• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(193246)

Colonel
4 Badges
Jan 29, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
*insert epic title graphics here*​

So, this is it, I've finally started my first AAR!
This epic AAR is based on nothing else than the great nation of Romania!
romania.gif

Plot Summmary so far...

In 1399, Mircea, prince of Wallachia, decided to unite all Romanian lands under his crown. During his reign, the provinces of Silistria and Podolia and the realm of Moldavia were incorporated into Wallachia. His successors wrestled Bulgaria from the Turks, Transnistria from the Tatars, and Transylvania from the Magyars. After an era of consolidation, the Kingdom of Romania was declared, and King Petru the first started an expedition towards Manchuria, with the aim of transforming this supposedly rich land into a Romanian colony, that would rival Spain's Mexico or Portugal's Brazil. The expedition ended in the conquest of Korea, as Manchuria was under the control of the powerful Ming empire. Meanwhile, a Finnish war against the Golden Horde brought the Ottomans into war against Romania, and they took over the entire country while the Romanian army was away in Asia. Romania was isolated in Korea, and was forced to adapt to the style of the Far Easterners. It didn't. Instead it converted most of the local populace into Orthodox Christians and colonized the new capital, Braila Noua (New Braila) to have a Romanian majority. After beating the newly resurged Manchurian kingdom and conquering most of Manchuria, the Great Colonization of Siberia began, aimed at bringing Romania's borders to the Siberian Khanate in the West, and to set up a base of operations to colonize the West Coast of America on the peninsula of Kamchatka. Kamchatka was soon colonized, and a series of wars against the Ming and Manchu dynasties, with the help of the Kazakh Empire, effectively ended Chinese supremacy in East Asia. Meanwhile, the Golden Horde expanded East, effectively destroying the Kazakh Empire. Romania seized Kazakh territories in Mongolia to protect them from rebellion, and afterwards annexed the rebelling Oirat Horde, reaching the border with the Golden Horde. The Chinese dynasties' dreams of regaining their lands were crushed when they were forced to renounce all of their claims. Romania then became an absolute monarchy, and the imperialistic ideals of this government type would make future expansion much easier. However, this also caused a large rebellion, which took 9 years to quell. When it was over, more lands were taken from the Chinese dynasties, and the Siberian Khanate was annexed afterwards, bringing the Romanian border to the Ural mountains and the easternmost parts of Europe. A war with the old enemy, the Golden Horde, brought most of Kazakhstan into Romanian hands, and during the Collapse of Persia, Romania gained control of most of Central Asia. In 1776, Petru the Second started the Homecoming wars, pitching the Kingdom of Romania against the Khanate of Khiva and the greatly weakened Kazakh Empire, which were annexed, the Ming and Manchu dynasties, who were forced to cede even more land, and the Golden Horde, whose easternmost territories were taken, bringing Romania back into Europe proper. During the continuation of the Homecoming Wars, the Caucasus and large parts of Southern and Eastern Russia were taken from the Horde, the eastern part of Anatolia was taken from the Ottomans, the Persian coast of the Caspian Sea was taken, and the Kingdom of Armenia, Ak Koyunlu and the Principality of Murom were annexed. Petru II also seized the Portuguese colonies in Alaska and took the French port of Azow. However, shortly after this, Petru passed away, as well as his son, Simeon, and another Croatian dynasty, Kresimorovic began its rule, starting with Stefan I. Stefan recovered Moldavia, now mostly Islamic, from the Turks, as well as taking Central Anatolia from them. Afterwards, he took the remaining Russian territories, also Islamic, from the Golden Horde, and annexed the Republic of Novgorod, the Principality of Polotsk, the Ukrainian Host and the Kingdom of Finland into Romania. The last remnants of the Ming dynasty were also absorbed, marking the end of the Chinese dynasties, save for Wu, which wasn't even Chinese anymore. Plans were made to take the rest of Eastern Europe from the various powers, as well as an invasion of Japan. Meanwhile, Bohemia was invaded, with the cause for war being the acquisition of important Central European provinces. All of Eastern Europe came under Romanian dominance. Northern Japan was taken following a declaration of war by the Shogunate. More annexed countries were the Sultanate of Hungary, Kingdom of Bosnia, Kingdom of Serbia, Commonwealth of Poland and the Kingdom of the Teutons. After a brief war with the Ottomans, the Homeland was fully recovered, but the process of re-moving the capital would take some time. Afterwards, the Sultanate of Syria inherited the Ottoman Empire under the Kresimorovic dynasty, same as Romania's. Finland was taken in a war against Sweden, and Greece was taken from the Muslim Moreans. The Swedish Horde, Republic of Danzig, Byzantine Sultanate and the Kingdom of Kurland were annexed. France's territories in the Balkans were taken, as well as Bohemia's, the Sultanates of Morea and Crete as well as the Kingdom of Cyprus were annexed, and after 2 more wars, the Japanese Empire was also annexed, ending the long conquest spree of Romania. However, Simeon II Kresimorovic was killed by Muslim rebels in Constantinopol, and although that didn't start a World War, it allowed the Basarab dynasty to return from Pommerania, when Besarab Basarab rose to the throne. He established the Greater Romanian empire, and claimed the uninhabited regions in Siberia, Alaska and the Himalayas, ending the Homecoming Wars, and bringing Greater Romania into a state of hiatus, along with all the other nations.

Table of Contents

titleprologue.png

The rise of Wallachia and its quest for Romanian unification.

Chapter 1 - From wedged to wedger --> The Annexation of Moldavia and the Conquest of Silistria.
Chapter 2 - Northern Strike --> The first Wallachian-Lithuanian War of Aggression.
Chapter 3 - Biting a crescent biscuit 1/2, 2/2--> The conquests of Cherson and Bulgaria and the Fall of Constantinople.
Chapter 4 - If you're hungry, open your mouth... 1/2, 2/2--> The conquest of Transylvania.
Chapter 5 - The union of a single nation 1/2, 2/2--> Final conquests and the unification of Romania.
Chapter 6 - The Korean connection --> The Manchu expedition, Conquest of Korea and the dramatic twist.

titlepart1.png

The resurgence of Romania and the expansion of its new homeland.

Chapter 1 - Old dreams must be achieved. --> The conquest of Manchuria.
Chapter 2 - Taming the gulf --> The beginning of the Siberian colonization.
Chapter 3 - The Ming and the Yang 1/2, 2/2 --> The continuation of the Siberian colonization and the Sino-Romanian-Kazakh wars.
Chapter 4 - Never place your empire in the center. --> The Fall of Kazakhstan and expansion westwards.
Chapter 5 - The fall of M&M. --> Further cessions from Ming and Manchu and the Reaching of the Urals.

titlepart2.png

The Return of Romania and the Homecoming Wars.

Chapter 1 - Persia is just Persia.1/2, 2/2 --> The Fall of Persia and the calm before the storm.
Chapter 2 - From the Urals. --> The start of the Homecoming Wars.
Chapter 3 - Horde Shall Fear Wrath Of The All --> Continuation of the Homecoming Wars and large cessions from the Islamic powers.
Chapter 4 - Knocking on your old door. --> The Recovery of Moldavia, the Taking of Russia, the Horde's exile and the end of China.
Chapter 5 - A Scandal in Bohemia. --> The Defeat of Bohemia and the Invasion of Japan.
Chapter 6 - End of Detention --> The Recovery of the Homeland, the Taking of Finland and the annexation of Kurland.
Chapter 7 - Return of the Basarabs --> The Final Conquests and the return of the Basarab dynasty.
Chapter 8 - Return from Exile --> The establishment of the Greater Romanian Empire and the end of the Homecoming Wars.

titleepilogue.png

Summary and statistics of the Return from Exile.

Chapter 1 - Summary of the Great Powers, present and past. --> Short descriptions of all the great powers.
Chapter 2 - The National Statistics --> The final status of Greater Romania.

AAR statistics

Running time: 36 days
Updates: 21
Screenshots: 492

Last edited:
Prologue
The roads that unite

Chapter 1
From wedged to wedger

Alright, before all the snazzy storyline stuff begins, here's a screenshot to save 50 words, this will happen often in the future, so get used to it!
16722770.png

This... this is a tale of a nation no one thought existed...

Well, it actually doesn't exist yet, lord.

Ah, for Christ's sake, stop interrupting me when I'm getting dramatic!

But sir, claiming that a nation exists when it doesn't is clearly against any..

That's it! I've had enough of this advisor, impale him at once!

But you can't do that! You're Mircea the Elder! You aren't supposed to impale people, that's what V...aaaargh!

Where was I... this-is-a-tale-of-a-nation-no-one-thought-existed... a tale of a national resurgence of a people so brave...

Voivode! Here's the map you ordered!

What? You again? I thought I had you impaled!

No, sir, I'm your new advisor, you ordered your advisor recruiters to hire men with bold voices specifically, remember?

Ah yes, nevermind. Will you show me that map?

18204113.jpg

Here you are, this is the present political situation in the Carpatho-Danubiano-Pontic area and its surroundings.
In the East, our Romanian brothers in the Principality of Moldavia sit quietly, waiting to be devoured by the Tatars, or Poland.
In the West, the Romanian population in Transylvania and the Banat is persecuted by the Hungarian overlords, and the Hungarian nobility of the Principality of Transylvania are treating them as second-rate peasants, not taking them into account at population censuses.
In the South-East, our ancestral port-cities of Tomis and Callatis are now mostly populated by Bulgarians, but controlled by the Ottomans. You captured Dobrogea once, you can do it again, voivode!
Our position is not very good at the moment, sire. The Turks and their vassals border us to the south, Transylvania to the North, and Moldova to the North-East. Our only opportunity right now would be to invade Moldova. Sire? What do you think?

*mumbles* *mumbles again* *mumbles some more* aha! It's done!

What's done?

This!
14860096.jpg

These will be the borders of the country we will attempt to unite. The Greater Union of Wallachia, Moldavia, Transylvania, Dobrogea and the Romanians in the general area of the Carpatho-Danubiano-Pontic Area, I'll call it.

How about "Romania", sire?

Yeah, that'll do.

And so began Mircea's quest of Romanian unification. It would be a tough road ahead of him...

28377293.jpg

Mircea's first action was to declare war on Moldavia, before anyone guaranteed them.

54969156.jpg

The Moldavian army, mainly consisting of mercenaries, was beaten by the Wallachian army thanks to Mircea's superior tactical skills.

52872591.jpg

Meanwhile, Byzantium had gained a new province, and was ready to expand further!

32442477.jpg

Eventually, the whole of Moldavia was occupied and annexed into Wallachia. Wallachian propaganda about Romanian unification caused the disappearance of Moldavian nationalist sentiment. (promote cultural unity)

55980907.jpg

The Byzantine conquest stopped when Georgia stepped in.

85212746.jpg

Mircea eventually had to accept he wasn't V... wait a minute, he wasn't even born yet!

60590060.jpg

Whose ships were those you saw pass through Constantinople, advisor?

Genoa's, voivode. They're a pretty important Italian merchant republic, since they hold Kaffa, not far from our lands. They've got quite a good navy.

A good navy, you say? We could use their help against the Turks! Once the Turks are all in Asia Minor, their fleet, together with the Byzantine one block the straits, keeping them there while we take their lands!

That's an excellent idea, sire, but it's almost impossible for us to convince them to agree to a treaty of alliance to us

Almost impossible.
54223169.jpg

Ah, damn it!

76857319.jpg

As soon as Mircea was told that no Turkish armies were sighted nearby, he declared war. He would not die having lost Dobrogea to the Turks, he wanted it back! The Byzantines had to hold the straits with whatever ships they had!

34316227.jpg

The war seemed to go well. Even though the Serbians and Bosnians were besieging Craiova, a major battle was won at Bulgaria, and Constanta was safely under siege, while the Byzantines held the line.

19569049.jpg

The war was going perfectly. Constanta was nearly taken, while Craiova held on, the Byzantines managed to capture Burgas and the Ottomans in Europe were routing across the Marmara while their population grew weary of the war.

87166462.jpg

And then, suddenly, the tide turned. The Turks' war in the East against the Mamluks was over, and they brought their armies back into Europe.
Their war exhaustion was still pretty high, and with a little persuasion, they might just grant us Silistria.

16338678.jpg

Success! Mircea reclaimed his favorite province, although the Ottomans vassalized the Knights in the war.

85416699.jpg

Following the conquests of the last decade, the provinces were officially renamed to their native names.

76817136.jpg

Bad news from Transylvania. The principality was incorporated into its suzerain Hungarian Kingdom. Was there to be any hope for the Romanians living there?

Sire! Sire! Grave news from Italy!

Italy? What do I care about Italy? I just recovered my vacation home near the sea!

Yes, and that weakened the Turks a little, but now they've somehow overrun and annexed Naples!

63280446.jpg

Perfect! This will keep them busy in there, while we focus on our northern neighbours

But they are at the doorstep of the Papacy itself! Should Rome fall, all of Christendom will be demoralized!

Pah! Good Orthodox Christians like me don't give a damn about the pope. He'll just move to Bremen or some other German town if Rome is taken by the Turks

Will the Ottoman conquests in Italy renew their interest in Romanian lands? Will Hungary choose to enlarge their kingdom? Find out iiin, Chapter 2!

Yeah, that's right. I'm tired, so I'm making the second part of the update an update on its own, and it's coming later! Hold on to your pants!
I'd post a world map but I reached the screenshot limit.

Last edited:
Prologue
The roads that unite

Chapter 2
Northern Strike

Mircea decides to centralize more of the power to him, causing a pretender to rise.
48353693.jpg

His army is quickly routed and crushed by Mircea's superior tactics.
35851544.jpg

In the distant East, a great nation is rising, possibly even greater than ours!
56057467.jpg

Seeing Aragon incompetent, England decides to complete their mission themselves.
27048252.jpg

Sire, I have news from Lithuania! All their armies, as well as Poland's, are off fighting the Teutonic Order! As soon as we can find a fitting reason for war with them we...

Declare war! Now!!!

29359992.jpg

Lithuania is quickly invaded, and the army, not finding any resistance, spreads out to capture all the Lithuanian forts. Czernowitz, or Cernauti, as Mircea wants to rename it, is taken. Poland has surprisingly chickened out of the war.

18912869.jpg

Half of Lithuania is now under Wallachian control, but they would not agree to any sort of peace yet! Furthermore, the first enemy armies are sighted.

31572521.jpg

All hell breaks loose, when at the peak of the occupation, Poland declares war. The Wallachian armies are slaughtered, but Lithuania thankfully agrees to cede Podolia.

94173854.jpg

Polish armies occupy Basarabia and the newly taken Podolia, but the remaining Wallachian army manages to take Plock and Lublin, securing a non-crippling defeat.

37309426.jpg

The country is now at peace, and good tidings, our name now appears on the map! Except... not really the way we wanted.

80830118.jpg

The alliance with Byzantium is relinquished, and an alliance with the second-largest Russian principality is made.

71114531.jpg

Later, Ryazan loses the alliance with us somehow, but Novgorod, the largest Russian state, agrees to an alliance instead!

50420742.jpg

Aaaah.. my dream is close to finally coming true... I hope I live to see the Greater Union of Wallachia, Mold... uh, I mean Romania achieved...

29354958.jpg

I wouldn't worry about that sire, you are called "the Elder" after all!

What? How dare you insult my age! Hang him!

Good day, my voivode, I am your new advisor!

I thought I ordered advisors with bold voices, not advisors that underline their words! Hang him, and the recruiters!

And so, Mircea came closer to achieving his goal of a unified Romanian nation. He had 6 provinces out of 17, there would be some time before that happened...

The situation of the known world in 1421
wm1.jpg

Last edited:
Things NOT to expect from this AAR:

-a good sense of humor

Lies already! This looks very promising, colour me subscribed.

I say start with Moldavia! Unless you modded in Romania to be there at the start of the game.

Lies already! This looks very promising, colour me subscribed.

Why, thank you! It's nice of you to make a nice first post!

What nation will you start as to form Romania, or have you modded Romania to exist in 1399?
you'll start as wallachia or moldavia? both are hard anyways :D
I say start with Moldavia! Unless you modded in Romania to be there at the start of the game.

I'll start with Wallachia of course, I'm from Bucharest, which is in Wallachia, Wallachia formed Romania twice historically, and Moldavia is a rather silly place.
As for modding Romania to be available at the start, that would be cheating. ;)

Good luck with the AAR :D
Starting in a position squeezed between Hungary, Ottomans and Golden Horde is definately not easy!^^

Those 3 usually collapse, though it didn't happen in my game so far :eek:
Thanks!

Good luck!

Thank you!

First update is here! Check 2nd post!

ha an insane king , good start so far ^^
hungary and ottomans often impolde afterlosing wars against each other or big western powers ^^
the horde in HTTT i've often seen it conquered way before they imploded

Very nice start! Although you don't usually see the Ottomans annexing Naples. :wacko: I blame you for this wackiness! If you had just let them keep Silistria/ Dobrogea, they wouldn't have felt the need to compensate! :p

The country is now at peace, and good tidings, our name now appears on the map!

The point at which every nation clearly knows they are now a world power.

Very good updates, looking forward to the next!

bugeac was actualy called basarabia until 1812. that is if you really want to give them the acurate historical romanian names :)

Prologue
The roads that unite

Chapter 3
Biting a crescent biscuit

The recent execution of the advisor recruiters, as well as new policies towards centralization adopted by Mircea caused large revolts in Moldova.

25608255.jpg

Mircea refused to take on any more advisors. He was really "the Elder" now, and had grown weary of their bold or underlined voices. Now, he was in his deathbed, giving instructions to his heir, Serban.

Listen to me, my nephew. I chose you to be my heir instead of my incompetent son Mircea II because.. *cough* *cough*

"Why, uncle?"

Because he had crazy plans of gaining a foothold in Manchuria. He is clearly insane! You must focus on uniting the Greater Union of Wallachia, Moldavia, Tran...

"Romania, uncle! Just Romania!"

And one more thing... Don't ever hire advisors that underline their phrases! Ueeerghhhhhh....

And so, Mircea the Elder passed away, letting his slightly more competent nephew, Serban take the throne.

24870036.jpg

His forces moved to Moldova to fight the particularists, the low maintenance before the uprisings let them capture the region.
Thankfully, help came from Novgorod.

37551787.jpg

The rebels were nearly dealt with, just as the Golden Horde proceeded to invade Novgorod. Serban saw this as an opportunity to snatch Cherson from the tatars, proving he is worthy of the throne.

72078747.jpg

No enemy resistance was encountered in the Ukraine, possibly because all of the Horde's troops were fighting the Novgorodians. Meanwhile, Hungary was being torn apart by Austria and Poland. Hopefully, they wouldn't take any of the Transylvanian regions.

82772188.jpg

The Tatars showed up with a 20k stack that attrition wouldn't melt away, so we left the war with Cherson, which would be renamed to Transnistria, as our prize. The Horde was probably having trouble with Novgorod if they agreed to a peace like this.

30547062.jpg

...or maybe not. Hopefully, their tribal government would bring them down soon.

18044398.jpg

Meanwhile, Ukraine, an OPM, was absorbing Lithuania with ease.

51386917.jpg

Although, they only got one province in the end.

39346584.jpg

Serban passed away quickly and under strange circumstances. He never got to speak to any advisor, let alone have one executed!

14513342.jpg

The new regency council was surprisingly liberal.

55059567.jpg

We got an unlikely neighbour. They will be handy in dealing with the Horde later.

28510065.jpg

The regency council decides to centralize some more, but they really shouldn't have done that using threats of comets.

89376000.jpg

In the distant East, a great nation continues to rise. Clearly we should follow their example!

95363297.jpg

Late Mircea the Elder's grandson Mihnea succeeds to the throne.

10097952.jpg

Ah, finally, I like this chair. I will call it a... royal chair! Ingenious!

My king, it's already called a throne!

What? You dare stand in the way of innovation? Burn the heretic!

"Hello, sir. I'm your new advisor!"

About time! Bring me fried chicken with mamaliga!

"But, your majesty, advisors.. uh.. advise, they don't serve food."

Oh? You like keeping your superiors hungry? You'd be better off "advising" in Hungary, then! Have the mailman send him to Buda!

Later, the Hungarians sent a letter thanking Mihnea for sending them a 6 star statesman.

After the people presented Mihnea with a petition asking him to abdicate, he decided to conquer some more lands from the Turks, to show the people that he was just as good as Mircea, his grandfather.

63657849.jpg

The war went significantly better than before, as Wallachia had an army 2 times larger and a better general.

54724215.jpg

The Ottomans were besieging Constantinople, but a joint Wallachian-Byzantine force defeated a large Ottoman army at Edirne.

49867288.jpg

The Byzantine army was destroyed, but their fleet was perfect for blocking the straits, although the army besieging Constantinople was a 20k stack. Oltenia was occupied by the Yugoslavs, but patriots quickly proceeded to help free the region.

44212781.jpg

Grim news from Constantinople. It had fallen! This marked the end of the Roman empire, and it was Wallachia's fault it ended this way! However, this enabled Romania to be formed later, and that would make us the carriers of the Roman legacy.

82070595.jpg

Last edited:
Without a Byzantine fleet to block the straits, the war was as good as lost. We had to sue for peace. Thankfully, Trebizond also helped in the East, causing the Ottomans enough war weariness to accept to cede what remained of Bulgaria. They would not accept to grant Trebizond any regions however.. Sucks to be them.

emergencyh.jpg

Mircea centralized the country by saying that Trade isn't heretical.

87198611.jpg

Poland was getting bigger and bigger. Someone had to stop their expansion.

41340347.jpg

Looks like we aren't that far off from forming Romania now. Once we form it, Manchuria awaits!

82717399.jpg

Manchuria, sire?

Yes! Once we get a foothold there, we will be unstoppable! Muahahahaha!

But... It's far far away.. and.. it's a rather poor region!

It's perfect! We just need 6 more provinces and then we're clear to launch an expedition!

Surely Mihnea wasn't serious about that crazy expedition to Manchuria. Or was he...?

Situation of the world in 1448
wm2.jpg