• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The remnants of the General council greeted Bonaparte, as he entered Paris.

Vive La Republique, Vive Bonaparte were their cries.

As soon as he could sit down in the Hotel De ville, Auberjonois abdicated his nominal position as the executive of the Provisional government to Bonaparte, declaring him President of the Provisional government of the French Republic

Rebirth
(C. Adelle Pauwels, révolutionnaire)

The conflagration of Paris does not reach the swaying mass of Pauwels' ship. Poseidon, thus far, has been merciful to him: nay a storm to be seen in any direction. His eyes drift to the parcel of correspondences in his hands - the paper is regal in style and ambassadorial in length. Not at all fit for the present. So they fall into the sea's embrace, never seen again by human eyes. Nearly half a decade of existence swallowed whole. He sighs. With the deed done, there can be but one future: the tricolor flies high and prominently on his ship. "Vive la République." The words leave his mouth with a whisper. "Vive Bonaparte."

Oh, I almost forgot! As usual, post-revolution, no penalties for switching/new characters; every new character/switched character will get 1 PP, assuming no exile.

oBZx4mO.png

AN EXCERPT FROM THE JOURNAL OF HECTOR DE MONTVICQ
~~~
November 16, 1866

I suppose the trouble is not with monarchy but with monarchs. And yet, as more reports stream in from Paris I am increasingly disillusioned with the whole ordeal. The democrats have wrought ruin upon France by way of hubris and now all that may be done is build anew. Not that the present disposition of France and her people is the result of their actions alone. No man bears more responsibility for the collapse of our monarchy and the descent of France into Hades than His Majesty, the King, who for want of ancient prerogatives neglected his actual duties. He cast our country into division for the sake of nothing other than his pride. I do not make this statement as anything other than a declaration of fact. He will never again rule France.

There is, in my mind, no question that a properly constituted monarchy is far superior to any republic. As such, my heart grieves for France, which I fear will never know the prosperity and tranquility best achieved under the guises of monarchy. We will lack. We will want. But there is naught which might be done. Our pursuits of good government end here for now. We have been set adrift in a sea with little hope for a return to land. Now we must wait and watch as France contemplates replacing one despot for another. Not that there is anything too terrible to say about despots. After all, they are Man's best masters. The only question that lingers in whether we shall have the despotism of a people or a Bonaparte.

I have made all necessary arrangements to return from Berlin in the next week. I dread to see what has become of France in my absence. Perhaps the fears are unfounded. Perhaps nothing of substance has changed at all. But I doubt that will be the case. France is no longer the same country that it was when I left four years ago. It is scarcely the same country that it was when I returned to it twelve years ago. The air might taste the same, the trees may sway the same, the village schoolchildren may play the same, yet it will not be the same. The air will be republican air, the trees will be the people's trees, and the schoolchildren will play Bonaparte's games. Can such a place be called France? Indeed it might be, but it cannot be called a Kingdom. Now the only question is what can be done to sway that country away from liberty and equality and toward the kind of common brotherhood scarcely available.

A republic is inferior to a monarchy, I believe we will discover, because it lacks any escape from its turmoils. A good monarch can intervene on behalf of his country to stop the malfeasance of his commissioners. A republic can do no such thing. It will either be operated by the hands of the mob or be swallowed whole by it. I have little sympathy for the claim that one is more righteous than the other, although I am convinced of the notion that one is more effective than the other, when managed properly. That being the case, only the blind or the ignorant would be able to claim in defiance of our recent memory that the Charter of 1853, for all of its triumphs, ever guaranteed the kind of superior government impossible under republican rule. But it is lost. And what is truly lost can never be truly regained.

In order to restore justice and promote the common welfare, I have assumed the title of Provisional President of France. I issue the following decrees on behalf of the people of France and for their benefit, which shall remain binding until such time as the democratic government is established:

• The Republic is restored and shall be in future governed by a binding constitution, to be confirmed by means of a national referendum conducted in accordance with universal manhood suffrage.

• The nation resumes her rightful and unbesmirched colors of red, white, and blue.

• The Provisional President of France shall hold and exercise all necessary powers for a limited period, in order to establish the democratic government of the Republic. He shall delegate powers to various officials as necessary.

• All adult residents of France shall retain and resume their natural and sovereign rights as citizens, including universal manhood suffrage and freedom from censorship, so long as the exercise of those rights is not contrary to the public order.

• Amnesty for all crimes committed during the previous period of uncertainty shall be granted to all citizens of France, contingent upon the public swearing of an oath of loyalty to the Republic before a relevant civil authority. The only parties exempt shall be those officials found guilty of engaging in high crimes through the misappropriation of the apparatus of state.

• Civil officials and military officers shall be expected to continue in their roles, contingent upon the transmission of their oath of loyalty to the Republic. Any official who does not so swear or does not wish to serve shall be permitted to resign.

• The armed forces of the Republic shall exercise those civil powers delegated to it by the Provisional President for the duration of the transitional period.

• The Republic shall maintain her diplomatic, commercial, and financial obligations.

• The Republic shall assume stewardship of all assets occupied by the former ruling family, as officially recognized, within France or her territories.

• The former ruling family and its members, as officially recognized, shall henceforth no longer be considered citizens of France, and shall be barred from remaining in or entering into France or her territories.

• The Republic declares peace and amity toward all nations, and animosity toward none, in the global fraternity of sovereign powers.

For the Republic,
Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte

• 2Like
Reactions:
((@etranger01

Name: Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte
Bonus Name: Prince-Liberator
PP: All of it, for now.))

The following story was told to me in confidence by a man who was present, he swears it is true.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Last Stand of General Godefroy Raymond de la Rhone

The General sat down with some of his men at a barricade near the Hotel du Ville - maybe a block stood between them and revolutionary forces who were surrounded at the building. With Rhone stood two of his most trusted men, Mr. Bisset, and Mr. Jean-Luc, together the three of them acted as the core command structure of this hastily assembled militia, all three former military having served together in Algeria for over a decade. The three of them were drawing in the dirt with sticks trying to discuss some form of battle plan as I sat at the next barricade watching them.

I had known the three of them for just a day personally, though I have heard of the exploits of the good General well before this, and his presence with us gave me great heart. He was no coward right on the front line with us, even in his advanced age. Some would call him fool hardy, but nobody to his face - he was old enough to be many of our great-grandfathers so the idea of him standing their beside us with his own revolver and sabre fighting just as the rest of us was awe inspiring. A true hero to the common man, here this man had everything, he had wealth, connections, reason to want to cooperate with the order at be, and here he was in the rubble and dirt with us! It is my opinion that without him Paris would have fallen, and we definitely would not have pushed the royalist position so hard as to cause the King himself to flee in terror.

Yet, in hindsight, you could see the age on him, he was getting tired, slow. He wasnt able to keep up with the rest of us and was getting sloppy as he tried. He tried to hide it, and we the men, tried to pretend he wasnt 50 years our senior, but truth be told we should have told him to stay back and rest. Alas, we were two wrapped up in our fervor at the time to think, and part of me doubts we would have been able to rescue our friends at the Hotel du Ville if he stayed back and rested. In a cruel twist of fate, we needed him in this moment, a moment of his glory, that he should never see.

At this point the General and his two aides had finished planning and runners were sent to inform everyone of the plan. It was at this point I discovered the plan, those of us with rifle were to go into buildings and flanking positions to draw fire and engage the enemy. After a few minutes of high intensity gun fire was exchanged the rest of us armed with sabres and revolvers - by number the vast majority of our forces - were to marshall on the side streets and prepare to storm the position from every angle. Those of us without military experience were reassured that this wasn't as crazy as it sounded for the artillery takes time to reload and between the artillery blasts we would be able to cross the distance and take their position - the chassepot was good at range, but a sabre and revolver were superior at close combat. Considering, the royalists were better trained then us a prolonged shooting fight was deemed to be a losing proposition. Elan was our only way to win, and defeat meant death to our comrades at the Hotel du Ville. We couldn't abandon them.

An hour later our attack began, I was one of the many armed with sabre and revolvers - we were generally the bigger men, and those who were worse shots. I.e. those who were best used in a great melee. At this point though, our fervour was getting suppressed by fatigue, hunger, and the growing fear that royalism may prevail. Truly, in that way our weakness is what caused the Generals death, for if we held heart and acted as his plan called for he would be here with us to share in the spoils. But alas, at the time of the attack, the royalist scum pulled up an ace in their sleeve, they suspected a ploy with our riflemen and had been saving some of their artillery and not firing it waiting for our attack. They timed it well, as we rushed forward and crossed half way to their barricade they opened fire - dozens were cut down in an instant. We faltered. Then the second cannon fired, dozens more cut down, and at this point we started to run fear in our eyes, failure in our souls.

As we ran back to our barricades we saw before us, the General charge forward sabre in hand carrying the Tricolor shouting: "For the republic, death to tyrants! Men, to arms, to me, charge!" We stood their dumbfounded as this lone man charged forward behind him some of his trusted men followed. The rest of us on seeing this display by our comrade rallied and began our charge anew. We were greeted by another cannon blast with a two dozen more cut down. Yet, with all the men cut down we reached the barricade, the royalist scums eyes shown with terror - we had crossed their killing zone and now it was their turn to be killed. Dozens of royalist troops were shot and cut apart by our men, our numbers were too great and their will to fight collapsed with that they retreated. The way to the Hotel du Ville was cleared.

With the road cleared the General asked for volunteers to join him defend the Hotel du Ville, to relieve the men already defending it. I volunteered, along with many others. At this point I would follow this man to hell and back. He was my hero, I knew no braver man fighting in melee at his age? With his station? Yet, here is where everything unraveled, our delay in our attack, perhaps only minutes, had given time for the royalist scum to form up and prepare the assault on the Hotel du Ville. They did not care that we had just linked up, they pushed anyways and we were caught crossing the street to get in the door by a hail of bullets. Half of us dropped immediately, the rest sprinted for the door. We just got inside as the first wave of royalist troops started climbing the steps to storm the Hotel - bayonets fixed we could tell they were going to take no prisoners.

We were shaken, our morale was low, we thought maybe we should try and flee out the back door or escape somehow. This is when the General stepped forward and thrust his flag into the interior wall sticking up prominently in the middle of the room. Drawing his revolver he looked as us and said "Men, we cannot let them get this flag, if one scummy royalist even lays his grimy little hand on it we may as well surrender. And let me tell you boys, there has never been a better day to die." With that he walked forward and aimed his revolver at the door as it burst open and royalists started charging through. Time felt like it stood still as we stood their staring as the General fire shot, after shot, from his revolver dropping the first 7 men himself before he emptied his gun. The rest of us still in shock, acted too slow - the 8th man, a man who probably rued the rest of his short life after this - came through and fired catching the General in the chest causing the old man to collapse. Seeing our beloved General fall right before our eyes replaced our fear and desperation with rage. All thought of retreat was now gone and we charged forward.

I personally engaged the 8th man ran him through with my sabre before moving on to keep fighintg. The attack last 30 minutes. At the end of it there was 15 of us left and the royalists had fled. I tracked down this reviled man who shot our beloved leader and in a fit of rage and anger hacked his wretched body to pieces. I had lost more than just a General that day, I had lost a mentor, a role model. France had lost one of her greatest sons. His blood wasted on her soil fighting against a tyrant, instead of in a foreign land bringing glory to France.

To Rhones death, is but tragedy, a stark reminder to France, that when tyrants rise good men pay the ultimate price. Yet, through the courage and honor of men we can save her from even the worst of Tyrants. To me Rhone was the hero France needed, but to the hero, there shall be no peace time. His lot is but the shed his blood for those lesser men who lack the courage.

• 3Like
Reactions:
"Steady men, steady! Pour fire onto them!" the clash was upon the Prince Royal, there was no turning back now. "Sons of Saint Louis now is the time, for Montjoy and Saint Denis!" But fight as he must there was no end to them. Just a sea of red clad warriors. The whole of Paris set against him, if this was the end at least he would meet it knowing a King resided in Palace but with a sharp bang he began to awaken from his dream.

Through drowsy eyes he could see the light of the midday sun pouring into his chambers. His ears beheld the sound of the changing of the guard outside of his window but it was not the familiar sound of the le Retour des Princes français à Paris, no, it was the Marcha Real! Spain? Am I reliving my youth, as my memories flash before my eyes? As he took in his surrounding he realized he was not alone in the room, indeed he found members of his family beside his bedside. And Uncle Nemours!

"Am I... are we?..." softly queried the comte de Paris as he looked at the figures standing before him. Familiar faces one and all.

"You are very much alive," brusquely answered Nemours. "Very much alive. We are as well. And before you ask, yes, it will take more than an army of rebels to force me to meet my maker. Welcome to Spain, now do proper honors to His Majes..."

"When the doctors said you were rousing from your deep sleep we made here post-haste!" interrupted the duc de Montpensier. "Your Mother and brother are on their way. All of us are here now, together."

"Uncle is right..." winced Orleans' as he raised himself into a seated position. "I heard of your triumph, allow me to congratulate your victory, your Majesty."

"No, no, don't get out of bed!" replied the Spanish King. "You still need to rest, you and everyone else who came from the recent unpleasantness in France."

"Now that you've awakened..." interrupted Nemours. "France is lost for the moment. King Henri is said to have fled but we do not know where yet. Adherents of our family are arriving in Madrid. I have been handling providing for them and making sure that they and our own family do not create a political burden for the government here. Things are quite unsettled. For the moment, we should devote our energies to securing the throne for His Majesty and await further events in France. But I don't need to tell you that, your Royal Highness."

"No, you are quite right. We must defend the throne our family has currently before restoring our birthright," said Orléans as everyone gathered around nodded to his words. "Your Majesty, please reiterate to the Spanish Council of Ministers that we have no plans to agitate in regards to France but instead are resolutely committed to the cause of defending the honor of His Most Catholic Majesty..."

" ... we have already made those representations, young master," said Nemours. "And I think we are fine for the moment. All things considered we are lucky we have a second home to return to. In time I am sure we will have a larger role to play here but for now we tend to our investments in this country and cultivate our friends."

"And we have plenty of friends," smiled the Spanish King. "Perhaps more of the fair weather type than we would like but victory forgives many things. Many things. And before you start lecturing me your Royal Highness," flashing a winning smile, "I have stayed here longer than either you, your Uncle, or anyone here. I know a little bit about how to make my way around here and yes, it is as treacherous as you are about to tell me. And believe me when I say with much regret I must contemplate appointing an Ambassador, or perhaps a Minister if they decide on a Republic, to the entity now constructing its hive in the halls of our ancestors. I have not heard much in the way of consensus among the Concert, so we must be prepared for any eventuality."

"I am not offended your Majesty, far from it," said Orléans. "The King of Spain must serve the Spanish people. Just as I must serve the people of France, as far away I am from it for now."

• 1Like
Reactions:
The pen scribbled quickly.

"Lièvremont is a faithful servant of the rightful King of France, Henri V. He remains loyal, to the end of this life, to the end of that afterlife. My family knows of my love for them. Weep not. Vive la France, vive la Loi, vive le Roi!".

And Hélène, holding young Isidore in the carriage, looked upon those words carefully. Quietly.

Bouchardon stands before a crowd of Lyonnaise workers and supporters of the revolution...

Citoyens of Lyons,

Congratulations are in order. While the rest of France has cowered in fear of the aristocrats, you have thrust off your chains. You have proven the power of the ordinary Frenchman when he is able to cooperate with his countrymen. You have liberated Lyons, and for this you shall always occupy a cherished position in the history of mankind's struggle for greater freedom. You will be rewarded greatly in this new republic, enjoying the fruits borne of your immense courage in the midst of revolutionary chaos.

Let us welcome the Prince-Liberator. His mere presence in this country was enough to do away with a thousand years of history. The past is destroyed, shattered by the deeds of both great men and ordinary ones. The Prince-Liberator brings us democracy and ushers in a new thousand years of history, one in which the people shall rule themselves.

But do no fret about this talk of destroying the past. This is not 1789. We remember well the failures of 1789, which tried to get rid of history before determining what it should be replaced with. What exactly we will replace it with this time is still to be determined. And who will determine it? The same people who decided to rid themselves of the past in the first place - you, the people.

So let us take hold of history while it is still before us. Grasp it and do not let it go! In order to make a new history, we must make sure that nothing remains of the old. The crimes of the old order that drove you, ordinary men, to the chaos of revolution. These crimes must be accounted for. The traitors shall not be allowed freedom! Just as a doctor purges his patient of all the disease within their body, so too must the people purge their republic of all that diseases it.

And so to achieve this purging of the old we will hold trials. These will not be the trials of old France, where the aristocrat and bourgeois gentleman point their fingers at the ordinary Frenchman and shout, "There is the criminal! Hang him!" Instead, the ordinary Frenchman will point his finger at the traitors, the aristocrat and the bourgeois gentleman, and shout "These are the criminals! Hang them!" Several buildings will be sectioned off for the trials. Convictions and sentences will be determined by a majority vote of those present. And only those who are true supporters of the new regime are eligible to vote.

Citoyens, this is the time for action. This is the time to purge ourselves of the disease of nobility and capital. The Old France was built with the blood of the worker. With whose blood shall a New France be made?

((Private - @99KingHigh))

From the Office of the President

General François Achille Bazaine,
Commanding Officer, XIXth Corps

Mon général,

I am entrusting you with tasks of the most urgent and sensitive nature. You will find enclosed all relevant documents empowering you to carry these matters forward. Should you require further resources, do not hesitate to make your needs known to me immediately.

The following issues are to be resolved at once:

Securing the persons of ex-Minister Lievremont, General Lamoriciere, General Changarnier, and any other official or officer suspected of high crimes or who has not otherwise made their loyalty known.
The dispatch of appropriate forces to Brest to secure the person of ex-Minister Vallee and restore the naval chain of command.
The stationing of picked guards for myself, my councilors and ministers, the Prince of Polignac, and the Count of La Marche, as well as appropriate protection for their domiciles and families.
The preparation of a readied force of appropriate size with proper instructions, to act in the event of any further unrest or disorder.

You did excellent work during the late unpleasantness, and I have no doubt in your competence and loyalty. Carry on.

In the name of the Republic,
N.B.

---

((Private - @Andre Massena))

Mon cher Domadeaux,

No temporal reward would ever be sufficient for your heroic labors on my behalf. As such, I hereby issue you more work. Assume the title of interim Minister of the Interior, for my sake, and take charge of our internal forces. You will work closely with Generals MacMahon and Bazaine to ensure the public order. Please find enclosed your official letter of commission.

I anticipate a substantial amount of turnover among the ranks of the officials and the officer corps, and I shall be hard at work naming new occupants for the offices of those who abandon their duties. Keep a close eye on them all, particularly those aristocrats who swear the oath, in case they are merely hiding their true intent. We will want to gradually retire those whose commitment is merely lukewarm, and suppress those who actively refuse their true allegiance to the Republic.

The world must see a France that is strong and steady, and you will assist me in projecting that strength and steadiness.

With fondest regards,
Napoleon

• 1Like
Reactions:
Raymound de la Rhone picture.jpg

Name: Raymound de la Rhone
Born: 13 June 1827 (Age 39)
Profession: Industrialist - CEO and CFO of Rhone Armouries
Political Beliefs: Occitan Nationalism, Rallied Bonapartist
Religion: Catholic

Biography:
Personal/Business life
The second son of Godefroy Raymound de la Rhone, Raymound was always embarrassed that he could not live up to his father martial record. Raymound was small, and not very physically inclined. This lead to him being neglected by his father much of his childhood in favour of his brother who was a spitting image of his Dad, albeit without the ingenuity - that at least seems to have went to Raymound leaving him with something. Growing up proved to be very difficult for Raymound as a result, always being second best to his fathers favourite son.

Come adulthood, with his brother already a commissioned officer, Raymound choose a different path - finance. As the first member of his family he went to a higher education and learned all the tips and tricks about finance. With his new found education he hoped to make his way into his fathers good graces with by convincing him to start a factory with all of his money. Though in an unhappy coincidence he was fired from his position as General of Algeria around the time Raymound graduated, upon firing Rhone pledged to create an arms factory. It was at this moment Raymound started getting back into his fathers good graces - as the CFO, and major helper in the new factory.

For the last 14 years of his fathers life Raymound drew closer to his father for the first time in his life as his chief aid in the arms industry. Quickly, becoming a very competent arms designer himself as well as financial wizard. Quickly, the entire Rhone estate was organized through Rhone Armouries and was manged by Raymound the entire business being his goal. Come 1862 his father started stepping back from the business to focus on politics, and had appointed Raymound as CEO of the company.

With the death of his father in the revolution of 1866, Raymound and his brother would jointly own Rhone Armouries, though Raymound would continue as CEO, and CFO of the company.

Politics:
Raymound is a proud Occitan, and in general will speak Occitan to anyone and everyone and will only switch to Parisian when someone asks him kindly too.

It is his firm belief that Parisians and elite in general have been trying to crush his people culture and language for the last 100 years and he is tired of it. France is a country of many people and not just of Parisians. The arrogance of the Parisian elite to think that their little city is all the matters causes Raymounds blood to boil. His beautiful homeland in Occitania is not second fiddle to Paris' dumpster fire and where his father was too weak to act on that he hopes to fix it.

While his father was staunchly and unflinchingly Bonapartist, Raymound is less sold. Not knowing the Empire and only hearing his fathers longing memories of it, he is on the fence whether it is best for the Occitan people. However, compared to the Tyranny that was the Bourbons, Raymound is willing to see Louis-Napoleon reign - perhaps he may even grow to admire the man as much as his father. But, it is to his fathers memory that he hopes to honor by respecting his final wishes and seeing Louis-Napoleon in power, at least, until he proves an enemy to the Occitan people.

How quickly the fortunes of fate changed. Yesterday there had been a King, now there was a Bonaparte... Probably soon an Emperor once more, or so time would have to tell.

There was little inclination to flee abroad, others may attempt it and do well in trying so lest they find themselves a head short. Yet Vallee had been abroad in the service of France for as long as he could take, he was getting older and exile seemed to hold little promise. Perhaps there may yet be some mercy to be found from a Bonapartist court, he had after all left Paris before the real outbreak of hostilities... Surely he couldn't be held accountable for the crimes he did not know were taking place?

All there was to do now was to ensure continuity. He would stay with the Atlantic Fleet in Brest, ordering that no ships were to leave or be commandeered by those seeking to escape the country and go into exile. The vessels were ultimately servants of France, not servants of whichever unlucky Monarch or his friends who had once ruled and now found it prudent to leave. He himself would wait in Brest, surely someone was likely to be along for him at some point... Sooner or later. To any who would listen he sent out a final telegram.

(Atlantic Fleet, Medditeranean Fleet & Other Naval Installations)

THE BATTLE FOR PARIS IS OVER.STOP. REMAIN AT YOUR POSTS.STOP. DO NOT OFFER TRANSPORT TO GOVERNMENT MINISTERS OR OTHERS SEEKING EXILE.STOP. AWAIT ORDERS FROM NEW GOVERNMENT IN PARIS.STOP. THE KING HAS FALLEN FRANCE AND THE MARINE ENDURES.STOP.

(Vallee)

Last edited:

Description de cette image, également commentée ci-après
... my nephew, the Prince Royal has now awoken from his deep sleep! All the family celebrated today. His bravery is an example to us all. Truthfully, I am bit envious of him; All that dash, that gallantry, and here I sit having to deal with the Council day in and day out! Our royal father was right, there is no glory in ruling. Only a litany of complaints to be heard. I am reminded of that episode where Hadrian while in Egypt, tired of administering justice for the day, attempted to retire for the afternoon and was stopped by women who spat out, "You are a Lord! And you will not do me justice! Then cease to be an Emperor!" Then the Roman Emperor then turned around and solved the woman's concerns.

The marqués de los Castillejos is most anxious to send a Minister to this 'French Republic' and as much as I despise the thought, we need peace. Therefore, General Prim has drawn up a list of names for me to approve and I cannot find fault in his or the Council's logic. If this 'President' Bonaparte can quiet any continued panic at the Paris Bourse I would actually be grateful, it would do much to quiet the deputies in Cortes and their worries about our own financial house.

Oh Spain! So far from God, so close to the French ...

• 1Like
Reactions:
oBZx4mO.png

ASSORTED CORRESPONDENCES OF THE VICOMTE OF MONTVICQ
~~~
Part Two: 1866-1871 - The Eagle Rises, Autumn 1866
[Hector de Montvicq, trans. James Crawford (2001)]
___________________________________________________________________________________________
In his personal notes, Montvicq was always eager to emphasize that he was the last to acquiesce to the republic. While he apparently lacked the firm ideology of monarchism that committed most legitimists to its cause, he also shared many worries common to the elite. His early correspondence, however, leaves no doubt as to his position. Forced to choose between exile in Berlin (for he evidently presumed he was unwanted in Madrid or Vienna) and rallying to the republic, Montvicq chose the former. Yet he did not choose to remain in Prussia, instead choosing to inform Bonaparte that he had tendered his resignation in his November 4th letter to Bessin and that he would prefer to have his resignation respected despite his willingness to swear the oath. Around the same time, he also began sending letters to former associates and acquaintances in France, many of which sought to both provide reassurances and seek counsel for the trying times ahead.

. . .

((Private - @etranger01))

Monsieur le président,

As a matter of logistics, I feel it necessary to inform you that I tendered by resignation to Monsieur du Bessin on the fourth day of this month, with the intention to return to France as soon as became possible. My return and the transfer of authority was, of course, delayed by recent events and for that I do apologize. I have no qualms with swearing my allegiance to the republic just as I had done to our prior government, but I must confess that I wish to return to France promptly and settle my affairs in Bourbonnais.

If it is necessary to the common good of France for me to remain for a short duration in Berlin, I have few qualms with pleading to M. Bismarck our present situation. I simply ask that I be relieved within the next several weeks so that I may return to France as previously arranged.

Je vous prie de croire, Monsieur le président, à l'assurance de mes salutations distinguées,

MONTVICQ.

. . .

((Private - @DensleyBlair))

Monsieur du Bessin,

I write this letter in the hopes that it will find you and your family in good health despite our present circumstances. Indeed, I must admit to you that I both grieve the loss of the Kingdom and feel as though its demise had become well-deserved. Perhaps it is the hubris of men, as always, that has led us to our present juncture. The more days pass and the more I hear of what France has experienced in the past weeks, the more I worry for its ability to rebuild. It seems to me as though many are confident that Monsieur Bonaparte will make all right, but is he not also a mortal man?

While I have my hesitations about endorsing the republic, I also feel as though our country now lacks any viable alternative. The monarchy as we knew it died with the ones the press calls the "Martyrs of November Tenth." Hence, I am afraid the only question will be what any man can do to save the people of France from their undoing at the hands of the socialists. What are your thoughts? Is it a doomed crusade? I trust and esteem your counsel.

I hope to read your response soon and again, wish you and your family safety,

Cordialement,

MONTVICQ.

. . .

((Private - @Michaelangelo))

Monsieur de Rohan,

I hope this letter finds you well and does not come as too great a surprise to you. Similarly, I hope that you have not forgotten my acquaintance, being introduced through Monsieur de Conde several years ago as we were. While my motivations for contacting you are many, I hope that we will be able to discuss certain matters with which France will be dealing in these letters. Hearing only pieces of information from Berlin as I have been, I worry greatly for the security of our country.

What thoughts do you have on the matter? I believe it would be naive to imagine the monarchy's return when it has lost all dignity in the eyes of the people, but my opinion is that of a man who has not been in France for years. Am I wrong to believe that our only option henceforth is a republic? And if I am not, what must we do to ensure that it not fall victim to jacobinism?

Again, I hope that you and your family are in good health and have found safety and security.

Cordialement,

MONTVICQ.

((Private - @Andre Massena))

Mon cher Domadeaux,

No temporal reward would ever be sufficient for your heroic labors on my behalf. As such, I hereby issue you more work. Assume the title of interim Minister of the Interior, for my sake, and take charge of our internal forces. You will work closely with Generals MacMahon and Bazaine to ensure the public order. Please find enclosed your official letter of commission.

I anticipate a substantial amount of turnover among the ranks of the officials and the officer corps, and I shall be hard at work naming new occupants for the offices of those who abandon their duties. Keep a close eye on them all, particularly those aristocrats who swear the oath, in case they are merely hiding their true intent. We will want to gradually retire those whose commitment is merely lukewarm, and suppress those who actively refuse their true allegiance to the Republic.

The world must see a France that is strong and steady, and you will assist me in projecting that strength and steadiness.

With fondest regards,
Napoleon

((Private- @etranger01))

Your Excellency,

France shall be yours. I have waited my entire life for this and I shall not let your destiny slip from your grasp.

Our work has only begun.

Your friend and soldier,

-Domadeaux

Domadeaux glanced at his suitably dramatic response with pride. Obviously he could walk over in person to tell Bonaparte but it was better, more official, this way.

He glanced out his window and his smile immediately curled into a grimace. Paris was a smoking ruin. The Bourbon Apocalypse made the June Days seem like a picnic. He was thankful he was not present. He had enough of bloodshed and war. Thank God for Rhone, that magnificent bastard, Bouchard, Deschamps, Lecuyer, Auberjonois, all of them.

The destruction, however, presented an opportunity. There was much work to be done...

"The only thing I regret," he said to Oscar-Napoleon, "is that I can no longer make cartoons."

• 1Like
Reactions:
The dust settled, while the ash still rained over Paris, the blood flowed in the streets and rats and flies devored what was left of the thousands of dead bodies. Jérôme had written his last will and testament before the cessation of the ceasefire. It was handed to Auberjonois, Condé, Henri de Rohan, Polignac and telgraphed to his wife. With his death they were ordered to open it.

The first bit was published in open letter, in le Siecle and la Presse by Elisabet Lécuyer.

The Last Will of Citizen J.Lécuyer. Co-executive of the Provisional Governmenr of France.

Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte, the Prince-Liberator it is my wish that if he ever reach Paris and start the noble cause of lifting the siege so begun wickedly begun by His Most Jesuit Petty tyrant Henri and his henchmen, chief among them the spawn of evil Lievremont, he is to be proclaimed and recognized by the true government of France, that of the people, the Provisional Government of France as the Executive of said government. He is the liberator of France, the champion of the people, the protector of the Nation.

My last wish is for France to remain a liberal and democratic Republic. Based on the Natural and Human Rights of Man and Popular Sovereignty.

(...) Prince de Condé is made the closest of kin to the young Duc de Lécuyer. Now and forever.

Prince de Polignac is made the closest of kin to Armand Lécuyer. Now and forever.

Henri de Rohan and his wife is the closest of kin to all other remaining Lécuyers.

Citizen Auberjonois, I grant you my dearest cat Philippe. (...)

With Fraternity, Citizen Jérôme Lécuyer.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Though the effect of the first is dubious an additional set of telegrams are sent by Vallée before getting on a train towards Paris.

(Atlantic Fleet, Medditeranean Fleet & Other Naval Installations)

RAISE THE TRICOLOUR.STOP. ALLOW TRANSPORT OF ALGERIAN ARMY.STOP. REMAIN AT YOUR POSTS.STOP. THE REPUBLICAN MARINE IS REBORN.STOP. VIVE LA FRANCE.STOP.

(Vallée)

(Ministry of the Marine and Colonial Affairs - @etranger01)

DELIVER THIS MESSAGE ONTO MONSIEUR BONAPARTE.STOP. NAVY INSTRUCTED TO RAISE THE TRICOLOUR.STOP. REMAINING IN PORT GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS TO PREVENT ESCAPE OF ROYALISTS.STOP. TRANSFERING CONTROL OF FLEET TO DEPENDABLE MEN.STOP. ARRIVING IN PARIS FROM BREST BY TRAIN IN TWO DAYS.STOP. PRESENTING MYSELF FOR TRIAL.STOP. VIVE LA FRANCE.STOP.

(Vallée)