• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Your Majesty, it would be an honor for myself, my father, and for Descombes and Company, to accept your request. We shall see to it that the accounts are transferred to Descombes and Company protection and shall ensure the money transferred per annum is split into their proper accounts." said Alexandre.
"M. Detend will require monthly reports, young man," asked the King. "Since your bank also seeks to do business with the government the assets I have placed in it shall be managed by duly appointed persons not in government service in order not to give the appearance of mixing state business with my private business. These fellows are quite familiar with my interests and can be trusted to make all necessary decisions.

"If there is nothing else, you are free to go."

A Letter to the Prince de Guémené ((@Michaelangelo))

Your Excellency.

Descombes and Company offers you a personal loan of a million francs at an interest rate of 2% a year. The only thing left needed for the bank is some form of collateral from your excellency's assets in the event that you are unable to pay off the loan. This is not a mark of distrust, it is a common practice the banking industry does in regards to loans of such magnitude. Once collateral is offered, we will gladly sign a contract for the loan at the given interest rate.

-Alexandre, Baron Descombes

((Private - @naxhi24))

Baron Descombes,

The interest rate is acceptable considering the amount involved. As for collateral, I shall use part of my estates in Montbazon. The lands are assessed at a value higher than the loan, so in the event that I am unable to meet the payments, the bank may seize part of the estate to recover their losses. I hope this is acceptable to you.

- Louis de Rohan, Prince de Guémené

To Jacques de Rothschild ((PRIVATE - @Davout))

My dear Rothschild,

I hope that this letter finds you well and that your travels proceed with utmost felicity. Alas, the burdens of government weigh heavily indeed, and I envy your present liberty tremendously.

I write you today because I find myself the recipient of a finalized inheritance. By now you should be aware of the terms.

Though my late father was content to allow his funds to endlessly accrue, I find myself without his estates and thus no means of future income. Moreover, I am very interested in serving as patron for those innovative enterprises that are presently springing up in the north. Such interest much also be leavened with caution and the desire for well-tested ventures, of course, but I find myself fascinated by the chemins de fer and other industries which we have discussed.

To cut to the heart of the matter, my friend, I wish to retain the services of your esteemed family, and you in particular, to handle my business affairs and investments. I shall retain my present banker to handle my joint and entailed properties, as well as my family funds, but I had hoped to deposit ten or fifteen million with Rothschild Frères. Two-thirds should be earmarked initially for conservative investments -- land, basically -- but the other third is for the aforementioned innovations. We shall discuss the particulars upon your return to France, but I hope to shift the ratios if the new ventures are as productive as hoped.

Moving to politics, I had hoped to prevail upon you for your support in the present slate of legislation before the Chamber. Undoubtedly you are aware of it, and your support of the government's position would be invaluable. I regret that we could not include the support for the rabbinate in the Charter; in that respect my caution and desire for its passage outweighed the obvious justice of your case. I therefore hope to present a bill before the Chamber in the coming session, should the government be sustained, to rectify the matter. Circumstance and misunderstanding have led to a great deal of injustice for you to endure, and my desire is that all such injustices be set aright in the coming term.

Please give my best to your wife and family. Do call upon us at the Hôtel when you return to Paris.

Fond regards,
Armentiéres

"M. Detend will require monthly reports, young man," asked the King. "Since your bank also seeks to do business with the government the assets I have placed in it shall be managed by duly appointed persons not in government service in order not to give the appearance of mixing state business with my private business. These fellows are quite familiar with my interests and can be trusted to make all necessary decisions.

"If there is nothing else, you are free to go."

"I will assure you, Your Majesty, it will be done according to your wishes." said Alexandre, as he stood up, bowed, and walked out of the room.

((Private - @naxhi24))

Baron Descombes,

The interest rate is acceptable considering the amount involved. As for collateral, I shall use part of my estates in Montbazon. The lands are assessed at a value higher than the loan, so in the event that I am unable to meet the payments, the bank may seize part of the estate to recover their losses. I hope this is acceptable to you.

- Louis de Rohan, Prince de Guémené

Your Excellency.

The terms confirmed are as such:

I. Your Excellency shall receive a personal loan of 1 million francs

II. The Interest Rate shall be 2% per annum.

III. The de Rohan land in Montbazon shall be used as collateral in the event the loan is not paid off.

We advise a representative from the de Rohan household to come to the Descombes and Company main building in Paris to confirm the details. Once that is done, the money shall be transferred into your excellency's care.

We also advise that your excellency adopt a ten-year payment plan in order to properly pay off the debt. Such plans can be formalized by the representative and Descombes and Company during their meeting.

Name: Jakob Rothschild (@Davout)
Bonus Name: Absentee Financier
Description: Out of power, if tragically for a good cause, Rothschild is off to travel. [1]
PP Bonus: +.25

[1] Amusing, Rothschild was quite right from a historical perspective. All who accused him of anachronism were quite wrong; the July Monarchy paid stipends to Rabbis. Alas, we have a King of France, and not a King of the French, etc. :p

((You knew that, and I knew that but would they listen?))

Law on Elections: Oui
Amendment to the Law on Elections: Non
Law on Communal Governance: Oui
Law on Public Education: Oui
Law on Finance Reform: Oui
Law on Deficit Prevention: Oui
Law on the Civil Liberties: Oui
Law on the Electoral Rolls: Oui
Law on the Army Lists: Oui
Law on the Abolition of Article 26 of the Charter of 1830: Oui

(I was right PP 0.25)
(Liberal)

QAc8JC.jpeg

For the defence
in the trial of Marshal Moncey

It is fundamental to a case of such gravity as this, keen in its interest not only to the consumers of today's current affairs, but pertinent also to the formation of a settlement in the future, that proper boundaries be established as to the purview of the examination. Namely—and I will be brief—the court must decide whether it wishes to deal in questions of morality, or otherwise in questions of law; for the two are not always one and the same.

It is the opinion of the defence counsel that the legal case in this instance is quite simple, and here I must speak coldly and without personal prejudice, for my own opinions on the matter as a private citizen are known to many and do not accord in their entirety with what I am about to say; namely, that King Charles acted legally in issuing the ordinances of Saint-Cloud, as according to the Charter of 1814, which reserved for the king all executive power—whether this be the case de facto or not.

Therefore, what is the treason? The Marshal countersigned Charles's ordinances knowing them to be lawful. We may find this act distasteful, or unprincipled—but the courts are not the guardians of taste and principle. They must apply the law, as it was, and do so blindly, without prejudice, for this is the realm of the moral.

The moral considerations of this case are, of course, numerous. What is the significance, for example, of the Marshal's resignation? How are we to reconcile the damage done by the ordinances with their status in law? Who is to bear the responsibility for this discord? The first consideration is, I believe, a simple matter: having assented to the King's plan under certain assumptions, relating chiefly to the perceived degree of support for the King amongst the people, the Marshal came to see the scale of his misjudgement and made known his protest.

The second consideration in more troublesome, for we feel we must be entitled to legal recourse upon the breakdown of one social contract. I ask the learned gentlemen, from where does this entitlement come? We have had our redress in the form of a new and nobler charter, which has done much to correct certain abuses present in the old system. If, as the party of the current king are so keen to suggest, this represents nothing more drastic than the changing of the head of state, how do we prosper from cultivating discord where none exists?; from drawing a line of divide between the old and the new?; from establishing a new, more just France? Let us not forget the mythos of the actions of June, which we will not call treason as long as it prospers, but instead hail as a judicious exercise of the right
of the citizenry to good government. Let us forget neither that the Revolution Prosper's only so long as it does not become destabilised and fall into the realm of tyrannical excess. The recent history of France is burdened with just this state of excess, and we would do well to ensure we do not carry this burden in vain. Therefore, we can do naught but lament that the old system was so imperfect as to allow Charles's actions—save to ensure that as we craft a new system if suffers from no such weaknesses.

The third consideration is pressing in examining the nature of the charges brought against the ministers. I alluded earlier to that old aphorism, that as long as treason prospers none dare call it treason. The victors of June profit from this arrangement in that it all but secures their absolution from all blame for the evil that occurred during the Revolution. The actions of the citizenry were righteous, and therefore exist in the collective mémoire with impunity. All the fault must belong to those whose actions provoked the struggle, and thus in this detail we find the basis of a need to assess wrongdoing. Yet this logic denies the revolutionaries of their agency, elsewhere so vital in their actions. I remind the court that I, too, was provoked to action by the ordinances, albeit of a reasonably pacific nature. I do not seek to abdicate this responsibility. Too often, we have seen it such that, insofar as the assumption of responsibility furthers the myth of the glory of the Revolution, it is accepted, only to be rejected when it becomes troublesome. Yet if we are to be fair in our settlement, blame must be apportioned as it is merited, thus those who led the charges against the People must be held to account on equal footing to those leading the charges in the opposite direction.

I make this point because I fear that this trial is part of an effort to abdicate some of this blame, and as such to prevent the corruption of the idea of the Revolution by impure realities. In convicting the ministers of treason—that vaguest and most helpful of charges—France establishes for itself a new history, in which the ministers own agency is amplified in its malice and robbed of all nuance. In turn, the People maintain their purity, acting only in defence of their persons and not in defence of those institutions which were so favourable to them. This chicanery abases the Revolution and shames its participants; for the mark of a sensible settlement is that its justice extends even to its own agents. It is only by the resolution of fortune that it is the ministers on trial and not the opposition leaders, hence we cannot allow any corruption of this process in the name of the advancement of the Revolution's teleology. To this end, my learned colleague has spoken of this affair in surgical terms; of the necessity of excision such that France may begin revived and anew. This is a false promise, betrayed by its zealotry, for excision in this case would be as that of scabrous tissue: premature, ill-advised and painful. The conviction of the ministers, far from speeding France's wounds in their healing, would merely aggravate them. Conviction would expose the myth of the Revolution's righteousness or generosity, demonstrating its chief agents no better in their morality than those who bayed at the foot of the scaffold for the blood of the inept and the unconvinced.

Therefore, at this juncture we must ask ourselves: when June was so abundant in crime and blunder, is it really treason we wish to pursue? Prosecute the murderers and the vandals and the thieves, all that was and is unlawful. But let us not persecute any man as a traitor, when there but for the grace of God go we all.

Lamarque listens to the defense speak.

"Comrades, do. you hear that! We are criminals we are little more than vandals and vagabonds, akin more to the savage Vandals than to any real man. And the Ministers in their ministry. Men who caused the state to rot, men who plotted the murders of thousands of innocents, men who stole millions in taxes from the people. They are the civilized ones. They are the ones who deserve clemency, who deserve mercy. Can you believe the lies that are being spewed from that mans mouth. For Gods sakes King Phillippe should throw the Nobles on the defense in jail as well.

Let the court hear your voices my friends let the judge and the defendants know your will.

DEATH TO THE MINISTERS!

LET THE DOGS HANG! "

M. Persil
Procurer Général

... with respect to the argument advanced by my honorable colleague, I do not consider M. le duc de Conegliano's resignation after the fact to be exculpatory. A common thread runs through the defense of M. le duc and his colleagues; to whit, that their actions could not be illegal because they were only doing their duty in good conscience. We of course know this not to be the case, for such learned men are to be expected to know their duty under the national constitution to which the former occupant of the Throne swore his oath. However, even that stratagem further indicts M. le duc.

You see, by counter-signing the ordinances, M. le duc commits a great infamy, a crime against the people of France. But by resigning his ministry afterwards, he attempts to evade his responsibility for the infamy. Tacitly, through the act of resignation, he acknowledges his culpability in the crime while doing nothing to absolve himself of its stain...

... we must consider this prosecution to be an act of healing, akin to the cutting-out of a tumorous growth that has long afflicted the patient that is the Nation. How can we proceed forward with the grim specter of past misdeeds hanging over us? The crimes of these ministers are the last decayed link in the chain binding France to a tyrannical past. We must sever it, with all due haste...

... the former occupant of the Throne knew his duty to the constitution, or should have been informed of such by loyal ministers, but was instead advised by men who sought to impose a new tyranny. Eager to seize power, the former occupant and his ministers ignored the limits on the power of ordinances to restore absolutism and stifle the liberty that was established in a solemn oath before God. Those ministers who were honored as Peers were party to that ceremony, and they should have been bound by conscience and memory to oppose such actions...

M. Blanc
Prosecutor

...the charter of the Direction Royal de Sécurité de l'État, as set out in the Ordonnance du Roi sur la tranquillité publique (II) during the reign of King Louis XVIII, places that body under the responsibility of the Ministry of the Interior and places the burden of designating "legitimate targets" on the President of the Council of State. Should the records of the Direction be made available to these proceedings, we shall garner more insight into the activities of Marechal Saint Fulgent and M. le duc de Saint-Aignan...

...the records of the former Chancellor are themselves quite illuminating as to the events at Saint Cloud and paint a portrait of a man at war with his own country, a man elevated time and time again by the throne's previous occupant against the wishes and advice of legislative majorities and more than one Council of State. Such a man as to insert himself into the affairs of state one final time for what can only be described as a treasonous plot against the French Nation. A man such as this had every opportunity and motive to provide that fatal falsehood to the previous occupant, the falsehood that because they issued from the previous occupant that the Four Ordinances could not possibly be unconstitutional. This baseless argument therefore gave full license to the previous occupant to enable the ensuing events of these Ministers. If, as this case has shown, the previous occupant had ceased to reign while at Saint Cloud, can it be said that constitutional reign was ended, and the following illegal terror begun, by any other than the Duc de Sully?

