• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
WGa2d4D.png

Condé kept a straight face; neither smiling, frowning or giving any emotion as he took a step forward. “I wish to offer my condolences again, Sire. It saddens me that this tragedy is to be the main topic between us, it’s never a pleasant thing.” The Prince said before he sat down opposite of the King. “I have prepared the funeral arrangements for the Prince. I have arranged that his body is to be brought to the Notre-Dame Cathedral this coming Thursday at nine, Monsieur and Louis along with the rest of the family and you, sire, will be given time to say your private goodbyes before he is moved.
He will be drawn through Paris on a horse carriage. Regiments from the Royal and National Guard shall march after the coffin and the régiment de Monsieur shall ride before it. At the Cathedral his body will lay in state until Sunday, where the people of France can come and pay their respects. Standing vigil over him with six hour interval will be soldiers from the previous mentioned regiments. I would also have Monsieur, Louis, myself and Philippe stand vigil over him during the first of these, if they are willing of course and it is not too much for them.
Sunday morning the Prince will be moved to the Basilique royale de Saint-Denis where his funeral will take place. I have also issued a week of public morning, and the coming Sunday of his funeral, a mass and prayer for his soul will be said in all churches of France. I will also make arrangement to have bread given out by the monks and nuns of France in his memory, as well as speak with the Archbishop of Reims regarding the commission of a statue to the Prince.”

f8q8r2a.jpg

"That is most gracious of you, cousin, for I believe that my nephew was among the kindest hearts in our Kingdom, and it should be made known that our love was supreme, so the people of the realm may participate in our ultimate farewell. I believe my brother and I are too grieved to make any practical considerations on our own, so I am thankful for this proposition. Is there anything else you require, before I retire to my grief?"

To Henri Jules de Bourbon - ((Private to @etranger01))

Monsieur,

I must first congratulate you on your appointment to the Ministry of the Interior. I am certain that you shall serve with the utmost honor and skill, as befitting a man such as yourself. I duly accept your resignation within His Majesty's Royal Army, and I accept your commission as Colonel. However, I have been recommended by your superiors of your excellent military mind, and I am of the opinion that your request to retain a commission as Colonel in the reserves would be most prudent in these times of uncertainty and confusion. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors as Minister of the Interior.

With respect and admiration,

François Bournier
Comte de Pontecoulant
Minister of War

f8q8r2a.jpg

"That is most gracious of you, cousin, for I believe that my nephew was among the kindest hearts in our Kingdom, and it should be made known that our love was supreme, so the people of the realm may participate in our ultimate farewell. I believe my brother and I are too grieved to make any practical considerations on our own, so I am thankful for this proposition. Is there anything else you require, before I retire to my grief?"

WGa2d4D.png

Condé chuckled slightly, though not one of happiness, joy or cheer. It was empty, hollow and sad. “I remember when Antoine was murdered, how I locked myself away for days, weeks. How I could think of nothing else and wanted to do nothing else but sit down and cry day after day. Yet I had to smile, to entertain and to receive visitors, how everyone came and offered their sincere condolences and yet so few of them knew anything about what I felt, how I wanted to shut them all away and just bar the hatches to my house.” Condé said as he swallowed hard. “I felt so empty, I still do. Every day when I open my eyes in the morning or shut them at night, I see his face before me and my dreams are filled with memories. But the worst thing is not even the grief, it’s the guilt. I had the power to prevent it, I’m a Prince. I could have forced him to England, to safety, had I acted differently I could have prevented it all, and yet I failed in my duty, for any father to any son, I failed my son and he had to give his life for it. Every single day following it has been hell, and now my oldest living son is getting gunned down on the roads of France, it just brings it all back. I thought I had secured the future of my family, that my Antoine would carry my touch and that of my house, and now it’s all in ruins.” Condé sighed sorrowfully as he looked up at the King, “Forgive me, cousin, I did not mean to burden you with it all.” The Prince frowned, “If there is anything I can do, or just if you wish to talk, I will always be there for you. We have not been as close since the passing of my father, but let us return to what we once were, a proper family once more.”

WGa2d4D.png

Condé chuckled slightly, though not one of happiness, joy or cheer. It was empty, hollow and sad. “I remember when Antoine was murdered, how I locked myself away for days, weeks. How I could think of nothing else and wanted to do nothing else but sit down and cry day after day. Yet I had to smile, to entertain and to receive visitors, how everyone came and offered their sincere condolences and yet so few of them knew anything about what I felt, how I wanted to shut them all away and just bar the hatches to my house.” Condé said as he swallowed hard. “I felt so empty, I still do. Every day when I open my eyes in the morning or shut them at night, I see his face before me and my dreams are filled with memories. But the worst thing is not even the grief, it’s the guilt. I had the power to prevent it, I’m a Prince. I could have forced him to England, to safety, had I acted differently I could have prevented it all, and yet I failed in my duty, for any father to any son, I failed my son and he had to give his life for it. Every single day following it has been hell, and now my oldest living son is getting gunned down on the roads of France, it just brings it all back. I thought I had secured the future of my family, that my Antoine would carry my touch and that of my house, and now it’s all in ruins.” Condé sighed sorrowfully as he looked up at the King, “Forgive me, cousin, I did not mean to burden you with it all.” The Prince frowned, “If there is anything I can do, or just if you wish to talk, I will always be there for you. We have not been as close since the passing of my father, but let us return to what we once were, a proper family once more.”

f8q8r2a.jpg

Louis XVII, who was known not only for his intelligence and wit, but also his great empathy, was deeply touched by the revelations of Condé. Whereas his brother dreamt of Versailles, of regal power, of great resplendence, of the pomp and circumstance, of the old court, of the endless wealth, of the noble processions, of the dignified church, of the crown upon Louis XVI, of the colors of power, Xavier remembered the faces; the once bountiful family that had sprung like muses; the music that had danced through the falls; he remembered every detail; no, not the marching tunes or the absolutism of the monarchy; those were superfluous; but the happier days when harmony made right; when the royal brood was plentiful; when he was filled with ambition, now so meaningless to his person; when the ladies were virtuous; and when his family feared not the destitution of time; but aspired to the greatness of the future. Now he was a weary man, considerable in age, and once more, mournful of the tribulations of the family, and grateful for the reminder that he had not, nor had ever, endured the pains alone.

"Come, my Cousin, let us remember, with fond hearts, and ever present sadness, the objects of our love, who we cannot never bear to let go. But let us rejoice too, at the spring of life! and nevermore regret that we did not know them, those that have passed to Heaven, for let us recall their lively persons, their intricacies and details. Shame upon ourselves if we can condemn them only the artifact of their tragedy, and not as those who lived the same airs; are we not like them? Do we not inhabit what they once inhabited? No, my cousin, I grieve beside you; I reflect upon our tragedies which we have endured in mutual comfort. But, my dear prince, let us avow ourselves of these sorry thoughts, and exult the lives they conducted, and posture our persons not only to the memory of their absence, but the remembrance of their purpose, and take heart knowing that in happier days, they lived, like us, and loved, like us, and met the Lord and Sovereign, who above makes the ultimate judgement, who in the conclusion, imbues us with the eternal peace and joy that bestows its qualities in that final destination of all souls.

So we shall yet enlarge the matter of your son, who I now see you have invested with your dearest admiration, but know that he is not lost in my consideration, not shall he ever be, for you have the tender heart of a father to his son, and I, as the father of my kingdom, must show equal mercy and gracious heart as one does to anyone in the flesh and blood. Come then, and make off to the Château de Sully-sur-Loire, where it is the conviction of our noble allies to celebrate my late brother, who was in all things equal to such honors of paternal conviction."

Banquet of Remembrance

The Château de Sully-sur-Loire was no close palatial estate; positioned some one-hundred-and-fifty kilometers from Paris, guests and attendants for the Ordre de Varennes were forced to put up with unconventionally compressed quarters. But the presence of the comte d'Artois and the duc and duchesse d'Angoulême insured that the ambitious of Parisian society were not deterred by the inconvenience. Indeed, the duc de Sully had rented out all the boarding rooms and hostels in Sully-sur-Loire for the occasion, and spared no expense on this lascivious occasion.

The comte d'Artois and the petit-fils de France were still very much affected by the passing of Berry, but had presented themselves to the occasion as the event was in the good faith of the veneration of the family, which was much distressed by the assaults on its members. Artois had no intention of allowing the passing of his youngest scion to dissuade his persuasion of Rome, and so he had conducted his energies to rally the nonpareil of Paris to the Château de Sully-sur-Loire.

vP4c9Wg.jpg

The evening began with a banquet that could only be described by its obscene opulence, but the guests mistook this indecency of expenditure for good taste, and most were pleased by the expensive display. Sully had even procured the famous publications of Monsieur-Chef Marie-Antoine Carême for instruction, and presented what modern observers could legitimately presume to be the original presentation of haute cuisine. Prior to the servicing of the meal, Sully presided over a speech to his guests, brimming with platitudes and entreaties for donations; although the majority of the guests had already eagerly presented their bills of exchange in order to catch the fancy of Angoulême and Artois upon their entrance.

240px-Cross-Crosslet-Heraldry.svg.png

The insignia of the Ordre de Varennes.

After the completion of the meal, which was dragged out considerably late to insure that the monied men would become inebriated, and consider further donations, the host conducted his guests to the drawing room for further discussion and entertainment. There was much deliberation of politics, but Artois and Angoulême remained quiet on account of their grief; the former typically averse to silence and the latter typically averse to discourse. The royal relatives, however, did make frequent note to the presented cause, and begged en absentia that the Roman Church would consider canonization of Louis XVI.

The somber matters thus resolved, and Artois retired for the evening, the guests now proceeded to the main hall of the Chateau, where Sully's attendants had prepared the late-night dances. The quadrilles of former classical composers, such as Charpentier and Lully, dominated the movements of the night, and most were resolved to sleep after the arrival of dawn-break. The event thus completed, Sully's coffers were now much enlarged for the pursuit of his responsibilities in Rome.

Chamber of Deputies.

Lothaire were thrilled by the latest news from Spain and Italy. Hopefully the volunteers he had sent had played a major role. Now he hoped that the flame of liberalism would not die out from the suffocation of reaction. Now he would adress the latest issues.

"M.President,

While understanding the latest issues adressed in the legaslative Chambers are most troublesome.

First let us not use the tragic death of the Duke of Berry to ideological gains. If we are to restrict liberties now we will only inflame the situation. The King of Spain fell as he went against the promises he made. Let us not do the same mistake. And ask yourself would the Duke of Berry, peace be with him, want this? Is this how we should honor the man who on his very deathbed wanted to forgive his murderer? Let us not abuse the pain of the Royal Family and France to our own personal gains!

Then as both M.Bourbon and myself were victims of attempts I say extremists of both sides are to blame. I fear if we listen to certain voices we will only inflame the situation. We will give the Extreme Right legitimacy and only radicalise the far left even more. Nay I say we are to come together in a united moderate front to combat the extreme forces.

For the invasion of Spain... have we learned nothing? This will only be the repeat of Napoleon's failed Peninsular Campaign. Merely 5 years past the last wars, occupational forces who just left and a major Budget deficit we are to plunge into another war? This is merely Bonapartism draped in a Bourbon cloak! And how will the British react to a French aggression against a power who now hold similar ideology as them - not to speak of the British intend to dominate the continent. And how will Austria react? Are they too to invade us then? As clearly being a Constitutional Monarchy is a valid Casus Belli for invasion! I say let us instead strengthen our bonds with Spain and Two Sicilies as we now share similar governments and dynasties. First Haiti, and now Spain and Naples. Where will this kind of bloodthirst and aggression lead us? Look at Napoleon and you will find your answer!"

((Private)) (( @Korona ))

To the minister of war,

I have in response to your request for new ideas and proposals attached my particular suggestion on how to improve the Gunpowder manufacturing of this nation, something I feel will assist the army in its actions no end.

On Saltpetre and the production of Gunpowder in the kingdom of France.

While the production of Saltpetre, the most crucial part of gunpowder has taken leaps and bounds since 1774, with the introduction of the Royal Board of Powders and Saltpetres. I feel that for France to regain it's posistion in Europe and the world changes must take place.

For one, the position of the board outside of the control of the minister of war, leaves it unable to easily adapt to the changing nature of warfare, something that the minister of war will no doubt be well versed in. To solve this problem, I suggest incorporating it into ministry of war, with a deputy heading it directly. This will streamline production, and increase the ability for rapid changes to suit demand.

In addition, in the short term, the current process and 'right to dig' functions very well, even if it is slowly becoming obsolete and harder, as more and more reliance is placed upon imports from abroad, and existing reserves slow.

To solve this issue, I would ensure that the 'right to dig' is sustained, but in an attempt to reduce reliance on it and foreign exports, use the so called 'French Method' of gunpowder production.

As you are no doubt well accquainted with the notion, I will only run through the basics and flaws with current implementation.

Firstly, Excrement either from human or beast is collected. It is noted that the best method if animal excrement is used, is to mix together Manure from cows and chickens.

Then this must be mixed with a combination of burned wood, and Human urine. In this process that is to take about a year it is suggested to add around 50 tonnes of Human urine.

This must all be placed in a large container, so that there is the highest surface area possible, the bottom must not leak, to ensure that urine doesn't escape. This must be located In a rather warm, damp area, preferably in doors, or under the ground. There must be good ventilation, as well to ensure the correct production. This was noted by Lavoisier, in his time in the commission.

This must be well mixed, and after a period of around a year to a year and a half there will be saltpetre produced.

However I propose that we used Potasch instead of burned wood, this will be far easier. As I predict less will be required for the same yield, and it will also be less time consuming.

Finally, I suggest that this process be expanded in Paris, with a second plant opening outside the city, to the west of the city, due to the prevailing wind also being to the west.

Likewise I also suggest that small scale production is also to start elsewhere, in France, in large settlements such as Toulouse.

Any saltpetre that is unessecary, can be sold to our allies on the continent, bringing in a direct income to the state.

In the area of Gunpowder production, I suggest an expansion of gunpowder production to suit this saltpetre surplus, with a standard ratio being decided upon, with every plant using it. Ensuring uniform strength, I would suggest that unannounced inspectors from the ministry are sent out throughout the year to ensure this is being followed.

I hope these measures are to your liking, as They will no doubt improve the quality and quantity of production of saltpetre and gunpowder, giving the French soldier the edge on the battlefield.

Sincerely, Colonel Jean-Luc Gottoliard

Addressed to Guillaume Armand Marie Emmanuel de Chalançon, prince de Polignac, duc de Polignac

@m.equitum

8iPG7wb.jpg

Très-haut et très-puissant Seigneur,

I was informed last weekend of your appointment to the Ministry of M. de Valence, who has always been a dear friend of mine, and was much rejoiced by the ascension of such a cabinet to the confidence of His Most Catholic Majesty.

I have, however, been somewhat disheartened by the violence that has apprehended the country, and much of Europe now places their trust for the stabilization of France in the incumbent ministry.

Whatever the policies of your government, and the constitutionalism of your cause, the Sovereigns of Europe have resolved to call Congress at Troppau, where it is the intention of His Imperial Majesty to establish the principle of permitted interventions in countries afflicted with seditious sentiment.

As consequence for the violence in France, however, it is the opinion of the powers that the plenary powers of France at the Congress be somewhat constrained; but it should not be so impactful if France is to adopt the same course as Austria; that is the establishment of the principle of intervention, no matter the protestations of Great Britain. Should it be your conviction to concur with our policy, we should exert all energies to liberate France from any restrictions placed upon the diplomatic authority of that country, and make haste to permit intervention in Italy.

I eagerly await your reply,
METTERNICH

(( @DensleyBlair - Private ))

Letter from the Archbishop of Reims to Monsieur Alexandre Cazal

Monsieur Cazal,

I must certainly confess that your letter was received with a generous dose of surprise, given the most inauspicious time of its arrival. However, the receive such a missive from a famed author such as yourself certainly alludes to my curiosity.

In all honesty, I have avidly read your first novel, Apories, which speak truly to both your mastery of the prose and your power to convey the strongest imagery through your writing. The passing of Prosper’s benefactors was to me a powerful critique of the receding influence of the monarchy and the Church during the revolution Likewise, I read in the prolonged legal battle for the Chevalier’s inheritance a most virulent attack on your part of the immoral society which sprung from the rebellion, where every family members are clawing for some earthly goods over the righteousness of Prosper’s claim. Finally, the active industry of Prosper to prevent the efforts for the reconquest of Saint-Domingue appears out clearly as an indication not to revisit the past of the revolution, which indeed saw the lost of Hispaniola.

As for the subject of your letter, it will be my utmost pleasure to discuss the charitable works of the Most Christian Society of Saint Isidore the Labourer. When next in Paris, feel free to call on me at Hôtel de Neuilly, 4 rue Vaugirard, on any Tuesday night.

Avec vous dans la Foy,

Henri-Charles Victorin du Bourget
Archbishop of Reims

Mgr. du Bourget,

I am heartened to hear that you gained so much from reading my novel. Its symbolism is, of course, not for me to say—an author may extend his mortal presence only so far before he becomes a hindrance to enjoyment—though I am pleased to learn that you found its contents to be so great a cause for reflection.

As concerns my enquiries, I am most grateful for your extension of hospitality. I shall call at your Hôtel next Tuesday evening. Please alert me if this proves an untenable commitment.

Je reste, Mgr., votre serviteur en toute humilité,

Cazal

((Private: Supreme Lodge Masons))

Hiram's Path

Duval had enjoyed the brotherhood and feeling of access to the highest realms of society that Entered Apprenticeship had brought, but now was the time to be brought into the full Masonic Light as a Second Degree Craftsman.

The night had begun like the other meetings of the Supreme Lodge had, in the main Lodge chamber with the proceedings overseen by the Worshipful Master from his throne. As the time for the ritual came, Duval and his co-petitioner General Lamarque were led down a stone stairway into a smaller, darker room. The Chamber of Reflection.

Here the plumb level and the carpenter's square gave way to a different kind of imagery. A human skull on an central dais, with alchemical components like sulfur arranged on the lecterns around it. Through the candelight, Duval could see the reaper's scythe hung above the entryway, hanging over where they had entered the chamber in somber silence.

The Worshipful Master began the ritual.

Standing proudly, each petitioner held his hand upon a holy bible.

"What is your duty to god?" Bellowed the master.

The petitioners spoke in unison.
"To stand with firm and righteous will. For no rabble clamorous for the wrong; nor tyrant's brow, whose frown may kill; can shake the power that makes us strong!"

"What is your duty to your fellow man?"

"To live with love and care, upon the level and by the square!"

"What is your duty to yourself?"

In this last petition each man was to speak from their own heart, so Duval did not hear what the good General said, for the echoing of his own words in his head and in his heart.

"To complicate the divine beauty in all things and humble myself before the perfectly ordered pattern of infinity!"

A life's journey into the mysteries of the Great Architect had begun.

The château du Raincy, outside of Paris.

300px-Noyal_-_Louis-Philippe_Ier_%281773-1850%29_duc_d%27Orl%C3%A9ans_en_uniforme_de_colonel-g%C3%A9n%C3%A9ral_des_Hussards%2C_repr%C3%A9sent%C3%A9_en_1817.jpg

The duc de Orléans in the uniform of a Colonel of the Hussars.
News reached Orleans that a certain comte de L'Isle Jourdain had begun agitation for French intervention in Spain. His name was familiar, he had procured a commission for him some years ago and had somehow ended up the in the services of the arch-reactionary, the Prince of Conde. A shame, Orleans thought. Indeed, his speech in the Peers was most distressing. France was not yet stable, was just recovering from the effects of famine, and now hawks were demanding a foreign war when the fisc had not yet recovered. In any case, the notion of the forces of French reaction denying the Spanish their equivalent of the Charter was abhorrent to the cause of progress. Something had to be done to head off such notions of foreign adventures, especially ones done at the behest of the Habsburgs and that puppet master Metternich.

Letters were written up to mobilize the those of liberal leanings in the Doctrinaires and Independents to implore them to remember the fiscal crisis France was facing and the effect on popular opinion if French troops were to be used to restore Absolutism to Spain; many would then wonder how long before Absolutism would be restored through the same fashion in France. For the consideration of French nationalists would be the notion that the foreign policy of Paris would be dictated by Vienna. Thanks to treaty would France have to eat, sleep, and defecate on Metternich's command, mused Orleans to his friends in the military and the old and new aristocracy sympathetic to his views. The greatest indignity would be that France would have to carry entirely the costs of being employed as Austrian "mercenaries" in the proposed campaign.

For those of a more pragmatic bent he reminded them that a Spanish invasion would destroy any chance of bringing Spain's rebelling American colonies the heel. In that void, the British or even the United States would step in and gain new markets. Orleans had lived for a time in the United States and intimated to his confidants that in time that nation would be a rising power; Washington's people had an entire continent of untamed, virgin lands to settle and thus room to grow where there was none to be had in Europe. Additionally, should such an intervention principle be established it would represent an unwanted intrusion into the domestic affairs of each European nation. It would create a framework for the Austrians to intervene in France if it stepped out of Metternich's designs for the country.

French glory and reputation had to be restored--this Orleans very much wished for--but not subject to the whims of foreigners.

An excerpt from a memorandum of the Prussian ambassador in Paris to the King of Prussia.

'For whatever progress has been made, the King cannot count, for a war of opinion, on any regiment of the army. A tricolour flag presented even by the Spaniards in the middle of France, would be sufficient to start a civil war there and overthrow the Government. For itself the state of the army, despite the swelling of its ranks, has failed to prosecute disloyal elements within the Army, or contrarily, permits excessive accusations to flourish, encouraging vendettas of all sorts, and all this owing partially to the quick succession of Ministers of War that has epitomized martial incompetence. The Cortes of Spain are quite assured that the Bourbon army will not fight for the Bourbons; it should thus be made clear at Troppau the principle is to be assured of intervention; but that no intervention beyond the prerogative of Austria should be licensed...'

Beauty and the Beast: Part III

boyle_beauty10.jpg

Belle spent the night alone in the chambers she had been tossed into, although it was more like a prison. Shortly after the last of her tears had fallen, she had tried to make her escape. The door was locked, as she had expected, and attempts to force it open met with failure. It was a sturdy door and she was a petite woman. The window was covered with a simple wooden shutter but had no glass. Since she was in a tower though, the drop down would have killed her if she had tried to jump. After scouring the room for almost an hour looking for any possible route of escape, she had resorted to stripping her bed of its sheets and tying them together to use as a rope to scale down the tower. She tied the sheet chain to the foot of the bed and tossed it out the window. The sheet rope only reached half way down the tower. Even a drop from that height would risk injury. She eventually gave up, pulled the sheets back in, and remade her bed. She’d need somewhere to sleep, after all, if she had no choice but to stay here.

When she had finally resigned herself to sleeping, Belle had spent a good hour tossing and turning in her bed. She was still distraught by her sudden imprisonment and being separated from her father. Would he come back for her? Knowing her father, he’d fear for her safety if he antagonized her captor. She prayed he was at least safe now that he was set free. She would cope for now and try to find a way free when she could. All she could do was ponder about her circumstances as she listened to the sound of the rain pounding against the roof above her. At least she could be grateful that she was in a section of the castle where the roof was still intact.

After slipping into a state of sleep for a few hours, Belle was awakened by the sound of knocking. At first she thought it was the rain beating against the roof, but when the sharp knocks repeated, she realized someone was at the door. She remained buried in her covers. If she was a prisoner, why should she be entertaining guests.

“Mademoiselle?” The voice, distinctly female with a hint of a British accent, came from the other side of the door. “Are you awake? I’ve brought you breakfast.”

When Belle refrained from answering, she heard the sharp click of the lock and the door slid open slightly. A stout woman peeked inside, her wrinkled face scrunching up in a smile as she noticed Belle looking her way from the bed. “Oh good, you are awake.” She nudged the door further open with her hip and carried a tray into the room. “I hope you don’t mind the intrusion, but I expect that you’re quite famished.”

The servant woman placed the tray down on the edge of the bed next to Belle and smoothed the white apron she was wearing. The tray held a plate of freshly baked bread slathered in butter and jam, a bowl of grapes, and a steaming cup of tea. Belle didn’t make a move for the food. She still wasn’t certain whether to trust this woman.

The servant, noticing her defiant gaze, gave a sad smile. “I know it isn’t much, but the Master has been forced to cut down the house’s expenditures. I baked the bread myself, so I can attest to its freshness. By the way, my name’s Madame Potts if you be needing me in the future.”

When a reply wasn’t forthcoming, the servant woman gave a faint bow and edged towards the door. She hesitated when she reached the doorway and turned back towards Belle, who hadn’t moved an inch the entire time. “I must apologize for the Master’s behaviour. I pleaded with him to be lenient with you, but he has been in such a foul mood as of late. You must understand that life has been hard on him.”

“What could possibly cause a man to take someone prisoner without reasonable cause and lock them in a tower?” Belle said, sitting up in the bed and glaring at the servant.

Mme Potts’s gaze drifted to the floor. She wrung her hands as she stepped closer to the bed. “The Master has been going through difficult times. You see, he was just a boy when the Revolution broke out. His father decided to fight under the Prince of Condé, while he and his mother fled to Austria. When Condé’s army disbanded, the Master's father attempted to return to his estate here. As you can see, the revolutionaries did not treat the castle well, plundering it of anything of value. It is said that they learned of his return return and murdered him within these very halls. The Master has not taken the loss of his father well, even after all these years.”

After letting out a sigh, the Mme Potts sat down on the bed near Belle. She stared out the window, as if her mind was drifting off to another time and place. “The Master had spent so little time with his father and then lost him while he was still a boy. His mother doted on him, but the loss of her husband left her cold and despondent. Us servants have been the only family he has left, seeing as his mother passed away a few years ago. After his mother's death, the Master decided to return to his ancestral home, and us few that remained chose to join him. So please, be patient with him. He has been through so much and has lost those he loves. I am certain he will come to his senses in time and let you go free.”

The two remained quiet for quite some time. Belle wasn’t sure what to say. She did not know this lord and she didn’t care to either. Perhaps his life had been rough, but that didn’t mean he could go around locking people in towers. Then again, she understood what it was like to lose a parent. She wished more than anything she had been given a chance to know her mother. She could only imagine the pain of losing both her parents. Not bothering to look the woman in the eyes or let the defiant look leave her face, Belle gingerly took a piece of bread and started chewing away at it.

The servant woman smiled as Belle started to eat. She rose to her feet with a slight groan, age taking its toll. She watched Belle eat for a time and then turned to leave. Before she closed the door, she said, “If there is anything you need, just ask. I’ll make sure your stay here is comfortable as long as the Master insists on keeping you.”

The door closed behind the woman and Belle bit into another slice of bread. At least there was one reasonable person here. She took a sip of tea and sighed as the warm liquid swished around in her mouth. It was one of the most pleasant brews she had ever tasted. If she was going to be a prisoner, at least she was being well cared for. One day she’d get out of her, but for now she’d bide her time while sipping on tea like a lady.

Last edited:
((All government propositions must be posted within the next 24 hours. @m.equitem come to Discord or IRC when you can.))

Addressed to Guillaume Armand Marie Emmanuel de Chalançon, prince de Polignac, duc de Polignac

@m.equitum

8iPG7wb.jpg

Très-haut et très-puissant Seigneur,

I was informed last weekend of your appointment to the Ministry of M. de Valence, who has always been a dear friend of mine, and was much rejoiced by the ascension of such a cabinet to the confidence of His Most Catholic Majesty.

I have, however, been somewhat disheartened by the violence that has apprehended the country, and much of Europe now places their trust for the stabilization of France in the incumbent ministry.

Whatever the policies of your government, and the constitutionalism of your cause, the Sovereigns of Europe have resolved to call Congress at Troppau, where it is the intention of His Imperial Majesty to establish the principle of permitted interventions in countries afflicted with seditious sentiment.

As consequence for the violence in France, however, it is the opinion of the powers that the plenary powers of France at the Congress be somewhat constrained; but it should not be so impactful if France is to adopt the same course as Austria; that is the establishment of the principle of intervention, no matter the protestations of Great Britain. Should it be your conviction to concur with our policy, we should exert all energies to liberate France from any restrictions placed upon the diplomatic authority of that country, and make haste to permit intervention in Italy.

I eagerly await your reply,
METTERNICH

(( @99KingHigh -- Secret ))

jmkgmIC.png

Chamber of Deputies, Paris
Ultraroyaliste cloakroom

The Archbishop of Reims was discussing the recent nomination of the ministry with some fellow deputies.

"Indeed, indeed, poor Valence and Saint-Aignan. They must feel like they are in charge of a crêche, given the tender age of so many of their ministers."

The men laughed.

"Or maybe, they shall be inspired by such young vigor. It must be said the the former ministry was not the most energetic."

They laughed again.

Despite the recent political climate in France, the academia has retained much of the traditional freedom of speech. The direct attacks on the royalty or outspoken radicalism were of course not tolerated, but the professors and the students alike would sometimes engage in more or less politically sensitive debates about topics that a decent French citizen – or subject - would probably not be willing to admit even thinking about. At Aix-Marseille University, those debates happened too.

“The events in Spain should be an inspiration to us! We were stripped of our freedom first by the Emperor, then by the King. But the people, when they work as one, can overcome any obstacles!”

“Jacques... It is like you are forgetting what the freedom was actually like. The Declaration had us all born free, but in reality, we were only pretty much free to die under a blade...”

The endless bickering between students from the left and from the right sometimes took hours. Professor de Latouche would often find himself listening to those, but hardly ever commenting. The differing views of the young fiery minds, their arguments and petty rhetorical victories of one over the other gave him so much food for thought. He had a rather clear opinion of the current events in Spain – and even though he denied violence, he proudly voiced his support for constitutionalism, even though he strongly denounced violence.

But after the Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen was mentioned, de Latouche stopped paying attention at all. He got an idea. It took his mind some time to return to the debate.

“We must do all we need to help our brethren in Spain should Austrians or anyone else attack them and take their freedom away, and if that means a fight, then bring it!”

“Fight...” De Latouche finally said “France had freedom once, then the war came. And the freedom was the first one to die in the war. The same happened with Haiti – what was a revolt against slavery ended up in yet another slavery, and a massacre none of you who wasn’t there can imagine.”

“But this works both ways – trying to fight freedom only leads to more and more violence and bloodshed, and the royal family has been a victim of exactly that. The state rightfully crushes the assassins and thugs with an iron right fist – yet, if the state fails to provide for its people with a caring left hand, all the efforts to suppress the violence are futile and will - in the end - only encourage more murderers to throw their bomb or fire their gun.”

“The people of Spain had apparently had to take the most extreme measures, and it is their decision. Foreign powers have no affair in correcting the people’s will. But more importantly, the same fate as Spain now threatens France – and do not cheer for such a fate, for it would mean more French blood being spilled. But it still can be prevented, if the people in power make right choices.”

“And luckily...” de Latouche concluded with a smile "Luckily, we can help them make these choices...”

Chamber of Deputies, Paris

“Monsieur le Président,

I would like to address and important issue which has so far been overlooked by the successive ministries and by many deputies, for I have not tracked any proposed legislation on the matter of the conditions of our Veterans.

Indeed, for decades, our beloved realm has been bled dry by constant warfare, depriving French families of their sons and heirs, leaving a gaping hole in the life of so many of our communities of which, the finest flower was mowed down in its tender age.

The nation finally has peace. The shadow of wars past is slowly receding backward into history. At this time, the proper occupation of the living is, first to honour our heroic dead, and next to repair the havoc, human and material, that surrounds us.

All across Europe, our country’s dead lay. In the earth which has resounded to the drums and the tramplings of many contests, they rest in the quiet of God’s acre, bravest of the world. At death, they sheathed in their hearts the sword of devotion, and now, from oft-stricken fields they hold aloft the Cross of Sacrifice, mutely beckoning those who would share their immortality. No words can add to their fame, nor, so long as gratitude holds place in men’s heart, can our forgetfulness be suffered to detract from their renown.

Isn’t it our solemn duty to care for the families of those who died on the battlefield for France? And in the struggle of the battlefield, should we be so pernicious as to evaluate under which flag they expired? I say no, for I say that France is greater than that.

And what is to be made of those who fought for France, bled for her and came home invalid? What is to be made of the widows of the heroes who sheated in their heart the sword of duty? As we speak, they are left to their own devices, often condemned to the most destitute living. For what is a women supposed to do, when her husband, her provider, is taken away from her and her age doesn’t allow her the prospect of marrying anew?

I believe it to be in the spirit of Christian Brotherhood, that we shall take care of our disabled veterans and the families of our glorious deads. Which is why I shall introduce the following bill, which I hope shall pique the interest of this Ministry, and generate the most helpful suggestions of improvements by all colleagues of this Chamber."

Loi sur la pension des militaires invalides et sur l’indemnisation des familles

1. Soldiers having fought in the French army and be rendered invalid or gravely handicapped shall be awarded a state pension.

2. The criteria governing the designation of invalidity and grave handicap shall be determined by the Ministry of War.

3. The amount of the pension shall be of an equitable salary to be determined by the Ministry of War, based on the yearly income of the realm most common profession.

4. Wives of soldiers slain on the battlefield shall be awarded an indemnity equal to fifteen times the salary which shall be given as a stipend to invalid and gravely handicapped veterans.

The Affairs of Europe (II)
July - December, 1820

ycZ7BvX.jpg

Portugal and Spain
Following the disturbing events of the first semester of the year, neighboring populaces were given inspiration by the insurrections. The next country to endure revolutionary outbursts was the United Kingdom of Portugal, Brazil and the Algarves. The movement was articulated in Porto, where groups of soldiers marched on the Campo de Santo Ovídio, and formed a parade; they heard mass and shot salvos of artillery before publicly announcing the uprising. At eight o'clock in the morning on August 24th, the revolutionaries gathered in the premises of the City Council, where they proclaimed the "Provisional Junta of the Supreme Government of the Kingdom," led by President-Brigadier António da Silveira Pinto da Fonseca. Manuel Fernandes Tomás, the editor of the "Manifesto of the Portuguese" elucidated the objectives of the movement to the nation. The movement had the support of all the country's social groups; the clergy, the nobility, the army, and the general population. The prominent demands in Tomás' declaration included a demand for the Cortes to establish a constitution for the country, defend the regal authority, and restore the rights of the Portuguese. Furthermore, the movement demanded the immediate return of the royal court to Portugal as a means of restoring the dignity of the former Metropolis, which had been displaced to Brazil, and the reinstatement of the Colonial Pact that guaranteed trade exclusivity with Brazil.

7NEJI3h.jpg

The revolution spread quickly to the other urban centers of the kingdom with limited resistance. Lisbon itself was the host of the Revolution, and on September 15th, the movement of junior officers, with support from the bourgeoisie and populace, deposed the Regents and formed an interim government. Thirteen days later, the governments of Porto and Lisbon united into a single entity, and set to the task of organizing elections for the national Cortes. The legislature was set to meet in January 1821 where a permanent constitution would be drafted. The movement spread as far as Madeira, the Azores, and reached the captaincy of Grão-Pará and Bahia in Brazil. It led even to an uprising by the military garrison of Rio de Janeiro itself.

In Spain, the new government of Evaristo Pérez de Castro embarked on an aggressive program of reform and amnesty. The Afrancesados, approximately twelve-thousand Spanish francophiles who were disciples of the French Revolution and the former King of Spain, Joseph Bonaparte, were allowed to return to Spain. Other reforms included the reorganization of Spain into fifty-two provinces, which reduced the autonomy of the regions; these reforms inspired antipathy for the liberal government in traditionally autonomous regions such as Aragon, Navarre, and Catalonia. The Roman Catholic Church was also targeted with anticlerical legislation, and attempts to normalize industrialization produced the alienation of the old trade guilds. Finally, the Spanish Inquisition was concluded for the second time; the move inspired critics of the new order to invoke the accusation that the new government was nothing more than the puppet of afrancesado sentiment.

Kwhd7yc.jpg

-
In Italy

The forced constitutionalism of King Ferdinand I of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was not sympathetic to the secessionism of the Sicilian revolutionaries; the delegation of July the 23rd by the revolutionaries to Naples was flatly rejected by the government. A month later, Ferdinand sent an army of 7,000 troops to combine with the garrison at Messina, which numbered another 7,000 loyalists, and placed under the command of General Florestan Pepe. The new army sought negotiations with the Sicilian government in order to put the decision of independence to the Parliament of Sicily after upcoming elections. The agreement was ratified on October the 5th from Palermo, but the newly elected parliament in Naples refused its consent, and eight days later, recalled Pepe and sent General Pietro Colleta to recapture the island with Pepe's army. A month later, the loyalists scored a string of bloody battles, and restored the monarchy in Sicily on the 22nd of November.
-
Congress of Troppau

Metternich was none too pleased by the disturbances in Spain; he was torn between following through on his conservative pledges (a policy favored by the Russians) and keeping out of a country in which Austria's interests were limited (favored by the British). For the moment, Metternich chose so-called "sympathetic inactivity" on Spain, resolved that the lessons of Peninsular War and the popularity of the new regime would vanquish any invader. But upon the revolt of Pepe in early July and Ferdinand I's acceptance of the new constitution, Metternich reluctantly agreed to attend a Russian-initiated Congress at Troppau in October. The Tsar, owing to his former liberalism, had conventionally been reluctant about the prospect of intervention, but now attempts on his throne had turned the Tsar towards conservatism. At Troppau, Metternich was assisted by the Russophile emigré, and the new French Foreign Minister, the duc de Polignac, in convincing the Tsar to come to Austria's perspective on intervention. Worried that Kapodistrias' influence over the Tsar might distract his efforts, Metternich asserted his conservative principles in a memorandum which attacked freedom of the press and initiatives of the middle class.

E4ORSdL.png

Guillaume Armand Marie Emmanuel de Chalançon, prince de Polignac, duc de Polignac
Metternich, Polignac, and Crown Prince Fredrich Wilhelm steered the Tsar to their point of view, and forced his confession: "Aujourd'hui je deplore tout ce que j'ai dit et fait entre les annees 1814 et 1818 ... Dites-moi ce que vous voulez de moi. Je le ferai. [Today I deplore everything that I have said and done between the years 1814 and 1818 ... Tell me what you want of me. I will do it.]" Lord Stewart and Viscount Castlereagh were recalcitrant towards Metternich's entreaties, and absolutely refused to consent to the principle of interventionism. For the first time, cracks were emerging in the Concert of Europe. The participating powers, with the exception of Great Britain, resolved to the following protocol;

"States, which have undergone a change of government due to revolution, the result of which threaten other states, ipso facto cease to be members of the European Alliance, and remain excluded from it until their situation gives guarantees for legal order and stability. If, owing to such alterations, immediate danger threatens other states the powers bind themselves, by peaceful means, or if need be, by arms, to bring back the guilty state into the bosom of the Great Alliance."

The Congress was dismissed in December and called for a Congress at Laibach in January; Polignac went to Vienna during the interim and prepared for now the practical discussions on Italian intervention. The issue of Spain, as a cause of Metternich's own reservations, remained off-the-table.