• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
4eQ3kJT.png

Name: Guillaume Armand Marie Emmanuel de Chalançon et de Polignac, Prince de Polignac

Law on the Amendment of the Law of Repression of Crimes and Offenses committed by the Press: Oui
Law on the Amendment of the Penal Code: Oui
Law on the Infrastructure: Oui
Law on the Gendarmerie: Oui

Party: Ultraroyalist

[Peer of France]
[+3.5 PP]

VhwirFs.png

Colonel Henri Bourbon, having received his relief, returns to France on a fast mail-coach.

Name: Henri Jules de Bourbon

Law on the Amendment of the Law of Repression of Crimes and Offenses committed by the Press: No
Law on the Amendment of the Penal Code: No

[Doctrinaire]
[Colonel, Army IV]
[Famous Bastard: +1.5 PP]

Last edited:
Name: Nathanaël Barrande, Comte de L'Isle Jourdain

Law on the Amendment of the Law of Repression of Crimes and Offenses committed by the Press: No

[Unaffiliated]
[Colonel, Peer]
["I married Condé's mistress and now am super rich": +1 PP]

Near Girona

Bon-Adrien Jeannot de Moncey sat in his command tent, recieving a report. "San Sebastián besieged, but no one at a direct route to Madrid? That is problematic." He muttered to himself analyzing a map of Spain, "But to get en route to Madrid, it would be unwise to go through areas controlled by the illegitimate Spanish government. Therefore I have to march back over the Pyrenees, through the gates to Spain and then onwards to Burgos and Vallodolid. Surely the prince du Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Bartenstein can enforce his will in Catalonia." He realized that going to Madrid would be contradiction of his orders given by the Ministry of war, but surely they would understand the need for pacifying Madrd as fast as possible. He walked outside, mounted his horse, and said to his courier: "Go to Prince du Hohenlohe, and tell him I'll be leaving for Madrid, and wish him good luck in his future battles." Bon-Adriend had ordered his men to move out at once, and he had also sent a courier to Paris to inform the Ministry of War.

Memo to the officers of III corps:
Remember to use scouts to give us reports of enemy movement and the terrain.

BATTLE OF SIGÜENVZA (I)

Moncey's unilateral decision to leave the motion towards Barcelona under the command of Hohenlohe-Waldenburg-Bartenstein was a maneuver in disobedience with Paris' orders. But the duc d'Angoulême was concerned that the Constitutionnels would in a short-time be able to launch a counter-offensive from Castille; the regal prince therefore agreed with Moncey that the III Corps should press onto Madrid and deny the prolongation of the king's captivity. But unable to press from Catalonia, the III Corps decided to transfer the fatigued royalist Ejército de la Fe under Francisco Ramón de Eguía y López de Letona, conde del Real Aprecio with auxiliary status to Marshal Louis Aloÿs de Hohenlohe-Waldenbourg-Bartenstein. Moncey and Angoulême thereafter retreated from Catalonia and recrossed the Pyrenees in order to use the pathway between the mountain crossing and San Sebastián as a pathway to Madrid.

0ECJI9l.jpg

Moncey and Angoulême marched through Viltora in early July and proceeded towards Caiatayud by mid-July with little resistance from the local population. After the seizure and capture of Caiatayud and Zaragoza on 29/30 July 1823, the two generals proceeded to march towards the Mexican capital. General Rafael del Riego swore to the Madrid government that he would score a decisive victory and took his Corps to resist the uncontested French army about ninety miles of Madrid. In Angoulême's mind, the battle would assuredly be the decisive engagement of the war, and prepared to match Riego's confidence with his own divine premonitions of victory...

sORmynE.jpg

The Espagnols libéraux advanced too swiftly, and found themselves unintentionally in marching range of the French Army at the small town of Sigüenza on August 2nd. The sweltering summer heat dampened the spirits of the French army, but Moncey and Angoulême were determined for victory, so the III Corps was ordered to proceed on opposite banks of the shallow Rio Henares. Angoulême brought four brigades on opposite sides of the wheat fields, while Moncey approached the royal highway that stretched just a few meters south-east of the convergent bank of the Rio Henares. Riego, for his own purposes, had no intention to remain bottled up behind the town, mostly on account of its small size and limited cover, and was determined to draw his own battle to shake the invasion army.

JKoSNsC.png

every box represents one brigade

Last edited:
A Law on the Amendment of the Law of Repression of Crimes and Offenses committed by the Press: Non
Law on the Amendment of the Penal Code: Non
Law on the Infrastructure: Non
Law on the Gendarmerie: Non

[Liberal]
[Deputy]
[A vigorous defender of the liberal movement in France, +1 PP]
-Jean Lamarque

Last edited:
Name: Victor Durand

Law on the Amendment of the Penal Code: No

[Doctrinaire]
[Deputy]
[Redeemed Reformer: +2 PP]

Last edited:
A Law on the Amendment of the Law of Repression of Crimes and Offenses committed by the Press: Oui
Law on the Infrastructure Spoiler: Oui

[Ultraroyalist]
[Peer of France, Maréchal d'France, Duc de Conigliano, Baron de Conigliano, Commander of the III army]
[None]

~ Bon-Adrien Jeannot de Moncey

[Schedule]

Voting closes tomorrow at 10 AM EST. Domestic update follows.

Spanish stuff finishes Saturday evening/Sunday morning.

[One more cycle of short updates and then a traditional "long" update (aprox 2-3 years).]

- @Shynka -​

His Highness the Prince of Condé accepts the settlement. He also wishes to state that the public retraction of the article and the official apology will be enough to happily content him. His Highness’ wish was that his reputation remained intact, not that his wallet was filled and as such the 3000 Francs will not be required.

mBGd3QL.png

A Law on the Amendment of the Law of Repression of Crimes and Offenses committed by the Press: Non, non, non!
[Saint-Germain]
[Lieutenant, Lying rag peddler]
[+1 mana]

((Also to clarify; the Petit Journal is not solely sold in Paris, but in all cities where the Seine Bank has a presence. The Paris issue is simply the one most focused on politics.))

((Address to the Chamber of Deputies))

Lately in this Chamber, I railed against the Minister of Finance for his silence, for his gross neglect in publishing a Budget for the last 2 years. I regret such remarks. I now acknowledge that his silence would have been infinitely preferable to the blatant fraud which he has sought to inflict upon the King and France.

I admit that during my time as Minister of Finance I earned the enmity of all sides of the Chamber, a somewhat unique achievement. However, I was honest and unflinching in my appraisal of France's financial position. I offered unpleasant medicine which cured the patient. I did not play false or deceive.

The Budget presently before seeks to conceal to please. It denies the problem and therefore magnifies the dilemna. Do we admit the state of our financial situation or pretend to be richer than we are, to deny the need to rebuild our treasury after the devastation of Napoleon's wars, to return the bad old days of Baron Necker and publish fantasies dressed up as Books of Account?

The Budget seeks to paint a picture of health with a 49 Million Franc surplus. It is quite simply and frankly a tissue of lies.

In order to achieve this result, it has cut expenditure on our Army of 55%. The allocation for Military, on the eve of war, is 210 Million Francs less than our expenditure in 1821 in a time of peace. Our Army is not 55% smaller. The soldiers do not eat 55% less food, the horses do not eat 55% less hay, the men can not shoot 55% less bullets, nor can the cannons use 55% less powder. All this penny pinching as we send Armies across the Pyrenees, where it was the countryside, and not enemy armies which wore down Bonaparte's troops.

How can we fight a war with less than half the money we needed to keep peace? This is a most criminal act and the Minister must be called to account before this chamber and flayed alive for such betrayal of our brave troops.

But sadly, this tale of deceit worsens the more we read, or rather do not read, in the Budget. There has been no allowance whatsoever for the 500 Million Franc allocation for the Law of Rectification of Property. There has been no allocation of the stipend paid by the State to members of the Clergy and the additional payments for the Law for Education. The receipts trumpet the removal of the Inheritance Tax, which occurred in any event given its 2 year limitation, but conceals that it has maintained the Loyalty Levy which was intended to also be limited for 2 years. The Receipts have also failed to disclose the loss of Stamp Duty income from the repeal of the Law for the Recognition of the Bourse and the loss of license fees from the Repeal of Printing private Specie. There has been a deliberate concealment of our expenditures and earnings to present a false picture of the state of the treasury. That is nothing less than Fraud. The Minister must be held accountable and it must happen immediately.

I therefore renew my call for a vote of No Confidence in the Minister for Finance!

Turning to the bills before this Chamber, I will vote in favour of the Infrastructure Development Bill but only as a entry point for future expansion. The present drafting shows a complete lack of commerciality. The allowance of only 250,000 Francs for incentives for private development reveals a total failure to appreciate the costs of construction and maintenance of highways. It is laudable that the Minister in question seeks to encourage such works. It is truly in the spirit of Baron Turgot. However, Turgotian economics also notes that reward must match risk, that the incentive by the State must be repaid, and that there must be a mechanism for evolution. These are entirely lacking in this legislation. There is no balancing of costs and returns. There is no provision for the duration of entitlements to payments to owners or repayment of incentives to the State. There is no mechanism for supervision or revision. It is all in all a fascinating artifact of the nobility imagining what commerce is like and nothing like the reality of the world of supply and demand.

The Law on the Voluntary Gendarme must be opposed. On its face, it is nothing more than the forming of a private militia for the Ministry, the gathering of bully boys and ne'er do wells bought off for 4 Francs to do 1 day a week for the personal bidding of the Minister. This income is 5 times the weekly income of a labourer. Instead of encouraging work in the factory, producing goods for sale, and increasing the wealth of the Nation, this Bill would encumber the Budget with 4 francs per week for 10,000 men to live off the public purse for total cost of 2 Million Francs per annum, so that the Minister can deliver rough justice to his opponents.

The proposed Bill for the amendment of the Penal Code has some laudable revisions but also some deplorably sloppy drafting. In particular Article V Section 87 is proposed to be amended in a such vague and broad terms as to cause offence to all and offer protection to none. The proposed amendments seek to elevate Ministers of State to the status of the King. Such hubris is breathtaking in its audacity. And then it extends this aura to the lowliest public servant. By all means, offer protection to Ministers of the State and our bureaucrats but do not elevate them to become petty kings over us.

The section then seeks to impose death on those who destroy "certain classes of society" but does not defines "classes" or say which classes. Would not Robespierre say that the Nobility was seeking to destroy the working class? Did Danton not use this as an excuse for the Terror? Is the Minister seeking to call death upon each of us with a new Terror? This amendment cannot stand.

The amendments then ridiculously call for death for any who advocate regicide or revolution against any lawful monarch, whether in France or abroad, in the past, present or future, without limitation or exception. Whilst the evil speech by a certain notorious former member recently given is well known, this proposed amendment uses a cannon to kill a mouse. On its interpretation the most farcical results are achieved. Are we to put to death anyone who publishes the Histories of Livy because they praise Brutus overthrowing proud Tarquin? Or anyone who publishes Shakespeare's plays about the English War of the Roses? Or any historian who discusses Pepin deposing Childeric? Shall we cause offence to the British Royalty who deposed the Stuarts? Or to the Russian Tzar because the Romanovs deposed the Grand Duke of Muscovy so many centuries ago? This must not stand or we will be regarded as a laughing stock amongst the civilized world.

Finally, the proposed changes to Article VII Sections 201 and 204 are laughable for the vagueness. What is meant by "stir up"? How many people does it take to form a "part of the citizens"? Shall a brother gathering the support of his neighbours in his quarrel with his sibling's family fall foul of this law? Shall the State stick its fingers into every petty argument and dispute? Surely these words should be deleted and the sections retain their intended remedy of outlawing public unrest.

A Law on the Amendment of the Law of Repression of Crimes and Offenses committed by the Press: Non
Law on the Amendment of the Penal Code: Non
Law on the Infrastructure : Oui
Law on the Gendarmerie: Non

[Liberal]
[Financier/industrialist]
[Bonus: Liberal Id +1.5PP]

Last edited:
(De Rothschild looks over at the Deputy of the Seine in surprise following de Berstett's ranting.

"I didn't know Durant was Jewish too. I must invite him over next Sabbath.")

Last edited:
(De Rothschild looks over at the Deputy of the Seine in surprise following de Berstett's ranting.

"I didn't know Durant was Jewish too. I must invite him over next Sabbath.")

((You are a Deputy of the Seine Department.))

Name: Claude de Beauvilliers, Duc de Saint-Aignan

A Law on the Amendment of the Law of Repression of Crimes and Offenses committed by the Press: Oui
Law on the Infrastructure Spoiler: Oui

[Ultraroyalist]
[Peer of France]
[Bonus, Minister of State +2.5PP]

Jules Dumont d'Urville, ((@99KingHigh ))

My Lord Admiral, I hereby request that you send the Neptune and Centaure to harbor at Pasaia to unload 15 36-pounder guns each and turn them over to the command of the Xth Army under the Prince of Conde. The rest of the fleet will bombard the Spanish positions on St. Clara Island with the aid of a land battery to the west of the island. Once the Spanish position there has been destroyed the fleet shall enter the harbor of San Sebastian and bombard the fortress. May God be with you.

Le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, Minister of the Navy and Colonies