• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sub'd. When you inevitably start blobbing up in CK2 and the future games of your AAR will you try and fix it and let the AI grow or mod it to their advantage, or are you going for a WC?

• 1Like
Reactions:
uh...oh...

Fortunately, I used the important operative word (though I don't know the future! I write as I play!)

Very interesting start - nothing like a little resistance to make a game interesting ;)

This, being the harshest Byzantine start I've experienced, is simultaneously frustrating and great fun. And I'm not arguing with that in the least!

Sub'd. When you inevitably start blobbing up in CK2 and the future games of your AAR will you try and fix it and let the AI grow or mod it to their advantage, or are you going for a WC?

You assume so much of my abilities! :-D

Honestly, I like supporting other countries to grow strong. Ideally, I'd like to help Germany, Russia, Scandinavia, and some Slavic power form. As well as protecting and boosting natives. I've a notion to write some EU3 decisions that would allow me to missionize others, and I'm just dreaming of encouraging an orthodox native american empire. Though I'd have to cook up in-game justifications for it all.

Last edited:
Reactions:
On January 1, 1076, Konstantios III of the East Roman Empire reached the age of majority.

5-1.png

The regency had been disastrous. The regent embezzled money, and there were two large rebellions. One succeeded, leaving the position of Emperor much weakened. The other was put down at the last moment. And while these rebellions raged, the Fatimids had invaded. Several of their coastal holdings were captured, and much of the territory they had conquered was reclaimed. But then a terrible battle saw the Roman army smashed. The regent had disbanded what remained of the army to allow the levies a chance to recover.

At several points throughout the war, a fair assessment would have said the Romans were ahead, but the Fatimids had not been ready for peace. It was clear to Konstantios: there could be no peace while their army remained. Fortunately, Konstantios was patient. He would let the armies recover and then strike to destroy the Fatimid armies. Lost land could be recovered later.

So this was Emperor Konstantios III. Gregarious, patient, temperate, and a master of money like Midas himself. Though he was also deceitful and slothful. Would he be able to stabilize the Empire?

5-2.png

While he waited for the armies to recover, he found a suitable wife and quickly married. Yevpraxia was the daughter of the Grand Duke of Galich. The match was politically wise, and there was hope her diplomatic abilites would cover for Konstanios' weaknesses.

5-3.png

Her father was at war with both Poland and the Pechenegs. In exchange for Konstantios declaring war on them, he declared war on the Fatimids. The matched seemed ordained by God, the couple swiftly falling in love. In June, the armies were raised again.

5-4.png

The armies gathered in Trapezous, and the best commanders in the Empire were placed in charge.

5-5.png

The Fatimid army was again ill-equipped for the mountains, so the Roman army waited for it to weaken through the winter. It used the opportunity to reclaim the county of Karin, and its mere preparations to march were enough to convince the Fatimids to not move into any new territory. By the following June, a somewhat-recovered Varangian guard had rejoined the army, and the attack was ordered. After a month-long battle at Mayafaraqin, the Fatamids were forced into a retreat.

5-6.png

They were caught again at Haykaberd and again defeated.

5-7.png

At the second battle of Mayafaraqin, the Fatimid forces were completed destroyed. The army began reclaiming lost territory. The Fatimids were soon prepared to surrender. On the 19th of April, 1078, the Fatimids surrendered, paying reparations to the Emperor.

5-8.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
During the Fatimid war, Konstanios III had been gathering people around an idea: his taking the county of Kaliopolis for himself. The war complete, he enacted his plan.

6-1.png

Count Theodoros did not like the idea of surrenduring his title, so yet another war began. The army was still gathered, so they were loaded on ships and sent to Kaliopolis. The county was conquered easily, and the armies moved on to finaly help with the was against the Pechenegs.

6-2.png

With Roman assistance, Galich quickly forced a white peace. The army was sent north to help with the Polish war.

6-4.png

In less than a year, the Poles had agreed to a peace.

With the Empire now at peace, Konstantios had leave to consider what needs were most pressing. Two stood out: his weakened authority, and his lack of military might. Though his regent had been the one to bring about the lack of authority, it had happened during his rule, and nothing could be done to change the situation. He contended himself with his father's project: raising taxes on the cities.

6-5.png

And he began recruiting a personal retinue of soldiers.

6-6.png

But before he could do much to improve the Empire, he died of an illness, leaving his daughter Athanasia, all of one year old, to take the reins of the Empire.

7-7.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Aw, hell. May she reign for as long as her life lasts?

Reactions:
A quite unfortunate turn of events. :eek: I am not bullish on her prospects.

Reactions:
You assume so much of my abilities! :-D

Honestly, I like supporting other countries to grow strong. Ideally, I'd like to help Germany, Russia, Scandinavia, and some Slavic power form. As well as protecting and boosting natives. I've a notion to write some EU3 decisions that would allow me to missionize others, and I'm just dreaming of encouraging an orthodox native american empire. Though I'd have to cook up in-game justifications for it all.

Curious as to what you mean by missonize? Do you mean the ability to send missionaries to a foreign province?

• 1Like
Reactions:
long live the new empress. she'll need all the luck she can get.

Reactions:
Foreshadowing ahoy!

Aw, hell. May she reign for as long as her life lasts?

Well, about that…

A quite unfortunate turn of events. :eek: I am not bullish on her prospects.

Nor should you be.

Curious as to what you mean by missonize? Do you mean the ability to send missionaries to a foreign province?

Yeah, some method of that. Ideally, it'd be tough to accomplish. Though the very idea may not make sense in the EU3 timeframe.

long live the new empress. she'll need all the luck she can get.

Indeed.

Reactions:
This was Athanasia I of the East Roman Empire. Her father died in 1080, when she was one, leaving her in charge of the Empire. Well, sort of.

7-1.png

This was Mayor Chrysanthos of Verissa, her regent. He was not of a noble house, but rose to his position via diplomacy and intrigue. And perhaps other means, as suggested by his syphilis.

7-2.png

It was a blissfully unexciting time in the Empire. The Empress' retinue was grown to 2500 cataphracts. Many were converted from heresy to Orthodoxy. Nobles schemed. The regent began a series of projects to improve the Empress' holdings. And sent himself the occasional 'gift' from the treasury. To make Verissa a city most useful to the Empress, of course. And in his kindness, many prisoners were finally ransomed or released.

Until 1084, when a group of Nobles insisted that Andronikos Doukas, Athanasia's uncle, should be the rightful emperor, and demanded that Athanasia step down. Chrysanthos could not allow this to be done to his Empress. After all, she was apparently a lover of the cities. Just look at her willingness to pay Chrysanthos to improve Verissa. No, this would not stand. He refused their demands on her behalf.

7-3.png

Unsurprisingly, this led to yet another civil war. It started mild, or as mild as civil wars get. But noble after noble agreed to join with the rebels, and soon the situation was dire. Even the Varangian guard turned.

7-4.png

On 16 December 1086, Empress Athanasia was forced to give up the crown, and was thereafter only the Duchess of Thrace.

7-5.png

Regent Chrysanthos resumed the improvements to the Empress' holdings. And his own. The cataphracts returned to Constantinople. On occasion nobles schemed against Duchess Athanasia. The pope called for a crusade against Jerusalem. A faction seeking to install Athanasia's other uncle as Emperor revolted. Finally, on Novemember 1, 1094, Athanasios reached the age of majority.

7-6.png

But she was still locked in her uncle's dungeon. She couldn't do much of anything from there. Not even get married. But she was a noble. She began to scheme.

7-7.png

Attachments

• 8-1.png
    8-1.png
    1,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 8-2.png
    8-2.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
...Long live the true Basileia, Athanasia!

Reactions:
Reactions:
Duchess Athanasia had had her empire stolen from her. She had spent half of her life in her uncle's dungeon. And she was scheming to come back on top. She considered her resources. She had money, but her uncle refused to ransom her.

8-1.png

She was young and available. The 'living in the dungeon' was a turn-off, though.

8-2.png

She had a younger sister of the dynasty who could take over if need be. A homosexual dwarf of a sister.

8-3.png

What she wouldn't have given for a holocaust cloak. Her four holdings and 2500 cataphracts would have to suffice.

8-4.png

She continued improving her holdings. The Crusade for Jerusalem failed. When Princess Eliadora, Athanasia's sister, came of age, she was married to the son of a duke. Heirs and allies came before her preferences.

8-5.png

Athanasia's regent was murdered as an innocent victims of other plots, and when she appointed a replacement spymaster, as idea occured to her. She began to save. Not long after, a league of Emirs declared independence from the Seljuks. Emperor Andronikos immediately declared war. Athanasia, loyal vassal, sent the cataphracts to join in.

8-6.png

Apparently, while 'living in the dungeon' means a woman is unsuitable to marry, other kinds of visits are acceptable.

8-7.png

The war was won, with no advantage for Athanasia. But another was against Slavonia was quickly declared. She sent the cataphracts west.

8-8.png

Soon, she had saved plenty, and sent her spymaster to ensure the death of Emperor Andronikos eldest daughter. The men sent failed, and the plot was revealed.

8-9.png

And in her 20th year Athanasia was executed, not having seen the outdoors since the age of eight.

8-10.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
An unfortunate life, but the Emperor was smart to do so! :D

Reactions:
Sadness. I hope the Emperor burns in hell.

Reactions:
An unfortunate life, but the Emperor was smart to do so! :D

True. Had the roles been reversed, I'd have done the same. And then felt terrible about it (a consequence of roleplaying your characters, you sometimes feel genuine guilt over videogame crimes!)

Sadness. I hope the Emperor burns in hell.

I can't speak to his eternal fate, but as to his temporal one, well…

Reactions:
This was Duchess Elaiodora of Thrace. She had inherited the duchy from her sister, who had been executed after a failed attempt to work her way back up to the Imperial title via murder.

9-1.png

Being craven and just, Elaiodora was unlikely to pursue rulership of the Empire. Instead, she built up her holdings, birthed children, sent the cataphracts to assist with several minor wars, and in general had a boring reign.

Sure, the nobles continued to scheme (Elaiodora's aunt Zoe succesfully claiming the imperial title), but none of it affected Elaiodora personally.

9-2.png

Until October of 1110, when the Fatimids invaded Greece. Their forces were overwhelming, and in May of 1113, Elaidora found herself reduced to being a Countess under the ruler of a heathen.

9-3.png

The heart had been cut from the Empire. And the heir to the empire was a Dane.

9-4.png

The Romans had failed to return.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
That game went terribly. I think that's the worst I've ever had it in a Byzantine game.

Fortunately for you , I had saved up my posts, and have already started a new game. One where things don't crash and burn right away, at least. I'll share the link shortly.

Edit: the new AAR is here.

Last edited:
Reactions: