Returning player - modding differences + possibilties

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

*star*rats*

Second Lieutenant
19 Badges
May 16, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Hi all. I'm returning to BT with the latest 2 updates, haven't really played since Flashpoints.

Can someone quickly explain to me the differences between "standard" HBS modding and BTML/ModTek mods? I've tried searching, so please point me in the right direction if this has already been answered somewhere else. What I'm wondering is mostly:
  • What are the exact difference between "standard" (HBS) and "upgraded" (ModTek) modding, and what is the relation between them?
  • Do most mods support "both" modding formats?
  • Can both modloaders be active simultaneously? Right now I'm using "Skip intro scenes" and "cFixes" mods on HBS loader, can I then add mods with ModTeK?
  • And finally: Are there any good mods that add more Flashpoint missions? And if yes, does it require ModTek or can it run with HBS mod system alone?
Maybe I'll think of more... T.I.A. :cool:

EDIT: I realize now, that it would probably have been more appropriate to ask in the modding forum. Can you please move the post? The forum has changed as well, I need to adjust. :oops:
Thanks stjobe, and sorry if I seem a little confused, it's all very overwhelming to return after 1½ years of absence.

Last edited:
I also just got back to the game a few weeks ago and here's what I know so far. This might be a bit incorrect or incomplete info:

Some mods can use both mod loaders, but I find more versatility in ModTek and would suggest updating it and using that. I haven't found a method of altering DLC files with the HBS loader, but can still do so with ModTek. Also, the HBS loader is very strict about requiring all mods in a save be present, even if that mod is one that only changes combat mechanics like AI and nothing in the simgame or inventories. With ModTek, I can add and disable Better AI at will and load a campaign, career or skirmish in to simgame or in-combat saves. The HBS loader will tell me a mod is missing and not let me load it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks Amechwarrior - that's a very interesting point about the HBS modloader being more "strict" about which mods are present. Definitely something to consider! And also about the ability to alter DLC content, although I did kinda suspect that was one of the main differences.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: