• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I thought it was -11.9k over the last 12 days, or is it average -11.9k? Ah well, still crappy. Same problem modern age mod suffers from as well afaik.

I'd wish you luck in those Japanese battles, but I'm not sure any amount of luck can save you (unless you are save scumming, which is fair given the circumstances)

Yeah, I lost millions more to immigration than to Japan. (SOME SPOILERS BELOW)
I actually continued the save until 1939 before reloading in 1934 because I literally could not do anything. Japan crushed my entire army in Beijing with maybe fifteen or twenty brigades and forced me to pay harsh reparations, causing me to disband my entire army and lose up to three thousand pounds every day. Germany suffered even worse, losing a lot of territory to the Soviets and effectively being partitioned between them and the French after being dragged into a war with both of them. Both of our economies are about to crash, so I promptly reloaded to 1934, which was my earliest save. Hence why I stated that not all damage could be undone by time resetting. I think I'll post some screenshots of this lost timeline when Bill goes through another reset.

Over the next few resets, Bill went through the gauntlet again and again, honing his combat skills. After at least twenty resets he came through competely unscathed, blindfolded, wearing earplugs, and with hands tied behind his back.
Every time he still died on the battlefield.
Eventually his repeated failures built up, and one on loop he simply left the army camp and headed to Beijing to see his family again.
He arrived without incident, and his family was glad to see him again. The invasion force at Chongjin was obviously massacred, so there was nobody to take him back to the army.
Troubling news awaited Bill at home.
2015-05-23_00017.jpg

The Soviets launched an invasion of Mitteleuropa to "liberate" the city of Orsha from its "decadent Western capitalist imperialist reactionary oppressors" and called in the entirety of the Internationale to aid in its conquest. Germany called in the members of Mitteleuropa, including China. The result was a true world war, pitting China, Germany, and their allies against the old Entente (France, Russia, Britain) and the (traitorous) Ottoman Empire. Austria-Hungary, America, and Italy opted to sit this one out.
Bill read in the news of defeats in Mongolia and Xinjiang to better-armed Soviet forces. Hundreds of thousands died in the deserts of the north and west without meeting their enemy, and the survivors, despite outnumbering the Soviets almost nine to one, were utterly exterminated like bugs under a kid’s foot. The situation in Germany wasn’t that much better. The Commune of France threw its entire military across the Rhine to reclaim “Alsace-Lorraine” and all other territories lost in the Weltkrieg. Within weeks they had pushed as far as Frankfurt, as the majority of the German Army was tied up in Mittelafrika and in Ukraine. The Kaiserliche Deustchen Marine managed to score three or four victories against the Royal Navy but ultimately was destroyed at some point not discussed in the papers. The Balkans, as usual, were up in flames, with the Ottoman advance reaching as far as the Austro-Hungarian border; they could have easily reached and sacked Vienna if Austria-Hungary wasn’t neutral (Austria-Hungary and Italy then went to war with each other again).

Not even South America could escape the Second Weltkrieg. Bolivia, Peru, Brazil, Argentina, and Chile were involved in a war spanning the entire continent, with each regional power being influenced by the Entente, the Internationale, and Mitteleuropa. While for all intents and purposes the war being fought there was independent of European and Asian interests, the influence being poured into the South Americans implied to many that it was just an extension of the Second Weltkrieg.

However, despite setbacks in Central Asia and Europe, the Manchurian front remained stable…for now. It didn’t appear that General Hiroshi wanted to invade China; he could have easily done so, as there was no army to fight him off, and the German Hanoi garrison was busy attacking Vladivostok. As long as the majority of Manchuria remained safe, the rest of the nation could breathe easier.

That didn’t last long.

Suddenly, several months after the disaster at Chongjin, the General Staff learned that Hiroshi’s army was on the move—towards Manzhouli, the Empire’s military headquarters in Manchuria. In two months all of Manchuria was scorched by the Rising Sun. Reports came in of atrocities committed by Japanese soldiers: children and elderly butchered as bayonet practice, villagers abducted and experimented on by the nefarious Unit 731 to test biological and chemical weapons, and, of course, Hiroshi’s tradition of engaging in “Who can behead the most Chinese the fastest? Step right up to challenge the champion and win this awesome katana!”

The War Ministry and the General Staff, now desperate, sent out orders for all troops from all parts of China to withdraw from their positions and rendezvous at Beijing, for Hiroshi was spotted advancing towards the capital at a rate too fast for the Emperor and the government to evacuate completely.

That morning, Bill woke up, cooked breakfast for his children, and slipped out the door, rifle slung on his back. He headed for the Marco Polo Bridge, on the outskirts of Beijing. As he strolled through the city, he heard air raid sirens blare. People were streaming out of the city, running for their lives, carrying everything they owned in their hands. Cars were abandoned due to the traffic jams. Soldiers, on foot and on horseback, ran in the opposite direction.

“Protect the Emperor!” they shouted.
But there was also news that the Germans had already surrendered, so morale was low.
He arrived on the bridge just as the first Japanese bombers arrived, bombing the Forbidden City flat with incendiary devices.
The Imperial forces fought back bravely, but they were no match for the Japanese, despite having a clear numerical advantage.
A battalion of Japanese soldiers advanced up the river towards the bridge, and before Bill could even raise his rifle they shot him in the head.
2015-05-26_00029.jpg

Well at least you killed more Japanese this time. I honestly have no idea how you'll get out of this war alive.
Spoiler: I didn't. I reloaded a save and got my revenge with console commands.

Spoiler: I didn't. I reloaded a save and got my revenge with console commands.

Lol, the true path to victory. The AI cheats anyway. :p

Haha it was the only choice I had, Germany and I were screwed anyways.

(This is just a filler update; the final or next to final update of this kind (with screenshots, if possible) will come next.)
Before he woke up again, Bill saw something. There was Korean writing on the walls, and then he saw Tojo sitting in a chair.
Tojo was in Seoul.
He woke up and knew what he had to do.

In the middle of the night, he slipped away from the camp and headed south. He hijacked a truck and drove to Seoul, avoiding Japanese patrols and getting better at doing so each reset.
Finally, he arrived in the city and began searching for Tojo. After another dozen resets, he found the location his vision had told him Tojo was in.
He stepped into the room and loaded his pistol, aiming at the figure sitting in the chair facing away from him.
He approached the figure before firing at the head.
The mannequin fell to the floor, it's head shattered.
He felt the tip of a katana pressed against his back.
"
Prepare to die--permanently," said Hiroshi.
Hiroshi slashed, and Bill collapsed on the floor, blood spilling around him. He quickly raised his gun to his head and pulled the trigger.
BANG.
He was back at the army camp. Seoul was a trap. Seriously, why did he listen to such a vision? he thought. It was just his subconscious giving him an estimate of where Tojo was with no certainty at all.
There was a better way to find him, though.
He resolved to break into General Tong's office; surely there were intelligence files on Tojo's location in there somewhere.
He hid in a truck on its way to Manzhouli. When he arrived, he snuck into the headquarters using the back door. He hid outside Tong's office until the general left to use the bathroom, then knocked out the unfortunate intern inside.
Bill leafed through the files that Tong received from the Intelligence Ministry, searching for anything on Tojo's location.
On the second file, he found what he was looking for. He felt so stupid.
Tojo, like any sane Japanese general, was in Tokyo.
"
Hey! What are you doing here?!" someone shouted.
Bill ran to the nearest car he could find and drove away as fast as he could. In his haste to get away from a very mad Tong, he didn't see the tank in front of him until it was too late.

He wasn't dead. He wished he was. He found himself in a hospital room. Nobody was around. Good. He could kill himself and reset now.
His face paled when he noticed that he was getting a blood transfusion.
He couldn't reset. He would die for real.
That instant, Ilse burst into the room, raising a knife to slash his throat.
"
Wait!" Bill cried.
"
What do you mean wait? We need to reset quickly!" Ilse said.
"
They gave me blood--I can't reset," Bill said.
Ilse sighed. "
I hope you got some useful information on this reset."
"
Tojo's in Tokyo, in his usual place. We just need a plane to get us there. If we kill him, we might be able to save the Empire from destruction."
Ilse slapped him. "
You idiot. That aside, how are we going to get a plane there?"
"
I have an idea."

This reminds me of that movie Edge of Tomorrow.
You are most certainly right! I am using it as inspiration for this part of the AAR.

Across the border from Chongjin
(early next morning)
"
ATTENTION!" came Jing's scream.
All of the soldiers practically fell out of their bunks, threw on their uniforms, and assembled in a straight line in front of Jing.
"
Today's the day! Destiny awaits, and the Eastern devils will be--WHERE THE CONFUCIUS IS JADE BATTALION?!" Jing screamed.

Over Japan

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" said one of the Jade Battalion paratroopers.
"When have I ever been wrong?" replied Bill.
"That time you said Tojo was in freaking Seoul instead of obviously in Tokyo," Ilse countered.
"Approaching Tokyo," said the pilot, "It's about four in the morning, with a slight fog over the city. I can get you guys into the palace complex where Tojo is currently residing, but that's the best I can do."
"Thanks anyways, that'll work," said Bill.
There was an explosion outside, and the plane pitched to the left. Machine gun fire strafed holes in the fuselage.

"JUMP!" Bill ordered.
The paratroopers leaped out the flaming plane while the pilot veered away to draw the Japanese planes away from them.
They landed in a garden, near Tojo's quarters. They had to move fast, as Tojo would likely relocate soon.
There was a shout from across the garden, and Japanese soldiers poured in.

"殺!" Bill shouted. "Kill them!"
The Jade Battalion opened fire, striking down the Japanese with each volley.

"We'll hold them off! You guys get Tojo!" shouted a soldier.
Bill and Ilse rushed off into the palace silently as the soldiers behind them began detonating grenades everywhere, sacrificing themselves.
They walked through the halls, towards a room guarded by two soldiers. Bill shot both of them without a second thought.
A gunshot rang out behind him, and Ilse shouted. She stumbled, a bullet wound in her right leg.
Behind her was Hiroshi Kataoka.

"Okay, this is getting stupid," Bill muttered.
"I'll take care of him," said Ilse.
She drew her sword and charged as Bill ran towards the end of the hall. He had fifty meters to cover before Hiroshi got to him.
After twenty meters, Ilse collapsed to the floor, impaled in Hiroshi's katana.
After thirty meters, Hiroshi managed to pull his katana free of Ilse's body.
After forty meters, Hiroshi sprinted after him.
Bill reached the door and flung it open, revealing a very surprised Tojo inside.

"It's all over now," Bill said as he raised his pistol.
He felt Japanese steel slide between his ribs and go straight through his heart as Hiroshi stabbed with his katana.

"Yes, it's all over now," Hiroshi added, "Glorious Nihon is triumphant!"
Bill chuckled.
"Why are you laughing?" Hiroshi said.
As Bill died, he pointed out the window.
Hiroshi's eyes widened as a Chinese bomber (the one from earlier), loaded with as many bombs as it could carry, flew straight at them.

"Think you're so special with your kamikazes? The Celestial Emperor and the Kaiser would like to have a word with you," Bill said.
BOOM.

January 1, 1934
Bill woke up to the sound of bells ringing. Was he in heaven?
No, he was in Manzhouli--again.
A boy ran up to him. "
The war's over! We won!"
"Wait, what?" Bill responded.
2015-05-27_00008.jpg
2015-05-27_00004.jpg
2015-05-27_00006.jpg

After reading some newspapers, Bill realized what had happened. There was still a disaster at Chongjin, but the Japanese lost a lot more men, and with Hiroshi's and Tojo's apparent death in a bombing the day before there was no morale to push into Manchuria; Ilse and much of the Jade Battalion survived due to be redeployed to aide in the assault on Vladivostok, and Bill retained his original rank. As a result, the Chinese managed to drive deep into Korea, even capturing Seoul with German support. At that point, the Koreans began a revolution against the Japanese overlords, and the Emperor sent aid to the restored Joseon Dynasty. In India, Gandhi and the Governor-General failed to prevent riots from breaking out, and a full-scale revolution overwhelmed the Raj.
On the Russian front, despite heavy casualties on both sides, the main German army in Europe managed to destroy the Soviet and French Commune armies in several decisive battles. The Commune put up heavy resistance in Vietnam, but ultimately the Kaiserlichs Heer was victorious.
At sea, the Chinese and German navies were more than a match for the Japanese and British navies, after spies stole blueprints for the most advanced ships from the Americans.
By Christmas, the Allied Powers and the Internationale were driven to their knees and forced to the bargaining table in Vienna.
Wilhelm and Puyi decided on the terms to force upon the Entente and Internationale:

The United Kingdom will grant independence to a newly established Republic of India.
The Empire of Japan will grant independence to the Korean people. The Empire of Japan will cede Port Arthur and Taiwan back to their rightful owner, the Chinese Empire. The Empire of Japan will cut down their military forces significantly as punishment for their aggression and intentions to take over all of Asia.
The Soviet Union will cede Outer Manchuria to the Chinese Empire. Vladivostok will be renamed to its Chinese name, Haishenwai. The Soviet Union will recognize the Chinese Empire's right to "protect Manchu minorities" in Siberia if they are "oppressed" in any way.
All participants of the war on the side of the Entente and Internationale will be forced to pay harsh reparations to the Chinese Empire and the German Empire. They will also cut down their armies to "reasonable and nonthreatening" limits and remain there for five years.
Thus ended the Second Weltkrieg.

