Ressource Silos buildings now give +10 000 storage instead of +2000

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ffc

Galactic Emperor
69 Badges
Jan 27, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
I did not see it in the patch note, but in games, it gives +10000.

It feels so good, I'm used to build the star base one when I've some free slot and enough food

With Mega-Engineering, you can have so much storage

What do you guys think about it?

• 12Like
Reactions:
I honestly didn’t even notice, but it feels a bit excessive tbh. If it was going to change because it was felt to be too low then I feel like maybe 5k would’ve been an adequate buff.

Reactions:
IMHO there is no resource value which makes that building worth a slot.

3 starbase buildings are sufficient to restore an early Relic World, and there's often a free building slot 3 (or more) of my border bastions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
IMHO there is no resource value which makes that building worth a slot.
Ok now I’m curious, in the effort to balance jobs and housing I often have at least one empty slot on a decent range of worlds (especially mid-game) until I have more options that don’t create a jobs excess.

What exactly are you always filling them with?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Ok now I’m curious, in the effort to balance jobs and housing I often have at least one empty slot on a decent range of worlds (especially mid-game) until I have more options that don’t create a jobs excess.

What exactly are you always filling them with?

I'm not always filling them, but I like to have an empty slot early on in case there's a surprise Syndicate ready to spam branch offices on my colonies.

Around the time that stops being a risk, then I usually have un-upgraded Unity buildings & Research Labs in available slots.

I really like having basic Research Labs on my non-research worlds, and basic Unity buildings can contribute either Amenities (with Spiritualist) or Stability (with Byzantine Bureaucracy).

Silos are definitely worth building towards the latter half of a campaign, since you'll want to transfer pops over to your ecumenopolises/ringworlds or other specialized planets rather than having them spread out all over. At that point you have these big depopulated planets with a bunch of empty building slots. You might as well stick silos in them.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I am not even mad that is amazing.
Sure thats is ok, before i never thought about siilo, but now.... it could be useful. For example there are fanatic purifiers which have weird cycle of force labour output (uneven) so for them having big storage is big help. So it might be useful sometimes.
Not to mention that during war, the alloys may run out fast to redeploy lost ships.
Nice change.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Silos are definitely worth building towards the latter half of a campaign, since you'll want to transfer pops over to your ecumenopolises/ringworlds or other specialized planets rather than having them spread out all over. At that point you have these big depopulated planets with a bunch of empty building slots. You might as well stick silos in them.

I actually destroy my buildings and districts once I start depopulating stuff. I prefer to leave just enough to get some pop growth. If Synthetic, that means just enough to support some Roboticist, while if biological it tends to mean leaving a few more in place.

With empire sprawl, eliminating unused districts gets hugely important, and simply getting your size down a bit can be more impactful than an entire Ring World segment, in terms of tech cost.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I did not see it in the patch note, but in games, it gives +10000.

It feels so good, I'm used to build the star base one when I've some free slot and enough food

BTW, the starbase building has also been increased to 5k (early), and maybe more later in the game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I actually destroy my buildings and districts once I start depopulating stuff. I prefer to leave just enough to get some pop growth. If Synthetic, that means just enough to support some Roboticist, while if biological it tends to mean leaving a few more in place.

With empire sprawl, eliminating unused districts gets hugely important, and simply getting your size down a bit can be more impactful than an entire Ring World segment, in terms of tech cost.
Eh, maybe if you're smallish then sure. But each district only adds 0.1% to tech cost, and it's not hard to hit 500%+ in standard galaxies through normal play, so bumping that by an extra 10% to get a million storage capacity can definitely be worth it.

That's what chemical plants and forts are for. If you really need to turn planetary building slots into silos mid-game, you're not spending fast enough. (Starbase slots are another matter, and those will get you some nice storage to survive boom and bust cycles on their own)

Sure, at some point you're going to have access to so many planets and so many resources you don't know what to do with them. But by then you've won, and silos didn't make that possible.

Reactions:
I have currently 4 Mercenary enclaves, which i employ everytime during war (when they are available). Each one costs me 40k energy upfront. I am happy i put some ressource silos on my starbases somewhere around the mid/endgame so that i can now afford all 4 of them without selling stuff inbetween.

Food i have found is a non issue. I do tend to have some on one planet for RP reasons), but even without them i am getting so much food through subsidies from my vassals. I dont even need hydrophonics bays on starbases.

I cant really speak for overlord for the early or midgame as at some point my empire completely derailed and i was busy fixing that. But i started to add ressource silos only later on anyway.

Also, it should be noted that you only get 5000 until you research Global Production Strategies, at which point it gets bumped to 10k.
Nice.
BTW, the starbase building has also been increased to 5k (early), and maybe more later in the game.
True, and this gets boosted to 10k too with the same tech as the planet building.

For whatever strange reason though, this tech is only available to empires that use consumer goods. So Gestalt empires don't benefit from it at all (except Servitors) and are stuck with 5k silos.
Edit: I read the trigger wrong, it was a bit too confusing for me o_O

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Nice.

True, and this gets boosted to 10k too with the same tech as the planet building.

For whatever strange reason though, this tech is only available to empires that use consumer goods. So Gestalt empires don't benefit from it at all (except Servitors) and are stuck with 5k silos.

Give us a bug report for that and I'll find a tech for hive-minds to get the benefit.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Give us a bug report for that and I'll find a tech for hive-minds to get the benefit.
Thing is, this tech unlocks a building for gestalts (the gestalt equivalent of the "Ministry of Production", called the "Resource Processing Center") so it would probably be better to just remove the block.
The technology is blocked this way:

Code:
        modifier = {
            factor = 0
            NOR = {
                has_technology = "tech_luxuries_1"
                country_uses_consumer_goods = no
            }
        }

Just making it lower weight would probably be enough. Making it 0.5 instead of 0 for example. Half of the benefits from that building is for alloys after all.

Speaking of it, is there any plan to make the "Ministry of Production"/"Resource Processing Center" buildings shift their focus the same way Industrial Districts do with Colony Designations?

Edit: My bad, I didn't understand the trigger properly.
But is it just me or that trigger is really confusing?
I think it would be better to use something like:
Code:
        modifier = {
            factor = 0
            country_uses_consumer_goods = yes
            NOT = { has_technology = "tech_luxuries_1" }
        }
Unless I misunderstand again, this means exactly the same thing. Which is the least confusing?

Also attached a file with the changes for the Ministry of Production and the Resource Processing Center.

Attachments

• 04_manufacturing_buildings.txt
    25,5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Eh, maybe if you're smallish then sure. But each district only adds 0.1% to tech cost, and it's not hard to hit 500%+ in standard galaxies through normal play, so bumping that by an extra 10% to get a million storage capacity can definitely be worth it.
Those 0.1's add up.

If you're generating say 10k science/month (most likely you're doing quite a bit more), that's about .5 pops you need to compensate with per extra depot.

A few of them could be good, sure but across an empire, if you have breeder worlds, those worlds likely have spare building slots anyways. You can fit them there, but once you're leaving additional city districts in place to get building slots, now you're paying for both the district and the building in your sprawl. At 20k science/month it's now 1 pop per, or 2 pops per if you're building a district and building to get the depot.

Essentially it's like free population to not build more of them than you actually need.