• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To the MARQUISE OF ARMENTIERES from THE DUCHESS OF SAINT-AIGNAN ((@Eid3r - Private))

Mon cher Amelie,

I am extremely glad to hear from you and also happy that you are now enjoying the pleasantries of the chateaux instead of the sufficating atmosphere of Paris. I feel that, should our husbands and all other these who participate in the affairs of state have spent more time with the Nature, the atmosphere in the Chambers and the Council of State would not have been that nervous.

Me and my husband would gladly visit your manor, if you and Henri would return us the visit. Oh, my dear, if you would have only seen our new cherry and pear orchard! I do often spend whole evenings there, reading a book and listenting to the leaves rustle. We are also goint to erect a pavilion there, so, hopefully, next summer, should you choose to come, we will be able to dine there quite pleasantly.

How are your children? Are they enjoying their state in the chateaux? My Hippolyte loves the estate much more than Paris - but, I am afraid, due to the lack of oversight coming from his father and tutor, he is becoming quite boisterious. Our assistant gardener, Rene, has taught him upstream fishing - and now he fishes each morning. Claude would have found such pursuit quite ungentlemanly (as you know, he himself is an avid hunter) - but I believe that , when you spend time in the country, you have the right to some indulgence.

When have you heard last from your dear Henri? I must say that I am slightly worried about Claude each time I leave him in Paris. He tends to overwork, spends whole evenings in his cabinet, reading the documents. He often forgets to eat properly, only smokes cigars - and I am not sure that such attitude towards your digestion is very healthy,

I would be once again to hear from you, dear friend, even if I cannot now speak to you in person.

I remain yours truly,
Anne de Beauvilliers

Last edited:
Paris
Halle aux Vins

Armentiéres sat in what used to be a bustling wine market before it had been taken over and barricaded; now it was in every way a military camp. Men in National Guard uniforms streamed around him as he sat at a table beneath what used to be a burgundy seller's canopy. He regarded the map of Paris, subjected to makeshift tokens and grease-pencil marks until it looked like a proper battlefield.

"Send a messenger across the Pont du Jardin and up the Rue la Contracarpe. I want him to coordinate with Sauvigny for a push on the Ile de St. Louis in an hour; Bertier's squad will hit them from our side of the river. Once we've got them pushed out of the streets there, we can put pressure on the Ile du Palais from the east."

"Why?"

Henri had briefly resented being asked to justify his every idea at first, but he quickly grew accustomed to the basic facts of life. This was a revolution, not a war, and every man was a volunteer. Explaining himself was an easy enough concession to egalité. He scratched the bandage on his forehead before giving the young lieutenant a brief rundown.

"Because once we have the eastern half of the Ile du Palais we can put more pressure on the Hotel de Ville. Maybe even cut it off from reinforcements. Maybe trap the royalists on the Quai de Greve. If they surrender, easier for us."

The lieutenant nodded, sketched a vague approximation of a salute, and took off.

Henri sighed and looked wistfully over at the carefully guarded wine stockpiles, which were being kept under lock and key to prevent the entire Guard from going into the fight raging drunk. His aide stepped up to his side.

"The Deputies are meeting in an hour, sir."

Armentiéres smiled, then glanced down at his scuffed and torn uniform; with its dirty colors and rakishly cocked hat, he looked more like a pirate than a Deputy.

"I think they'll get along fine without a fugitive from the King's justice. How's that other thing going?"

"Well, I've sent men to all the bakeries and butchers' that we can reach, but I'm not really sure why."

"It'll make sense tomorrow. Promise. Now, give me the latest rundown on the ammunition stores..."

tdAd32S.png

The coming of Les Hommes
"To War, to War, Charles' head will reach the floor, Saint Aignan runs for the door, the People's voice will boom and roar.

Today, today, we are the Verdets, our colours are pretty, we will cause much malaise.

For good, for good, we rule through wood, shot, and steel; for real.

By god, by god, we will not flog nor flag while we wave the flag for the Verdets!"

But the singing stopped.

A rustle went through the Verdets.

"Napoleon?"

"The Tyrant?"

"People want to be tied to the Corsican?"

The rage, dominating the slums of central Paris, grew confused. Was the man so hated really their allies? Did they march with the National Guard for a Republic or a Bonaparte?

The question was a guillotine, sharp and conscious on the shoulders of Les Hommes.

Moving rapidly through the city to evade arrest and with no printers available, Trecambien reads his hastily written speech at every street corner where the ruckus is quiet enough for people to hear him. Some of his faithful colleagues scratch the Young Franks symbol onto the top, write down the content of the speech and nail it to doors of any large building not yet on fire or plastered in propaganda from other keen revolutionaries.

Spb5n8h.png

REACTION 4: Entendez-vous dans nos campagnes Les cris impurs des scélérats!

"SIRE, this is no longer a riot, it is a REVOLUTION! It is urgent that YOUR MAJESTY resort to some means of PACIFICATION. The honor of the crown can still be saved. TOMORROW PERHAPS WILL BE TOO LATE!" - Marshall Marmont, 8:00 AM.

The Marshal, having received no answer from the complacent King, took upon himself his own plan, and drew it with Saint-Fulgent, who added his own impositions. Four columns were to fan out and occupy the four principal points of the revolting districts and clear out the arteries as they past.

us7GqBJ.jpg

CHARLES X is intransigent; there shall be no submission. Not yet, at least. He MAINTAINS his confidence in SAINT-FULGENT.

NO MERCY IS TO BE SHOWN adds Saint-Fulgent. GRAPE-SHOT where needed!

At NOON, some deputies met at the house of Puyraveau; at the WINDOWS the crowd shouted APPROVAL or DISAPPROVAL of the speeches.

SAINT-FULGENT says to LAFITTE, with confidence. "This will all be over soon; and treachery will be paid in FULL."

They GATHER again, LATE AFTERNOON, at the residence of DURAND. There is DIVISION over whether the full resistance should be supported. LA FAYETTE arrives and PROCLAIMS he will establish the DIRECTION of the INSURRECTION the next MORNING. Will the DEPUTIES propose ANOTHER grievance?

The REACTION commences; the Royal Guard and Swiss, with four pieces of artillery, claw back the HÔTEL VILLE. The PEOPLE are forced into the RUES de MATROIT and the RUES de MOUNTON.

The ROYALIST army MARCHES through PARIS, reaching BASTILLE SQUARE, reinforcing INNOCENTS MARKET, the PLACE DES VICTOIRES, and the MADELINE. But behind them, the PEOPLE awake! They HURL down FURNITURE, and soon, the BARRICADES surround the ADVANCE! AMMUNITION IS RUNNING LOW!

rWH8qqt.jpg

GRAPE-SHOT in the SQUARES! The OPERATIVES seeks out the TREACHEROUS DEPUTIES!

The PEOPLE yell QUICK: ANOTHER ARMY WILL COME! Once and for all to the HÔTEL! TO THE BRIDGE!

wyKIPSd.jpg

-

More to come shortly. Not all orders have been rendered yet. Patience, patience.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89rzjmos3m7crgx/PARIS-REAL.png?dl=0

Last edited:
Lothaire listend to the people yelling. Yelling to go to the bridge, to the hôtel. Desperation were at an all time high, he knew something had to be done. He went forward and spoke uo:

"Brothers. No mercy have been shown to you, no compassion and no mercy will be shown! The masters of reaction are cowering, taking refuge behind their grapeshots. But we will prvail. Because our cause is just, our cause is righteos. And for every innocent patriot of France they murder the blood and disgrace that hold together the chains of reaction will be exposed, the people will see the corruption of their cause and join ours. We have taken to the streets, blood have been shed and more will be shed. Many of you do not want to push forward, forward for the cause of liberalism and freedom. You say we will be dead. Tommorow we may all be dead, that much is true. But how is that diffrent from any other day? A day in oppression and chained by reaction. This is now a war, a war whre the government have forced normal citizens. Workingmen, lawyers, bankers, bakers and landowners to be soldiers. All for the simple reason that we are French and can't be tamed. Death can come to us, at any time. At any corner, during any day. During peace or revolution. Now consider the alternative! What if I and many like me are right? What if we will prevail and we will all enjoy liberty, equality and fraternity? What if tommorow the reaction are broken, the revolution are over and all of France are free? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for so that our children and their children have a life worth living for?

I say yes. Find courage in your hearts. Fulfill your destinies here in the streets, so that brave men such as Deputy La Fayette and Laffitte may fulfill their destiny and provide security and liberty for all of France! Find your flags. The true flag of France! The tricolor, the flag of Marianne and fight. Fight not only for yourselfl, but for all of France!

Vive la France, vive la Charter! Liberté! Égalité! Fraternité!"

"Tout le monde en bas!" shouted a partisan as the sound of cannon-fire erupted over the barricade. The sounds of splintering wood and human scream filled the air, only to be encased by the sound of more gunfire. This was utter madness! thought Alexandre as he raced past the barricades. He remembered his father telling him stories about the first barricades in the 1790s, before Alexandre was born. Robert told stories about Royalist troops fighting back mobs of angry Parisians. Robert also told stories about Napoleon utilizing cannons to blast royalist rebels during the age of the Directory. Was this similar to what Robert experienced?

Regardless, as the other members of the Bourse chose to stay in the Chamber of Commerce, Alexandre decided to make a move towards the Hotel de Ville, and arrived just before the Royalist assault began. The Parisian mobs held firm, inflicting heavy casualties on the royalists, but they were losing. They were being pushed out of the Hotel de Ville, and forced towards the Rues de Matroit and the Rues de Mounton. It was hear that they would make their stand.

Alexandre though knew that the rebels were outgunned. The government dispatched whole columns to deal with the rebels, armed to the teeth with state of the art weapons and cannon. It would be a matter of time before Alexandre and the rest of the rebels would be pinned. "Death to the Bourbons" shouted a revolutionary, firing his musket at the troops. "Viva la Revolution!" shouted another chucking a brick.

Just then, the windows in the buildings above them flung open, and out came furniture, wooden tools, and other pieces of material. They piled up, and soon the army itself was trapped. Now was the rebel's chance to strike back, and Alexandre watched as the rebels poured fire on the royalist forces. Alexandre made his way over to a building to rest, and wrote a letter.

--------------------------------------------------------

A Letter to Jakob Rothschild ((@Davout))

My friend.

The streets are filled with the sounds of death and gunfire. The revolution holds firm at the Rues de Matroit and the Rues de Mounton, but I am not sure if it can hold all day. That is not the reason why I write to you. The men I am fighting with seek not another King, but another Republic or another Empire. They are filled with Jacobin resolve, and I fear that if they get what they want, more blood will flow before the year's end. Our friend, Duval, has already gone out and supported the cause of a Republic, but a Republic is not what France needs. A Republic would lead to chaos and instability, foreign invasion, and scaffolds, something we cannot afford. I beg you to convince the Deputies to find a way to appease the demands for freedom and liberty without agreeing to the most radical demands of these men. For the sake of France, I ask this in you.

-Alexandre Descombes

Last edited:
Laffite's Residence

Talking, talking, talking. This solves nothing. We must act. I will not be massacred as a collaborator like my father. I will give my life for the revolution if necessary, so that my son may be respected and not shunned. So that my wife need not fear the mob.

He knew what he had to do. He unbuttoned his waistcoat.​

((@99KingHigh - Private))

To CHARLES X, the King of France and Navarre
Your Most Christian Majesty,

The events in Paris have proved that the current insurrection has a much more dangerous impact than it was presumed. It is neither street demonstration of these protesting the Ordinances, nor rallies of loyal liberals as some presumed - we see massive Bonapartist and republican conspiracies that are now happening in the city.

Since we do not see the order to have been restored swiftly, as it was initially presumed by Marshal de Marmont, I once again suggest that, while Vicomte de Saint-Fulgent and Duc de Ragusa are battiling the insurgents in the city, we are to send orders to assemble and form a reserve force of loyal troops and gendarmerie, not currently used or summoned by M. de Saint-Fulgent, that would, if neccessary, march under your command or the command of your son, His Royal Highness the Dauphine, should the insurrection widen or the the initial attempts to clear Paris bear no fruit.

I remain your most loyal,
SAINT-AIGNAN

Last edited:
"Tout le monde en bas!" shouted a partisan as the sound of cannon-fire erupted over the barricade. The sounds of splintering wood and human scream filled the air, only to be encased by the sound of more gunfire. This was utter madness! thought Alexandre as he raced past the barricades. He remembered his father telling him stories about the first barricades in the 1790s, before Alexandre was born. Robert told stories about Royalist troops fighting back mobs of angry Parisians. Robert also told stories about Napoleon utilizing cannons to blast royalist rebels during the age of the Directory. Was this similar to what Robert experienced?

Regardless, as the other members of the Bourse chose to stay in the Chamber of Commerce, Alexandre decided to make a move towards the Hotel de Ville, and arrived just before the Royalist assault began. The Parisian mobs held firm, inflicting heavy casualties on the royalists, but they were losing. They were being pushed out of the Hotel de Ville, and forced towards the Rues de Matroit and the Rues de Mounton. It was hear that they would make their stand.

Alexandre though knew that the rebels were outgunned. The government dispatched whole columns to deal with the rebels, armed to the teeth with state of the art weapons and cannon. It would be a matter of time before Alexandre and the rest of the rebels would be pinned. "Death to the Bourbons" shouted a revolutionary, firing his musket at the troops. "Viva la Revolution!" shouted another chucking a brick.

Just then, the windows in the buildings above them flung open, and out came furniture, wooden tools, and other pieces of material. They piled up, and soon the army itself was trapped. Now was the rebel's chance to strike back, and Alexandre watched as the rebels poured fire on the royalist forces. Alexandre made his way over to a building to rest, and wrote a letter.

Lothaire approached a man he drew some sort of connection to. He were straight to the point and said "Soon the Hôtel will fall. I ask that we plan ahead what we will do. Let us announce a provisional government once the building fall. When we raise the Tricolor let us announce the provisional govrnment. Let us then unite both republicans and royalists under a consituational monarchy. I will send word to several men and ask them to join us. I hope you have seen the demands I have drafted up, please let me know if you want something else.Let us create history and a better France now".

Lothaire then calle upon one of his most loyal men, he knew it would perhaps be the last letter he would send. He would either die in the effort to take the Hôtel, be arrested or he would be fully enclosed in setting up his provisional government. He sent the letters, and asked the courier to rush at full haste to the house of Durand.

((Private letters to @MadMartigan @TJDS, La Fayette, Laffitte and the 30 Deputies by Durand)).

Brothers,

Soon the fight is over. Let it be for one reason or the other. If we will prevail or the forces of reaction will prevail I do not know. But the spirits are high. I trust you have recieved my demands and would like you to give your input on all this. When the Hôtel fall, and I say when as such is my confidence, I invite you all over here. Let us set up a provisional government per haste. The current one have proven to fallen out of grace by the people and they have not heeded our petition. When the Tricolor fly again and Marianne lead us all to victory, then you will know the time for you have come to join us all.

Vive la Charter, vive la France!

REVOLUTION 6: MUGIER CES FEROCÉS SOLDATS? ILS VIENNET JUSQUE DANS NOS BRAS!

At the HÔTEL de DURAND, the PARTY of CONCILIATION is DISCOURAGED!

DUVAL unveils his RED FLAG! The PEOPLE chuckle at his portly nature; but the DEPUTIES are UNNERVED.

FINALLY Laffittee PROPOSES; perhaps, he says, ORLÈANS, is our SAVIOR?

MEANWHILE, PARIS attempts the BRIDGE!
K0AHs5y.jpg

The ROYALIST possession was determined; for they were comforted by the ARTILERRY, ranged before the PREFECTURE of the SEINE and the HÔTEL de VILLE. The REPEATED charges of the CUIRASSIERS deter those from on the streets behind the HÔTEL! Heroic DEEDS are FATAL!
j0tdIsJ.png

DEFEAT seems near; but a YOUNG MAN, bearing in his HAND, the TRICOLORED FLAG, charges ACROSS the PONT d'ARCOLE!
tk8ntev.jpg

MOUNTING the FACADE of the PILLAR on the side of GREVE, there was planted the NATIONAL COLORS. The sight of the FLAG animates the CROWD, and when that POOR boy was SHOT DEAD by the GUARDS, and his LIFELESS BODY rolled into the SEINE, the PEOPLE stormed ACROSS the BRIDGE, and RETOOK the HÔTEL!
LIBERTY LEADS THE PEOPLE!
vsoLDuP.jpg

Last edited:
The situation was all but hopeless. Constant shelling of arty and subsquent charges of calvary was all too much for the disorganised masses. "So this is how I will die? By the banks of the Seine?" Lothaire thought to himself as he desperately tried to install courage into the hearts of the men. But it was not he who would turn the tide. A young brave man, a true son of Marianne, charged across with nothing but the Tricolor in his hand. Lothaire had never in his life seen truer courage. He was absolutly movd by the lone charge and took the oppurtinity to do rousing speeches as he had done so many times before. When the boy was shot dead he was quick to sieze the oppurtunity. Many men were already storming the bridge, but he nevertheless took the oppurtunity to speak to some and lead thm to battl.

"March forward! March to liberty! March onward for equality. Let us storm the bridge and the Hôtel and defeat the forces of reaction and oppression once and for all. Liberty lead the way! Let us avenge the brave man, onward!" He then pointed up his saber and led it to an attack. "Join with me. Join with me and all before you, join with Liberty. March into the final battle of our time. Now slip out your inner animal and yell liberty three times!" Lothaire stormed forward with his saber drawn as the men behind him cheered liberty at the top of their lungs and stormed the bridge.Victory was within their grasps.. hopefully he would live to see the end.

Paris
Quai de la Cite

"Down with the King!"

Henri Armentiéres, ostensibly a royalist, joined in the slogan with the majority of the Guard as the men took up firing positions and he took shelter behind a low wall. He could echo that chant with the fervency of a republican, at least. They all knew why, too.

"Down with the Bourbons!"

Henri Jules de Bourbon found this rallying cry a bit more troublesome, as did a majority of the Guard, but elected to join in anyway out of reflex. He finished writing a brief note and handed it to the waiting messenger as a barrage of fire bathed the street in gunsmoke. There was a very straightforward delegation of duties between himself and Gagnon; Gagnon would do the heroism and Henri would make sure that he didn't outrun his supply lines. So far it seemed to be working out.

A sporadic mixed call of "For the Republic!" and "For the Emperor!"

Henri left that cry entirely alone as the second barrage went out. Not even the Guard was fully decided on that particular cause. Besides, all of that would be settled after the fighting. Anyone who tried to settle it right now, before all was won, was either an idiot or a fool. He expected an announcement from Lécuyer any moment now.

"The flag! The flag!"

Henri glanced up from his portable desk at the flag streaming in the breeze, eyebrows raised above smudged cheeks. Everyone had stopped firing. The men looked back at him, accustomed to his methodical style. He made frantic hand gestures and yelled at them.

"Charge!"

All of the men could get behind that chant.

Laughter and good spirits. That's fine, that's well, that's good. The fat Deputy and his red flag follow the train of Parisians heading to look at the fight for the Hotel.

After taking the Hôtel Lothaire rushed and made a speech.

"You there!" He said in a commanding voice pointing at a group of people. "Take a tricolor, perhaps the one the brave patriot charged with. Take it and let it fly on top of the Hôtel! Let all of Paris we are now in control!" The crowd was cheering.

"Now with me cry out Liberty, Equality and Fraternity! Let all of Paris shake to our cry!"

During the crying Lothaire approached a man he knew all too well. Lothaire was sore and bloodsoaked, but the adrenaline him going. "Henri Bourbon ((@etranger01 )) let me know that I do not believe we should kill the Bourbons. Yet this is a fine day! I have already told the 30 Deputies to come here when the Tricolor fly. Let you and I and others declare a provisional government in this building!" Lothaire said in full joy and started some revolutionary song. "And of course let us secure the area.."

Laughter and good spirits. That's fine, that's well, that's good. The fat Deputy and his red flag follow the train of Parisians heading to look at the fight for the Hotel.

Lothaire looked at the red flag and the spectators. He gestured them to come over. He then shouted at the top of his lungs: "Come and join us! Join the people of France. The sons of liberty. Help us to secure the revolution, help us to establish a provitional government by the people! Follow the red flag of liberty, stained in thw blood of martyrs and let it wave beside the Tricolor who at this moment are to be raised. Join us for liberty, equality, fraternity, the Charter and justice!

Last edited:
((Jacques sends multiple notes to Duval @MadMartigan , Durand @TJDS and Armentieres @etranger01 as he does not know where the deputies are now located))

Gentlemen

I am with the masses and I tell you frankly that their will is indomitable.

I do not know where you are or what you are doing but I say in all honesty that it is no longer a question of whether the King can be saved but whether we even have a king. Charles is no longer tenable. The longer the fighting continues the more likely that any king will become untenable.

The choice is in Charles' hand, surrender now and allow a new monarch to reign or be the midwife of a Second Republic.

I return to the fight.

Jacques de R

REACTION 5: Qui viennent jusque dans nos bras Prendre nos filles, nos femmes!

The loss of the HÔTEL de VILLE inspired the basest sentiments of Saint-Fulgent; REINFORCED with fresh MILITA from SAINT-CLOUD, at the URGING of SAINT-AIGNAN, the ARMY moves towards the HÔTEL.

7EcvbT8.jpg

ALL are WEARY; ammunition for the REGULARS are low. NONETHELESS, the WHITES arrive in FORCE; and SOON, the HÔTEL IS CAPTURED AGAIN! AT the ORDER of SAINT-FULGENT; NONE are to be SPARED!

VIVE LE ROI!

MARMONT, anticipating an ORDER from the INDECISIVE KING, realizes that the HÔTEL is too EXPOSED; he orders a GENERAL RECALL of his FORCES to the LOUVRE and the TUILERIES.

HE tells SAINT-FULGENT: This position is unassailable. I can hold out against all PARIS, for two weeks, if necessary, and we will thus have time to call in additional troops.

Opl33Sy.jpg

BUT the RECALL is as BLOODY as the MARCH; so DISTRESSED by the PROJECTILES and the BULLETS, some REGULARS desert.

MANY in the SWISS GUARD have been DISARMED and CAPTURED.

With the GUARD-POSTS DESTROYED, the ARMY sleeps at the PALACE.

By the TIME the forces RETURN, TWENTY-FIVE HUNDRED have PERISHED in the DAY. The call for the ROYAL GUARD garrisons in BEAUVAIS, ORLEANS, ROUEN, and CAEN, is dispatched.

AT SAINT-CLOUD, where the fighting can be heard, the KING affected the appearance of confident calmness and held his usual card game.

MEANWHILE, in PARIS, the DEPUTIES will meet, at the HOUSE of LAFFITTE; from NOON to ONE, depending on the events of the next day, they MUST debate a CONCLUSIVE course. Will they FORM a city committee? Will they issue COMMANDS to the NATIONAL GUARD?

IT will be a NIGHT to BUILD BARRICADES! The HEAT stinks PARIS; the ROT of DECOMPOSITION wafts through the CAPITAL.

The GUTTERS of PARIS run with BLOOD.

-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgg26qg1zk4avi3/Paris_2.png?dl=0

'Till tomorrow.

Last edited:
tdAd32S.png

The coming of Les Hommes
The shot whizzes through the air, cries heard near and far, terrifying in size and scope. All of France, well Paris, was ablaze with hatred and revolution. The times were coming.

Kicking aside the lesser commoners, those without the pure thuggery of the Verdets, Les Hommes pushed their way to the front of the vanguard, fighting side by side with the lessers.

Jews like Duval and Rothchild dared to steal their glory.

Bonapartistes like Lecuyer dared to cheer for a dead and gone Tyrant.

Les Hommes were once again ignored. Pushed aside by lessers in all means.

Les Hommes swirled with impotent rage, a bounding feeling of uselessness surrounded by purpose. Seeing others doing what they should be doing.

Revolution be damned. King be damned. All be damned.

The Verdets march tonight, the Verdets march tonight, get off the streets, or you will die tonight!