• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Note to the merchants and traders of the Bourse and other trading houses in Paris))

My friends

The day of reckoning has arrived. The Government has declared war on its people. They seek to crush us and break our spirits. If we surrender meekly, not only is the merchant class but so is all of France, because what is the lifeblood of France but its commercial class. We create the wealth, pay the taxes and grow the Nation.

Spread the word to your friends and neighbours! France is its people, not its King! Only a King of the people, by the people, for the people can rule our fair France. The people shall speak and we shall be their tongue.

We stand now, shoulder to shoulder, with the labourer, with the clerk. We are one, neither owner nor employee, but French. We fight for their freedom just as they fight for ours.

We raise the standard, Black for the prosperity we should enjoy, and red for the bankruptcy we face if the forces of reaction prevail.

Join us in Liberty and let the sun shine on fertile France again.

Jacques de Rothschild

((Note to Comte Morand))

My General

The day has arrived. Send couriers to the works. All mines are to be defended. The factories are to be made into fortresses. Arm as many men as you can and hold out until relief arrives.

Jacques de Rothschild

Belle put her book down, having finally reached the last page. She glanced up at the clock and she nearly did a double take. Had she truly stayed up into the wee hours of the night reading? She had been so enthralled by the story that she had lost all track of time. The book had been a retelling of Julius Caesar's life, detailing his many dramatic moments from his youth to his death. That last scene had been most appealing, with the author going into excruciating detail about Caesar's final encounter with the discontent senators. The man had perverted the Republic, attempting to make himself the ultimate authority in Rome at the expense of the Senate. By the end, Caesar had been so consumed by his lust for power that he was completely unaware of the fate that awaited him, stabbed to death by those he had taken everything from. It was a gruesome end, but one befitting a tyrant. Any man who thought he could rule alone and against the will of the people was doomed to face a tragic fate.

fxNmCMQ.png

A flury of Private Notes is sent out to the Trustees of Le Dioclétien:

"Dear Colleagues,

I believe we stand united in our opposition to the King's actions. Le Dioclétien shall not be silenced and shall make itself known.

I wish you all the best.

Victor"

Durand then proceeded to the "commonly known place", leaving both his Parisian House and Le Dioclétien Offices in the hands of his most trusted operatives. Again destruction has brought upon France by the foolishness of a King, but this time Durand could play his part.

Paris, June 1830.

Lothaire joined the Globe. He joined them for their romantic views and ties to le National. There they accepted the invitation of le National and condemned the current ministry and even King and his Ordinances by the strongest measures. They released statements in tandem with le National and made editorials of their own refusing to stand by the current government, calling for what many could take as.. revolution.

The paper, who defied press laws, also held an open letter by Lothaire Lécuyer, his deputy bloc and several prominent Orléanists, demanding the ministry to step down and questioning the Divine Right of the King. More concrning they told the workers to go on strikes, and the bussinesses to close down and the Bourse and banks to not lend money. To go back to usual bussiness only when the open hostility against the people and the industrialists would come to an end.

300px-R%C3%A9volte_Fouesnant.jpg

The Brotherhood of Guards
The Brotherhood of Guards was founded in a Parisian salon by former Captaine and political dissident Matéo Gagnon. The organization was formed as a refuge for former National Guardsmen to talk and reminisce about the good old days after Charles X disbanded the organization in 1827. The society was very informal, for fear of persecution by the Ultraroyalists and reactionaries, with Chartist salons and cafes being the chief meeting spaces for the Brotherhood. Although not outwardly political, one would be hard pressed to find a member of the Brotherhood that wasn't a Orleanist, Chartist, or even a Republican. As such, most of the talk that went on was hushed resentment against Charles X and his regime. Whether the club would evolve as time went on, or if it maintained it's informal state, only time could tell.

((Private letter, around start of 1830)).

Capitaine,
I've seen you have formed an official organization for former National Guardsmen. I wanted to do the same, but refrained from it due to my history with thw Veterans League. I will provide to you a list of all the small clubs I organised for forner National Guardsmen. They are all under 20 members to not break the law. I leave them under your organization for a centralised leadership. I expect nothing in return.

-Lothaire Lécuyer.

Last edited:
The following statement is printed in Le Diocletién, Le Constitutionnel, and Le National, on behalf of those papers' editors.

We object in the strongest terms to the autocratic usurpation of power presently underway by the King's Ministry. We believe in a democratic, constitutional system ruled by laws; the Ministry instead seeks tyranny and rule by fiat. No loyalty can be expected to endure under such conditions.

We call upon the King's Ministry to repeal the Four Ordinances, to withdraw the Five Laws, and to hold the new elections without the spectre of corruption or the restriction of the franchise. We call upon the Ministry to uphold the Charter and to repent from its dictatorial course of action.

Should they fail to do so, then it becomes entirely clear that France is no longer a nation ruled by laws, but rather by force. The natural response to unlawful force is resistance; it falls to the people of France to determine just how far that resistance will go. Though the Ministry may blame the people for what is to come, they are owed no obedience for their attacks on French liberty, and should they seek to attack the French people themselves, they shall reap a bitter harvest indeed.

REACTION 2: ALLONS ARMEÉ CATHOLIQUE!

Evening - FIFTEEN DEPUTIES, meeting at the house of Alexandre de Laborde, decide they were not in sufficient numbers to take any initiative and that they would meet again at the house of DURAND at about 3:00 PM.

The INDUSTRIALISTS close their worker-shops. PARIS WILL BE UNEMPLOYED FOR THE NEXT DAY!

AT BOURSE the bonds fall FOUR POINTS!

The ORDINANCES are READ throughout PARIS.

q7TXbcj.jpg

ON THIERS' SUGGESTION, the JOURNALISTS gather, and SIGN a PROTEST!

We object in the strongest terms to the autocratic usurpation of power presently underway by the King's Ministry. We believe in a democratic, constitutional system ruled by laws; the Ministry instead seeks tyranny and rule by fiat. No loyalty can be expected to endure under such conditions.

We call upon the King's Ministry to repeal the Four Ordinances, to withdraw the Five Laws, and to hold the new elections without the spectre of corruption or the restriction of the franchise. We call upon the Ministry to uphold the Charter and to repent from its dictatorial course of action.

Should they fail to do so, then it becomes entirely clear that France is no longer a nation ruled by laws, but rather by force. The natural response to unlawful force is resistance; it falls to the people of France to determine just how far that resistance will go. Though the Ministry may blame the people for what is to come, they are owed no obedience for their attacks on French liberty, and should they seek to attack the French people themselves, they shall reap a bitter harvest indeed.

SIGNED BY FOURTY-FOUR JOURNALISTS! IT IS CIRCULATED THROUGHOUT THE CAFÉS!
Some gatherings of printing workers, former guardsmen, and students began to assemble around the Bourse and the Palais-Royal, crying "VIVE LA FRANCE!" "LUTTE POUR LA LIBERTÉ!"

The theaters and popular dance-halls were full as usual.

LES HOMMES gather in secret; it is their largest meeting ever!

The King returns from Rambouillet.

The NIGHT is CALM. The POLICE are in good order of PARIS.

--

JUNE 26

LE NATIONAL, LE CONSTITUTIONNEL, LE GLOBE, LE DIOCLETIAN, PUBLISH WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION. The Journal des Débats abstain. The royalist papers, authorized, EXULT in LYRIC PROSE, the TRIUMPH OF THE KING. VIVE LE ROI!

DISCONTENT is NOT without PUNISHMENT. The PREFECT OF POLICE orders the SEIZURE of the presses of the RECALITRANT PAPERS. The ORDERS are EXECUTED early in the MORNING; all the printers are seized by 10 AM. [1]

ILaL8sp.jpg

Le National is seized.

Ft8MiqF.jpg

Le Diocletian is seized.

WARRANTS for the ARREST of the JOURNALISTS are EXECUTED. But the JOURNALISTS are in HIDING!

Marshall MARMONT, duc de Ragusa, COMMANDER-in-CHIEF of the ROYAL GUARD, is called to see the KING. He will arrive at 11:30 AM.

--

REVOLUTION 2: LE JOUR DE GLOIRE EST ARRIVÉ!

In the streets, the AGITATION begins to grow. PAMPHLETS from the day before FLOOD the street! The students of the REPUBLICAN SOCIETIES call out the unemployed WORKRS by the shop closings! THEY BEGIN TO BREAK THE SIGNS BEARING THE ROYAL COAT OF ARMS! THE GUN SHOPS ARE PILLAGED! A FATAL MOMENT IS APPROACHING!

o9ZZBVl.jpg

The Gun Shops are Attacked!

F4JIxZJ.jpg

At the Rue de Richelieu, Le Fauré Le Page!

[1] There can be no more printing from the liberal presses.
-
It is Saturday, 10:30 AM, June 26th, in the Year of our Lord, 1830.

Armentières, June 24th 1789 1830
Estate of the Marquise

It was a beautiful day. Amélie had been up before dawn, enjoying a warm tea while watching through her window as the nature and countryside slowly awoke from their nightly slumber. The children were still sleeping, and even Louis was on a good night, not waking more than once. It seemed like nothing could shake off this warm and cozy countryside bliss.

The season of the Château was most relaxing, the high demands of the society of Paris trickled down to a few visits. Soon, Henri would join her, as she longed for his presence, the Deputies having been called to sit for an extended period.

The King was certainly misbehaving with his new-old Ministry. Soon, he would tire of playing Louis XIV in the wrong age and make the expected concessions to the left and all would be perfect, a summer of comfort yet again.

A messenger is dispatched from Paris to Armentieres on the Franco-Belgian border, estimated to arrive within the week.

To the Marquise of Armentieres ((PRIVATE -- @Eid3r))

Dearest,

The critical moment has arrived. The King has dissolved the Chamber and rules by decree. The people are in the streets.

I've enclosed copies of the ordinances, the proposed laws, and all the relevant publications. I entrust them to you and ask that you organize the other Society offices in the north. I have sent similar messengers to the south and west.

Know that I am safe and that all will be well. All my love to you and to the children.

Yours,
Henri

Armentières, June 26th 1789 1830
Estate of the Marquise

The beauty of the countryside was the quaint and quiet nature of its activity. It was like a forgotten piece of France, far from the city troubles and its incessant demands. As she was coming back from a long stroll with Charlotte, where they picked up flowers and even seen a stag running toward a nearby wood, which sparked intense discussion about hunting, as it was no fair, to Charlotte, that stags are not provided with bows or muskets to defend themselves.

As she entered her boudoir, she frowned at the papers placed on a table. She was not willing to sully her mood with news from Paris, where it would be endless bickering about the reactionary laws proposed, and the liberal arguments against it, peppered with age-old insanity coming from those who would return the whole world to 1400 or 1450.

No, definitely not, she told herself. She would rather much spend time with the kids, given that Henri would be here any days now. She sat on the floor next to Louis, who was playing with toy soldiers that her husband had crafted for him.

Amélie: “And what are we up to young man?”
Louis: “Swoosh! Pow! Defending Papa!”
Amélie: “Defending the Papa? From who?”
Louis: “The King”.
Amélie: "The King? What a silly notion Louis, it is the King who defends us all from the villains."

She smiled softly as her daughter entered, searching the whole place for a ribbon.

Amélie: Charlotte, have you lost your ribbon again?
Charlote: “It fled.”
Amélie: “Do not worry, I will ask Papa to buy you more before coming back from Paris. You remember the shop? It is near those awful gun shops, I am sure he will find a way to get you new ribbons darling.”

She proceeded to the table to write a letter for her husband.

“Dearest Henri,

The countryside is as beautiful than ever. Will you join us soon? Surely the King will not keep the Chamber in session the whole summer?

It has been two months away from you already and I long for your warm embrace.

If this letter reaches you before you leave Paris, Charlotte needs new ribbons. You know where to get them.

With Affection,

Amélie”

She gave the letter to a servant. “Have this sent to Paris with tomorrow’s mail.”

REACTION 3: CONTRE NOUS DE LA RÉPUBLIQUE

MARSHAL MARMONT arrives at SAINT-CLOUD at 11:30 AM and describes the situation to the MINISTERS.

The INSURRECTION is SMALL; the NEWSPAPERS have DEFIED as expected. More WORRISOME is the affair near the PALAIS-ROYAL, at the RUE DE RICHILEIU, where the PILLAGING has occurred. THEY MUST BE REPRESSED.

The KING says to MARMONT, as he makes him supreme commander of the Parisian garrison:

I understand that there are disturbances in Paris. You will go there and take command of the troops. You will have all gatherings dispersed, and if, as I hope, all is quiet by evening, you will come back to Saint-Cloud for the night. On your arrival you will report to M. de Saint Fulgent.
Marmont intends to set his HQ at the PLACE DU CARROUSEL.

Where do the OTHER MINISTERS go? What other ORDERS do they have?

A note is delivered to L'Elan by a runner.

To the editor of L'Elan ((PRIVATE - @Dadarian))

Monsieur,

I have a long history with your publication, of which your predecessor may have made you aware. I have always been encouraged by L'Elan's commitment to publishing the truth and to promoting the cause of the common people.

With that in mind, as a long-time subscriber, I hope that you will consent to publish the joint statement from the morning papers, along with the news of the day, on your press, which was so graciously donated to you those many years ago.

If you see fit to do so, I am prepared to reimburse you for the entire print run and to distribute it using my own runners. They shall convey the papers to the workingman's sections of the city and to the inns and taverns, there to inform the common man free of charge.

Do send your note with the young man who conveyed this note. I eagerly await your positive reply.

- H

@naxhi24

@Davout

The Chamber of Commerce has made its voice heard, they have set into motion all that they can do. Now it is time for Deputies to make their stand. Duval looks upon the faces of his two colleagues, his partners in business, and makes an impassioned appeal.

"It is the duty of the better classes to lead the poor by example and not leave them to their own devices. We did not close down the shops of Paris so that idle hands could do the devil's work, we must go to the workers' quarter and call them to arms. This is no businessman's protest, no local matter of petitioning the Mayor, so I do not expect the Chamber of Commerce to follow into the slums. But as a Deputy and a former Minister, I have an obligation to go and speak, to put myself at the same risk as any other man, so that those with education and poise might lead the masses through the fog of war.

Alexandre, I know you are not a Deputy, not a politician, but you are the young hope of our class. I hope you will accompany me into the gutters of Paris so we may raise the united banner of one people, one nation, high.

Jakob, I know these times are more dangerous for you than for many, and you have much on your mind. But never has there been a Minister and a Deputy more unwilling to accept slander than you. Your voice is one that echoes throughout Paris.

As employers and men of political conviction, we stand at the threshold between two worlds. So we must decide for ourselves, do we fight only for higher interest rates, or is there a higher calling? In the light of morning we can see that the aristocracy is not here to lead the people they claim to protect, they will not and cannot. Tomorrow and the next day and after that it will be the captains of industry who serve as the patrons and protectors of the common men. And so we must accept, along with the reigns of power, the burden of noblesse oblige.

We must stand on tables. We must shout at the tops of our lungs. And when the time comes, we must lend a hand to the building of the barricades. Our dignity as the productive class demands nothing less.

Will you come with me to the workers' quarters? Will you follow me into the heart of danger for a noble cause?"

((If the available deputies could gather and make their opinions known around (or before) 3 PM or so whether they wish to openly support an insurrectional resistance or prepare another of protest against the ordinances that would be great (at the apartment of Durand); most of the action will be conducted in the evening.))

((@99KingHigh - Private))

To His Majesty, Charles X, the King of France and Navarre
Your Majesty,

In the current political situation, which has been created despite my advise, as Minister of the Interior, I must inform you that I find the recent happenings to be dangerous. Before we had to deal with solely republican and jacobin forces, such as the Charbonnerie, but now we clear see the radical left acting at the same time as the previously moderate one, such as represented by Diocletian.

In the current situation there is only two options – either for Your Majesty to revoke the ordinances of Saint-Cloud (which, of course, now, would be an act of submission) or to organize vigorous suppression of the rebellious attempts of the Parisian leftists. While Marechal de Marmonte claims that the insurrection is small, he is a soldier, not a statesman - and therefore lacks the understanding that any insurrection in the heart of the Kingdom, one backed by all spectre of leftist newspapers (and the elites associated with it), one may presume that a mouse can become a mountain.

If the latter option is chosen, I would most strongly recommend to create safeguards of such nature:

1. Declare, in accordance with the Law on the General Security of 1820, the state of strengthened security in Paris and its neighborhoods.

2. Create a strong military detachment, consisting of the most loyal troops, as a reserve in case Marechal de Marmonte fails to deal with the rebellion swiftly. Such forces should be put under a command of a general of definite royalist convictions, not afraid of applying force. Should we see the insurrection widening and the garrison of Paris not being able to deal with the situation, such reserve forces should march upon Paris, blockading it and guaranteeing order within it. It may be prudent also to have such a force ready in case of insurrection starting in other parts of the Realm. Should it come to that, it may be good to grant the titular authority over such a detachment to His Royal Highness, the Duc de Angouleme, while entrusting the true leadership to an experienced and firm general.

3. Instruct the provincial prefects of the departments bordering Paris to be ready to strengthen the military and police presence in the capital by the use of the gendarmerie (and incorporated voluntary gendarmerie) detachements in their disposal.

4. Pronounce, upon consultation with the Council of State, a number of ordinances beneficial for the lower classes of France, especially the rural peasantry, that would create a division between these people, traditionally loyal to conservative values, and the representatives of the liberal bourgouise backing the disorders.

Unless such measures are conducted, it may be extremely hard for me to defend peace and stability within France.

I remain your loyal servant,
SAINT-AIGNAN

Paris.

Matéo Gagnon stands in a gathering of Parisians, many of them hailing from the middle classes. His guardsmen stand mingled within the crowd, with Capitaine Gagnon standing above the crowd on a table.

"The King and His Ministry have shut down our freedom of speech! I have been informed that those few newspapers and journalists who dare to voice their own opinion have been brutally repressed by His Majesty's Government. We can not tolerate this! We must not tolerate this! Our path is evidently clear, blatantly obvious for all to see, we must exercise our rights, by force if necessary! We shall not be whipped into obedience like slaves! We shall resist, for it is our duty! We owe it to France, and we owe it to the people of our country! Stand with me, if not for your sake, for the sake of your families and all families in France!

VIVE LE FRANCE!

LUTTE POUR LA LIBERTÉ"

((@99KingHigh - Private))

To His Majesty, Charles X, the King of France and Navarre
Your Majesty,

In the current political situation, which has been created despite my advise, as Minister of the Interior, I must inform you that I find the recent happenings to be dangerous. Before we had to deal with solely republican and jacobin forces, such as the Charbonnerie, but now we clear see the radical left acting at the same time as the previously moderate one, such as represented by Diocletian.

In the current situation there is only two options – either for Your Majesty to revoke the ordinances of Saint-Cloud (which, of course, now, would be an act of submission) or to organize vigorous suppression of the rebellious attempts of the Parisian leftists. While Marechal de Marmonte claims that the insurrection is small, he is a soldier, not a statesman - and therefore lacks the understanding that any insurrection in the heart of the Kingdom, one backed by all spectre of leftist newspapers (and the elites associated with it), one may presume that a mouse can become a mountain.

If the latter option is chosen, I would most strongly recommend to:

1. Declare, in accordance with the Law on the General Security of 1820, the state of strengthened security in Paris and its neighborhoods.

2. Create a strong military detachment, consisting of the most loyal troops, as a reserve in case Marechal de Marmonte fails to deal with the rebellion swiftly. Such forces should be put under a command of a general of definite royalist convictions, not afraid of applying force. Should we see the insurrection widening and the garrison of Paris not being able to deal with the situation, such reserve forces should march upon Paris, blockading it and guaranteeing order within it. It may be prudent also to have such a force ready in case of insurrection starting in other parts of the Realm. Should it come to that, it may be good to grant the titular authority over such a detachment to His Royal Highness, the Duc de Angouleme, while entrusting the true leadership to an experienced and firm general.

3. Instruct the provincial prefects of the departments bordering Paris to be ready to strengthen the military and police presence in the capital by the use of the gendarmerie (and incorporated voluntary gendarmerie) detachements in their disposal.

4. Pronounce, upon consultation with the Council of State, a number of ordinances beneficial for the lower classes of France, especially the rural peasantry, that would create a division between these people, traditionally loyal to conservative values, and the representatives of the liberal bourgouise backing the disorders.

Unless such measures are conducted, it may be extremely hard for me to defend peace and stability within France.

I remain your loyal servant,
SAINT-AIGNAN

XPc4ZFW.jpg

I will, of course, oblige a state of strengthened security, but I shall not attack my own city, which at the present moment, by the indications of the Marshal, is very much in happy condition; any stronger action might incite fiercer resistance. As for the rural peasantry, I know where their loyalties are, and even so, irregardless of our action, it would take exceptionally long to make their persons known. No, we must keep a steady and calm decorum, and not resort to panic.

A pamphlet was distributed:

"The King rules but does not govern!

People of France the government have broken their social contract. They have violated the Charter.

It is our duty as citizens to protect the Charter. It is our duty to make sure the King rules but does not govern.

The ministry must step down and the ordinances must be retracted.

But let us not fall into chaos and unrest. Republicans, Royalists and moderates along come together. Join forces under the juste milieu!"

-----

Lothaire approached a scene of looting in his military uniform. The tension was high, was he a man in the service of the King? He stepped up and held a brief speech:

"Patriots of France! Sons of Marianne! The government have failed in their most basic task to protect you. They have failed to uphold the Charter and your liberties.

We must break off the chains of reaction! The legal government have brought itself down, we must now apply force to protect our rights.

Vive la Charter! Le roi règne mais negouverne pas!"

((Private letter to @Cloud Strife ))

Your Royal Highness,

Revolution, as your sister predicted, are sweeping in. Take upon your fate. Emerge as a leader and unite the moderates and the extremists under your banner".

A pamphlet was distributed:

"The King rules but does not govern!

People of France the government have broken their social contract. They have violated the Charter.

It is our duty as citizens to protect the Charter. It is our duty to make sure the King rules but does not govern.

The ministry must step down and the ordinances must be retracted.

But let us not fall into chaos and unrest. Republicans, Royalists and moderates along come together. Join forces under the juste milieu!"

-----

Lothaire approached a scene of looting in his military uniform. The tension was high, was he a man in the service of the King? He stepped up and held a brief speech:

"Patriots of France! Sons of Marianne! The government have failed in their most basic task to protect you. They have failed to uphold the Charter and your liberties.

We must break off the chains of reaction! The legal government have brought itself down, we must now apply force to protect our rights.

Vive la Charter! Le roi règne mais negouverne pas!"
((No pamphlets, printers are closed.))