• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
lxdusqk.jpg

Dans le Service de Sa Majesté

Dans le Service de Sa Majesté is the non-fiction book written by Henri-Maurice de Saint-Germain, an unauthorised and unofficial biography on Saint Germain's friend, the duc du Sully. It was written shortly after the 1828 election which brought Sully's ministry to an end. Although by far not a hagiography, it was written in an overall positive tone, most likely due to Saint Germain's friendship with the former leader of the French Government. Also uncharacteristically to Saint Germain, it was written with a foreword in the first person by the noted French author, a personal invitation from Saint Germain to the reader.

The foreword expresses how Saint Germain truly met Sully, outlining their first meeting. Although (the foreword states) there were more than a few casual meetings between Sully and Saint Germain with the Ultraroyaliste social circles of Paris, their first meeting was during the 1824 election in Marsailles. A key election pitting Henri-Maurice against the noted liberal (and fellow plebeian) M. Duval, the race actually began due to a personal invitation from the duc du Sully to compete within the race on the King's behalf. Henri-Maurice, amazed and entirely unexpected, did his filial duty towards the King. This took place via a letter, and Sully met with Saint Germain shortly after, expressing how he was going to invest a grand portion of funds into his race (although the amount is unknown, it is suspected by historians to be the hundreds of thousands of francs). This first meeting was immensely detailed, presenting the imposing but moderately dour figure of Sully as due.

The book then continues to Sully's life prior to politics. It outlines, clearly and with little embellishment, Sully's childhood as the third son of the wealthy Duc de Béthune, including Sully's stay in Vienna during the Revolutionary French era. It then details Sully's rise in the Austrian military, his ennoblement, and then move to the Russian military than return to France. Due to not being a biography written with Sully's input, little on the early days are expanded on besides their most basic facts while the battles portrayed are vague but grandiose in writing.

The real meat of the book comes during Sully's life in politics, especially following Henri-Maurice's own entrance to national politics. It all began with the formation of the Ultraroyaliste Order of Varennes in 1817, which introduced Sully to such figures as the marquis de Valence, the duc de Saint Aigan (whom Sully fought with in Russia), and the Archbishop of Reims, hugely influential figures within French society and (sometimes hyper) conservative politicians.

During Valence's ministry, Sully moved himself ably, playing off the various personalities that dominated much of the Ultraroyalistes. This section casts Valence as a bit of a dilettante, Saint Aigan as a thoroughly uprighteous individual, and the Archbishop of Reims as a heroic ultramonatist. Following the collapse of Valence in 1821, Sully's maneuvering paid off and he was awarded with the Presidency of the Council.

Sully's ministry is then taken apart carefully. Brilliances such as Sully's win in the battle of perception on the rather (in the eyes of the author) unneeded Spanish Intervention was important in securing immense goodwill and support for Sully, as well as his calling of an election just past the winning of said Intervention, allowing the maximal capitalisation on the good will. However Sully's flaws are also exposed, like his inaction at times to present himself and his ministry in the premier light by publicly defending his bills (although this is said to be less due to unwillingness and more due to the surprisingly sickly nature of Sully himself). Furthermore, Sully is shown to have been unable to herd the egos which dominated the Ultras, preventing their de facto dissolution in the face of inner turmoil. Lastly, Sully is honestly criticised for throwing himself on the sword needlessly over the government's poorly received censorship bill. Sully's retirement from the Presidency is outlined, and it is extrapolated that while he may continue living in Paris and being a member of the Chamber, it is very likely that politics may take a backseat (at least openly) to more civil pursuits.

The book was released by the Publications de la Maison d'Herbes in Paris, and was one of the more prideful productions by Henri-Maurice, who thought it a nice but fair judgement of his friend.

To Henri-Maurice de Saint-Germain ((@Dadarian - Private))
Monsieur de Saint-Germain,

Without unneccessary prefaces, I must note that the current division between the different factions of what once was the mighty movement of the pure royalists is very sad to me. By God, if there was a person who has tried to prevent such a separation - it was my humble self. However, the situation is now as it is. I believe that, in order to, mayhaps, reach accord in the future, it is important for us to understand our differences. And, without discussion, we would be not able to do so. It pains me to think that while the loyal servants to His Most Christian Majesty quarrel between themselves, radicals and bonapartists may triumph.

If it is convenient to yourself, I would invite you to dine with me this Friday, in my mansion.

I send my best regards,
- SAINT-AIGNAN

Dear M. Saint-Aignan

I would gladly sup at your home. Indeed, the partition of the royalists is utterly unnecessary, as what is needed is a true bond for common, modern royalists. A discussion for the future would be most splendid, although I cannot promise what my word would do, as my duties are no longer a public venture.

I await,

Henri-Maurice de Saint Germain, OSM

The Palais-Royal, after the Speech from the Throne.

Upon returning to civic life after spending the last few years restoring his house's standing with his fellow nobility, Louis-Philippe noted a Left much expanded and much more vigorous. Where once he could see some 20 to 30 Deputies of the authentic Left he now saw over a 100; there would have been more, in Orléans' opinion, if the vote had not been weighted towards the Right by extralegal means. His own faction numbered some 26 in the larger Left and he would begin there by inviting them discussions, calling upon their residences, and introducing them to sympathetic members of the nobility and the industrious class they would need to help advance their careers.

As for the larger Left, Orléans directed his Lady Sister to once again admit politicians into her Salon. For his part, Orléans would meet with the deputies under the Chartist banner in small groups and having identified the most promising individuals he would grant them invitations to dine in the Palais-Royal. There they would be given similar treatment that Orléans reserved for his close supporters in the hopes that the two major factions of the Left could benefit from synergies. Over time he had noted the differences in the more populist-oriented Bourbon-Armentiéres' faction of the Chartists and the more policy-wonky oriented faction of that group led by Durand. For the Left to take power those two groups would have to remain united as well as his own friends remaining amenable to working with them. The necessity of forging a united Left dominated Orléans' correspondence with Lécuyer, who was urged by the Duc to refrain from rocking the proverbial boat too much.

In family matters, his relations with Bourbon-Armentiéres were becoming warm and familial. The floor leader of the Chartists request to make Orléans and his wife godparents to his new son and heir was enthusiastically accepted by Orléans. A birth within the circle of the Royal Family was rare and, even if the fact probably ate at Bourbon-Armentiéres, the nobility would be rejoicing at the first birth of a legitimate heir to a member of the House of Condé in years. Due to familial considerations the Duc favored Bourbon-Armentiéres for the leadership of the larger Left in the legislature but acknowledged he would also have to support Durand's aspirations, in order to retain the confidence of Durand's supporters.

It was curious indeed that a man with such an excellent command of domestic policy would be sent to the Foreign Ministry. While Durand was vocal on the Greek issue he was most known for his various efforts at rationalizing government operations and promotion of commerce. He suspected Durand was being side-lined by the King and his allies. As unfortunate as the waste of potential that this was Durand had to make a success of his appointment or risk the failure rebounding upon the Left. Like every other member of the high nobility he had his friends and contacts in the major and minor capitals of Europe. He would place these connections in the service of Durand to allow him to better navigate the courts of Europe.

Then there was the matter of Duval. He knew him from his days in the Order. His wife's faith was something of an impediment in moving around in the social circles of Paris, even for some Liberals who retained old suspicions. Orléans wished to admit Duval's wife to his sister's circle and use the occasion to make inroads with Duval himself. Like Durand he was an authentic product of progressive views and the sort of self-made man that Orléans admired. He too would be given any help he could muster to make his ministry as much of a success as possible.

kRsH6mu.png

ROYER-COLLARD for the Presidency of the Chamber of Deputies

9i6QYSH.jpg

With the election now behind us, the follower of the politics of this great realm must take a moment to glance at the divided aspect of our nation. Where, under the good King Louis XVIII, stood three major parties in the Chamber of Deputies, we now find a most eclectic fragmentation, with deputies of all horizons, may they be from the left – and as such, calling themselves Orléanists, Durandiste, Chartistes, Liberals – or from the right – dubbed edge royalists, Berstettists or Sullyist. Such a configuration of the Chamber is bound to usher a new era of uncertainty, after years of the most solid ultraroyalist majority in terms of number.

In the unknown lies the possibility for great rewards, if men are bold enough to seize upon the daunting challenge before them. As it currently stands, the discussions are numerous about the election of the President for the Chamber of Deputies. Which man can command enough authority to lead the rowdy crowd of the Palais-Bourbon, balance the interests of the various factions and ensure the passing of the most important legislation, tackling a wide array of issues such as explicated by His Majesty the King in his opening speech in front of the Chamber?

Search no further than the apt, modest and widely respected Pierre-Paul Royer-Collard. From humble origins, this most mild-mannered man has risen on the account of his intellect and his loyalty to the crown, at once serving on the Secret council of the Comte de Provence, his late Majesty Louis XVIII, at a time when only the staunchest royalist and courageous émigrés still remained loyal to the royal cause.

A most devoted teacher of history and philosophy at the Sorbonne, Monsieur Royer-Collard has shown a powerful respect for the traditions of this realm and the various political directions held close to the heart of many members of the Chamber. His mastery of the arcane of literary thought has brought his much celebrated election at the Académie française but a year ago. The Chamber of Deputies would naturally benefit of the talents of such a man and from the competency, skill and dignity he would instantly bring to the fonction by transcending factions.

It is therefore for all these reason that we entreat all the good royalists deputies of this august Chamber to elect Monsieur Royer-Collard to the Presidency of the Chamber of Deputies.

- A modern royalist

Last edited:
((Private))

The weeks following Belle's wedding with filled with activity. The compensation of the émigrés had seen a sudden windfall for the couple, for Prince Louis de Rohan (a name Belle was still getting used to) was set to be a beneficiary of the law due to the significance of his titles and lost land. Now with enough money available, they could afford to repair the castle. Belle had taken up the task of managing the repairs. Workmen were brought into to fix up the roof and other damage caused during the Revolution, as well as give the building a more modern look. What noble actually lived in a castle these days? All the broken and damaged furniture were finally removed and replaced with new ones not covered in dust or worn down. Mme Potts commence a mass cleaning effort, removing all the filth that had built up over the years, trying to make every inch of the castle look presentable. Belle took to sprucing up the grounds, which had already been improved by her over the years. It was a lengthy process, one that might well take all year to complete, but they would make their home anew.

As for the Prince, he had taken to his study more and more often, managing the affairs of his estate that he had been neglecting for so long. He had to clean up the mess left in the wake of the Revolution, as well as his parents' death. It often left him frustrated, for clearly such things were not simple. It was during one of these moments that Belle decided to visit him in his study.

The room was silent other than for the scratching of the quill on paper. The Prince sat at his desk, Cogsworth hovering over him, waiting for the moment his wisdom would be needed. Louis's beard was already starting to fill in, for Belle had insisted he grow it back out and he had willingly gone along with it. At times she had even gotten into the habit of calling him her Beast, always in a playful manner. He seemed to enjoy the name, carrying a vision of strength and courage with it. As she pondered on this, she approached the desk, eyeing the papers strewn about. While she could read them well enough, they were filled with legal jargon that didn't catch her interest.

"How are things today, my beloved husband?" Belle said, leaning on the desk and fixing Louis with a sweet smile.

"Tiresome, as usual," Louis said with a sigh. He scratched at his face, itchy from the newly grown hair. "I've finally received some reports on the condition of my estate in Montbazon, and the news is as expected. Most of the lands have been claimed by others and the estate is in ruin. It will likely cost quite a bit to get everything in order down there, but we have the funds now. All it will take is time. As for Bouillon, that is a lost cause. The Congress may have recognized my claim to the duchy, but all the lands were given to the Grand Duke of Luxembourg."

Louis rubbed at his forehead, scanning the papers before him. There were bags under his eyes, and all this work was clearly starting to wear him down. He seemed to be pondering over several documents when Cogsworth cleared his throat.

"I believe you had some good news you wished to share," Cogsworth said, gently sliding one document from the edge of the desk right in front of Louis.

"Ah, yes," the Prince said, cheering up greatly as he snatched up the paper. He handed it over to Belle with a grin. "I believe you may wish to read this, Baroness."

Belle opened her mouth to question the strange title choice, but with the paper being shoved in her direction, she through better of it and decided to read instead. She spent a few minutes in silence reading the document, growing more confused as she read. It seemed to be some sort of legal document, one recognizing her as a noblewoman descended from a baron. She crunched up her brow, confused by what she was reading. She certainly had not known of any nobility in her family. Clearly this could not be real.

"I don't understand," Belle finally said. "I'm not a noble by blood."

"You are now," Louis said with a wink. He took back the paper and handed it to Cogsworth, who filed it away somewhere. "I took the liberty of making use of some contacts to arrange it. You are now officially recognized as a member of the nobility, descended from a French baron. The truth does not matter, only what the perception is. If people believe you are a baroness, then you are a baroness."

"But why?" Belle said, fidgeting with her dress. "Why does it matter if I have noble blood or not?"

Louis rose from his seat and stepped over towards his wife. He pulled her into a side embrace and leaned close. "It does not matter to me, but there will always be those who disapprove. If they knew you were a commoner, they would shun you as a pariah. I don't want you to face that."

Belle shrugged, for she didn't truly grasp the politics of nobility, but she supposed Louis knew what he was talking about. She wasn't overly fond of the idea that they were forging her a noble title. She hoped this would not cause problems in the future. All she wanted was to live her life in peace beside her husband. Perhaps one day she'd long to experience the life of a high-born socialite, and then they would truly see if this plan worked.

(Joint IC with @naxhi24 )

Hôtel de Lassay, Paris
Salon de la Marquise (Part II)

“A year before Napoleon fell, I found myself in Paris with some good friends of mine. We were strolling the streets at night when a group of men came and asked us who we supported, the Emperor or the exiled King. We didn't really give an answer, and they took it as an insult, so they rushed us. The fight lasted roughly ten minutes as we beat them senseless. It was such a scuffle that we ended up waking the block! The day after the ordeal, I found out that the group of men were led by the son of a Vicomte! Imagine the shock on his face when he realized his son was beating up men in the name of a King during the Empire!” said Alexandre chuckling a bit before drinking another glass of wine.

Amélie listened with intent the rather complex story. “What an incredible story Monsieur Descombe. Surely, you have many unexpected talents, but are you still wanted by the gendarmes for such an altercation?”

“Nonsense! The Empire fell before the gendarmes even realized what happened! Plus, they attacked me first, so I was merely defending myself. Regardless though, the altercation did enough to teach them not to pick fights!” said Alexandre, chuckling a bit.

The Marquise laughed at the comment: “You are so funny Monsieur Descombes. That is very good for you and will lead you far in Parisian society, where so many men are complete bores. But I sense you are also adept at stealing hearts, not only if I judge by the smile of my dearest Eugénie, but also by the story which you ought to tell us, about that distant alpine lover in Switzerland.”

“My family originates from Switzerland, madame. We were once Swiss bankers operating out of Zurich before moving to Paris, though we have had more success here in France then we ever did in Switzerland. There are members of the family, distant of course, that still reside in Zurich, and on occasion my immediate family would go to visit them. It was roughly seven years ago that we last made the trek up the Alps, and I happened to lay eyes on the daughter of a notable Swiss merchant. We both fell for each other, and it is safe to say that 75% of that trip was spent with her! Of course, not all good things have to last. We left Zurich, and we have yet to communicate with each other at all. It seems she moved on. But, never fear, for it is her loss that she left me!” said Alexandre, taking a larger swig of wine. It wasn’t his favorite story to tell, but it was one that got people interested in what he was saying.

Amélie was rather amused by the story. She thoroughly enjoyed the company of the young man, who would make a fine addition to her social circle, given he survived the unavoidable end of his affair with Eugénie de Ligny, who would most likely find a new puppy to fall enamored of in several weeks. “Well, these are all quite interesting stories, but I am afraid that they are also rather old, several years past. What are you up to these days, my dear Monsieur Descombes?”

“Banking things, and going to gatherings like this. My old man made me temporary head of the family business as he went on some business venture in Spain. As for now, I am just simply giving people money, expecting money to come back in greater quantities, and enjoying the social light once in awhile. By, madame, I must ask you a question now. How does it feel to be married to one of the most well-recognized elites in all of France? I have heard many great things of the Marquis d’Armentières. As the saying goes though, behind every great man is a great woman, so I must ask, how do you feel about all of it?” asked Descombes.

Amélie laughed at the question of the young banker. “Do not worry, my dear friend, all that you have heard can’t be true. Except that indeed, he does burn alive those who ventures to close to his most esteemed treasure, like a fire-breathing dragon”. She laughed, just as Eugénie put her finger of the Marquise’s shoulder, mimicking being burnt. “But on a most serious note, I must say that to be so lucky as to find real love has been the most delicious experience thus far.” She smiled again at his compliment. “My dear Monsieur Descombes, you are the most unashamed flatterer. You should very well know that behind every great men are the envious daggers of the have-naught.”

They continued talking for a while, until the Marquise, for politeness’ sake, had to converse with her other guests. Before the young banker left, she let him be appraised that he could visit her salon “a sa guise” from now on.

Last edited:
I'd like all candidates for the Presidency of the Chamber tonight so we can have a "meanwhile vote" during debate.

( Private - @ThaHoward )

Letter from the Marquise of Armentières to Deputy Lothaire Lécuyer

Monsieur Lécuyer,

Let me first congratulate you on your re-election as Deputy for the Seine. I must say that it is an encouraging perspective to know that our national debates will once more benefit from your insight and your leadership. It is my dearest hope that the true tenants of progress will be able to work together in strengthened harmony.

This letter also aims at thanking you for the most useful banquet which you organize before the end of the election. It is my hope that certain pieces of gossip, from our most intriguing dance, have not caused you distress.

In regards of the election of the President of the Chamber of Deputies, I would be quite interested to know if there was any possible way to secure your commitment toward the candidacy of Monsieur Royer-Collard, the deputy of the Marne, which I believe would bring much distinction to that particular function, as well as fortifying our liberal ideas while keeping the conservatives at bay by virtue of being a character of null controversy.

Kindest regards,

Amélie Constance Félicité de Bourbon d’Armentières

Last edited:
"Monsieur le Président,

"There sits among us a man of great intellect, oratory ability, and judgment. He is a man whom I believe God has endowed with many graces which will aid him in whichever task he is set to. That man, Monsieur Courvoisier, would serve as an excellent President of the Chamber, and in that capacity, I believe he would be level-headed, fair, and just. He is, without a doubt, a man capable of providing order to this Chamber during a time in which it is unusual divided, and for that reason ought to manifest himself as a symbol of compromise and cooperation among my fellow deputies.

"Merci."

Alexandre de Berstett,

Deputy for 4th Bas-Rhin.
Minister of the Interior

((Private to M. Duval @MadMartigan ))

My Dear Minister Duval

Many felicitations and congratulations upon your elevation. It is a rising well deserved and I have every confidence that you are the man for the job of lifting French commerce into the 19th Century.

However, I offer my commiserations for the necessity of working with some of your colleagues. Berstett slanders the Left and the Right in equal measure because he thinks no opinion matters except his own. He rather foolishly saw fit to attack my good name in Lyon during the recent elections. What self conceited idiot goes to the heart of Cote de Rhone and attacks the largest employer in front of his friends and business associates. Needless to say, his words were treated with considerable derision and contempt. Nevertheless, beware of his vitriol if he does not agree with your plans.

Of greater concern is St Aignan. Truly this man is a viper. Sadly, I have had direct experience of this Raguser's duplicity, as he undermined the Valence Cabinet and observed him scheme against Sully for his own personal reward. Expect no loyalty from this narcissist. He already thinks himself President with his commands to the Liberal ministers in the Chamber. He will be plotting against you as we speak. You must place no trust in him or give any credence to his false words of support.

On a more positive note, I am taking steps to advance the interests of Carbon Francais. With the change of the wind of government as evidenced by your appointment, I am finally proceeding with the cement works in Champagne. I also propose setting up steel works in Lille, but this is part of a larger project. I have quietly acquired land and will soon announce an exciting new project the likes of which have never before been seen in France. A Road of Iron! With the guidance of my brother, Nathan, I have had the opportunity to meet the inventors of the new steam locomotives and acquire engines for use. The demand for coal and iron will soar, and with it the French economy.

On a more immediate note, the ruin of the Sully government was that it only sought power, rather than use the power it gained. It was forever defensive and lacked initiative. As a Minister, you have been granted a rare opportunity to use power, and it must be used for the good of the Nation. If you will excuse the impertinence, I have taken the liberty of attaching some draft legislation which you may wish to consider as a demonstration of your Ministry as a force of action and enterprise.

The Law for the Governance of Commerce speaks for itself. The Ultras repeal of the Laws on the Bourse and Societe Anonyme were motivated by pure spite at my progressive taxes and as you will not be involved in the finance aspects of Government, there can be no objection now to their reintroduction. Our Treasury would also greatly benefit from the fees and taxes which this Law would restore.

The proposed Law for Establishment and Regulation of the Chemin de Fer will provide a framework for future development of the Iron Roads so that they serve France's industry, and her military. As you will note, I have provided for an annual licence fee which is a product of the profitability of the Iron Road. This will mean the Nation will enjoy the dividends of successful expansion of the Iron Road network over time, filling the public coffer, whilst also offering heavily discounted use of the network in times of national emergency, such as war. The Iron Roads will also have benefits in allowing us to move faster between cities, which will help us spread Liberalism across the nation and allow greater coordination during the elections.

Finally I have suggest an Amendment to the Law for the Standardisation of Succession. Whilst the original version was laudable, it was patently inadequate as experience over time has shown. Notwithstanding the prevalence of senior political figures enjoying the birth of sons, to the exclusion of daughters, this gender imbalance cannot be universal, otherwise these scions will struggle to find mates to procreate, unless they are produced out of thin air. To that end, the amendments firstly recognise the rights of the parent over the child, and recognises the rights of the child over the relatives outside the immediate family. Thus property is passed down within the familial line rather than diverted to outside to uncles, aunts or cousins of removed lineage.

I trust that you find these suggestions of assistance rather than hindrance, and I will do my best to promote out joint business interests whilst you are engaged in affairs of state. As your wife will be spending more time in Paris, my wife, Betty, has extended an open invitation for Shoshanna to visit the Rothschild salon whenever she wishes. Your son can play with my daughter, Charlotte, who is almost 3. Young Alphonse is barely a year old but may be a worthy comrade in the future. Your wife may appreciate some time amongst people of her own heritage.

I remain, my dear Minister, your obedient servant and friend,

Jacques de Rothschild

Chapter 1 Regulation of Societe Anonyme

1. Societe Anonyme (hereinafter referred to as SA) shall be incorporated pursuant to such regulations and rules as may be published by the Bourse upon which they seek to register. The Bourse shall maintain a Roll of SA registered with it, which record shall be assiduously maintained for any daily changes to the ownership or governance of the SA, which Roll shall be available for public inspection upon payment of a fee as prescribed by the Bourse. It shall be unlawful for persons to purport to trade under a SA if the entity is not registered with a Bourse.

2. SA shall constitute a legal person, with the right to sue and be sued, and to buy, sell and hold real and personal property, goods and chattels.

3. Each SA shall have a constitution specifying the number and classes of shares to be issued in the SA. Said shares must be available for trade on the Bourse without restriction.

4. The constitution of each SA must also specify the mode for appointment of a Board of Management of not less than 2 natural persons of majority age, who are responsible for the day to day governance of the SA. Each SA must have a Board of Management at all times, who will be vicariously responsible for the civil and criminal conduct of the SA, but excluding liability for its lawful debts.

5. Each SA will pay to the State an initial Registration Fee and an Annual Renewal Fee in an amount to be prescribed by Regulation from time to time.

6. Each SA will be liable to pay Corporate Tax in a percentage upon nett profits after expenses to be prescribed by the State in Regulation from time to time.

Chapter 2 Regulation of Trade in Shares, Bonds and Commodities

1.A Bourse shall be established in each of Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Lille, Marseille and Bourdeaux for the memberships of traders in commodities, shares in SA and private and public bonds who shall have exclusive right to engage in such trade (other than purchases or acquisition of goods for personal or business consumption).

2. The Bourse shall establish rules for the registration and regulation of members, who may be natural persons, partnerships or SA, who shall be entitled to trade in each Bourse.

3. Each member of the Bourse is required to maintain a trading account with daily reconciliation of trades and transfer of funds to accounts. Should a trader fail to honour a trade, the other members of the Bourse are required to honour the commitment on a pro rata basis with an entitlement to indemnity from the assets of the dishonourable trader.

4. Each Bourse shall maintain a Roll of SA which are registered at that Bourse, which Roll shall be maintained daily and made available for public inspection upon payment of a fee prescribed by the Bourse.

5. The Paris Bourse shall be appointed as the primary Bourse with the obligation for supervising the management and governance of the other Bourses. This includes but is not limited to prescribing the rules of conduct and governance expected of trader members.

6. The State shall levy Stamp Duty upon each sale conducted at a Bourse, the rate of which shall be prescribed by Regulation from time to time.

1. Repeal Paragraph I. and insert instead:

I. In all instances of non-specified succession, excluding those occurring within the Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin and Moselle, the order of sole inheritance of the wealth, property and belongings of the deceased shall be, in order of priority:
i) to the surviving spouse;
ii) if no surviving spouse, then to the eldest surviving legitimate son of the deceased;
iii) if son surviving son, then to the eldest surviving legitimate daughter of the deceased;
iv) if no surviving children, then to the eldest surviving sibling of the deceased;
v) if no surviving sibling, then to the oldest surviving relative by one degree of consanguinity with the deceased.

1. Title and ownership of a Chemin de Fer, including all engines and infrastructure, shall be held by a partnership of natural persons or by a single Societe Anonyme which shall be registered with the Ministry of Commerce and Industry or the Ministry's successor (the Ministry).
2. The owner of a Chemin de Fer shall be responsible for the construction, maintenance and upkeep of the Chemin de Fer from time to time and shall attend to any directions by the Ministry in respect of the state of the Chemin de Fer which may be issued from time to time.
3. The owner of a Chemin de Fer shall file a Return of Profit and pay an annual Licence fee to the Treasury in the amount 1% of the Profits after expenditures and tax for each year ended 31 December.
4. The Ministry may give a directive to the owner of a Chemin de Fer to commandeer the Chemin de Fer for use by the Government during time of national emergency.
5. During the period of the directive:
a) the Licence fee in paragraph 3 shall be suspended.
b) the owner of the Chemin de Fer shall supply the service of the Chemin de Fer at a rate of 50% of the lowest transit fee charged for bulk goods prior to the imposition of the directive.
c) The Ministry shall be responsible for the repair and maintenance of the Chemin de Fer and of any extensions or upgrades of the network during the period of the directive.
d) The owner the Chemin de Fer shall retain ownership of the network at all times and shall resume control of the Chemin de Fer.

( Private - @naxhi24 )

Letter from the Marquise of Armentières to Monsieur Alexandre Descombes

Monsieur Descombes,

It has been the greatest of pleasures to have you attend one of my latest salons. I can testify, from the many comment I have been made privy of, that you have successfully started your integration into the Parisian social life with high marks. While I do not doubt that in time, you shall become one of it's most dazzling master, with your storytelling prowess, I must confide in you that in Paris, power resides into the ability to connect persons with desires.

I take you for a man of great influence, and therefore, I would see it very kindly should you promote the candidacy of Monsieur Pierre-Paul Royer-Collard for the position of President of the Chamber of Deputies. Monsieur Royer is a noble soul and a very humble man, and therefore, I fear that he shall not campaign for his desire as hardly as a more ambitious man could. It falls on my shoulders, I am afraid, to further his candidacy.

Should you grant me this favor, which for a man of your perspective is but almost nothing, I would be forever your obligée.

Warmest regards,

Amélie Constance Félicité de Bourbon d'Armentières

Last edited:
Claude Artaud, having never spoken in front of the Chamber of Deputies for more than a few minutes, rises to confused whispers...

There seems to be recently some great commotion about finding a President of the Chamber. It is something which has seemed to consume this city recently, and, unfortunately for some, it appears to have consumed present affairs here. This, however, is understandable. I do not criticize anyone for being invested in who runs the government.

Of course, everyone in this Chamber would likely agree with these observations, for I do not think they to be in any way controversial. So why then do I appear before this Chamber? Why does a man who is noted somewhat for being anti-politics decided to thrust himself in the middle of a political problem? Well, by asking that question one begins to understand why I have chosen to speak today. It is precisely because I, like so many people of France, like so many subjects of His Most Christian Majesty, are uninterested in politics, are dissatisfied with politics, that I must stand before the Chamber and give voice to this distaste for politics.

Do not leap to any conclusions. I support His Majesty wholeheartedly, for I believe that the successes of His Majesty are also the successes of France. My dissatisfaction, the people's dissatisfaction, lie principally with politics. Or more importantly, the way in which politics are conducted. Far too often can it be seen that members of this Chamber have lost touch with their constituents. They have become too dedicated to interests which prove to run contrary with many of the French people. What are their, these detached politicians, principal interests? Power. It is power which the most corrupt them are obsessed with. And when they must make a decision between the good of the country and power, they will almost always choose the latter over the former.

It is this struggle for power which has turned people away from politics. It has made people lose faith in government. And I believe that if it is not addressed, then this Chamber will have far greater problems at hand than simply maintaining power. For politicians too far detached from the people over whom they govern will wake up one day to find that the people whom they once fought to be apathetic, to be inactive, will be surprised what they are capable of.

I tell the Chamber this not because I wish for instability and chaos. No, no. Do not be mistaken. I am not a Jacobin, for I detest Jacobins. I am not a Bonapartist either, for I detest Bonapartists. But I am a Frenchman, for I do not detest the French people. This is something which I unfortunately can not say of all the members of this Chamber.

Paris

Salons have become almost a third home to Alexandre, right behind his residence in Paris and the Chateau de Descombes in Doubs (in an ascending order). It was here that Alexandre gets most of the gossip and mingles with men of his social ranking, fellow Bourgeois members. The talk of the town though in this situation was who would become President of the Chamber of Deputies. It was a rather odd thing to be obsessed with, but in this hung Chamber, it seemed that position would define which party would come out of this situation the strongest. Alexandre was drinking, as always, hearing about these tales, bored about politics. He almost grew immune to the constant talk of politics. It was in this state that he found himself in a conversation among other Bourgeois members.

"Jean, who would you want to see as President of the Chamber of Deputies?"

"I dunno, there are so many choices. How about Durand?"

"No no no, he is going to be a Minister, cant take that job silly!"

"What about Henri Bourbon? Surely he has the influence to get that?"

"King hates him, he wont get close to the position without Charles having a hissy fit about it. I bet you Charles would dissolve the Deputies if there was even a possibility of Bourbon leading it!"

"What about Lecuyer? He would be the next best bet?"

"I see him more as a man who negotiates in backrooms, not as someone who is an outright leader."

"What about you Alexandre, you have been awfully quiet in this whole ordeal. Who do you think should lead the Chamber?"

Alexandre looked at his fellow Bourgeois members. "I think the best man for the job is Pierre-Paul Royer-Collard. The guy is well-known in the Chamber, is independent enough to ensure procedures go by smoothly in these partisan times, and can satisfy all aspects of the left with his appointment to the position. I just think he is the best pick."

The other members of the Bourgeois nodded, and the conversation switched from talking about the Chamber, to talking about Royer-Collard...

((Private to M. Duval @MadMartigan ))

My Dear Minister Duval

Many felicitations and congratulations upon your elevation. It is a rising well deserved and I have every confidence that you are the man for the job of lifting French commerce into the 19th Century.

However, I offer my commiserations for the necessity of working with some of your colleagues. Berstett slanders the Left and the Right in equal measure because he thinks no opinion matters except his own. He rather foolishly saw fit to attack my good name in Lyon during the recent elections. What self conceited idiot goes to the heart of Cote de Rhone and attacks the largest employer in front of his friends and business associates. Needless to say, his words were treated with considerable derision and contempt. Nevertheless, beware of his vitriol if he does not agree with your plans.

Of greater concern is St Aignan. Truly this man is a viper. Sadly, I have had direct experience of this Raguser's duplicity, as he undermined the Valence Cabinet and observed him scheme against Sully for his own personal reward. Expect no loyalty from this narcissist. He already thinks himself President with his commands to the Liberal ministers in the Chamber. He will be plotting against you as we speak. You must place no trust in him or give any credence to his false words of support.

On a more positive note, I am taking steps to advance the interests of Carbon Francais. With the change of the wind of government as evidenced by your appointment, I am finally proceeding with the cement works in Champagne. I also propose setting up steel works in Lille, but this is part of a larger project. I have quietly acquired land and will soon announce an exciting new project the likes of which have never before been seen in France. A Road of Iron! With the guidance of my brother, Nathan, I have had the opportunity to meet the inventors of the new steam locomotives and acquire engines for use. The demand for coal and iron will soar, and with it the French economy.

On a more immediate note, the ruin of the Sully government was that it only sought power, rather than use the power it gained. It was forever defensive and lacked initiative. As a Minister, you have been granted a rare opportunity to use power, and it must be used for the good of the Nation. If you will excuse the impertinence, I have taken the liberty of attaching some draft legislation which you may wish to consider as a demonstration of your Ministry as a force of action and enterprise.

The Law for the Governance of Commerce speaks for itself. The Ultras repeal of the Laws on the Bourse and Societe Anonyme were motivated by pure spite at my progressive taxes and as you will not be involved in the finance aspects of Government, there can be no objection now to their reintroduction. Our Treasury would also greatly benefit from the fees and taxes which this Law would restore.

The proposed Law for Establishment and Regulation of the Chemin de Fer will provide a framework for future development of the Iron Roads so that they serve France's industry, and her military. As you will note, I have provided for an annual licence fee which is a product of the profitability of the Iron Road. This will mean the Nation will enjoy the dividends of successful expansion of the Iron Road network over time, filling the public coffer, whilst also offering heavily discounted use of the network in times of national emergency, such as war. The Iron Roads will also have benefits in allowing us to move faster between cities, which will help us spread Liberalism across the nation and allow greater coordination during the elections.

Finally I have suggest an Amendment to the Law for the Standardisation of Succession. Whilst the original version was laudable, it was patently inadequate as experience over time has shown. Notwithstanding the prevalence of senior political figures enjoying the birth of sons, to the exclusion of daughters, this gender imbalance cannot be universal, otherwise these scions will struggle to find mates to procreate, unless they are produced out of thin air. To that end, the amendments firstly recognise the rights of the parent over the child, and recognises the rights of the child over the relatives outside the immediate family. Thus property is passed down within the familial line rather than diverted to outside to uncles, aunts or cousins of removed lineage.

I trust that you find these suggestions of assistance rather than hindrance, and I will do my best to promote out joint business interests whilst you are engaged in affairs of state. As your wife will be spending more time in Paris, my wife, Betty, has extended an open invitation for Shoshanna to visit the Rothschild salon whenever she wishes. Your son can play with my daughter, Charlotte, who is almost 3. Young Alphonse is barely a year old but may be a worthy comrade in the future. Your wife may appreciate some time amongst people of her own heritage.

I remain, my dear Minister, your obedient servant and friend,

Jacques de Rothschild

Chapter 1 Regulation of Societe Anonyme

1. Societe Anonyme (hereinafter referred to as SA) shall be incorporated pursuant to such regulations and rules as may be published by the Bourse upon which they seek to register. The Bourse shall maintain a Roll of SA registered with it, which record shall be assiduously maintained for any daily changes to the ownership or governance of the SA, which Roll shall be available for public inspection upon payment of a fee as prescribed by the Bourse. It shall be unlawful for persons to purport to trade under a SA if the entity is not registered with a Bourse.

2. SA shall constitute a legal person, with the right to sue and be sued, and to buy, sell and hold real and personal property, goods and chattels.

3. Each SA shall have a constitution specifying the number and classes of shares to be issued in the SA. Said shares must be available for trade on the Bourse without restriction.

4. The constitution of each SA must also specify the mode for appointment of a Board of Management of not less than 2 natural persons of majority age, who are responsible for the day to day governance of the SA. Each SA must have a Board of Management at all times, who will be vicariously responsible for the civil and criminal conduct of the SA, but excluding liability for its lawful debts.

5. Each SA will pay to the State an initial Registration Fee and an Annual Renewal Fee in an amount to be prescribed by Regulation from time to time.

6. Each SA will be liable to pay Corporate Tax in a percentage upon nett profits after expenses to be prescribed by the State in Regulation from time to time.

Chapter 2 Regulation of Trade in Shares, Bonds and Commodities

1.A Bourse shall be established in each of Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Lille, Marseille and Bourdeaux for the memberships of traders in commodities, shares in SA and private and public bonds who shall have exclusive right to engage in such trade (other than purchases or acquisition of goods for personal or business consumption).

2. The Bourse shall establish rules for the registration and regulation of members, who may be natural persons, partnerships or SA, who shall be entitled to trade in each Bourse.

3. Each member of the Bourse is required to maintain a trading account with daily reconciliation of trades and transfer of funds to accounts. Should a trader fail to honour a trade, the other members of the Bourse are required to honour the commitment on a pro rata basis with an entitlement to indemnity from the assets of the dishonourable trader.

4. Each Bourse shall maintain a Roll of SA which are registered at that Bourse, which Roll shall be maintained daily and made available for public inspection upon payment of a fee prescribed by the Bourse.

5. The Paris Bourse shall be appointed as the primary Bourse with the obligation for supervising the management and governance of the other Bourses. This includes but is not limited to prescribing the rules of conduct and governance expected of trader members.

6. The State shall levy Stamp Duty upon each sale conducted at a Bourse, the rate of which shall be prescribed by Regulation from time to time.

1. Repeal Paragraph I. and insert instead:

I. In all instances of non-specified succession, excluding those occurring within the Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin and Moselle, the order of sole inheritance of the wealth, property and belongings of the deceased shall be, in order of priority:
i) to the surviving spouse;
ii) if no surviving spouse, then to the eldest surviving legitimate son of the deceased;
iii) if son surviving son, then to the eldest surviving legitimate daughter of the deceased;
iv) if no surviving children, then to the eldest surviving sibling of the deceased;
v) if no surviving sibling, then to the oldest surviving relative by one degree of consanguinity with the deceased.

1. Title and ownership of a Chemin de Fer, including all engines and infrastructure, shall be held by a partnership of natural persons or by a single Societe Anonyme which shall be registered with the Ministry of Commerce and Industry or the Ministry's successor (the Ministry).
2. The owner of a Chemin de Fer shall be responsible for the construction, maintenance and upkeep of the Chemin de Fer from time to time and shall attend to any directions by the Ministry in respect of the state of the Chemin de Fer which may be issued from time to time.
3. The owner of a Chemin de Fer shall file a Return of Profit and pay an annual Licence fee to the Treasury in the amount 1% of the Profits after expenditures and tax for each year ended 31 December.
4. The Ministry may give a directive to the owner of a Chemin de Fer to commandeer the Chemin de Fer for use by the Government during time of national emergency.
5. During the period of the directive:
a) the Licence fee in paragraph 3 shall be suspended.
b) the owner of the Chemin de Fer shall supply the service of the Chemin de Fer at a rate of 50% of the lowest transit fee charged for bulk goods prior to the imposition of the directive.
c) The Ministry shall be responsible for the repair and maintenance of the Chemin de Fer and of any extensions or upgrades of the network during the period of the directive.
d) The owner the Chemin de Fer shall retain ownership of the network at all times and shall resume control of the Chemin de Fer.

((private))

My dear colleague,

It is so wonderful to hear from you. While I am in government I must distance myself from the affairs of my bank and of Charbon Francaise, and in the latter case I am gladdened to know that you are a steady hand at the helm. I wish I could give you more hopeful news about your legislative proposals, but I'm afraid if I bring them before the rest of the Council they will be rejected by Berstett and the other conservatives. But if you propose them to the Marquis Armentiers and the Chartists in the Chamber, I am sure they will be highly interested in them.

I shall have to take you up on your invitation. Shoshanna has wanted to meet your wife and our little Reuben is five years old. You are right about the point of heritage, I do think it would do young Reuben good to grow up around more adherents to the faith of his maternal forefathers.

With fond wishes for more discussions soon,
your business partner in exile into the wilds of government

micpin_done.png

((Private @Dadarian ))

Le Grand-Maître des Hommes d'Artois,

I write to you in great admiration of the work of your society. As a man of the provinces I know that the most loyal and royalist men in France are often not those nobles who sit idly in palaces but the common man of the provinces who works the land and loves God and the Church. In the interests of creating a network of royalism that extends far beyond the aristocratic halls I wish to coordinate actions between the Order of Saint Michael the Archangel, the order of royalist soldiers, and Les Hommes d'Artois. Truly, together I believe we may bring about a more effective resistance to the poison of the Enlightenment and the spread of treason throughout our beloved and holy France. I await your response eagerly. May God protect you and grant the faithful victory in all things.

Le Grand-Maître de L'Ordre de Saint Michel l'Archange

Chamber of Deputies, nomimation of Chamber President.

Esteemed colleagues,

First, let me commend Our Most Christian King's opening speech, we're all eager to debate and legaslate in his name

The past time the ones who many call Orléanists have discussed the matter of the Presidency of the Chamber. We arrived to the same conclusion as the esteemed Marquess of Armentières. We nominate Pierre Paul Royer-Collard.

Considering his support to the emigres and the restoration. Considering his pivotal role as a moving figure within the Doctrinaires. Considering he's an experienced Deputy and statesman, with Centrist values uniting both sides of the Chamber. Considering he have the support of moderate Chartists here in the Chamber and Royalists in the media.

Deputy Royer-Collard we know is a man who are most capable and willing to lead and unite this hung Chamber. A man of great convictions and morals, who have beliefs both sides share. Let us unite under a moderate President so that we may follow through on the real issues of the day and advise His Most Christian King in these precarious times.

Thank you that would be all.

The Great Festivities.

food-and-beverages-tea-tea-party-paris-19th-century-turn-of-the-18th-acw32h.jpg

Following the wishes of the Duke of Orleans Lothaire planned to hold several banquets, balls, charity events and other festivities. The purpose were to gain a major presence among the social circles in Paris and drift the intellectual, political and financial elite toward Orléanism.

Lothaire believed it was a sound strategy. To move away from aggressive media politics, to more social and pleasant politics. And in turn several editors, commentators and journalists would be invited to influence their views. The rapid climb of the Marquise and Marquess had been observed and the conclusion was their active social presence.

However Lothaire knew he could not hold a banquet of his own every month. He was rich indeed, but even he could become bankrupted. First of all it would be a great hinderence for his daily life, but to be bankrupted because of an excessive lifestyle would be most emberassing for a man of his position. His political opponents and the media would surely take advantage of that and use it to not only discredit himself and the Orléans - but Duc d'Orléans himself.

Per instruction Lothaire would seek out Laffitte, who still was his topchoice for President of the Chamber, to create a commitee for festivals. The plan was to host an event every month. Each had different themes and guests. The commitees would be filled by various men of talents who were believed to be prospective Orléanists or allies. Various Orléanists and sympathisers were encouraged to donate to this committee.

In february it would be held one in honor for the 100.000 Sons of Louis. The guest of honor would be the Dauphin (if he would join remained to be seen). The generals and central senior officers during the campaign were also invited.

The rest of the year would be as follow:

March - event to raise money and awarnesd for rural communities. Prominent landowners were invited and then encouraged to visit the Duke.

April - 14th anniversary for the First Restoration, guests of honor are to include prominent men who were instrumental.

May - celebration of the treaty of Paris.

June - celebration of the Charter. Several Chartists invited.

July - raising money for the Carprenters Guild. Guests of honor were Guizot and the Marquise of Armentières.

August - industrial showcase. British industrialists and innovaters were invited to showcase their machines and ideas. Also invited central French industrialists and politicans. Guest of honor Minister Duval.

September - a banquet in honor of French litterature and arts. Donations encouraged to various artists and art schools. Many of the central artists and wtiters were invited.

October - another banquet to raise money for the Greek freedom fighters. Guests of honor: Durand, Lamarque and heroes of the Franco-Hellenistic Brigade.

November - a banquet similar to the one of 1827. All Chartist and Orléanist Deputies and Peers invited. Guests of honor were to be the leaders of both factions. (The Duke, Laffitte, Durand and Henri-Bourbon).

December - a Christmas feast, with donations raised for the poor and homeless.

In the Saint-Aignan mansion ((Private))

"The King has asked me to do it." - the Duc de Saint-Aignan promptly said, after the servant brought him his portion of lamb ragout with prunes. The children were today elsewhere (Charles reading in the grand library and Hippolyte fencing) and, therefore, he and his wife could talk discreetly.

"But why you? Does not he have a new Minister of Justice?"- Anne asked, frowning. As she got older, she started to care more and more about her figure. Therefore, today she limited her all dinner to a salad and some fruit.

" The fat Portales? He does not trust him." - the Duc de Saint-Aignan snorted, while taking a glass of red burgundy wine. Taking a sip, he smacked him lips with delight – the drink was odorous and a bit bitter, just how he liked it. "It just proves that this Ministry would be thrown out at the first appropriate moment."

"Anyhow, dear, I don’t think you should participate in the inheritance affair. The Prince of Condé is a powerful man and you would not want to quarrel with him. The royalists need him, right?" - the Duchess de Saint-Aignan looked at her husband thoughtfully. Her frown become even larger.

"Yes, he is a major backer of the royalists. And a man I respect. And I am not going to "participate" in that. However, if the King seeks my legal expertise I have to give it, right? I would simply state what the laws says on the matter." - the Duc de Saint-Aignan сut off a bit of the roasted meat, dipped it into the spicy sauce and then put it into his mouth. Chewing it, he concluded: "One does not refuse the King, when he asks for your service. But I would advise him not to pester the old man until he is dead."

"And after he is dead?" - the Duchess asked ironically, while examining the last olive on her plate cautiously, After a moment of consideration, she decided not to eat it, and wiped her well-shaped lips with a napkin instead.

"You cannot pester a dead person, do you? Of course, if you do not believe in vengeful spirits," - the Duc de Saint-Aignan answered, Picking a loaf of freshly-baked bread, he bit into it with appetite. Their baker was truly a master of his art. For example his cakes, often having the form of Saracen towers, kissing swans and majestic ships, were known to all Paris. But the Duc de Saint-Aignan, ever the practical man, put their taste above their beauty.

"What the King is intending to do?" - the Duchess de Saint-Aignan was looking at her husband with clear curiousity,

"As I understand, nothing at the moment. I was ensured that any study on the matter is solely for his desk." - shrugged the Duc de Saint-Aignan.

"It seems that everybody wants the Condé money. Poor Henri and Amelie, what of their сhildren?" - Anne sighed and shook her head. As she did that, large earrings of pink gold and sapphires clinked in her lobes.

"This "poor Henri" is already a Marquess, a Deputy, a General and a former Minister. And he is married to a rich heiress, I might add. For an illegitimate son of an opera singer he is quite a social climber, is he not?" - the Duc de Saint-Aignan noted, and then took a small silver bell, in order to ring for the servants. "My dear, with all due respect to your diet, I would ask to bring dessert."

TO CHARLES X, the KING OF FRANCE AND NAVARRE ((@99KingHigh – Private))​

ON THE RIGHT OF THE INHERITANCE OF THE NATURAL CHILDREN: A LEGAL OPINION​

Your Most Christian Majesty,

Upon your bidding, I send you the following summory on the regulation, under the applicable French laws, of the succession of the natural children (otherwise. known as "bastards") relatively to the case of the inheritance of the Prince of Condé.

In accordance with Article 756 of Section I of the Chapter IV of the French Civil Code ("OF IRREGULAR SUCCESSIONS"), natural children are not heirs; the law does not grant to such any rights over the property of their father or mother deceased, except when they have been legally recognized. It does not grant to them any right over the property of relations of their father or mother.

The Chapter III of the French Civil Code ("ON THE NATURAL CHILDREN") sets the procedure regarding the legal recognition of the natural children. There are two methods of such recognition that lead to different legal consequences regarding the succession.

Under Article 331 of the Section I of the Chapter III of French Civil Code, children born out of wedlock, other than such as are the fruit of an incestuous or adulterous intercourse, may be legitimated by the subsequent marriage of their father and mother, whenever the latter shall have legally acknowledged them before their marriage, or shall have recognized them in the act itself of celebration. Such children shall enjoy the same rights as if they were born in wedlock.

The other method of legitimation is stated the Section II of the said Chapter. Under Article 334 of the French Civil Code, the acknowledgment of a natural child shall be made by an authentic act, whenever it shall not have been done in its act of birth. Then, under article 338 of the French Civil Code, while these children cannot claim the rights of legitimate children, they are to possess special rights to succession under the Section I of the Chapter IV of the French Civil Code. However, under Article 335 of the French Civil Code, this acknowledgment shall not take place for the benefit of children born of an incestuous or adulterous intercourse.

Under Article 908 of the Chapter I of the Book the Third of the French Civil Code ("OF DONATIONS DURING LIFE AND OF WILLS"), natural children shall not be permitted, by donation during life or by will, to receive anything beyond what is accorded to them under the title "Of Successions."

Therefore:

As it is known to us, Louis Henri Joseph de Bourbon, Prince of Condé, has been, since 1770 until 1817 (when the matrimony has ended due to the death of the spouse), married to Princess Bathilde d'Orléans. While the husband and wife have been living separately since 1780, their marriage has never been annulled and a divorce has not been demanded, either in accordance with the canon laws or the provisions of French Сivil Code. Therefore, before the Church and the Crown, they remained a husband and wife.

Therefore, all liasons that the Prince of Condé entered into since 1770 until 1817 were in breach of the oath of fidelity to his spouse and are to be, therefore, considered adulterous. Сertain natural children of the Prince of Condé are born after 1770 and before 1817, and, therefore, are a "fruit of an adulterous intercourse" (Article 331 of the French Civil Code), Under the provisions of the French Сivil Code as stated above, such children cannot be neither legitimized nor acknowledged and cannot be heirs either by law or by testament. Should no legal direct male heir of the Prince of Condé exist upon his death and should his will and testament be found faulty due to the reasons as stated above, under the Law on the Standardization of Succession his whole estate, property and belongings would pass to a closest Catholic male relative.

Should the Prince of Condé have any natural children after the date of the death of his spouse 1817, the legal instruments of legalization or acknowledgement of such children and, therefore, making them heirs to his assets would be quite accessible to him. We in fact know of one that may be such child, Philippe, who is born in 1817. If he is born after the death of Princess Bathilde and should he be legitimized through the marriage of the Prince of Conde to his mother, he would be considered a lawfuly-born child. However, if he is simply acknowledged, he would be be able to inherit under Chapter IV of the French Civil Code ("OF IRREGULAR SUCCESSIONS"). Under the Article 757, the acknowledged natural child, If the father or mother has left none lawful descendants (which is the case of Prince of Condé), and when the father or mother does not leave either descendants or ancestors, either brothers or sisters (which is also the case of the Prince of Condé, has the right to have to three fourth of the portion he would had if he was a legitimate child. These three fourth of the portion cannot be exceeded even by will.

If he was born before the death of Princess Bathilde, he, similar to the previous children, has no rights to the inheritance.

However, if I should add my opinion on the whole affair, knowing that the Prince of Condé has rendered good services to the Throne and has greatly assisted the royalist movement through this years and that he loves his children dearly, it may be politically imprudent to raise the matters of succession until the esteemed prince of the blood leaves this world. It may be even better. for the sake of the tranquility within the Royal House of Bourbon, to guarantee, upon the death of the Prince of Condé that his younger son Philippe is not left within means to existence and rank as found appropriate by Your Most Christian Majesty.

I remain you most loyal servant,
SAINT-AIGNAN

Last edited:
( Private - @ThaHoward )

Letter from the Marquise of Armentières to Deputy Lothaire Lécuyer

Monsieur Lécuyer,

Let me first congratulate you on your re-election as Deputy for the Seine. I must say that it is an encouraging perspective to know that our national debates will once more benefit from your insight and your leadership. It is my dearest hope that the true tenants of progress will be able to work together in strengthened harmony.

This letter also aims at thanking you for the most useful banquet which you organize before the end of the election. It is my hope that certain pieces of gossip, from our most intriguing dance, have not caused you distress.

In regards of the election of the President of the Chamber of Deputies, I would be quite interested to know if there was any possible way to secure your commitment toward the candidacy of Monsieur Royer-Collard, the deputy of the Marne, which I believe would bring much distinction to that particular function, as well as fortifying our liberal ideas while keeping the conservatives at bay by virtue of being a character of null controversy.

Kindest regards,

Amélie Constance Félicité de Bourbon d’Armentières

((Private)).

Marquise,

My gratitudes for your appraisal. I congratulate you and your husband. I suspect you hade a finger or two securing his election. A well deserved, and needed, one I might add. I also congratulate you for having safely labored a strong son. Let us hope his strength will be equal to his parents.

In regards to the President of the Chamber, named President from now, I agree upon what you've said. However I need to confine to you that the Orléanists and I were in the midst of discussing who the President should be. We were under the impression that the Chartists and Orléanists were to nominate a common candidate. But your husband nominated one without consulting us, yet we have nominated him in the name of harmony and cooperation. However I agree upon your assessment of our nominated President.

I thank you for enjoying our banquet. I've heard appraisals of your own social gatherings. I hope my wife and those of the Orléanists are welcomed, perhaps you would consider inviting the sister of the Duke?

I also appriciate your concern about the rumors. Likewise if the rumors indeed were true I hope it haven't caused you any distress. Laffitte and I am also to host a festivity in honor to the carprenters. Seeing you and Guizot a patron of carpentry you're both welcomed as guests of honor. Let it for the record be known there will be no scouting parties down south this year around.

Warm regards,
Deputy Lothaire Lécuyer.

((Private letter to @Davout ))

M.Rotschild,

Unfortunately you were not given a ministry. However I write you as the Orléanists wish to improve and modernise the economy. I humbly request for you to share needed reforms with us, then we will look into them and present it for the Chambers.

I hope you will consider this request.

Regards,
Deputy Lothaire Lécuyer.

micpin_done.png

((Private @Dadarian ))

Le Grand-Maître des Hommes d'Artois,

I write to you in great admiration of the work of your society. As a man of the provinces I know that the most loyal and royalist men in France are often not those nobles who sit idly in palaces but the common man of the provinces who works the land and loves God and the Church. In the interests of creating a network of royalism that extends far beyond the aristocratic halls I wish to coordinate actions between the Order of Saint Michael the Archangel, the order of royalist soldiers, and Les Hommes d'Artois. Truly, together I believe we may bring about a more effective resistance to the poison of the Enlightenment and the spread of treason throughout our beloved and holy France. I await your response eagerly. May God protect you and grant the faithful victory in all things.

Le Grand-Maître de L'Ordre de Saint Michel l'Archange

XHZ4Ts0.png

An Alliance?
Le Grand-Maître de L'Ordre de Saint Michel l'Archange,

You speak multiple truths, the aristocrats are often far too embroiled within their own petty feuds to serve the King, unlike the masses of Frenchmen in His Majesty's service. I think that a meeting between ourselves, and a result a cooperation between this Society and that Order may produce a potent and powerful organ in dedication to the King and common royalism.

Le Grand-Maître des Hommes d'Artois