• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jul 31, 2018
Hey guys!

This is actually my third thread about improvement on the Caucasus. From my second thread, I actually got a lot of feedback that I didn't propose "enough" provinces to represent the violent region. I try to improve on this, my last two threads I mainly focuses on Circassia, which is my favorite nation. However, I do things differently this time.

I expanded my suggestion to touch the southern states of Caucasus and a little of East Anatolia. I also try to focus on map changes instead of detailed suggestion like ideas and missions. So without further ado:

My Proposal
mlIh5ZN.jpg

North Caucasus:
I split the existing Circassia nation into 9 provinces and 7 nations:
  1. Tribe of Shapsugs (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Tuapse Province (1/1/1)
    • Circassia Culture
    • Animist Religion
    • Historical Rival of Abazin
  2. Tribe of Zichia (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Adyghe Province (1/1/1)
    • Circassia Culture
    • Orthodox Religion
    • Have a core on Martega (Genoa)
    • Modified the size a bit to cut Adyghe from Crimea Khanate
  3. Tribe of Abazin (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Abazin Province (1/1/1)
    • Circassia Culture
    • Animist Religion
    • Historical Rival of Shapsugs
    • Have a core on Tuapse
  4. Tribe of Karachay (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Karachay Province (1/1/1)
    • Turkic Culture
    • Sunni Religion
    • Historical Friend of Balkaria
    • Vassal of Kabardia
  5. Tribe of Balkaria (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Balkaria Province (1/1/1)
    • Turkic Culture
    • Sunni Religion
    • Historical Friend of Karachay
    • Vassal of Kabardia
  6. Tribe of Alania (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Alania Province (1/1/1)
    • Alania Culture *New
    • Orthodox Religion
    • Vassal of Kabardia
  7. Duchy of Kabardia (Despotic Monarchy)
    • Province List (Clockwise):
    • Temirgoy Province (2/3/2)
    • Besleney Province (1/2/1)
    • Kabardia Province (1/1/2) *Capital
    • Vassal: Karachay, Balkaria & Alania - as historical records that those three tribes exclusively do trades to Kabardia
    • Could start as tributary of Great Horde

East Caucasus:
I split the existing Dagestan province into Dagestan Province (Landlocked) and Derbent (Coastal)
Khunzia and Terek also splitted into Terek, Khunzakh, Vainakh and Avaria.
I actually suggested to change "Dagestani" culture to "Avars" culture but it's not that important
The nations are:

1. Duchy of Gazikumukh
    • Start with Tarki and Lakia, provinces development buffed to maintain vassal
    • Culture and Religion doesn't change
    • Have Avaria and Karakaitag (Dagestan) as Vassal
    • Could start as tributary of Great Horde
  2. Duchy of Avaria
    • As existing
  3. Tribe of Karakaitag (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Dagestan Province (1/1/2)
    • Vassal of Gazikumukh
  4. Duchy of Shirvan
    • Derbent province should have boosted development as it was very compact and Islamic center of learning in northern Caucasus (2/3/2) is my suggestion. Also to make up the loss of Shaki
  5. Duchy of Shaki
    • As existing
    • Independent
  6. Tribe of Dido (Tribal Monarchy)
    • Dido Province (1/1/1)
    • Dagestani Culture
    • Sunni Religion
    • Independent

South Caucasus:

1. Trebizond
    • Split into two provinces: Trebizond (as existing) and Lezgia (2/1/1) - The eastern one
    • Lezgia will have accepted Georgian culture
    • Actualy, I think both should have Georgian culture. As Trebizond was often nicknamed :principality of Lezgians"
    • Both Provinces are Orthodox
    • Should have historical friend modifier to Kara Koyunlu
    • Modified the provinces to cut off Trezibond from Ottoman, this is based on Historical record when Ottoman had to subjugated Candar to get access to Trebizond (Source: Siege of Trebizond)
  2. Georgia
    • I proposed Georgia to be united at the start, but the west and southern province to be occupied by rebels. This is because the breakup of Georgia happened in 1445. The details will be on revolter spoiler
    • Add new provinces of Sveneti
    • Buff development of Imereti
    • Changed the culture of Abkhazia to Circassia
  3. Candar and Canik
    • Modified Sinop and Canik provinces shape as pictured
    • Added independent Beylik of Canik - which in historical are 5 smaller beyliks loyal to Eretna, 1 on them which is Beylik of Bafra made it through 1440s)
    • Beylik of Canik could start as historical friend or vassal of Candar

Revolter:
eoqljRJ.jpg

1. Add "Assyrian" core at A1, A2 and A3
    • Change A1 (Mardin) culture to Assyrian
    • Add new A2 province (Nineveh/Hakkari) from Arbil
    • Assign Assyrian culture to A2
    • Change A3 (Urmia) culture to Assyrian
    • Give them all Coptic religion
    • Give them all Assyrian core which give claims to all Mesopotamia
  2. Add Beylik of "Erzincan" core to B (Erzincan) province. The beylik was annexed on 1430s, they should retained the core 15 years later
  3. Occupy C1 and C2 provinces with Samsthke rebels at the start of the game (maybe progress 75% so they would break free in less than 1 year)
  4. Occupy E, F, G, H and J provinces with Imereti rebels at the start of the game (maybe progress also on 75%)
    • Upon independence, they will split into: (Could be event)
    • Principality of Guria (E Province)
    • Kingdom of Imereti (F Province)
    • Principality of Sveneti (G province)
    • Principality of Mingrelia (H province)
    • Imereti's rebelious vassal Principality of Abkhazia (J Province)
  5. Add "Lezgia" core to D (Lezgia) province
  6. I'd spare Georgia from Kartli and Kakethi cores :p

Formable:
DerRlPV.jpg

1. Kingdom of Circassia
    • Unite all Circassian provinces culture except for Abkhazia
  2. Caucasus Imamate
    • Unite Dagestan, Lakia, Avaria, Dido and Vainakh provinces

What do you guys think?
I'm obviously not an expert, so feel free to discuss.

Lankaran or Talysh is ok

But I think other minor provinces are not needed atm. Current map is very tinny to add extra provinces in Caucasus. So I think Tashir and Artanuji are irrrlevant. In case of Svaneti I would leave it tho.

Make borders between Lazia and Guria provinces along Coruh river. Lazia was contested between Trebizond, p. of Guria and p. of Samtskhe.

Also add minor Georgian tags. Most importantly Kingdom of Kakheti. Kingdom of Georgia must be formable tag.

For now, he is testing both variants of changes in Georgia. In the first variant of the map, it is rare for any of the three countries to survive. In the expensive option, for three games. only in two games, the duchies survive and unite Georgia. Most often, Georgia unites Imereti. Though often Imereti falls into union with Georgia.

I need to do more tests of changes to assess whether it is impossible to improve the first variant of changes on the map.

I am afraid to divide Georgia and add the Kingdom of Kakheti because it may cause a faster fall of all three kingdoms.
I will try to test the map variant with four countries and see how it will fall out.

These are tags I could find for Caucasia and Eastern Anatolia. You guys may review them and get clear places of their regions on map:
As you guys remember, I have suggested numerous amount of tags in region for many different cultures.

A. I just wanted to look for what euratlas includes between 1400-1500-1600 years and found good amount of data available about Anatolia, Kurds and Caucasus.
1400_Southeast.jpg

1500_Southeast.jpg

1600_Southeast.jpg

These are tags I could detect that might make into game:
1. Hacıemir or Chepni people:
image00112.jpg

In the Ottoman Land Registry of 1515, "Esbüyeli" has been defined as "Çepni Eli" ("Chepni Province" or "Chepni's Homeland") and registered to Mustafa Bey I, son of Eshter Bey. The Chepni were a branch of the Oghuz Turks which between the 12th and 16th centuries settled in Kürtün in the mountains to the south of Espiye. The Chepni had a powerful cavalry of ten thousand horses, and therefore captured many districts on the Black Sea coast too, establishing the Anatolian beylik of Haci Emirli in Mesudiye to the west of Giresun. In 1397, Suleyman Bey, commander of the Haci Emirli Beylik in the name of the Ottoman Empire, attacked the Greek armies of Trebizond and conquered Giresun. With this victory, the Ottomans took control of the coastal zone and Suleyman Bey was named "Conqueror of Giresun" by the Chepni, in respect to their victorious leader. However, Espiye was still within the territory of the Empire of Trebizond. The appearance of Espiye from the black sea Sixty-four years later, in 1461, the Ottoman Emperor Fatih Sultan Mehmet moved against Trebizond in order to control the northeast end of his empire and quickly brought the Black Sea coast into the Ottoman Empire. Mehmet then gave control of the lands of Giresun, including Espiye, to the Chepnis in return for their support during the expedition. Moreover, he exempted them from paying taxes. According to the registry of 1515, Espiye was a very small village consisting of sixteen houses plus six houses in the Andoz Castle; meaning, the population of Espiye must have been 80-100, a village in the district of Tirebolu.

It was also called Chalybia:
The Emirate of Chalybia was founded by Turkmen war lords dyring the 14th c., in the homonym area of the eastern Pontos, consisting of lands that until then belonged to the Empire of Trebizond. The emirate came to league together with Mohamet II (Conqueror), the Ottoman sultan, in the begining of 1460s; thereafter it was incomporated into the Ottoman Empire.

2. Tacettin: Another Canik beylik. was conquered in 1428 (should be releasable at 1444)
Ottomans annexed and gave them autonomy at 1398, after Ottoman loss to Timurids, they became independent at 1402. This beylik could only be ended by Ottomans at 1427.
(should be releasable at 1444)

3. Ossetians (Alania): It is hard for me to find any data about these people (need help from Caucasians on forums) but as we can observe from maps they existed all along through 1400s to 1600s. (Should exist as culture at 1444, not sure about their overlords or as if they were independent?)
4. Guria: Principality of Guria (1460s–1829) As its clearly seen it should be in game as tag, but (releasable after 1460) I don't know developer politics here but it might also be dependent to Imereti in 1444 as new country. (Imereti vassal?)
5. Odishi (or Mingrelia?): The dynasty, henceforth surnamed Dadiani, acceded to the rank of sovereign princes after the dissolution of the Kingdom of Georgia in the 1490s. (Imereti vassal?)
6. Svaneti: The Principality of Svaneti (1463–1858) was a small principality (samtavro) in the Svaneti region of the Greater Caucasus mountains that emerged following the breakup of the Kingdom of Georgia in the late 15th century. It was ruled successively by the houses of Gelovani and Dadeshkeliani. (Imereti vassal or releasable after 1453)
7. Abhazia: The Principality of Abkhazia (1463-1864) emerged as a separate feudal entity in the 15th-16th centuries, amid the civil wars in the Kingdom of Georgia that concluded with the dissolution of the unified Georgian monarchy. The principality retained a degree of autonomy under the Ottoman, and then the Russian rule, but was eventually absorbed into the Russian Empire in 1864. (Imereti vassal?)
8. Kartli: The Kingdom of Kartli was a feudal Georgian state that existed from 1466/84 to 1762, with the city of Tbilisi as its capital. Through much of this period of time the kingdom was a vassal of the Persian empire, but enjoyed intermittent periods of greater independence, especially after 1747. (releasable after 1466?)
9. Kakheti: The Second Kingdom of Kakheti (1465–1762) was a late medieval/early modern monarchy in eastern Georgia, centered at the province of Kakheti, with its capital first at Gremi and then at Telavi. It emerged in the process of a tripartite division of the Kingdom of Georgia in 1465 and existed, with several brief intermissions, until 1762 when Kakheti and the neighboring Georgian kingdom of Kartli were merged through a dynastic succession under the Kakhetian branch of the Bagrationi dynasty. (releasable after 1465?)
10. Elisu: (releasable or formable after 1600s)
The history of the Sultanate begins north of the mountains in the upper reaches of the Samur River (Rutulsky District) with the Tsakhur people – a western branch of the Lezgians. They formed Tsakhur Khanate and paid tribute to the Gazikumukh Shamkhalate. In the 15th century the Tsakhurs began moving to south over the mountain crest toward the Alazani River. They settled in the province of Hereti of Kakheti kingdom. In the early 17th century, Shah Abbas I of Persia took these lands from the king of Kakheti and granted them to the Dagestani feudal clans who enjoyed a degree of autonomy (Djar-Beylakan society, the sultanate of Ilisu). the area was an 'ulka' of the Shirvan Khanate. The rulers were also vassals of Persia and sometimes Ottoman Empire, depending on the relative power of each. At the beginning of the 18th century the capital moved south from the town of Tsakhur to İlisu and we now hear of the Elisu Sultanate. The Elisu Dynasty belonged to the Sunni Muslim denomination of Islam. The first ruler from was Sultan Adi Korklu Bey, who established the Elisu Sultante on March 8, 1563. He was of Turkish People
11. Tabasaran (releasable after 1642)
The Tabasaran Principality or Principality of Tabasaran was an independent monarchic state in southern Dagestan, existing from 1642 until the later 19th century. It emerged as one of many smaller states from the disintegration of the Shamkhalate of Gazikumukh in 1642. It was located in the Samur river valley, roughly coinciding with the region in which the Tabasaran people still reside today. Its location close to the main road between Derbent and Shirvan gave it some strategic importance.
12. Maybe Kartli-Kakheti as formable.

QyHEyeJ.png

Other communities that could be added:

Karachays
Kabards
Lezgians
Khunzal
Durdzuks

@Reavici Wanna add anything?
Caucasia needs huge overhaul for sure.

B. By the way there were several Armenian lordships between Adana and Kayseri that could be added:
https://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/1500/entity_9624.html (Independent Tomarza, Hadjin, & Göksun lords)
https://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/1600/entity_9624.html (Göksun lord, vassal of Ottomans)

C.
And finally we could find full list of Kurdish tribes under Aqqoyunlu and later Ottomans:
Names were hard to read on map, but one reddit user did it himself by coloring and naming as list:
9CcYXjW.png

These were rather bigger ones south to Anatolia:
Lorestan Tribe White sheep Substate
Soran Tribe White sheep Substate
Ardalan Tribe White sheep Substate
Mukriyan Tribe White sheep Substate

And others:
Baz Tribe White sheep Substate
Amadya Tribe White sheep Substate
Hakkari Tribe White sheep Substate
Shatak Tribe White sheep Substate
Hosab Tribe White sheep Substate
Bashkala Tribe White sheep Substate
Ahlat Tribe White sheep Substate
Bitlis Tribe White sheep Substate
Çermik Tribe White sheep Substate
Sagman Tribe White sheep Substate
Pertek Tribe White sheep Substate
Çabakçur Tribe White sheep Substate
Genç Tribe White sheep Substate
Vostan Tribe White sheep Substate
Moks Tribe White sheep Substate
Eğil Tribe White sheep Substate
Hazro-Tercil Tribe White sheep Substate
Kulp Tribe White sheep Substate
Sirvan Tribe White sheep Substate
Cizre Tribe White sheep Substate

D. Eastern europe seems very detailed in euratlas, more tags could be added to Greek region and even up north.

From Kurdish tribes most important ones were probably these (I researched from Kurdish history book) are my suggestions to add:

2 more Kurdish emirates as vassals, 1. Hakkari and 2. Bahdinan (at Amadiya)
and revolter tag Cizre (that could break free for short time)
(Soran tag could be added after 1530s)

There could also be more releasable Turkish beyliks but those are rather unimportant as we won't see them in most games. (Tacettin and Hacıemir Chepnis, Artuqids, Erzincan etc)
Actually Canik beys could be vassal of Ottomans but they weren't autonomous at all.
(Artuqid core should be in Mardin)

Last edited:
Also add minor Georgian tags. Most importantly Kingdom of Kakheti. Kingdom of Georgia must be formable tag.
Did you mean such changes?
20190703184705_1.jpg

Georgia is no longer at the start of the game

Did you mean such changes?
View attachment 497073
Georgia is no longer at the start of the game
yeah, but it seems you carved Tashir... and incorporated it to Armenian area. According to modern day or early medieval perspectives thats legit. But take in consideration that Tashir stayed under Kingdom of Georgia, and then in Kingdom of Kartli from 11th century to 18th. There is no reason to carve it from Kartli area. Even in Safavid and then Russian administrative division it was under Georgian governorate.

Tashir was very mixed during EU timeframe, it had Armenian and Turkoman population. Local feudal lords were Georgianized Armenians.

"The Princes of Lori - Loris-Melikovs are the representatives of an old noble family whose ancestors in the 14th century owned the town of Lori and the province of the same name. They belonged to the top aristocratic society of Georgia."

yeah, but it seems you carved Tashir... and incorporated it to Armenian area. According to modern day or early medieval perspectives thats legit. But take in consideration that Tashir stayed under Kingdom of Georgia, and then in Kingdom of Kartli from 11th century to 18th. There is no reason to carve it from Kartli area. Even in Safavid and then Russian administrative division it was under Georgian governorate.

Tashir was very mixed during EU timeframe, it had Armenian and Turkoman population. Local feudal lords were Georgianized Armenians.

"The Princes of Lori - Loris-Melikovs are the representatives of an old noble family whose ancestors in the 14th century owned the town of Lori and the province of the same name. They belonged to the top aristocratic society of Georgia."

Tashir is no longer part of the armenian area
Do you have any ideas for a national ide for, Kakheti and all the rest?
lk.jpg

I would like to add another province to the Kakheti kingdom, but I can not find any suitable city for the capitals of the new province.

Last edited:
Tashir is no longer part of the armenian area
Do you have any ideas for a national ide for, Kakheti and all the rest?
View attachment 497308
I would like to add another province to the Kakheti kingdom, but I can not find any suitable city for the capitals of the new province.
Tbh I am not expert at suggesting national ideas, it could break game balance by making them either too op or nerfed af. so I will leave it as it is.. general Georgian ideas are enough atm.

As for Kakheti, I could suggest to add duchy of Aragvi maybe. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Aragvi

also check this out: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakhtrioni_uprising

mlIh5ZN.jpg

The tribe of Zichia was not, this is the common Western European name Circassians. Turks called them Circassians. They call themselves the Adyghes.
It is possible that when the region is conquered by Germany, let Zichia be called. When conquer the Turkic peoples or Russia let it be called Cherkessia. When they will be independent let them be Adygea.

For the rest, I agree. Circassians did not represent a single state. They were divided into separate tribes. Were pagans, including Dagestanis were also pagans

This topic has been raised several times 1) https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-improved-and-should-be-more-diverse.1186499/
2) https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ircassia-georgia-trebizond-and-genoa.1168513/
I offered the following map for the South Caucasus
1450%D0%B31..png

1490%D0%B3..png
north-west-caucasus-language.jpg

Last edited:
This is what the Abkhaz authors write about their people. H. O. Bgazhba, S. Z. Lakoba "History of Abkhazia from ancient times to the present day" 2007 http://apsnyteka.org/file/Bgazhba._Lakoba_Istoriya_Abkhazii_s_drevnosti_do_nashih_dney.pdf.
I will not give texts describing earlier times. And I will bring texts only from the XV century. Although earlier ones would be interesting for Crusaders Kings 2 and Imperator Rome

