• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Swert

Yours Swertically
51 Badges
Jan 28, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
Oh and whilst i'm at it...

EU2 v1.09, no mods

There's a bug that occurs when troops land on or cross a strait to an island province and fight a battle. Upon losing the battle they are forced to retreat either back onto the ships or across the strait however if the straight is blocked or the fleet is being attacked the troops will not retreat and will be stuck on the island with a white flag and a movement arrow that never progresses. The troops will be stuck in suspense forever and must be disbanded. Although reloading might restart the retreat movement.

I've noticed this on two occasions, once by myself and once by AI.

The first time the AI troops crossed the strait from Jylland to Sjælland to fight the Danish. They lost and retreated back across the straight however the Danish navy came out just as they were retreating. The army was unable to complete the movement because the navy now blocked the straight and instead of returning to Sjælland as would normally be the case when a straight gets blocked mid-movement because the army was retreating the movement order does not get cancelled and the army is left in suspense. It stayed this way for about 10 years, but i forget what happened to them. The army either arrived after i reloaded the game or when i reloaded the game from the AI's perspective.

The second time was more recently when i tried to liberate my colony in Jamaica. I landed my armies (3 armies of 1000 men each) and they started fighting the enemy who had captured it. As the battle raged my fleet was attacked by pirates. I lost the land battle and the troops tried to retreat onto the fleet but when the movement arrow approached completion it realised that the fleet was under attack and could not be boarded. The armies stayed in suspense as explained whilst the fleet defeated the pirates. However even then the armies wouldn't board and i tried moving the fleet away and back again to see if it would reset the movement order but it did not. It had to take my fleet back to port and board some other troops to land on Jamaica again. This time the enemy was defeated but the armies were still suspense and i was forced to disband them all. I did not try reloading.

Upvote 0
These both look like variants of this known bug:

51 : Type: Game Logic | Status: CONFIRMED | Severity: MINOR
When losing a battle and retreating to ships that have moved away, the army is not destroyed, but remains unselectable until that war ends.
Reported In: 1.01 | Correction planned In :- | Corrected In :-

Which, as it was never addressed up to 1.09, is there to stay I'm afraid.