• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry to hear you had your laptop stolen. People just don't understand how taking such a thing can deprive someone of important memories or files. :(

I'd be fine if you ended it here, since as you said you cannot continue it in-game. If you're up to writing out the rest, by all means do that. I'd be fun to read, but I wouldn't blame you for cutting it short now.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

In an unfortunate twist of poetic justice, yesterday I found that my laptop had been stolen, and along with it all of my games, save files, mods, and screenshots. As such, I am declaring this AAR on hiatus for the time being, as I cannot continue it in any way. Thank you all for sticking around this long, so I would like to ask you guys one last question: would you like me to write a continuation of what I envisioned the storyline to play out of should I just declare this finished and wait until I can buy a new laptop?
1 - That's terrible! Do you have any leads or way to track it down such as through an IP address or GPS program on it?

2 - I'd be okay with a continuation of it if you feel up to it.

1 - That's terrible! Do you have any leads or way to track it down such as through an IP address or GPS program on it?

2 - I'd be okay with a continuation of it if you feel up to it.
Unfortunately I was stupid enough not to do any of that, and it's now almost impossible to trace. On a brighter note, I just bought a new laptop and am in the process of setting it up. I should be able to redownload my files and applications tomorrow at the earliest.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I've decided to continue the AAR to the best of my memory. It will be in a similar format as what I have been writing so far, but it will be primarily text based. The next update may take a while, as I've got exams to study for right now...

Malvinas, not Falklands

On April 2, 1982, the Kingdom of England (officially “the British Empire”) declared war on the Republic of Argentina and its ally Chile in order to reclaim South Georgia and the Falklands (or Las Malvinas as Argentina called it). An English Elizabeth-class aircraft carrier (bought from and built by Canada), the King George III, appeared off the coast of the Falklands at the head of a large fleet, which bombarded the forts and naval bases on the islands relentlessly. Ground troops soon followed, staging an amphibious assault on the two targets. In under a week, England had seized control of both South Georgia and the Falklands.

However, they would not hold onto them for much longer. Chilean and Argentinean ships armed with German missiles and radar equipment managed to surprise the English, and in one decisive battle sunk the majority of the English invasion fleet, with only the King George III managing to escape into the Atlantic. The ground troops stationed in the Falklands and South Georgia held out for 74 days before surrendering. On June 14, 1982, the Queen ordered Foreign Minister Margaret Thatcher to personally send a peace treaty to Argentina on the following terms:

-England will renounce all claims to the Falklands and South Georgia.

-England will pay moderate reparations to Argentina (and Chile).

-The Queen of England and Margaret Thatcher will personally visit Argentinean President Leopoldo Galtieri and issue a sincere apology to him.

The defeat of the English in the Falklands War boosted the morale of all South American nations; for the first time since the wars of independence in the 1820s, a South American nation had managed to defeat a major European power in a (somewhat) one-on-one fight.
The King of Portugal, Dom Duarte Pio, reigning from Rio de Janiero at the helm of the Empire of Brazil (a constitutional monarchy dominating the continent), watched the Falklands War with much interest. If England could be defeated by mere Argentina, surely Brazil, as a Great Power, could take on the fascist dictatorship that had controlled Portugal for decades and restore its monarchy as the Chinese and countless other monarchies had.

Dom Duarte Pio issued a declaration of war to dictator Dom Pedro of Portugal within a week of England’s defeat in the Falklands War. The next day, a five megaton thermonuclear warhead was detonated in the skies over Lisbon, scrambling Portuguese communications systems and dealing moderate damage. Brazilian bombers flew over Portugal day and night out from Fortaleza and refueled in Spanish Galicia with Chinese authorization. Emperor Wilhelm politely declined Brazil’s offer to join the war against Portugal, although he had been thinking about destroying the last bastion of fascism since he ascended the throne.

The Brazilian fleet arrived off the coast of Lisbon in late August, deploying thousands upon thousands of troops, which proceeded to swarm the city. However, Dom Pedro did not give up without a fight, and the Portuguese and Brazilians fought in the streets for weeks, trading hundreds of lives just for one small alley at a time.

Finally, the presidential palace was captured by the Brazilians, and the soldiers captured the surviving members of the Portuguese dictatorship. In an impromptu trial presided over by Dom Duarte Pio himself, all of them were sentenced to death for “treason against the King.”

Duarte Pio, Emperor of Brazil, was crowned King of Portugal the next day, on October 5, 1982.

Thus the last fascist stronghold was destroyed.

In other news, Germany defeated Brazil in the World Cup final with the final score standing at 7 to 1.

7:1; never forget.

That's certainly a different legacy for Margaret Thatcher. :p

They sure use a lot of nuclear weapons in this timeline. I'm surprised they all haven't died from radiation poisoning. :D

7:1; never forget.

That's certainly a different legacy for Margaret Thatcher. :p

They sure use a lot of nuclear weapons in this timeline. I'm surprised they all haven't died from radiation poisoning. :D
A lot already have in England. Remember Puyi's offhand remark about the extent of the radiation poisoning in the UK shortly before he was attacked?
The Brazilian nuclear strike was detonated in the atmosphere, and its goal was to disrupt Portuguese communications, so casualties probably weren't as high.

1983-1989

September 26, 1983 – Berlin

Stanislaus Petrov, Lieutenant Colonel in the Kaiserlich Heer, was on duty, monitoring the command center of the Reich’s early warning satellite system. His job was to watch the network and notify the General Staff in the case of a nuclear warhead heading for the German Empire, and if necessary launch a counter-attack against the attacking nation (most likely the Chinese Empire).

He was getting tired. He drank some coffee and resumed watching the screen. It was after midnight now, and his shift would soon be over.

A blip appeared on the computer. A single dot was headed straight for Berlin. He tapped the monitor and pushed a few buttons. The blip was still there.

The Chinese had launched a warhead at the Germans.

Why would they do something like this? Their emperor had disavowed the widespread use of nuclear weapons, especially against Germany, stating that it would destroy humanity if a nuclear war would happen. Then again, why launch just one?

Four more blips appeared on the radar, all headed straight for Berlin.

Petrov punched the screen. It was most likely a computer error. The Chinese would not be stupid enough to launch just five missiles. Plus, the system had broken down last week due to a severe malfunction.

He sat back in his chair and took a nap for the remainder of the shift.

Macs and Kashmir

The year 1984 was remembered by most Americans as the year that the Super Bowl returned. Millions across the continent, in both Canadian and Chinese territories, watched the games play out from Cherokee-owned Colorado. During the half time show, there was a peculiar commercial made by a little-known company operating out of the San Francisco Bay Area, named Apple.

Within weeks, the Macintosh became the best-selling computer in all of the Empire, making Apple the richest company in Chinese North America and allowing it to compete with mainland Chinese brands.

On April 13, 1984, Indian troops marched into Kashmir, a longtime Pakistani state. When questioned by Korean journalists, President Indira Gandhi claimed that Kashmir was a de jure part of India. Pakistan quickly called in the Empire, which carried out an intensive bombing campaign against India. By summer, India had surrendered under the following terms:

- India will become a member of the Imperial tributary network again, renouncing its status as a Great Power.

- India will pay moderate reparations to the Empire and Pakistan.

- India will renounce all claims to Kashmir.

- India will cease attempting to sabotage the Imperial tributary network.

- Indira Gandhi will personally kowtow to Emperor Wilhelm in Beijing.

With Asia firmly under his control once more, Wilhelm turned his attention to the Americas.

The Summer Olympics were hosted by the Empire in Los Angeles, with Germany refusing to participate and actually boycotting the games. Emperor Wilhelm presided over the opening ceremony of the Olympics, giving a speech on the strength of the Chinese people and the longevity of Chinese civilization as performers demonstrated Chinese culture to the rest of the world behind him. Canada and the Empire were tied for the most medals in the end.

Canada then hosted a World’s Fair in the city New Orleans, inviting nations from across the world to participate. Neither the Empire nor Germany decided to participate, the former arguing that they had already shown the world its cultural heritage during the Olympics and does not wish to do it again.

In August, Wilhelm joked that he would “begin bombing” Germany “in five minutes” during a voice check for a radio broadcast. The Kaiser did not appreciate his humor.

In October, English reporters from the BBC detailed a huge famine in the Empire of Ethiopia which Emperor Haile Selassie was having trouble managing. Imperial troops were immediately dispatched to relieve the farmers and provide humanitarian aid.

Indira Gandhi was assassinated at the end of the month by Sikh extremists, provoking outrage from across the Sinosphere and even Wilhelm himself.

“She may be a republican, but nobody messes with India but me!” he said.

Space Shuttles and Persia

Since the end of the Houyi Program in 1979, the Tian Agency had been working on “space shuttles” that could serve as reusable spacecraft. They promised to revolutionize space travel.

In early 1985, Islamic militants rose up against the Chinese-backed shah of Persia, a longtime member of the tributary network. The Iranian Revolution was quick and bloody, with the loyalist forces overwhelmed almost immediately. The shah was forced to flee across the border to Byzantine-controlled Iraq, as the militants were guarding the border with the Empire.

A new Islamic Republic was established on February 11, 1985, with Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini as the new leader of “Iran.” The Ayatollah envisioned Islam as “the one true liberator” against the evils of German capitalism, Chinese imperialism, and decadent Western ideas. The motto of the revolutionaries was: “Neither East nor West – Islamic Republic!” Almost immediately the new regime began a harsh crackdown on social liberties. German and Chinese education systems were replaced with Qur’an study and theology, with science and biology banned as “decadent imperialist inventions.” All universities were shut down. Women were forced to wear veils covering most of their bodies. Men were forced to abandon German and Chinese styles of clothing. All foreigners were expelled. Revolutionaries stormed the Chinese embassy in Tehran and held 52 diplomats hostage for over a year.

In 1986, Iran launched an invasion of Byzantine Iraq, with the Greeks retaliating with limited nuclear bombardment of Isfahan and Tehran. Imperial troops invaded Persia from the north and east simultaneously with Greek forces from the west, and the Islamic Republic was toppled by the end of the year. The shah was restored to power, with Imperial troops permanently stationed in Persia to maintain order.

The relative success of the Islamic Revolution inspired Muslims across the former Ottoman territories to rise up against the Greeks, beginning decades of terrorist insurgency. Militants bombed the cities of Jerusalem, Damascus, and Baghdad in an attempt to declare independence from the Greeks. A coalition of Greek and Imperial troops were sent into the Middle East but only managed to lock the militants in a stalemate. The Jews in Palestine, having lived there since the Fifth Weltkrieg after the Greeks banned anti-Semitism and allowed them to return to the Promised Land, were prime targets. The Greeks spent considerable resources trying to protect them from militants such as Hezbollah and Abu Nidal (which hijacked an Indian civilian plane on September 5 and attacked a synagogue in Constantinople the next day).

The space shuttle Sun Tzu exploded during Chinese New Year’s. Wilhelm led the nation in mourning the brave taikonauts lost in the explosion.

Brazil got its revenge against Germany in the 1986 World Cup in Mexico City, winning 3-2.

In October, the Queen of England visited Beijing, meeting with Emperor Wilhelm.

June 12, 1987 – Paris

Emperor Wilhelm looked at the concrete wall that divided Paris in two. The southern and western portions were under Greek control, while the northern and eastern portions were under German administration.

The wall ran straight under the Eiffel Tower, where Wilhelm was giving his speech (from the Greek side, of course). Tensions were running high between the Greeks and the Germans, and a war would be devastating.

We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty and freedom under a benevolent monarch can only strengthen the cause of world peace. There is one sign the German Empire can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace. Kaiser Louis Ferdinand, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the German Empire and all of Europe, if you seek peace, come here to this gate. Mr. Hohenzollern, open this gate. Mr. Hohenzollern, tear down this wall!

The Kaiser refused to comment on the speech.

I like how you're tying in some historical moments into your history. The whole Iranian Revolution and the the "Paris" Wall speech were a nice touch.

I'm curious to find out what that radar incident was in Berlin. Seems awfully suspicious.

1989 and other things

Emperor Hirohito of Japan, who had lived through all five Weltkriegs, died on January 7, 1989 in Kyoto, China. His son Akihito was crowned Emperor of Japan immediately, with Wilhelm presiding over the ceremony.

On April 15, former Interior Minister Hu Yaobang died of a heart attack; he was notorious for having been forced to "resign" from the Diet. Chinese students at the University staged a protest, lobbying the Imperial Diet to reverse the “verdict” leading to Hu’s sacking and provide a better funeral for him. The Diet failed to react in time to the student protests, and on April 22 fifty thousand students marched on Tiananmen Square. The demonstrations became protests, and demands for Hu’s rehabilitation escalated into demands for a constitutional monarchy or even a full democracy. Chancellor Deng declared martial law in Beijing on May 20, with tanks and Imperial troops deployed in Beijing. They were met with a ten meter high statue resembling the Statue of Liberty (it was confiscated and destroyed the next day).

200px-Goddess_of_Democracy_at_UBC.jpg

On June 5, a column of Imperial tanks was held up by a single protestor, dubbed “Tank Man.” For five whole minutes, four tanks were brought to a halt on Chang’an Avenue before security forces detained him. The whole thing was filmed by BBC reporters and broadcasted live in the Americas and Europe. The Kaiser condemned Wilhelm’s harsh crackdown on the protestors.

300px-Tianasquare.jpg

On June 24, Chancellor Deng retired from politics and was succeeded by Jiang Zemin. Chancellor Jiang’s immediate course of action was to disperse the protestors with the troops assembled in Beijing; dozens of students were killed or injured in the crackdown. Luckily, the movement collapsed as soon as the crowds were dispersed. Wilhelm sighed with relief.

220px-Jiang_Zemin_St._Petersburg2002.jpg

Chancellor Jiang Zemin

A huge earthquake rocked Chinese California in October, dealing severe damage to the infrastructure and interrupting the World Series between the Giants and the A’s (the Giants won when the game resumed). Imperial troops were immediately dispatched to the region.
170px-Bay_Bridge_collapse.jpg

Damage done in the earthquake to the Bay Bridge

On November 9, the Paris Wall was torn down as the Kaiser gave in to the Emperor’s demands. Liberalization movements were springing up across the German Empire, and the Kaiser’s armies were being overstretched. Limited constitutionalism had already been implemented, yet the people kept demanding more. Like the protesters in Tiananmen Square, they lobbied for a fully constitutional monarchy or even a democracy, reducing the Kaiser to a figurehead. That would go against everything the Hohenzollerns and Puyi had fought for. Wilhelm and Louis Ferdinand met in Geneva to discuss the liberal movements that kept rising up across the Reich and ways to manage them. Monarchism would not go down without a fight.

Good thing the Emperor still has a tight hold on the empire. We can have the nation succumbing to ridiculous things like liberalism. :D

Nuking your Capitol doesn't seem to be a good way to win the hearts and minds of the people you need to be liberating, Brazil.
It was more of an EMP burst than an actual nuclear strike, so there were fewer casualties.

Good thing the Emperor still has a tight hold on the empire. We can have the nation succumbing to ridiculous things like liberalism. :D
Let's see how the Kaiser manages them then.

Nice reference to that Russian false alarm that happened during the Cold War. I remember reading about it in "10 events that could have ended the world."

Reactions:
Nice reference to that Russian false alarm that happened during the Cold War. I remember reading about it in "10 events that could have ended the world."
Thanks! I really like putting in references to real life in my works (mild spoilers for next update).

Umstrukturierung (or, Der Untergang)

On January 1, the provincial Diet of Bohemia voted to end the hereditary aristocratic system present within its borders. All nobles were stripped of their rights, and the governorship became an elected position. Berlin reacted with horror to the events in Prague and immediately sent in ground troops to suppress the liberalization.

On January 13, Poles and Lithuanians declared independence from the Reich and crown Prince Ruediger of Saxony as king of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The Kaiser responded by deploying the Kaiserlich Heer in Vilnius, Warsaw, and Krakow to suppress the rebellion. A referendum held on February 9 would show that most Lithuanians and Poles supported the independence of the Commonwealth.

In the Middle East, the Empire initiated Operation Desert Storm—the invasion of Kuwait, an Islamic militant stronghold and port city which had huge oil reserves. Air strikes began on January 16, with Imperial J-14 jet fighters screeching over the desert, covering for massive Imperial and Greek troop operations on the ground.

On January 17, King Olav V of Norway passed away and was succeeded by his son, Harald V, four days later. The same day, militants fired rockets at Palestine, devastating Tel Aviv. The English were persuaded to join the war in Iraq, and the SAS was deployed there.

Huge rebellions broke out in northern Iraq and southern Anatolia starting in March, with Greek forces having trouble crushing them as they were busy dealing with the militants in the Levant. The Basileus was forced to call in the Imperial troops again, which had just declared a victory in Kuwait and were in the process of returning home. Independence movements were springing up in France and Italy as well, overextending the Greek military. The Western European portions of Byzantium were cut off from Greece by German and Hungarian possessions on the Adriatic, with neither of them willing to grant military access. As such, Western Byzantium could not be easily reinforced and was now falling to rebellions.

On March 3, Estonians and Latvians voted in a referendum in support of independence from the German Empire. A referendum six days later would show that the Baltic peoples were in favor of joining an independent Commonwealth if they could not gain full independence. Across the Slavic-speaking territories of the Reich, independence movements were breaking out, and the Empire was on the verge of a civil war. Wilhelm offered military support to the Kaiser, who furiously rejected the offer.

On March 17, Germans in the German heartland and Austria voted in a national referendum to keep the Empire together, with the Baltic and Slavic provinces boycotting the vote as they were not a part of it.

By April 2, the once strong German economy was falling apart. Inflation racked up the prices of consumer goods to at least triple of those in China. The Reichstag barely managed to prevent the inflation rates from increasing even more. On April 9, the Caucasian provinces declared independence as the Kingdom of Georgia, and the Kaiser responded by ordering airstrikes against the Georgians.

On May 14, the Queen of England traveled to Washington, D.C., Canada to meet with the Canadian Prime Minister on the crisis in Germany.

On May 19, the Croatians voted to secede from Hungary, Germany, and the Slavic Dominion.

On June 25, the Slavic Dominion collapsed, and Croatia and Slovenia seceded from it, dragging the Balkans into civil war.

On July 16, the Kaiser arrived in London, formally seeking aid from the other seven Great Powers, especially the Empire. Wilhelm immediately sent troops to help maintain order within the German Empire and the Byzantine Empire, which were falling apart.

On August 17, King Friedrich II “the Great” of Prussia was reinterred in Potsdam in an attempt to distract the population from the crisis. Two days later, Louis Ferdinand went into hiding after an attempted coup by the General Staff. The coup collapsed almost immediately as loyalist officers arrested the coup leaders. The next day, the Baltic kingdoms declared themselves independent from Germany. Before anybody else could declare independence, the German Chancellor called for a national referendum on the future of the Reich.

As the world watched the historic referendum take place in the second most powerful nation on the planet, Byzantium edged closer and closer to civil war. The Basileus maintained his grip on the Balkans and Anatolia but not much else. The French and Italian provinces were granted more and more autonomy to the point where they were practically independent of Constantinople’s administration.

On November 6, 1991, the Preußische Geheimpolizei ceased operations.

On December 1, the referendum was finished. The results: all non-Germans, including the inhabitants of Mittelafrika and Austria, overwhelmingly supported independence from Berlin. The Kaiser, coming out of hiding, conceded to the referendum, as the only other alternative was to install a constitutional monarchy. Despite Wilhelm’s best efforts, the German Empire was falling apart.

On December 8, Kaiser Louis Ferdinand met with Archduke Karl von Habsburg, Tsar Vladimir Kirillovich Romanov, and King Ruediger von Saxony to discuss the referendum.

With his grip over Eastern Europe quickly slipping, the Kaiser realized it was all over.

On December 25, 1991, the Imperial Diet of Berlin formally granted independence to the Baltic kingdoms, Archduchy of Austria, the Russian Empire, and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, reducing the German Empire to its pre-1914 borders. The Kaiser handed over the crowns of Russia, Poland, Lithuania, and Austria to their new owners.

On December 26, 1991, the Greek Senate granted independence to the Third French Empire, under Emperor Napoleon IV, the Kingdom of Italy, under King Victor Emmanuel, to the Jewish Republic of Israel, and to the Kingdom of Arabia, retaining Syria and Lebanon for itself.

On December 27, Emperor Wilhelm officially recognized the independence of all of the new states in Europe and the Middle East. The Kaiser ceded all French territory owned by the German Empire (with the exception of Elsass-Lothringen) to the French Empire. The German ports on the Adriatic were ceded to Italy.

The German Empire had fallen. Wilhelm vowed to make sure the Chinese Empire would not fall in a similar way.
125px-Flag_of_the_German_Empire.svg.png
85px-Wappen_Deutsches_Reich_-_Reichsadler_1889.svg.png
125px-Flag_of_the_Qing_dynasty_%281889-1912%29.svg.png

Last edited:
Nice update. I don't think it's all that realistic for Austria to want independence, but whatever.
It was more like Germany was unable to maintain control over Austria with the movements in Eastern Europe than the fact that the Austrians wanted independence.