• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tales of your misdeeds have been told from Chulak to Dakara!shouted Yu. This planet is a de jure part of my empire!

Consider this a declaration of WAR,added Ba’al, in a South African-like accent, Our armies will meet on the field of battle!
Is this meant to be a Civ V reference? Also, I apologize. This story fell out of my alerts so I'm catching up.

Is this meant to be a Civ V reference? Also, I apologize. This story fell out of my alerts so I'm catching up.

No problem! The passage you identified was part of my many references to Crusader Kings 2, which I started playing a couple weeks ago (forming the Roman Empire as a Hohenzollern in Berlin is intense!). My goal was to have Anubis be like a throwback to the CKII feudal system and the CKII hordes (my in-game events were pretty much the Sunset Invasion events with references to "Aztec" replaced with "Goa'uld").

How exactly does Ming get a colonial nation in 1444?

Time to kick some Goa'uld butt!

Well, I used console ("colonize" command) to give Ming enough but not too much land in California and have all of that land instantly converted to Confucianism; a CN formed in two days, and I then tag switched to it. Only the culture of the CN's capital (San Francisco) was changed to Jianghuai (Ming's primary culture), as the native cultures (Piman and Chinook) became accepted immediately. I started Chinese tech and tech level 2 (no idea groups), so the first ten or so years (as far as I've played so far) were quite boring, aside from a "Comet Sighted!" that occurred.

Out of curiosity, did you intend for the story to go this way when you started out?
An alien invasion? Definitely. The utter destruction of China, Germany, and an independent humanity? Probably not, but I had events in case that happened.

As for my next AAR, I've decided to do the Ming colonial nation one, as I've got some screenshots already. I probably won't start the thread for another week or so as I'll be on vacation after next week. Anyways, next update's coming up after this post.

125px-Flag_of_the_German_Empire.svg.png
85px-Wappen_Deutsches_Reich_-_Reichsadler_1889.svg.png
125px-Flag_of_the_Qing_dynasty_%281889-1912%29.svg.png

Return of the Celestial Empire, Part 1

Hyperspace, en route to Earth, November 7

The cargo ship hurtled down the blue tunnel of swirling energy, carrying with it two SN teams. Inside, Stefan constantly checked the particle beam device, making sure it worked. Kowalski sharpened his knife, and Johann flew the ship, as he was an experienced pilot. The rest of them were either sleeping or anxious about the coming battle.

“Hey, Stef, I’d like to ask you something,” said Johann.

“Yes, sir?” replied Stefan.

“If we do get out of this alive, and we do defeat the Goa’uld,” said Johann, “What do we do? Continue fighting them until we bring down their empire? And then what? Go back to a world just like it was before the invasion?”

“If Earth is saved, sir, then it will be greatly changed,” replied Stefan, “Perhaps we might not even recognize it as it is right now.”

“You ever wonder about Lehrer and what he went through in his last days?”

“Yes,” Stefan said, remembering the mission where they detonated a nuclear bomb on the homeworld of the System Lord Apophis, killing him but also Lehrer, whose life was slowly sapped away by radiation poisoning, and Teal’c, the Jaffa who defected from Apophis in their first mission after Ra was nuked in the face. “He just wanted to see the truth, to get the truth out there, to share it with others. He wanted knowledge, and he got it.”

She remembered Lehrer’s body dissolving into a formless mass of glowing white energy and then rising up to the heavens.

“I hope he’s happy, wherever he is,” she said.

“Oh, just a heads up, we’re approaching Earth,” announced Johann, “I’m going to get us as close to the surface as possible, so hold on tight.”

“Try not to teleport us into a mountain,” said Kowalski, “I’m getting nightmares after reading that one mission report for SN-9.”

“In 3…2…1…now!” Johann slammed down the relevant button.

The hyperspace window dissolved around them, hurtling them back into normal space. The cargo ship fell out of the clear blue sky over a barren snowy landscape.

“Frak!” shouted Johann as he pulled the throttle up as far as he could to barely avoid hitting a nearby mountain (“I told you so,” said Kowalski).

The ship swerved through the Antarctic mountain range, narrowly dodging the jagged sides of the mountains. Stefan grabbed a radar device that was programmed to look for underground man-made structures and switched it on.

“Sir, keep heading straight, the thing is right ahead of you!” she said, although the device erroneously showed the Lost City being quite smaller than it probably was.

The ship emerged from the mountain range into a flat plain that was large enough to fit all of downtown Frankfurt. Johann edged the throttle back, slowing down the craft until they stopped over where the device said the main portion of the Lost City was located. He then set down the ship gently on the snow and powered down most of the ship’s systems except for communications and shields.

“SN-2, set up a defensive perimeter,” ordered Johann, “SN-1, take the particle beam weapon and begin drilling down. We don’t have much time!”

In orbit around Earth

As the last of the Asgard and rebel forces retreated from the battlefield around the planet back into hyperspace, Anubis received a message from his vassals: “Good news, my lord. The population of the planet has finally been reduced to a more manageable 1.5 billion slaves!”

Excellent,” replied Anubis. There were enough slaves on this planet to supply all of his vassals’ demands for laborers for centuries. All surpluses after the sales were turned over to the Jaffa for target practice. It would be even better when they started worshipping him as a god again, like in the old days.

“My lord, we have detected two anomalous properties coming from the southern continent,” said the First Prime Gerak, “One was the spontaneous formation of a hyperspace window just above the surface, within the atmosphere. The other is a particle beam discharge, ongoing as we speak, drilling into the ice of the continent.”

Anubis realized that the Tau’ri had found the Lost City—the only thing that could possibly defeat him for once and for all.

Destroy them at all costs!he ordered.

Near the moon

(For the remainder of the update, please listen to this, as it makes things a lot more...interesting.)

The
Zheng He and the Bismarck silently flew through space, with the latter’s J-302 squadrons deployed and in battle formation. Ahead of them was Earth and the bulk of Anubis’s war-weary invasion fleet.

On the signal of the commander of the air group, all of the J-302s deployed fired their missiles at the nearest Ha’tak, turning tail and retreating to the Bismarck when Anubis deployed his death glider squadrons against them.

On the deck of the
Zheng He, Sophia walked over to a CD player she had built into the inter-ship communications system. She slipped in a CD of a musical piece she had personally composed before the invasion.

She activated the intercom.
This is the Emperor speaking,” she said, Prepare for turbulence.”

She pushed the “play” button.

Antarctic surface

Sir, we have multiple incoming targets heading our way,” said Kowalski, gesturing to the large number of radar contacts appearing on his screen.

Captain, are you there yet?” asked Johann.

I need two more minutes!” replied Stefan.

We don’t have two minutes! Those death gliders will be onto us in one minute! We don’t have antiaircraft with us!” shouted Johann.

I’m doing the best that I can do,” replied Stefan.

A bright flash of light from above caught their attention.
What the…” said Johann.

A hyperspace window opened up directly above them, and the Zheng He itself shot out, its armor glowing orange and smoking from the atmospheric reentry. It plunged from the skies, straight for SN-1.

Oh, frak me,” said Stefan, “Is Sophia that impulsive?

Zheng He

As the bridge shook and the
Zheng He descended through the atmosphere towards Earth, an intense and unorthodox harmony of taiko drum and bagpipe music blared loudly over the intercom. Sophia gripped the sides of the chair as she heard and felt and saw the air rush past outside the windows.

Launch all fighters now!” she ordered.

Flight Deck 1

Well, this ought to be different,” said Colonel Heinrich von Richthofen as he floored the throttle of his J-302 and rocketed down the runway, the rest of his squadron not far behind.

The mouth of the flight pod was covered in flames rushing upwards at a high speed. Other than that this was just a normal takeoff.

Heinrich’s squadron burst through the flames and veered away from the falling
Zheng He, descending to the ground.

Protect SN-1!” he radioed.

They fell on top of the Goa’uld aircraft with such ferocity as the Red Baron, Heinrich’s ancestor, had fallen upon the French and British planes in the First and Second Weltkriegs.

Zheng He

All fighters are away, Your Imperial Highness,” said the pilot.

Jump us out!” Sophia ordered.

Right before the ship slammed into the ground with the energy of a fifty megaton hydrogen bomb, a hyperspace window opened right under it, and the Zheng He vanished into it.

Anubis’s fleet

Sir, we are receiving audio signals from the Tau’ri ships,” said Gerak.

They must be surrendering,” said Anubis.

He was wrong as his fleet was suddenly bombarded with
March of the Volunteers” and “Die Wacht am Rhein” playing at full volume over his intercoms.

Antarctic surface

The teleportation rings inside the cargo ship suddenly activated, startling Stefan from her work for a second.

Puyi staggered out of the ship, towards the hole Stefan was blasting in the ground.

What are you doing here, sir?” asked Stefan

My granddaughter sent me to activate the Lost City, as Johann is busy,” Puyi explained.

Stefan pointed at Johann, who was busy shooting at the Jaffa closing in on them.

Don’t mind me!said Johann. Get Puyi down to the Lost City! That’s an order!

Stefan turned back to the energy drill. She was about 40% there…

Above the North Pole

The
Zheng He hovered above the Arctic after executing the Sophia Maneuver,” as some of the crew were already calling it.

A console sparked, and its operator cursed.

Status report,” ordered Sophia.

Sir, hyperdrive’s offline and will be for the next ten minutes,” explained a technician, “Sublight is barely working, life support is running (we are still alive), and shields are at 20 percent. Armor’s a bit fried. That maneuver really did a number on the ship.”

Sir!shouted the radar operator. DRADIS is picking up four incoming Ha’taks, closing in on us fast, ETA one minute.

Get those shields up to full strength quickly!” said Sophia.

But she could only watch as the Ha’taks surrounded the
Zheng He and began relentlessly pummeling it with blasts of plasma…

An alien invasion? Definitely. The utter destruction of China, Germany, and an independent humanity? Probably not, but I had events in case that happened.

As for my next AAR, I've decided to do the Ming colonial nation one, as I've got some screenshots already. I probably won't start the thread for another week or so as I'll be on vacation after next week. Anyways, next update's coming up after this post.

Ah, that sounds really interesting. Bring the mandate to those Aztec barbarians!

That was an awfully dangerous plan. Everyone knows you're not supposed to open a hyperspace window in a planet's atmosphere. :rolleyes:

That was an awfully dangerous plan. Everyone knows you're not supposed to open a hyperspace window in a planet's atmosphere. :rolleyes:
Unless you're William Adama though...:D

125px-Flag_of_the_German_Empire.svg.png
85px-Wappen_Deutsches_Reich_-_Reichsadler_1889.svg.png
125px-Flag_of_the_Qing_dynasty_%281889-1912%29.svg.png

Return of the Celestial Empire, Part 2
And now, the conclusion...​

Over the North Pole

The Ha’taks continued their merciless bombardment of the Zheng He. Inside, more consoles began sparking and even exploding as the shields slowly withered away. Soon, only the thick armor of the ship, designed to survive naquadah-enhanced nuclear explosions, was keeping Sophia and her crew from being destroyed and snuffed out in the darkness of space.

“Hull integrity at forty percent,” said the pilot, “I’m not sure if we can last much longer.”

Sophia spoke into the intercom again. “I suppose this is cliché, but it’s been an honor serving with all of you brave men and women.”

At that moment, a volley of naquadah-enhanced nuclear missiles slammed into the nearest Ha’tak mothership, quickly penetrating the shields and blowing apart the ship. But the Zheng He’s weapons systems were offline, and the Bismarck was nowhere in the area. Then it must be…Sophia realized.

The Wilhelm II shot into view, guns blazing. Its next volley took out another Ha’tak effortlessly.

General Putin’s face appeared in a hologram in front of Sofia.

“привет товарищ,” he said, “We meet again, Eastern reactionary capitalists.”

“Why are you here?!” shouted Sophia. “We ordered you to guard the Alpha Site!”

“You would not survive without my assistance,” replied Putin.

Sophia sighed and cut off the feed.

“Hyperdrive’s back up,” said the technician.

“Get us out of here,” she said.

The Zheng He accelerated into a hyperspace window and vanished, leaving the Wilhelm II behind to fight the Ha’taks, which then targeted Putin.

Putin realized too late that his ship was at its breaking point. The bombardment took its toll on the Wilhelm II, with shields failing quickly and hyperdrive disabled in minutes.

When his pilot was killed when his console exploded, Putin took control of the helm and put the ship on a collision course with the nearest and largest group of Ha’taks. He floored the sublight engines of the Wilhelm II, charging at the enemy, which desperately shot back to slow him down.

But they couldn’t slow him down, not like this.

He gave the order to abandon ship but himself remained onboard. He would become a martyr in the name of Syndicalism. The crew quickly departed in the ship’s 302 squadrons.

With a defiant cry of “For Mother Russia!” Putin rammed the Wilhelm II into the Ha’tak, which detonated the Wilhelm II’s naquadriah-based reactor, utterly wiping out all twenty enemy ships within a thousand miles.

Antarctic surface

As J-302s screeched overhead, attacking both the death gliders in the air and the Jaffa deployed on the ground, the drill reached its target. At the bottom, a small cavern appeared, with a paved floor or road revealed under the ice.

“Got it!” shouted Stefan.

“Go!” replied Johann.

“We’ll hold them off!” said Kowalski, still shooting at enemies.

Stefan put on some basic climbing gear, handed some climbing gear to Puyi, and jumped into the icy white abyss, rappelling down the side rapidly, Puyi not far behind.

They descended some one hundred feet before reaching solid ground—not Antarctic ice, but solid ground. Ahead of them was a corridor of ice and ancient metal held together by more ice after millions of years of wear and tear.

Stefan picked up her gun and advanced through the corridor, switching on the flashlight set on her gun. Behind and above her, the sounds of gunfire and men screaming continued. Every once in a while a missile exploded, shaking the cavern and dislodging some ice.

Eventually the corridor opened up into a small room, where the walls were partly metal and partly ice. The floor was mostly intact, with a path leading up to a raised hexagonal platform in the center of the room. A fancy-looking chair was situated in the middle of the platform.

“Power supply,” said Stefan.

Puyi placed the power supply in her hands, and she stepped over to a small niche at one of the corners of the platform. She pushed the power supply into the niche, which fit perfectly. The crystal device began glowing a dull orange-yellow.

Puyi instinctively rushed to the chair and sat in it without thinking. He leaned back as the chair started glowing a bright blue…

Surface

There were too many of them. Even with air support on their side, Johann and Kowalski and SN-2 could not hold off the huge levies that Anubis could raise even in Antarctica. Where was the Bismarck, anyways?

Johann ran out of ammunition and cursed. He rushed up to the nearest Jaffa and clubbed him with the rifle, seizing his zat’nik’tel sidearm and staff weapon. With one hand he fired off the zat at targets, the first shot paralyzing and the second killing. The other hand fired the staff weapon.

Suddenly there was a large rumbling from underground, and the Jaffa stopped firing, themselves also confused by the sudden earthquake.

From the hole drilled in the ice flew a swarm of yellow drone-like missiles, spreading out and flying after anything Goa’uld in origin. The Jaffa were instantly swarmed by the drones, and when the drones were done, nothing was left of them, not even bones.

“Poor fellows,” said Johann, knowing that the Jaffa were just as enslaved to the Goa’uld as the humans of Earth and did not deserve this death.

The drones then attacked the enemy aircraft, with each projectile taking out at least one death glider and al’kesh at a time. Within seconds the attacking force was decimated, with the survivors attempting to escape but also getting mowed down. Nothing of the enemy could escape Puyi’s wrath.

With all Goa’uld troops and aircraft in the area destroyed, the drones flew off into space to finish off Anubis’s fleet.

Orbit

The drones slammed into each Ha’tak mercilessly, tearing it apart from the inside. As Anubis looked on, each of his vassals attempted to raise his or her shields, only for the drones to go through those shields as well as if they weren’t there.

As the drones attacked his flagship, Gerak said, “Sir, our shields are of no use!”

Rather than screaming “NOOOOOOOO!and dying then and there, Anubis rushed to his escape pod and climbed in. The small sarcophagus-shaped pod quickly detached from the exploding flagship and hurtled towards the southern continent, managing to avoid the drones that were flying up to decimate his fleet.

Antarctica

Puyi and Stefan climbed out of the hole and found Kowalski and Johann cheering and drinking some Bavarian beer.

“Uh, boys, where did you get that beer?” she asked.

“Doesn’t matter!” shouted Johann, slightly drunk. “We won! We saved Earth!”

“Anubis’s back to where he should belong,” said Kowalski, “The underworld!”

They all laughed, except for Puyi, who noticed something fall out of the sky and impact the ice.

“Uh, guys?” he pointed to the escape pod that had crashed near them.

The hatch of the pod opened, and Anubis stepped out (stepped was an approximation, as Anubis didn’t have feet). SN-1 and 2 immediately raised their guns at him, opening fire when Anubis advanced towards them.

As the bullets harmlessly zipped through Anubis’s semi-incorporeal form, the semi-ascended being shouted, I AM A GOD! I CANNOT BE DEFEATED!

“Like hell you are,” said Puyi, pulling out the Colt, “If you’re a god, then you should know what this gun is capable of.”

Anubis’s formless face had a look of surprise and then shock, if one could identify emotions on a formless face.

Puyi pulled the trigger on the Colt, and a bullet laced with white energy lanced straight at the former System Lord. Although his form was partly incorporeal, he still could not teleport.

The bullet struck him in the “chest” and detonated. Anubis’s body and cloak shuddered and rippled with white energy, which spread in crack-like formations.

Anubis dropped to his knees in pain. No, this can’t be,he said, That gun isn’t supposed to exist in this universe! You aren’t supposed to exist!

Puyi turned to Stefan, confused. “We stole it from a universe where supernatural creatures exist and two American brothers used it to hunt the more powerful but had no further use for it after attempting to kill Satan with it,” replied Stefan, “It’s a really long story.”

Anubis roared a cry of an animal in its dying throes. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

His form disintegrated and dissolved into particles of darkness, which in turn dissolved into invisible nothingness, leaving no trace of the former System Lord behind.

Humanity’s most dangerous threat was gone…for good.

---

Next and final update will be the epilogue. Thanks for reading!

Now that the Gou'ald is basically dead, what next?

That's what I'll write about in the epilogue. I've also decided to split the epilogue into multiple parts, as what I have written already is too long to fit into one final update.

There are much worse things than the Goa'uld out there. Maybe there are some ascended god-like beings with a superiority complex or life-sucking vampiric creatures out there. :D

There are much worse things than the Goa'uld out there. Maybe there are some ascended god-like beings with a superiority complex or life-sucking vampiric creatures out there. :D
Or, gods forbid, both.;)

125px-Flag_of_Prussia_1892-1918.svg.png
85px-Wappen_Deutsches_Reich_-_K%C3%B6nigreich_Preussen_%28Grosses%29.png
125px-Flag_of_the_Qing_Dynasty_%281889-1912%29.svg.png

New Order

With the destruction of all Goa’uld ships and infrastructure and a good chunk of Anubis’s precious Jaffa levies and retinues, his vassals began rebelling en masse. Yu, Amaterasu, and Baal took the opportunity and launched counterattacks on Anubis’s territory, with the three of them agreeing to leave Earth alone after seeing the devastation caused by the Ancient superweapon in Antarctica. Soon the Goa’uld Empire had fragmented into smaller fiefdoms of independent warring System Lords, with each Goa’uld attempting to gain an edge over other Goa’uld through marrying for alliances, incest, carefully placed assassinations to secure succession, and sometimes all-out war.

With the invasion fleet destroyed, the Chinese and German armies on Earth began attacking the former vassals of Anubis, which now no longer had their overlord’s protection. The enslaved human populations rose up, as per Putin’s plan, and stormed Goa’uld administration buildings, killing their overlords and their collaborators. Africa was the first to go, with the Egyptians storming the pyramids, sacking the landed Ha’taks there, and burying the Giza stargate as their ancestors had thousands of years ago. The Emperor of Ethiopia in exile “unleashed the Ark of the Convenant,” claiming to instantly wipe out the “godless alien savages” and liberating the entirety of Ethiopia (actually it was just Mittelafrikan troops coming out from the Congo). Nonetheless, the Empire of Abyssinia ended up conquering everything along the eastern African coast between Eritrea and Mozambique.

When it became clear that their holdings in the rest of the galaxy were being threatened by the anarchy caused by the death of Anubis, the System Lords on Earth retreated, taking with them most of their levies or even outright abandoning their Earth holdings. None of them managed to even reach orbit, as the weapons platform killed them all the instant they left the ground.

The Canadians struck back before the other Great Powers, practically liberating all of North America. Next were the Argentinean armies, who marched out of the Amazon and the Andes to liberate all of South America and Central America. With Brazil crippled permanently economically and militarily, they could not hold on to Great Power status and their hegemony over South America, which was usurped by Argentina.

German and Chinese colonial troops came out of hiding in the Sahara and Congo, raiding slave pens throughout Africa and freeing their occupants. Eventually they formed the core of the militaries of the new African states that rose from the ashes of yesterday's colonial empires.

A month after the destruction of Anubis, the liberation of the world pretty much became a land-grab by the eight Great Powers, despite Sophia’s best efforts to control it. In the end, all of them were forced to relinquish all gains made, including those made over the last century.

The Chinese Empire was formally restored on the Winter Solstice of 2006, with a coronation ceremony for Sophia taking place at the Ming imperial palace in the provisional capital of Nanjing, as the Temple of Heaven and the Forbidden City as well as all of Beijing had both been annihilated in the invasion. Sophia was then forced to acknowledge an independent Japan and Sibir Khaganate (an alliance of Turkic and Mongol steppe nomads stretching from Tomsk to Kamchatka), as well as recognizing the independence of the former satellites of Hawaii, Vietnam, Philippines, and Indonesia. The Pacific States were granted their independence as a Dominion of China, with its king soon declaring himself Emperor of Pacifica. Thus, China was reduced to its roughly 1836 borders in the end, with its tributary network and sphere of influence destroyed for now; it held on to Central Asia in the form of a satellite state called the “Central Asian Empire” for about a month before it declared independence. China’s population stabilized at around three hundred million, the most populous of all of the post-invasion nation-states. Literacy, formerly at 100%, was now under twenty percent due to the Goa’uld’s use of the nish’ta drug and torture devices to deter the population from trying to read or write. A majority of all Chinese now suffered severe health consequences when even the words “reading” or “writing” were mentioned to them or when presented with a book or any piece of paper with words on it.

India collapsed into three nations: a Sultanate of Rajastan in the northwest, a Kingdom of Hyderabad in the south, and a Kingdom of Bengal in the east. Pakistan lost Kashmir to Rajastan and Bangladesh to Bengal, as well as a lot of Baluchistani land to Persia.

Persia was forced to cede all of its Afghan territory to Afghanistan, and both nations were among the poorest on the planet, their infrastructures destroyed or stolen by the Goa’uld.

Germany fared even worse than China. The Goa’uld had worked hard to destroy the pan-German identity that had arisen after 1806, and they by and large succeeded through classic conditioning, drug abuse, and torture. When the last surviving relative of the Kaiser ascended the throne again in Berlin, only those living within the 1836 borders of Prussia acknowledged his rule. The rest of Germany had splintered off into small city-states, each with its own national and regional identity, refusing to acknowledge the pan-German identity that had brought the Reich together in 1871. The new Kaiser of Prussia was forced to assume the role of a modern Holy Roman Emperor, ruling over an incredibly decentralized realm. Prussia was then forced to return Elsass-Lothringen to the French and everything east of Danzig to Poland. The Constitution of the German Empire was dissolved, and the title of German Emperor became like that of the Holy Roman Emperor in 1806, except without the elective monarchy part.

The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was dissolved into Estonia, Poland, Lithuania, and Latvia, with Lithuania the dominant power in Eastern Europe.

Byzantium was never restored. The Palaeologus family had been exterminated by the Goa’uld during the occupation, and Constantinople was annihilated, so the former lands of Byzantium were divided into Romania, Bulgaria, an Ottoman Caliphate based in Ankara, and a Kingdom of Greece based in Athens. In the Middle East, Arabia ceded land in the north to an independent Kurdish state (the Kurds had waged a long and bloody insurgency against the Goa’uld and were willing to defend their freedom to the death) and land on the Mediterranean coast to Israel, now a kingdom under a Solomonid and in de facto personal union with Abyssinia.

The Chinese colonial possessions in West Africa were divided up into an Empire of Mali, Sultanate of Sokoto, Republic of Liberia-Nigeria, Berber Empire of Carthage-Tunis, and the Empire of the Ashanti (assume that there are smaller states, but these are the most relevant ones). Mittelafrika was divided into a Kingdom of the Congo, Madagascar, Kingdom of Namibia, and Kingdom of the Equator. The Central African Empire and other pre-invasion states retained their original borders. The German possessions on the Horn of Africa were turned over to the Empire of Abyssinia, and those on the southeastern coast of the continent were turned over to a Sultanate of Kilwa, which then successfully demanded the Portuguese territories as well.

Back in Europe, Spain was fragmented into the kingdoms of Catalonia, Castile, Leon-Asturias, Galicia, Navarra, Aragon, and a Sultanate of Granada (after the Goa’uld imported Berber slaves to Iberia) due to the fact that no local ruler could assert influence and control over all of Spain. Portugal remained the same. Italy was fragmented into Sicily, Naples, Sardinia, Piedmont, leaving only the city of Rome to the actual Kingdom of Italy, where the king fought a constant civil war with republican forces under President Berlusconi. Austria was forced to grant independence to Bohemia and Czechoslovakia. Russia was forced to grant independence to Finland and Ukraine, while Scandinavia was dissolved, and Sweden, Denmark, Greenland, Iceland, and Norway took its place.

Canada fell apart, ceding territory to Quebec, the Maritime Union, Columbia, Newfoundland, and the United States, which in turn fell apart into the Confederacy (with slavery outlawed) and the Free States of America after a simple immigration debate (the Confederacy was led by a former real-estate tycoon and nativist). Mexico stayed generally intact and filled in the power vacuum left by Canada’s fall from power after a coup in which an Iturbide seized power as Emperor. It maintained friendly relations with the California-based Empire of Pacifica.

Not much changed in South America or the British Isles, aside from Argentina's rise.

The total world population stabilized at about 1.5 billion people, with the other 4.5 billion either dead or taken off-world to the rest of the Goa’uld Empire as slaves. Literacy rates and standards of living had dropped immensely; most civilians now blindly worshipped Egyptian gods and reacted adversely to non-theological education; some even formed mobs and burned down universities and libraries, claiming that “the books will kill us and the gods!” The Great Powers of the world were, in order of least powerful to most powerful: Canada, China, Argentina, Lithuania, Siberia, Belgium, Australia, and Mexico.

Victory for humanity had come at a very large price.

---

Next time: Mongols in space!

O_O
> Mexico
> number 1

I honestly don't see how China still isn't most powerful. All they lost was some wasteland that didn't make much of a difference.
Well, they did lose at least 70% of their population, 50% of their farmland, 90% of their infrastructure, 80% of their literacy rate, 60% of their working age fighting males, and all of their possessions in Central Asia, Africa, and the Americas, not to mention their sphere of influence and tributary network was dismantled and their satellites were granted independence.
O_O
> Mexico
> number 1
Yes, Mexico. I ranked them based on who suffered the least in the Goa'uld occupation. As Mexico did not oppose the invaders, they were better off than, say, Germany. Especially Germany. Or should I put Jan Mayen in the number 1 Great Power spot?:p

Ah, that makes more sense. Damn Quislingos.
It was more of a "you don't resist me, I don't slaughter you guys" kind of thing. But there were collaborators just like in the rest of the world. Like in Germany there was heavy resistance, resulting in a modern EUIV HRE-kind of situation there. In Mexico there wasn't much resistance as they didn't expect the Goa'uld to come and thus were unprepared and surrendered once they saw what happened to the rest of the world. Therefore they were generally left intact.

Sounds like every possible revolter nation came into existence. Mexico seems to be the only one who survived that fate. No wonder they're number one now.

Reactions: