• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Addressed to Deputy Lothaire Lecuyer
((Private - @ThaHoward))
Deputy,

I am willing to allow you to reenlist into His Majesty's Royal Army as a Captain of Infantry in the service of General Jean-Marie Changon, vicomte de Saint Fulgent. However, I would deign to remind you that His Majesty's Royal Army is no place for demagoguery or political radicalism. I shall not tolerate outward political dissent or political preaching from any persons within His Majesty's Army.

However, I welcome any who wish to fight for glory for the sake of His Majesty, France, and His Majesty's Army.

Respectfully,
François Bournier
Comte de Pontécoulant
Minister of War

Your Excellency,

I thank you for your consideration. I would not wish to miss such a great conflict as we are to embark upon. Perhaps my experiences will aid the great undertaking. Now of course I will not preach politics within the Army.

Saluations,

Capitaine and Député Lothaire Lécuyer.

((Private letter to @Fingon888 ))

General,

Pardon for being so blunt. I'm sure you've more important tasks than attending to your Junior Officer Corps. However his Excellency Comte de Pontécoulant have reinlisted myself as Captian of Infantry. I wish to serve with honor and dedication in the upcoming battle. And I want you to know that as I disagree with the war as a political, I will support fully as a soldier and officer of His Majesty's Army. As another note I would be ahppy to attend to my troops and get filled in on the situation as soon as possible.

Your obiedient servant,

Capitaine Lécuyer.

((Private letter to @ThaHoward ))

Cher Capitaine,

It is not the business of my personage to know the political views of the officers of my subordinates. I understand you return to active service to participate in the coming endeavor in the name of God and the King. It is the business of my personage in relation to yourself alone that you follow the commands of your superiors as they follow my commands and I follow the commands of mine. I charge you then, Capitaine Lécuyer, to serve in this war as commanded and to honor God in such a fashion. May the Grace and protection of the Risen Christ go with you.

Le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, Général et Ministre

Beauty and the Beast: Part VI

boyle_beauty10.jpg

The sun was starting to set and Belle had no idea where she was. She had fled down the dirt road, although it more resembled an overgrown path, in the general direction she believed she had first travelled from. It was hard to remember the exact direction after all this time. Now she had thoroughly lost herself. The road was unfamiliar, along with all her surroundings. There were no signs pointing her towards civilization. She had passed some farmers’ hovels an hour ago, the closest she had found to seeing any actual people, but now she seemed to have wandered into a forest. Trees stretched up to the sky all around her. As darkness set in, she could hear wolves howling in the distance. Perhaps she should turn back and try her luck at one of the farms.

The snap of a twig made Belle’s head shoot up like a startled deer. Another followed shortly after. Someone or something was nearby. Was it the wolves she had heard earlier? She listened carefully as she crept to the side of the road. There were no animal sounds, but only the faint sound of voices. It was men she was hearing. She let out a sigh of relief and returned to the road. Perhaps these travellers could help her.

After a minute or so, half a dozen men appeared on the road, holding torches to ward off the darkness and chatting amicably with each other. One burst out in boisterous laughter at some joke told by one of the others. None of them noticed Belle until she drew close enough to be revealed by the torchlight.

“Can you help me?” Belle asked, holding her arms close to her chest to ward off the cold. “I seem to be lost and can’t find a main road. I need to get to Morlaix.”

The six men exchanged glances, a mischievous glint in their eyes. Belle had seen it before and suspected she knew what it meant. She backed away instinctively.

“What’s a woman like you doing out here at night?” one man asked, holding his torch forward to better reveal Belle’s figure. He licked his lips from between the gap of his missing front teeth.

“I’m just trying to get home,” Belle said, moving step by step backwards as the men approached. “Please, can you point me in the right direction.”

“Aye, we can do that,” a man with a nasty scar where an eye used to be said. He let out an evil chuckle shared with his companions. He tried to sidle up next to Belle, but she slipped away. “Let us have a little fun first.”

Belle let out a gasp as her heel caught in a stray root and she tumbled onto her rump. The men drew closer and she was forced to crawl away until her back was pressed up against a tree. The man with no front teeth pushed his scarred companion aside and sent a lewd grin Belle’s way. “Let’s see what’s under that dress of yours.”

“Don’t you dare lay a hand on her, scoundrels!”

The Beast, the man who had kept her prisoner for so long, rode out of the forest astride a white steed, a sabre in his hand. He pointed it at the toothless man, his expression grave. “Back away if you value your life.”

There was a moment of tense silence before the six rogues burst out in laughter. The toothless man did back away from Belle, if only to move into a formation with his companions. Some drew swords, the others pistols. The Beast did not seem deterred, keeping his sword poised and ready to strike.

“Looks like the lord here wants to order us around,” the scarred man said, stepping forward and waving his pistol around. “You don’t want to mess with us. We’ve killed enough of your kind during the war.”

The Beast noticeably bristled at their words, especially after he noted the tricolour cockades some of them wore. From her vantage point, Belle could see the fury in his eyes. She had seen him angry before, but this seemed to rise from some dark place deep inside him. The nobleman’s hand was clenched so tightly it looked as though he would snap the hilt of his sword. The rogues just continued to share a jolly laugh as they waved their weapons around menacingly.

Without warning, the Beast kicked his steed, spurring it forward. The sudden motion startled the rogues as they quickly tried to fend off the noble and his horse coming their way. Those who had pistols fired hastily, sending their shots wide. The rest stepped out of the way of the horse, raising their swords above them. The Beast rode in, swinging his sabre. He slashed one man across the chest before he could strike, sending his spiralling to the ground with a spray of blood, while his steed knocked another man aside, flailing wildly as he tried to avoid getting caught underneath the horse’s hooves. The horse broke through the group, and the Beast turned about to prepare for another pass.

“Get him already,” the scarred man said, helping the man who had been knocked down by the horse back to his feet. They charged the Beast as a group before he could get his steed moving again. The Beast slashed savagely with his sabre, keeping them at bay as best as he could. Eventually the toothless man got a hold of his shirt and pulled him from the saddle, tossing him right to the ground. They quickly gathered around him, punching and kicking him where they could. They did not understand how deep his anger went.

The Beast let out a feral roar that startled the rogues even as they continued to wail on him. The noble snatched one man by the ankle and pulled so hard that the man flopped down onto his back, his head hitting the hard ground with such force he was instantly knocked unconscious. He then proceeded to expertly kick out at another man’s ankles, knocking him back onto his rump. The remaining three grabbed for their swords as the Beast leapt to his feet, snatching his sabre off the ground as he did.

Three of the men came at the Beast as one, their swords flying at him from all directions. The noble parried their blows like an expert fencer, keeping his free arm behind his back as his sabre surged through the air with ease. One rogue drew too close and lost an ear for his mistake. He clutched at the bloody mess on the side of his head and scurried away. That left just two, the scarred man and the toothless one, although the one he’d kicked over was rising back to his feet.

Deciding upon a change of tactics, the scarred man nodded towards the man not engaged in the swordfight and said, “Get the girl.”

Belle had remained frozen in her spot the entire time, frightened by the violence going on around her. As the one rogue started her way, she scrambled to her feet, only managing to trip and fall over again. As she finally managed to get back to her feet, she grabbed a stick that her hand landed on, wielding it awkwardly before her. The man approaching just grinned.

“Don’t you dare touch her,” the Beast said, struggling to fend off two swords at once. He pressed his attack, trying to break past them and get closer to Belle. His urgency made him slip up. The scarred man’s sword slid past his defences, cutting into his side. He gasped and clutched at his side, blood welling up between his fingers.

The man closed in on Belle and she swung her stick at him. He cut it in half with a swipe of his sword. She dropped the useless stump and backpedalled until her back was to a tree. She tried to circle around the tree, only to trip on yet another root and end up on her hands and knees. She could hear the man’s footsteps behind her. She crawled forward and let out a yelp as the rogue grabbed her by the hair. Her hand brushed against a rock and she grasped it. As the man tugged on her hair, forcing her back to her feet, Belle spun around and swung the rock at the man’s face with all her might. It collided with a sickening crunch, the rogue’s jaw crumpling and teeth flying from his open mouth. He let out a strangled gasp and collapsed to the ground, clutching at his pulverized jaw. Not wanting to give him another chance to attack her, she smashed the rock against the side of his head, knocking him unconscious.

While Belle had managed to handle her attacker well enough, the Beast was struggling. His movement was slowing and he stumbled once or twice. Blood continued to flow from his wound. Another strike from the scarred man found its mark, creating a gash across his chest. He stumbled back, nearly colliding with his horse. Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted the rifle he usually used for hunting strapped to the saddle. He had avoided using it earlier due to his preference towards swordsmanship, but these were desperate times. He pulled the weapon free and swung it around. His first instinct was to blow one of the rogue’s head off, but the more humane side of his saw the gun aimed much lower. Taking only the time to aim his shot, the nobleman fired a round into the toothless man’s leg. The rogue let out an inhuman screech as the meat of his leg was torn to shreds. He collapsed immediately, sobbing hysterically.

It was around this time that the scarred man finally noticed that all his companions were either wounded or dying. As the Beast stepped closer, swinging his sword back and forth experimentally, the rogue made a choice that most dishonourable men tended to make: he abandoned his friends and fled into the woods. Those of his companions who were still conscious ran or crawled after him. The toothless man left a trail of blood behind him as he dragged himself into the bush.

“You came after me,” Belle said tentatively, not certain whether the noble wanted to take her back to his castle or not.

The Beast nodded weakly and tried to say something, but suddenly fell to his knees, clutching at his side. Blood ran freely through his fingers. He gave one pleading look directed Belle’s way, his deep blue eyes peering into her soul, and proceeded to pass out. His horse neighed and flicked its head at his shoulder as though trying to wake him up. The Beast did not move.

Part of Belle told her to flee. The rogues would not be bothering her now and the Beast would surely not follow in his condition. Yet looking down at him, watching his lifeblood seep into the dirt, she knew she could not live with herself if she left him here to die. Whatever his intentions had been in following her, he had saved her life. She owed him that much.

Using all the strength she had left, Belle lifted the Beast up. He was heavier than he looked and she nearly collapsed under his weight. She persevered though, finally managing to lug him up onto his horse. She had to droop him sideways across the saddle, for she had not the strength to put him upright, and she suspected he’d just fall right off anyway. She leapt up behind up, sitting herself on the horse. She grabbed the reins and snapped them, guiding the horse back the way she had come. Hopefully she could get him back to his castle before he bled out. She wouldn’t be able to live with herself if he died.

CONGRESS OF VERONA (II)
(November 1822 - March 1823)

There emerged in Paris, among the esteemed politicians, three groups; one that wanted peace with independence of action, one that favored war in close collaboration with the alliance, and one that favored war with independence of action. In the Ministry, the temperament for belligerence was reaching a feverish pitch. Few gentlemen within the Council were heedful of the mistakes of the Peninsular War; Berstett was the only among the Ultra-Royalists who opposed intervention, while Polignac, although only in private, preferred intervention against the Cadiz Cortes to be enacted by a multilateral army of the monarchial forces of conservative Europe, and he had declared that the continent would benefit from the "destruction of the anticlerical and revolutionary régime at Madrid." Despite his assurances to Sully that in everything he had reserved complete freedom to the king and council, the Foreign Minister had agreed to act in concert with the three eastern courts in withdrawing the French ambassador from Madrid when they recalled theirs.

4aWn07I.jpg

The correspondence between Sully and Polignac might have turned sour had not the Foreign Minister been of the accommodating type, and saw the political expediency of balancing Britain and Russia. With great imagination, the ambitious ambassador formulated a plan which he was sure "would arrange if it were adopted." He conceived a national policy between the extremes of Sully and Berstett. While recognizing the value of opposing to Britain a union of the continental powers so that it would appear that a war with France meant a war with Europe, Polignac knew that the confidences of His Ministry were invested in the apparent independence of the Monarchy. Meanwhile, in Paris, another convention of ambassadors had gathered; and Pozzo di Borgo issued an ultimatum: the vacillation of policies of the Ministry must be ended, and her resolution had to be made known to the allies, or the continental forces would act without her. Despite his reluctance to choose between the moderate, national policy of Berstett and the more belligerent policy of Sully, which was supported by the council, Louis XVIII had to take a stand on the issue. On the afternoon of December 25, the king overruled the council, and sided with Berstett, unconfident of his royal arms with the recent attempt upon the crown.

WmxGNwQ.jpg

But Polignac and Chateaubriand were not content with the outcome, and sought now to confirm the independence of French policy. The next day Polignac transmitted a dispatch to Auguste Pelletier de la Garde and Mathieu Jean Félicité, duc de Montmorency-Laval, the French ambassadors in Spain, which presented instructions for furtive negotiations with Ferdinand VII, on the secretive instructions of Sully. Influenced by Chateaubriand's suggestion of December 12 that the French minister should remain after the allies had withdrawn theirs, in order to deprive England of the "role she proposed to play herself, that of mediator," Laval and Garde waited for as long as possible until they feared for their lives, and sent letter for their withdrawal back to Paris. Before Polignac's letter, La Garde and Laval were again denied access to Ferdinand VII, and they repeated all the French grounds for complaint against Spain. Incensed by the allied notes, San Miguel, the Spanish foreign minister, on the 10th of January, instructed the Duke of San Lorenzo, the Spanish ambassador to Paris, to resist all concessions to France. Three days later, the Madrid cabinent repented its haste and requested British 'good offices' to settle the Franco-Spanish dispute. But this afterthought came too late; Polignac and Chateaubriand used the defiance of San Miguel's note of January 10 (which reached Paris the 16th), and a violation of the French frontier by a single Spanish officer as a prextext for severing relations with Spain. Finally, on January 18th, after Berstett had personally rescinded his opposition to the war to the king in the interests of the stability of the Ministry, Polignac ordered La Garde and Laval to take their passports.

On January 28, 1823, the king, in his opening speech to parliament declared:

Madrid's deafness to our appeals leaves little hope of preserving peace. I have ordered the recall of our minister; and 100,000 French troops commanded by a prince of my family...calling on the God of St Louis, are ready to go into action to save the throne of Spain for a grandson of Henry IV, to spare this fine kingdom from ruin, and to reconcile it with Europe...let Ferdinand VII be free to give his people institutions which they cannot hold but for him.

p7BuS2R.jpg

For several weeks thereafter the chambers debated the appropriations for the expedition. This caused a violent interparty conflict. General Foy, with all the influence of his experience in the Napoleonic campaigns in Spain, predicted a military disaster. Deputy Manuel raised a storm of violent reaction by calling the execution of Louis XVI (in 1793) a measure of public safety justified by the earlier foreign invasion of France. "Do I need to remind you," he asked "that the dangers of the royal family had become more menacing when revolutionary France had felt she had to defend herself by a new form of government and by an entirely new surge of energy?" On hearing these words, the Right lost all control of itself and demanded Manuel's expulsion. The Liberals, on their own account, threatened to leave the Chamber of Deputies for the rest of the session if Manuel was removed...

...all of this legislative noise did not stop the expedition nor prevent the inclination toward war. By early March 1823, a hundred thousand men were drawn up and ready, divided into the army corps under the supreme command of the Duke of Angoulême...

--
The government has 36 hours to get out its next legislation for the debate period.

Spain and Manuel will continue throughout this period, so no need to propose legislation on these issues, although policy will be good in driving it. Orders are welcome by all characters.

While we wait...

Manuel Expulsion: Oui/No/Abst
[Party]
[Bonus]

To the Viscount of St. Fulgent ((PRIVATE - @Fingon888))

My lord,

Enclosed you will find a letter for His Majesty. I beg that you deliver it to him, unopened, without recourse to intermediaries. The letter contains only matters most personal and does not reflect upon matters of state. I would not think to so impose upon you were the issue not most urgent. As your former subordinate, aide, and club-companion, I can only beseech your goodwill and pray for your discretion.

Your obedient servant,
Henri Jules de Bourbon

To His Majesty the King ((PRIVATE - @99KingHigh))

Your Majesty,

I humbly apologize for the directness of this missive. I find myself greatly uncertain in the wake of recent events and earnestly beg Your Majesty's favor and the wisdom of Your Majesty's years.

Following my previous missive to Your Majesty, I was approached by an offer purported to originate from Your Majesty's noble brother. Contained within that offer was a promise to facilitate my introduction into the nobility, contingent upon my entire surrender of my lord father's estate upon the occasion of his demise.

As Your Majesty knows, I am presently estranged from my lord father given his late actions to undo Your Majesty's desired government and his corrupt bargain with the Duke of Orleans to that effect. As such, I sincerely doubt that I remain within my father's good graces or within the scope of his intended inheritance, which would almost certainly settle on my half-brother, with only perhaps a portion of the estate for myself, or perhaps nothing at all.

It has forever been my wish, since the death of my beloved brother Enghien, that I may in some manner continue the legacy of the House of Condé in a manner that serves the King, the House of Bourbon, and France. I am not the heir intended, for I shall never truly equal my elder brother's martyrdom on behalf of France and Your Majesty. My own humble service in Your Majesty's Government shall never equal the storied achievements of my ancestral line. Nevertheless, I wish most earnestly to remain the steward of the Condé legacy, to renew its recently tarnished history of loyal service, and to stand as a defender of the throne and the royal house.

That I might not inherit the ancient titles of my line is a painful thought to which I have become accustomed through dint of long practice. That I might be denied my father's goodwill and his patronage following our unfortunate parting is a newer pain, one yet undulled by the passage of time. But the notion that I might receive the whole of the legacy of our house, only to surrender it entire to another for their disposal, is a thought that I cannot bear. Despite the circumstance of my birth, I carry the blood of the House of Bourbon, and to renounce that legacy would be to renounce the very house to which I have pledged my service and my life.

And so I come to beg Your Majesty for wisdom and guidance, for I do not have a father to whom I can turn, and Your Majesty has ever been a noble and benevolent father to House and Kingdom. I do not wish to cause strife or animosity, nor to cause pain to those who would be my kinsmen. However, I am caught most decisively between my loyalty and my honor, and I hope that Your Majesty may offer a path through my dilemma, though I be not worthy of such grace.

Your humble and obedient subject,
Henri Jules de Bourbon

Note to Henri-Jules de Bourbon ((Private - @etranger01 ))

Cher Monsieur,

As you well know His Most Christian Majesty is often unavailable. In the memory of your service, I shall do as you command in regards this letter.

On a more personal note in the coming war that we all feel upon the South Winds, I recall your excellent staff work in the days of our paper army. I would be most honored for you to return to active service and take up a position on my staff in the Fourth Army of His Most Christian Majesty. May God preserve you in good health and spirits until this letter arrives and may the King look favorably upon your honored house, estranged though it is at the present moment.

With dear regards, Le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, Général et Ministre

To the Viscount of St. Fulgent ((PRIVATE - @Fingon888))

My lord,

I would be most honored to serve under you again in the coming conflict. Though my previous injuries render me unsuitable for fighting in the line, I am more than capable of the sustained travel and other duties required of a staff officer. Therefore, it is my sincere pleasure to accept your generous offer. Thank you for your many kindnesses. I look forward to our time in Spain and to the opportunity for honorable service for France.

Your obedient servant,
Henri Jules de Bourbon

Manuel Expulsion: Oui
[Unaffiliated]
[Bourgeoisie Epitome: +1 PP]

"I am a great admirer of the Charter and the spirited defenses of the electoral process given in the affair of Gregoire by men like Gen. Lamarque, but in this case we are not dealing with a repentant man with pardoned crimes, we are talking about the legal executive of the nation being threatened by a Deputy. Under no form of government would this be allowed to stand.

I can no longer stand with left of the Chamber if they persist in their support of this man."

- Deputy Thibaut Duval of Bouches du Rhone

The Condé Inheritance, part II

The Prince sighed, ripping the first will into a thousand pieces as he set to work once more to write his will and testament in case that he should fall in the coming war. Condé had decided to write it as a mythic will, to leave all in suspense and without certainty, his son had discarded him, his cousins despised him, now it was his turn to get back at them with uncertainty.

Mystic Will and Testament of Louis Henri Joseph, Prince of Condé
(UNKNOWN TO ALL BUT ME AND KING)

As he had written his will, he began to write some letters which would be given out to their respected receivers in case of Condé’s death. With that now being settled, Condé sealed the will with the witnesses there to attest to it and declared it his will and testament before handing it over to the proper authorities, for it first to be opened upon his demise.

Last edited:
((Private letter to @ThaHoward ))

Cher Capitaine,

It is not the business of my personage to know the political views of the officers of my subordinates. I understand you return to active service to participate in the coming endeavor in the name of God and the King. It is the business of my personage in relation to yourself alone that you follow the commands of your superiors as they follow my commands and I follow the commands of mine. I charge you then, Capitaine Lécuyer, to serve in this war as commanded and to honor God in such a fashion. May the Grace and protection of the Risen Christ go with you.

Le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, Général et Ministre

General,

I thank you for your blessing. And I fully understand that the personal views of your officer corps and enlisted corps are not of your concern. However I wrote to you anyway as I am indeed a politician who have argued against intervention both in papers and in the Chamber. As such I simply wanted to inform you that such views will not reflect my actions in the field of battle. There I will serve to honor God and King.

-Capitaine Lécuyer.

2nd of February 1823, Spanish border region.

"Today is a fine day to be in the infantry! A fine day indeed!" Lothaire exclaimed as he looked over his men a company of line infantrists. It were good to be back to lead men, and in a way to be in the infantry again. It reminded him of the good old days when he were only 16 and put on the uniform and boots (that would create countless blisters and pressure wounds) and were eager to battle. Now he were in command of 35 men. 120 privates who would fall under his command, to march out on a line. Who would lay the lives to the man next to him and to Lothaire - and most would likely perish. 1 clerk who would stay out of battle and do his clerk stuff - Lothaire did not care much of that. 8 Caporals and 4 Sergeants who would lead the privates in Lothaire's stead. Who would extert his command and seek glorious victory. 1 Seargent-Major, a tough son of a bitch. A veteran like Lothaire from the peninsular wars, and he were now the right hand man of Lothaire. 2 Souis-Liuetenant who would lead the platoons on the behalf of Lothaire. None of them had much experience and their only achievement were to have graduated from the Academy. Fortunately there were competent Sergents under these officers, and the Sergent-Major had much respect from these two young men. Then there were the Lieutenant, the second in command of the company. If Lothaire were to fall in battle it were he who were to lead the company. But Lothaire had no intention of that. Even then the deputy commander would fill in another role. To attach close bonds with the men in the company and to make sure, with the Sergent-Major, that the will and orders of Lothaire came into practicality. The second in command had been handpicked by Lothaire himself, as he were a ruthless and efficient offcier he had met during the German Campaign.

The winds were chilly and it were snowing. Most commanders had let their troops get a day off or to stay inside for lectures. But Lothaire intended to mold his company to a proper fighting force, a force that would bring glory to France and King - and to himself. The frost were biting into the hands of the soldiers who held their bare hands at cold metal or frozen wood. And they listened to Lothaire as he spoke.
"A fine day to be in the infantry as I have returned from Paris where our most christian king have ordered the 100.000 Sons of St. Louis to join in the fray, to march into battle and seek out a glorious death! Soon my men we will march. We will march into an uncertain future. We will march toward death. We will march to kill the enemies of France. Some of you may lose your courage, some of you will die or see your fellow brother being turned to shreds. But fear not. Fear not! Keep your eyes peeled on the horizon. Do honor to yourself, to your King, to God and to your family. Do as you are told, do as you are trained to and you will prevail.

Some of you have the faces of babies. As if you just stopped feeding from your mother's bussoms before your uniform were strapped on to you, and that you could never come to find love in another woman's bussom. But fear not. I have been there too. I have been a mere private myself in the infantry. And the same have all the Sergents, the Sergent-Major and the Liuetenant. We have all been there. And we have all survived and we will do our best to keep you alive. But we will not lie. We have been in war and know that most of us will die. But do as you are trained to do and you will come out of this, and if you don't you will earn your place in heaven and you will earn your place as a hero of France and bring glory to your family. Now we will foster your aggressiveness, we will meld your ruthlessness, we will make you dogs of war! You are to be my wardogs, you are to be aggressive and you will want nothing more than do fight and to kill. It is only I who will restrain you with your leash, but only barely so. As your will to kill, your will to fight and your lust for blood is so strong. But when the time is right I will unleash my dogs upon the enemy and you shall kill him! Now, on my mark you are to shout Kill on the top of your lungs three times!" Lothaire were pleased with his speech and looked in anticipation of his men who were all to eager to shout kill. As he gave his mark the 35 men shouted it three times, but it sounded like 350 men did it. Other men came out of their barracks and facilities to look at what were going on. What they saw were 36 men ready to go to war. And unlike most they would now march out. Not to war, but for field exercises. As such was Lothaire. He would not give his men rest he would prepare them every day for battle, and as such he had ordered them to go out in the field and camp there for an unspecified time and prepare for battle.

--------

March, 1823. Paris.

Lothaire had returned from his preperations for the war in Spain. Now some liberal leaning Doctrinaires had summoned him to their offices to discuss the recent events. Lothaire told them that Deputy Manuel were right in one way. The King would not have been executed if it were not for the intervention of foreign powers and that he tried to flee. Lothaire reminded them that he too had used this very argument to not go to war with Spain. As it would risk the life of King Ferdinand and make the Spanish revolutionaires even more radical. There was also the issue that this were the continuation of a worrying trend. The freedom of speech and expression were reduced day by day. He advised them to vote no in the bill, but not to make a clear stance. As it were the Ultras already had the majority and they could protest all they liked, but it would fall for deaf ears. Then it were the issue that other moderates said they would distance themself from the Left if this were to happen. Lothaire advised them to vote by their hearts, but to be silent. As then they could bridge the gaps between the moderates and Doctrinaire liberals, and let the Independent Liberals do the talking.

Manuel Expulsion: No.
[Doctrinaires]
[Downtrodden figurehead: +1 PP]

[Ultraroyalist]
[None]

Bon-Adrien Jeannot de Moncey

In 1793 I was but a young officer, under the command of the General Théophile Malo Corret de la Tour d'Auvergne, I took part in the invasion of Spain in 1794. An experience that I will never forget. I served as a Captain of the Grenadiers at the time, and made a name for myself taking the small fortress of Hondarribia with a detachment of some 200 men, fighting against a force force almost 8 times my size I was victorious. It was in Spain that I first made a name for myself, and first gained an avenue for advancement in a world full of anarchy and chaos. I have a great love and a great respect for that country, and a great respect for the Pyrenees which took almost as many of my comrades as the Spaniards."

Lamarque stood in silence for a moment reminiscing.

"As a professional soldier, and as a French patriot I could not have more concerns about the success of this expedition. It was only a decade ago that the Spanish people, with British support rose up against us. Driving out an army that at its greatest height did not just number 100,000 men but 280,000. Many of those soldiers veterans of the Grande Armee. And yet, we dare to be ignorant of a history so recent that the widows of that war are still receiving pensions on both north and south sides of the Peninsula. Remember if you will my fellow Deputies that it was the Austrian invasion and subsequent defeat at Valmy that turned a revolution into a series of wars that would consume the next three decades. When our brave soldiers, sons of our Fatherland are sent to Spain, we will all be responsible for the horrors that are unleashed in the war to follow. A war which we have given the Spaniards ample time to prepare for as they have been allowed to pile up their arms for months, as they sit high in the Pyrenees watching our armies assemble.

We should not be so eager to test the will or patriotism of a people, that despise us so. Nor should we forget that we have handed this new Spanish government with an excellent piece of propaganda, right from the start. We will allow them to create a narrative that France occupation may soon return to their country. We risk painting Ferdinand as a French puppet, in much the same way Maximilian Bonaparte once was. In doing so we further risk weakening his position among those in the Spanish population who might still support him. Lastly when we invade Spain the question of whether or not to support the current Spanish government will become a black and white one. Side with the crown and the French or side with the fatherland. I worry deeply what choice many common Spaniards will make."

Manuel Expulsion: No
[Liberal]
[None]

Last edited:
To His Grace the Duc de Saint Aignan ((@Marschalk))

Your Excellency

As one of the first supporters of my proposal for intervention into Spain to defeat the radical revolutionaries, I must express my eternal gratitude. The Royalist stance on the issue will help secure the peace and prosperity of not just Iberia, but all of Europe for years. I wish to show my gratitude though in more then just words. Once the Spanish revolutionaries are defeated and Ferdinand VII is liberated from captivity, I wish to throw a celebration at my estate in L'Isle Jourdain. This will celebrate the pro-longed stability of Europe and the defeat of violent and destabilizing revolutionaries. I shall be inviting your excellency and those who have supported this intervention to join me for a night of celebration. But, there are two guests in mind that I wish to see come to the Barrande estate that night, the Comte de Artois and his son, the Duc de Angouleme (who is currently leading the intervention into Spain). I humbly ask that you pass on this invitation to them, due to your close friendship with the Comte de Artois and his family. If the Duc de Angouleme accepts the invitation, he shall be the guest of honor at the celebration for his efforts in leading the intervention. I shall be eternally grateful if you share this invitation with them.

-Nathanaël Barrande, Comte de L'Isle Jourdain

[Ultraroyalist]
[Blessed by Poor Luck +1PP]

By the Riverside...

jHgR2Jc.jpg

It is quiet along the banks of the Bidasoa.

On the French side, the encampment of the duc de Angoulême swayed with little bustle.

There was, beneath the stillness, a great anxiety after some soldiers, just the night before, had cheered mutinous song of Béranger!

Point de victoire
Où n'y a point de gloire.
Brav' soldat, v'la l'ord' du jour :
Gard' à vous! Demi-tour!

But now there was only placidity. At least for a moment.

And then suddenly a great noise was heard; a noise that sounded all too familiar. The soldiers rushed out of their encampment to witness the commotion.

On the banks of the river, on the French side, three-hundred men, had lined before the 9th Light Regiment.

The Tricolour flag.

La Marseillaise.

Go home, they cry! They block the way across the river.

The infantrymen hesitate; should they fire?

--

Manuel Expulsion: Abstain

[Doctrinaire]
[Victor of Les Hommes: +1PP]