Ressource Silos buildings now give +10 000 storage instead of +2000

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sure, at some point you're going to have access to so many planets and so many resources you don't know what to do with them. But by then you've won, and silos didn't make that possible.
Indeed, mass-spamming silos is mostly a late game thing to bank a bunch of stuff to defeat a big crisis.

That said, it can be worth building at least a few silos before that for two reasons:
  • Dealing with massive resource spikes. If you federate with a megacorp and run Golden Rule, they'll happily "donate" their entire treasury to you every 10 years. In my most recent game the election pot totaled over 100k energy credits in 2260.
  • Overall resource fluctuation from conquest. Buying/selling stuff on the market is *brutally* inefficient after the early game, to the point where you never really want to use it. Conquest can often lead to you owning weirdly suboptimal worlds that can cause your income to spike in some resources and plummet in others. Evening things out takes years.

Those 0.1's add up.

If you're generating say 10k science/month (most likely you're doing quite a bit more), that's about .5 pops you need to compensate with per extra depot.

A few of them could be good, sure but across an empire, if you have breeder worlds, those worlds likely have spare building slots anyways. You can fit them there, but once you're leaving additional city districts in place to get building slots, now you're paying for both the district and the building in your sprawl. At 20k science/month it's now 1 pop per, or 2 pops per if you're building a district and building to get the depot.

Essentially it's like free population to not build more of them than you actually need.

Two things here:
  1. I was actually incorrect when I said it was 0.1. You actually only gain 0.5 sprawl per district, not 1 like I had thought. So it's actually 5% tech cost per million storage, when you're probably already getting +500% from pops/colonies/etc.
  2. Buildings don't directly contribute to sprawl at all. I'm not sure if you're referring to a knock-on effect of needing to build other districts to pay for maintenance or something, but buildings are sprawl-free themselves.
A million extra alloys banked for a crisis is gonna be way more helpful than the trivial research savings. That +5% science cost is like 1 repeatable tech per century.

Also, another thing that will cause resource spikes soon is vassal taxes, especially if you play on GA. I've modded the game so that vassals will actually agree to give resources, and the results are pretty crazy:

energy spike.png

So this little 8 planet megacorp is worth more than half a Dyson Sphere, and nobody's even researched Dyson Spheres yet! There's just no way I'm balancing my economy around that in a timespan that's less than "decades". I just got out of a deficit of minerals and another subject just made my CGs spike (they're giving me 700+ suddenly).

In theory, it's possible to always manage your resources well enough that you never overflow and never need to sell them on the market, but in practice this is rarely the case. Pop demotion time, resettlement time, building construction time, conquest, vassals, etc. all conspire to make a properly balanced economy nearly impossible outside of the early game. Unless you have speedrunner-tier attention-to-detail in eco management, the value of extra storage is highly underrated.

Those 0.1's add up.

If you're generating say 10k science/month (most likely you're doing quite a bit more), that's about .5 pops you need to compensate with per extra depot.

A few of them could be good, sure but across an empire, if you have breeder worlds, those worlds likely have spare building slots anyways. You can fit them there, but once you're leaving additional city districts in place to get building slots, now you're paying for both the district and the building in your sprawl. At 20k science/month it's now 1 pop per, or 2 pops per if you're building a district and building to get the depot.

Essentially it's like free population to not build more of them than you actually need.
If you’re making 20k science per month and that matters then I have a few questions for you…

Also, another thing that will cause resource spikes soon is vassal taxes, especially if you play on GA. I've modded the game so that vassals will actually agree to give resources, and the results are pretty crazy:

So this little 8 planet megacorp is worth more than half a Dyson Sphere, and nobody's even researched Dyson Spheres yet! There's just no way I'm balancing my economy around that in a timespan that's less than "decades". I just got out of a deficit of minerals and another subject just made my CGs spike (they're giving me 700+ suddenly).

In theory, it's possible to always manage your resources well enough that you never overflow and never need to sell them on the market, but in practice this is rarely the case. Pop demotion time, resettlement time, building construction time, conquest, vassals, etc. all conspire to make a properly balanced economy nearly impossible outside of the early game. Unless you have speedrunner-tier attention-to-detail in eco management, the value of extra storage is highly underrated.
You never have megacorp tributary before? Because this is normal even before Overlord.

FYI I made a page on the Stellaris wiki to highlight these kinds of changes, e.g., an intentional change that wasn't in the patch notes (rather than bugs). It might be helpful to other players to consolidate information like this.

• 1Like
Reactions: