• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JonReb

Second Lieutenant
27 Badges
Nov 25, 2006
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Semper Fi
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
Revival of the Roman Empire​
Eagle_with_fascessvg.png

The Roman Empire was once the most powerful nation of the ancient world stretching across large portions of Europe, Africa, and the Middle-East until its decline in 476 AD. Now, in the year 1936, the ancient city of Rome is the capital of a much smaller and unimportant nation in the world, Italy. With the rise of Fascism a new Emperor has come and sets his eyes for the revival and reunification of the Roman Empire.

Mussolini_young.jpg

Benito Mussolini has a tough task ahead of him; Italy is only a small part of the many empires crowding the Mediterranean. He will have to defeat many of the major powers of Europe, and no doubt they will not concede their territories easily.

Game Settings:

HOI2 Arma 1.1a
Experience of WW2 Mod
Italy, 1936
AI Difficulty/Aggressive: Normal/Normal

House Rules:
For the most part there will be absolutely no cheating except for the occasions where I think it is necessary to use acceptall for peace negotiations or nofog to show charts, intelligence, etc. I will not be using any gamey exploits to defeat the AI. I will not be adding any cores to territories until later in the game, this is for the fact that the population will not immediately accept rule under the "Roman Empire". I will not rush techs, switch doctrines, buy divisions, etc. Basically I want to keep it as realistic as possible.

Early Goaly: Build up the current industry and increase military standards. Finish off Ethiopia and then begin conquests.
Long-Term Goal: Reclaim and recreate the Roman Empire! This map shows the minimum I will accept as The Roman Empire. Anything extra is just sauce.

RomanEmpire.jpg

Last edited:
Eagle_with_fascessvg.png

Italy is a complete mess. Technology is behind, the economy is lackluster, and the military is a joke - This nation needs total reorganization to ever be considered the new Roman Empire.

We are currently at war with Ethiopia and it should be quickly defeated. Their pathetic army of sword weavers and spear men will be easily swept aside. All land forces are ordered to advance to the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa and the Italian Air force is rebased at Massau to support the advance and give the pilots much needed experience.

79778985kj4.jpg

The rest of the land forces in Italy and North Africa are sent to Rome for reformation. The entire Italian Navy is also ordered to reform in Taranto.

Italian scientists begin a new series of research. The scientists will need to catch up quickly to meet the same standards of more powerful nations.

95611422my7.jpg

The economy is weak; resources are going into decline for even the small and inadequate industry that Italy has. Mussolini starts a huge and ambitious industry construction plan within the provinces of south Italy. Resource trading begins with major powers. This plan will take almost two years to complete but will be greatly beneficial to raise the power of Rome.

75534652ku2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, hopefully you stay the course and finish this thing!

*subscribed*

Eagle_with_fascessvg.png

2673259.jpg

On January 13, 1936 Bennito Musolini made an iconic announcement to his country. He made a clear proclamation of Italy's rightful claims on the territories of the ancient Roman Empire. This proclamation leaked to other countries all over the world outraging many countries, particularity European ones.

Meanwhile in Ethiopia our forces are easily sweeping aside any resistance and advancing towards Addis Ababa. Victory is only a few weeks away. Casualties are minimal for the land forces and it is a leisure trip for the air force, taking zero casualties.

76603263ru5.jpg

The homeland land forces have been reorganized into 8 new infantry corps and 1 cavalry corps in Rome, they are confident and will be essential to Rome's victory. These numbers should be increased once the forces in Ethiopia return. The Regia Marina navy has also been reformed into several flotillas and is ready for action.

96536000ph3.jpg

The army in Rome will stay put for the time being to hide their true intentions and wait for the return of the generals and divisions in Ethiopia.

In Ethiopia the troops tore through the limited Ethiopian resistance and took their Capital on February 2nd. Mussolini demands unconditional surrender and gets it without any argument. Italy is victorious! About 100,000 reserve troops are left behind in Ethiopia while 90,000 regular infantry and army headquarters are immediately recalled to the homeland for reorganization, and preparation for the next invasion.

et01_04b.jpg

Italian troops making the march home.

Last edited:
I guess it will be Spain.
That would be the normal way.

Nice start, by the way. :)

Eagle_with_fascessvg.png

81827c.jpg

The troops return from Ethiopia in the port city of Taranto, they are hailed as Heroes of Italy. The 90,000 troops are organized into 3 new Infantry Corps and march north to Rome.

Mussolini's army of 500,000 men is now in position - mobilization begins. The majority of the army, 240,000 infantry and mountain divisions, moves northwards from Rome. 90,000 infantry troops and 30,000 cavalry troops are sent to North Africa. 30,000 other regular infantry are scattered as reserves(locked). In Ethiopia 100,000 Reserve Troops scatter the border with Britain. The army in North Italy piles up against the border with France and Mussolini's intentions become quite clear: The invasion of France, ancestry of the ancient Gauls, and the Allied African colonies.

35106355rl2.jpg

On July 22, 1936 the invasion begins. The troops were displaced so fast that the French and British had no time at all to react. War was declared and hundreds of thousands of troops were pouring over the borders in France, Northwest Africa, Northeast Africa, and Ethiopia. In France the troops are smashing through to take the Alpes region and important city of Marseilles. In Northwest Africa there is currently an advance with no resistance to liberate Tunisia and then Algeria. In Northeast Africa it is a race to quickly take Alexandria, break into the heart of Egypt and then capture the strategically important Suez Canal. In Ethiopia the troops must take the small colonies in Somaliland, push south and find a defensible position before enemy reinforcements arrive, and hold off the British in the north until more forces arrive.

The Italian Battleship flotillas quickly move over to the Egyptian coastline to find and defeat any British naval forces in the area. Two submarine squadrons go convoy raiding and a destroyer squadron go on an anti-submarine mission. The air force commits it's naval bomber group to detecting and attempting to destroy any naval forces that enter the area.

67766861xk0.jpg

The advance on all fronts goes steadily. Resistance is minimal and the reaction by the enemy is slow. Propaganda flounders over the imminent victory of Italy, but it has only just begun...

Last edited:
Awsome, never seen a succesfull 1936 war by Italy that was succesfull.. :)

Care to give any clarification of any mods you play with?
And what about the homelands? They are know completely open for a amphs assult? :O

Thanks for the replies. :)

Scorpi: The only mod I'm using at the moment is the Experience of World War 2 mod by Fernando Torres, an excellent mod. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335681 for more info.

I have several garrisons defending the homeland, but it is true there are territories open for amphibious assaults. My navy & air force will hopefully detect and destroy any such attempts.

Next update tomorrow. *sleeps*

I'd cover all beaches if I were you.

The invasion of France looks well. Make shure to take the Suez, or make a land connection from N. Africa to Ethiopia.

Eagle_with_fascessvg.png

ScreenShot066.jpg

A month later the war has been fruitful but remains undecided. The advance has been mostly successful up to this point, but the enemy is starting to put up resistance. In particular the front in France is beginning to toughen up and new plans are needed.

Untitled-3.jpg

The initial advance in France was greatly successful, Marseille quickly fell along with Toulouse. However, French reinforcements have arrived and now there is a stalemate in the Alpes region due to the hilly, mountainous terrain and rivers. The troops are becoming tired and disorganized but the army decides to make a strong push west and then northwards. The first objective will be the major city of Bordeaux and then Nantes. If the advance is swift they may be able to outflank the French army and meet only minimal resistance. Meanwhile in the skies the Italian Air force has been dominating. Italian Fighters defeat both French and British air groups and bombers support the advance of the land forces.

Untitl-1.jpg

The advance through the hilly terrain of Southern France

In Africa there is continued success and the advance has been quick and decisive. In the Northwest Africa region French resistance has begun showing up, but they are pushed back and now risk being totally surrounded and destroyed.

Untitled-1.jpg

In Northeast Africa a French division has been surrounded and cut off in Siwa and the final push towards Alexandria begins. Once they make it to Alexandria they can link up with the troops in Ethiopia, take the Suez Canal, and secure the rest of Africa from the enemy. Speed is of all importance to prevent any large amounts of enemy reinforcements from coming.

In Ethiopia the fight is also going well. A British division in Wax has been cut off and another Division in Khartoum also risks being surrounded by the advance of Italian Troops. Somaliland has been conquered by Italy followed by success on all sides. The South will soon be locked down once the easily defensible position between Lake Nyasa and Lake Tanganyika is taken. The North has been easily held and advances have been successful. Once they link up with the troops in Egypt the whole East African front should collapse for the enemy.

ScreenShot072.jpg

Here is a look at the bigger picture.

ScreenShot083.jpg

At sea the Italian Fleet has met little enemy opposition but has met several successes. Only minor damage to a few destroyers and no losses while the British have lost 1CA, 2CLs, and 4DDs (missed one screenshot) and heavy damage to several other ships. The battle fleets and naval bombers continue to patrol the waters near the homeland for any further enemy task forces and is clearly superior at the moment.

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Destruction of British warships and loss of hundreds of lives...

It has only been a month....

Last edited:
it's going to be no easy feat to bring all that land under control... :eek: good luck, you'll need it.

Nice update, I'm glad to see all goes well so far, hopefully you can knock France out of the war quickly. :D

how exactly are you supplying Ethiopia with the Suez canal and Gibraltar in British hands (for now)?

Thanks for replies. :D

thatguy: I sent a lot of supplies to Ethiopia before declaring war, so they had enough supplies to last them for a few months. I should definitely have a supply link to them before it runs out.

Next update is a big one, sometime tomorrow.

Why did Italy attack so early (22 July 1936)? The Allies were still at a peace time penalty in IC, and now that is gone. There is a big risk that the Allies' new IC will out produce you. I would have advised for a larger army, while at peace, since the Allies would probably not have increased their armies as much. Then you could rush France with more troops and knock them out of the war, but now they are slowing you down.

BTW, 22 July in another year a similarly big war started IRL.