Your Excellency.

The terms confirmed are as such:

I. Your Excellency shall receive a personal loan of 1 million francs

II. The Interest Rate shall be 2% per annum.

III. The de Rohan land in Montbazon shall be used as collateral in the event the loan is not paid off.

We advise a representative from the de Rohan household to come to the Descombes and Company main building in Paris to confirm the details. Once that is done, the money shall be transferred into your excellency's care.

We also advise that your excellency adopt a ten-year payment plan in order to properly pay off the debt. Such plans can be formalized by the representative and Descombes and Company during their meeting.

Louis arrived at the Descombes and Company bank in Paris to meet with a representative. He agreed to the proposed terms as provided and worked with the representative to try to devise a payment plan that would allow for Louis to pay off the loan in instalments where the amounts would mostly be covered by the income from his estates. He suggested a 15-year payment plan instead of 10, believing that it would allow him to pay off the slightly smaller instalments and still have enough funds to support his household. It left little to live on, but at least he could pay off his debts. He'd just have to cut down on any unnecessary expenses for the next decade or two. He hadn't exactly lived an extravagant lifestyle to begin with, and was suddenly glad he had married a peasant girl who found displays of wealth unnerving. Once an official agreement was reached, he was ready to sign.

((Assuming this is all okay, no point in dragging this out further. Assume Louis signed if it is still agreeable with the 15-year payment plan.))

Henri sat in his study, contemplating the envelopes before him. Two had already been opened, while the other two remained sealed. He swirled his drink around the tumbler as he considered his options. He had held onto the letters while the will was in dispute, not wishing to surrender valuable evidence. But now, well, no reason to keep them around. No knowing what the old man had said in his final thoughts, of course. He could open them, but... no.

With a sigh, he rang the bell for his Breton manservant, who appeared silently at his master's shoulder. Henri, accustomed to such quiet efficiency, gestured. "My letter to the personal archive. The guardians' letter to be copied and the copies distributed, with the original to the archive. My brother's letter to my wife's maid, to be packed in her luggage for the countryside." He lapsed into silence. The manservant coughed gently.

"The last letter, my lord?"

"Where is he now, anyway?"

"Scotland, my lord. Holyrood Palace."

"A chartered messenger, then."

"Yes, my lord."

The manservant whisked away the four letters, leaving Henri contemplating his half-drunk whisky with a melancholic air. He'd been thinking about death with increasing frequency. Never during the Three Glorious Days, strangely enough. That time had been one of destiny and exhilaration. But now, with the ministry and the miscarriage... the weight grew heavier. He had flown in June; now he plodded in October.

With a deep intake of breath he slid the tumbler away and took up his cane, heading for the stairs. No use in dwelling in melancholy alone. If Amelie was to leave for the countryside, then he would take what time he could with her. They could both use the company.

--

To Philippe, M. de Bourbon ((PRIVATE - @Sneakyflaps))

My dearest son,

You are as of yet so young, and yet I leave you with so much. I have named you my heir for your future is with the estate, with the Condé inheritance. To maintain our ancient seat and the prosperity of the estate as a whole, the community and the rebuilding of our old family seat and its art collection. Your future is secure and you will walk among the great men of France, but always remember your origin and that home of your mother. Do not grow overly proud or arrogant, do not seek to assume that anything is your right by birth, but instead the right by effort, of character.

While you may be my main heir, then do not shun your brother, for while he has many faults, he loves you and I know you love him in kind. Do not let that love falter, for one day you may need him, he will soar highly and I want you to be there to support him when he proves himself. If you ever need aid or guidance, go to Henri and heed his words, for he is your elder, he will be the head of the house even if you are my main heir. Do not become estranged with him as I have become, he will be there for you, and you will need to be there for him. His future is a different one than yours, you have been raised as my son, as the future Condé and I have no fear that you shall not fail me, you will have our house reach new glory. But your brother shares an equally prosperous future, together the two of you can reach further than either of you can do alone.

You will enjoy the greatest luxuries of France, every kind that there is, everything that you could ever want. But do never become consumed by pleasure and idleness, do not let your future be darkened by lazy behavior and unfitting actions. The titles of which I own shall cease to exist upon my death, but the grace, purpose and behavior of a true Prince shall never fade, a true Prince which you have been raised to be.

God will call onto you to carry out the perhaps most daunting task of all, to be the friend of a king, of Henry V when he is to take the throne. He will need a helpful hand, a friend when he is in doubt, when the burden of the Crown is far too great upon his shoulders. Be there for him, aid him in his duties and preserve his health. Always give the King true council, for a true critique is worth far more than a false friend, it is in you that I trust to ensure to guide the king, to be his friend so he may ensure that the house of Bourbon remains on the throne of France for a thousand years to come. And know that if God calls onto you that you must not be found wanting.

Always remember who you are, that you are a scion of the House of Bourbon and that you must serve our house within your capacity as my heir and know that all which I grant you is rightfully yours, and do not let anyone get in between what is yours. I hope that you will find the greatest happiness known to man, that you will find the truest friends and that love will be shown to you. Be one with your brother, for together you shall become far greater as a person than if you were alone, you shall grow as a person.

Do not be unkind to those around you, if they be poor or rich, do not disregard men because they are sick, old or crippled, especially not anyone who has served his Majesty. Do not be uncharitable in your acts, but do not show such charity that it becomes hubris, and when you give charity do not do it for the sake of renown or fame, do it because it puts your spirit to rest, because it eases your heart and the soul becomes happy. No true charity is ever done if the aim is to be rewarded, and never be greedy towards others, their worth, estates and position.

Your ever loving father

--

To the Count of Ponthieu ((PRIVATE -- @99KingHigh))

Your Majesty,

Charles, I hope that in here in my final letter you will forgive the utter informality in which I write it. This last letter which is now delivered to you shall be my final words to you, my hopes and will along with my final counseling to your most noble person.

We have known each other all of our lives, and we have been close for while we are cousins we have often been as close as brothers. I have always spoken truly and with honesty to you and your brothers for the preservation of France, and I hope that once I have passed away, you will have others who will speak to you with such truth. And it is this love that I have held for you that makes me all the more depressed that what I am doing is against your wish and will, and without your approval.

As you by now know, I have not given my inheritance to you or your sons, and least of all Orléans for that matter. But I have given my inheritance to my youngest son, Philippe, a boy with a sweet heart who I know that you would love if you only gave him the chance. I hope, Charles, that my decision in regards to my estates are not too displeasing for you, and that you will accept my decision for I have thought long about the matter, and in the end my conscience always told me the same conclusion. They are my children, and my inheritance belongs to them.

Charles, while I do not give you my estates, my wealth, earthly possessions and all which belong to my ancestors and to our house as you believe I should. I however give the greatest inheritance of them all, greater than any richest or estate. I give the love not only of myself but that of my children to you and your son and grandson. That is the greatest inheritance that I can give any sovereign, for you have wealth and estates aplenty, the inheritance of my children however gives you friends, loyal cousins and true advise and loyalty.

Henri Jules while he has always been rebellious and English of mind, has also always been loyal to our family, and he will continue to be so. Even if he does not enjoy your favour or the favour of most of our family, then he won’t act against the family.

The far greater inheritance which I leave you will be in the person of Philippe. He is young, but he loves you, Charles, admires you and he loves Henri, your grandson, and Henri will need friends. You of all people must know how lonely the head on which the crown rests can be. Philippe can be Henri’s true friend, Orléans may be a legitimate child, but they will never wash away their liberal tendencies, leaders of oppositions. Let Philippe be a true friend to your grandson; don’t act against Philippe’s inheritance for it belongs to him. I know that you have sent Henri Jules an offer, an offer to give up his inheritance and if he accepts it I shall not blame you for he is of age and knows what he is doing. But I ask that you do not try and tempt Philippe with a similar offer, for he is young and wishes for acceptance. Let Philippe inherit what is his, let him be happy. He is a son of France, a son which now lacks his natural father, a son of France who is now a son of your Majesty, just as your Majesty is his father in light of your position.

When you read this, Charles, not only will all of France be looking towards you and my children, but all of Europe and the heavens above will look upon you as well. This will be the official end of the Princes of Condé, a name which every court in Europe knows. I know that you may not agree with my actions, but I ask you not to interfere against the inheritance I leave to my children. Both you and Orléans I ask to remember Proverbs 20:21: “An inheritance gained hurriedly at the beginning Will not be blessed in the end.” Do not seek the wealth or estates that I leave to my sons, I beg you not to try and seize or take the inheritance for your own. Instead let the inheritance that I leave to you, my children and especially my younger son, mature and become a man like those before us and let him serve France both as the heir to my lands, wealth and estates, but as a true, loyal and loving servant to your Majesty and your heirs to follow.

Your most loving cousin and friend,
Louis

Last edited:
Vicomte de Martignac

FJtJomO.jpg

...nothing could be more painful or more distasteful in the accusation against M. le duc de Saint-Aignan, than the statement attributed to him in the testimony of the last witness. M. le duc de Saint-Aignan groaned under the weight of the most serious accusation.

Each of the witnesses, pressed by his conscience, deposits facts of which he has no personal knowledge.

Happiness, or the truth which is a great happiness, has willed that no witness so far be the deposition of a fact which has come to his personal knowledge, which was connected with the immediate direct participation of M. le duc de Saint-Aignan in the misfortunes. And, for the first time, he is accused of one of these words, uttered without any necessity, and fatality does not allow him to clarify this fact. The witness is too honest a man, Too loyal to say that he himself has heard this; he has it from another, and my hope is that this person should be in a foreign country. I recommend this observation has to the consciousness of the man...

...we know that M. Armentiéres has made some great accusations, but what is the merit of one monarchy to accuse another, founded on an independent base, judging the past, and pleading for mercy; shedding the blood of the past will open a laceration that generations will not heal...

...illegality in his actions are not asserted; any attempt to prosecute a person would not have been contradictory to the laws governing the previous monarchy, assuming that the ordinances were legal, of which I believe they were, if highly inappropriate...

M. Persil
Procurer Général

... with respect to the argument advanced by my honorable colleague, I do not consider M. le duc de Conegliano's resignation after the fact to be exculpatory. A common thread runs through the defense of M. le duc and his colleagues; to whit, that their actions could not be illegal because they were only doing their duty in good conscience. We of course know this not to be the case, for such learned men are to be expected to know their duty under the national constitution to which the former occupant of the Throne swore his oath. However, even that stratagem further indicts M. le duc.

You see, by counter-signing the ordinances, M. le duc commits a great infamy, a crime against the people of France. But by resigning his ministry afterwards, he attempts to evade his responsibility for the infamy. Tacitly, through the act of resignation, he acknowledges his culpability in the crime while doing nothing to absolve himself of its stain...

... we must consider this prosecution to be an act of healing, akin to the cutting-out of a tumorous growth that has long afflicted the patient that is the Nation. How can we proceed forward with the grim specter of past misdeeds hanging over us? The crimes of these ministers are the last decayed link in the chain binding France to a tyrannical past. We must sever it, with all due haste...

... the former occupant of the Throne knew his duty to the constitution, or should have been informed of such by loyal ministers, but was instead advised by men who sought to impose a new tyranny. Eager to seize power, the former occupant and his ministers ignored the limits on the power of ordinances to restore absolutism and stifle the liberty that was established in a solemn oath before God. Those ministers who were honored as Peers were party to that ceremony, and they should have been bound by conscience and memory to oppose such actions...

QAc8JC.jpeg

For the defence
in the trial of Marshal Moncey

It is fundamental to a case of such gravity as this, keen in its interest not only to the consumers of today's current affairs, but pertinent also to the formation of a settlement in the future, that proper boundaries be established as to the purview of the examination. Namely—and I will be brief—the court must decide whether it wishes to deal in questions of morality, or otherwise in questions of law; for the two are not always one and the same.

It is the opinion of the defence counsel that the legal case in this instance is quite simple, and here I must speak coldly and without personal prejudice, for my own opinions on the matter as a private citizen are known to many and do not accord in their entirety with what I am about to say; namely, that King Charles acted legally in issuing the ordinances of Saint-Cloud, as according to the Charter of 1814, which reserved for the king all executive power—whether this be the case de facto or not.

Therefore, what is the treason? The Marshal countersigned Charles's ordinances knowing them to be lawful. We may find this act distasteful, or unprincipled—but the courts are not the guardians of taste and principle. They must apply the law, as it was, and do so blindly, without prejudice, for this is the realm of the moral.

The moral considerations of this case are, of course, numerous. What is the significance, for example, of the Marshal's resignation? How are we to reconcile the damage done by the ordinances with their status in law? Who is to bear the responsibility for this discord? The first consideration is, I believe, a simple matter: having assented to the King's plan under certain assumptions, relating chiefly to the perceived degree of support for the King amongst the people, the Marshal came to see the scale of his misjudgement and made known his protest.

The second consideration in more troublesome, for we feel we must be entitled to legal recourse upon the breakdown of one social contract. I ask the learned gentlemen, from where does this entitlement come? We have had our redress in the form of a new and nobler charter, which has done much to correct certain abuses present in the old system. If, as the party of the current king are so keen to suggest, this represents nothing more drastic than the changing of the head of state, how do we prosper from cultivating discord where none exists?; from drawing a line of divide between the old and the new?; from establishing a new, more just France? Let us not forget the mythos of the actions of June, which we will not call treason as long as it prospers, but instead hail as a judicious exercise of the right
of the citizenry to good government. Let us forget neither that the Revolution Prosper's only so long as it does not become destabilised and fall into the realm of tyrannical excess. The recent history of France is burdened with just this state of excess, and we would do well to ensure we do not carry this burden in vain. Therefore, we can do naught but lament that the old system was so imperfect as to allow Charles's actions—save to ensure that as we craft a new system if suffers from no such weaknesses.

The third consideration is pressing in examining the nature of the charges brought against the ministers. I alluded earlier to that old aphorism, that as long as treason prospers none dare call it treason. The victors of June profit from this arrangement in that it all but secures their absolution from all blame for the evil that occurred during the Revolution. The actions of the citizenry were righteous, and therefore exist in the collective mémoire with impunity. All the fault must belong to those whose actions provoked the struggle, and thus in this detail we find the basis of a need to assess wrongdoing. Yet this logic denies the revolutionaries of their agency, elsewhere so vital in their actions. I remind the court that I, too, was provoked to action by the ordinances, albeit of a reasonably pacific nature. I do not seek to abdicate this responsibility. Too often, we have seen it such that, insofar as the assumption of responsibility furthers the myth of the glory of the Revolution, it is accepted, only to be rejected when it becomes troublesome. Yet if we are to be fair in our settlement, blame must be apportioned as it is merited, thus those who led the charges against the People must be held to account on equal footing to those leading the charges in the opposite direction.

I make this point because I fear that this trial is part of an effort to abdicate some of this blame, and as such to prevent the corruption of the idea of the Revolution by impure realities. In convicting the ministers of treason—that vaguest and most helpful of charges—France establishes for itself a new history, in which the ministers own agency is amplified in its malice and robbed of all nuance. In turn, the People maintain their purity, acting only in defence of their persons and not in defence of those institutions which were so favourable to them. This chicanery abases the Revolution and shames its participants; for the mark of a sensible settlement is that its justice extends even to its own agents. It is only by the resolution of fortune that it is the ministers on trial and not the opposition leaders, hence we cannot allow any corruption of this process in the name of the advancement of the Revolution's teleology. To this end, my learned colleague has spoken of this affair in surgical terms; of the necessity of excision such that France may begin revived and anew. This is a false promise, betrayed by its zealotry, for excision in this case would be as that of scabrous tissue: premature, ill-advised and painful. The conviction of the ministers, far from speeding France's wounds in their healing, would merely aggravate them. Conviction would expose the myth of the Revolution's righteousness or generosity, demonstrating its chief agents no better in their morality than those who bayed at the foot of the scaffold for the blood of the inept and the unconvinced.

Therefore, at this juncture we must ask ourselves: when June was so abundant in crime and blunder, is it really treason we wish to pursue? Prosecute the murderers and the vandals and the thieves, all that was and is unlawful. But let us not persecute any man as a traitor, when there but for the grace of God go we all.

M. Blanc
Prosecutor

...the charter of the Direction Royal de Sécurité de l'État, as set out in the Ordonnance du Roi sur la tranquillité publique (II) during the reign of King Louis XVIII, places that body under the responsibility of the Ministry of the Interior and places the burden of designating "legitimate targets" on the President of the Council of State. Should the records of the Direction be made available to these proceedings, we shall garner more insight into the activities of Marechal Saint Fulgent and M. le duc de Saint-Aignan...

...the records of the former Chancellor are themselves quite illuminating as to the events at Saint Cloud and paint a portrait of a man at war with his own country, a man elevated time and time again by the throne's previous occupant against the wishes and advice of legislative majorities and more than one Council of State. Such a man as to insert himself into the affairs of state one final time for what can only be described as a treasonous plot against the French Nation. A man such as this had every opportunity and motive to provide that fatal falsehood to the previous occupant, the falsehood that because they issued from the previous occupant that the Four Ordinances could not possibly be unconstitutional. This baseless argument therefore gave full license to the previous occupant to enable the ensuing events of these Ministers. If, as this case has shown, the previous occupant had ceased to reign while at Saint Cloud, can it be said that constitutional reign was ended, and the following illegal terror begun, by any other than the Duc de Sully?

The TRIAL of the MINISTERS of CHARLES X

toI6dbZ.jpg

Scenes from the Trial

The trial opened on 15 December, 1830. After three days spent in examination of the evidence, Persil, former liberal lawyer, and deputy, opened the case for the prosecution.In his demands for a severe penalty, and attacks on the Bourbons, he finely placed himself in complement to public opinion. Language of inflammation, such as "crimes against the people of France," and "chain binding France to the past" put himself in a rather famous position among the crowds gathering outside the Palais du Luxembourg and among the sympathetic Peers.

He was met with similar genius from the victomte de Martignac, who argued that the ministers had acted in good faith; that it was not for a monarchy founded on a different base to judge the past, and pleading for mercy, warned that to shed blood would open an abyss which might never be closed. Persil, concerned that the Peers might find the most sympathy with Moncey, gave his own vigorous accusatorial stance against the old Marshal.

Merveé, defending Moncey, set the precedent for the legitimist argument, defending the legality of the ordinances in the law of the Bourbon Restoration. He then proceeded, with no lack of brilliance, with vague, and accusatory tones, asking the Chamber why the equal charge was not presented against the other participants in the Revolution, predominantly those who had so enthusiastically partaken in murder, violence, vandalism, etc. Treason, his estimation, was certainly the wrong charge in a month when blatant treachery was on full display by a great number of persons.

Outside, the crowds seemed aware of the peers' inclination towards mercy, much as they were influenced by Merveé's defense. On 20 December, encouraged by the violent remonstrations of Lamarque, the mob pressed against the National Guard, which struggled to hold them back against cries of "Death to the ministers!" The last lawyer for the defense fainted in his defense, and it was revealed he had donned the uniform of the National Guard for his own life. The shouting could be heard inside the Palais du Luxembourg, and the session was closed for fear it might be ended violently.

The ex-ministers escorted back to their prison could hear the murderous cries, while the mob pelted the carriages with thrones and coaches. That night, while preparations were made for the completion of the trial the next day, Gérard decided to put the reliable regulars on the grounds of the Palais du Luxembourg, despite the protestations of La Fayette, who saw it as an insult to the National Guard. The appointment of Armentières to the Interior had, just by simple obligations of ministerial duty, weakened his connection to the Guard.

Everywhere there was anticipation of violence; the Prefect of the Seine even appealed for acquiesce in the verdict, whilst suggesting a vague sympathy with popular demands.

Thus on the 21st, when M. Blanc, came before the Chamber of Peers, and invoked the "illegal terror" of the deposed ministers, the defendants were hustled from the Chamber as the crowds grew larger and larger. An immediate transfer to a waiting carriage rendered impossible by the vindicative La Fayette, who placed anti-legitimist suburban Guardsmen to occupy a strategic position, M. le Garde des sceaux was forced to return the Ministers to their prison. Unable to find loyal guardsmen to the cause, he was compelled to imply that the Ministers were being removed to their deaths.

He sent the intended carriages to another exit as a faint and brought his own liveried coach to a nearby gateway. Then having forced the concierge to free the prisoners, he led them past the silent guards to his couch; he himself road in the small mounted escort which took it slowly through the crowded narrow streets of the Latin quarter, and then into the deserted suburbs whose turbulent inhabitants were at the Palais du Luxembourg.

Meanwhile, after consideration of the evidence, a verdict was reached; 136 peers found the Ministers guilty and 20 innocent. In this regard, Blanc and Persil had won. The Peers, however, sympathetic to the entreaties of the defense, voted almost unanimously for life imprisonment and mort civil. When at 6 PM the canon at Vincenness announced the safe arrival of the Ministers, the rumour ran that this signified the death penalty. But when the truth finally reached the crowds, the privacy of the Peers having been repealed, there was instant anger. And so began the defection.

The National Guard, enticed by Lamarque and incensed by the public defenders, threw down their rifles in disgust; La Fayette could only dismiss them. In the dark streets, the mobs vented their fury by breaking windows and lamps. On the next day, Paris was seething with rumors of conspiracy and coup d'etat, but the National Guard, although displeased by the verdict, appeared in response to the summons. The government, still distrustful, and not without cause, put the army in the most vulnerable spots. Although there was some shouting and stone-throwing, the danger was over.

The trial had evidenced the weak foundation of the regime; it was reluctant to make radical concession to public opinion, but was not yet prepared to adapt to the firmness of the law, beyond the most blatant violations. If the trial had made the people somewhat indignant, the supposed cowardice of the National Guard outraged the conservatives in the Chamber, who began to look at the Mouvement Ministry as proceeding from crisis to crisis, irresolute, and lacking leadership...
--
@Jackbollda, your move.

Amendment to the Law on Elections: No

[Liberal Ideologue +1 PP]
[Independent Orleanist]

Amendment to the Law on Elections: No

[Figurehead, Prime Minister: +1.25+3? PP]
[Orléanist]

Last edited:
Joachim had finished his first semester. School was nice, but so was being just home. Joachim had over the semester began to regard Palais-Royal as.. home. His mother had been occupied organising the Foundation and gain patrons and she was visiting the salons once more. This led to Joachim being less under the influence of his mother and more under his guardian. This also had the effect of the young boy starting to his caretaker and her nephews and nieces as some sort of second family.

During the trial of the former Ministers the young duke wanted to attend to the growing crowd outside of the Palais du Luxembourg. At first he wanted to be among the people (among them many of his fellow students) but Adélaïde refused so. He had to be among the National Guards.

Joachim looked at the crowd with curiosity. He was a child who had for the most of his life been isolated from the common people. It was a culture shock to him. All the crying for death and so on. As naiive as he was he asked one of his guards "why can't we all be friends?" The guard simply shook his head and laughed. Still it was a shocking revalelation for Joachim.

What shocked him even more was that several National Guardsmen dropped their weapons. Weren't soldiers supposed to be loyal and inpartial? And were not King Louis a true Citizen King? Why would they so openly defy him and the Peers then? The whole event gave the young Joachim much to think of. When he returned to Palaise Royal he was still perplexed by what he had seen that day. He didn't spend the day playing with friends or train on the horseback or fencing (which he loved) instead he went to his guardian and got out what he was trying to process. He asked a tons of questions, and in return he listened to his guardian giving him several lessons.

The Palais-Royal.

325px-Louis-Philippe%2C_roi_des_Fran%C3%A7ais.jpg

" ...this is still a Monarchy," exclaimed the King to his sister. "What am I do? To sit idle and watch those two old generals bark out orders to the National Guard? I am to to sloth around while they stir up the mob? They speak of ideology! Ideology is a luxury for the rich; those who do not worry where they have to sleep the next night or what to put on the table for their families to eat. If they believe their bellies would have food by turning on us, they shall turn on us. You really think the people have an inherent love for Republican virtue, Bonapartist discipline, affections for the Bourbons, or even respect for our family? They will lean towards siding with that which can provide for them. The belly will surely override any logic or sentiment.

"I understand your concerns that Deputies of a more conservative bent are proving uncooperative but you would have me use the National Guard to bend them to compliance? They surely will soon realize they've become a Praetorian Guard and then turn on us. I want no more politicking or palace intrigues from you, my dear sister, until this situation takes a turn for the better. Our connections will not overcome Merveé and his ilk. Nor will calling on La Fayette do more than give the old man undue influence over the government. I am off to see Dauphin, there are certain members of the Dauphin's Own Hussars are due to be awarded the June Cross."

---

At the Dauphin's Headquarters.

Several members of the then Chartres Hussars were due to receive the June Cross for their efforts at escorting the then duc of Orleans into Paris. Before the ceremony the Dauphin communicated that he was particularly annoyed with the efforts of the Ministry to eliminate his right to sit in the Peers. Calming his hot headed son down he explained that the Dauphin's authority would not depending on sitting in the legislature but on his relationship with the Army; a relationship he would very much encourage his son to cultivate.

After handing out the medals the King gave a short address the soldiers and the crowd of locals gathered to see their new ruler before he headed back to the Palais-Royal, "Fellow Frenchmen, I also make known today that for the families of those who have given up their lives in defense of the Charter, and to all those injured in the events of the Three Glorious Days, I shall contribute out of my private assets the sum of ₣7 million to indemnify them; a sum calculated by the Parisian authorities. [1] These families shall be given monthly pensions and those injured shall be given a lump sum in compensation.

"I beg the people's patience during these trying times and I pledge to do my utmost to bring our nation together."

Regardless of his sister's protests that "pawns are by their purpose, expendable" these poor souls had suffered--voluntarily or involuntary--to make him King. It did not matter that the gesture could cost him the sympathies of the Conservatives or that the Ministry was preparing to set aside monies. To assuage his guilt Louis-Philippe was compelled to donate these sums, "to buy his soul for God."

It was not as if the King was short on money even if he were to set aside the Civil List. His father once had a fortune reckoned to be worth 122m livres, worth over ₣200 million in today's money and Louis-Philippe had worked hard to rebuild that wealth. What wealth had disappeared in the Revolution reappeared as Louis XVIII, in a spirit of reconciliation, leveraged the Treasury to clear debts and add to his the family's wealth. In his past decade and a half resident in France he had accumulated nearly the same amount of wealth in bullion and real estate that his father once possessed through a combination of royal favor, opportunities falling into his lap, and aggressive investments; some of these investments made overseas under presumed names. The Ultra-driven indemnification laws only furthered the family's wealth. As of 1830, the now King Phillipe VII--after various expenses were deducted such as money banked for his children's future and upkeep paid for his estates--had an average net revenue of approximately ₣5 million; indeed, the gross revenues from his ducal forests alone were ₣7.49 million annually, with this one line item far beyond the total income of an average noble. [2]

These were enormous sums and ones that would have to be used wisely in the future.

---

1. The historical amount of indemnity given by the OTL July Monarchy.
2. Information for this paragraph taken from "The Public And Private Life Of Louis Philippe" by Michaud. Earnings calculated by subtracting approximately the Conde wealth that the King does not have access to TTL.

zpage020.gif

Public Announcement from the Lécuyer Foundation.

In light of the most gracious act of His Majesty, a true testimony of his charitable nature and natural role as the Citizen King, the Lécuyer Foundation will change its mission.

We are grateful for King Phillipe VII. contribution to his people, and so are his people. We will move from compensation of the martyrs and heroes of the Three Glorious Days to charity. To help the poor and help fund schools and sick-homes.

The Business Plan is to invest the donated money in the Bourse, French enterprises, banks and industries. This will help improve the French economy and increase employment. The profits and surplus from these investments will go to charity.

Signed December 21st 1830, Paris.
Duc Joachim-Philippe Lothaire de Lécuyer.
Christine de Lécuyer.

Last edited:
(( Une lettre privée à S. M. le Roi Philippe VII – @Cloud Strife ))

Votre majesté,

It is my sincerest hope that you might pardon the unorthodoxy of this communication, Sire, that I might be allowed to offer certain assurances, in light of my present reputation amongst circles of those men known as légitimistes. I do so out of no presumption that my convictions may be excused, nor out of any desire to recant any such convictions that are held faithfully, but that I might discourage the germination of any rumours that my work is in its design contrary to the good of France, and by extension the good of its Crown. For whilst His Majesty and I might disagree on certain philosophical points, I trust there exists common ground elsewhere. And as the person of the king changes, the Crown remains constant; the exact nature of its role may change, but its essence is as it always must be: the guarantor of the well-being of French society.

Having been no associate of your party when its chief concern was friendship not with the King of France, but the Duke of Orléans, I can lay no claim to an intimate understanding of your own political convictions. I write, however—presumptuously perhaps—in the hope that I address a monarch who is moderate in his prejudices, having previously been so aware of the weaknesses of his unfortunate cousin such that he rightly opposed them, and as such holds no love of that unhealthy support for the ambitions of one class of men over another, which is so ruinous to good society. Put otherwise, I speak of the difference between Revolution and government; for whilst abstraction may be useful to the former, it is fatal to the latter. Government is nothing if not the management of a situation as it exists, not as we believe it should be, and extends to interests of all citizens. For the deprivation of justice to even one man is the failure of the contract that holds a nation together.

To this end, I embarked upon my defence of Moncey, divorcing his person and his actions from all association with those prejudices that occlude our vision of the Artois regime. As a man of the law, this is the position I must take: not to judge what should be right in accordance with some abstract principle, but to judge what is right in accordance with the law, for tastefulness and legality are not one and the same. In this way, it was in my interests that Moncey and his colleagues not be given as sacrifice in submission to the mob, who equate blood with liberty insofar as it flatters their devotion to a tyrannical perversion of liberty. Such would be the triumph of passion over reason, a triumph that has no place in the courts, and so would in its nature be a statement that the settlement is reserved for the victors only. If in my defence I was opposed to anything, it was this idea: that France should again descend in its zeal to a state of bloody excess, stoking the terror such that it might sustain an ever purer, ever more elusive image of liberty.

I make this point so that I might articulate a central aspect of my guiding philosophy in these times: that I shall act always with thought for the law. But the law is impotent if if cannot be applied meaningfully to the present circumstance. It is the former consideration, for example, that leads me to the conclusion that the French succession rests with the absent Count of Chambord—just as it is the latter consideration that leads me to recognise that you, Sire, are the King of France.

I have spoken already of the necessity for government in the realm and not the abstract. As such, I wish for it to be known that my public service does not flatter fabulations of intrigue against your position. For he who schemes in such a way relegates all other concerns to occupy second place, and furthermore advances the ambitions of his own class of men at the expense of all others. Therefore, as I act to serve always so that I might better France, I do so with all requisite loyalty to your person. This declaration I do not view to be in contradiction to my desire to see the legal matter of the succession resolved amicably, nor do I hold it in contradiction with my desire to see the Revolutionary settlement extend to include all of France. To this end, I humbly ask that you, Sire, do not consider me an obstacle, for if I ever work in opposition to your ministers, it will be out of no desire for the gratification of my own ambition, nor any philosophical quarrel more sinister than a belief in the prosperity of all of France. The opposite of a friend is not an enemy, but a man who has reserved his judgement.

Je reste votre humble serviteur,

Esmé Merivée

M. Barante in the Deputies

0gKYO95.png

M. le Président,

I rise now, in the afterglow of disturbances, addressing a Chamber that purports itself as the bulwark of the law, as the principal source of statutory authority, as the fountain of liberty, and the provenance of order. In the past, perhaps, the sobriquets just related informed the truth; against the despotism of the former ordinances, against the reactionary whims of the ultra-royalists, against the excesses of the Jesuits and the Church, and against all infringements on liberty, the Chamber was as distinguished as a Herculean sentinel. It knew resistance in the spoken word and the written print, and no sanction was offered to violence. Individuals, such as you, M. le Président, united by circumstance, gave inspirational defense to a tyrannical slip. As a whole, Messieurs, distinction and esteem were not undeserved honours for the Chamber.

But having come into the possession of governance, and charged with the duties of foremost importance, that is, the defense of property, the preservation of good order, the cautious adoption of reform, and an uncompromising disdain of contraventions to the national law, the ministerial deputies have proven themselves deficient of conviction and force of will. They believed that their reforms, permissible as they were, would sedate the fickle mass, like a peasant bribed for his vote. M. le Ministre des Finances, bubbling with haughty self-righteousness, scolded my protestations; he said that the proposed reforms would silence the Deputies, and tranquilize the national mood. Well, M. le Président, I think it is quite clear that Monsieur le Minister was quite mistaken in his presumptions…

In my humble opinion, Messieurs, the sentiments of the Ministry are grossly unsuited for governance; they hope first that their revolutionary attachments, earned during the June days, will imbue popularity; realizing this is erroneous, and that insurrectionists are volatile in their loyalty, they move to appeasement; in appeasement they conjecture that certain reforms, well-timed and sufficiently considered, will soothe their agitation, but realizing that revolutionary sentiments are inspired by insatiable rage, and not reason, they shift to dependence; they wish the instruments of revolutionary birth, the National Guard, will reciprocate their patronage, and defend them from the public beast, born from rage and rebellion; realizing that revolutionary instruments are inseparable from revolutionary sentiments, and that homage is not a comprehensible concept to these institutions, they slip into complacency; what would go wrong, they surmise, from simply deferring these matters of defection and insurrection to the participants? Surely we cannot oppose these brigands, they suggest, for it is them whom our present power owes homage!

It is no wonder that there is an inadequacy in ministerial riposte to the insurrectionists—the ministers are mere scions of their rage. Everywhere this is indicated. His Majesty, in what I believe are ill-advised delegations, and pray is the consequence of poor judgement from the ministers, continues to lavish honors and titles on revolutionaries. We have just heard that another insignificant, M. Descombes, who has done nothing for France, aside from act as demagogue during the revolution, and pamperer of rabble furor, has been awarded with a barony. How long until the Ministers give dukedoms to the gentlemen who put them on the scaffold? How long until proper advice is served to His Majesty? How long until authority is restored in France? Why do we award the destroyers of the system of law, with positions of cabinet, with titles of nobility, with offers of pension? Messieurs, the signs of seventeen ninety-two are everywhere. Only a fool would ignore it.

Action must be endorsed; against the insurrection, against the excesses of the Guard, and against the complacency of state. A new course, Messieurs, will be the only course suited for salvaging the monarchy from the republican gutter.

Armentiéres, exasperated, rises to speak.

"I thank my honorable colleague, M. Barante, for his words. I have had the distinct pleasure to work with M. Barante in the last few months, and while intemperate and full of demands in public, I have nevertheless found him quite accommodating in private. As such, I welcome his contributions to our debate.

Though the present disorder is indeed troubling, I am more concerned by the panic evident in this Chamber, which I feel is perhaps somewhat misplaced. Many of my colleagues seem quite unmanned by the rapidity of events, and I must note that lack of fortitude can itself be contagious. I would sorely mislike if such panic spread beyond personal concerns, for that is the true source of danger in these fragile days.

In truth, it was to be expected that the trial of the ministers, to whom the public ascribe the necessity of their suffering, would be a source of disorder if a verdict lacking in the desired sanguinary quality were to be handed down. Having received such a bloodless verdict, the public naturally recoiled, for was it not their blood shed at the barricades and in the streets? Did not the ministers subvert the constitutional order and reinstate absolutism? Were there crimes not manifest? Had the resistant members of this Chamber suffered as we did, had they lost as we did, perhaps they too would express their displeasure at such an outcome. Instead, they have the privilege to politely deplore and to calmly remonstrate, a privilege earned for them by the sacrifices of the people.

That the National Guard expressed its displeasure in the mildest of fashions is not surprising, for the National Guard is an emanation of the popular will. That they resumed their duties following this expression is equally unsurprising, for the National Guard knows its duty to the Nation. The National Guard, far from being a revolutionary body, seeks only the rights and privileges due to all good Frenchmen and the establishment of justice where once there was injustice. To refer to patriots and heroes as 'brigands' indicates that, perhaps, one would have preferred the previous order to the present.

If it is the belief of His Majesty and this Chamber that the present ministry has not provided the proper reply to the ongoing disorders, which pale in comparison to the White Terror of the Restoration or the rivers of blood of the Revolution, then that is their prerogative. I will however refer all present to the example of the previous occupant of the Throne, who rejected accommodation, ignored popular sentiment, and chose the path of absolute order as espoused by our previous speaker. I believe he now resides in Scotland."

M. Merivée in the Deputies
December 1830

M. le Président,

As our learned previous speaker, M. le Ministre, has broached the topic of the trial of the ministers, perhaps the Chamber would welcome a brief intervention on behalf of the case for the defence? Unfashionable though it may be, if France is to maintain the idea that it remains a nation untroubled by the excesses of revolution, it must maintain its full respect for its laws. Chief in this respect for the law must be that it is accorded equally and without prejudice. Alas, in its recent action the ministry has demonstrated itself contemptuous of this idea.

I spoke at length during the trial itself and will not do so again here, and as such I would humbly advise any interested amongst my honourable colleagues to appraise themselves of the records of my pleading should they be so minded. I will remind the Chamber, however, of the necessity that the courts not be used as theatres for the judgement of morality and good taste. Pursuant to the laws of the Bourbon monarchy, under which the ministers were acting, the ordinances of Saint-Cloud were, in their form and content, lawful. I deplore that this could ever have been possible in the highest degree; but I do not make of this dissatisfaction grounds for the subversion of justice.

Naturally, this very fact represents a troublesome obstacle for the ministry, whose constituents cry out in vengeance for the blood of those who have wrong them. The law could provide no satisfaction in this regard, and so it was done away with. Vague charges of treason were drawn up, and so blood may be had. And all on grounds no more stable than that the prosecution felt itself aggrieved, and saw itself cheered on by a bloodthirsty mob, it sought to leapt at the chance to strengthen its own righteousness by abdicating all complicity in events onto the shoulders of the defeated.

M. le Président, I fought against the same excesses as opposed by every other man in this Chamber. I regret that in the eyes of some of these men, this was not enough. My protest remained unqualified by blood, therefore I must silence my protests now, for having known no struggle I have not earned the right to voice them. I believe that a revolution may prosper only when it is settled in the favour of the whole nation, and not merely in the favour of the victors—yet this appears at odds with the view taken by some present, who hold that political participation is a privilege earned through sacrifice. Such philosophies see revolutions fail. In such circumstances, the people suffer as one class of men, forged at the barricades, are hoisted by their righteousness to high office, from which position they might enrich themselves. We cannot allow the imposition of such a false settlement, which is why we must remain cynical of any and all attempts to glorify the Revolution so that its sanctity may place the resulting government beyond blame.

The ministry claims to act in accordance with popular sentiment. It would do well to ensure that it does not listen only to the loudest voices.