Forbidden City
"Your Imperial Highness, with all due respect, I recommend that you not declare war so rashly next time. We almost lost this war, and a miracle was what saved us."
"Yes, indeed, Our Chancellor. We shall consider your words. Japan is still a threat and still has a colonial empire. It is Our will that they be completely dismantled. They must be brought back to their proper place under Heaven. Only then will the natural order of things be restored."
"May I remind you that I shall be resigning next month, your Imperial Highness? Have you found a replacement for the Chancellery yet?"
"As a matter of fact, my loyal subject, I have, Li Yuanhong. His name is Lin Sen..."

Last edited:
Reactions:
Woot, victory for China! Now would be a good time to fix up that army so they don't die in the hundreds of thousands. :p

Reactions:
Woot, victory for China! Now would be a good time to fix up that army so they don't die in the hundreds of thousands. :p
Yep, did that immediately. Replaced them all with mechanized infantry as soon as I unlocked them and researched as many army techs as possible. I got some...interesting results the next time I went to war. I kept behind the 8th Green Banner Army as the last of the old armies as a ceremonial guard for Beijing.
As a quick correction, the Wehrmacht was only used for Nazi Germany. Under Imperial Germany it would most likely be called the Kaiserlichs Heer.
Fixed. Thanks for letting me know!

Chapter 4: Peace in our Time (1934-1939)

While the rest of the world was gripped by the Great Depression and the Second Weltkrieg (which continued in Europe), China prospered.
On January 12, Germany reestablished diplomatic relations with Austria-Hungary, ostensibly to help prop up the imploding Habsburg state.
On February 4, the British Raj was dissolved, and all power was handed over to the Republic of India, which was still dominated by a British and Canadian upper class (primary culture: British; accepted cultures: Canadian).
2015-05-27_00018.jpg

Within weeks, India was partitioned into four nations: Burma, India, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan.
A year after the Second Weltkrieg, the Empire officially recognized the Soviet Union as a legitimate state.
2015-05-27_00038.jpg

In June of 1935, Pakistan and India went to war over Kashmir, with the Empire supporting India. Puyi ordered the newly restructured Imperial Army to march into the Punjab and Bangladesh. After several stunning victories over the Pakistani forces, Pakistan agreed to cede Kashmir to India and join the Imperial tributary system, which Burma joined a little bit later.
2015-05-28_00021.jpg

In other news, there was a diplomatic crisis in India when a certain American archaeologist turned adventurer broke into the presidential palace after escaping from a museum in Shanghai.

On August 2, 1936, Spain descended into a civil war between the Nationalists, led by Francisco Franco and supported by the Germans, and the loyalist forces, supported by the Soviets.
2015-05-28_00023.jpg
2015-05-28_00025.jpg

On January 1, 1938, the Kaiser declared that the people under the puppet government of Kaiserliche Deutschen Ukraine had been thorougly Germanized, and thus the puppet government had fulfilled its purpose.
2015-05-28_00036.jpg

In other news, Spitfire fighters were developed in the UK.
2015-05-28_00038.jpg

But Puyi and Chiang knew that Japan remained a threat to China's existence. Noticing that Japan had dismissed the British embassy and broke all ties with London, on New Year's Day 1939 Puyi ordered the Imperial Army to get ready for war the second the truce expired.
2015-05-28_00043.jpg

"The Celestial Empire will get its long-desired revenge against the Japanese menace!"

Last edited:
What's the cultural status of Europe? If the Ukraine has been germanized, that'd be a lot of Germans.

What's the cultural status of Europe? If the Ukraine has been germanized, that'd be a lot of Germans.
I didn't take any screenshots of culture, but I just made an IC justification for annexation of Ukraine. I would assume that there are a lot of Germans in the area. Wait until 1950 rolls around...

What happened to France after Germany beat it?
I forgot, but I think Germany added some acquire state wargoals and took Franche-Comte. They were bent on completely destroying the Commune.