• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Scandal on Vacation
(Joint IC with @ThaHoward somewhere around late 1829 or early 1830)

Sophia had been most overjoyed, friendly faces from Paris had arrived, an old friend she had longed to see again ever since her departure. Not to mention him being a key to the mind of Orléans, which was a nice benefit. Sophia had bought a new dress and ensured that her husband and dressed up properly, along with her two sons, as she had invited Lécuyer and his family for dinner, having ordered an expensive meal to be brought by the hotel. Now waiting for them to arrive as the whole family was ready.

Lothaire and his family arrived to the hotel where Sophia and her family resided in. They had enjoyed their vacation and Vienna was supposed to be the last destination before the tour home. Lothaire simply told his family they were to visit an old friend of his, but of course he had something on his mind. Both pleasure and business.. Lothaire arrived with his wife and five children, and he made his daughter Marie-Louise, now 15 years of age, introduce them and grant the host and hostess their gifts.

Sophia and Adrien both smiled, greeting them all and happily accepted the gift as they thanked Marie for her generosity, before Adrien slowly nudged to Philippe. Making both Philippe, who by now was 13 years of age, and his younger brother, who was around 9, do a proper greeting as well.
“I am delighted that you could all arrive.” Sophia said, smiling to both Lothaire and his wife.

“We are delighted to be here aswell. I have to admit that Austria is most pleasant. It seem I have been wrong about those Germans as I was wrong about a great many things”. Lothaire said as he reached out his hand to Adrien. In turn he introduced all of his children who was Joachim, Jérôme, Jean-Louis and Stéphania - all at the age of 14, 12 and 10. Lothaire hoped they didn’t make certain connections from their names. Christine the wife of Lothaire then asked Phillippe and Joseph if they were perhaps interested in fencing or playing with her sons.

Philippe smiled as he looked at her, “It has been some time since I lasted fenced, so I’m afraid that I may be out of form. But I will happily fence again.”
While Joseph nodded, “That would be fun.” Making both Sophia and Adrien smile.
“It brings me joy that my sons finally have some company their age in this foreign land.” Sophia said as she kept smiling towards Christine.

“No worries little one. Hopefully you will all return to the motherland soon” Christine said formally. Lothaire then continued on the topic “Dear Baron, when are you planning to return home to France? Surely the kids most miss their homes”.

Adrien looked briefly at Sophia before he responded to Lothaire, “I’m afraid that we will be staying here for some time. The scandal unfolding in court and in the deputies is most near my new children’s persons, and as such I wish to shield them from the otherwise false lies that circulate Paris at this moment.”

“You have all our sympathies” Lothaire said and added “but the journalists and deputies thrive from dishonesty and scandal, they are truly infesting proper civil discussions from time to time. Hopefully all will fade away quickly”. Lothaire paused for a while as he took off his coat and continued “As you can see we have traveled far and I am afraid my kids are hungry and tired. Would it be possible to have snack or a small meal?”

Adrien smiled, “Of course.” Before Sophia stepped in, smiling at Lothaire.
“Surely I would not hope that you have begun to imagine me a bad hostess.” She said before motioning to an adjacent room. “We have prepared a feast for you and your family, it is not often that we receive old friends from home.” Sophia began walking into the other room, the table ready and chairs for all, “Please, sit, by all means.” She said as she herself went over to a chair and her children also found seats. “Philippe, Joseph.” She said turning to both of them, “Let us mingle as friends, please do spread out among our visitors, do not shield yourself off in a corner of the table.” She said before she turned to her husband, the Baron. “Perhaps, my dear, you would sit with Christine? if Lothaire does not mind keeping me company that is.”
Adrien just smiled as he motioned with his hand for Christine to sit next to him.

Christine accepted the offer and sat down politely, she was even somewhat proud to be seated next to a Baron. Lothaire took the hand of Sophia and gestured her to sit down as he whispered “Of course I know you are a great hostess. I’ve been looking forward to one of your.. parties” he whispered and sat down. Then he spoke out loud “We thank you for your kindness and your preparation for a feast in our honor. As such I would like to propose a toast to the host and hostess”.

Sophia just grinned at his earlier comment as they sat down, all raising their glass as he spoke up. “Thank you.” Adrien said as they toasted before Sophia said more quietly.
“You are most kind, as always.”

“I am indeed” Lothaire said and winked. “What is on the menu for the rest of the evening?”

“We are trying something experimental.” Sophia said most daringly. “We shall begin with some oysters. Which shall be followed by some venison, freshly caught of course, and then finish with a most delicious dessert.”

“Sound splendid. I look forward to the dessert, although I have to admit I doubt much can compete with what you offered me last time” Lothaire said and started to play with her legs, but he got to a more serious tone “now there is a matter I want to discuss with you. I hope we can get away with the unpleasantries before we.. do what we both desire the most”.

She made no attempt to stop him as she sipped a bit of wine, “Then you simply lack imagination.” She responded as they brought in the oysters, the servants walking around, letting the guests take oysters as they wished from the bowl. “But of course.” Sophia turned to him, “What is it that you wish?”

Lothaire took an oyster and barely got it down. He had never liked them, but he complimented it nevertheless as he didn’t want to come across as uneducated. “I look forward to that then. But the issue is your sons. They possess great talents, it would be a shame if they were to stay in Vienna forever or come under the guardianship of some low charcter in France” Lothaire said as he took another oyster. “I hope you don’t get offended, I merely wish the best for your family. What if I took them, or one, back to Paris and perhaps to the Palaise Royale?”

She laughed quietly as he ate the first oyster, looking over at her husband who was engaged in conversation with Christine before turning back to Lothaire, sighing quietly but keeping her smile. “We shall not remain in Vienna forever, just until things have settled down in France. As for their guardianship, they are my sons and I shall not forsake them to anyone. I thank you for the offer and I know you mean well, but for now I wish to keep my sons with me. It would not suit them well to continue moving, but we shall be back before too long.”

“I am glad you will return home eventually, perhaps we could meet more often. I do mean well and hope you take no offense and understand your desire to be around them. Of course you wouldn’t forsake them if they, or one of them, were under the tutelage of the Orléans”. Lothaire said and went over to another topic. “Now how do you find Vienna?”

Sophia shrugged, “It has its charms, but it is no Paris. The fashion and public is far too strict and conservative, not to mention they lack more cafes. But there are also some very kind people here. Philippe has recently been to a church which he greatly admired. A Peter’s church or the like.”

Lothaire listened to her as she spoke and thought that this might very well be the future of France, and dreaded the thought of that. “Well hopefully you will come back to a decent culture soon. How is this spa you spoke so highly of? Perhaps we are to make a visit later on, for desserts or after desserts I suppose”.

“I do hope so, once Paris relaxes a bit then I am sure we shall return most eagerly.” She said happily, blushing as she continued. “The spa is most excellent, it truly relaxes the spirit and body, I feel most healthy after bathing in its water.” She frowned slightly, “It is open in the morning, though.” She added, “There are some smaller spas open if one is willing to pay for it.”

“How nice, I heard it’s most good to have some morning baths” Lothaire said and drank from his drink. Then out of sudden his son Joachim proposed a toast to the brave French soldiers in Greece. “My little boy seem to be fascinated by Napoleon and the French army as of late. I hope it won’t get him into any trouble”.

Adrien raised his glass, making the rest of them raise theirs in support as Adrien spoke up “Napoleon is an impressive figure, though I'm afraid there is little to cheer for him about nowadays.”

Lothaire quickly responded “Yes good Baron, there is not much to cheer for him now. But at least in Greece Napoleon aren’t leading the French soldiers”. Lothaire then smiled to Sophia and asked her “how is your husband? Is he too making you sick as you was when I made a visit?”

Sophia took an oyster as she looked over to her husband, sending him a smile and a nod as Adrien began talking with Christine and Philippe again, while Sophia turned to Lothaire, looking at him sternly. “That is most rude to the host.” She said, sitting proudly as she looked at him speaking quietly, “My dear husband would never dare make me sick.”

“Pardon madame, perhaps I can make it up to you later?” He said and grinned “so he’s not giving you enough attention? I hope it will be corrected very soon” Lothaire said and continued to eat the oysters hoping that no one could see his dislike for the shellfish.

“Perhaps.” Sophia responded with a smirk as the next dish was brought in, the venison. “Though what of you, did you enjoy the trip here from France? Did you see the cities, eat the food and enjoy the cultures”

“Indeed I did” Lothaire said as he digged into the venison, this was much more to his liking. “Of course in France it was all politics. My family did see the cities and culture, I was stuck to all sorts of meetings and lunches and whatnot discussing policies, politics and ideology. It is tiresome” he said as he continued to consume the venison and thanked the Baron for the good meal. Then he continued “but Bavaria was interestingly enough to my liking. I rather enjoyed their culture, but I must say it can’t compete with proper English culture” he said and discreetly stroke her thigh.

“If you partook then perhaps I shall simply have to punish you.” She said as she finished her venison. “I can hardly accept such behavior.” She said as she sipped more wine and Philippe spoke up, looking towards Christine.
“So when can we go fencing?” the boy asked before Sophia was about to interrupt him, stopping herself at the movement of Lothaire’s hand.

Christine replied as polite as ever, oblivious what her husband was up to “For me you may go fencing whenever you like. But I am not the hostess nor your mother. You need to address our gracious hostess if you may leave the table” she said resolute.
Lothaire meanwhile asked Sophia “Excuse me madame, but punish me for what?” he said innocently and laughed.

Sophia turned to Christine, “I believe my son may wish to fence with yours as well, so it is not my choice alone. You are the guest, so I shall leave the choice with you.” Not responding to Lothaire while all eyes were on her.

“Very well, the boys may leave” she said and waited for them to leave “perhaps they are to form a friendship? I believe such an alliance would be beneficial for our two families” she said and surprised even Lothaire. “To friendship” she said and toasted.

They raised their glass once more, Sophia only sipping slightly this time as the boys left before turning to her husband. “Perhaps you would go with them, my love? I would rather not the younger ones be left alone at these later hours, certainly not while fencing.”
Adrien nodded, looking over at Lothaire, “Do you wish to join me?” He asked Loithare.

Lothaire reflected for a while over the proposition, he didn’t want to insult Adrien by rejecting his offer, yet it was his chance of being alone with Sophia. He then replied “I am willing to join you, as long as I don’t miss my desserts. That would be a real tragedy I am afraid”.

“Very well, we shall have you back before the cake.” Adrien responded as they left the room.

Lothaire joined Adrien outside and watched the boys fence and shouted a command out now and then or gave them advice for correction. He then asked the Baron: “Adrien, if I am allowed to call you that, what are your take on the recent events back home in Paris?” Lothaire said and watched the boys sparring.

Adrien kept his focus on the children, “It is a real shame, I hear it has brought the King quite some grief, not to even begin mentioning his ministers.” Adrien stood still, weighing the matter. “Something just seems off, I know Philippe certainly seems to think that what has happened was not what his father wished.”

"A shame indeed. It is unfortunate that you, your wife and her sons are tangled into all of this. I hope you know you have friends back home that will support you” Lothaire said and paused and sighed. “His ministers are interesting indeed.. Let us just hope France may be stable again soon”.

“I do hope so, Sophia has been rather unable to find proper rest as of late, the rumours do hurt her.” Adrien sighed as he looked at them fence, “But it shall pass I assume, either that or we have yet to see the final end of it.” Laughing as he continued, “I certainly would not mind if my new son in law was to inherit all that his brother claims.”

Lothaire laughed and spoke up “Yes you made quite the bargain. I am happy that you have found such a fine wife, many most envy you. But I am sure justice will be fulfilled to both your wife and son in law”.

“Of course, I have no doubt that God shall put things right.” The baron responded, “And yes, I have been made a most happy man.”

Lothaire smiled to Adrien and had to concentrate to put his mask on “You surely are. How long do they tend to fence?”

“Philippe can go on for hours.” Adrien said, almost proudly, though a hint of annoyance. “If you want you can go back inside, cake was never my strong suit regardless. I don't mind staying here a bit longer. If you fear you will miss the cake that much”

Welcome to Hell

”But why?” Philippe responded, ”I dont want to go there.”

“Because you are growing and you need to get a proper education.” Sophia responded as she sipped her coffee.

“Im not an Austrian, I am not going to serve in the Austrian army.” Philippe said, his voice raised as he looked at his mother.

“You won’t serve in the Austrian army, you will just receive your education here. It’s a renown academy, famous in Europe and the oldest of its kind. It would suit you well to be enlisted there.” Adrien added, supporting Sophia in her decision.

“Then let me return to France and enlist there. I am a son of France, a son of my father, I don’t want to be educated by some German bastard whom the French army made flee with their tails between their legs.” Philippe said, looking at both Sophia and Adrien.

“You are not returning to France!” Sophia said, an angry tone in her voice as she looked at Philippe.

Adrien sighed, sipping his coffee as well, “It is a good military school, one of the most prestigious, it will do you well to go there, you need an education. A military education will do you well, and offer you a proper job upon our return to France.”

“Then let me go back to France on my own, I am the son of the Prince of Condé, not the Archduke of Austria. Let me serve France.” Philippe tried once again, only to be shut down by Sophia once again.

“You are not returning to France! I told you this already and do not ask again. You will join the Theresian Military Academy, and you will become a worthy officer. It is not your choice and it is not up to debate.” Sophia said.

“And if I refuse?” Philippe asked defiantly.

“Then I shall strap you to the carriage and force you there, and then the teachers will beat it into you and you will stop the defiance which you so currently enjoy.” The Baron said, looking directly at Philippe having grown tired of the argument.

“I don’t want to.” Philippe said quietly.

“I don’t care.” Adrien simply replied.

Despite Philippe’s complaints and wishes, three weeks later he would stand in a courtyard, together with other children as an old officer walked in front of them. Yelling to them what their duty was, what would happen to them over the coming half dozen years. What they were to go through, and what they would be when they were done. Philippe had arrived in hell.

Jacques and Betty left the ball in the late evening as it was still in full flight. They had expressed their gratitude to the hosts, Hercules and Athena, for allowing them to join in a circle of society usually closed off to the Rothschilds. Jacques was reminded of his friend, de Valence, and his hospitality to Jacques, bringing the awkward young man into his exalted circle.

As they entered their carriage, Betty was intoxicated by an evening of dance and delightful conversation. She playfully reached for her husband who responded to his young wife's invitation. Jacques called up to the driver to take the slow way home so they could enjoy this moment alone, away from the children. As they revelled in the intimacy on that cool summer's eve, the sound of singing from a nearby café crept in.

"Can you hear the people sing?", Betty asked, still swimming in her joy.

Jacques listened, but a darkness grew on his face. "It is the song of angry men."

"Are they signing about sport?", as Betty heard the competing red and black cries.

"No, we must be passing through the Rive Gauche. They are signing of freedom and liberty. And violence. This is the music of a people who will not be slaves again", Jacques reflected in his shame at their costumes and revelry when the ranks of the poor were growing and the Cabinet's only solution was more repression.

Betty began to comprehend her husband's chagrin. Such frustration and resentment on such a beautiful night! Circumstance must be dire for people to openly voice their discontent.

A great shout rang out from the café. Betty sought comfort against her husband's chest. "Do not fear, my love! The beating of your heart is echoing like the beating of a drum! All will be well, you will see. The wrongs of today will be pass. A brand new life stands before us ready to start when tomorrow comes."

The Ministry of Saint Fulgent shall bring forth three laws for voting in the Chamber of Deputies and the Chamber of Peers.

I. This Act would enter into force upon signature and may be cited as the Poor Relief Act.

The Council of the Grand Almoner of France

II. The Council of the Grand Almoner of France (which shall be hereafter styled "The Council of Alms" ) is hereby be created as a part of the Ministry of the Royal Household. The said Council of Alms would be headed by the Grand Almoner of France and eight Masters of Alms, appointed by the King and serving at his pleasure. The members of the Council of Alms would be chosen equally from among the clergy and laymen.

Four members of the Council of Alms shall form a quorum..

In the absence of the Grand Almoner of France the members present at any meeting shall elect one of their number to preside thereat.

The Grand Almoner of France or other presiding member shall have an original and, in the event of an equality of votes, a casting vote, shall report weekly to the Minister of the Royal Household and monthly directly to the King on all matters under the jurisdiction of the Council of Alms.

III The members of the said Council of Alms shall derive no profit or emolument whatever for the discharge of the duties of their office, provided always that any necessary expenses incurred by the Council of Alms, or by members or a member thereof, or any committee authorised or appointed by the Council of Alms as hereinafter provided, shall be deemed to be part of the incidental expenses attending the execution of this Act and be paid accordingly; and an account of all expenses of the said Council of Alms hall be annually laid before the two Chambers.

IV. The Grand Almoner of France would be empowered to appoint a fit person to be Secretary to the said Council of Alms, and to supply any lesser vacancy which may occur in the said office of Secretary; and it shall be lawful for the said Council to assign to such Secretary the execution and performance of all such duties under this or any future enactment as the said Council may think fit.

V. Meetings of the Council of Alms

(a) The said Council of Alms shall hold four general meetings in each year, on the first Thursday of January, of April, of July and of October, or within twenty days after any of such fixed dates; and the said Council shall have power to adjourn from time to time for such time and to such place as it shall see fit. And it shall be lawful for the said Board to hold special or pro re nata meetings when directed by the Grand Almoner of France or by any three members.

(b) The said Council of Alms shall have an office in Paris, at which the ordinary business of the Council of Alms shall be conducted, and at which the meetings of the Board may be held.

VI. The Council of Alms shall have power, as often as it may deem fit, to appoint any two or more of its number as a committee for the purposes of this Act, and it shall be lawful for any such committee, in transacting the business committed to it, to exercise all the powers necessary for that purpose which are by this Act given to Council of Alms; and such committee shall be bound to report to the Council of Alms at such time or times as the Council of Alms shall direct, and failing such direction shall report to the said Council of Alms at its next general meeting.

VII. The Council of Alms may make rules for the better carrying out of this Act and generally in relation to the administration of poor relief and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing powers, the Council of Alms may make rules-

(a) for the control and management of poor relief and for the form and manner in which such relief may be given;

(b) for controlling the education of children whose education is a charge on poor relief funds (in parts not contradictory to Loi sur l'éducation des Fils et des Filles de France);

(c) for regulating and controlling the form, manner and kind of medical assistance which may be granted to persons under this Act;

(d) for the government, management and control of almshouses and of all poor relief institutions;

(e) forr making provision for, and controlling the boarding out of, children subject to poor relief;

(f) for controlling the duties of all poor relief officers and the manner of their performance of such duties.

(g) for the methods of raising funds for poor relief that are to be be used by the Parish Councils.

No such rules shall have effect until approved by the Minister of the Royal Household or the President of the Council of State or, ultimately, the King.

VIII. The Council of Alms would be empowered:

(a) to examine into the manner in which poor relief is administered in the several parishes, and in cases where it shall appear to the Council of Alms that the arrangements in any parish are defective to require the Parish Council of such parish to remedy such defect;

(b) to inspect and audit all books, papers and accounts of Parish Councils, in so far as they relate to the relief of the poor, and of all institutions maintained for the relief of the poor, and with the concurrence of the Minister of Justice to surcharge any officer on whose authority any excessive or unlawful expenditure was incurred with the amount of such excessive or unlawful expenditure in the absence of a reasonable explanation by such officer to the Council of Alms;

(c) to investigate and report to the Minister of Justice and the Minister of the Royal Household or the President of the Council of State or, ultimately, the King any charge preferred against a Staff Physician, such charges having been brought to its notice in writing and duly authenticated;

(d) to settle any question or difference arising between two or more Parish Councils or the officials of such Councils;

(e) to hear and decide appeals from poor persons who have been refused relief, or who may consider the relief afforded them inadequate; and

(f) generally it shall be the duty of the Council of Alms to see this Act effectually administered by the several Parish Councils, without injustice to the persons entitled to relief on the one hand, and with due regard to the interest of the taxpayers on the other, and so far as may be to secure unity of system in its practical administration throughout the Island.

IX The Council of Alms shall make a record of its proceedings, in which shall be entered minutes of all meetings held by it, or any committee appointed by it, and all resolutions passed and orders made by such Council, and all other matters which the Council of Alms may judge proper; and the said Council shall once in every year (or at any time on demand) submit to the Minister of the Royal Household, the President of the Council of State and the King a general report of its proceedings, which report shall contain in particular a full statement as to the condition and management of the poor throughout the Kingdom of France, and the funds raised for their relief.

X. The Council of Alms would be empowered to enquire into the management of the poor in every parish in the Kingdom, of France; and, for this purpose, the said Council of Alms is hereby empowered to make enquiries, and require answers or returns to be made to the said Council of Alms, upon any question or matter connected with or relating to the relief of the poor, and also by a summons, signed by a member or by the Secretary, to require the attendance of all or any such persons as it may think fit to call before it upon any such question or matter, and to administer oaths to and examine upon oath all or any such persons, and to require and enforce the production upon oath of all books, contracts, agreements, accounts and writings or copies thereof respectively, in anywise relating to any such question or matter; or in lieu of requiring such oaths as aforesaid the said Council of Alms may, if it thinks fit, require any such person to make and subscribe a declaration of the truth of the matters respecting which he shall have been or shall be so examined.

XI. Members of the Council of Alms may attend meetings of Parish Council. It shall be lawful for the members of Council of Alms or any of them to attend and be present at any meeting of a Parish Council, and to take part in the discussions so far as the same relate to the relief or management of the poor, but not to vote at such Council.

XII. The salaries of the Secretary to the said Council of Alms, and of all clerks, messengers and officers, the office expenses of the Board, and all incidental expenses attending the execution of this Act as provided herein that are not covered by charity, monetary grants from the local authorities or other alternative sources of income, shall be paid out of the funds of the Ministry of the Royal Household.

XIII. The Minister of the Royal Household shall from time to time place in the Treasury and/or the Chambers to the credit of the Council of Alms such sum of money as shall seem to him necessary to meet expenses authorised by this Act.

Parish Councils

XIV. Parish Councils to be managers of the poor in parishes

(a) The Parish Council in each parish shall be the managers of the poor under this Act, and the whole administration of the law for the relief of the poor shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, be under the direction and control of such Parish Council.

(b) Every Parish Council shall be constituted of-

(i) three members appointed by the mayor of the commune in question, upon approval of the chief magistrate (prefect) of the department in question;

(ii) three members appointed by the diocesan bishop of the diocese in question

(iii) six members are to be elected by the parshioners meeting the qualifications neccessary for the election of Deputies, iin accordance with the procedure set by the Council of Alms and take their seats upon approval of the Grand Almoner of France.

All members of the Parish Council serve for three years with the right of renomination. The appointing authority or the Council of Alms may at any time dismiss any members of the Parish Council. The Parish Council may make nonbinding recommendations and nominations to any of the appointing authorities regarding the appointment of the members of the Parish Council. The members of the Parish Council are considered to be holding a honorary position and, therefore, serve without monetary renumenaration.

(c) Every Parish Council shall, notwithstanding anything in this section, have power at any time to co-opt not more than three persons to assist in its deliberations, but no persons so co-opted shall have any right to vote on any matter voted upon by the Parish Council.

(d) The Grand Almoner of France would appoint one of the members of each Parish Council as its President.

(e) Three members of the Parish Council shall form a quorum.

(f) The Parish Council shall have power to regulate its own procedure.

(g) If any member of the Parish Council shall, without leave of the Parish Council first had and obtained, fail to attend six consecutive meetings of the Parish Council, his seat on the Parish Councilshall thereupon become vacant.

XV. Parish Council to meet and make up roll of the poor, and fix remuneration of Inspector of the Poor

Each Parish Council shall, on such day as may be fixed by the Council of Alms, meet for the purpose of making up, or causing to be made up, a roll of the poor persons claiming and by law entitled to relief from the parish, and of the amount of relief given or to be given to each of such persons, and such meeting shall make up or cause to be made up such roll as aforesaid with the least possible delay, and shall cause a copy of such roll to be affixed to the door of each Court house in the parish; and thereafter such Parish Council shall fix certain days and places on and at which the general meetings of the Board shall be held, and may adjourn such meetings from time to time and to such places as such Parish Council shall see fit:

XVI. Each Parish Council may appoint the Inspector of the Poor of each parish and/or other officials set out of the poor relief officers as set in the schedules issued by the Council of Alms regarding each parish.

XVII. No person shall be appointed to be an Inspector of the Poor or a Master or Matron of the almshouse unless that person has passed such examination and meet criteria as may be required by the Council of Alms , and the requirements of the Council of Alms.

XVIII. It shall be the duty of the Inspector of the Poor of each parish in relation to the administration of poor relief in the parish-

(a) to keep all the books, rolls, accounts and other documents relating to the management or relief of the poor in an efficient and proper manner and in accordance with directions given by the Parish Council and with any rules from time to time made, or instructions given, by the Council of Alms;

(b) to enquire into and make himself acquainted with the particular circumstances of each person receiving relief under this Act;

(c) to keep a record of all persons who have applied for relief showing the particulars of each such case;

(d) to keep a roll of all such persons and of the sums paid to them or on their account;

(e) to visit, and inspect personally at least twice in each year at his place of residence, every person receiving relief under this Act;

(f) to report to the Parish Council and to the Council of Alms all matters connected with the management of the poor;

(g) to perform in accordance with directions received from the Parish Council and in accordance with any rules from time to time made, or instructions given, by the Council of Alms, all duties relating to the administration of poor relief under this Act:

Provided that an Inspector may delegate in accordance with instructions received from the Parish Council or from the Council of Alms, all or any of such duties to an Assistant Inspector of the Poor.

XIX. Investigations by Parish Councils and the Council of Alms

(a) Where any Parish Council is of the opinion that poor relief is not being administered properly or efficiently in any place or district, or by any poor relief officer, in the parish, the Parish Council may hold an investigation into the administration of such poor relief.

(b) If after such investigation the Parish Council is of the opinion that any poor relief officer has been negligent in the performance of his duties, or is unfit, incompetent, or incapable, of discharging his duties, then such Parish Council may dismiss without notice or degrade any such officer, or may make such other order in relation to the administration of poor relief in the parish as it may think fit.

XXI. In the event of any question or difference arising between two or more Parish Councils, or the officials of such Councils, on matters relating to the relief of the poor, the same shall be referred and submitted to the Council of Alms, whose decision can be appealed to a higher authority or a court of law.

XXII. Parishes may unite for the purpose of building almshouses. With the concurrence of the Council of Alms had and obtained thereto, it shall be lawful for the Parish Councils of any two or more contiguous parishes to agree to build a common almshouse for such two, or more parishes, to be placed under the management of a Council of Alms to be appointed jointly by such Parish Councils, and the expense of maintaining and erecting such almshouse shall be borne by such parishes in such proportions as shall be agreed on by the Parish Councils of the said parishes respectively:

Provided always that if any such agreement for the purpose of building an almshouse has once been effected, it shall not be lawful for any one or more of the parishes to withdraw from such agreement without the consent of the Council of Alms previously had and obtained.

XXIII. From and after the passing of this Act no new almshouse shall be built, nor shall any existing almshouse be materially enlarged or altered, unless the site of such new almshouse shall have been approved of by the Council of Alms, and the plans of such new almshouse, or of such proposed enlargements or alterations, or the agreement to build a common almshouse, shall have been submitted to and approved by the Council of Alms, and signed, subscribed or endorsed, by at least four of the members of the Council of Alms in attestation of their approval.

XXIV. In every case in which an almshouse already exists, or shall be built or enlarged or altered under the provisions of this Acts the Parish Council shall frame rules and regular lions for the management of such almshouse, and for the discipline, employment and treatment, of the inmates thereof, and for the admission of any known minister of the religious persuasion of any inmate of such almshouse at all reasonable times, on the request of such inmate, for the purpose of affording religious assistance to such inmate, and shall submit such rules and regulations to the Council of Alms for approval; and no rules or regulations shall be effectual or shall be acted upon, except such as shall have been approved by the Council of Alms. In every almshouse there shall be a resident Master or Matron, or both.

XXV. The Parish Council of every parish, in which an almshouse has been or shall hereafter be erected, woiuld be empowered, at the request of any other Parish Council to receive and accommodate in such almshouse poor persons belonging to such other parish, and to charge to such last mentioned Parish Council sum rates for the man of such poor persons as shall be approved by the Council of Alms; and such poor persons shall be in all respects subject to the same discipline and treatment as the other inmates of the almshouse in which they are so accommodated.

XXVI. In every almshouse there shall be provided by the Parish Council proper medical attendance, medicines and appliances, for the inmates thereof, and for that purpose it shall be lawful for the Parish Council from time to time to nominate, appoint and remove, a properly qualified medical man (Staff Physician), who shall give regular attendance at such almshouse, and to fix a reasonable remuneration to be paid to him by such Parish Council:

Provided always that if it shall appear to the Council of Alms that such medical man is unfit or incompetent, or neglects his duty, it shall be lawful for the Board of Supervision to suspend or remove such medical man from his appointment and attendance:

XXVII In every parish it the Parish Council would be empowered and it is hereby required to provide for sick persons entitled to relief, medicines, medical attendance, nutritious diet, stimulants, sick-bed attendance, and suitable lodging and clothing, and to defray the funeral expenses of destitute persons who may die, all in such manner and to such extent as may seem equitable and expedient and be within the resources of the Parish Council in respect of available funds or otherwise, and to make provision for the education of poor children who are themselves, or whose parents are, in the receipt of parochial relief.

XXVIII. The Staff Physician of any parish or part of a parish shall be and he is hereby required to make monthly returns, according to a Form approved by the Council of Alms, to the Parish Council, of sick persons in receipt of relief within such parish or part of a parish, and the Parish Council shall send a copy of the same to Council of Alms.

( a) The said Staff Physician shall also, at the request of the Inspector of the Poor, examine any applicant for poor relief, or any person in receipt of relief, and report in such form as may be approved by the Council of Alms. He shall give to the Parish Council and to the Inspector, when required, any reasonable information respecting the case of any such person as aforesaid under his care, make a written report relative to any sickness prevalent among the poor of his District, as the Parish Council or the Council of Alms hall require him to do so, attend the Parish Council when summoned by direction of the President of the Parish Council for any special cause to be named in the notice of summons, give a certificate under his hand to the Parish Council or the Inspector of the Poor of the nature of the sickness of any sick person in receipt of relief, or other cause of his attendance on such person, when required to do so by the Parish Council or the Inspector.

(b) In every parish, lists of all persons in the receipt of out-door parochial relief, and residing within the Parish or District of any such Staff Physician, shall be prepared by the Inspector every three months, and a copy furnished to such Staff Physician, and a ticket shall be furnished to each such person certifying that such person's name is on such list.

(c) Every such Staff Physician shall duly and punctually attend upon and prescribe for all persons in receipt of relief requiring medical or surgical assistance within the district to which he is appointed, whenever he shall be thereunto required by a written or printed order from the Parish Council or the Inspector, or in cases of sudden and urgent necessity from a member of the Parish Council, or by the production on the part of any poor person of the said ticket furnished by the Parish Council. Such attendance shall be at the respective houses of such sick persons if they are unable to attend at the residence of such Staff Physician or at a public dispensary.

XXIX . The persons entitled to relief in any parish are the persons within the parish who are wholly destitute of the means of subsistence, and are at the same time from mental or physical causes unable to work and earn the means of subsistence:

Provided always that under exceptional circumstances of destitution, arising from drought, epidemic disease or such like causes, the Parish Council of any parish as the case may be may afford temporary relief to persons who are wholly destitute, though they may not be unable from mental or physical causes to earn the means of subsistence; such exceptional circumstances and relief shall in each case be forthwith reported to the Council of Alms by the Parish Council.

The requirements for receipt of the poor relief

XXX. In every case in which a person in any parish shall apply for parochial relief, the Inspector shall be bound to make enquiry forthwith into the circumstances of the applicant, and shall, if he appear to the Inspector to be a person legally entitled to parochial relief, be bound to furnish him with sufficient means of subsistence until the next meeting of the Parish Council; and such Inspector shall continue to afford to such person such interim maintenance as may be necessary until his claim to relief be dealt with by such Council; and every Inspector to whom application shall be made by or on behalf of any person for parochial relief shall be bound to return an answer to such application within twenty-four hours from the time when it was made:

Provided always that, if the necessary means of support are afforded to the applicant in the meantime, such Inspector may delay giving a final answer to such application for any period which to him may seem necessary for prosecuting his enquiries:

Provided also that any applicants as aforesaid shall be bound to give to the Inspector and the Parish Council of the parish to which he has applied for relief all information and assistance which it is in his power to give on every matter regarding his case which the Inspector or the Council may desire to ascertain, and shall be bound to answer, upon oath if required, all such questions as may be put to him before any Justice and in case of false swearing, shall be liable to be prosecuted for perjury.

And it is hereby declared that it is no answer to a claim far relief that the claimant has relatives able or bound by law to support him, and assistance cannot be refused when the applicant is in such a state of necessity bodily or mentally, as fairly entitles him to relief. In all such cases it shall be the duty of the Inspector to provide the needful sustentation in the first instance and afterwards to proceed against those persons who are bound by law to aliment or assist the relieved.

XXXI. The application shall be made to the Inspector of Poor of the parish wherein the destitute person or child, on whose behalf the application is made, has his usual place of abode and shall be deemed to be the application of such destitute person or child and the provisions of this Act shall apply to applications under this section in like manner as they apply to applications under this Act:

Provided that where any act or thing is authorised or required to be done to or by the applicant under the provisions of this Act that act or thing, save and except the grant or payment of parochial relief, shall be done to or by the person who makes the application authorised by this section.

XXXII. Anything in this Act to the contrary notwithstanding, it shall be lawful for the Inspector and he is hereby required, in case any person not entitled under this Act to relief shall apply to him for temporary relief, and shall represent himself to be starving, and the Inspector shall have reason to believe that such person's life is in danger from starvation, to grant such person such temporary relief as may seem to him to been necessary, and in such form as may appear to him advisable.

XXIII. In every case of refusal of relief the Inspector shall deliver to the applicant who has been refused relief a certificate' signed by the Inspector, which shall certify the fact, the grounds and the date of such refusal, and set forth the name of the person so refused, such certificate shall be delivered as aforesaid in all cases whether the same is demanded by the applicant or not; and in the case of any person desiring to lodge with the Council of Alms a complaint of refusal of relief or of inadequate relief the Inspector shall, on application, furnish to such person a printed Form of Application and Schedule for the use of such person, and if required by the applicant so to do shall fill up the Schedule in any terms the applicant may desire.

XXIV. Every such Application and Schedule before being transmitted to the Council of Alms must be signed by the person complaining with his name, or with a mark attested by one witness.

XXV. The Inspector in each parish shall be deemed within such parish to be the Almoner, or other officer appointed by the Parish Council to administer the funds available for the relief of the poor of the parish, and every Parish Council is hereby enjoined, and every Inspector is hereby directed and enjoined, to enforce the provisions of the said Acts in every case in which the same are applicable, and not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act.

XXVI. A Parish Council shall not be required in any year to incur expenditure under this Act in excess of the amount provided for poor relief in the annual estimates, unless the Parish Council first consents to such excess expenditure.

I. Recognizing the sinful practices of money lending at extreme interests now plaguing our Christian Kingdom, the King has seen fit to call for its redress.

II. All loans made after the adoption of this act by the King must be made with an interest rate not exceeding 2% interest.

III. All loans made before the adoption of this law shall maintain their original interest rate except those which were made exceeding 15% interest, these loans being amended to 10% interest going forward for the duration of the time before the loan is payed back in full.

I. All efforts to expand iron mining in Lorraine will be subsidized by the Crown at a rate of 30% the initial cost of investment.

II. The cost of maintaining any new iron businesses in Lorraine will be further subsidized by the Crown at 10% of the cost per year for the first four years of operation.

III. Tariffs on the imports of pig iron shall be increased to 30% effective January 1st, 1831.

Err, I'm going to have a rolling legislation proposal period/debate period until voting opens at 10 PM tomorrow, unless...

Henri Bourbon practically explodes out of his chair when the explanation of the laws has concluded, barely giving the President time to acknowledge him before launching into his oration.

"Esteemed colleagues, I am outraged by this latest assault upon the social and material fabric of our nation! The clerical party, not content with having offered up the education of our children and the children of your constituents to the Church, now seeks wholesale reversion to a system of morality dictated entirely by Rome!

If we were to adopt a law ending the practice of charging variable rates of interest, all commerce and industry in our nation would come crashing to a halt! Our economy would cease to function! Our banks, our merchants, all would crumble! We would be reduced to an agrarian economy, no better than the age of plague and famine -- and I suspect that is its aim.

But that is not the most insidious element of this latest bill. By declaring interest to be usury and therefore a Biblical sin, punishable by law, the King's Ministry establishes itself as the legislator of public morality. It arrogates to itself an incredible amount of authority, and bases that authority not on the Charter but on Scripture. What sin will they legislate next? Will work on the Sabbath be punishable by public stoning? When will the Jesuits return? What after that? The Inquisition? Will heretics and blasphemers burn at the stake?

Esteemed colleagues, this is entirely too much. We have extended tolerance and understanding so many times, only to be greeted with high-handed arrogance and a complete disregard for our place as the representatives of the people.

It is clear that the Ministry and the King are intent upon restoring divine absolutism and eroding tolerance and civility within our nation. The King has appointed a legion of fanatics and absolutists, a Jesuit Ministry to replace his headless monstrosity, and they lash out without regard for decency. All men of tolerance and clear thought will now see the chains being forged, the shackles being fitted to their wrists and ankles.

I say that, until such time as the minority Ministry seeks the advice and input of the Chamber in assembling a new legislative slate, I shall not accept their proposals! I call upon all men of honor and virtue in this Chamber and in the Peers to cease traffic with the Ministry and to oppose all of its measures, no matter their content!

If the King and his Ministry will not stand for justice and sanity, then it falls to us to remind them of their duty! If they shall not awaken to the truth, then they shall not have our acquiescence! No law without consultation! No legislation without cooperation!"

Copies of the speech are sent to the major liberal papers, with instructions to reprint it without waiting for Ministry authorization.

On behalf of His Majesty, King Charles X, the Ministry further proposes:

Law on the Protection of the Church

Recognizing the recrudescence in theft and defamation of the churches throughout France, the following is put forward as a means to bring such to an end, and restore the strength, awe and respect that the Holy Roman Catholic Church so rightfully deserves;

I. Profanation of vessels containing holy objects is to be classified as a severe offense, with the action punishable by fifteen to fifty years forced labour; the length of sentence is to be decided by the courts in relation to the seriousness of the crime.

II. Profanation of vessels containing consecrated hosts is to be classified as a severe offense, with the action punishable by fifty years forced labour or death; the sentence is to be decided by the courts in relation to the seriousness of the crime.

III. Profanation of the host itself is to be classified as an extreme offense, with the action punishable by death; the courts have no ability to alter the sentence.

IV. Persons twelve and below are exempt from Articles I - III.

V. Persons between thirteen and sixteen are exempt from Articles I - III, and are afforded a maximum sentence of ten to fifteen years forced labour.

Law on the Restoration of the Assembly of the French Clergy

Recognizing the need for the French Clergy to defend the interests and strength of the Church and to gather in order to better develop the assets and responsibilities of the Church in France, this measure shall;

I. Every five years beginning in the year of 1831 the Assembly of the French Clergy shall assemble in a place of their own choosing.

II. The Assembly shall include all the bishops of France as well as two members of the lower clergy from all Departments of France.

III. The purpose of this Assembly shall be to apportion the financial situation of the clergy in France and to coordinate the monetary operations of the Church.

IV. The Assembly of the French Clergy shall be empowered by the Crown to use the funds granted to the Church in whatever way they see fit. Henceforth, the Assembly of the French Clergy has the right to set the level of its own taxation in all ways.

V. The Assembly of the French Clergy shall decide the salaries of all Church employees.

Last edited:
TOMORROW.

After the Proposal of the Laws
0:04 - 99KingHigh wondering about the future of the game, and anticipating the next accusation of GM bias.
0:19 - Henri Bourbon, reciting his love (and longing) for his wife.
0:32 - Madame Bourbon, the Marquise, in the summer chateau, missing her husband.
0:45 - Naxhi, complaining about GM and player neglect of his characters.
1:13 - Who else, but the Captain?
1:17 - Henri, debating his loyalty to his liberal brethren, and the Bourbon Monarchy.
1:42 - Saint Fulgent, and Maxwell, wrapped into one.
1:54 - Obviously, Les Hommes, and their devious membership.
2:05 - The Masons Lodge. RIP Piombino.
2:06 - Philipe, in spirit at least...

2:13 - Duval, probably cooking up some financial solution.
2:23 - Cazal; writing his next novel.

2:25 - self-explanatory.
3:00 - The mood in Paris.

-
Do nothing violent; simply wait, unless you have speeches to give, or newspapers to print without authorization.

Last edited:
Henri Bourbon practically explodes out of his chair when the explanation of the laws has concluded, barely giving the President time to acknowledge him before launching into his oration.

"Esteemed colleagues, I am outraged by this latest assault upon the social and material fabric of our nation! The clerical party, not content with having offered up the education of our children and the children of your constituents to the Church, now seeks wholesale reversion to a system of morality dictated entirely by Rome!

If we were to adopt a law ending the practice of charging variable rates of interest, all commerce and industry in our nation would come crashing to a halt! Our economy would cease to function! Our banks, our merchants, all would crumble! We would be reduced to an agrarian economy, no better than the age of plague and famine -- and I suspect that is its aim.

But that is not the most insidious element of this latest bill. By declaring interest to be usury and therefore a Biblical sin, punishable by law, the King's Ministry establishes itself as the legislator of public morality. It arrogates to itself an incredible amount of authority, and bases that authority not on the Charter but on Scripture. What sin will they legislate next? Will work on the Sabbath be punishable by public stoning? When will the Jesuits return? What after that? The Inquisition? Will heretics and blasphemers burn at the stake?

Esteemed colleagues, this is entirely too much. We have extended tolerance and understanding so many times, only to be greeted with high-handed arrogance and a complete disregard for our place as the representatives of the people.

It is clear that the Ministry and the King are intent upon restoring divine absolutism and eroding tolerance and civility within our nation. The King has appointed a legion of fanatics and absolutists, a Jesuit Ministry to replace his headless monstrosity, and they lash out without regard for decency. All men of tolerance and clear thought will now see the chains being forged, the shackles being fitted to their wrists and ankles.

I say that, until such time as the minority Ministry seeks the advice and input of the Chamber in assembling a new legislative slate, I shall not accept their proposals! I call upon all men of honor and virtue in this Chamber and in the Peers to cease traffic with the Ministry and to oppose all of its measures, no matter their content!

If the King and his Ministry will not stand for justice and sanity, then it falls to us to remind them of their duty! If they shall not awaken to the truth, then they shall not have our acquiescence! No law without consultation! No legislation without cooperation!"

Copies of the speech are sent to the major liberal papers, with instructions to reprint it without waiting for Ministry authorization.
Furious with the anti-Usury Law, the editors of Le National reprint Henri Bourbon's speech on the floor of the Chamber, in addition to other statements made Deputies against the proposal. The editors do not bother going to ask the duc de Orleans' approval but rumor has it another figure close his Royal Highness has given a wink and a nod to the action. The speeches are thus published without pre-clearance or forewarning to the Ministry of Justice.

Chateau de Descombes
Doubs

"Bastards!" shouted Robert Descombes as he chucked a book at the door. This was insanity! How could anyone do this?

Alexandre, narrowly dodging said, walked into the room. "Bad time? I could come back..."

"Sit down!" shouted Robert. Alexandre had never seen his dad this angry before, and for once it was probably not related to something Alexandre did. Alexandre sat down quickly, for when his dad got enraged, it was best to just do everything he said.

Robert slammed a paper on the desk in front of Alexandre. "Read." said Robert in a quieter yet still hostile tone.

Alexandre picked up the paper, and read it. It was an Anti-Usury bill. It was chalked full of limitations on interest, cancelling out loans over a certain amount starting the next year. "This is ridiculous..." said Alexandre.

"It is a declaration of war!" shouted Robert. "It is a declaration of war against us, other financiers, men of business, the whole Bourgeois class!" said Robert. "This could ruin us in days! It could topple everything I have worked for over these past decades!" said Robert. "Those f---ing Edges are going after us, Alexandre!" said Robert.

"What do you want me to do?" asked Alexandre. This was his inheritance on the line, and his father's fortune. He couldn't just sit back.

"Go! Go to Paris, find all those in opposition against the Usury Bill, unite them, fund them, do whatever it takes. That bill will die in the Chamber, or I swear to the heavenly father above..." Robert stopped as he clutched his side, he stumbled back against the bookshelf, knocking over a few books in the collision. Alexandre rushed over to him, but Robert waved him off. "I'm fine, fine I say!" he said as he got back on his feet. "Go, we must ensure that this bill never see's the light of day ever again. You are young, they will listen to you over me. I will provide you with whatever funds you need to ensure this happens. Go!" said Robert. Alexandre rushed out of the room, and ordered a carriage to be drawn as quickly as possible.

A Letter to Jacques Mayer de Rothschild and Thibaut Duval ((@Davout and @MadMartigan))

Sir

The ministry's proposed bill on drastically lowering interest rates on loans and crippling the banking industry, as well as commerce and industry in general, is nothing more then a declaration of war against the financial industry in France. As a prominent representative of this industry, our families and our businesses must unite to defeat this foe in the Chamber. On behalf of Descombes and Company, I invite you to join us in pooling our resources to ensure that this bill is destroyed in the Chamber and ensure that it never reaches the Tuilieries. A similar letter has been sent to other prominent financiers in France. Our entire industry as it risk here, monsieur. We must do whatever is needed to protect it.

-Alexandre Descombes of Descombes and Company

A Letter to Jacques Mayer de Rothschild and Thibaut Duval ((@Davout and @MadMartigan))

Sir

The ministry's proposed bill on drastically lowering interest rates on loans and crippling the banking industry, as well as commerce and industry in general, is nothing more then a declaration of war against the financial industry in France. As a prominent representative of this industry, our families and our businesses must unite to defeat this foe in the Chamber. On behalf of Descombes and Company, I invite you to join us in pooling our resources to ensure that this bill is destroyed in the Chamber and ensure that it never reaches the Tuilieries. A similar letter has been sent to other prominent financiers in France. Our entire industry as it risk here, monsieur. We must do whatever is needed to protect it.

-Alexandre Descombes of Descombes and Company

((Private))

Young Man,

We live in a world of chaos. I ask that you be not hasty. Always consider your family and your position. You live not only for yourself, but for generations hence and for the sake of your forefathers before you. I of course appreciate your efforts in defeating this bill in the Chamber and will support you fully, but you must be circumspect. In all things you must respect the power of those whose fortunes are far older than ours, and strive for ways to work around and with them. I am sure that a bright young man like yourself will find the right way.

With fellow feeling,
Thibaut Duval

((Private))

Young Man,

We live in a world of chaos. I ask that you be not hasty. Always consider your family and your position. You live not only for yourself, but for generations hence and for the sake of your forefathers before you. I of course appreciate your efforts in defeating this bill in the Chamber and will support you fully, but you must be circumspect. In all things you must respect the power of those whose fortunes are far older than ours, and strive for ways to work around and with them. I am sure that a bright young man like yourself will find the right way.

With fellow feeling,
Thibaut Duval

A Letter to Thibaut Duval ((@MadMartigan))

Sir

I apologize if my last letter seemed hasty in terms of reasoning and course of action. This bill though shows that the current ministry is actively opposed to our line of work. I still wish though for the Seine Bank and Descombes and Company to unit in opposition towards this bill, but I will heed your advice on this matter as my senior. We must ensure that the opposition is united against it, for if we do not stand strong together, it will pass and hurt the economy of France. Allow me to help you and the opposition in whatever capacity is possible to ensure that this bill is defeated in the Chamber. Descombes and Company stands with them.

-Alexandre Descombes

A Letter to the Marquis of Armentiéres ((@etranger01))

My Lord

The recent "Anti-Usury" proposition by the ministry is an insult to the banking industry as a whole. As such, Descombes and Company and myself wish to help the Chartist opposition do whatever it can to help see this bill defeated in the Chamber.

-Alexandre Descombes

((Private Letter to Alexandre Descombes @naxhi24 ))

Dear Sir

I thank you most heartily for your letter. I had been meaning to write to you after our conversation at the d'Armentieres' ball, but events have overtaken such convivial times.

I agree most heartily with your sentiments. In point of fact, I had intended to liaise with yourself and M. Duval with a view to forming a Banking Association (Association des Banques Francaise) as I had already seen that the Government had turned its back on finance and industry some time ago.

The Rothschild Freres are prepared to finance such opposition as may be required to defeat these bills, not merely the Usury Bill, but the other archaic legislation that seeks to enslave the population to the Church and the ancient regime. We stand by your side, not just for our interests but the interests of all of the French people. Liberty must stand again and hold forth the banner of the abused.

Your obedient servant

Jacques de Rothschild

((Private letter to Thibaut Duval @MadMartigan ))

My Dear Thibaut

I have received a letter from M. Descombes in respect of the insanity recently proposed by the Government.

To be frank, my family has endured such sanctimonious rubbish as Usury Laws before, so that in itself causes only mild concern. My greater concern is that the government has no solution to the growing poverty of our Nation except to slaughter our economy and feed the scraps to the poor. They have no idea of the anger which is reported to me daily the managers from our coal mines and from the superintendants of my factories. THe people are seething. They want jobs, not alms. This lunacy must be stopped before we face an explosion that will put 1789 in the shade.

I trust that you are joining us in opposing Fulgent's folly. Your experience as a minister must surely have opened your eyes to the fact that there can be no extemporising with these people. They take us for granted and will not rest until they wring every drop of blood out of the bourgeoisie and peasantry, never thinking to put a hand into their own enormous pockets.

