karl Theodor
Population: 3.029 m
GDP: 3,864 m
Income: 70 m
Expenses: 92 m
Balance: -22 m
Treasury: 1,385 m
Army: (3/5) Average
25.000 soldiers, 6000 cavalry and 220 artillery
Navy:None
Player: Firelordsky

Government: Elective Monarchy
Leader: Stanislaw II August
Population: 6.354 m
GDP: 4,677 m
Infrastructure: (1/5) Average
Income: 94 m
Expenses: 129 m
Balance: -34 m
Treasury: -2,954 m
35.000 soldiers, 6000 cavalry and 200 artillery
Player: Noco

Last edited:
Storming the Bastille

ljCRYBq.jpg

The People's Vengeance After the Fall of the Bastille

Following the revolution in America, the Kingdom of France was heavily indebted; efforts by officials from the conclusion of that war onwards had been of little effect, and the King convened the Estates-General for the first time in living memory; the body was, however, held by the liberal intelligentsia as being backwards and unrepresentative of the people – the three estates the body contained were in truth skewed heavily in favour of the landed elite and the clergy, even with the expansion of the Third Estate, the body representing the overwhelming majority of Frenchmen. On 17 June, the Third Estate declared itself the National Assembly and began advocating a shift from absolutism to constitutional government; though opposed to the body and the notion of constitutionalism, the King was nevertheless compelled to acknowledge the Assembly 9 January, upon which the capital, which had been close to insurrection, became "intoxicated with liberty and enthusiasm.” Shortly thereafter, the citizens of Paris broke open the prisons of the Abbaye and released several prisoners, grenadiers who had purportedly refused to fire upon the populace; the Assembly proposed clemency for the men, and the King reluctantly agreed, a move which won over the grenadier regiment as a whole over to the popular movement, and won the sympathy of many of the poor in the army. Two days later, on 11 July, the King dismissed his Finance Minister, Jacques Necker, a sympathiser to the Third Estate and National Constituent Assembly, at the behest of his privy council; the following day, the news reached Parisians, who took the dismissal as the start of a conservative coup, which were made the more real by the movement of Royal troops to Versailles – many liberal Parisians feared that they would attempt to shut down the Assembly. Thousands gathered in crowds, more than ten-thousand at the Palais-Royale.Camille Desmoulins, a young lawyer and journalist, successfully rallied the crowd by mounting a table, pistol in hand, exclaiming: “Citizens, there is no time to lose; the dismissal of Necker is the knell of a Saint Bartholomew for patriots! This very night all the Swiss and German battalions will leave the Champ de Mars to massacre us all; one resource is left; to take arms!” Demonstrations were held, the masses displaying busts of Necker and of Louis Philippe II, Duke of Orléans, another liberal sympathiser. They marched from the Palais-Royale through the theatre district before ultimately clashing with the Royal German Cavalry Regiment between the Place Vendôme and the Tuileries Palace. From atop the Champs-Élysées, the Prince de Lambesc unleashed a cavalry charge which dispersed the remaining protesters at Place Louis XV—now Place de la Concorde. The Royal commander, Baron de Besenval, fearing the results of a blood bath amongst the poorly armed crowds or defections among his own men, then withdrew the cavalry towards Sèvres. Unrest was growing among the people of Paris who expressed their hostility against state authorities by attacking customs posts blamed for causing increased food and wine prices. The people of Paris started to plunder any place where food, guns and supplies could be hoarded.

As night fell, rumours spread that supplies were being hoarded at Saint-Lazare, a convent, hospital, school and jail under the control of the clergy. An angry mob broke in and plundered the property, seizing 52 wagons of wheat which were taken to the public market. That same day multitudes of people plundered many other places including weapon arsenals. The Royal troops did nothing to stop the spreading of social chaos in Paris, and many were regarding as being supporters of the rioters, in particular the French Guards who had remained confined to their barracks; they refused to stir even upon commanders form their officers, and the Prince de Lambesc, distrustful of them, posted sixty dragoons to maintain an eye upon the Guards, which merely incurred their ire.

By the thirteenth, royal authority had all but evaporated in central Paris, and a bourgeois militia arose across the city to take control of the increasingly wanton and chaotic situation. By the following morning, this militia had achieved control over the partisans, and early in the day had marched upon, and seized without heavy opposition, the Hôtel des Invalides; they had intended on seizing control of the weapons and munitions there – some 30,000 muskets were seized, but the commandant had quite wisely taken the precaution of transferring some 250 barrels of gunpowder to the Bastille some days earlier. Thus, the partisans turned their attention towards the formidable prison.

The Bastille Saint-Antoine, was built during the Hundred Years’ War to defend the eastern approach to Paris, and served as the centre or focal-point of many conflicts near the capital, notably during the struggles between the Burgundians and Armagnacs and during the Wars of Religion. First becoming a prison in 1417, a role which become doubly important during the English occupation, it transitioned under the Sun King into being the prison for unwieldy elites opposed to his regime, as well as for political dissidents; throughout the course of his reign, over two thousand individuals were imprisoned there, and several hundreds more were thrown away into its cells during the regency of Louis XV. Though after his reign had properly begun, the fortress gradually lost its importance as a prison, it nevertheless had garnered a reputation of sorts as being the symbol or royal power, and of royal oppression. This in part was due to its shift from being a simple prison and its transition to being a centre for Parisian politics, as well as its unique status as the king’s personal prison – prisoners could be imprisoned secretly, for longer, and without normal judicial processes being applied, making it a useful facility for the police authorities.

The Bastille, as the partisans advanced, was nearly empty, both of prisoners and of guards – of the former, there were but seven, and there were scarcely more than a hundred of the latter, and they were overwhelmingly invalides, elderly soldiers far past their prime. Some one-thousand Parisians advanced upon the gates of the Bastille, predominantly artisans and army deserters. Bernard-René de Launay, the governor of the fortress, and himself having been born in the Bastille, at first attempted to negotiate with the partisans, who had submitted definite demands – the surrender of the prison, the removal of the cannons, and the release of the arms and gunpowder – but as they dragged on for some time, such attempts failed. At 1:30, the crowd surged forth, and soon broke the chains of the drawbridge, which fell upon and crushed one of the partisans. The soldiers then fired, spontaneously, upon the mob as it rushed in and all attempts to settle the situation failed. For several hours the guards of the fortress fired upon the Parisians, until finally, when the Royal Army failed to relieve them, de Launay ordered a ceasefire at five o’clock; his terms were rejected, but recognising the impossibility of his situation – the garrison had limited food stocks and no water supply, he surrendered nonetheless at 5:30. During the struggle, ninety-eight attackers and one defender had died.

De Launay was seized and dragged to the Hôtel de Ville, facing abuse as he went, being battered, jeered, and humiliated. Outside of the Hôtel, after discussions over what his fate would be, the broken commander shouted "Enough! Let me die!" and kicked a pastry cook named Dulait in the groin. He was then stabbed repeatedly until slain; his head was then cut off and fixed atop a pike and paraded down the streets; three other officers of the Bastille were also murdered, whilst two of the invalids were lynched.

Upon their return to the Hôtel de Ville, the crowd accused the provost of Paris, Jacques de Flesselles of treachery; he would suffer the same fate as de Launay following a show trial at the Palais-Royale.

As the provost’s head is separated from his body, the city of Paris is under the complete control of the bourgeois militia, the army paralysed, and royal authority non-existent. The militia and their supporters soon began to solidify their control, with one hundred and forty-four delegates being appointed from amongst their ranks and thus tasked itself with administrating the city, from collecting taxes, providing services, and administering public works and projects. Jean-Sylvain Bailly, famous for his contributions to astronomy and his leadership of the Third Estate at the Estates General, was chosen to be their leader. The Commune of Paris was born, leaving one question: How will the King react to this latest usurpation of his powers?

Last edited:
640px-US_flag_13_stars_%E2%80%93_Betsy_Ross.svg.png

The United States of America
E pluribus unum

A proclamation to the assembled Congress, following the inauguration of President Washington.

Fellow-citizens of the Senate and of the House of Representatives:

Wherefore the various Electors of this Union of States have, in their constitutional duties, joined together to name the leader of that Union, I stand before you, humbled by that decision and filled with the most indescribable feelings of joy and tamed pride, by which only the sentiments of republican Brotherhood can ever express or be cherished. May that Almighty Being, who hath hewn the skies and the earth to His will, ever bless us with the beloved Liberties we have enjoyed since the day of our independence.

Of, perhaps, the greatest importance to this infantile Republic, is the proper management of the Federal government, and its joint maintenance, with the various States, of the national Constitution; to such an end, I shall, after due consideration, and, as mandated by section two, Article two of that Constitution, “appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for.” Those officers that should prove necessary for the base functions of the federal government shall, with my humble suggestion and your voiced approval or disapproval, be appointed to their respective offices. The executive department shall run with minimal expense and maximal efficiency.

As prescribed by this great Constitution, the executive shall, in working closely and amicably with the Congress, forge a responsible and altogether fitting national policy, that will rule over all Federal negotiations with the various foreign Powers; and this policy shall provide, chiefly, for the continued safety and prosperity of this Union and its people, and will put forward the welfare of the People of this Republic above all other Peoples. Of paramount importance to the executive and the Congress is, without a single question or doubt placed in public view, the maintenance of peace on the American continent, and, as one required subset of such a policy, the perpetual neutrality of this Republic.

The principles upon which the Constitution was forged, and this noble Republic founded, shall be tried to the fullest extent during the first years of the exercise of that national charter of Government. Now being, perhaps, the most fitting place to announce it, I have never, for one moment, hoped for the Office into which I have been thrust by the people of this Nation; nor have I, at any single point of my life, deemed myself worthy or capable, of holding such Office for any period of time whatever. Never have I thought myself worthy or proper to hold such a high Office; and neither am I now assured, even upon my entrance to such an Office, as to my infallibility in policy, or to the goodness of my character. Thus having been elected by the Electoral College and placed before you to-day, I cannot but be humbly moved by the confidence the People have placed in me, and their convictions, certainly stronger than all others in the political arena, as to my abilities to render the appropriate Services to this country; and, having been chosen to head the executive department, I am, thus appropriately, stolen to my duties and responsibilities, as a fellow-citizen, to service for my homeland. Through all the tribulations that may, in due time, take place during my administering to the duties of the Presidency, I shall firmly be convinced, until I leave this earth, of the goodness of the American people, and, in having dedicated the whole of my life in service to my country in the field and in the office, of the well-meaningness of my intentions. To you, I extend my utmost gratification for the warm benedictions and prayers I have received, that I am sure will last not only for the period of time that I shall sit in Office, but for the whole life of this Republic. It must be remembered, through all strife that come upon the Nation, that that which binds this blessed Union together from all the various States and Territories she may ever hold, is far stronger, and fittingly, more righteous than any other Force, from without or within, that could drive it apart.

Having thus imparted to you my sentiments as they have been awakened by the occasion which brings us together, I shall take my present leave; but not without resorting once more to the benign Parent of the Human Race in humble supplication that, since He has been pleased to favor the American People with opportunities for deliberating in perfect tranquillity, and dispositions for deciding with unparalleled unanimity on a form of government for the security of their union and the advancement of their happiness, it is the great Destiny of the Nation that untold happiness and good fortune shall be ours for all time.

I remain, as always, your most obedient servant:

320px-George_Washington_signature.svg.png

George Washington

Last edited:
188px-Flag_of_Spain_%281785-1873_and_1875-1931%29.svg.png

Reino de España

Plus Ultra (Further beyond)

Form of Government: Absolute Monarchy
Head of State: Charles IV de Bourbon
Capital: Madrid

-
Foreign Correspondence and Treaties

Internal Affairs

The Kingdom of Spain Anno 1789

Miscellaneous

85px-Lesser_Royal_Coat_of_Arms_of_Spain_%281700-1868_and_1834-1930%29_Pillars_of_Hercules_Variant.svg.png

((Viceroy for New Granada = Sithlent
Viceroy for New Spain = PotatoMan))

Last edited:
lmNt4Ew.png

Россійская Имперія
Rossiyskaya Imperiya

Съ нами Богъ
God With Us

Form of Government: Enlightened Despotism
Head of State: Yekaterina Velikaya
Capital: St Petersburg

-
Foreign Correspondence and Treaties
Stuff

Internal Affairs

Regarding the Year 1789
Stuffing

Miscellanea

Yekaterina Velikaya
More Stuff
DISdqdu.png

Last edited:
640px-Savoie_flag.svg.png

Standard of the House of Savoy

Regno di Sardegna
Royaume de Sardaigne

(Kingdom of Sardinia)
FERT

Monarch: Victor Amadeus III, King of Sardinia
Royal Court: Turin
Languages: (Primary) French, Italian (Secondary) Piedmontese, Savoyard, Niçard, Ligurian, Sardinian

Contemporary generation of the House of Savoy and their descendants
House of Savoy
Victor Amadeus III, King of Sardinia [1726-] m. Maria Antonia Ferdinanda [1729-1785]
Charles Emmanuel, Prince of Piedmont [1751-] m. Marie Clotilde [1759-]
Maria Elisabeth [1752-1753]
Maria Josephine, Countess of Provence [1753-] m. Louis Stanislas, Count of Provence [1755-]
Amadeus Alexander [1754-1755]
Maria Theresa, Countess of Artois [1756-] m. Charles Philippe [1757-]

Louis Antony, Duke of Angoulême [1775-]
Sophie d'Artois [1776-1783]
Charles Ferdinand, Duke of Berry [1778 -]
Marie Theresa d'Artois [1783-1783]
Maria Anna, Duchess of Chablais [1757-] m. Benedetto Maria [1741-]
Victor Emmanuel, Duke of Aosta [1759-] m. Maria Theresa [1773-]
Maria Cristina [1760-1768]
Maurice Joseph, Duke of Montferrat [1762-]
Maria Carolina, Electoral Princess of Saxony [1764-1782] m. Anthony, Electoral Prince of Saxony [1755-]
Charles Felix, Duke of Genevois [1765-]
Jospeh Benedetto, Count of Moriana [1766-]
Benedetto Maria, Duke of Chablais [1741-] m. Maria Anna [1757-]
Contemporary generation of the Cadet branches of the House of Savoy
House of Savoy-Carignano
Maria Luisa, Princess of Lamballa [1749-] m. Louis Alexandre [1747-1768]
Charles Emmanuel, Prince of Carignano [1770-]

Coats_of_arms_of_Savoy_House.jpg

Court of Arms of the House of Savoy

Last edited:
480px-Great_Seal_of_the_United_States_%28obverse%29.svg.png

E pluribus unum
(L. out of many, one)

A brief history of the Presidents of the United States:

President George Washington
i.o. 30 April 1789 -- ????
born 22 February 1732, died ???? (?? years old)
394px-Gilbert_Stuart_Williamstown_Portrait_of_George_Washington.jpg

Previous posts:
Delegate to the First Continental Congress (1774), Delegate to the Second Continental Congress (1775), Commander in Chief of the Continental Army (1775 -- 1783), President of the Constitutional Convention (1787)

----

Texts and relevant readings, 1789 -- ????
Presidency of George Washington
"A proclamation to the assembled Congress, following the inauguration of President Washington." by President George Washington.
"A message from the Minister from the United States, to the King of France regarding the events in Paris of 14 July. (tr. from French)" by United States Minister to France Thomas Jefferson.
"A message to the Senate, on the appointment of select Officers to assist the President in his Constitutional duties." by President George Washington.
"A letter to the President, on the current state of Affairs between the United States, the Indian Peoples beyond the Ohio River Valley, and the British soldiers stationed there." by Secretary of War Henry Knox.
"A Much-Needed Letter to the Detractors of the President." by Seneca.*
"A Letter to Seneca, Detailing the Tyrannical Abuses of Government and the Tendency Toward Monarchy." by Junius Brutus.*
"A brief missive from the President to the Governor General of the Canadas, regarding the Activities in the Ohio Country." by President George Washington.
"The first Report on the Public Credit, communicated to the House of Representatives." by Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton.

* Various political writers of this time used pseudonyms, usually drawn from Roman orators or writers, to disguise their identities.

The various Flags of the United States throughout history

320px-US_flag_13_stars_%E2%80%93_Betsy_Ross.svg.png

(thirteen stars, 1789 -- ????)

Last edited:
957px-Flag_Portugal_%281707%29.svg.png

Reino de Portugal e dos Algarves
Kingdom of Portugal and the Algarves

In Hoc Signo Vinces
In This Sign you Shall Conquer

Head of State: Dona Maria I "the Pious"
Head of Government: Luís Pinto de Sousa Coutinho.
Capital: Lisbon

Foreign Correspondence and Treaties:

Internal Affairs:

Colonial Affairs:
Brazil Info Post

Miscellaneous:
History of Portugal from 1755 to 1789
The Tragedy of John: Chapter I

Last edited:
640px-US_flag_13_stars_%E2%80%93_Betsy_Ross.svg.png

E pluribus unum
A message from the Minister from the United States, to the King of France regarding the events in Paris of 14 July. (tr. from French)

Your most esteemed Majesty,

I have had communicated to me, the news regarding the events in and around the Bastille on 14 July. I wish to express my deepest regrets at the loss of life as well as my sympathies to Your person, for having experienced the disturbances in the streets of Your city.

As Minister to France of the Government of the United States, it is my duty to express, that the United States wishes peace and Amity return among the peoples of France, and that the friendship among our two Nations shall ever be stronger as each day passes. The kindred spirit of the French and American peoples shall not soon be forgotten, nor should the eternal bonds of friendship, born in the memories of joint sufferings and conquests, be ever doubted.

I am, Your Majesty, your most loving and obedient servant,

320px-Thomas_Jefferson_Signature.svg.png

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited:
640px-Chor%C4%85giew_kr%C3%B3lewska_kr%C3%B3la_Zygmunta_III_Wazy.svg.png

Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania

Królestwo Polskie i Wielkie Księstwo Litewskie
Lenkijos Karalystė ir Lietuvos Didžioji Kunigaikštystė

Form of Government: Elective Monarchy
Head of State: Stanisław II August
Capital: Kraków and Vilnius
Legislature: General Sejm

243px-Coat_of_Arms_of_the_Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth.svg.png

History of the Commonwealth; 1789-Present

Reign of Stanisław II August (1789-????)
The Great Sejm; Beginnings

Last edited:
634px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png

Kongeriget Danmark-Norge

Form of Government: Absolute Monarchy
Head of State: King Christian VII
Regent: Crown-Prince Frederik

Foreign Correspondence, Treaties, Declarations, Misc.
Christian VII and Governance of Denmark-Norway

Last edited:
A History of Portugal from 1755 to 1789.

The crowing of Maria I as Queen of Portugal marked a pivotal moment in Portuguese history. Maria I was the first undisputed Queen regent of Portugal in its 600 year history. The House of Brazanga had ruled Portugal for centuries, and now with a female ruler at the helm, its direction is uncertain. In order to understand the nation that Maria I inherited from her father, one must go back to the year 1755, and the devastating earthquake that rocked Europe to its core. One must also understand the workings of one man, Sebastião de Melo, and his efforts to increase Portugal's standing in an enlightened world

On November 1st, 1755 (All Saints Day), at roughly 9:40 AM local time, a 9.0 magnitude earthquake rocked the Atlantic ocean roughly 200 km from the Cape of St. Vincent. The resulting earthquake only about five minutes, but the damage was obvious. The population fled to the open docks of the city, one of the few safe places to hide from the quake. As they stood their, the water receded. Forty minutes later, three massive waves engulfed Lisbon, with tsunami reports from other cities in Portugal. The tsunami and later fires in the city killed an estimated high of 100,000 people, making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history. Rebuilding efforts would take decades, and this event even spurred enlightenment thinking, for how can God punish a devoutly Catholic city like Lisbon?

The political machinations of the event were felt for twenty years. The Secretary of State, Sebastião de Melo, had always been hated for his non-aristocratic background by members of the old aristocratic family, for he was just a country squire with no nobility tied to him. When the earthquake hit the city, Melo simply stated "Bury the dead and heal the living". His efforts greatly aided in restoring the city of Lisbon and its population*. With his new found fame, the balance of power between himself and the old aristocracy shifted. In 1758, Melo had an entire Ducal family executed after it was revealed they were "plotting" to assassinate the King. During his tenure, Melo sought to replace Portugal's stagnant absolutism with an enlightened despotism and overhaul all aspects of economic, social and colonial policy to make Portugal a more efficient contender with the other great powers of Europe, and thus secure its own power status as a result. Impressed by the English economic success, which he had witnessed while serving as ambassador in London, he successfully implemented similar economic policies in Portugal. He was responsible for the abolition of slavery in continental Portugal and in Portuguese India in 1769, development of the port wine industry, and the end of discrimination against non-Catholic Christians in Portugal. He also reorganized the army and navy, bringing the total Portuguese military strength to around 90,000 troops. The reformed Portuguese army was put to the test in 1762 when Spain invaded aided by France, during the Seven Years' War. Britain invoked its alliance with Portugal and sent troops. Several months later, the conflict was settled with comparatively little fighting. In 1777, Spain and Portugal signed the Treaty of San Ildefonso, which mainly resolved a number of border disputes between their South American colonies.

During the Age of Enlightenment, Portugal was considered one of Europe's unenlightened backwaters; it was a country of three million with 200,000 people in 538 monasteries in 1750. Melo was deeply embarrassed by Portugal's much lamented backwardness. Having lived in two major centers of European enlightenment as his country's ambassador to both Vienna and London, he increasingly identified the Jesuits with their alleged doctrinaire grip on science and education as an inherent drag on an independent, Portuguese style illuminism. Especially in England, he came in contact with the anti-Jesuit tradition of that country and in Vienna he made friends with Gerhard van Swieten, a staunch adversary of the Austrian Jesuits and their influence. As prime minister Melo engaged the Jesuits in a dirty propaganda war, which was watched closely by the rest of Europe, and he launched some conspiracy theories about the order's desire for power. Many critics say that Melo helped lead to the Jesuits being abolished in 1773.

Further reforms were carried out in education. He created the basis for secular public primary and secondary schools, introduced vocational training, created hundreds of new teaching posts, added departments of mathematics and natural sciences to the University of Coimbra, and introduced new taxes to pay for these reforms.

But Melo's greatest reforms were economic and financial, with the creation of several companies and guilds to regulate every commercial activity. He demarcated the region for production of port, the first attempt to control wine quality and production in Europe. He ruled with a strong hand by imposing strict laws upon all classes of Portuguese society from the nobility to the working class, and through his widespread review of the country's tax system. These reforms gained him enemies in the upper classes, especially among the high nobility, who despised him as a social upstart. The reform of the wine industry in 1757 provoked riots that were suppressed with considerable bloodshed.

When Melo's King died in 1777, leaving Maria I as Queen, Melo ran into problems. The Queen and Melo did not like each other, and as such, this led to Melo's dismissal as Secretary of State, a position he held for over twenty years. Although the queen retained many of the Marquis' other ministers, she restored most of the privileges of the nobility and clergy, and released many of Melo's political prisoners. The economy was reorganized and Melo's monopolies were abandoned. However, international conditions favored the economic situation in Portugal as the balance of trade was positive, helped by wine exports and a decrease of British imports. The period was, while tainted by political instability, a time of cultural renovation, marked by the completion of the Palace at Queluz, the beginnings of the Ajuda Palace, the São Carlos Theatre, the Estrela Basilica and the immense Convent of Santa Clara in Vila do Conde. However, this did not help her mental condition. In 1786, Maria I was carried back to her apartments in a state of delirium. The Queen's mental state became worse off. When her husband died the same year, she forbaded court entertainment. When her son died in 1788, he condition devolved. This leaves Portugal watching a revolution taking place in a neighboring country, with a mad queen being the only thing holding the country together.

450px-Flag_of_the_Vermont_Republic.svg.png

Vermont Republic

The Vermont Republic has in founded among the seeds of the American Revolution in the spirit of independence, freedom, and unity of the state. The Green Mountain Boys, lead by Ethan Allen, were the leaders in this struggle for sovereignty, as they initiated intimidation campaigns to drive New York settlers and such out of the state. Vermonters' resentment of British aggression and authoritarianism and also land claims by states such as New York and New Hampshire had reached a boiling point, as in January 1777 delegates from 28 towns met to declare independence of the state of Vermont. On that day, the Vermont Constitution was established, abolishing adult slavery in their boundaries, extended suffrage to non-landowning males, and established free public education. It also created a Governorship, an executive council, a legislature, and courts of Justice across Vermont. A revised 1786 version of the constitution had provided for a greater separation of powers.

419px-VtConstitution.png

The Bestest Constitution in all of North America.

Vermont's first elected Governor under the constitution was Thomas Chittenden, a statesman and a supporter of Vermont's ascension to the Continental Congress. However, do to staunch opposition from New York, this was largely a futile attempt. In the outbreak of the Revolutionary War, Vermont's Green Mountain militia seized the opportunity by making a successful assault on Fort Ticonderoga. Major General Allen was praised by his victory, leading him to eventually be known as one of the founders of the State of Vermont.
In 1781, pressured by Indian and British raids, Vermont leaders became involved in what would be later known as the Haldimand Affair. Entering secret negotiations with British leaders about the possibility of the creation and protection of Vermont as a British province, however this came far too late as the war soon turned in favor of the United States, ultimately leading to their victory.

395px-ThomasChittenden.png

Governor Thomas Chittenden, first and possibly last Governor of Vermont

In 1789, still holding out between the gargantuan powers of both Britain and the United States, Vermont continues to remain a bastion of liberty, freedom, and sovereignty. But for how long?

((Answer is 1000 more years.))

k4N09Km.png

Form of government: Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy
Head of state: King George III
Head of government: Prime Minister William Pitt "the Younger"

Future IC and stuff:
On France, 1789

Notes: British exceptionalism grants us a larger flag than others. This might be resolved later. Also, this post is useless.

Last edited:
480px-Electoral_Standard_of_Bavaria_%281623-1806%29.svg.png

Kurfürstentum Bayern
Electorate of Bavaria

Current Head of State:
Charles Theodore,
by the Grace of God, Count Palatine of the Rhine, Duke of Upper Bavaria and Lower Bavaria, Archsteward and Elector of the Holy Roman Empire, Duke of Jülich, Cleves and Berg.
Multifarious Encyclicals, Proclamations, Correspondence, Reports, et cetera:

Last edited:
345px-Greater_Coat_of_Arms_of_Ferdinand_IV_of_Naples.svg.png
398px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Ferdinand_III_of_Sicily.svg.png

The Kingdoms of Naples and Sicily
King Ferdinand IV of Naples and III of Sicily

International Statements
N/A

Internal Affairs
N/A

Treaties
N/A

vl01Smu.png

The Durrani Emirate / Greater Afghan Empire
د درانیانو واکمني‎

By blood, we are immersed in love of you.
The youth lose their heads for your sake.
I come to you and my heart finds rest.
Away from you, grief clings to my heart like a snake.
I forget the throne of Delhi
when I remember the mountain tops of my Afghan land.
If I must choose between the world and you,
I shall not hesitate to claim your barren deserts as my own.

- Ahmad Shah Durrani, Love of a nation

Head of State: Timur Shah Durrani
Capital: Kabul

Histories:
The founding of the Durrani
The reign and ambition of Timur Shah

Last edited: