• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on Thursday, February 25th 2021 At approximately 4PM CST / Friday, February 26th 2021 Midnight UTC. This downtime is estimated to last up to 2 hours.
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

AlexandruRadu

Second Lieutenant
56 Badges
Feb 20, 2015
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 2
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
In this post I will endeavor to give my two cents on what could be done to fix the League Wars in the next patch. (Or even better some sort of HRE/Central Europe Expansion)

I feel that the most important problem of the League wars Is the lack of focus regarding the HRE,the area the conflicts should be restricted too and the lack of player interaction regarding the conflict as a whole. As such I would suggest the following:

1. Allow Players to form and become head of a League and rework the league formation as a whole. This would work as follows:
Any Nation within the HRE with could become league head provided the following conditions were met:
- The Nation is of a religion differing to that of the Emperor. (Simple Enough)
- The Nation has no truce with the Emperor. (Prevents the nation from trying to abuse truces)
- The Nation has -100 or more relations with the current emperor. (This would come naturally and represent resentment directed at the Emperor)
- The Nation has a force limit of 30 or more (This represents the fact that the nation is strong enough to be a power in the Empire)
- A League war has not been fought in 50 years. (This ties into point 2)

2. Allow for more than 1 League War:
Once a side uses the league war it should not be a permanent defeat of their faith. After 50 years have passed the Leagues should once again be formable under the above conditions. This would allow players to not automatically lose if the league war was lost and create greater tension in the HRE.

3. Joining the Leagues: My final point ties into the leagues and the participation of non HRE and especially great powers in the conflict.

The main issue with leagues and the war in general is one side will inevitably have most of the great powers join their side, and end up curb stomping the other side. To counter this I propose the following:
- A Great Power Should only be able to join a side if another Great Power has joined the other side. (This means if Ottomans join the Protestants, one other Great Power could join the Catholics and so on.)
- In this system the Emperor whether a great power or not would count as such, allowing one great power to join the opposing side immediately.
-Finally nations should be able to join the leagues once the conflict has started, representing neutral nations picking a side and if possible should also be able to switch to the other side after being in a league for 10 years. (Representing nations like Denmark switching sides) Peacing out separately as a non HRE member should also be possible after 10 years with a truce and restriction from joining a league again being created for the same amount of time. This would represent the fluid sides well and allow for greater tactical opportunities.

This is what I have right now,but if I find some other suggestion that I think would help regarding the HRE I will make sure to add it in later.

Please note that this is my opinion and the Devs may disagree with it, which I am absolutely ok with. This is just what I think could be changed.

Please tell me what you think about these ideas and list your own on the topic.

Thank you.

Last edited:

This thread is more than 5 months old.

It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose. If you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

AlexandruRadu

Second Lieutenant
56 Badges
Feb 20, 2015
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 2
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
Bump to add in a new concept:

Besides adding the current army modifiers I feel the bonuses given to any Nation in the Leagues should also be of a religious nature.

This could be done as follows:
To represent the backing of their faith's clergy, nations in the leagues should gain points in their respective religious influences. So Papal Influence for Catholics, Fervor for Reformed and Church Power for Protestants.
I would recommend the following values be applied for the duration of league participation:
Catholics: +2 Yearly Papal Influence
Protestants: +10% Church Power Gain
Reformed: +0.25 Fervor
These of course could be changed for balance, but in their current state they correspond to the bonuses provided by the devoutness idea in the Religious Idea Group.

Alongside this I would ask that +2 Tolerance of the Truth Faith, -2 Tolerance of Heretics and +2% Heretic conversion power be given to nations of any of the 3 religions who are participating in the leagues, representing the commitment of the nation to protect and advance their faith. (These bonuses roughly correspond with national ideas of the same type which are already in game.)

Last edited: