• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(271387)

Field Marshal
19 Badges
Feb 20, 2011
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
tr!selcu.gif
Hello,this is one of my first AARs I'm planning on finishing.I will be playing as Rum,a state in Central Asia Minor and try to complete some goals before the end of the mod.The style will mostly be history book.I plan to finish this just before EU4 is released.
My Goals for this AAR are as such(in order I plan to fullfill them,might change later on):
1.Conquer all Turk-culture provinces in Asia Minor
2.Conquer Thrace and the Balkans
3.Do NOT form the Ottoman Turks.
4.Syria and Egypt will follow on
5.We shall see as the AAR goes on :)

I'm going to post the first update about tomorrow.

g3mQ1qB.jpg

Map of Balkans at the Start of the Mod
That said,I hope you enjoy that AAR.Please don't mind my English,as it's not my mother-tongue :p

Last edited:
TEXT 1:Introduction (1300-1303)
The World of January the 1st in 1300.A land which you would not be eager to call "peaceful".In the West,every Kingdom had been broken down to smaller counterparts that were created by the so-called old "feudal pacts".In Central Europe,the HRE was too weak to protect itself from foreign incursions into it's borders.The East Europeans kingdom had been effectively put to an end with the Mongol Invasions and the death of Genghis Khan.In the balkans,the century-long destructive raids of the Turks finally destroyed the Byzantine Empire.However,the Turkish Sultanates were also destroyed by catastrophic Mongol Raids in Asia Minor.In this Book "Restoration of Rum" we will be examining the Sultanate of Rum after the complete destruction of the Ottoman Sultanate and the factors and actions that happened to put the Sultanate of Rum into the position to challenge for primacy in Asia Minor and the Balkans during the Latter Medieval Period.

The Sultanate of Rum in January 1st of 1300 was ruled by Temur Osmanli,last heir of the once Ottoman dynasty.He was a genius administator and a capable strategist.

The remaining turkish nobles in the Sultanate asked from the Sultan to liberate the nearby territory of Sivas,who had a turkish majority that was ruled by Azeri tribes.

The Sultan,wanting to pursue closer relations with the aristocrats so that they would be more willful to fight in his campaigns,gave them more privileges,which upset the burghers and the merchants.This ofcourse would prove disastrous in the long run.

Seeing weakness in the Sultanate of Candar,which laid to his north,he decided to attack at the cost of de-stabilising his own Sultanate.

After the successful siege of Kastamonu in March 1301 he decided to march on and conquer the rest of the territories under the de-jure rule of the Sultan of Candar

After the successful siege of Sinop in 6th of August 1301,the Sultanate of Candar was incorporated into Rum.

Finally,after month's of debating with the nobles,in 3th of September 1301,he decided to attack the Akk Koyunlu tribes to his east to liberate the province of Sivas.He immediatly marched to the province,since the nearest armies of the tribe were in Azerbaijan.His wife also gave birth to a healthy boy that day,who would later on be named Adil.

Having conquered Siva in 24 March of 1402 he moved on to the next region controlled by the Azeri Tribes to conquer it.There he met the Azeri army and defeated them with huge losses in comparison to the enemy army.
tshi.jpg

mv2j.jpg

Two more battles were fought while he was sieging that land.As he however took defensive positions in the mountains and hills of Erzurum,he managed to cause massive casualities to the enemy in comparison to his own.
bgx6.jpg

f1y5.jpg

After many battles later on and a rebellion in Sinop,the Nobles decided that the war had lasted for too long and with Temur Osmanli and the Azeri Khan,they signed a peace deal where the Azeri tribes would give Sivas to Rum.They decided that now would be a good time to strike at Nikea.
2fx0.jpg

At that time,however,he was approached by the ruler of the Jalayarids,who owned regions of Arabia and east of Syria.He decided to ally with him and help him in his war against Oman.
3qrd.jpg

qn9d.jpg

A map of the World in October of 1303

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First update!

Last edited:
TEXT 2:The Regency Council (1303-1310)
During these years of turmoil,many notable things happened.First of all,the various Sultans of the middle east proposed a royal marriage between the Osmanli family and their own kind.Secondly,the Sultanate of Rum managed to conquer Trebizon,a greek orthdox kingdom northeast to Rum.The Greek Kingdoms to the east failed to stabilise and many new regional powers.But let's analyse the events more detailed in the next paragraph.

Because of his Alliance with the Sultan of Rum,the Khan of Jalayarids asked Temur to join him in his war to humilate the Sultan of the Levant and Syria(the latter being his prime title).Not wanting to lose a valuable ally,Temur joined the war on the Khan's side.
ketz.jpg

Since the Army of the Karamanoglu Sultanate was about to be kicked out of Trabzon,Temur decided to conquer the province for himself,however Georgia helped the Kingdom of Trebizond.The Khan of the Jalayarids,wanting to repay Temur for his valuable help from the Syrian Wars,joined the war,although he didn't send an army.
dje8.jpg

After arriving there with his army,the only thing he saw was empty fields and the city.He immediatly began sieging it,only to find out that the Georgians were approaching.Luckily,the Karamanli army helped him defeat the enemy
y9b7.jpg

During this time,he also signed a seperate peace with the Syrian Sultan.After occupying the province of Trebizond,he raided the city itself with the Karamanli army and shared the loot.The remaining population was afraid of him.After the siege and some battles Temur lost,the Georgian King decided that the war went long enough and that his kingdom had more pressing matters to solve,so he offered a white peace to Temur.
5vj3.jpg

9yu8.jpg

However,on 30 June of 1305,Temur left his last breath as he had caught a quite deadly illness.Because his son was young,the Nobles formed a regency council to guide the young Sultan and to effectively rule.
2xau.jpg

image0053872597fj2.jpg

Temur on his deathbed,depiction of Italian painter,Renaissance

In the East,things were going from bad to worse for the Roman successor states.Nicea was in a war with the rest of the remaining Greek Kingdoms and began to lose more and more land to Greeks and Turks alike,until it finally lost it's status as a regional power.
3px0.jpg

6sl6.jpg

5iaj.jpg

w24v.jpg

Map of the World,Year 1310

-------------------------------------------------------------------
This was a really inactive period for me.Comment,critisize,hate,like,subscribe you are free to do anything here!

I'm really enjoying this style! Your English is pretty good too, don't worry about that :)
Thanks for the kind words!Update coming in shortly :)

TEXT 3:The coming of a new Sultan( 1310 - 1320 )
As we leave from Nicea's state of affairs,we see that during the first Regency Council tthere were many revolts.Infact,one of them which supported the release of a new state of Kandar was crushed in Kastamonu in August 25 of 1910
f30c.jpg

Wanting to make the aristocracy to assist more to the wars,the Regency Council gave them new privileges,which annoyed the merchants and the peasants, leading to unstability in the Sultanate.
gupx.jpg

However,not all was bleak for the Turks.With the more or less ever-being state of war,great minds arose across the country.In Kastamonu,one of those minds decided to give to the city new,advanced fortifications to withstand enemy assaults and sieges
jmk4.jpg

In the 29th of December 1312,a constable was ordered to be built in the capital of Angora
f35t.jpg

Hearing rumours about a revolt from the Greek citizents of Pontus,the Regency council ordered the general to station his army in Trebizon and wait for the upcoming revolt.This first revolt of the Greeks against the Turks would be an inspiration to future nationalist revolutions.The revolters were defeated and everything went back to normal...for now.
3ass.jpg

In September 8 of 1316,Sultan Adil II of the Osmanli house rose to the status of Sultan through inheritance.He had a brilliant mind for administration and stewardship,but unlike his father,he could not understand military matters.Nonetheless,he decided to lead the army and declare war to Nicea.
rsdw.jpg

c45c.jpg

He defeated Nicea's army in the battle of Anatolia in 29th October of 1316.He quickly sieged the whole area of Nicea,while enemy forces of Bulgaria,Naxos and Corfu made landings at the beaches of Pontus and Candarli nationalists captured Angora.He annexed the country of Nicea in 27th August of 1317.
wxgo.jpg

p9vt.jpg

4lb1.jpg

He also became allied with Mentnesse and called the little state to war,as happened with the Jayalarids.In 6th July of 1318 a comet was observed flying above the skies of Rum.The people,being superstitious,believed that this was a bad omen and declared that the Sultanate would have been destroyed by the end of that decade,while others believed that the end of the world was coming.Nothing of this was true.
8uxb.jpg

While Sultan Adil II defeated the rebels with help from his allies and regained control of Angora,the state of Candar declared independence.He immediatly declared war.With the Rumish armies having captured Izmir,Candar became a vassal of Rum.During the war remarkably,the Sultanate became more stabile.Some historians believe that it may have happened because the citizens of Rum saw the resurgence of a Turkish Sunni Caliphate and believed that Rum would be that caliphate.As such,the national unity grew and so did the stability of Rum.
wx9z.jpg

zag5.jpg

qdib.jpg

kcj4.jpg

i5nt.jpg

Map of World,Fall of Year 1320

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I might cheat to change tag and get Candar to call me into it's wars if I don't get into them automatically or after some months.I find it silly not to be at war with the enemies of my vassal.
Comment,critisize,hate,like,subscribe.You are free to do anything here!

20 years in and half of Anatolia is yours. Excluding that 7 year regency, your doing great!
Thank you!I hope that I get anatolia before the end of the century.I have been really lucky with many circumstances,like trapping the mentnessian army in my realm and it getting defeated by the greeks and being forced to stop all treaties with me.
After getting anatolia,since Nicea didn't managed to turn any provinces orthodox(which was what I feared since I didn't want to spend much money on missionaries),I believe that getting to Frankokratia and then to Thessaloniki won't be hard.Jayalarids have a turkish province,so eventually I will have to backstab them.There are also some turkish states allied with the Jayalarids,although I know a gamey tactic to do to avoid war with them.My schedule is something like this:By 1400 have all the turkish provinces in Anatolia,By 1470 have all Greece,by 1550 have Syria and Egypt,by 1600 Balkans & Hungary and hopefully by 1700 siege and occupy Wien.
A thing to note is that I remember seeing the Timurids vassalising some countries in Persia.I think it was Khiva and another state.

Seeing as you get a Tribal CB and Holy War CB, that should not be a problem. BUT if you wait too long to cross the Bosphorous and make it into the Balkans, you will find that destroying Hungary while lacking in Techs will be quite hard. But there is always strength in numbers! Good luck! Paint the area in that wonderful Blue and let them know the power of Rum!!

Seeing as you get a Tribal CB and Holy War CB, that should not be a problem. BUT if you wait too long to cross the Bosphorous and make it into the Balkans, you will find that destroying Hungary while lacking in Techs will be quite hard. But there is always strength in numbers! Good luck! Paint the area in that wonderful Blue and let them know the power of Rum!!
Yes,I'm aware of the technology gap,that's why I'm afraid of delays like long Regency Councils with bad stats.By the way,next update scheduled for tomorrow morning.I might post two updates tomorrow.
I know,I'm spoiling you all :p

TEXT 4:War with the Romans(1320 - 1325)

Darkness shrouded Angora like an invsible veil,as news of a Roman attack against Candar spread in the capital.Because of this reason,Adil II allied with his vassal in Candar.However,he didn't call him to arms against the Romans so he interneverd himself,along with his Mongol allies in Arabia.
efkp.jpg

j12c.jpg

However,there appeared a slight difficulty.There were 13,000 troops sieging Izmir while Frankokratia(the Roman remnant in Constantinople)send 5,000 troops to siege the province of Bithynia.Later,Naxos send 1,000 troops to siege Kastamonu and Bosnia 3,000 to occupy Sinop.
w6cd.jpg

The armies of Frankokratia were defeated,however they retreated to Constantinople.Because Rum had no fleet,the Sultan could not pass the Straits of Bosporus and try and do something no one else had achieved in the past,to occupy successfully Constantinople.It seemed that Rum's destiny had to wait.
m2l7.jpg

The armies of the Sultanate tried attacking the forces in Izmir,but the only thing that they could do was to stall their siege of Izmir or Σμύρνη in their language.
azvd.jpg

Not wanting to fall behind in technology,the Sultan and his council of nobles agreed to make the freedom of speech more flexible within the Sultanate.As such,many great scientific minds rose to prominence within the muslim world.
ga4p.jpg

Meanwhile,the Emir of Candar signed a white peace treaty with Bosnia,Wallachia and Naxos.In 18th November of 1322 Izmir was occupied by the remaining 12,000 Greek troops.
g1e5.jpg

However in 29th November Candar gave 15 ducats to the King in Frankokraita for exchange of peace.
9t68.jpg

Meanwhile,the King and his armies marched to territory of Rum,specifically to Anatolia to siege it.That was because technically he was still at war with the Sultanate of Rum.There his army was defeated and routed to Bithynia where 5000 men waited them.Because the King feared that the Turks would obliterate his amry like what happened 300 years ago in Manzikert,he offered him a white peace.
2c63.jpg

The Sultan and his army marched to Hamid,where he won against the Metropolitan of Thessaloniki and later together with troops from the Emir of Candar obliterated the remaining of his army.
cqsk.jpg

3tpa.jpg

Meanwhile,the Sultan of Rum issued a royal marriage between the two royal families of Rum and Jayalarids.With that wish of the Noble's fullfiled,it was time now according to them to vassalise Karaman to the south of Rum.
oq0y.jpg

1fxa.jpg

In the meantime between 1323 and 1325 nothing of note happened.Rum signed a white peace with Bosnia and Wallachia.The Sultan got military access by the King in Constantinople to try and siege Thessaloniki,but Greek ships prevented him from doing so.In 2th February he signed a white peace treaty with the leader of the enemy alliance,Minsk,a state in Russia that controlled swathes of land.With that,the "Turkish Wars(1320 - 1325)" ended.
q7qc.jpg

n26g.jpg

A map of the known world in 1325.In red are the effective borders of Rum after the peace treaty in the Turkish Wars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
That concludes today's update.

Timurids are doing well. No major power is set up yet so everything is still up for grabs. All except for Anatolia who WILL be ruled by The Sultinate Of Rum.
My only problem are the Jayalarids who guarantee almost everyone else,but as you will see in the next update the Jayarids will get many revolts(and I will get a 3-4 years council :p)
The Timurids are doing excellent,and my next ruler will be someone named Bayazid Osmanli.Should I be afraid ? :p

TEXT 5:peace and Despair (1325 - 1330)
With a revolution in Ak Koyunlu and basically no army,the wolves in Rum sensed weakness and attacked.As it was expected,no one came to help the Azeri tribes in their war against the Turks.When he marched Erzurum,he found the revolutionary army there sieging the province.Adil II fought against the rebels and won,although with many casualities in comparison to his enemies.After the rebel's defeat,he continued the siege of the province.In 11 August of 1325 he assaulted the castle through a breach in the walls and moved on to the province of Van,where the rebel armies were also retreating.A battle was expected.
2c1v.jpg

phm5.jpg

In the battle of Van,the rebel armies were annihilated and the Sultan began sieging the province.In 5 June of 1326 the province was occupied and it was found out that there were 2,000 Azeri regiments sieging a nearby province from the Black Sheep tribe.
99f4.jpg

hjrj.jpg

As such,the Azeri Sultan had to accept defeat.He would have to relinguish any of his claims in the territory of Rum,he would cede Erzurum and he would also become a vassal of the Sultan,just like the Emir of Candar.With his vassalisation,the Sultanate of Rum immediatly entered to war with the Azeri nomad tribes to the east of Ak Koyunlu.The Qara Koyunlu tribes,being already in a state of disarray and fearing the Rumish army,they conceded defeat to the Sultan.
4tev.jpg

4vmt.jpg

During this time,because of the many wars and the losses that occured to them,there was a recruiting crisis in the army.It seemed that because of the many losses in the wars the young men were afraid of joining the army and as a result,the manpower of the Sultanate was quickly diminished and the army suffered.However,the problem sort out by itself.
1ffy.jpg

All was not good however,as in the western front heretic rebels that were supported by the sultan to take Bursa from another turkish state to his south,didn't stick to their orders and marched to Bithynia.There they were defeated and retreated back to Bursa.When they came back again,they fought with the Sultan against patriot rebels that had risen there and later on they were backstabbed by the Sultan and again forced to retreat
yb67.jpg

xifr.jpg

y1ku.jpg

A map of the Known World in 1330.Candar and Ak Koyunlu are vassals of Rum.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notice the revolts in Jayalarids and the excellent progress of the Timurids,My next heir is Bayazid.Should I be afraid :p?Somewhere inbetween 1326 and 1329 my Ruler died and I got a Regency council that will go on for about 3-4 years and I forgot to take a picture of that.

Last edited:
Text 6:The Coming of Age (1330 - 1334)
Not all was good in Rum however,as the merchants were complaining that the government was more helpful to the aristocratic class than it was to the merchants.Naturally,such claims were dismissed and no attention was paid to the merchants.
qafr.jpg

Syria declared war against the Jayalarids,who called Rum into the war.Because of it's strenght,the Sultanate became the leader of the defenders,but helped in no way possible so that hopefully the Jayalarids would dissolve and become weak,so that Rum could conquer the rest of Asia Minor.In the final peace talks,the odds were against the Jayalarids.
6tve.jpg

j4yu.jpg

In 14th Semptember of 1331 Bayezid II of the Osmanli House came to age and took over power in the Sultanate of Rum.He was a promising administrator abd a brilliant diplomat,but not a brilliant strategist.It would later prove that his heir was even worse.
tc9e.jpg

With Karaman having no alliance with the Mongols,Bayezid took the chance and attacked Karaman.Many battles ensued and the Azerbaijanni tribes conceded defeat to the Sultanate of Rum.
e1bg.jpg

ru8w.jpg

In 12th April the Sultanate of Karaman became a vassal to the Sultanate of Rum.With that taken care of,the nobles decided that it was time now to attack and conquer Bursa.
r3dn.jpg

qqg8.jpg

During that time there was a political crisis in the country,where everywhere there were rumours of the Sultan's infamous behaviour.Bayezid the 2nd,not caring much about his infamy,didn't do anything.In 1333 he declared war against Ramazan to conquer Bursa.Shortly after,the Sultan of Iraq signed a white peace treaty with the Sultan of Rum,as he saw no reason to continue the war.
i5wz.jpg

6ofw.jpg

Because of an extensive centralisation programme in Rum that started as an iniative of the Sultan,there were many revolts in the areas that Rum controlled.
v15r.jpg

After almost a year,Bursa was successfully occupied and in October of 1333 the Sultan signed a peace treaty,in which Bursa would be given to Bayezid II.In a cruel mood of irony,the nobles asked from the Sultan to vassalise Ramadan,which it had just fought.
mn9s.jpg

In the battle of Bursa,the nationalist armies were annilihated and in the battle of Sinop the rest of the rebel armies were crushed.
ec3d.jpg

ejse.jpg

After being occupied by Candar,Mentesse was annexed into the Sultan's personal demense.
1p87.jpg

6mu8.jpg

The Sultan signing a peace treaty with the Mongol Khan of the Jayalarids and the Map of the World in 1334