• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8351)

Paul Bäumer's gravedigger
Mar 22, 2002
During this period DESPITE a massive reduction in the actual number of people doing raw material extraction the ammount of stuff extracted skyrocketed. This is not reflected in the game...Even with all the technology and railrodas, the net ammount of production decreases (particularly of agricultural RGOs). This is because most POPs are sent to industrial work (probably too many by historic standards). It might be useful to look at the net modifiers for RGO production (I think coal ends up around +300% while grain only is around +75%).

Raw commodidty prices fell throughout the period in spite of fast growing demand because of an even faster growing supply.

Just some thoughts...I'll look into those modifiers :)

C.N. said:
How about removing random economic event 23003, Retractive Force in Agriculture?
No, but it and its counterpart ought to have a minor offsetting aspect so that the events are not as severe in either way.

Is just the case to increase the bonus given by techs and inventions, lets say by an additional 5% or 10%.

This is the total increase in efficency from all techs and inventions for each good type. Types with no bonus like oil RGOs or DYE factorys are not listed.

these do not include a 30% bonus from lighting and gaslighting and a 50% bonus from railroads...obviously there are some descrepancies...

coal 150
sulfur 20
iron 40
metal 25
wool 20
cotton 20
silk 20
fabric 20
timber 20
trop 20
grain 24
lumber 10
cattle 20
clipper 10
glass 10
ammo 15
arms 15
machine 15
canned 10
liquor 15
furn 10
luxfurn 10
fish 60
oil 10
steam 10
coffee 24
tea 24
opium 24
auto 5
aero 5
art 5
explo 15
fruit 14
wine 15
steel 20
cotton 4
dye 4
tobacco 4
paper 20
rubber 10

Becephalus said:
This is the total increase in efficency from all techs and inventions for each good type. Types with no bonus like oil RGOs or DYE factorys are not listed.

these do not include a 30% bonus from lighting and gaslighting and a 50% bonus from railroads...obviously there are some descrepancies...

Those sure need some balance, and with the end of the pop_cash BUG, someprices will increase a lot, making the increase in efficiency necessary to reduce the marginal profit.

pimparel said:
Those sure need some balance, and with the end of the pop_cash BUG, someprices will increase a lot, making the increase in efficiency necessary to reduce the marginal profit.
please, i know it is not easy, but don't base your work over a bug, it will not be here in the next patch. ;)

Generalisimo said:
please, i know it is not easy, but don't base your work over a bug, it will not be here in the next patch. ;)

Sorry, Gen. but I used the future in the phrase, 'will', stating that this is a thing that we will have to look into.

Cause per example some products only have 4% increase where others have 150%, I know that some products had more improvements than others, but this gap is huge.

But as I said, this thing is a future thing.

pimparel said:
Sorry, Gen. but I used the future in the phrase, 'will', stating that this is a thing that we will have to look into.

Cause per example some products only have 4% increase where others have 150%, I know that some products had more improvements than others, but this gap is huge.

But as I said, this thing is a future thing.
well, the only one is coal. ;)
and i am sure that's why we are not seeing a shortage of coal in game. :D

As a base rule, we cannot increase the efficiency of the factory more than th increase of the input.

Which is the case of paper/lumber, glass/wine, glass/liquor.

And it seems that fertilizer is missing, this is why there is no explosive in the game.

pimparel said:
As a base rule, we cannot increase the efficiency of the factory more than th increase of the input.

Which is the case of paper/lumber, glass/wine, glass/liquor.
well, that's not always true, if there are a lot of producers of glass/lumber there will be no problem with these numbers... ;)

I realise this would take a lot of balancing but I would suggest drastically increasing the bonuses from tech for most RGOs to be on a par with those for grain and fish. As I keep trying to say this period saw an explosion in the quantity of RGO style goods production not a decrease or tiny increase as is currently prevalent.

Indeed, in many cases, the output of raw materials in many countries was higher than the output of manufactured goods, especially in many Eastern European countries like Russia and Romania, where the majority of the budget came from raw materials like grain and timber.

I find that some materials get really scarce when you get to a really developed stage.

I mean, I tend to make a level more for fabric factories than for clothes and the same goes for lumber and furniture/paper. The problem is that specificaly for lumber, I´m allways really short for it. Seems like the modifiers should give a bigger bonus.

The same goes for ammo production; it´s allways really scarce.

Vacceo said:
I find that some materials get really scarce when you get to a really developed stage.

I mean, I tend to make a level more for fabric factories than for clothes and the same goes for lumber and furniture/paper. The problem is that specificaly for lumber, I´m allways really short for it. Seems like the modifiers should give a bigger bonus.

lumber is industrial, do you mean timber?

Can check though if perhaps lumber could use a bit of a nudge further up in productivity.

Of course, it's a good excuse to colonize for timber areas - many African colonies are good timber sources.

No, no; I ment the processed wood: lumber; the one with the planks and the axe icon. :p

When I play with countries like USA or Russia which do not have any problem on producing massive quantities or raw wood, I have to wait to have looooots or expend looooots the sawmills to cope with furniture and paper factories. It´s logical to have bigger sawmills but soooo big...

Has anyone made a mod that reflects actual historical resources that
were used in building? Like to build a clipper ship would take lumber,
iron, cloth, rope (hemp) instead of some dumb thing like clipper convoys.
To create a infantry division would take reg clothers for one (uniforms)
and horses to create cavaly or dragoons (not wine). This is all in the
history books and doesn't take rocket science to get it right....

JIM

FAdmiral1 said:
Has anyone made a mod that reflects actual historical resources that
were used in building? Like to build a clipper ship would take lumber,
iron, cloth, rope (hemp) instead of some dumb thing like clipper convoys.
To create a infantry division would take reg clothers for one (uniforms)
and horses to create cavaly or dragoons (not wine). This is all in the
history books and doesn't take rocket science to get it right....

JIM

of course one does not really need to focus on the military end of things to "get it right" for this game, since the military element is not the most important - one can say the needs for factory construction should be expanded on further to better reflect both what would be needed to construct factories AND keep factories operational. Where are the chemicals that would be needed to process steel into the frames for automobiles, airplanes, or make the plastic elements for radios, just for one example.

I know of no mods that do what you would like, and it would require some changing of the current resources since horses and rope/hemp are not current active resources in game. It could be done, but would require a good amount of tweaking, unlike EU3 where you can just add in new resources, the game engine for Victoria is much less moddable in these things.