I have alerted Comte Morand to place the security guards on alert at the Carbon Francais mines in case of further Ultra insurgencies. He has amassed a significant reserve of arms and powder if it comes to having defending our interests.

Yours in amity and fidelity

Jacques de Rothschild

The Duc de Saint-Aignan speaks up in the Chamber of Deputies, in his capacity as the Minister of State.

Esteemed M. President,

I must confess that I, while I am not the author of the law, I find it strange that M. le Marquis de Armentieres labels the new anti-usury bill as something unique and clerical in nature. In this country it has been a common practice to regulate interest rates, setting their limits as to prevent usurous credit and loansharking. For example, the anti-usury law of 1807, passed under Bonaparte (whom, I believe. M. le Marquis de Armentieres could hardly call a "Jesuit") set such limits regarding the commercial and private loans. Quite similar regulations exist in the foreign countries as well, for example, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which has antiusury regulations since year 1660. These regulations set clear limitations regarding received interest . Therefore I would hardly call these approaches new or clerical and am at loss that (while one is absolutely free to disagree with the concrete set of the interest limitations), why one would doubt the principle itself, a princtple that has been quite commonly practiced by the government in order to defend the poor from the loans made on unfair conditions.

I must also state that some of the members of this Chamber. like M. le Marquis de Armentiere and M. Duval. have forgotten about the demands of civility and decency that exist in regards of the language that the members of the Chamber of Deputies should use in respect of the Royal Majesty and agents of public authority. By excelling at insults and defamation, by behaving like quarrelsome children instead of grown men summoned, under the royal Charter of 1814, to discuss matters of state, they are undermining the dignity of the body they represent and the trust of these who sent them there for constructive work.

M. le Marquis de Armentieres has spoken of consultations between the Ministry and the Chamber. I do agree that that such consultations could guarantee harmonious legislation. However, there is a simple rule - who wants respect, gives respect. While preaching tolerance, M. le Marquis de Armentieres uses most intolerant and violent language, for example, regarding a certain religious order, the name of which has been using as something derogatory. By his actions, instead of creating cooperation between the bodies of state and different political groups, he only creates confrontation and widenes the gap between them. M. le Marquis de Armentieres also seems to have, due to his financial grievances, forgotten about the oath of allegiance he has sworn to his King upon taking of a public office and has been using the language of hostility towards the Crown itself.

I ask these venerable gentlemen to reconsider such a course.

- SAINT-AIGNAN

Last edited:
Chamber of Deputies.

"M.President,

Did we not vote down the anti-sacriledge act? Did we not come to reason? To see that such an act would only inflame the population and serve no other than the clergy? It is a symbolic act.

Yet now the Ministry continue on with their proposed laws that do not have a support among the populace nor the Deputies!

They may have given the law a new name of "Law on Protection of the Church", but it's still the law this very Chamber voted down.

The law call for extreme measures as death penalty. It violate the Charter. The Charter give all French religious freedom. But this law enable religious persecution. We can't allow this law to pass through in the name of freedom of thought and religious freedom. We are not the judges of God, we can't do his work. Such thoughts are blasphemous.

Let reason guide us again and vote down this attempt to restrict the rights provided to all of France. Let us follow the Happy Medium. Let us not give roots to anti-clerical dogmas and unfound Jesuit conspiracies.

Vote for reason, moderation and the Charter. Oppose such proposals!"

"Yes, I have seen some of the positive effects of your efforts on our causes' behalf in the streets. Why, I was passing through the front of the Palais-Royal and the beggars were respectfully demanding alms instead of shaking their fists towards my carriage and pelting my guards with rotten food. Imagine that! The masses can be quite fickle but I suppose as long we maintain a slow burn of events and continue the grain dole we can shift to ramping up efforts if need be. Take care not to overdo the matter and make sure you grow your contacts with in the lower classes to ensure an orderly distribution of aid. These programs will benefit many of your former Veteran's League members and those in the former National Guard reliant on whatever residual privileges such voluntarily service brought to their families.

"I will warn you, as my sisters and other would probably not do so because they're more 'Orleanist' than I myself... while I would not be directly attacked for my efforts you are in a position to be targeted as my proxy. He who controls the Parisian mob controls Paris and he who controls Paris controls the government; those who desire power over their fellow man might interpret our efforts to ameliorate the plight of the unfortunate will accuse us of all sorts of tomfoolery. Remember, the tallest blade of grass gets cut down first. Do not overly make of yourself a lightning rod for controversy, my dear deputy."

"I thank you for your warning, but I am willing to expose myself for the greater good. The words you gave me to get me back into politics have stuck with me ever since.

I see the National released some rather radical statements from your nephew. I do not oppose them, but I fear the repurcussions it might have on your own person.

Considering this I am to make you an advise, in all humility. Let the paper be run by Thiers, Mignet, Carrel and Sautelet and withdraw your person entirley. Then it may function still as THE opposition paper while not endagering yourself. Laffitte, Broglie etc will of course still support the paper financially.

Then the paper may in earnest advocate the King rules, but he do not govern". Perhaps also men as Cazal and Artraud should be employed? I have also heard stories of a Capitaine Mateo Gagnon popular among former National Guards. Perhaps he would be a fine addition.

I hope you consider my proposals and take then to your advisors and sister for council, but the final decisions rest with you".

220px-Desnos_-_Casimir_Pierre_Perier.jpg

Préfet et Député Victor Durand du Nord
The Last of the Moderates
«Monsieur Président de la Chambre,»

«Firstly, I wish to thank my colleagues for their warm welcome back to the benches of Prudent opposition, after fulfilling my duty towards France as Foreign Minister. But as I return to these benches, I must note that the replacement of my colleagues and myself with those of the most extreme right, those clining to the droit divin and having done nought for France but bringing their former master, le Duc de Sully, to his demise by supporting him in his malign designs to disarm the most loyal citizens of France, the members of the National Guard. And again, these Extremists seek to squander the inherint constructiveness of this House and the Other Place on another vile attempt to destroy the freedom of thought, which all French citizens may now enjoy, with the passage of another Anti-Sacrilege Law.»

«I must ask, on what ground, Messieurs les Ministres, do you stand here once again seeking to destroy that Freedom enshrined in the Charter and beloved by those both in- and outside this House? I must ask, on what ground, Messieurs les Ministres, do you stand here once again seeking to destroy that Freedom, which has before and shall again be defended from your malign designs by this Chamber? I must ask you, on what ground, Messieurs les Ministers, do you stand here once again seeking to destroy that Freedom and with it peace, stability and prosperity in France? I must ask, on what ground, Messieurs les Ministres, do you stand here once again seeking to destroy that Freedom which His Most Christian Majesty, the King, the only one to whom you subscribe any loyalty, swore to uphold together with the Charter?»

«Therefore, Monsieur Président, I cannot but ask you, Messieurs les Ministers, stand by the King's word, join us in the Name of Prosperity, Prudence and France in the voices of opposition to this most horrid bill or face the truth that this Chamber, and the respected electors which elected us, have held steadfast in their opposition to this Anti-Sacrilige Law, as it clearly violates the Charter and the Oath of King Charles X. Thus, I say again, repeal the Bill, or see it defeated once more by the Prudence of France!»

«Merci, Monsieur Président.»