Origin of the Abkhaz people
The origin of the Abkhaz and their place among other nations of the world have long been interested in researchers. Written sources from which they draw their knowledge, not so lot. Yes, and archeology without relevant written data can not draw a true picture of the origin of the people. Opportunities are further narrowed ethnology and anthropology. Experts believe that the language is peculiar unwritten chronicle of the centuries-old memory of the people. She carries information about economic activities, way of life of distant ancestors, about their relationships with other peoples and many other interesting information. All this helps to understand the language a kaleidoscope of the peoples of the Caucasus, who, by virtue of the mountainous landscape, played preserving role in contrast to the divided steppes. Therefore, the Caucasus is united in its many faces and many faces in its unity, which must always be taken into account. Recognized - Abkhaz language is one of the oldest languages in the world. He, along with others closely related languages (Abaza, Ubykh, Adygei, Circassian, Kabardian) forms a Western Caucasian (Abkhaz-Adyghe) language group, numbering today a few million people.
The Abkhaz-Adyg language group is akin to its origin East Caucasian languages (Vainakh and Dagestan). Both of these groups form single Caucasian family of languages.
Kinship with the Hattians. The disintegration of the Abkhaz-Adyg proto-language into three main branches (Abkhazadygi-Ubykhi) began, as it is believed, about 5 thousand years ago. In modern science, the hypothesis about the kinship of the Abkhaz-Adyghe languages with the Hattians, whose speakers lived in Asia Minor (in the territory of modern Turkey), was widely recognized. Famous monuments of Maikop (up to the second half of the 3rd millennium BC) and megalithic (dolmens, cromlechs - second half of the 3rd millennium BC) indicate the direct connections of the ancient population of the Western Caucasus with the Minor and Western Asia, with the civilizations of the Ancient East. .) archaeological cultures. About traditional ties Abkhaz-Adygs with ancient oriental civilizations can be testified by well-known “Maikop”, “Esherskaya” epigraphic inscriptions. The signs of these texts reveal a certain similarity with both the letters found in Byblos (XIII century BC), in Phenicia, and with the signs of the Hittite hieroglyphic writing (II – I millennium BC).
The people who spoke the proto-language of the Abkhaz-Adygs, engaged in farming, raised cattle, made various handicraft products, worked on metals. This is confirmed by archaeological materials from Abkhazia. There is an opinion that the Hattians were the inventors of iron metallurgy and that their name iron fell into many languages of the world (from it, in particular, comes the Russian word "iron"). In favor of the fact that the speakers of the proto-language lived in approximately the same conditions in which the current Abkhaz-Adygs live and were formed within the territory of Western Caucasus, they say words like: “sea”, “coast”, “fish”, “mountain (wooded)”, “forest (deciduous)”, “forest (coniferous)”, “fir”, “beech”, “cornel”, “chestnut ", etc. Toponymic names also speak about the same. For example, the names of the rivers, which include the element "dogs" - water, river (Aripsa, Supsa, Akampsis, Apsar, Lagumpsa), as well as words with the name "kua" - "ravine", "beam", "river" and others And the archeology data of Abkhazia testifies to the continuity of local cultures in time and space before and after the mention of the ancient Abkhazian tribes in ancient written sources in the first centuries of our era.
Ecological niche and ethnogenesis of the ancient Abkhazians. In the origin of peoples, the role of natural conditions (features) should also be taken into account, i.e. geographical environment. For the history of the Abkhaz-Adygs, the preserving and differentiating processes that took place in the West Caucasus gorges and mountain passes were very important.
Language decays usually occur during the transfer of a part of the original language into another geographically isolated (by mountains, rivers) area - the so-called ecological niche.
There is an opinion that the original homeland of the Abkhaz-Adygs was the Colchis ecological niche and the northeastern regions of Asia Minor adjacent to it, where in the second - the beginning of the first millennium BC. er the Abkhaz-Adyg family of Kashka-Abeshla lived (most likely they spoke Hatti language). At the same time, perhaps, there was a movement along the coast through the East Black Sea corridor (the road) and through the passes of the direct linguistic ancestors of the Circassians to the northern slopes of the Western Caucasus. The ancestors of the Ubykh Zikhs at the same time occupied a niche between the Gagra Range and Tuapse, associated with the neighboring territories by hard-season paths. The Praabkhazian tribes, as the primary part of the community, continued to dwell in Colchis, where ancient authors found them in the person of the Apsils, Abasgians and Sanigs. Experts believe that cultural advances from Kolchis along the Black Sea coast to the East Transcaucasia and the northern slopes of the Central Caucasus reach a peak in the 9th – 8th centuries. BC. This time coincides with the heyday of the Kolchian-Koban Metallurgical Province. As for the ancient Kartvel tribes: Kardu - Karty, Kulkha-Kolkhs, Lusha-Lazy, etc., they, there is an opinion, even before the beginning of the first millennium BC. er lived in the north-eastern regions of Asia Minor. And only then did these tribes advance through the gorge of the r. Chorokhi along the coast or along the gorge. Chickens in the Colchis ecological niche. The historical plausibility of such an option can indicate the primacy of the Transcaucasus before the beginning of the first millennium BC. er Pre-Caucasian Caucasus "Hurrito-Urartu" an element related to the East Caucasian languages (Nakh-Dagestan).
Speaking about the origin of the Abkhaz people, it is important to always remember that from the moment of the settlement of the Western Caucasus, man has traditionally been dominated by southern influences - from Asia Minor. From there, in ancient times, the carriers of the Abkhaz-Adyg pryazyk advanced into the Western Caucasus valleys. Considering the geographical factor and many other things, one should not forget that no nation can develop independently, without interacting with other, neighboring nations. The Abkhaz are no exception.
Bridge between Europe and Asia. The territory inhabited by the Abkhazians has always served as a kind of bridge between the North Caucasus and the Black Sea coast. The second direction of communications was determined by the sea, along the shores of which the ships moved in the direction of Asia Minor and the Crimea. In this regard, we can recall such seaside civilizations, such as, for example, Greece, Rome, Byzantium, Genoa, with whom the ancient ancestors of the Abkhazians were also in close contact (by the way, in the village of Tamysh, a clay model of a boat was found in the layer of the 8th century BC.). An important role was also played by the fact that the base of the triangle of the space occupied by the Abkhaz was open to influences from the southeast, from which the foothill "Abkhaz road" led by the merchants and conquerors led. Perhaps, in the late Middle Ages, this path was protected by the Great Abkhazian (Kelasur) wall, which can be indicated by its configuration, architectural features of the towers and curtins themselves, (the fortress wall between the towers), as well as the accompanying archaeological material.
Geniochian union of tribes and its components. The population of Abkhazia and adjacent regions, as evidenced by ancient written sources, was in the I millennium BC. er quite powerful and at the same time motley union of the Geniochian tribes. However, they were close to each other in terms of language and culture. At least, the ancient cities of Dioscuriad (present-day Sukhum) and Fasis (present-day Poti) were on the land of the Geniokhs.
In the first centuries of our era, the Geniochian alliance broke up into smaller ancient Abkhazian tribes: Sanigi, Abasgi, and Apsils (the latter gave the Abkhaz the self-name Apsua). In the VI century AD of the Apsils stood out by the Misimians. At this time, the ethnopolitical border between the ancient Abkhaz and ancient Kartvel beings (Lazy) passed approximately along the r. Ingur. It was the same in the 7th - early 8th centuries, before the formation of the Abkhazian kingdom. In the I – VI centuries. All the above-mentioned Abkhazian tribal associations were early class state formations (“principalities” or “kingdoms”) —Sanigiyu, Apsiliyu, Abasgiyu and Misimiyu (from the 6th century). They became the basis of the formation of the Abkhazian (Abbasian) principality, and then of the Abkhazian kingdom (VIII century). This was facilitated by the rallying of the ancient Abkhazian tribes, which led to the creation of a single Abkhazian feudal nation - a common ancestor of both the Abkhazians and the Abazins (this process could begin as early as the 7th century, and maybe a little earlier, after the official adoption of Christianity in Abkhazia in 30–50 years VI in). It should be remembered that during the “kingdom of Abkhazians and Kartlians”, at the end of the XII century, the royal court was well known and respected the language of the ancestors of modern Abkhazians (apsaras - apsua).
Subsequently, the ancestors of the modern Abazin (Tapanta), crossing the spurs of the Main Caucasus Range, settled in the valleys of the North Caucasus devastated from the Mongol invasion. The resettlement of another Abazin tribe, Ashkharians, who call themselves Apsua, i.e. Abkhazians, happened even later. Therefore, the speech of the Ashkharians, unlike the Tapants, is less different from the Abkhaz. In a word, the Abkhaz and Abazins actually speak close dialects of a single Abkhaz-Abazin language.
So today we can present in brief a rather complicated process of the origin of the Abkhaz people, one of the most ancient peoples of the world.

GENUESIANS, OR ITALIANS IN ABKHAZIA
In the XIII – XV centuries. Genoa, a powerful republic led by the Doge, occupied the leading place in international Black Sea trade. In Kaffa (present-day Theodosia), its main colony was laid, and in 1280 the Oziumium of Gazaria (derived from the name of the Khazars) was opened to control all the Black Sea colonies. But in 1453, after the conquest of Constantinople by the Turks, Genoa was forced to transfer its customs rights to region private credit "Bank of St. George."
The appearance of the Genoese in Abkhazia was not accidental. In the XIII century, as you know, the disintegration of the “kingdom of the Abkhaz and the Kartli” into separate kingdoms and princedoms began. At the same time, the Mongols interested in the intermediary trade provided the Genoese with great support.
Genoese trade settlements. Their trade settlements (trading posts) appeared in many points of Abkhazia: Kakari (modern Gagra), Santa Sofia (St. Sophia - modern Alahadzy), Petsonda (modern Pitsunda), Сavo di Bucso (Boxwood quarry - modern Gudauta) , Nikoff (modern Athos), Sevastopolis - San Sebastian (St. Sebastian - modern Sukhum), Olaguana (goes back to the Italian "lagoon" - the bay - Cape Kodor), Сavo Zizibar (Adzubzhinsky quarry), Tamans - San Tommaso (St. Tommaso - modern Tamysh) and San Angelo (St. Angel - lower reaches of the Ingur). In short, the main points of contact of the Genoese with the local population were port cities of Abkhazia. They stood in easy-to-navigate places where the trade routes passed from ancient times. The center of activity of the Genoese here was the city of Sevastopolis. It housed the residence of the head of all Italian settlements in the Caucasus. The first mention of the Genoese in Abkhazia dates back to 1280, when a certain Bezano bought a ship called “Mugetto” from Balari in Sevastopolis. This purchase was issued by a notary in place. Consequently, the Genoese could appear here even earlier, say, in the 50s – 60s of the 13th century. Sevastopolis was especially attractive to them because ships could spend the winter at the pier. On the red flag of the city was depicted a white palm. And its population was traditionally mixed along ethnic and religious lines. Was in the city and the Catholic community. Therefore, the Pope established a bishopric in Sevastopolis in 1318. All this caused a mixed reaction from the residents of the city. Thus, the bishop of Sevastopolis Herald then complained to the Archbishop of Canterbury that the local Orthodox priest and people, with the participation of Muslims and Jews, "threw 15 gravestones" and a cross in a Catholic cemetery. After all, a prerequisite for the self-government of the Genoese was their church with its own cemetery. Most likely, it was the church of Sa-Mato (St. Matthew) on the Sukhumi mountain. Local rulers and merchants, of course, were not interested in competition. Therefore, the Genoese had to conclude a special agreement with them in order to establish their settlement in Sevastopolis. This event occurred in 1354, when the Genoese fleet completely destroyed the navy of competing Venetians and began to dominate the Black Sea alone.
568ee3359169.jpg

Abkhazia in XIV - XVI centuries

At the same time, the first consul Ambrogio di Petro was sent to Sevastopolis. When he was a notary and court clerk. The trial was carried out according to the laws adopted in Genoa. All officials were paid from Kaffa. The Consul of Sevastopolis had one percent of the imported and exported goods. He lived in the Sukhum fortress, where multi-temporal buildings remained. Archaeologists have identified here a powerful cultural layer of the Genoese time (monochrome and multicolor irrigation dishes, lamps, glass, etc.). Local Abkhaz feudal lords sometimes looted the rich Italian neighborhoods of the city. Such conflicts are usually settled through diplomatic negotiations and, of course, expensive gifts from the Italians. It is known that the Genoese quarters of Sevastopolis were destroyed at least several times - in 1373–1375 and 1453–1455.
The population of the Italian quarters in Sevastopolis lived apart and entered into trade relations with the locals.
Abkhazia at the beginning of the 15th century In 1404, Johannes de Galonifontibus described this ethno-linguistic picture of the eastern shore of the Black Sea. Beyond Circassia, he reported, is “Abkhazia, a small hilly country”, which has “its own language”, to the south of Abkhazia, “towards Georgia”, there is “the country of Mingrelia” and they have “their own language”, and Georgia is on south of Mingrelia and has "its own language."
Money turnover. At that time in the Black Sea region the basis of the monetary system was silver. The most common were silver coins - "Aspra-baricata" (Golden Horde) and "Aspra-Comninata" (Trapezuntskaya). In addition to them, “kirmaneuli” (the distorted Georgian name of Trabest Emperor Manuel I) was used. In documents of 1386, the “Sevastopol aspra” is also mentioned, which had a much higher sample during the currency crisis than the silver Golden Horde coin. But this coin was more rare in comparison with others and, perhaps, satisfied the increased by that time demand for the local merchants trading in the Black Sea region (the documents mention, for example, “avasg” Otorogius "and nameless" avasg).
Trade. In the XIII – XV centuries. The main product that came through the Black Sea ports from the East to Western Europe was silk. It was imported from Central Asia, Northern Iran, Transcaucasia, from distant China. At that time, three former Trans-Caucasian branches of the Great Silk Road, which then connected Genoa with the Golden Horde, again earned money through Abkhazia.
One of the most important export items was wood, which was in great demand in the Mediterranean. There were even special "lumberjacks", specially bought up forest areas intended for logging. They were very much appreciated: precious boxwood, “iron” and “mahogany”, ship and construction wood.
They also took grain and wine. Kaff even introduced a special tax on the import of wines from Sevastopolis, which was then abolished. In great demand in Western Europe were used in the sea raw skins and leather. The Genoese, most likely on a concession basis, began to exploit the lead mines in the valley of the r. Gumista, near Sevastopolis. Great demand in Europe was used: dried and salted fish, salmon caviar, wax, skins of foxes and martens, sheep, cotton, saffron,
fruits, silver containing ore, medicinal herbs from Abkhazia, etc.
Italian documents contain information about the import into Abkhazia of salt from the Crimea and various spices from China and India. But the main product of trade in the East and the West was cloth. Part of the transit goods, of course, could also settle in the ports of Abkhazia, especially in Sevastopolis. At this time, Abkhazia received the necessary goods mainly by sea and had more lively contacts with the outside world than with the inner regions of Transcaucasia. Maritime trade primarily brought profit to local authorities, which further increased their desire for independence. Maritime trade could then become the impetus for the subsequent transformation of the Abkhazian principality into an independent one. At the same time, it negatively influenced the development of local handicraft production, which could not stand the foreign competition of the Mediterranean.
The turnover of Sevastopolis, for example, in 1378 was 12,000 somm, which was a rather large sum for those times - 2628 kg. silver. True, then it was a peak.
"Living goods". One of the most important sources of income for feudal lords (Genoese and local) was the “living commodity” (slaves), which traders delivered to the Golden Horde and all the slave markets in the Mediterranean.
The slave trade was subject to certain rules. Bills of exchange were drawn up, which indicated the names of the seller and the buyer, the age of the slave, gender, ethnicity and cost. These acts were certified by a notary. Such acts helped to find out that most of the slaves came from the northern and northeastern Black Sea region. Abkhazians were among the slaves brought from the Black Sea coast. Usually they were prisoners or poor tribesmen. Slaves were brought from Sevastopolis to Kaffa, one of the main centers of the slave trade in the Black Sea region. The earliest act is dated May 3, 1289. On this day, 30-year-old Abkhazian Venala appears among the slaves sold. In the chronicles there is information that entire neighborhoods in Genoa, Venice, etc. were occupied by people from the Caucasus and the Black Sea. Under normal conditions and attitudes, it would be quite possible to trace the fate of some of our ancestors, some of whom later, of course, received freedom in a foreign land or bought it back.
Material culture. It is usually considered, with an eye on the slave trade and other reasons, that this period in the history of Abkhazia is not the most successful. In fact, everything was far from it. It was then that the construction of a large number of serfs and civil buildings, arched bridges (like Besletsky), churches, etc. began. Italian architecture is pronounced, for example, in the 14th century Genoese tower. inside the fortress of Anakopia and lower in the coast. There is a similar tower in Tamysh. Usually such large towers are located in the center of a small space, enclosed by fortress walls.In the fortress architecture, they are called donjons with prominent semicircles in the corners and corresponding loopholes-decorations. If you look at the feudal castles in the mountains of Abkhazia of that time, you can see a lot of similar with the buildings of the coast. It is important to know that the doors of the houses and the chests were locked with the help of keys and locks made according to European designs. This is a sign that our ancestors have accumulated a lot of good, which had to be protected from thieves. Moreover, the locks and keys found during the excavations within the precincts of Sevastopolis, Tsebelda fortress and in the pile of the Aylag-Abyk temple are diverse and complex in terms of manufacturing technology and are not inferior to the Italian.
The estate cemetery of the XIII – XV centuries is also rich in things. near the castle of Bagrat. It found local pithos (large jugs for wine) with stucco rollers, glazed ceramics, iron weapons (broadswords), numerous imported vessels of blue Venetian glass, a thimble from Egypt, a silver blackened front ring for stringing a bowstring, the same pendants, carnelian beads, articulated scissors, saw. The abundance of things that accompanied the departed indicates a certain revival in the local Christian environment of traditional ideas about the afterlife. Materials from the Genoa period (XIII – XV centuries) from Abkhazia can serve good help for the interpretation and dating of similar materials of Genoa itself and vice versa.
After the Turkish capture of Constantinople in Sevastopolis in the second half of the 15th century, the Turkish fleet appeared for the first time. After some time, the Genoese had to leave Abkhazia.

Abkhazia in the XV – XVII centuries.
Abkhazia in the XV century. In 1403, the army of Timur (Tamerlane), the famous commander and the Central Asian emir, invaded Western Transcaucasia. As a result, 700 villages were destroyed and Kutaisi was captured. The territory of Abkhazia proper did not suffer from foreign invasion again. The Abkhaz rulers Shervashidze (Chachba) took advantage of the situation. They always sought to free themselves from dependence on the part of the Megrelian principality of Sabediano and, if necessary, to restore their power over southern Abkhazia (Tskhum and Bedian voivodship). According to sources, Shervashidze did not obey all orders of Dadiani. ” Therefore, in 1414 a bloody battle took place between them. As a result, the Mingrelian ruler of Mamia II was killed, and his militia scattered. The East Georgian Tsar Alexander I intervened in the matter, having come to the aid of Megrelia. The combined Kartvelo-Megrelian army entered Abkhazia, and Shervashidze again had to submit.
In the sources of the XV century. rulers of Megrelia are called “kings”, and Shervashidze - "dukes" (correspondence with the duke of Burgundy). From the coastal points of the principality Sabediano, located on the territory of modern Abkhazia, it is necessary to name the trading harbor at the mouth of the river Kelasur. On the Italian maps of the second half of the 15th century. it is listed as “Porto megrelo”, and Sevastopolis for some time lost its economic importance due to the elimination of the Genoese colonial system on the Black Sea coast.
Abkhazia in the XVI century. During the XVI century. Abkhazia to one degree or another remained vassal in dependence on the Megrelian principality. In one deed of gift, Mamia III Dadiani (1512–1533) states that he donates to the Pitsunda temple "in Abkhazia, the villages Aytarna, Aruha and Rabitsa" located around Pitsunda and "Mount Aytarna with black olives". This certificate was repeatedly confirmed by his successors until the year 1590. This "gift" of its controversial always caused dissatisfaction on the part of Shervashidze.
The Megrelian prince tried to establish himself in the northern part of Abkhazia (Dzhigetii Georgian sources). However, the Abkhaz, led by Tandiya Inal-ip, took the side of the Djik. As a result of the battle, Mamia III Dadiani and three bishops died, many were captured. The Abkhaz Catholicos had to redeem both the living and the dead. However, at the end of the XVI century. The Abkhaz feudal lords, on the contrary, successfully supported the Mingrelian prince in his internecine struggle against the Gurian prince. In short, the power of Dadiani and Shervashidze changed, expanding and narrowing at the expense of each other. But the main population on the territory of Abkhazia at that time remained the indigenous Abkhaz, which ensured its identity in the 17th century.
Abkhazia gains independence. This happened around 1615, and in 1621 Levan II Dadiani married the daughter of Abkhazian ruler Puto Shervashidze Tanuria, “who, apart from natural beauty, had all the virtues of a woman of her last name: in embroidery, reading, writing, in generosity and courtesy, not having their own kind. With this nobility, she attracted her subjects. ”
After some time, Levan contacted his uncle's wife, a beautiful and insidious Nestan Darejan, and decided to formalize a relationship with her by legal marriage. But this was hampered by a legitimate Abkhaz wife with two sons from him. It was necessary to find a good reason for divorce. Without thinking twice, he accused her of adultery - marital infidelity - and dealt with it in the most cruel way: he disfigured his face and then expelled him from the yard. According to another, even more brutal version, Levan “grabbed her with her sons, put her in gun barrel and fired, scattering her body to pieces. "
Without waiting for the legal revenge of Puto Shervashidze, Levan was the first to attack Abkhazia at the head of a large army. At the same time, he wanted to restore power over the Abkhazian principality. Putov Shervashidze, caught off guard, failed to offer resistance and with his entourage went to the mountains, where he was hiding in the Mchishta rock castle. Levan brutally devastated Abkhazia, came back and married his aunt. Uncle he put in a dungeon, where he killed.A secret conspiracy was organized against Levan himself, in which one Abkhaz was the main executor. But his dagger inflicted only a minor wound on the Megrelian prince. Levan again attacked Abkhazia and led Puto Ш shervashidze to formally express obedience in the form of a tribute to "the known number of hunting dogs and falcons that were carried out in this country." In fact, the Abkhaz feudal lords continued to remain independent and more than once attacked their recent winner.
The internecine war between the Abkhaz and Mingrelian feudal lords continued for thirty years. She wore a cruel character. So, the Abkhaz prince during one of his raids into Megrelia burned a wooden church there. Levan summoned him to negotiate, but the Abkhaz prince demanded three hostages for this - the sons of the most distinguished Megrelian nobles. But Levan did not keep his word. During the meeting, he immediately grabbed the Abkhaz prince and ordered him to cut off his head, and release his retinue. Upon learning of this, the spouse of the treacherously murdered Abkhaz prince immediately ordered the execution of all the hostages.
On one of the campaigns of Levan II Dadiani in Abkhazia (circa 1647), the inscription on the icon of Sts. Georgy from the Ylor temple, which said: “When we came out against Shervashidze in Zupu (Lykhny), on this side of the Mutsu river (apparently, Mchishta) was devastated (everything), once again attacked Zupu, on this side of the r. Kapoeti (r. Bzyb) completely burned everything up and ruined it and where they were only fortifications, they took it and destroyed it.
Zupuar and Sukhuar Arshani (Marshania) attacked us on the Kapoeti River, which we defeated. Some of them we destroyed, others were captured and returned as victors. ”
But the Abkhaz ruler "did not want to conclude (with Levan) neither peace nor truce and ended the war when he learned of the death of his barbarian son-in-law."
Riddle of the Kelasur wall. In life, Levan still had to go to defensive policy. A number of researchers attributed to him the construction of the Kelasur (Great Abkhaz) wall. It is now established that this wall consisted of 280 towers, four garrison fortifications and their connecting walls and cliffs with a total length of 58 km. The wall, representing a complex system of natural and artificial frontiers, can be traced from modern Sukhum to Ingur, forming a line of defense up to 100 km. Perhaps this interesting monument of fortification art has two construction periods: the earlier - the wall in the XIII – XV centuries. guarded the piedmont road from Megrelia to Abkhazia, which was once called the Abkhaz Road in the Georgian chronicles, and later, the 17th century. It may have been restored, but not built by Levan Dadiani.
Levan II died in 1657. The situation of the Megrelian principality worsened all the time thereafter, and from the beginning of the 60s feudal strife in the Western Transcaucasus became more acute.
The Abkhaz feudal lords immediately took advantage of this situation, managing to achieve complete independence. Thus, Patriarch Macarius did not consider the Abkhazian principality a part of feudal Georgia.
In the 70s of the XVII century. raids on Megrelia more intensified. Eyewitnesses wrote that "Megrelia is not ..." and that "fear ... is so great that people run from their own shadows, taking it for Abkhaz."
In those years, the Patriarch of Jerusalem Dositheus testified that "the Abkhazians devastated Mokva, Zugdidi and the entire side from Dioscuria to Gypius" (the Tchenis-Tskali river in Western Georgia). Moreover, Dadiani was “unable to drive out the Abkhazians”.
As the archaeological excavations in Tsebelda showed, several late medieval churches were destroyed in the second half of the 17th century. For example, the monastery church of sv. George was set on fire, the corner supports collapsed. The throne of the Abkhaz Catholicos was moved from Pitsunda to Gelati, near Kutaisi. But the old tradition has long been preserved. Every new Catholicos had to visit Pitsunda at least once in his life in order to hold a divine service.
People suffered first of all from feudal strife. The winners destroyed houses, took the masters into captivity, and then sold them or kept them as slaves until ransom. The only winners were feudal lords and Turkish slavers.
Border on the river Ingur. In the late 1970s, the Megrelian principality was in an even worse position. Sarek Shervashidze (son of the sovereign Prince Sustar) together with his brother Kvapu in the early 80s XVII century. seized the territory of the Megrelian principality to the river. Ingur. This time it was not just a raid by Sarek Shervashidze, he decided to settle here and even declared himself a Mingrelian Mtavar. Sarek repeatedly invaded and for the Ingur, trying to master the lands there. He was highly respected among the neighboring Alanian (Ossetian) rulers. This did not prevent his uncle Zegnak from invading Sarek’s possessions.
After the death of Zegnak, the territory of Abkhazia was divided between his sons: Djikeshia got the area between the Kodor and Aalydzga rivers, and the Kvapu - between the Aalydzga and Ingur rivers. Senior, Growth remained the main owner of the rest of Abkhazia.
In the Abkhaz-Mingrelian war of the XVII century. On the side of the Abkhaz, representatives of the North Caucasian peoples took an active part: jigits, Abazins, Kabardians. This largely determined the victory of Shervashidze over Dadiani. So, in 1680, Dalom and Tsabalom (Kodor Valley) were captured by the native of Ahchipsow (now Krasnaya Polyana) Prince Khrips Eschou-ipa Marshania, whose relatives and descendants continued to head places all mountain societies.
As a result of all these events, the ethnic boundary between the Abkhaz and the Kartvelas, which was held before the beginning of the second millennium AD er along the river Ingur, has been restored. It acquired simultaneously the state political status, which has been preserved for more than 300 years.

Last edited:
what village, city is the capital of the balkaria province?
Fortification Karchа-Kala. The current center, Nalchik, was built by the Russians in 1812
On these lands, formerly belonging to Alania, walked the troops of the Mongols and Tamerlane. And the country fell into decay. The empty land was occupied by the Kabardians

Migrations of Adygs (Circassians) and Abazins in the 13th – 16th centuries
The Mongol-Tatar invasion and the subsequent rule of the Golden Horde influenced the ethnic and territorial situation of the North Caucasus in many respects. Alans, forced to leave the flat and foothill territories of the Central Caucasus, mainly settle in the mountains of modern Ossetia. The lands they abandoned - the flat part of the upper reaches of the Kuban and Zelenchuk, Pyatigorye, lands of the modern Kabardino-Balkarian Republic - from the end of the 13th century begin to be occupied by the Adygs. Moreover, by the end of the 15th century, the ethnic formation of Kabarda appears here.
In the Elbrus region, the Turkic-speaking Balkarians who are related to Karachai are formed, which, according to their tribal or territorial affiliation, are divided into a number of subdivisions. For example, Malkars, Uruzbians.
At the turn of the 13-14 centuries, mass migrations are carried out by another indigenous ethnos - Abazins. In the early Middle Ages, the Abazins and Abkhazians represented a single ethnic community and occupied the eastern coast of the Black Sea, all of modern Abkhazia and part of the modern Krasnodar Territory to Tuapse. Together with the Circassians, they migrate to the North Caucasus and settle in the southeastern regions of modern Krasnodar Territory, as well as in the upper reaches of the Kuban, Zelenchuk and Kuma rivers. The origins of the Kuban, the most high-mountainous part, are occupied by the Karachaevans, who have arisen as a result of complex ethnic processes with the participation of the autochthonous and alien peoples.
After the end of the campaigns of Timur and the collapse of the Golden Horde, by the middle of the 15th century, relative stability was established in the North Caucasus, and a number of indigenous peoples, who were pushed back into hard-to-reach places by the steppe, gradually increased their ethnic range. The territories of settling of local tribes acquire more stable contours that persist until the 18th century in the North-West Caucasus, that is, lands from the left bank of the Kuban to the Main Caucasus Range, traditionally inhabited by Western Adygs, which, like other North Caucasian peoples, are divided into a number tribes.

Settlement of the Adyghe and Abaza tribal associations
The following picture is observed on the Black Sea coast. From the Shah River to the present borders of Abkhazia, the Adyg people inhabited the land of Kubykh, between which small Abaza ethnic groups are scattered - Loo, Jigets (Jikhi), Ahchipsou.
To the north of the Shahe River up to the present-day Gelendzhik, the coast is occupied by another Adyg community — the Shapsugs, which are subdivided into coastal and mountainous ones. From Gelendzhik to Taman live Natukhais. To the east of the Shapsugs, practically in the mountainous forest terrain in the basins of the Belaya, Faro, Psefir rivers, there is a large Adygean association Abadzekh. In the north, between the Abadzekhs and the Kuban, there are bzhedukhs. In the east of them - natuhaevtsy. On the plains between the Belaya and Laba rivers, the Temirgoi tribal association is fixed, in the south from them are Egerukhay and Makhosh. The largest part of the settlement of the western Circassians in the area between the Laba and Urup is the Besleney.
According to their social structure, all these Adyg tribal associations broke up into aristocratic and democratic societies, besides dialect differences were present. Such tribes as Bzhedug, Besleney, Temirgoy and others had the hereditary power of princes. Abadzekhs, Shapsugs, Kubykhs had free societies with elected senior officers.
By the 16th century, with the beginning of the Turkish-Tatar expansion, the Circassians receive a new name that was permanently established in other languages - the Circassians (from the Old Persian, the Cherie warrior, and the Kes - people). The nearest neighbors of the Western and Kabardians were the resettled Abazins, who in language terms were divided into two dialects: Tapanta and Shkaraua. Like the Adygs, they were also subdivided into a number of tribal associations.
Representatives of the Shkarua dialect from the lands of the Karachai in the direction of the Black Sea in the mountainous wooded areas, which had the following divisions: Beshelbaev, Tamav, Kyzylbekov, Shahgeev, Bagov, Barakayev. Those who spoke in the Tapanta dialect occupied the headwaters of the Kuban and the headwaters of the Kuma. Their divisions were subdivided according to the names of the forefathers: Loo, Biberdov, Вudarokov, Klychev, Dzhantemirov.
The ancestors of the Karachay in the 14th and 16th centuries were cited in various sources as Turks-Alans or Black Circassians. And only in the 17th century, they begin to appear under their own name associated with the legendary leader of Karchim.

In dagestan I found two potentially new countries that could appear in the game. But I can not find flags for these nations. If anyone has information about these countries and flags for these nations. I would ask for them.

I found information about the existence of these countries on the Russian Wikipedia
The first country is Rutul Bekism
The capital of Rutul
Languages); https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutul_language
Religion ; Islam
Form of government:Monarchy

source of information in Russian:https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Рутульское_бекство
The other country is Akhta Bekism
The capital of Akhta
Languages); lezgian https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lezgian_language
Religion ; Islam
Form of government:Monarchy

source of information in Russian:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ахтынское_бекство

Bez tytułu.png

red dots are the supposed location of the capitals of these countries.
20190722164830_1 — kopia.jpg

red dots are the supposed location of the capitals of these countries.
index.php

The amount of provinces looks surprisingly good, but I would probably cut down on them a bit.
I like you addition of Aragvi, but the province should be part of Kartli, rather than Kakheti, it's the more easternmore mountain tribes in tusheti, khevshureti etc that belong to kakheti, and frankly I'm fine with Kakheti not having connecting land to the north of caucasus, only one country can control the darial gorge.

Instead Aragvi should move westward and incorporate the small eristavs (duchies) of Ksani, thus being the only province with access across the central caucasus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgian_dukes_(eristavs)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Aragvi

To not overdo the number of provinces in Georgia though, I would consider remerging kartli and Tbilisi, to give more room for Tashir (which I believe should be renamed Lori). Lori could get slightely more land from Tbilisi province, giving a proper border to Lomsia

Georgian areas and provinces would then be:
West Georgia/Immereti: Immereti, Odishi, Guria, Abkhazia and Svaneti (all ruled by Immereti)
Central and east Georgia: Aragvi, Kartli/Tbilisi, Lori/Tashiri (ruled my Kartli), Kakheti, Hereti (ruled by Kakheti)

I would probably keep Samtshke to 3 provinces,

Maps I look at suggests the Talysh area ought to be part of QQ, this would severely damage the freedom of smaller states in the area, but might still be the most accurate.

For north caucasus, I think Dagestan proper should get at most one more province.

Avaria should be split in two fro a Chechnya/Vainakh province which would be an OPM. Alania can stay as a tag, but should be owned, or possible vassal of Kabardia.

I can't really figure out what you are trying to do in Circassia, the naming seems very erratic
I would have 4 provinces in Circassia: Termigoy (main province) Abazinia, Shapshugia, Sadz/Ubykhia
And I would rename Circassia to Adyghea

One of the tricky part with Georgia, is how many regions there are to work with, but the limited number of provinces one can have. I think it's good to start by deciding some sort of limits, such as if one is allowed to add any areas, how many tags/provinces in total, strict rules on adding any OPM etc

For example I would make following limits no new georgian area, thus Kartli-Kakheti is looked to 5 provinces

Iwould make 2 new areas in the caucasus, and then work with that, one Arran area, taking southern Shirvan (need to figure out where to put Ganja) and one new area in north caucasus (called central caucasus or Alania. Chechnya can be part of this area)

Areas would then be (with current province count):
Immereti (3)
Samtshke (3)
Georgia (3)
Shirvan (5)
Arran (new)
Circassia (4)
Alania (new)
Dagestan (5)

I also scrapped together an unfinished georgian mission tree
Skärmbild (11).png

The idea is that the first three missions (Immereti, Kartli, Kakheti) have 2 different ways of achieving. Either by directly holding the provinces, or by having target country as a PU before 1460. If the second requirment is fullfilled (which should happen from time to time given the countries have the same dynasty, ticking of the mission will instantly incorporate the PU, no diplo cost, no dip rep lose (the reason why I put a time limit is because otherwise it can be massively exploited to get free territory)

I believe most missions are somewhat self-explanatory to some extent.

Defend georgia requires 3 active forts

Protect against TUR requires an alliance with one of turkey's allies (maybe should witch order here)

Protect Trebizond gives force vassalization if trebizond is independent, otherwise permaclaims

Stabilize Georgia requires having 2 stability and average autonomy under 30%

Georgian wine should be connected to kakheti mission, it requires having a workshop in Kakheti (which should produce wine, the copper could move to hereti)

End crimean threat requires either vassalizing crimea, owning crimea, or having an alliance with crimea

Crush the horde requires to control terek and not have a border to the golden horde

Church of Albania is to convert shirvan and arran areas

Black sea/persian hegemony refers to control of the trade nodes

Patriarchate of Georgia requires an icon comissioned, ctemple in capitol and consecrated metropolitan in capitol area

Beacon of christianity requires 10 churches, and defender of faith or 100% reigious unity

Last edited:
One of the tricky part with Georgia, is how many regions there are to work with, but the limited number of provinces one can have. I think it's good to start by deciding some sort of limits, such as if one is allowed to add any areas, how many tags/provinces in total, strict rules on adding any OPM etc

For example I would make following limits no new georgian area, thus Kartli-Kakheti is looked to 5 provinces

Iwould make 2 new areas in the caucasus, and then work with that, one Arran area, taking southern Shirvan (need to figure out where to put Ganja) and one new area in north caucasus (called central caucasus or Alania. Chechnya can be part of this area)

Areas would then be (with current province count):
Immereti (3)
Samtshke (3)
Georgia (3)
Shirvan (5)
Arran (new)
Circassia (4)
Alania (new)
Dagestan (5)

I also scrapped together an unfinished georgian mission tree
View attachment 501526

The idea is that the first three missions (Immereti, Kartli, Kakheti) have 2 different ways of achieving. Either by directly holding the provinces, or by having target country as a PU before 1460. If the second requirment is fullfilled (which should happen from time to time given the countries have the same dynasty, ticking of the mission will instantly incorporate the PU, no diplo cost, no dip rep lose (the reason why I put a time limit is because otherwise it can be massively exploited to get free territory)

I believe most missions are somewhat self-explanatory to some extent.

Defend georgia requires 3 active forts

Protect against TUR requires an alliance with one of turkey's allies (maybe should witch order here)

Protect Trebizond gives force vassalization if trebizond is independent, otherwise permaclaims

Stabilize Georgia requires having 2 stability and average autonomy under 30%

Georgian wine should be connected to kakheti mission, it requires having a workshop in Kakheti (which should produce wine, the copper could move to hereti)

End crimean threat requires either vassalizing crimea, owning crimea, or having an alliance with crimea

Crush the horde requires to control terek and not have a border to the golden horde

Church of Albania is to convert shirvan and arran areas

Black sea/persian hegemony refers to control of the trade nodes

Patriarchate of Georgia requires an icon comissioned, ctemple in capitol and consecrated metropolitan in capitol area

Beacon of christianity requires 10 churches, and defender of faith or 100% reigious unity

Here are the changes I've made so far

20190723181343_1.jpg

20190723181353_1.jpg

Here are the sources from where I took the flag, I am not even sure if they are real:https://althistory.fandom.com/wiki/Vainakh_Civil_War_(Second_Unification_of_Georgia)
this is the Vainakh Chiefdoms flag
Bez tytułu.png

Now only Kakheti has access to the pass leading to Alan

I will exchange the names of all provinces into tribal names, in Circassia. I need some time for this
Alania will be a vassal of kabardi
A nice idea for missions for Georgian countries.

I will exchange the names of all provinces into tribal names, in Circassia. I need some time for this

Zikhia - Shapshugia
Adyghea - Besleney (Good alternative to my Abazinia province)

I believe Balkaria should extend all across to the Kuban watershed

If you want to keep Kakheti's mountain province, it should be renamed to something else, as Aragvi was a subject of Kartli

Alania will be a vassal of kabardi
Decent compromise

Is Alania in kartli area? Colors are too similiar. And dagestan got one province too many

Based on your map (and the 5 provinces per area maximum) I would suggest using following areas for north
Circassia: Ubykhia, Termigoy, Besleney and Shapshugia
Alania: Alania, Kabardia, Balkaria, Chechnya
Dagestan: as in vanilla

Are you considering uploading this mod? I would enjoy trying it out myself

I was interested in the background of today's military conflicts in the land of the Caucasus: the South Ossetian. Abkhazian.
In South Ossetia, studied according to the labor of Gamrekeli "Dvals and Dvaletia in the I-XV centuries". "PUBLISHING HOUSE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE GEORGIAN SSR TBILISI 1961. http://ingushforum.ru/viewtopic.php?id=2290

Judging by this work, Kartli should be divided. Add another province: Dvaletia (Tuaietia, Tualgom) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvals. It will border on Alania and will gradually turn into Alan land.
Ossetian_tribes.png
Initially, this province was inhabited by the Vainakh tribe Dvals (Tuals), which was mentioned by ancient geographers. Then, during the period of Christianity, they adopted Christianity from the Georgians and gradually adopted Georgian culture, while maintaining their own language. Then, after the defeat of Alania by Tamerlane Kabardians settled Alania, and the Alans themselves moved to the mountains, including Dvaletia, gradually assimilating the inhabitants

I experimented with a Dvaleti province in the past, it's just really small and fairly pointless as there will likely not be any alanian/ossetianculture anyway

In my last iteration of the caucasus, I made a province modifier for Kartli "Ossetian migration" which gave some manpower and unrest.

It would be somewhat practical to have a more dedicated mountain province for Kartli, but it would have to be larger than just South Ossetia,and I don't think Kartli should have more than 3 provinces

I experimented with a Dvaleti province in the past, it's just really small and fairly pointless as there will likely not be any alanian/ossetianculture anyway

In my last iteration of the caucasus, I made a province modifier for Kartli "Ossetian migration" which gave some manpower and unrest.

It would be somewhat practical to have a more dedicated mountain province for Kartli, but it would have to be larger than just South Ossetia,and I don't think Kartli should have more than 3 provinces
The size of South Ossetia is almost equal to the size of North Ossetia. From the 17th century, pure Ossetian (culture).