• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

slokiller: No it was not indeed. Frustrating is perhaps a good way to describe it.
As for the situation for Germany things do improve, but for how long?

Commander-DK: :rofl: Indeed, the best way to land troops is the way I did on
the second time around- unopposed.

Draco Rexus: To have the author of For King and Country on board is truly
an honor. As for young Helmut, he is far from idle ;) .

stynlan: They certainly did need a reminder that war is a team sport :) .

Now that's better going in Spain.

Nov. 2, 1936
Berlin, Germany

"Hauptman Reuter, what a pleasure to see you again, please come in."

"Please Greta, it's just Hans as I've told you."

Greta Strauss smiled at her visitor and called into the house, "Kurt, Hans is here, come say hello."

As Hans Reuter stepped inside, the master of the house greeted him, "Good to see you Hans, and good to see you haven't been sent to join that madness in Spain yet."

Hans frowned and replied, "Yes, for now I do my part for the Fatherland from behind a desk."

Kurt Strauss grunted and replied, "From the state of things down there I'd say you were a lucky man."

Before Hans could reply the conversation was interrupted when he was nearly bowled over by two small bodies screaming "Uncle Hans! Uncle Hans!"

Laughing, Hans picked up Kurt's two children in turn and kissed them on their cheeks. "Hello children, I've missed you. Now let me see, did I remember to stop by the sweets shop on my way here?" As the children gazed up at him expectantly, he smiled and said, "Of course I did. Here you go, but don't tell your mother I gave you chocolate before dinner."

Whispering their thanks, the children ran off to consume their booty before Greta could discover it and stop them.

Kurt shook his head, "They will be up all night with all that sugar in them. If you think Greta doesn't know about all that candy you slip them you're wrong my friend."

"Kurt my friend, it is the perogative of any good uncle to spoil his neice and nephew. To be accurate I am, of course, not really thier uncle but if they insist on calling me Uncle Hans, then I must insist on spoiling their dinners."

Laughing, Kurt replied, "Speaking of which, I believe that we should be getting to the dining room. You know how Greta hates to be kept waiting."

After a wonderful meal that was marred only by the strange protests of the children that they were too full to clear their plates, which earned Hans a baleful look from Greta and her a look of angelic innocence in reply, Hans and his host retired to the sitting room to speak in private.

"Hans, I want to talk to you about something.", Kurt began as he nervously lit a cigarette. "As a soldier, you must see the folly of the government's war in Spain. It serves only to ostracize Germany from the international community and take the lives of our brave young men."

Hans thought carefully before replying, "It is not my job to question the actions of the government. I am a soldier, I protect the state and I follow orders."

Kurt rounded on him angrily, "Don't give me that! You have a mind, use it. What is happening in Spain is criminal. German fathers and sons are dying to prop up a foreign tyranny."

"The argument could be made that they are fighting a noble battle against the spread of the communist menace.", replied Hans.

Shaking his head sadly Kurt said, "The Republican government in Spain, whatever it's ideology, is the legal government. Make no mistake, we are backing a coup. One tyrant coming to the aid of another."

"Kurt, I sincerely hope that I am the only one you spout this nonesense to. This is dangerous talk."

"That is a sad statement Hans. That a free man in Germany must fear speaking his mind. If you can see that, then you must realize that this is not the Germany you swore your oath to."

"We swore new oaths, you know that. To the Chancellor.", replied Hans.

"Another act of madness. The army sworn to a man and not to the state and it's people. It was a day more shameful than Versailles."

At this Hans rose to his feet and made for the door, "I'll listen to no more Kurt. Take my advice-"

He was cut off as his friend grabbed his arm, "Please Hans, listen to me. You are a good man. When Hitler fired Canaris and gutted the Abwher, I lost everything. The Navy wouldn't have me back, my career was over, and I couldn't find work anywhere. My wife and children would have been beggered if I hadn't met you. You found me work and saved my family. The only way I can think to ever pay you back is to stop Hitler. Stop him, and save your and thousands of other soldier's lives.

Looking earnestly into Hans' eyes he continued, "You know that Hitler and his lackeys will lead Germany to ruin, deep inside you have to know that."

Taking Kurt by the shoulders Hans pleaded with him, "Kurt, let this go. There is nothing you can do except put your family at risk."

Kurt shook his head, "My son will not grow up in a Germany run by madmen. To be pressed into the Hitler Youth and brainwashed into being a good Nazi. Never. I am not alone in this Hans, there are many of us. We are everywhere and will not remain silent much longer."

Taking his friend by the arm and guiding him back into the sitting room Hauptsturmfuhrer Helmut Wolf said, "Alright Kurt, tell me more."

Last edited:
Dec. 8, 1936
Burgos, Spain

Huddled against the cold wind coming down from the mountains to the north Lt. Otto Wolf ate his meager daily ration and ruminated on the sudden change of fortune from only weeks ago.

Following the crushing victory in La Coruna, German forces had rolled over Republican opposition in victory after victory. General von Kleist had acted with brilliance. First he sent II. Armeekorps to rejoin XIII. Armeekorps in Oviedo and launch an assualt against Republican troops in the mountains of Bilbao. After only two days of fighting the German force under direct command of Gen. List routed the Spanish from their mountian holdouts. Now Gen. von Kleist personally led a force consisting of I. Panzerarmee (which was up to it's full strength with the arrival of the third panzerdivision) and the newly arrived XV. Armeekorps into Burgos while Nationalist forces advanced on Madrid.

Arriving in Burgos, von Kleist's battle group crushed resistance and sent the Republicans fleeing to the south. German forces were poised to rush deep into Republican territory when Von Kleist was forced to call a halt to the advance due to lack of supply.

The German merchant marine had from day one struggled to keep the men in Spain properly supplied. Now, with more men and longer supply lines, there simply was not enough to go around.

Taking advantage of the sudden German halt, Republican forces mounted a large scale counter-attack on the German positions in Burgos on Nov 18. For three days German troops fought back against four-to-one odds. Finally after what von Kleist described in his report as "numerous acts of valor and self-sacrifice" the Republicans were repulsed and retreated south to lick their wounds. Also instrumental in the victory were the men and aircraft of Luftflotte II who had arrived the week before. They mercilessly bombed the attacking Republican army and caused great damage.

Even as the exhausted German troops celebrated their amazing victory dire news reached them from Madrid. General Franco had been surrounded while von Kleist's men fought for their lives and had surrendered the last Nationalist troops in mainland Spain the day before. Worse, the quartermaster's office delivered a report to von Kleist that the army lacked enough fuel and ammunition to continue to function at optimal levels. Proving the old adage that bad news comes in threes, Air Marshall Grauert of Luftflotte II reported that his aircraft lacked enough fuel to continue operations as well.

Taking stock of the situation, Gen von Kleist ordered all troops to fall back to La Coruna and sent an urgent message to Berlin begging for more supplies.

Finishing up the only meal he would eat today and putting away his mess kit, Lt. Wolf climbed back into his panzer to continue the slow retreat north, praying that they could scavenge enough fuel to keep going and that the Spanish bombers that flew uncontested overhead did not find him this day.

Sneaky of the SS to pose as friends to root out dissidents in the old Abwehr, though I would have thought that this would be the domain of the Sicherheitsdienst or the Gestapo?

Quite a reversal of fortunes in Spain. Looking forward to more updates.

:) Jesper

strafedgermanconvoysizehl4.jpg

German vehicles destroyed from the air in Northern Spain

Dec. 11, 1936
La Coruna - Burgos border

"Lindemann, get over there and see what you can scavenge will you?"

"Yes, sir!", replied Lindemann as he ran towards the side of the road.

Otto watched the young man run off and smiled, "So much enthusiasm even after all of this.", he thought.

As if reading his mind the other member of his crew Sgt. Hoff said, "To be just eighteen again eh, sir. Kid acts more like we're on a camping trip than running for our lives."

"Sergeant, we are not "running for our lives" as you put it. We are engaged in a
strategic withdrawal."

"Right sir, sorry. Strategic withdrawal of course. At any rate I hope there is something left in that hulk over there for us."

Otto grunted and walked toward where Lindemann was climbing onto a broken down panzer. With the Spanish nipping at their heels, any vehicle that broke down was immediately stripped of fuel and ammunition and then destroyed to prevent use by the enemy.

Not for the first time Otto wondered if he would return home to his wife again.
The road behind was strewn with shattered vehicles and dead men, victims of the relentless bombing by the Spanish Air Force. It seemed that it was only a matter of time before he joined so many of his friends in eternal sleep.

Only one day after the order was given to retreat to La Coruna, Spanish troops had fell upon and overran the army's rear guard. After that the "strategic withdrawal" had become a full scale retreat with running rear guard actions being fought almost daily in hopes of buying the main body a half hour here and an hour there. With almost no food, ammunition, or sleep and the near constant air attacks, morale had plummeted. Despair was the order of the day.

"If they only knew", thought Otto. At the morning briefing he had been informed that somehow Spanish armor had slipped around them and was blocking the way into La Coruna ahead. I. Panzerarmee would have to turn north and head to Oviedo where II. Armeekorps were dug in and holding their ground against repeated attacks. Even more distressing was the news from Luft-

Otto was jerked from his musings by an all too familiar sound. Looking up he screamed, "Bombers, take cover!"

As explosions went off all around men dashed for whatever shelter they could find. Otto flung himself into a ditch on the side of the road as far from any idle vehicles or panzers as he could be as they were the prime targets. Something tugged at the back of his mind at the thought of the vehicles on the road. Then, he had it- Lindemann.

He stuck his head out of the ditch in time to see him climbing off of the panzer he had been scavenging. "Lindemann over here, run!", he shouted.
Hearing his Lieutenant's voice, Lindemann sprinted toward the ditch reaching it just as a bomb struck the panzer he had exited, blowing it to pieces and showering the roadway with shrapnel.

As quickly as it began, the raid was over. Shaken men emerged from their hiding places to take stock of the damage. The cries of the wounded filled the air after the deafening sound of the bombing.

Otto stood up and looking around called out, "Hoff, you still with us?"

"Yes, sir. Here I am.", came the reply as the sergeant ambled over from the other side of the roadway.

Relief washed over Otto as he turned and said,"Alright Lindemann, let's get gone before they get it into their minds to come back."

"Sir, I think there's something wrong. My... my back hurts."

Turning, Otto saw Lindemann slumped against the side of the ditch trying to look over his shoulder at the cause of his discomfort. Leaping down Otto tipped him forward and saw a jagged hole in the young man's lower back. Dark blood was oozing from the wound.

"Oh God, thought Otto "his liver."

Looking him in the eyes Otto said, "Nothing to worry about kid, feels worse than it is. We'll get you a medic and you'll be back driving for me in a day or two, just stay focused alright?"

"Yes sir, thank you sir.", he replied.

Standing, Otto pulled Hoff close and whispered, "It's his liver, get a medic now."

He knelt back down and began applying pressure to the wound as Lindemann asked, "It's really not that bad?"

"Are you kidding? It's barely a scratch, you know how these things are.", replied Otto. "They hurt like a bastard and then you're right as rain in a few days."

Hoff came running up with a medic in tow. After checking the wound the medic took Otto and Hoff aside, "He's done for. I'm sorry but I can't waste time on him with so many others around that I can help."

Hoff grabbed the young man by his jacket and hauled him closer, "Sorry? No, you're not sorry yet but you will be if you don't do som-"

Otto placed a hand on his friend's arm and said, "Let him go Hoff, he's only doing his job. From his perspective it's the right thing to do."

Any further discussion was cut off by a cry from Lindemann. Jumping down into the ditch they found him shaking and calling out for the person that they had heard countless young boys ask for these last months.

As they took his hand he opened his eyes, "Mom?"

"No", Hoff said, "it's me and the Lieutenant."

"Lieutenant, I feel tired. What did doc say?"

"Oh, he said that since you're not hurt too bad he can't see you right away."

"Alright, thanks sir. Is it alright if I close my eyes a little? I can't keep them open."

"Sure kid", replied Otto, "You go ahead. Go to sleep and when you wake up you'll feel better."

As his eyes closed Otto could take it no more and walked briskly away from the scene. As he leaned against a tree several yards away, his knees buckled and he slipped into a sitting position. There, amongst the trees, he wept.

Last edited:
Commander-DK said:
Sneaky of the SS to pose as friends to root out dissidents in the old Abwehr, though I would have thought that this would be the domain of the Sicherheitsdienst or the Gestapo?

Quite a reversal of fortunes in Spain. Looking forward to more updates.

:) Jesper

This type of operation is indeed the responsibility of the SD.Good catch :D . I referenced Helmut only as a member of the SS without going into further detail because I feared that the little surprise at the end of that post would be compromised if it was known that he worked in the SD. I wanted Helmut to be affiliated with that particular branch of the SS due to the fact that the SD was generally also responsible for security in occupied lands, giving me numerous story locations for him. (That is if I do better in other countries than I am in Spain of course :( ).

Last edited:
Dec 15, 1936
La Coruna, Spain

Rodrigo Vivar examined the men approaching him as his men fanned out along the roadway. Ever since German forces had defeated all regular army units in the province back in October, he and hundreds like him had been conducting guerilla operations against the occupying troops. Though only twenty years old, he had seen many battles and was considered a fine combat leader.

He had brought his men here after reports of explosions and fires had come in during the night. He did not know what he had expected to find, but it certainly was not this. When he arrived a large body of German troops had been lounging near the road. Rather than reaching for weapons at the sight of him and his men, they held up a white flag. Now two of them were coming to a halt in front of him.

The less fancily dressed of the two cleared his throat and began in rather poor Spanish, "We would like to meet with your superior officer."

The man looked as if he wanted to continue, but was unable to find the words so Rodrigo quickly replied, "I speak German, so feel free to converse with me in that language. As to your request I cannot help you as I suppose I am the highest ranking person you'll find around here."

The other man who was wearing an incredibly ornate uniform muttered something about "Spanish rabble" before stepping forward and speaking formally, "I am Air Marshall Grauert, commander of Luftflotte II. of the German Luftwaffe."

Rodrigo whistled in surprise and before he could ask why a bunch of flyboys had been headed down this roadway the answer came to him. "They were destroying whatever planes they had left, that's what the commotion was last night.", he thought. "But why? They wouldn't have to do that unless...
unless the army had recaptured the province or were about to.
"

As a grin began to split Rodrigo's face Air Marshall Grauert stepped toward him and extended his sidearm saying sadly, "We are your prisoners young man."

Dec 16, 1936
Gijon, Spain
Headquarters of General List II. Armeekorps

"Sir, we have recieved radio transmission that XIII. and XV. Armeekorps have been driven from La Coruna. What's left of them have either evacuated from the port of La Coruna itself or are moving in this direction to breakthrough to us or I. Panzerarmee."

Pounding his fist on the planning table Gen. List exclaimed, "Damn it, they will never make it. The Spanish have us sewn up too tightly. Any word on the exact whereabouts of I. Panzerarmee?"

His aide shook his head and replied, "No sir. Bottled up somewhere to the south is all we know. I didn't want to mention it sir as we have yet to confirm, but there are reports that Luftflotte II. has surrendered."

Gen. List snorted in derision, "Well isn't that nice? They show up, fly a few sorties and they sit around waiting to surrender while we get blown to pieces. Thank you very much Herr Goring."

"To be fair sir, lack of fu-"

List cut him off, "Just give the report from the front lines here."

"Yes sir. Frontline commands are reporting deteriorating combat efficiency due to a number of factors. Lack of ammunition and other supplies and aerial bombardment being the biggest concerns. In addition, many units are holding the line with only half of their operational strength. Estimates are that we may only be able to hold on for a few more days."

General List shook his head, "No. Not for a few more days. We have done all that we can here, more than I should have asked those men to do. The war here is lost and I won't throw their lives away. We will retreat under cover of darkness. Send for the division and regimental commanders so we can plan it out."

"Sir, if I may, what about I. Panzerarmee? If we abandon Gijon how will
they-"

Gen. List raised a hand to silence him, "My responsibility is to these men, I. Panzerarmee will have to look after themselves. They lack the strength to break through to me and I to them. Staying here is a useless gesture. Now carry out my orders."

As his aide left the tent, General List gazed out toward the sea and vowed to bring his men home.

Ouch it just keeps getting worse in Spain.

I knew bad things would happen after that disater of a beach landing.

Hope you can salvage it.

Oh, don't kill off Otto, It would hurt to much to see him dead or in a prison.

waiting for next update is so hard

A really nasty situation in Spain, but some very well written passages. The death-scene was very well executed.

slokiller said:
Ouch it just keeps getting worse in Spain.

I knew bad things would happen after that disater of a beach landing.

Hope you can salvage it.

Oh, don't kill off Otto, It would hurt to much to see him dead or in a prison.

waiting for next update is so hard

Yeah, things are pretty much in the crapper down there and have been since the supply problem started. As for Otto, who can say? ;)

Thanks for reading!

stnylan said:
A really nasty situation in Spain, but some very well written passages. The death-scene was very well executed.

A nasty situation indeed. Probably couldn't be worse in fact. Thank you for the compliment. I was unsure of that passage as I had just introduced the character and I didn't know if the death would have any impact emotionally.

Thanks for reading!

si139sized153dbeog3.jpg

German troops brace for the next assault

Dec. 22, 1936
Southern Oviedo Province, Spain

Lt. Otto Wolf peered down the hill, searching for any sign of a new enemy attack. He and the rest of I. Panzerarmee and whatever infantry had found their way to them, were trapped in an ever shrinking pocket from which there now seemed no escape. Ammunition was scarce and many men were forced to arm themselves with Spanish weapons taken from the dead. All of them had not eaten in days. They had been under near constant assault for almost a week and the end seemed near.

Many of the men believed that if they just held out a little longer rescue would come. Otto doubted this very much. If help was coming they would know it by now, they would hear the sound of battle to the north. What they heard instead was silence.

"No,, thought Otto, "we are alone here. Abandoned and left to die, never to see home again. " At the thought of home his heart caught in his chest and he said aloud, "Oh God, I'm so sorry Elsa."

"What's that sir?"

Looking to his left where Sgt. Hoff sat he replied, "Nothing Hoff, just thinking of home."

"Best not to do that sir, makes a man depressed. In my opinion, you've been out of sorts enough lately."

"Oh?"

"Yes, sir. Quite frankly, I'm worried about you after what happened yesterday."

Otto thought back to the day before. They had been huddled in their foxhole (their panzer like just about everyone else's was long gone) as yet another aerial bombardment rained death around them. After it was over, they were startled to see a Spanish bomber make an emergency landing several yards behind their position.

Realizing that a captured pilot could be an invaluable source of information, Otto had gathered a group of men and ran to take custody of the airmen. As they arrived at the scene, the Spanish flyboys were disembarking from the plane and assisting a wounded member of the crew. As Otto and his party reached them, the captain of the aircraft raised his hands and smiled at them.

Otto was still not sure why, but when the pilot smiled something happened. Lindemann's face as his eyes closed forever swam in front of him and the earnest tone in his voice when he asked for his mother was all Otto could hear. Suddenly, he was enraged. A thought took hold. "What gives him the right?, he thought. "What gives him the right to just rain death on me and my men? To kill with no consequence?"

Part of Otto's mind knew that he was being irrational, but it was not a time for rationality. That smile sickened him. He hated it, and he hated the pilot. Before anyone (maybe even himself) knew what he was doing, he had driven his rifle butt directly into the bastard's smile. His men, including Sgt. Hoff, grabbed him then and pulled him away form the now prostrate pilot. He shuddered to think what else he may have done if they had not intervened.

Coming back to the here and now, he was about to tell Hoff that he didn't need to worry when he spied movement down below. A party of Spanish soldiers had broken cover and were advancing up the hill. Otto raised his rifle to his shoulder and was about to open fire when he noticed the white flags they were carrying. Otto hated himself for a sudden urge to shoot them anyway before he lowered his rifle and stepped out of his foxhole and walked to meet them halfway between the lines.

An older, but formidable looking man seemed senior and he spoke in Spanish to a young man next to him. When he finished the young man translated, "General Menant would like to discuss the terms of your honorable surrender with your superior officer General von Kleist. The General feels that any further bloodshed should be avoided and is willing to be generous."

Otto nodded and sent a runner back to headquarters with the message. While making small talk with the young officer who gave his name as Rodrigo Vivar (which amused Otto to no end) Otto learned that Nationalist Spain had formally surrendered to the Republicans the day before. He was about to comment on this stunning news to Hoff who was, as usual, hovering protectively over his shoulder when Generals von Kleist and Guderian reached the meeting place attended by various staff officers.

General Menant delivered his proposal to the German officers and waited patiently as they discussed. After a few minutes General von Kleist handed Menant his sidearm and ended the shooting war in Spain.

The next day, the proud men of I.Panzerarmee stacked their weapons and marched off into Spanish captivity to await a formal end to the war by the two governments.

Last edited:
Germany's first outing has hardly been an auspicious one.

Kurt St... wait, it's another Kurt. :D

Let's see what my namesake does ;)

Hardraade said:
Welcome aboard! An update on the good Mr. Strauss will be forthcoming soon. :)

Thank you! I'll wait eagerly! Wonderful narration, by the way.