• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jul 31, 2018
Hey guys!

This is actually my third thread about improvement on the Caucasus. From my second thread, I actually got a lot of feedback that I didn't propose "enough" provinces to represent the violent region. I try to improve on this, my last two threads I mainly focuses on Circassia, which is my favorite nation. However, I do things differently this time.

I expanded my suggestion to touch the southern states of Caucasus and a little of East Anatolia. I also try to focus on map changes instead of detailed suggestion like ideas and missions. So without further ado:

My Proposal
mlIh5ZN.jpg

North Caucasus:
I split the existing Circassia nation into 9 provinces and 7 nations:
  1. Tribe of Shapsugs (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Tuapse Province (1/1/1)
    • Circassia Culture
    • Animist Religion
    • Historical Rival of Abazin
  2. Tribe of Zichia (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Adyghe Province (1/1/1)
    • Circassia Culture
    • Orthodox Religion
    • Have a core on Martega (Genoa)
    • Modified the size a bit to cut Adyghe from Crimea Khanate
  3. Tribe of Abazin (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Abazin Province (1/1/1)
    • Circassia Culture
    • Animist Religion
    • Historical Rival of Shapsugs
    • Have a core on Tuapse
  4. Tribe of Karachay (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Karachay Province (1/1/1)
    • Turkic Culture
    • Sunni Religion
    • Historical Friend of Balkaria
    • Vassal of Kabardia
  5. Tribe of Balkaria (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Balkaria Province (1/1/1)
    • Turkic Culture
    • Sunni Religion
    • Historical Friend of Karachay
    • Vassal of Kabardia
  6. Tribe of Alania (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Alania Province (1/1/1)
    • Alania Culture *New
    • Orthodox Religion
    • Vassal of Kabardia
  7. Duchy of Kabardia (Despotic Monarchy)
    • Province List (Clockwise):
    • Temirgoy Province (2/3/2)
    • Besleney Province (1/2/1)
    • Kabardia Province (1/1/2) *Capital
    • Vassal: Karachay, Balkaria & Alania - as historical records that those three tribes exclusively do trades to Kabardia
    • Could start as tributary of Great Horde

East Caucasus:
I split the existing Dagestan province into Dagestan Province (Landlocked) and Derbent (Coastal)
Khunzia and Terek also splitted into Terek, Khunzakh, Vainakh and Avaria.
I actually suggested to change "Dagestani" culture to "Avars" culture but it's not that important
The nations are:

1. Duchy of Gazikumukh
    • Start with Tarki and Lakia, provinces development buffed to maintain vassal
    • Culture and Religion doesn't change
    • Have Avaria and Karakaitag (Dagestan) as Vassal
    • Could start as tributary of Great Horde
  2. Duchy of Avaria
    • As existing
  3. Tribe of Karakaitag (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Dagestan Province (1/1/2)
    • Vassal of Gazikumukh
  4. Duchy of Shirvan
    • Derbent province should have boosted development as it was very compact and Islamic center of learning in northern Caucasus (2/3/2) is my suggestion. Also to make up the loss of Shaki
  5. Duchy of Shaki
    • As existing
    • Independent
  6. Tribe of Dido (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Dido Province (1/1/1)
    • Dagestani Culture
    • Sunni Religion
    • Independent

South Caucasus:

1. Trebizond
    • Split into two provinces: Trebizond (as existing) and Lezgia (2/1/1) - The eastern one
    • Lezgia will have accepted Georgian culture
    • Actualy, I think both should have Georgian culture. As Trebizond was often nicknamed :principality of Lezgians"
    • Both Provinces are Orthodox
    • Should have historical friend modifier to Kara Koyunlu
    • Modified the provinces to cut off Trezibond from Ottoman, this is based on Historical record when Ottoman had to subjugated Candar to get access to Trebizond (Source: Siege of Trebizond)
  2. Georgia
    • I proposed Georgia to be united at the start, but the west and southern province to be occupied by rebels. This is because the breakup of Georgia happened in 1445. The details will be on revolter spoiler
    • Add new provinces of Sveneti
    • Buff development of Imereti
    • Changed the culture of Abkhazia to Circassia
  3. Candar and Canik
    • Modified Sinop and Canik provinces shape as pictured
    • Added independent Beylik of Canik - which in historical are 5 smaller beyliks loyal to Eretna, 1 on them which is Beylik of Bafra made it through 1440s)
    • Beylik of Canik could start as historical friend or vassal of Candar

Revolter:
eoqljRJ.jpg

1. Add "Assyrian" core at A1, A2 and A3
    • Change A1 (Mardin) culture to Assyrian
    • Add new A2 province (Nineveh/Hakkari) from Arbil
    • Assign Assyrian culture to A2
    • Change A3 (Urmia) culture to Assyrian
    • Give them all Coptic religion
    • Give them all Assyrian core which give claims to all Mesopotamia
  2. Add Beylik of "Erzincan" core to B (Erzincan) province. The beylik was annexed on 1430s, they should retained the core 15 years later
  3. Occupy C1 and C2 provinces with Samsthke rebels at the start of the game (maybe progress 75% so they would break free in less than 1 year)
  4. Occupy E, F, G, H and J provinces with Imereti rebels at the start of the game (maybe progress also on 75%)
    • Upon independence, they will split into: (Could be event)
    • Principality of Guria (E Province)
    • Kingdom of Imereti (F Province)
    • Principality of Sveneti (G province)
    • Principality of Mingrelia (H province)
    • Imereti's rebelious vassal Principality of Abkhazia (J Province)
  5. Add "Lezgia" core to D (Lezgia) province
  6. I'd spare Georgia from Kartli and Kakethi cores :p

Formable:
DerRlPV.jpg

1. Kingdom of Circassia
    • Unite all Circassian provinces culture except for Abkhazia
  2. Caucasus Imamate
    • Unite Dagestan, Lakia, Avaria, Dido and Vainakh provinces

What do you guys think?
I'm obviously not an expert, so feel free to discuss.

Are there any ways to represent these communities as they are on euratlas maps?

Karachays
Kabards
Lezgians
Khunzal
Durdzuks

in a normal game there is no chance for one provincial culture, which is sad

Can you also add these 2 as releasables?

10. Elisu: (releasable or formable after 1600s)
The history of the Sultanate begins north of the mountains in the upper reaches of the Samur River (Rutulsky District) with the Tsakhur people – a western branch of the Lezgians. They formed Tsakhur Khanate and paid tribute to the Gazikumukh Shamkhalate. In the 15th century the Tsakhurs began moving to south over the mountain crest toward the Alazani River. They settled in the province of Hereti of Kakheti kingdom. In the early 17th century, Shah Abbas I of Persia took these lands from the king of Kakheti and granted them to the Dagestani feudal clans who enjoyed a degree of autonomy (Djar-Beylakan society, the sultanate of Ilisu). the area was an 'ulka' of the Shirvan Khanate. The rulers were also vassals of Persia and sometimes Ottoman Empire, depending on the relative power of each. At the beginning of the 18th century the capital moved south from the town of Tsakhur to İlisu and we now hear of the Elisu Sultanate. The Elisu Dynasty belonged to the Sunni Muslim denomination of Islam. The first ruler from was Sultan Adi Korklu Bey, who established the Elisu Sultante on March 8, 1563. He was of Turkish People

11. Tabasaran (releasable after 1642)
The Tabasaran Principality or Principality of Tabasaran was an independent monarchic state in southern Dagestan, existing from 1642 until the later 19th century. It emerged as one of many smaller states from the disintegration of the Shamkhalate of Gazikumukh in 1642. It was located in the Samur river valley, roughly coinciding with the region in which the Tabasaran people still reside today. Its location close to the main road between Derbent and Shirvan gave it some strategic importance.
I can add them but I need flags for these countries. and websites about them if you can?
Do you have a flag for Canik?

http://kazak-sv.ru/index.php/o-kazachestve/istoriya
Recently I found an interesting material on the origin of the Ukrainian Cossacks and decided to share it with you.
One of its first outlined in the XVIII century. G.Z. Bayer, who wrote that the Cossacks "were revered by all for a brave and strong people," and such a people could not come from "thieves" and "robbers", of which, as stated in a number of documents of the XVI-XVII centuries., Cossacks originated. Therefore, he declared the existence of the Cossacks as early as the 10th century, referring to Constantine Porphyrogenitus, who noted that the Cossacks “in 948. lived in present-day Kabarda, where they were brought from the Grand Duke Mstislav to Russian citizenship ”; later on, these Cossacks accepted the runaway "Rossians, Poles, and others." So for the first time in Russian historiography, the idea of an ancient, and not Russian, Cossack origin was expressed.
It was developed by V.N. Tatishchev, who believed that the Don Cossacks were partially descended from the Meshcher Cossacks transferred to Don under Ivan IV, and partly from the Cossacks who came to the Don with Prince M. Vishnevetsky to fight the Turks advancing on Astrakhan; they settled on the Don, where they "built the city of Cherkasy." The Cossacks themselves are descendants of the Cherkass from Beshtau, who settled in 1282 near Kursk, and then transferred to the Dnieper and built the city of Cherkasy. The similarity of the names: Cherkassk, Cherkasy (city), Cherkasy (Zaporozhtsy) and Circassians gave the foundation to V.N. Tatishchev to associate the origin of the Don Cossacks with the Caucasus. As for the Cossacks on the Terek, they, according to Tatishchev, were descended from a group of Don Cossacks who had raided the Volga.
The author of the Caucasian Manuscript, I. Blaramberg, referring to the archives of the Foreign Affairs Collegium, describes one version of the origin of the Cossacks: “In 1282, Khan Baskak brought Circassians from the Pyatigorsk region and Beshtau to Kursk and settled them there, calling them Cossacks. Then they were driven from there and part of the Circassians moved and settled in the lower reaches of the Dnieper, where they built a settlement Cherkassk. Then they substantiated the predatory territory there, which later became known as the Zaporizhzhya Sich. ”
The document of 1352 states that the Lithuanian prince Gedemin, having conquered Cafu and Perekop, led the Circassians with their princess and settled them on the r. Sniporid (tributary of the Sula) and founded the city of Cherkasy there. Later, Gedemin also populated the Circassians and the area of the town of Kaniv.
However, according to historians Boltin and Tatishchev, back in the XIV century. Kursk Bask Akhmat called allegedly one part of Cherkasy from Beshtau mountain (Pyatigorye; in Adyghe it was called Bgiytxw “Five Mountains”; in Tatar - Beshtau, because of the mountain with five peaks), and these Cherkasy built on the Dnieper a city named after name, - Cherkasy.
The version of the genesis of the Cossacks and the mention of the same Baskak can be found in the previously published book of S. Bogush, “The Story of Tavria”, published in 1806. Having described the story of how Baskak brought the Circassians from Pyatigorye and Beshtau, the author continued: “The Kaniv governor allowed they (Circassians) settle on the Dnieper banks. Here they built a village, which they called Cherkassky, in the name of their ancient fatherland. ” N. Karamzin expressed the same thoughts: “They lured (the Circassians) to themselves many Russians who had fled from oppression, mixed with them and, under the name of the Cossacks, constituted one people”.
George Vernadsky considered possible the Kasozh-Circassian version of the origin of the Cossacks: “This word (i.e. Kozak, Cossack, - OG) comes from the ethnic name of Kaz, the ancient North Caucasian people, now known as Adygei or Circassians. The last name in its original form sounded like Chakhar-Kaz, which means “four clans of Kaz”.
In the above presentation of G. Vernadsky, the Circassian communities in the Dnieper region were formed as a result of bringing them into the service, first by the Russian princes, then by the Mongolian dynasties. This has a direct confirmation in the materials of the Russian chronicles. Probably, the lands traditional for the settlement of the allies of Russia were taken for them.
In the Moscow documents of the XVI and XVII centuries, Cherkasy called both Cherkess and Ukrainian Cossacks. As for the latter, this name apparently came from the city of Cherkasy on the Dnieper River to the south of Kiev, and that, in turn, was one of the centers of the Dnieper-Cossack region. Probably, the city of Cherkasy was originally a Circassian settlement. It is necessary to take into account the formation in a similar way of the name of the city of Iasi (in Romanian Jasi, Old Russian Iasi Torg), the old capital of Moldova, which was originally founded by the Alans. According to the old Russian, “Yasy” meant “Alans”. The Cherkess settlement in the Cherkasy region was probably founded in the 11th century, if not earlier.
V. Gatzuk, Ukrainian scholar of the early XX century, demonstrates the Circassian origin of the Zaporozhye Cossacks in a completely categorical colours: "... the City of Kanev, Cherkasy, Chyhyryn was founded and is inhabited by Kasogs, and all of the rural, hamlet, settlement on both banks of the Dnieper South of Kiev then consisted of Kasogs. Dnieper Kasogi lived in peace with the indigenous population - with the Slavs-Glades. Protecting yourself and them (the Meadow was a peaceful, agrarian tribe) from formidable enemies of the Mongols, all approaching from the East in the following centuries, brave Kasogi “watered with their blood the Dnieper shore”;... and maybe, their courage and military exposure, which they are, tenacious between the Meadows, and gave to them, must largely the West that thread Mongolian did not spread further Bank of the Dnieper. The common danger connects people. Little by little Kasogi Circassians merged with the Glades and formed, together with them, the so-called little Russian tribe. From them, the present little Russians received those features that distinguish the pure little Russian type from the great Russians – the dark color of hair and eyes, delicate facial features. The Circassians gave Malorussian their love of liberty, hatred of the so-called “slavery”... they are also borrowed Malorussy and the General nature of the clothing, home environment, still their weapons... If you listen to how modern Kabardians sing their heroic song and epic, affinity Circassian tribe with little it turns out especially clearly: the same size and the rhythm of poetry, the same rhyming and takiya same of rising and falling voices, what we hear in the little-Russian people's “thoughts”. Even the Circassians gave their name to the little Russian tribe: before the reign of Emperor Alexander the 1st - when the Caucasian Circassians, who did not want to voluntarily submit, were declared "enemies of Russia" – not only the Russian people, but also official papers called the little Russians Circassians".
As a result of cross-breeding and complementarity with the local Turks, North Caucasians and the Slavs originated in the XV century subgroup of the Ukrainian Cossacks – "Cherkasy".
Numerous cultural and linguistic facts testify to the mestizo character of the Cossacks. You can read about them in this article: the Origin of Ukrainian surnames and other Adyghe etymologies
Cultural and etymological Parallels
Don Cossacks, from the first mention of them, considered themselves descendants of Circassians. Circassians also think of the Cossacks as its related people. Lifestyle United, wear the uniform, the people of the war, many common words, Circassians and Cossacks shipileva. The language became different for many reasons (mixed with Tatars, Slavs).
Zaporizhzhya Sich is formed by Circassians, they are genetic (Circassians and Cossacks) one people.
A tuft of hair on the head. Had a special importance among the Circassians. Circassians, who died in the battles of their compatriots, were taken from the battlefield and buried in their homeland. If it was not possible to take the body, took the head and buried only the head. Heads were connected by the left bunches of hair and when it was gathered to 10 heads, one of soldiers sent home for burials. To keep the tribesmen on the battlefield was considered a great shame. To allocate a bunch of hair on the head perinata them from the Hutts (the ancestors of the Circassians). The word Cossack trying to translate between languages, and Tatar and Persian, etc.
A COSSACK from Circassian means one son. When called to war, the Circassians were released one of his sons, called them KAZAK (kyuusoku). If there was only one son in the family, he was not called to war. In Russian to say except as a COSSACK will not work.
http://www.adygi.ru/index.php?newsid=483
At first, the Cossacks were formed as paramilitary troops in the Golden Horde of the Kipchak-Slavic mestizos of the “Brodniki (Mens of Ford)” Christians (who were previously in client relations with the Cumans) to guard one of the main ports of the Golden Horde, Azak (Tana, now Azov), income from which went to the contents of the personal guard of the Great Khan "Keshik / Keshig", consisting of Nestorian Christians and constituting the four Durban tribes.

In 1395, when the city of Azak was taken by Timur, all the captured Christians were released (unlike the Muslim prisoners), and it was this year that the word “Cossack” - “liberated, free person” was first mentioned in the Great Lithuanian Principality. . Part of the "Cossacks" was transferred to the service of Lithuania, part - in the Italian colonies in the Crimea.

The document of 1552 states that the Lithuanian prince Gedemin, having conquered Cafu and Perekop, led the Circassians with their princess and settled them on the r. Sniporid (a tributary of the Sula river) and founded the city of Cherkasy there (the name derives from the designation of service people in the Golden Horde from the North Caucasian tribes - "charms-kisi" - "army people"). Later, Gedemin also populated the Circassians and the area of the town of Kaniv. Due to the metatation and the complementarity with the local Turks and Slavs, it appeared in the XV century. subgroup of Ukrainian Cossacks - "Cherkasy".

Numerous cultural and linguistic facts testify to the mesic character of the Cossacks. For example, the ending "-ko" in the Ukrainian Cossack surnames (unknown in Central, Northern and Western Ukraine) comes from the Circassian "-cho" - "son". Also the Circassian is considered the surname Shevchenko (from adyg. "Sheujen" - "Christian priest"), which was the generic nickname of the grandfather of the Ukrainian writer Taras Grushivsky (Taras Shevchenko).

Pyatigorsk (Cherkassy five mountains) Cherkassy - The collective name of the Eastern Circassians — Kabardians, some time was common along with Kabardian Cherkas, Kabaiterskii Cherkas, Kabarda https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Пятигорские_черкасы
%D0%A7%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%8B_%D0%BF%D1%8F%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5_%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B5_%D0%94%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B0.jpg

Cherkasy https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Черкасы
Excerpt from Russian Wikipedia:
The period of the XIII — XIV centuries was characterized by the mass migration of Cherkasy to the region of the Middle Dnieper region (from the mouth of the Desna to the island of Khortytsya, - the end of the Dnieper rapids), which is therefore called “Cherkasy” [18].

V.N. Tatishchev in “The History of Russia since the most ancient times” indicates that Kursk Bask (Governor) Akhmat caused a part of the Cherkasy from Beshtau and Pyatigorye [19]:

“First of Kabardian Circassians in the 14th century in the principality of Kursk, under the rule of the Tatars gathered a lot of rabble, settlements were populated and hunted, and because of many complaints about them, the Tatar governor transferred to the Dnieper, and the city of Cherkasy was built. Then, seeing Polish dissolute rule, the whole of Little Russia was turned into a Cossack, having elected a hetman or an apostle, all were named Circassians. "
The famous Russian historian Karamzin wrote [10]:
“Torquay and Berendei, called Cherkasy, were called Kozak ... some of them, who did not want to submit to either the Moguls or Lithuania, lived like free people on the islands of the Dnieper, surrounded by rocks, impassable reeds and marshes; lured to themselves many Russians, fleeing from oppression; mingled with them and under the name of Lumps they made up one people, who became completely Russian, the easier it was that their ancestors, from the tenth century dwelling in the Kiev region, were themselves almost Russians. More and more multiplying in number, feeding the spirit of independence and fraternity, Kozaki formed the military Christian Republic in the southern countries of the Dnieper, began to build settlements, fortresses in these places devastated by the Tatars; undertook to be the defenders of the Lithuanian possessions by the Krymtsevs, the Turks, and gained special patronage from Sigismund I, who gave them many civil liberties along with lands above the Dnieper rapids, where the city of Cherkasy was named after them. "
Also, according to Karamzin, in the XV century [20]:
“Between the Sea of Azov and the Caspian Sea, a new militant republic has become made up of people speaking our language, professing our faith, and in their person representing a mixture of European and Asian features; people tireless in military affairs, natural horsemen and equestrians, sometimes stubborn, self-willed, predatory, but the exploits of their zeal and valor have their guilt overwhelmed - we are talking about the glorious Don Kozaks ... they were considered Russian runaways; looking for wild liberties and prey in the empty Udyakhs of the Horde of Batu, in places uninhabited, but fruitful, where the Volga moves closer to Don and where the trade route from Asia to Northern Europe has long been; established in their current field; they took the city of Ahas, called it, I think, Cherkassky, or Kozach (for both the names signified one); they took wives for themselves, as probably from the land of Circassian, and with these marriages they could tell the children something Asian in appearance. "
Among the rather contradictory provisions and information presented in this quotation, for example, that the Don Cossacks "were considered Russian fugitives" (most likely, this was exactly what was considered in Russian lands) and "spoke our language" (that by this time , well, it could already have taken place) there is an important remark that at that time the Cossacks were called Cherkas (or vice versa - Cherkasy Cossacks).
This is confirmed by Sigismund von Herberstein, the ambassador of the German emperor, who visited the Grand Duchy of Moscow in 1517 and 1526, who, in particular, said that where the Caucasian ridge rests on the southern arm of the Kuban, Cherkasy Pyatigorsk or chiki lived in the mountains (chiki )
This people, hoping to protect their mountains, does not obey either the Turks or the Tatars. The Russians claim that they are Christians, that they live according to their own customs, they do not depend on anyone, they profess the Greek faith, and send church services in the Slavic language, which they mostly use. They are mostly brave pirates. Descending into the sea on the rivers that flow from their mountains, they rob anyone, especially merchants, sailing from Kafa to Constantinople. "
- they did not obey anyone. Even Ivan the Terrible's father complained about them to the Turkish Sultan "as the Sovereign of the Azov land" [20]:
“... but they disdained dependence on the Mohammedan Kingdom, recognized the supreme power of Russia over themselves - and in 1549 their Leader Saryazman, being called John's subjects, built fortresses on the Don: they seized this river to the very mouth, demanded a tribute from Azov, fought Nogayev, Astrakhan, Tavrida; they did not spare the Turks; pledged to serve as a vigilant watch for Russia, ... and, hoisting a cross over the borders of the Ottoman Empire, put the side of the John Power in mind of Sultan, who hitherto had little to do with us, but then opened his eyes, saw the danger ... "
In 1552, the Cherkasy owned the shores of the Caspian Sea and the lower reaches of the Volga. They transferred Astrakhan in 1556 to Ivan the Terrible, paving the Cherkasy and Kabardian roads for communication with a distant ally and patron - the tsar of Russia - and other North Caucasian tribes [22], often offended the Nogai people [20]. Nogai Murza Belek wrote to the Sovereign: “King Akkabek and Cherkasy perpetrated the property, and they gave him a yurt, took it, gave it: and Yamgurchi, the prince started the property and gave him a yurt, took it, gave it to him” [23] [specify the link (already 1286 days)].
In January 1558, at the head of the five-thousand-strong detachment of warriors, "... the king released Prince Vishnevetsky to the Crimean uluses, and with him Cherkassy Murza of Kabartinsky (Kabardinsky). Kankyuch Kanukov let go to Kabarda, to Cherkasy. ” Kanukov was ordered to gather a detachment in Kabarda and go to the aid of the Vishnevetsky army by Azov.
In 1561, the marriage of Ivan the Terrible with Maria Temryukovna, "from the Cherkassy Pyatigorsk girl" took place.
C 1625 to the title of Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich added the phrase: "Lord and Sovereign of Iversk land, Kartala and Georgian kings and Kabardian land, Cherkasy and Highland Princes," which later was reflected in the coat of arms of the Russian Empire. (The figure shows one of the shields of the Great State Emblem of the Russian Empire, whose fields indicate the titles of the Russian Emperor, as in "Cherkasy and Highland princes and other Crown sovereign and owner", with the exception of the 4th field, in which the emblem of the title "Sovereign the regions of Armensky "- in the golden shield there is a scarlet, crowned lion. [25])
In the 17th century, Giovani de Lucca, the prefect of the Dominican mission in the Cafe (Caffe), finds that the Caucasian Circassians are turning into Mohammedanism; they have no written laws, no church rites, and they are only Christians by name; from the Greek faith, they preserved the custom of carrying food to the graves of the dead and observe certain posts [26].
According to the English traveler Edmund Spencer, who repeatedly visited the Caucasus in 1836–3838 [27]:
"Perhaps the Circassians, who for centuries led a semi-military, semi-gangster way of life and were at one time the Life Guards of the Sultans of Egypt, Turkey and the Crimean Khans, were known to the surrounding peoples by this name (kassack), which they gave to each tribe leading similar Lifestyle.
The settlement of the southern outskirts of Russia in the 16th — 18th centuries (modern Belgorod, Voronezh, Lipetsk, Tambov, and other regions) was attended by the Cherkasy people. These relocations were encouraged by Moscow, which was interested in strengthening its southern borders.

There are records of the Dutch traveler and ethnographer Carnelius de Bruin (1652−1727) about the presence of Cherkasy in some parts of Voronezh, which he saw in 1707 [28]:
“We noticed that most of the royal houses (taverns) near Voronezh were inhabited by Cherkasy. These people are very neat and also neatly contain their homes, in general they are funny and live very nicely, always having fun playing the kryvka and other stringed instruments. They immediately begin their music as soon as someone comes to them, and they immediately serve honey and vodka; between them there are women who provide various services to the roadway. Their clothes are special, not at all like the Russian ... "
According to de Bruin, the Voronezh Cherkasy were prosperous and had servants, unfortunately, he does not provide information about their language - were they at that time language assimilated completely or were bilingual [28].
The term Cherkas was also applied to Kumyks.
L.I. Lavrov wrote about the fact when “Khosrov-Khan Shemakhansky ... mentions the“ Bargun ulus of Cherkas Ondreyevsky, that is, of the Endery ”[29] [30]. Lavrov points out that, for example, the Kumyk Taymazov princes in 1788 "were obviously mistakenly named Kabardian", and cites as an example the information "1761 and 1765, like the writings of I. A. Gildenstedt and J. Potocki," in which "they call Borgunians Kumyks. "[30]
The reason for naming at least the northern (Zasulak) Kumyks as Cherkasy (Circassians), according to Bronevsky in 1823 [31], cited by Devlet-Mirza Shaikhaliyev [32] in 1848, is due to the geographical nature of the term "Circassian region":
"... this Bragun possession" is listed among the Circassian regions by the natural outline of living tracts, although the Bragun inhabitants, being of Tatar origin, belong to the Kumyk branch proper. "
Cherkasy in foreign sources
Pierre-Martin de Lamartier (1634-1690), in his notes in 1653 indicates the population of Little Russia:
Chapter XXXIV. Cherkasy (Circassiens).
... The management of the Cherkasy is completely anarchic. During one uprising that happened in their country, they finally destroyed the higher and lower nobles, and are now ruled by foremen or colonels, whom they choose themselves and with whom the last of them treats a requiem. Although their religion is the same as that of the Russians, they allow foreigners to freely enter their churches, which the Russians do not allow, and even accept foreigners with great kindness and cordiality. The soldiers are called in their language Cossacks (cosaques), and this gave rise to some imagine that the Cossacks - a separate nation. The land in Russia is less fertile [and the climate] is colder than in Cherkasy ...

Information about the original territory of Kabardians
And there are a lot of such evidence, which is difficult to argue with. We believe that the data of these documents are eloquent in themselves, and lead to a clear conclusion: Kabardians established themselves in the present territory only in the 18th century. Until that time there was no need for this - before them there were wide spaces for wandering in the Caucasian steppes - from the Kuban delta, Kuma to the Caspian Sea. In this case, interesting information was preserved in the folklore of the Kabardian people. In the epic song about “Nart Aydemirkan” recorded in 1885. S. Streletsky, there is a fragment, where the Kabardinian cherished dream is freed from the yoke of the Tatars, and after that “the times of our ancestors will return, when our youth will still walk around the steppes of Prikumsk. These are the brilliant times that await us! Then the Circassian can say in consolation to his old father: “I am your worthy son! ... ”(114, p.110). It turns out that in the people's memory of Kabardians, the promised land was not in Pyatigorye and not in the present KBR, but in the steppes of Kukum. Tellingly, in Kabardino-Balkar Republic the Kuma River is the most common hydronym.
This does not mean that until the XVIII century Kabardins did not appear on the territory of Pyatigorsk. Fully trace the ways of their nomadic unlikely, but roughly it looks like this — don, the Crimea, the Kuban river Delta, Kuma, Pyatigorye, Sunzha, the Delta of the Terek. Then back.
An inexperienced reader may think, when reading the last quote, that the settlement of the Kabardians resembled the present state. Meanwhile, from historical materials it is possible to understand that it was at that time the nomadic people who long on one place didn't stay and when this or that site of the earth was exhausted, passed to other place. This also explains the complete absence in the territory of modern Kabarda architectural monuments belonging to the Kabardian people.
In our opinion, the traditions given by Kudasheva, and Blaramberg, it is confirmed by data published in two volumes and which we have quoted above. And there is no reason to complain about their historical unreliability.

Kabardians became known to Russian diplomacy in the middle of the XVI century under the name "Pyatigorsk Cherkasy". But the fact is that the toponymic definition “Pyatigorsk” does not imply the residence of Kabardians in the 16th century in the area of the modern city of Pyatigorsk, Stavropol Territory (Kabardians lived here, but much later). The term "pyatigorye" was used in a completely different region of the Caucasus - the Black Sea region. This is the following evidence, based on the information of travelers, historians, diplomats of the time. Here are just a few examples:
1. Giorgio Interiano. In 1502, in the information of this Italian traveler, geographer and ethnographer, it was said: "At this time, the Circassians (Kabardians) occupied the eastern shore of the Sea of Azov."
2. Martin Bronevsky. A prominent Polish diplomat and statesman who has twice visited the Crimea writes:
"As for Taman, located on the very edge of Tavrida and adjacent to the vast Pyatigorsk region, which Ptolemy and Strabo call Colchio ..."
In the chapter "Pyatigorsk region and its inhabitants" he also writes:
"The region of Pyatigorts, or Colchis ...". In other words, it refers to the territory adjacent to Abkhazia.
3. Jean Chardin. A French nobleman who visited the Caucasus in 1672 on the way to Persia and wrote the paper “The Journey of Mr. Nobleman Chardin to Persia and other Eastern Countries”. He also describes the "Pyatigorsk country":
“From the Palus of the Meotians (Priazovye) strait to Mingrelia there are six hundred miles of mountainous hills. These mountains are very beautiful, covered with forests and inhabited by Circassians. Turks call these peoples "Circassians" or "Kerkes". The ancients called them the common name of the ridge, as well as the inhabitants of the mountains; this corresponds to the definition of “chenge dagi”, which some Eastern geographers give to this people, that is, the “five mountains”. ... Ships from Constantinople and Kafa, going to Mingrelia, anchor on their way in many places on these shores ... ”
Based on this and other information, it can be stated that the toponymic definition of “Pyatigorsk” referred to the western part of the Caucasus - areas of the modern Krasnodar Territory and Abkhazia. Shipping in the area of the modern city of Pyatigorsk, Stavropol Territory, is unthinkable for obvious reasons. At the end of the XVI century, for some unclear reasons, part of the Circassians - Kabardians, leave the West Caucasus Pyatigorye. “In the first half of the 16th century, there were no Kabardian settlements in the Azov Sea region,” writes AM Nekrasov. The surviving registers of income and expenditure of all Ottoman possessions in the area in 1542 make it possible to compare for some items the budget of the colonies of the early 40s of the 16th century. One of these indicators is income from localities of the Western Caucasus ...
At the beginning of October 1545. Russian messenger Belyak Kiykov arrived in Crimea. He reported to Moscow that “there was no king in Crimea at that time, went to Cherkassy to the far to Khabartka on Pyatigorsk, and stood at that time going back from Cherkassy to the carriage against Kerch, then it was impossible to lift, great winds”. Thus, Sahib-Girey twice in one year was on a campaign on the Adygivs in the spring and autumn of 1545, in the first case in the Western Adygs (“near Cherkasy”), in the second - in the Kabardians….
Some time later, according to Remmal-Hoji's story, a Kabardian ruler by the name of Elbozda arrived in Crimea, the name of this prince is well known from Russian sources. The Kabardian prince, he said, was defeated in the fight with his cousin and was forced to flee from Kabarda. Now he turned to Khan with a request to help him return to power. Elbózdu himself volunteered to be a guide. Using the opportunity, Sahib-Girey again gathered an army of 60-70 thousand people, including the Janissaries, and marched through the Azov steppes to Kabarda. Elbozda chose an opportune moment for the attack - the time of harvest was approaching, when, as he said, many Kabardians came under the protection of warriors in a certain area to harvest. In addition to the Kabardians, the prince said, the people of the Buzhaduk tribe harvest in this area from their fields. We are talking about the Western Adig tribe Bzhedugov. About eight days it took the Crimean army to reach the area indicated by Elbozdu. The Kabardians managed to catch up in their hands, but the Bzhedug, numbering 10 thousand people, learned about the attack in advance and decided to go for the trick - to start negotiations with the Khan, and at night to attack the Crimean camp. According to Remmal-hoja, the army of Sahib-Girey was located near the Belkh River. It was not possible to carry out his plan for the Bzhedugians, since the Khan, with the help of Elbozd, had guessed the plan. The night attack on the Sahib-Gereya camp ended with the defeat of the Bzhedug, although Remmal-Khoja especially noted their resilience and courage. As we know from the message of the Russian messenger, Sahib-Gerey returned through the army and prisoners through Temryuk and Kerch, and this means through the West Adg lands, which almost certainly were again devastated. So, 1545g. a strong blow was dealt to both the Western Adygs (Zhane and Bzhedug) and to Kabardians ”(52, p.108) From this message, we can conclude that in the 16th century. Kabardians have already migrated from the areas of the Azov Sea region, closer to the West Adig tribes of the Bzheduk and Zhane people, whose lands were located in the Western Caucasus.
4. Jean de Luc. The Italian monk of the Dominican Order in his work "Description of the Perekop and Nogai Tatars, Circassians, Mingrelians and Georgians, Jean de Luc, Monk of the Dominican Order (1625)" writes about Cherkessia and Kabarda:
"In their country, there are two significant rivers, of which one, flowing into the sea, the Kuban, is called Psi, and the other (Terek) passes near Kabarda."
This message, compiled in 1625, directly indicates that the Terek River is located near Kabarda, and does not flow through its territory.
VN Kudashev, knowing the folk legends, wrote:
“From all the various stories one can make, thus, only one conclusion: the Kabardians were not the original inhabitants of Kabarda, but they moved here somewhere”.
In the Big Soviet Encyclopedia, 1936 edition, it is indicated that Kabardians appeared on the territory of their modern residence at the beginning of the 16th century, but there is also a reservation that “according to some sources, even later”. The most probable date of arrival of Kabardians to the territory of Pyatigorsk is the beginning of the 17th century, but due to the constant attacks of the Crimean Khan, their stay in this area was not long.
The book of memoirs of Kabardian prince K. Atazhukin says that when Kabardians came to Malaya Kabarda, the Nogais lived there, this is also confirmed by archaeological monuments dating from the 15th-17th centuries.
In the historical memory of the Kabardian people, the legend of the first resettlement from the Western Caucasus is preserved. In 1881, the historical legend about the relocation of Kabard Tambiyev was recorded by K. Kashezhev. This legend tells that Kabardians used to live in the North-West Caucasus. Cabard Tambiyev was pristine prince Bolotokov. Because of the exorbitant demands of the prince, he and his people leave, and settles on the left bank of Malka. At that time, as the legend says, these lands belonged to the Kalmyks. Kabard Tambiev enters into an agreement with the Khan of the Kalmyks, and he leaves these lands with his horde. K.Tambiev allegedly remains the owner of the land, and gradually new groups of Adygs began to arrive here and the Kabardian people were formed. ("Folklore of the Circassians". Nalchik, 1990. pp. 197-202.).
It should be noted that Kalmyks appeared beyond the Volga in the 17th century, and even later in the Caucasus.
Russian documents give a much clearer and more consistent picture. In a brief description of the history of the Kabardian people, compiled by the former commandant of the fortress of Holy Cross, D. F. Eropkin, in 1732 (apparently based on the questioning of princes and old-timers) states:
“In the ancient years (and, how many years ago, no one knows), a small number of Cherkasy people crossed from the Polish Little Russians voluntarily to mountain places, and then the mountain Circassians were called and originally they lived in the headwaters of two Kum near five mountains. And in the time of their existence in those places came to those Circassians from different countries and from Russia of every rank people, whom the Circassians of that kind took to their lackeys. And in those days, those Circassians were moving to different places to steal, and were given masculine and feminine sex; and after a few years after the breeding of this people, the old-time Circassians who had emerged, the old people, who had their serfs for breeding, were called Uzdens (that is, nobles).
And further: "And these Circassians wandered in the long summer passing along the rivers Turku, along Qom, along the Kuban and near those places where the Turkish cities of Temryuk and Taman were." (KRO, vol. 2, p. 78).
As we see, here we are talking not about the territory of present-day Kabardino-Balkaria, but about the steppes of Stavropol and the Azov region. This is confirmed by the information of the modern historian A.M. Nekrasov:
“It is rather curious that the Remhalhoja message about the annual arrival of bzhedug in Kabarda for conducting field work. According to later data, the bzhedughs lived in the mountains south of the Khatukayevites, i.e. at a considerable distance from Kabarda. " (“International relations and peoples of the Western Caucasus”, M., p. 108, 1990).
In this case, a comment is required. How bzhedugi living in the mouth of the Kuban, twice a year went to Kabarda for 600 km. for spring plowing, sowing and harvesting the autumn harvest? At that time there were no highways in the Caucasus. Another question arises: how did they bring the harvest home? It is impossible to answer these questions from the traditional position on the location of Kabarda in the Central Caucasus. Kabarda was not far from the lands of the Bzhedug, only in this case they could rent land from Kabardians. This is confirmed by other information. In Russian sources the ethnonym "bzhedugi" appears only in the XVIII century. The document of 1718 informs that “behind Kabarda there are six townships in which the Circassians live in another language; and of those in Hatukai and in Zhadu, he, Bahty-Giray, is partly believed. ” (KRO, t, II, p.19) This same tribe is named in the Russian documents of the 40s of the same century - bzheduhi (bzhedugi). (NG Volkov "Ethnonyms and tribal names of the North Caucasus", M., p.39, 1973)
These data are consistent with the document number 12. From the article list of the Russian messenger to Turkey I.P. Novoseltseva about negotiations with Turkish Pasha Maamet in 1570: “And Ivan said. - From Kabarda to Beslenei versts with 500, and that land went far away from Cherkas (approximately, this is the Terek delta, - NB), which your sovereign bowed and served, and did not own that land, where the city of Turka became, chant Temruck nihto "(KRO, T.1, p.23).
Unsubscribe from the Terek voivode I.ADashkov and his comrades to the Ambassadorial order on the exploration of silver ore deposits in 1629. One of the first mentions of Balkarians in the gorge is Tashly-tala, in Russian documents. Judging by the answer (to send military men), the Balkars were not under the sovereign's hand.
In 1633, the Kabardian murza of Tatarkhan, who served in the city of Terek, asked the brothers to give him permission to fish in the Terek canals, “co-op with the city people of Terek, Russian people”. (T. 1, p. 169). From the context of this document, it can be argued that during this period of time, the Kabardian nomad camp was located at the mouth of the Terek. Moreover, based on the information of subsequent events, we can consider this as another move of Kabardians to the area of the river Kuma and Pyatigorsk.
From the petitional murza of Mutsal Sunchaleevich about rewarding him for swearing in Kazyeva Kabarda in 1643.
“... And the Kabardian, the sovereign, Aleguk and Chojdozhduk Murza and Small Nogai Murza told him that they were at your state’s grace to go without disobedience, but now it’s impossible to go, they wander away, and the Turks and Crimean soldiers in the big fence, and only they (Kabardians, -N.B.) will go to the Terek, and they, they will detain them and destroy them. And so de, sovereign to go with them from the Terek for a contract on the river Kourou to me, your lackeys Mutsalka, and their cabs to go to the Five Mountains.
... And I, your slave, from the Cossack from the Verkhneva of the Cherlensky town went to Aleguk and Chodduzduk murza on the river Kuru "(V.1, pp. 236-237).
From the reply of the Terek governor M.I. Volynsky in Ambassadorial order to bring to the coat (oath) Kaziyoy Kabarda. This document is notable for the fact that Karachais are mentioned there in the Pyatigorsk area in 1643.
“... we, your serfs, were sent to Kabarda to be accompanied with a newly baptized with Petrunka Ondreyev. And in the inquiry we, your servants, were told that on the Kum River on the Modzhar Settlement they were crushed by the Don Cossacks, the horses were driven away and they were all beaten, and they took the new Petrunka alive and took him with him, and he de Chuvayko, the very third from that battle they had escaped into the forest; and went to Kabarda along the Qom rivers at night. And in Kabarda, sovereign, under the Five Mountains, they were taken by the Karachai Circassians, and from those Karachai Circassians they were taken by Aleguk Murza Shaganukov to their pubs and kept for themselves. And as de, sovereign, they came from Terek to Aleguk and Chojdozhduk murza in the tavern son of boyar Ondrei Senin yes interpreter Grishka Ortemyev, and he de, Aleguka Murza, with them let them go to Terek "
This document is important because it first mentions Karachai – Karachayev Circassians who lived near Pyatigorsk in 1643. BBPiotrovsky writes about this: “In the area of Beshtau, to the west of the territory of the Basivbiyev, there were spring bazaars where trade people came from different places” (109, p.356). As the ethnonym Basian is known, the Basianbians called the Balkarians.
From the reply of Terek voevoda, MP Volynsky, to negotiations with Murzy Kaziyeva Kabarda to transfer their taverns closer to the Terek town in 1644.
“And we, your serfs, sent Mutsal-Murza from Terek to Kabarda to escort the Terek cavalry centurion Streletsky Mikhail Molchanov with mounted archers and from Novokresheny and okochany. And with him, in Kabarda and in Maliy Nogai, they wrote that they single-handedly went to their former nomad camps closer to Tersk town without any stirring ... "(V.1, p.248-250)
From the reply of M.P. Volyn:
“Both Aleguk and Khozhdduk Murza told him, Mutsalu, that they were your sovereigns, and now de Euro, Mutsalov, they plowed arable land on the Crimean side beyond the Kuban River and they couldn’t go to the city closer to Terek ...
... And for much, de, sovereign, time, Aleguk and Khodduzduk Murza, were dissuaded to wander beyond the Kuban River, and their former nomad camps were not closer to Tersk town ...
Kabardian Aleguka and Khotozduka Murza Kaziyev, with their own taverns and Murza Maly Nogaya from the Uluses, from the Crimean side, from behind the Kuban River, switched to their former nomads closer to the Tersky town on the Kumu River. (Thus, the former nomads of Kabardians, from where they, under the leadership of Aleguki Khodzduki, crossed over to the Crimean side, beyond the Kuban, were not in the current Big Kabarda, but on the Kume River, NB)
... he, Mutsal-murza, to you, the sovereign, served, and Kabardian Aleguk and Chozdduku murz and murz of Maliy Nogai, who were alone with him, uttered and led to the fact that they were with kabaks and with all the ulus people, with all their possession, from the Crimean side, under Beslan, because of the Kuban River, they moved to your sovereign ancestral land to the city of Tersk and began to wander from the uluses along the Kum river and near their old town, from the city of Tersk in only four bottoms.
... And he took, Mutsal, that amanat brought to his city of Tersk and his brother Aleguku-murzu and Budaicheva's wife and children and his taverns with all his possession from Aleguki-murza took him and planted along the Suu side of the Kuma river, from the Alegukins and the Khozhdukino kabaks from the middle of the bottom near the city, in the lining on the river Byuhukhuke before your sovereign decree, for the time being for Evo, Mutsalov, blessing you, sire, to transfer their taverns to the Sunshu river ... ”(v.1, p.248-250).
Memory from the order of the Kazan Palace in the Ambassadorial order (1674).
And the Crimean Khan wrote to Musost (Kaziyev, Kabardian prince; NB) with brothers and nephews, so that they would go to their old nomads on the Kumu River and on Balk and on Besht” (V.1, p.334 )

A document has already been quoted above, which states that from “Kabarda to Beslenei, i.e. to the Kuban "versts with 500"; thus, Kabarda at that time was somewhere in the region of the present lowland part of Chechnya, Ingushetia and Northern Dagestan, near the lower reaches of the Terek, Kuma and Sunzha. These data are also confirmed when analyzing information about neighboring nations. For example, Karachaevans and Svans are mentioned only once, Balkarians and Ossetians twice, while Cossacks, Kumyks, Nogays (large and small), Kalmyks, Dagestanis, Chechens and Ingushs (okochane, Mick, Shato, shubut). Kabardians roamed the steppes between the Terek delta, Kuma, and Pyatigorsk, the transition from a semi-nomadic way of life and their settlement in the present territory began in 1720.
KRO, Volume II.
It should be noted that documents relating to the period 1689-1711. Ie, precisely by the time when Kabardians, pressed from the north by Kalmyks and Nogais, from the east by Kumyks and Chechens, from the west - by the Crimeans, were forced to retreat into the present territory, for two reasons they don’t.
From the letter of Kabardian prince Arslanbek to Peter I (1723).
“From the past years, your Majesty's fathers and our grandfathers allowed us to live in Turki, and Kumyks were never allowed to live here; I humbly ask, in order to continue to be an inheritance from our relatives on Terka, and that there should be no presence here for Kumyks ”(V.2, p.38).
Another statement about Kabardians, drawn up on the testimony of several Kabardian nobles, dates back to 1732:
“... ago, dear to this, Kabardians allegedly lived along the Kume River and served as a Russian sovereign, and in the city of Terek they gave Amanat with a change, but they do not remember, and at that time they had a son, the elder Prince Masaus Kaziev, according to it Tenzbey, Bek-Murza, Kazi Masaus and others; and they sent de from themselves often to Moscow to the Russian sovereign for ambassadors for a salary; and at that time, fearing the Kuban (Nogai), so that they would not be ruined, Kabardians yasyrei were given to Crimea instead of tribute a year to ten people, and then quarreling among themselves Kabardians and one of them, Bek-Murza, killing two owners, the Tanbeyevs children, went to the Crimea and begged troops from the Crimean Khan there, during which the commander Sawat-weights Sultan came, Circassian all the princes and with their subordinates were cast into full and transferred to the Orb River (modern Urup. - note) and there they were settled ”; and further:
“... and having lived, the de Kabardians, after taking them to the full Orbe River, went a little to the Kuban River, and from the Kuban, on the other side of the Kuban, to the Chilchik River, and from Chilchik, they went along the same side of the Kuma River to the Purgusat River (present-day Burgustan. - approx.), and from the river Purgusat they went on their own to Beshtou (to the Five Mountains), where their homes had been before, and settled there for a while; and then, hearing that the Crimean army was heading for them, and being afraid, they, the Circassians, went to a strong place, to the mountains on the Baksan River ”(vol. 2, p. 64).
The Kabardian ambassador Magomet Atazhukin told about the same thing in the College of Foreign Affairs in March 1732:
“... he came, Bek-Murza, with the Crimean Shahbaz-Girey Khan to take them, Pyatigorsk owners, with all possession in the Crimea. And then these owners all left; alone in the Kalmyk uluses to Ayuk Khan, and in the Kumyks; and the vile people took all the Crimean Shahbaz-Girey Khan, drove to the Kuban, and then their Pyatigorsk owners called for him to the Kuban. And with the advice of Kalmyk Ayuki Khan, the new owners, both from him and the lawyers, all went to the Kuban. And how many years he lived there, Mahomet Bek, does not remember that. Then, as the war began with Russia with the Turks and the Crimeans, at that time the Ayuki Khan Kalmyk army came to the Kuban Pyatigorsk city owners with all their possession and took them to Baksan ”(KRO, vol. 2, p. 59).

Last edited:
http://kazak-sv.ru/index.php/o-kazachestve/istoriya
Recently I found an interesting material on the origin of the Ukrainian Cossacks and decided to share it with you.
One of its first outlined in the XVIII century. G.Z. Bayer, who wrote that the Cossacks "were revered by all for a brave and strong people," and such a people could not come from "thieves" and "robbers", of which, as stated in a number of documents of the XVI-XVII centuries., Cossacks originated. Therefore, he declared the existence of the Cossacks as early as the 10th century, referring to Constantine Porphyrogenitus, who noted that the Cossacks “in 948. lived in present-day Kabarda, where they were brought from the Grand Duke Mstislav to Russian citizenship ”; later on, these Cossacks accepted the runaway "Rossians, Poles, and others." So for the first time in Russian historiography, the idea of an ancient, and not Russian, Cossack origin was expressed.
It was developed by V.N. Tatishchev, who believed that the Don Cossacks were partially descended from the Meshcher Cossacks transferred to Don under Ivan IV, and partly from the Cossacks who came to the Don with Prince M. Vishnevetsky to fight the Turks advancing on Astrakhan; they settled on the Don, where they "built the city of Cherkasy." The Cossacks themselves are descendants of the Cherkass from Beshtau, who settled in 1282 near Kursk, and then transferred to the Dnieper and built the city of Cherkasy. The similarity of the names: Cherkassk, Cherkasy (city), Cherkasy (Zaporozhtsy) and Circassians gave the foundation to V.N. Tatishchev to associate the origin of the Don Cossacks with the Caucasus. As for the Cossacks on the Terek, they, according to Tatishchev, were descended from a group of Don Cossacks who had raided the Volga.
The author of the Caucasian Manuscript, I. Blaramberg, referring to the archives of the Foreign Affairs Collegium, describes one version of the origin of the Cossacks: “In 1282, Khan Baskak brought Circassians from the Pyatigorsk region and Beshtau to Kursk and settled them there, calling them Cossacks. Then they were driven from there and part of the Circassians moved and settled in the lower reaches of the Dnieper, where they built a settlement Cherkassk. Then they substantiated the predatory territory there, which later became known as the Zaporizhzhya Sich. ”
The document of 1352 states that the Lithuanian prince Gedemin, having conquered Cafu and Perekop, led the Circassians with their princess and settled them on the r. Sniporid (tributary of the Sula) and founded the city of Cherkasy there. Later, Gedemin also populated the Circassians and the area of the town of Kaniv.
However, according to historians Boltin and Tatishchev, back in the XIV century. Kursk Bask Akhmat called allegedly one part of Cherkasy from Beshtau mountain (Pyatigorye; in Adyghe it was called Bgiytxw “Five Mountains”; in Tatar - Beshtau, because of the mountain with five peaks), and these Cherkasy built on the Dnieper a city named after name, - Cherkasy.
The version of the genesis of the Cossacks and the mention of the same Baskak can be found in the previously published book of S. Bogush, “The Story of Tavria”, published in 1806. Having described the story of how Baskak brought the Circassians from Pyatigorye and Beshtau, the author continued: “The Kaniv governor allowed they (Circassians) settle on the Dnieper banks. Here they built a village, which they called Cherkassky, in the name of their ancient fatherland. ” N. Karamzin expressed the same thoughts: “They lured (the Circassians) to themselves many Russians who had fled from oppression, mixed with them and, under the name of the Cossacks, constituted one people”.
George Vernadsky considered possible the Kasozh-Circassian version of the origin of the Cossacks: “This word (i.e. Kozak, Cossack, - OG) comes from the ethnic name of Kaz, the ancient North Caucasian people, now known as Adygei or Circassians. The last name in its original form sounded like Chakhar-Kaz, which means “four clans of Kaz”.
In the above presentation of G. Vernadsky, the Circassian communities in the Dnieper region were formed as a result of bringing them into the service, first by the Russian princes, then by the Mongolian dynasties. This has a direct confirmation in the materials of the Russian chronicles. Probably, the lands traditional for the settlement of the allies of Russia were taken for them.
In the Moscow documents of the XVI and XVII centuries, Cherkasy called both Cherkess and Ukrainian Cossacks. As for the latter, this name apparently came from the city of Cherkasy on the Dnieper River to the south of Kiev, and that, in turn, was one of the centers of the Dnieper-Cossack region. Probably, the city of Cherkasy was originally a Circassian settlement. It is necessary to take into account the formation in a similar way of the name of the city of Iasi (in Romanian Jasi, Old Russian Iasi Torg), the old capital of Moldova, which was originally founded by the Alans. According to the old Russian, “Yasy” meant “Alans”. The Cherkess settlement in the Cherkasy region was probably founded in the 11th century, if not earlier.
V. Gatzuk, Ukrainian scholar of the early XX century, demonstrates the Circassian origin of the Zaporozhye Cossacks in a completely categorical colours: "... the City of Kanev, Cherkasy, Chyhyryn was founded and is inhabited by Kasogs, and all of the rural, hamlet, settlement on both banks of the Dnieper South of Kiev then consisted of Kasogs. Dnieper Kasogi lived in peace with the indigenous population - with the Slavs-Glades. Protecting yourself and them (the Meadow was a peaceful, agrarian tribe) from formidable enemies of the Mongols, all approaching from the East in the following centuries, brave Kasogi “watered with their blood the Dnieper shore”;... and maybe, their courage and military exposure, which they are, tenacious between the Meadows, and gave to them, must largely the West that thread Mongolian did not spread further Bank of the Dnieper. The common danger connects people. Little by little Kasogi Circassians merged with the Glades and formed, together with them, the so-called little Russian tribe. From them, the present little Russians received those features that distinguish the pure little Russian type from the great Russians – the dark color of hair and eyes, delicate facial features. The Circassians gave Malorussian their love of liberty, hatred of the so-called “slavery”... they are also borrowed Malorussy and the General nature of the clothing, home environment, still their weapons... If you listen to how modern Kabardians sing their heroic song and epic, affinity Circassian tribe with little it turns out especially clearly: the same size and the rhythm of poetry, the same rhyming and takiya same of rising and falling voices, what we hear in the little-Russian people's “thoughts”. Even the Circassians gave their name to the little Russian tribe: before the reign of Emperor Alexander the 1st - when the Caucasian Circassians, who did not want to voluntarily submit, were declared "enemies of Russia" – not only the Russian people, but also official papers called the little Russians Circassians".
As a result of cross-breeding and complementarity with the local Turks, North Caucasians and the Slavs originated in the XV century subgroup of the Ukrainian Cossacks – "Cherkasy".
Numerous cultural and linguistic facts testify to the mestizo character of the Cossacks. You can read about them in this article: the Origin of Ukrainian surnames and other Adyghe etymologies
Cultural and etymological Parallels
Don Cossacks, from the first mention of them, considered themselves descendants of Circassians. Circassians also think of the Cossacks as its related people. Lifestyle United, wear the uniform, the people of the war, many common words, Circassians and Cossacks shipileva. The language became different for many reasons (mixed with Tatars, Slavs).
Zaporizhzhya Sich is formed by Circassians, they are genetic (Circassians and Cossacks) one people.
A tuft of hair on the head. Had a special importance among the Circassians. Circassians, who died in the battles of their compatriots, were taken from the battlefield and buried in their homeland. If it was not possible to take the body, took the head and buried only the head. Heads were connected by the left bunches of hair and when it was gathered to 10 heads, one of soldiers sent home for burials. To keep the tribesmen on the battlefield was considered a great shame. To allocate a bunch of hair on the head perinata them from the Hutts (the ancestors of the Circassians). The word Cossack trying to translate between languages, and Tatar and Persian, etc.
A COSSACK from Circassian means one son. When called to war, the Circassians were released one of his sons, called them KAZAK (kyuusoku). If there was only one son in the family, he was not called to war. In Russian to say except as a COSSACK will not work.
http://www.adygi.ru/index.php?newsid=483
At first, the Cossacks were formed as paramilitary troops in the Golden Horde of the Kipchak-Slavic mestizos of the “Brodniki (Mens of Ford)” Christians (who were previously in client relations with the Cumans) to guard one of the main ports of the Golden Horde, Azak (Tana, now Azov), income from which went to the contents of the personal guard of the Great Khan "Keshik / Keshig", consisting of Nestorian Christians and constituting the four Durban tribes.

In 1395, when the city of Azak was taken by Timur, all the captured Christians were released (unlike the Muslim prisoners), and it was this year that the word “Cossack” - “liberated, free person” was first mentioned in the Great Lithuanian Principality. . Part of the "Cossacks" was transferred to the service of Lithuania, part - in the Italian colonies in the Crimea.

The document of 1552 states that the Lithuanian prince Gedemin, having conquered Cafu and Perekop, led the Circassians with their princess and settled them on the r. Sniporid (a tributary of the Sula river) and founded the city of Cherkasy there (the name derives from the designation of service people in the Golden Horde from the North Caucasian tribes - "charms-kisi" - "army people"). Later, Gedemin also populated the Circassians and the area of the town of Kaniv. Due to the metatation and the complementarity with the local Turks and Slavs, it appeared in the XV century. subgroup of Ukrainian Cossacks - "Cherkasy".

Numerous cultural and linguistic facts testify to the mesic character of the Cossacks. For example, the ending "-ko" in the Ukrainian Cossack surnames (unknown in Central, Northern and Western Ukraine) comes from the Circassian "-cho" - "son". Also the Circassian is considered the surname Shevchenko (from adyg. "Sheujen" - "Christian priest"), which was the generic nickname of the grandfather of the Ukrainian writer Taras Grushivsky (Taras Shevchenko).

Pyatigorsk (Cherkassy five mountains) Cherkassy - The collective name of the Eastern Circassians — Kabardians, some time was common along with Kabardian Cherkas, Kabaiterskii Cherkas, Kabarda https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Пятигорские_черкасы
%D0%A7%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%8B_%D0%BF%D1%8F%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B5_%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D0%B5_%D0%94%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B0.jpg

Cherkasy https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Черкасы
Excerpt from Russian Wikipedia:
The period of the XIII — XIV centuries was characterized by the mass migration of Cherkasy to the region of the Middle Dnieper region (from the mouth of the Desna to the island of Khortytsya, - the end of the Dnieper rapids), which is therefore called “Cherkasy” [18].

V.N. Tatishchev in “The History of Russia since the most ancient times” indicates that Kursk Bask (Governor) Akhmat caused a part of the Cherkasy from Beshtau and Pyatigorye [19]:

“First of Kabardian Circassians in the 14th century in the principality of Kursk, under the rule of the Tatars gathered a lot of rabble, settlements were populated and hunted, and because of many complaints about them, the Tatar governor transferred to the Dnieper, and the city of Cherkasy was built. Then, seeing Polish dissolute rule, the whole of Little Russia was turned into a Cossack, having elected a hetman or an apostle, all were named Circassians. "
The famous Russian historian Karamzin wrote [10]:
“Torquay and Berendei, called Cherkasy, were called Kozak ... some of them, who did not want to submit to either the Moguls or Lithuania, lived like free people on the islands of the Dnieper, surrounded by rocks, impassable reeds and marshes; lured to themselves many Russians, fleeing from oppression; mingled with them and under the name of Lumps they made up one people, who became completely Russian, the easier it was that their ancestors, from the tenth century dwelling in the Kiev region, were themselves almost Russians. More and more multiplying in number, feeding the spirit of independence and fraternity, Kozaki formed the military Christian Republic in the southern countries of the Dnieper, began to build settlements, fortresses in these places devastated by the Tatars; undertook to be the defenders of the Lithuanian possessions by the Krymtsevs, the Turks, and gained special patronage from Sigismund I, who gave them many civil liberties along with lands above the Dnieper rapids, where the city of Cherkasy was named after them. "
Also, according to Karamzin, in the XV century [20]:
“Between the Sea of Azov and the Caspian Sea, a new militant republic has become made up of people speaking our language, professing our faith, and in their person representing a mixture of European and Asian features; people tireless in military affairs, natural horsemen and equestrians, sometimes stubborn, self-willed, predatory, but the exploits of their zeal and valor have their guilt overwhelmed - we are talking about the glorious Don Kozaks ... they were considered Russian runaways; looking for wild liberties and prey in the empty Udyakhs of the Horde of Batu, in places uninhabited, but fruitful, where the Volga moves closer to Don and where the trade route from Asia to Northern Europe has long been; established in their current field; they took the city of Ahas, called it, I think, Cherkassky, or Kozach (for both the names signified one); they took wives for themselves, as probably from the land of Circassian, and with these marriages they could tell the children something Asian in appearance. "
Among the rather contradictory provisions and information presented in this quotation, for example, that the Don Cossacks "were considered Russian fugitives" (most likely, this was exactly what was considered in Russian lands) and "spoke our language" (that by this time , well, it could already have taken place) there is an important remark that at that time the Cossacks were called Cherkas (or vice versa - Cherkasy Cossacks).
This is confirmed by Sigismund von Herberstein, the ambassador of the German emperor, who visited the Grand Duchy of Moscow in 1517 and 1526, who, in particular, said that where the Caucasian ridge rests on the southern arm of the Kuban, Cherkasy Pyatigorsk or chiki lived in the mountains (chiki )
This people, hoping to protect their mountains, does not obey either the Turks or the Tatars. The Russians claim that they are Christians, that they live according to their own customs, they do not depend on anyone, they profess the Greek faith, and send church services in the Slavic language, which they mostly use. They are mostly brave pirates. Descending into the sea on the rivers that flow from their mountains, they rob anyone, especially merchants, sailing from Kafa to Constantinople. "
- they did not obey anyone. Even Ivan the Terrible's father complained about them to the Turkish Sultan "as the Sovereign of the Azov land" [20]:
“... but they disdained dependence on the Mohammedan Kingdom, recognized the supreme power of Russia over themselves - and in 1549 their Leader Saryazman, being called John's subjects, built fortresses on the Don: they seized this river to the very mouth, demanded a tribute from Azov, fought Nogayev, Astrakhan, Tavrida; they did not spare the Turks; pledged to serve as a vigilant watch for Russia, ... and, hoisting a cross over the borders of the Ottoman Empire, put the side of the John Power in mind of Sultan, who hitherto had little to do with us, but then opened his eyes, saw the danger ... "
In 1552, the Cherkasy owned the shores of the Caspian Sea and the lower reaches of the Volga. They transferred Astrakhan in 1556 to Ivan the Terrible, paving the Cherkasy and Kabardian roads for communication with a distant ally and patron - the tsar of Russia - and other North Caucasian tribes [22], often offended the Nogai people [20]. Nogai Murza Belek wrote to the Sovereign: “King Akkabek and Cherkasy perpetrated the property, and they gave him a yurt, took it, gave it: and Yamgurchi, the prince started the property and gave him a yurt, took it, gave it to him” [23] [specify the link (already 1286 days)].
In January 1558, at the head of the five-thousand-strong detachment of warriors, "... the king released Prince Vishnevetsky to the Crimean uluses, and with him Cherkassy Murza of Kabartinsky (Kabardinsky). Kankyuch Kanukov let go to Kabarda, to Cherkasy. ” Kanukov was ordered to gather a detachment in Kabarda and go to the aid of the Vishnevetsky army by Azov.
In 1561, the marriage of Ivan the Terrible with Maria Temryukovna, "from the Cherkassy Pyatigorsk girl" took place.
C 1625 to the title of Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich added the phrase: "Lord and Sovereign of Iversk land, Kartala and Georgian kings and Kabardian land, Cherkasy and Highland Princes," which later was reflected in the coat of arms of the Russian Empire. (The figure shows one of the shields of the Great State Emblem of the Russian Empire, whose fields indicate the titles of the Russian Emperor, as in "Cherkasy and Highland princes and other Crown sovereign and owner", with the exception of the 4th field, in which the emblem of the title "Sovereign the regions of Armensky "- in the golden shield there is a scarlet, crowned lion. [25])
In the 17th century, Giovani de Lucca, the prefect of the Dominican mission in the Cafe (Caffe), finds that the Caucasian Circassians are turning into Mohammedanism; they have no written laws, no church rites, and they are only Christians by name; from the Greek faith, they preserved the custom of carrying food to the graves of the dead and observe certain posts [26].
According to the English traveler Edmund Spencer, who repeatedly visited the Caucasus in 1836–3838 [27]:
"Perhaps the Circassians, who for centuries led a semi-military, semi-gangster way of life and were at one time the Life Guards of the Sultans of Egypt, Turkey and the Crimean Khans, were known to the surrounding peoples by this name (kassack), which they gave to each tribe leading similar Lifestyle.
The settlement of the southern outskirts of Russia in the 16th — 18th centuries (modern Belgorod, Voronezh, Lipetsk, Tambov, and other regions) was attended by the Cherkasy people. These relocations were encouraged by Moscow, which was interested in strengthening its southern borders.

There are records of the Dutch traveler and ethnographer Carnelius de Bruin (1652−1727) about the presence of Cherkasy in some parts of Voronezh, which he saw in 1707 [28]:
“We noticed that most of the royal houses (taverns) near Voronezh were inhabited by Cherkasy. These people are very neat and also neatly contain their homes, in general they are funny and live very nicely, always having fun playing the kryvka and other stringed instruments. They immediately begin their music as soon as someone comes to them, and they immediately serve honey and vodka; between them there are women who provide various services to the roadway. Their clothes are special, not at all like the Russian ... "
According to de Bruin, the Voronezh Cherkasy were prosperous and had servants, unfortunately, he does not provide information about their language - were they at that time language assimilated completely or were bilingual [28].
The term Cherkas was also applied to Kumyks.
L.I. Lavrov wrote about the fact when “Khosrov-Khan Shemakhansky ... mentions the“ Bargun ulus of Cherkas Ondreyevsky, that is, of the Endery ”[29] [30]. Lavrov points out that, for example, the Kumyk Taymazov princes in 1788 "were obviously mistakenly named Kabardian", and cites as an example the information "1761 and 1765, like the writings of I. A. Gildenstedt and J. Potocki," in which "they call Borgunians Kumyks. "[30]
The reason for naming at least the northern (Zasulak) Kumyks as Cherkasy (Circassians), according to Bronevsky in 1823 [31], cited by Devlet-Mirza Shaikhaliyev [32] in 1848, is due to the geographical nature of the term "Circassian region":
"... this Bragun possession" is listed among the Circassian regions by the natural outline of living tracts, although the Bragun inhabitants, being of Tatar origin, belong to the Kumyk branch proper. "
Cherkasy in foreign sources
Pierre-Martin de Lamartier (1634-1690), in his notes in 1653 indicates the population of Little Russia:
Chapter XXXIV. Cherkasy (Circassiens).
... The management of the Cherkasy is completely anarchic. During one uprising that happened in their country, they finally destroyed the higher and lower nobles, and are now ruled by foremen or colonels, whom they choose themselves and with whom the last of them treats a requiem. Although their religion is the same as that of the Russians, they allow foreigners to freely enter their churches, which the Russians do not allow, and even accept foreigners with great kindness and cordiality. The soldiers are called in their language Cossacks (cosaques), and this gave rise to some imagine that the Cossacks - a separate nation. The land in Russia is less fertile [and the climate] is colder than in Cherkasy ...

Information about the original territory of Kabardians
And there are a lot of such evidence, which is difficult to argue with. We believe that the data of these documents are eloquent in themselves, and lead to a clear conclusion: Kabardians established themselves in the present territory only in the 18th century. Until that time there was no need for this - before them there were wide spaces for wandering in the Caucasian steppes - from the Kuban delta, Kuma to the Caspian Sea. In this case, interesting information was preserved in the folklore of the Kabardian people. In the epic song about “Nart Aydemirkan” recorded in 1885. S. Streletsky, there is a fragment, where the Kabardinian cherished dream is freed from the yoke of the Tatars, and after that “the times of our ancestors will return, when our youth will still walk around the steppes of Prikumsk. These are the brilliant times that await us! Then the Circassian can say in consolation to his old father: “I am your worthy son! ... ”(114, p.110). It turns out that in the people's memory of Kabardians, the promised land was not in Pyatigorye and not in the present KBR, but in the steppes of Kukum. Tellingly, in Kabardino-Balkar Republic the Kuma River is the most common hydronym.
This does not mean that until the XVIII century Kabardins did not appear on the territory of Pyatigorsk. Fully trace the ways of their nomadic unlikely, but roughly it looks like this — don, the Crimea, the Kuban river Delta, Kuma, Pyatigorye, Sunzha, the Delta of the Terek. Then back.
An inexperienced reader may think, when reading the last quote, that the settlement of the Kabardians resembled the present state. Meanwhile, from historical materials it is possible to understand that it was at that time the nomadic people who long on one place didn't stay and when this or that site of the earth was exhausted, passed to other place. This also explains the complete absence in the territory of modern Kabarda architectural monuments belonging to the Kabardian people.
In our opinion, the traditions given by Kudasheva, and Blaramberg, it is confirmed by data published in two volumes and which we have quoted above. And there is no reason to complain about their historical unreliability.

Kabardians became known to Russian diplomacy in the middle of the XVI century under the name "Pyatigorsk Cherkasy". But the fact is that the toponymic definition “Pyatigorsk” does not imply the residence of Kabardians in the 16th century in the area of the modern city of Pyatigorsk, Stavropol Territory (Kabardians lived here, but much later). The term "pyatigorye" was used in a completely different region of the Caucasus - the Black Sea region. This is the following evidence, based on the information of travelers, historians, diplomats of the time. Here are just a few examples:
1. Giorgio Interiano. In 1502, in the information of this Italian traveler, geographer and ethnographer, it was said: "At this time, the Circassians (Kabardians) occupied the eastern shore of the Sea of Azov."
2. Martin Bronevsky. A prominent Polish diplomat and statesman who has twice visited the Crimea writes:
"As for Taman, located on the very edge of Tavrida and adjacent to the vast Pyatigorsk region, which Ptolemy and Strabo call Colchio ..."
In the chapter "Pyatigorsk region and its inhabitants" he also writes:
"The region of Pyatigorts, or Colchis ...". In other words, it refers to the territory adjacent to Abkhazia.
3. Jean Chardin. A French nobleman who visited the Caucasus in 1672 on the way to Persia and wrote the paper “The Journey of Mr. Nobleman Chardin to Persia and other Eastern Countries”. He also describes the "Pyatigorsk country":
“From the Palus of the Meotians (Priazovye) strait to Mingrelia there are six hundred miles of mountainous hills. These mountains are very beautiful, covered with forests and inhabited by Circassians. Turks call these peoples "Circassians" or "Kerkes". The ancients called them the common name of the ridge, as well as the inhabitants of the mountains; this corresponds to the definition of “chenge dagi”, which some Eastern geographers give to this people, that is, the “five mountains”. ... Ships from Constantinople and Kafa, going to Mingrelia, anchor on their way in many places on these shores ... ”
Based on this and other information, it can be stated that the toponymic definition of “Pyatigorsk” referred to the western part of the Caucasus - areas of the modern Krasnodar Territory and Abkhazia. Shipping in the area of the modern city of Pyatigorsk, Stavropol Territory, is unthinkable for obvious reasons. At the end of the XVI century, for some unclear reasons, part of the Circassians - Kabardians, leave the West Caucasus Pyatigorye. “In the first half of the 16th century, there were no Kabardian settlements in the Azov Sea region,” writes AM Nekrasov. The surviving registers of income and expenditure of all Ottoman possessions in the area in 1542 make it possible to compare for some items the budget of the colonies of the early 40s of the 16th century. One of these indicators is income from localities of the Western Caucasus ...
At the beginning of October 1545. Russian messenger Belyak Kiykov arrived in Crimea. He reported to Moscow that “there was no king in Crimea at that time, went to Cherkassy to the far to Khabartka on Pyatigorsk, and stood at that time going back from Cherkassy to the carriage against Kerch, then it was impossible to lift, great winds”. Thus, Sahib-Girey twice in one year was on a campaign on the Adygivs in the spring and autumn of 1545, in the first case in the Western Adygs (“near Cherkasy”), in the second - in the Kabardians….
Some time later, according to Remmal-Hoji's story, a Kabardian ruler by the name of Elbozda arrived in Crimea, the name of this prince is well known from Russian sources. The Kabardian prince, he said, was defeated in the fight with his cousin and was forced to flee from Kabarda. Now he turned to Khan with a request to help him return to power. Elbózdu himself volunteered to be a guide. Using the opportunity, Sahib-Girey again gathered an army of 60-70 thousand people, including the Janissaries, and marched through the Azov steppes to Kabarda. Elbozda chose an opportune moment for the attack - the time of harvest was approaching, when, as he said, many Kabardians came under the protection of warriors in a certain area to harvest. In addition to the Kabardians, the prince said, the people of the Buzhaduk tribe harvest in this area from their fields. We are talking about the Western Adig tribe Bzhedugov. About eight days it took the Crimean army to reach the area indicated by Elbozdu. The Kabardians managed to catch up in their hands, but the Bzhedug, numbering 10 thousand people, learned about the attack in advance and decided to go for the trick - to start negotiations with the Khan, and at night to attack the Crimean camp. According to Remmal-hoja, the army of Sahib-Girey was located near the Belkh River. It was not possible to carry out his plan for the Bzhedugians, since the Khan, with the help of Elbozd, had guessed the plan. The night attack on the Sahib-Gereya camp ended with the defeat of the Bzhedug, although Remmal-Khoja especially noted their resilience and courage. As we know from the message of the Russian messenger, Sahib-Gerey returned through the army and prisoners through Temryuk and Kerch, and this means through the West Adg lands, which almost certainly were again devastated. So, 1545g. a strong blow was dealt to both the Western Adygs (Zhane and Bzhedug) and to Kabardians ”(52, p.108) From this message, we can conclude that in the 16th century. Kabardians have already migrated from the areas of the Azov Sea region, closer to the West Adig tribes of the Bzheduk and Zhane people, whose lands were located in the Western Caucasus.
4. Jean de Luc. The Italian monk of the Dominican Order in his work "Description of the Perekop and Nogai Tatars, Circassians, Mingrelians and Georgians, Jean de Luc, Monk of the Dominican Order (1625)" writes about Cherkessia and Kabarda:
"In their country, there are two significant rivers, of which one, flowing into the sea, the Kuban, is called Psi, and the other (Terek) passes near Kabarda."
This message, compiled in 1625, directly indicates that the Terek River is located near Kabarda, and does not flow through its territory.
VN Kudashev, knowing the folk legends, wrote:
“From all the various stories one can make, thus, only one conclusion: the Kabardians were not the original inhabitants of Kabarda, but they moved here somewhere”.
In the Big Soviet Encyclopedia, 1936 edition, it is indicated that Kabardians appeared on the territory of their modern residence at the beginning of the 16th century, but there is also a reservation that “according to some sources, even later”. The most probable date of arrival of Kabardians to the territory of Pyatigorsk is the beginning of the 17th century, but due to the constant attacks of the Crimean Khan, their stay in this area was not long.
The book of memoirs of Kabardian prince K. Atazhukin says that when Kabardians came to Malaya Kabarda, the Nogais lived there, this is also confirmed by archaeological monuments dating from the 15th-17th centuries.
In the historical memory of the Kabardian people, the legend of the first resettlement from the Western Caucasus is preserved. In 1881, the historical legend about the relocation of Kabard Tambiyev was recorded by K. Kashezhev. This legend tells that Kabardians used to live in the North-West Caucasus. Cabard Tambiyev was pristine prince Bolotokov. Because of the exorbitant demands of the prince, he and his people leave, and settles on the left bank of Malka. At that time, as the legend says, these lands belonged to the Kalmyks. Kabard Tambiev enters into an agreement with the Khan of the Kalmyks, and he leaves these lands with his horde. K.Tambiev allegedly remains the owner of the land, and gradually new groups of Adygs began to arrive here and the Kabardian people were formed. ("Folklore of the Circassians". Nalchik, 1990. pp. 197-202.).
It should be noted that Kalmyks appeared beyond the Volga in the 17th century, and even later in the Caucasus.
Russian documents give a much clearer and more consistent picture. In a brief description of the history of the Kabardian people, compiled by the former commandant of the fortress of Holy Cross, D. F. Eropkin, in 1732 (apparently based on the questioning of princes and old-timers) states:
“In the ancient years (and, how many years ago, no one knows), a small number of Cherkasy people crossed from the Polish Little Russians voluntarily to mountain places, and then the mountain Circassians were called and originally they lived in the headwaters of two Kum near five mountains. And in the time of their existence in those places came to those Circassians from different countries and from Russia of every rank people, whom the Circassians of that kind took to their lackeys. And in those days, those Circassians were moving to different places to steal, and were given masculine and feminine sex; and after a few years after the breeding of this people, the old-time Circassians who had emerged, the old people, who had their serfs for breeding, were called Uzdens (that is, nobles).
And further: "And these Circassians wandered in the long summer passing along the rivers Turku, along Qom, along the Kuban and near those places where the Turkish cities of Temryuk and Taman were." (KRO, vol. 2, p. 78).
As we see, here we are talking not about the territory of present-day Kabardino-Balkaria, but about the steppes of Stavropol and the Azov region. This is confirmed by the information of the modern historian A.M. Nekrasov:
“It is rather curious that the Remhalhoja message about the annual arrival of bzhedug in Kabarda for conducting field work. According to later data, the bzhedughs lived in the mountains south of the Khatukayevites, i.e. at a considerable distance from Kabarda. " (“International relations and peoples of the Western Caucasus”, M., p. 108, 1990).
In this case, a comment is required. How bzhedugi living in the mouth of the Kuban, twice a year went to Kabarda for 600 km. for spring plowing, sowing and harvesting the autumn harvest? At that time there were no highways in the Caucasus. Another question arises: how did they bring the harvest home? It is impossible to answer these questions from the traditional position on the location of Kabarda in the Central Caucasus. Kabarda was not far from the lands of the Bzhedug, only in this case they could rent land from Kabardians. This is confirmed by other information. In Russian sources the ethnonym "bzhedugi" appears only in the XVIII century. The document of 1718 informs that “behind Kabarda there are six townships in which the Circassians live in another language; and of those in Hatukai and in Zhadu, he, Bahty-Giray, is partly believed. ” (KRO, t, II, p.19) This same tribe is named in the Russian documents of the 40s of the same century - bzheduhi (bzhedugi). (NG Volkov "Ethnonyms and tribal names of the North Caucasus", M., p.39, 1973)
These data are consistent with the document number 12. From the article list of the Russian messenger to Turkey I.P. Novoseltseva about negotiations with Turkish Pasha Maamet in 1570: “And Ivan said. - From Kabarda to Beslenei versts with 500, and that land went far away from Cherkas (approximately, this is the Terek delta, - NB), which your sovereign bowed and served, and did not own that land, where the city of Turka became, chant Temruck nihto "(KRO, T.1, p.23).
Unsubscribe from the Terek voivode I.ADashkov and his comrades to the Ambassadorial order on the exploration of silver ore deposits in 1629. One of the first mentions of Balkarians in the gorge is Tashly-tala, in Russian documents. Judging by the answer (to send military men), the Balkars were not under the sovereign's hand.
In 1633, the Kabardian murza of Tatarkhan, who served in the city of Terek, asked the brothers to give him permission to fish in the Terek canals, “co-op with the city people of Terek, Russian people”. (T. 1, p. 169). From the context of this document, it can be argued that during this period of time, the Kabardian nomad camp was located at the mouth of the Terek. Moreover, based on the information of subsequent events, we can consider this as another move of Kabardians to the area of the river Kuma and Pyatigorsk.
From the petitional murza of Mutsal Sunchaleevich about rewarding him for swearing in Kazyeva Kabarda in 1643.
“... And the Kabardian, the sovereign, Aleguk and Chojdozhduk Murza and Small Nogai Murza told him that they were at your state’s grace to go without disobedience, but now it’s impossible to go, they wander away, and the Turks and Crimean soldiers in the big fence, and only they (Kabardians, -N.B.) will go to the Terek, and they, they will detain them and destroy them. And so de, sovereign to go with them from the Terek for a contract on the river Kourou to me, your lackeys Mutsalka, and their cabs to go to the Five Mountains.
... And I, your slave, from the Cossack from the Verkhneva of the Cherlensky town went to Aleguk and Chodduzduk murza on the river Kuru "(V.1, pp. 236-237).
From the reply of the Terek governor M.I. Volynsky in Ambassadorial order to bring to the coat (oath) Kaziyoy Kabarda. This document is notable for the fact that Karachais are mentioned there in the Pyatigorsk area in 1643.
“... we, your serfs, were sent to Kabarda to be accompanied with a newly baptized with Petrunka Ondreyev. And in the inquiry we, your servants, were told that on the Kum River on the Modzhar Settlement they were crushed by the Don Cossacks, the horses were driven away and they were all beaten, and they took the new Petrunka alive and took him with him, and he de Chuvayko, the very third from that battle they had escaped into the forest; and went to Kabarda along the Qom rivers at night. And in Kabarda, sovereign, under the Five Mountains, they were taken by the Karachai Circassians, and from those Karachai Circassians they were taken by Aleguk Murza Shaganukov to their pubs and kept for themselves. And as de, sovereign, they came from Terek to Aleguk and Chojdozhduk murza in the tavern son of boyar Ondrei Senin yes interpreter Grishka Ortemyev, and he de, Aleguka Murza, with them let them go to Terek "
This document is important because it first mentions Karachai – Karachayev Circassians who lived near Pyatigorsk in 1643. BBPiotrovsky writes about this: “In the area of Beshtau, to the west of the territory of the Basivbiyev, there were spring bazaars where trade people came from different places” (109, p.356). As the ethnonym Basian is known, the Basianbians called the Balkarians.
From the reply of Terek voevoda, MP Volynsky, to negotiations with Murzy Kaziyeva Kabarda to transfer their taverns closer to the Terek town in 1644.
“And we, your serfs, sent Mutsal-Murza from Terek to Kabarda to escort the Terek cavalry centurion Streletsky Mikhail Molchanov with mounted archers and from Novokresheny and okochany. And with him, in Kabarda and in Maliy Nogai, they wrote that they single-handedly went to their former nomad camps closer to Tersk town without any stirring ... "(V.1, p.248-250)
From the reply of M.P. Volyn:
“Both Aleguk and Khozhdduk Murza told him, Mutsalu, that they were your sovereigns, and now de Euro, Mutsalov, they plowed arable land on the Crimean side beyond the Kuban River and they couldn’t go to the city closer to Terek ...
... And for much, de, sovereign, time, Aleguk and Khodduzduk Murza, were dissuaded to wander beyond the Kuban River, and their former nomad camps were not closer to Tersk town ...
Kabardian Aleguka and Khotozduka Murza Kaziyev, with their own taverns and Murza Maly Nogaya from the Uluses, from the Crimean side, from behind the Kuban River, switched to their former nomads closer to the Tersky town on the Kumu River. (Thus, the former nomads of Kabardians, from where they, under the leadership of Aleguki Khodzduki, crossed over to the Crimean side, beyond the Kuban, were not in the current Big Kabarda, but on the Kume River, NB)
... he, Mutsal-murza, to you, the sovereign, served, and Kabardian Aleguk and Chozdduku murz and murz of Maliy Nogai, who were alone with him, uttered and led to the fact that they were with kabaks and with all the ulus people, with all their possession, from the Crimean side, under Beslan, because of the Kuban River, they moved to your sovereign ancestral land to the city of Tersk and began to wander from the uluses along the Kum river and near their old town, from the city of Tersk in only four bottoms.
... And he took, Mutsal, that amanat brought to his city of Tersk and his brother Aleguku-murzu and Budaicheva's wife and children and his taverns with all his possession from Aleguki-murza took him and planted along the Suu side of the Kuma river, from the Alegukins and the Khozhdukino kabaks from the middle of the bottom near the city, in the lining on the river Byuhukhuke before your sovereign decree, for the time being for Evo, Mutsalov, blessing you, sire, to transfer their taverns to the Sunshu river ... ”(v.1, p.248-250).
Memory from the order of the Kazan Palace in the Ambassadorial order (1674).
And the Crimean Khan wrote to Musost (Kaziyev, Kabardian prince; NB) with brothers and nephews, so that they would go to their old nomads on the Kumu River and on Balk and on Besht” (V.1, p.334 )

A document has already been quoted above, which states that from “Kabarda to Beslenei, i.e. to the Kuban "versts with 500"; thus, Kabarda at that time was somewhere in the region of the present lowland part of Chechnya, Ingushetia and Northern Dagestan, near the lower reaches of the Terek, Kuma and Sunzha. These data are also confirmed when analyzing information about neighboring nations. For example, Karachaevans and Svans are mentioned only once, Balkarians and Ossetians twice, while Cossacks, Kumyks, Nogays (large and small), Kalmyks, Dagestanis, Chechens and Ingushs (okochane, Mick, Shato, shubut). Kabardians roamed the steppes between the Terek delta, Kuma, and Pyatigorsk, the transition from a semi-nomadic way of life and their settlement in the present territory began in 1720.
KRO, Volume II.
It should be noted that documents relating to the period 1689-1711. Ie, precisely by the time when Kabardians, pressed from the north by Kalmyks and Nogais, from the east by Kumyks and Chechens, from the west - by the Crimeans, were forced to retreat into the present territory, for two reasons they don’t.
From the letter of Kabardian prince Arslanbek to Peter I (1723).
“From the past years, your Majesty's fathers and our grandfathers allowed us to live in Turki, and Kumyks were never allowed to live here; I humbly ask, in order to continue to be an inheritance from our relatives on Terka, and that there should be no presence here for Kumyks ”(V.2, p.38).
Another statement about Kabardians, drawn up on the testimony of several Kabardian nobles, dates back to 1732:
“... ago, dear to this, Kabardians allegedly lived along the Kume River and served as a Russian sovereign, and in the city of Terek they gave Amanat with a change, but they do not remember, and at that time they had a son, the elder Prince Masaus Kaziev, according to it Tenzbey, Bek-Murza, Kazi Masaus and others; and they sent de from themselves often to Moscow to the Russian sovereign for ambassadors for a salary; and at that time, fearing the Kuban (Nogai), so that they would not be ruined, Kabardians yasyrei were given to Crimea instead of tribute a year to ten people, and then quarreling among themselves Kabardians and one of them, Bek-Murza, killing two owners, the Tanbeyevs children, went to the Crimea and begged troops from the Crimean Khan there, during which the commander Sawat-weights Sultan came, Circassian all the princes and with their subordinates were cast into full and transferred to the Orb River (modern Urup. - note) and there they were settled ”; and further:
“... and having lived, the de Kabardians, after taking them to the full Orbe River, went a little to the Kuban River, and from the Kuban, on the other side of the Kuban, to the Chilchik River, and from Chilchik, they went along the same side of the Kuma River to the Purgusat River (present-day Burgustan. - approx.), and from the river Purgusat they went on their own to Beshtou (to the Five Mountains), where their homes had been before, and settled there for a while; and then, hearing that the Crimean army was heading for them, and being afraid, they, the Circassians, went to a strong place, to the mountains on the Baksan River ”(vol. 2, p. 64).
The Kabardian ambassador Magomet Atazhukin told about the same thing in the College of Foreign Affairs in March 1732:
“... he came, Bek-Murza, with the Crimean Shahbaz-Girey Khan to take them, Pyatigorsk owners, with all possession in the Crimea. And then these owners all left; alone in the Kalmyk uluses to Ayuk Khan, and in the Kumyks; and the vile people took all the Crimean Shahbaz-Girey Khan, drove to the Kuban, and then their Pyatigorsk owners called for him to the Kuban. And with the advice of Kalmyk Ayuki Khan, the new owners, both from him and the lawyers, all went to the Kuban. And how many years he lived there, Mahomet Bek, does not remember that. Then, as the war began with Russia with the Turks and the Crimeans, at that time the Ayuki Khan Kalmyk army came to the Kuban Pyatigorsk city owners with all their possession and took them to Baksan ”(KRO, vol. 2, p. 59).

if I find some time, I would like to read it. thanks

I. Made a rough map of the Western part of the North Caucasus. Circassians will be a confederation, which his father bequeathed to obey Temryuk. Their sacred place will be in Abkhazia, where their father Inal Nesu (Light) is buried.
The most important tribe will be Temirgoi - Kemirgoi, ruled by Temryuk Inalid - "the man of the iron heart", who removed his father
The rest will be his vassals:
1) Beslem Inalid - Besleney,
2) Tobulda Inalid - Kabarda,
3) Zanoko Inalid - Shapsugia,
4) Zhane Inalid - Khegaki.
5) Khotoko Inalid - Natukhay

II. Kipchak immigrants from Majar to Alania will be commanded by Basiat. They will oppose the Alans. Basian culture will be Alan. Basiat will have a technological advantage in the form of firearms
The history and legends about the relocation of Balkarians and Karachais are available in Russian 1) http://www.vostlit.info/Texts/Dokumenty/Kavkaz/XIX/1880-1900/Miller_V/text1.htm,
2) https://web.facebook.com/groups/tarihibiz/permalink/1918921275055859/?_rdc=1&_rd

III. Circassian dynasty in the Crimean Gothia. 1403-1475 http://www.kavkazoved.info/news/2011/03/30/cherkesskaja-dinastija-v-krymskoj-gotii-1403-1475.html

ce11d462ba97.png

Last edited:
I. Made a rough map of the Western part of the North Caucasus. Circassians will be a confederation, which his father bequeathed to obey Temryuk. Their sacred place will be in Abkhazia, where their father Inal Nesu (Light) is buried.
The most important tribe will be Temirgoi - Kemirgoi, ruled by Temryuk Inalid - "the man of the iron heart", who removed his father

II. Kipchak immigrants from Majar to Alania will be commanded by Basiat. They will oppose the Alans. Basian culture will be Alan. Basiat will have a technological advantage in the form of firearms
The history and legends about the relocation of Balkarians and Karachais are available in Russian 1) http://www.vostlit.info/Texts/Dokumenty/Kavkaz/XIX/1880-1900/Miller_V/text1.htm,
2) https://web.facebook.com/groups/tarihibiz/permalink/1918921275055859/?_rdc=1&_rd

III. Circassian dynasty in the Crimean Gothia. 1403-1475 http://www.kavkazoved.info/news/2011/03/30/cherkesskaja-dinastija-v-krymskoj-gotii-1403-1475.html

ce11d462ba97.png

Very helpful this information, I have to find some time to study it.

and do you have information about the symbols of these tribes or flags ? Without them it is difficult to create a country

Very helpful this information, I have to find some time to study it.

and do you have information about the symbols of these tribes or flags ? Without them it is difficult to create a country
Well, not everyone will have historical flags

1) The trophy flag of Natukhai captured by the Russians in the Caucasian War
1287557009_nathuay_nyp_2.jpg

2) Shapsug Flag
shapsug.jpg

3) Flag of Abaza

1000px-Flag_of_Abazinia.svg.png

4) Banner of United Inalids
32332241.jpg

5) The banner of Inalid, Prince Kuchuk Zhankhotov, the last valiy of Kabarda
Reconstruction based on legends and folklore materials.
23939322.jpg

The rest do not have historical flags.
The flag of Circassia was created in 1830 by an Englishman during the Caucasian War. Each asterisk means a tribe of 12
2511805.jpg

The rest do not have a historical flag. But there are clan tamgas https://vk.com/album-41673838_161025067

NAosH7aZqsA.jpg

Besleney Tamgas https://vk.com/circassian_tamgi
1.Agan, Agen
2.Altyyak, Altyak
3.Armani
4.Armani
5.Armani
6.Armani
7.Arslanoglu
8. Bekan, Bekan
9. Bekan, Bekan
10. Billaruk
11. Bogups
12. Bora, Bor, Boray
13. Dohushok, Dohushokyu
14. Junket, Janchat
15.Esaney, Esseny
16.Esaney, Esseny
17.Esaney, Esseny
18. Ilaric, Ilaryku
19. Canock, Qaneku
20. Canock, Qaneku
21. Quanuk, Kuanykyu
22.Quanuk, Kyuanyku
23. Karamirzok, Käemyrzekyu
24. Karamirzok, Qaramirzeku
25. Katgan, Katgan
26. Katmes, Qatmes
27. Katmes, Qatmes
28.Kibok
29. Kopyl
30. Kopyl
31. Kurada, Kurede
32. Kurada, Kurede
33. Kurada, Kurede
34.Kuralei, Kureleley
35. Kurgok, Kygzhueku
36.Lah, Lah
37. Mafeshok, MefeshIuku
38. Sait
39.Sapiy, Sapy
40. Sanashok, Sanashekkyu
41. Sanashok, Sanashekkyu
42. Sanashok, Sanashekkyu
43. Sanashok, Sanashekkyu
44.Taganok, Tygünykyu
45.Taganok, Tygünykyu
46.Taganok, Tygünykyu
47.Tkhazartok, Tkhazertykyu
48.Tazartuko, Tezertykyu
49.Tazartuko, Tezertykyu
50.Taus, Taus
51.Taus, Taus
52.Tlobych
53 Thayutsuk, ThieitsIyhu
54.Thakushyn, ThyakIushyun
55.The Father, Wetz
56.Pshiz, Przyz
57.Pshiz, Przyz
58.Hackup
59. Hamuk, Khamyk
60. Kharchoko
61. Hatezhuk, Khatezhkyku
62.Hahushoko
63.Hashdjako
64.Hot, Khot
65. Chepel, Chapel
66. Chepel, Chapel
67. Shajray, Shajray
68. Shikalok, Shykaleku
69. Shikalok, Shykaleku
70. Shikalok, Shykaleku
71.Sheujen, Schojen
71.Sheujen, Schojen

SI7Bcndb_w8.jpg

eaKis1L87lU.jpg

Temirgoy tamgas

1.Bolotok, Boletyku
2.Bolotok, Boletyk'u
3.Bolotok (Psyzhzh)
4. Bishte, Byshte
5.Healthy, Deguzhiy
6.Healthy, Deguzhiy
7. Deguzhiek, Daguzhkyeku
8. Zaurimuk, Zaurymyk
9. Zharimok, Zhormemyku
10. Zharimok, Zhormemyku
11. Kaitmes, Kaitmes
12. Kaitmes, Kaitmes
13. Kaitmes, Kaitmes
14.Tliupko, LIyupko
15. Mat, Mat
16.Mat, Mat
17. Mahosh, Mahosh
18. Pack, PackIeku
19.Habakir, Hjabkir
20.Hatuk, Khatyku
21. hahushok, khyakhushusheku
22.Hachemiz, HyakImyz
23. Chuntyzh, TsuntIyzh
24. Chuntyzh, TsuntIyzh
25. Shao, Shao
26.Shao, Shao
27. Shauk, Shauku
28. Shiko, Shyku

uZcXohPCS94.jpg

UBYKH TAMGAS

1. Berzeg
2. Berzeg
3. Berzeg
4. Berzeg
5. Berzeg
6. Berzeg
7. Berzeg
8. Berzeg
9. Zhey, Zhiey
10. Pasamayo
11. That
12. Khunje
13. Khunje
14. Buzd, Elbuzd

1N3gtdhhN2w.jpg

On your map you can make Kabardinia Basiania. And Balkaria renamed Digoria. Karachays and Balkars were one of the Kipchaks (Kumans) people. Then, upon arrival, they were divided by the names of the rivers Karasu (Black River) and Malkar

Coat of arms of Digoria
digora7.gif

Flag of Karachay-Balkarian people (Basiania)
alanskiy-flag-karachay-malkar.jpg

Last edited:

ce11d462ba97.png

When I was travelling home tonight I took the time to read through most, but not all, of the posts you made in the past few days. There are some several interesting perspectives brought up, but it lacks a level of reflexivity, uses several dubious sources, very pro-adyge sources and presents a confused itmeline. Some more careful deliberation would have been much needed to make a suggestion inspired b those sources. You should really curate your posts better, it would make it a whole lot easier to read and consider.

Problem is that there are many conflicting sources, due to the lack of coherent primary sources, and often biasad narratives it's difficult to make exact assertions about tribal areas like these.

While the migration of Adyge tribes from the kuban river towards east lead to the formation of the Kabardian people is correct, the dating is difficult to assert.
Circassian historian Kadir I. Nathor (with a dfistinct patriotic leaning, for example treating prince Inal as a historical character)) suggests this migration did happen gradually as a result of the mongol destruction of medieval Alania (https://books.google.se/books?id=eE...mmary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=prince inal&f=false read from page 95)
And even the sources you discuss are giving conflicting dates, one source saying 16th century, other 18th century.

This article discusses the potential legendary basis for prince Inal https://www.academia.edu/22754388/Г...КИХ_МАМЛЮКОВ_GENEALOGICAL_LEGENDS_ABOUT_INAL_AND_THEIR_RELATIONSHIP_WITH_THE_LEGENDARY_VERSIONS_OF_THE_ORIGIN_OF_THE_CIRCASSIAN_MAMLUKS

To sum up a bit: You seem to be right in the general idea that In game Kuban province have had circassian culture, which at some point between 1300-1800 migrated east. Giving the nature of EUIV, which has a precedent at simplifying tribal areas and often using anachronistic set ups. I will maintain that @Aramenian s initial set up with Zichia (using genoan sources), Adyge and Kabardia makes for the most practical set up, which merges the the fogs of the forgotten past with the known timeline.

Having a series of OPM's based on semi-legendary figures which can not even be pinpointed to exact chronology is a dubious solution.

Getting more concrete sources on the kuban province, maybe make it circassian is possible (and have event for the migration of the nogai horde)

@Aramenian

Dvaleti and the Darial Gorge were under Kartlian control, so I'd suggest updating the border in the caucasus mountains

Personally I think of Kartli-Kakheti as excessive and unnecessary (and also have high doubts it would ever be considered to be included in the game)

My thoughts are that Caucasus Imamate should be formable by any muslim caucasus nation, and instead of asking for specific provinces, ask for % development in the caucasus region (they are planning something along these lines in upcoming expansion, so we can see that new precedent they set then)

Akhtsag province works well, I'm thinking of Terek province can be moved to another area, Maybe even shouldn't be part of Caucasus at this time but rather pontic steppe and have turkic culture

Dvaleti and the Darial Gorge were under Kartlian control, so I'd suggest updating the border in the caucasus mountains

the mtianeti province is already under control, Kartli
Kartli development is 29
Samtskhe development is 29
Imereti development 33
kakheti development 19
kakheti.jpg
I'm thinking about adding a new province for kakheti, Because development 19 is not enough I would like it to be 26 development.
thanks to the addition of a new province. I can move the province of mtianeti to the kartli area.

Personally I think of Kartli-Kakheti as excessive and unnecessary (and also have high doubts it would ever be considered to be included in the game)
As for adding to the usual Kartli-Kakheti game, I agree that it is unlikely that he will enter the game.
My thoughts are that Caucasus Imamate should be formable by any muslim caucasus nation, and instead of asking for specific provinces, ask for % development in the caucasus region (they are planning something along these lines in upcoming expansion, so we can see that new precedent they set then)

As for the Caucasus, the Imamate should in my opinion be formable by the North Caucasus states. The requirement should be that the country be Muslim.

Akhtsag province works well, I'm thinking of Terek province can be moved to another area, Maybe even shouldn't be part of Caucasus at this time but rather pontic steppe and have turkic culture

The province of Terek should probably have the culture of Astrakhani .

Two sources talk about the same event http://www.vostlit.info/Texts/Dokumenty/Kavkaz/XV/1480-1500/Zapadno_evrop_put_dag/text.phtml.
In 1486, a Muslim campaign was launched against the Christians. They suffered a terrible defeat from the Kabardinians and Temirgoy (Kremuch) of the northeastern shores of the Black Sea

THE TRAVEL OF A SOME MERCHANT TO PERSIA

“... Having entered the reign, Alamut Sultan [vol. e. Sultan-Yakub Ak-Koyunlu, son of Uzun Hassan] wished to return Sheikh Haidar (Sekaidar) to Cherkasy, as a man accustomed to the campaign against Christians. [He] gathered his people and went on the road to Shemakha, and came there after 8 days, and went on the way to Derbent, where there is a passage to Cherkasy, and they were on the road for 5 days. As soon as the news came to the Sultan of Alamut and his barons that Sheikh Khaidar with an army of 4-5 thousand Sufis went to Cherkasy to ruin this people, and many volunteers went there with great hope to receive great booty, he suddenly sent a message to the king of this country having some fear of him [t. e. Sheikh Haidar] due to the fact that Sheikh Haidar has such a number of people, sent him [t. e. to the king] to say that he would make some efforts so that he would not miss it, because the Sheikh Haidar with the Sufis in this place already in the past year caused a rather large loss [though] and lost half of the people: so [Sultan-Yakub ] was afraid that they would not do the same again: for this reason he decided to cut him 1 [t e. Sheikh-Haidar] the way so that he does not leave to increase his power, as he did every day, moving to Cherkasy, because everyone willingly moved after him, craving for prey, so that in a short time | f86B | he could become a great lord and would become a condottiere (literally “knight of fortune” - capitana di ventura - A.K.).

Finally, Sheikh Khaidar came to Derbent and saw that the passage was closed by order of the Alamut Sultan. Derbent is a large city and, as follows from its chronicles, was created by Alexander the Great: a mile wide, three m long, has the Caspian Sea on one side and a large mountain on the other that no one can go through unless the gates of the city, because the sea is located in its eastern part, and the mountain is very impregnable to the west [116], so even cats cannot get there. This city was named Derbent in the Persian language, which in our opinion means "iron gate", and anyone who wants to go to Cherkasy should go through this city, which borders Cherkasy, and most of which (i.e. its inhabitants ) is busted, and they speak both Cherkasy and Turkish.

Sheikh Khaidar, seeing this, that is, that he was forbidden to pass, as was said, came from this in terrible anger, and began to attack the castle and besieged this passage; and there were some business people in this city who, beingware of fighting with the Sufis, hastily sent news to the king of the country [vol. e. Shirvanshahu Farrukh-Yassar], warning him of misfortunes, and he, having learned the news, came straight to Alamut, who was in Tabriz, and this one called all his barons, ordering them to gather people and that there were about 10,000 fighters "they went against Sheikh Haidar and in a few days came to Derbent, where he attacked the fortress."

GIOSAFAT BARBARO JOURNEY OF THE VENEERED VENETIAN CITIZEN TO PERSIA, PART TWO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giosafat_Barbar

| f109A |

“... and this whole section [between the Baku and the Great Seas, that is, between the Caspian and the Black] is full of mountains and valleys, perfectly inhabited in some places by several small rulers (signorotti) - there is no one who dares to enter them territories for fear of being robbed, but for the most part they are uninhabited ”...

“... the brothers of St. Francis and some of our Latin priests went there. The peoples who live in these places are called Caitacchi, as mentioned above, they speak a language unlike others, many of them are Christians, some of whom believe in Greek, some in Armenian, and others in Catholic "...

| f109B |

“... I believe that it will be appropriate to tell one new and interesting story concerning our faith - about the brother of Vincenzo from the Order of San Dominico, a native of Caffa, who was sent to this cause for these matters, and he had already left for 10 months there: this man, having left the country of the Sultan [117] (Soldano), met a Mohammedan sect, shouting death to Christians according to their faith, and then, going to Persia and increasing in number, these robbers went to the Baku Sea and came to Shemakha, and then to Derbent, and from there to Tumen and partly on horseback, partly on foot, partly in armed, partly without weapons and in huge numbers, they moved to the stream called Terkh, which was located in the province of Elohtsi, entered the Caspian mountains, where there are many Christian Catholics, and in every place where they found Christians, they killed everyone without regret: women , men, small and adult, and after that they went down to the country of Gog and Magog, and since these were also Christians, but in the Greek manner, they did something similar with these. Then they turned to Cherkasy, going to the Shipa Piha and Karbatey, which are both located on the Great Sea [v. e. on the Black Sea], and similarly acted with these places, until the people from Tetrakossa and Kremukha met hand-to-hand and made such a roar as if a hundred winds had fallen: and they [t. e. the raiders] ran away at this unkind hour to their country. Zikhi [t. e. one of the peoples of the Adyghe group] could understand the difficult situation the Christians who lived around found themselves in - this was in 1486.

I’ll say one thing about Derbent that seems fantastic: when you leave one gate, in a certain place, just under the wall there are ... fruits of all kinds and even almonds, and from the other gate there are no fruits, not a single tree, excluding wild quinces trees, and it lasts 10-15 and 20 miles in this country, and even further.

I saw, being in this place, in one cellar two anchors of 800 or more livres, they showed me very large vessels in this country: at present, the largest anchors that are available are 150 or at most 200 livres one. ”

When I was travelling home tonight I took the time to read through most, but not all, of the posts you made in the past few days. There are some several interesting perspectives brought up, but it lacks a level of reflexivity, uses several dubious sources, very pro-adyge sources and presents a confused itmeline. Some more careful deliberation would have been much needed to make a suggestion inspired b those sources. You should really curate your posts better, it would make it a whole lot easier to read and consider.

Problem is that there are many conflicting sources, due to the lack of coherent primary sources, and often biasad narratives it's difficult to make exact assertions about tribal areas like these.

While the migration of Adyge tribes from the kuban river towards east lead to the formation of the Kabardian people is correct, the dating is difficult to assert.
Circassian historian Kadir I. Nathor (with a dfistinct patriotic leaning, for example treating prince Inal as a historical character)) suggests this migration did happen gradually as a result of the mongol destruction of medieval Alania (https://books.google.se/books?id=eE2pDLgibVoC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=prince inal&f=false read from page 95)
And even the sources you discuss are giving conflicting dates, one source saying 16th century, other 18th century.

This article discusses the potential legendary basis for prince Inal https://www.academia.edu/22754388/ГЕНЕАЛОГИЧЕСКИЕ_ПРЕДАНИЯ_ОБ_ИНАЛЕ_И_ИХ_СВЯЗЬ_С_ЛЕГЕНДАРНЫМИ_ВЕРСИЯМИ_ПРОИСХОЖДЕНИЯ_ЧЕРКЕССКИХ_МАМЛЮКОВ_GENEALOGICAL_LEGENDS_ABOUT_INAL_AND_THEIR_RELATIONSHIP_WITH_THE_LEGENDARY_VERSIONS_OF_THE_ORIGIN_OF_THE_CIRCASSIAN_MAMLUKS

To sum up a bit: You seem to be right in the general idea that In game Kuban province have had circassian culture, which at some point between 1300-1800 migrated east. Giving the nature of EUIV, which has a precedent at simplifying tribal areas and often using anachronistic set ups. I will maintain that @Aramenian s initial set up with Zichia (using genoan sources), Adyge and Kabardia makes for the most practical set up, which merges the the fogs of the forgotten past with the known timeline.

Having a series of OPM's based on semi-legendary figures which can not even be pinpointed to exact chronology is a dubious solution.

Getting more concrete sources on the kuban province, maybe make it circassian is possible (and have event for the migration of the nogai horde)
Circassian authors exaggerate the eastern border. Discovery of Circassia. Cartographic sources of the XIV-XIX centuries. https://www.academia.edu/22852642/Открытие_Черкесии._Картографические_источники_XIV-XIX_вв
The first to arrive in Alanya are the Kipchaks, not the Kabardians, whose legend I brought
The eastern border of Circassia.
Caverteans of Giosafat Barbaro, 1452
Giosafat Barbaro recorded the resettlement of Kabardinians east of the Circassian princedom Kremuk through three princedoms or sub-ethnic divisions: “Different peoples dwell in Kremukh, within a short distance from one another, such as the Kippiks, Tatakozites, Sobaytsy, Kaverteians and As or Alans” . (Barbaro I. Journey to Tanu // ABKIEA. S. 42).
Kremuk is reliably associated with Temirgoi. Accordingly, we make a report from the eastern border of the culture of the Belorechensky mounds, i.e. from the Laba River in its middle course. What territories were occupied by Kippiks, Sobay, Tatakozites we do not know, but even if each tribe had a narrow strip of land 50 - 70 kilometers, stretched along the Main Range, then the western limits of the Kabardins began 150-200 kilometers from Laba. So it was in the following centuries.
The source says that Kabardians are followed by Alans or Ases. Indeed, behind Kabarda the remnants of the Alans should have begun in the person later known to us Ossetia. Interiano says that the Circassian lands stretch east for eight days. In our opinion, a day on horseback made it possible to overcome a 100-kilometer distance. Moreover, the right bank of the Kuban is devoid of rivers and naturally had a highway from west to east of the North Caucasus. The right bank of the Kuban during this period was inhabited in some places by Adygs and the borders of Kremuk and other Circassian principalities went to the right bank. It can be assumed that the inhabitants of the Trans-Kuban region were transported to the right bank for a faster ride, since the Trans-Kuban River itself is covered by a mass of rivers with even more numerous tributaries. For three days, Barbaro covered the distance from Tana at the mouth of the Don to Kremuk - this is more than 300 kilometers. Then the length of Circassia to the east in 1500 was 800 kilometers. This is approximately the modern Psedah in Chechnya.
The day of the journey is a measure of distance in the former possessions of the Mongolian ulus. This measure is 20 kilometers, not 100 kilometers. According to Pekarsky's dictionary in the Yakut language https://sakhatyla.ru/books/pekarskiy-1/622: at kös (Horse daylight distance) is 10 versta. 1 versta (Old Russian measure of length) is 2,16 kilometers.
You may argue that the 1 day of the transition in the Golden Horde was different from the Yakut length measure. To this I answer that the word "kosa" was a measure of length in the Mughal Empire (Babur). Day distance running horse - 28 kilometers.
But in 1552, Kabarda settled where the province of Terek is on your map https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacomo_Gastaldi.
Neighbors are called Balkars and Karachais, Kara-Circassians (Black Circassians). So the name Cherkess on the lands of modern Kabarda should not be confused

Last edited:
. This city was named Derbent in the Persian language, which in our opinion means "iron gate", and anyone who wants to go to Cherkasy should go through this city, which borders Cherkasy, and most of which (i.e. its inhabitants ) is busted, and they speak both Cherkasy and Turkish.

According to James Forsyth, author of 'The Caucasus a History' cherkess/circassians were often used by italians for all land north of caucasus, something the article you linked confirms (vostlit).

The source says that Kabardians are followed by Alans or Ases. Indeed, behind Kabarda the remnants of the Alans should have begun in the person later known to us Ossetia. Interiano says that the Circassian lands stretch east for eight days. I

No matter how we interpret the distance, the source still places Kabardians in front of Alans

But in 1552, Kabarda settled where the province of Terek is

Looking at the map in the wikipedia link, it is not particular detailed, but indicates a kabardian presence in central-east caucasus.

All in all those primary sources are confused and seemed to be based on hearsay and doesn't even have the same conclusion.

Now I'm reading your source translated to swedish so I can't make quotes from it, but it's not at all as straightforward as you put it.

Barbaro var inte heller ett ögonvittne om händelserna: han återvände till Italien 1479, det vill säga åtta år före kampanjen 1487,

Barbaro was not an eyewitness to the campaign, he returned to taly in 1479, 8 years before the campaign

Alla toponymer i detta meddelande av Barbaro är mycket vaga och kan inte lokaliseras 18 , så det är omöjligt att fastställa vägen för denna muslimska raid. Det är bara tydligt att angriparna passerade genom Derbent och sedan flyttade till nordväst nästan till Nordkusten av Svarta havet.

All toponyms in this message by Barbaro are very vague and can not be localized, so it is impossible to establish the path for this muslim raid. It is only clear that the attackers passed through derbent and then moved northwest almost to the shores of the black sea

This is why using books by established historians are far better than trying to interpret primary sources by oneself. The reliability of primary sources needs to be tested by professionals, and even then there can be a lot of dispute. I'm not saying you are necessarily wrong, but you selection of sources are erratic with little solid evidence and I'm in support of the status que for simplicity, and game balance as, even if there is the possibility that the status que is wrong, but I think providing well established osurces by historians are the way to go here, not making a selection of primary sources trying to make an argument on ones own.

According to James Forsyth, author of 'The Caucasus a History' cherkess/circassians were often used by italians for all land north of caucasus, something the article you linked confirms (vostlit).

No matter how we interpret the distance, the source still places Kabardians in front of Alans

Looking at the map in the wikipedia link, it is not particular detailed, but indicates a kabardian presence in central-east caucasus.

All in all those primary sources are confused and seemed to be based on hearsay and doesn't even have the same conclusion.

Now I'm reading your source translated to swedish so I can't make quotes from it, but it's not at all as straightforward as you put it.

Barbaro was not an eyewitness to the campaign, he returned to taly in 1479, 8 years before the campaign

All toponyms in this message by Barbaro are very vague and can not be localized, so it is impossible to establish the path for this muslim raid. It is only clear that the attackers passed through derbent and then moved northwest almost to the shores of the black sea

This is why using books by established historians are far better than trying to interpret primary sources by oneself. The reliability of primary sources needs to be tested by professionals, and even then there can be a lot of dispute. I'm not saying you are necessarily wrong, but you selection of sources are erratic with little solid evidence and I'm in support of the status que for simplicity, and game balance as, even if there is the possibility that the status que is wrong, but I think providing well established osurces by historians are the way to go here, not making a selection of primary sources trying to make an argument on ones own.
So the resettlement took place in the late XV-early XVI century. In the scientific community, probably universally recognized this fact.
I gave these data because Adyghe scientists want to re-interpret the generally accepted data on the basis of reports of medieval authors. They want to indicate that already in the early fifteenth century, Circassians occupied the land up to the Terek, and even to Astrakhan In their work, which is given in the previous post about resettlement, not a word is said. It's like they've lived there since ancient times.
Here are the generally accepted data by science http://grozan.ru/kavkaz-2/istoriya-...karcev-i-kabardincev-na-nyneshnej-territorii/.
Very important information about the settlement of Kabardins on the territory of the Central Ciscaucasia give research known Kabardian archaeologists R. Zh. Betrozova and A. X. Nagoeva. Having comprehensively analyzed the materials from Kabardian mounds, they write that the resettlement of Kabardians in the current territory began in the late XIV — early
XV century., after the massacres of the local tribes of the hordes of Timur. "The maximum settlement of Kabardins, in their opinion, falls on the XV — beginning
XVI century" (Nagoev, 1974, p. 44; Betrozov, 1980, p. 141-142).
Everywhere write about it. But first came the ancestors of the Balkars. Because according to their legend, when they settled, Kabardins were not yet in those places

Last edited:
they write that the resettlement of Kabardians in the current territory began in the late XIV — early
XV century., after the massacres of the local tribes of the hordes of Timur

Began in late 14th century, that's the 1300's. Maximum settlement 15th century (that is 1400's) and early 16th century (that's 1500's)

This source directly contradicts what you argue for. You are familiar with the convention that 15th century is the 1400's right? 16th century is 1500's, 17th century is 1600's etc

the mtianeti province is already under control, Kartli

The back and forth discussion on this topic has made it a bit difficult to follow what's been pointed out. Mtianeti should belong to Kakheti, Kakheti would control the mountain tribes suchs as Khevs, Phsavs and Tush, east of darial gorge, Kartli controled the area around darial gorge extending west including duchy of aragvi, modern day south ossetia (the samachabelo lands) The most accurate is to move kartli province borders so it covers the mountain passes, and give mtianeti to Kakheti

Began in late 14th century, that's the 1300's. Maximum settlement 15th century (that is 1400's) and early 16th century (that's 1500's)

This source directly contradicts what you argue for. You are familiar with the convention that 15th century is the 1400's right? 16th century is 1500's, 17th century is 1600's etc
Yes, the initial migration could have been at the beginning of the XV century, but became a majority at the end of the XV century.
Previously, the Horde controlled these lands and would not allow its vassals to take land from their own vassals. With the weakening of the Great Horde, Kabarda filled the entire space between the Don and the Volga, meeting a rebuff in the west only from Shamkhal.
Muslims also would not embark on a long raid to the Black sea, and hit the Central Caucasus closer to Dagestan. If Kabarda lived in the Central Caucasus.
And earlier one terrible shout of the Khan will stop their migration.

Last edited: