• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Seadd-Talan

Second Lieutenant
4 Badges
Mar 15, 2021
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
I recently started playing Stellaris on console after having stopped playing for a few years. (I previously played on PC, but my computer was too slow)
When I got the utopia DLC and I finally built a ring world, I was shocked to see only 5 districts on each section. Now, I understand that each of these district types produce a lot, but my problem with it is that I don’t need what they produce. The only thing I can use the ring world for that would help me is to increase my administrative capacity. Plus, having only 5 districts limits versatility. All my ring world sections are being built up identically because there is no reason to do anything different.
In the version I played years ago, ring worlds were like planets with 50 district capacity on each section (except that I don’t think districts were a thing at the time, I don’t remember exactly how the planets were laid out) and I was hoping to use them in that way because I got very unlucky with planets this play through. But I find that ring worlds only produce food, research, trade, I think consumer goods, maybe something else, but I don’t need any of that. Now if there were districts devoted to industry, producing alloys and strategic resources, that would be worthwhile, but make it 50 districts with smaller amounts.
Keep the food districts but reduce to say 2 times normal planet production instead of 120 food per district.
Merge the commercial and city districts, continue to call them city districts.
Keep the research districts and have them produce say 10 of each type per district (the amount could be less, I don’t know what would be balanced)
Then have an industry district, where each district produces maybe 5 alloys and 2 volatile motes, 2 exotic gasses, and 2 rare crystals. This would require a lot of mineral upkeep, but by the time you are building ring worlds you should have enough mineral production in your empire to manage the upkeep.
Any thoughts?

Reactions:
A Ringworld section is by far the most useful planet in the game. The issue here is you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by trying to use something that excels at making trade/energy/research, and using it to produce Admin Capacity. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
My point is that I don’t need any of what it produces. I am using it for admin capacity just because. What I want is for it to be useful for industry in some way.
To be clear, I have a science nexus and a dyson sphere, And all tech researched, so I don’t need energy or research points. Trade produces energy, don’t need that. Late game like this, you generally don’t need what the ring world produces.

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
"I don't need.... research points" is incorrect. Repeatable technologies can improve your economic output and your weapons (importantly), so you want to be improving them indefinitely.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Bruhhhhh. Just use your planets for admin cap and use your ring worlds for tech. Also, you can use ecumenopoli for all your alloys and consumer goods, and habitats for minerals and even some more tech. Tech is something you can never have too much of, so using a, quite frankly, even better than before ring world for something like admin cap is absurd to me

• 1Like
Reactions:
My point is that I don’t need any of what it produces. I am using it for admin capacity just because. What I want it for it to be useful for industry in some way.
To be clear, I have a science nexus and a dyson sphere, And all tech researched, so I don’t need energy or research points. Trade produces energy, don’t need that. Late game like this, you generally don’t need what the ring world produces.
Also for admin cap, you could use your even better tech from a ring world to research every repeatable in the game, including admin cap so you can convert your admin cap buildings to even more tech

• 2Like
Reactions:
I have a science nexus. I can research repeatable techs in around 20 months. Basically, there are other mega structures that can do everything a ring world can do. It needs to have more unique output options. Something you don’t seem to be understanding is, I don’t care about admin capacity. I simply mentioned that I am using the ring world for that because what other buildings could I construct on the ring world that would be useful to me? I intend to also build forges and strategic resource refineries in order to make the ring worlds produce what I need. All I am saying is that there should be a district section that produces alloys and strategic resources, because at this point in the game, that is all I really need. Sure more research is handy, but it isn’t needed. I just crushed two awakened empires within 5 years of each other. These awakened empires both had 7 fleets with 110,000 fleet power and one fleet with 150,000 fleet power, and they weren’t even that hard to take down. There is one more fallen empire, and I will crush them soon. No other empire in the game is a threat to me. More tech is helpful but not important. What is important is resources to allow me to build more fleets for the end game crisis, which I have never reached before due to game crashing, but now that I have the settings figured out, I probably will get to the end game.
P.S. I don’t have the DLC that lets me make ecumenopoli. I have Fen Habbanis, which is useful, but the more alloys the better.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It sounds like what you really want is an Ecumenopolis. They have industrial and foundry districts. I don't know if you can get one with just Utopia. Prior to the last expansion you could get one from one of the precursors, or take one off a Fallen Empire, but I don't know if they were available with just Utopia. I think it was Megacorp that added the ability to build them, but not certain.

I found the lack of minerals on ring worlds to be a challenge prior to Megacorp. With the Matter Decompressor, it's not as much of an issue. Also, mining districts can now be built on some habitats, so that also helps.

Ring worlds are great for research and energy. You always need more reasearch. If you don't need more energy, build up your fleet until you do.

It sounds like what you really want is an Ecumenopolis. They have industrial and foundry districts. I don't know if you can get one with just Utopia. Prior to the last expansion you could get one from one of the precursors, or take one off a Fallen Empire, but I don't know if they were available with just Utopia. I think it was Megacorp that added the ability to build them, but not certain.

I found the lack of minerals on ring worlds to be a challenge prior to Megacorp. With the Matter Decompressor, it's not as much of an issue. Also, mining districts can now be built on some habitats, so that also helps.

Ring worlds are great for research and energy. You always need more reasearch. If you don't need more energy, build up your fleet until you do.
I’m producing 5000 energy, and sure I could use a couple more fleets for the end game crisis, no idea how many I will need really, but I won’t even make a dent in my energy production with more fleets.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Here is another idea, perhaps we should have an option as to what the focus of a segment will be. When we go to finish a segment, we choose from a few options.

Commerce segment:
City districts like normal
Commerce districts like normal
Energy districts
Food districts

Research segment
Research districts like normal
Some other type of district, open for suggestions
Food districts

Industry segment:
Foundry districts (alloys)
Refinery districts (motes, crystals, gases)
Food districts

Also, there should be more than five massive districts. Think about what a ring world is. Let’s use our own solar system for an example. Earth orbits the sun inside the habitable zone. It’s orbital path is about 584 million miles in circumference. A ring world on the orbital path of Earth would be 584 million miles in circumference. Not sure how tall the ring world is, but if we figure it is at least as tall as the earth is, that is a lot of space. Each section of the ring world would be 146 million miles long. You don’t “organize” something that large into 5 massive districts. It would need to be broken down into many smaller districts. This in the game would allow for more variation in what you build on the ring world and of course the districts would not be as productive as they are with the current system.
What do you think?

So I took another ring look at the revamped ring worlds. The commercial district produces artisan jobs, clerks, and merchants, but no foundry. I never really looked at it, I thought they were still generator districts. Maybe adding a few foundry jobs wouldn't be out of line.

I don't know how I feel about the massive district size. It makes things harder to manage. It does give ring worlds a different feel than other worlds, so maybe its more fun? I haven't decided.

What you are asking for makes logical sense, but I think from a game design point of view, ring worlds shouldn't be able to replace an ecumenopolis. I like the idea of a refinery district, since they are not available elsewhere, but it would have to balanced. Maybe even the ability to produce a small amount of nanites?

5k energy is pretty good. I don't usually have that much excess energy. I run Consumer Benefits trade policy, but I'm not sure that is the reason. I don't know how many fleets you can support with that, but if the end game is too easy, you can always crank up the difficulty. If it is still too easy, you might try playing on PC (if that is an option for you) where you can crank it all the way up to 25X.

So I took another ring look at the revamped ring worlds. The commercial district produces artisan jobs, clerks, and merchants, but no foundry. I never really looked at it, I thought they were still generator districts. Maybe adding a few foundry jobs wouldn't be out of line.

I don't know how I feel about the massive district size. It makes things harder to manage. It does give ring worlds a different feel than other worlds, so maybe its more fun? I haven't decided.

What you are asking for makes logical sense, but I think from a game design point of view, ring worlds shouldn't be able to replace an ecumenopolis. I like the idea of a refinery district, since they are not available elsewhere, but it would have to balanced. Maybe even the ability to produce a small amount of nanites?

5k energy is pretty good. I don't usually have that much excess energy. I run Consumer Benefits trade policy, but I'm not sure that is the reason. I don't know how many fleets you can support with that, but if the end game is too easy, you can always crank up the difficulty. If it is still too easy, you might try playing on PC (if that is an option for you) where you can crank it all the way up to 25X.
Good points. As for the districts, it wouldn’t be any more difficult to manage than having more planets. And the ring worlds should be more interesting to manage. Right now, it’s just build it, colonize it, build five districts and forget about it until it grows.
Besides, with more districts you could tailor each ring world section to meet specific needs a little better. I don’t like having planets producing only one thing, so say we had 50 districts. I would have 4 food on each section. Then I would have one section producing mostly trade and consumer goods but still have a few industry and science districts. Then I would have one section mostly producing research but still have city and industry districts. Then I would have two sections producing mostly alloys and strategic resources, but still have some city and research districts.
As far as ecumenopolis go, I see your point about replacing them with ring worlds being a problem. I tend to forget they exist because I began playing before they existed and I still don’t have that DLC. However, given the cost in time and resources to build a ring world, I don’t think they would replace ecumenopolis, because you won’t be building many ring worlds, more like they would just give that much extra towards the mid to late game. Not sure when you get access to ecumenopolis, but it’s probably before ring worlds right? I’m going to look into it to see how they work.