• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Re: Re: Re: Resource mod

Originally posted by Kaigon
The major problem with merging copper and iron is that it will still give an additional bonus if you build weapons mfg in Fruit province... (perhaps it's not major, but still a flaw)

Yup, I suddenly remembered why I hadn't done it before... and I logged on to post it, but you beat me to it.

I think it is a major flaw, unfortunately.... is it hardcoded, or can it be changed some way?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Resource mod

Originally posted by Ayeshteni
hmm, good point.
You could still merge, the metals. Then have Horses, on the other metal, thereby you could still benefit from Weapons mfg in Horse....um....provinces....kind...of...um...thing:eek:o

OK just a thought. It might work.

FISH!, do you really need fish

FISH
SALT

both resources that could theoretically go, as both would be prevalent in coastal areas anyway. Of course, something would have to replace ALL those fish provinces, which could be hard to justify:confused: .

There is nothing wrong with bandying ideas around. *cough cough*

yours
Ayeshteni

Horses? Nah... I'm not too fond of that, why should they give a bonus to weapons manufactories? And I'm actually not too fond of having them as a resource at all, I think a food source like caddle would be much more relevant.

And I think fish is a good resource too, I like having some food resources. It just needs a different pic.

From memory:
Hardcoded stuff regarding resources:
R1 is empty, and we should keep one resource empty, since we have to fill the non-land provinces with something (like rivers), it's ugly and perhaps some provinces shouldn't produce ANYTHING (like Sahara provinces, if we remove Salt)
R2 is affected by Goods mfg
R3 causes inflation and is typical "gold"-ish, we could include a few other things, silver being one of them (make something with/in silver in the background)
R4 is affected by Goods mfg
R5 is affected by Naval mfg, and increases Naval support limit
R6 nothing
R7 increases Land support limit
R8 nothing
R9 is affected by Weapons mfg
R10 is affected by Weapons mfg
R11 nothing
R12 is affected by Naval mfg, and increases Naval support limit
R13 nothing
R14 is slaves, certain goods affects the value of this good
R15 nothing
R16 is affected by Trade mfg
R17 is affected by Goods mfg
R18 is affected by Trade mfg
R19 nothing
R20 nothing
R21 nothing

If we put an image instead of nothing, are you sure that image will appear in rivers and sea zones? If not, I don't see a problem using this - other than it can be tricky to get functioning right (I tried once, way back).

Apart from the things you mentioned, some goods are also affected by upgrades in city buildings.

Originally posted by Hive
If we put an image instead of nothing, are you sure that image will appear in rivers and sea zones? If not, I don't see a problem using this - other than it can be tricky to get functioning right (I tried once, way back).
When I played the MES I saw that meatball-plate in each river...

Apart from the things you mentioned, some goods are also affected by upgrades in city buildings.
I'm just too lazy... :D but those things aren't major factors anyway... (I almost never build extra buildings just to increase the value)...

When I played the MES I saw that meatball-plate in each river...

I'm just too lazy... :D but those things aren't major factors anyway... (I almost never build extra buildings just to increase the value)...

Ah, ok.... so what happens if I put a non-existing good in those provinces (like eg. 'Kaigonite') - will it still show the pic from 'nothing' then?

I don't promote those buildings to increase goods values either, but there are other good reasons to do so. :)

I just tried the 'kaigonite' thing... the image still shows in the lakes and rivers... bad...

Maybe there's a way to alter province.csv so that no goods at all will appear there?

Here's a screenshot of the coffee twig and bean pile:
eu2cb.jpg

Honestly, I don't like it. The beans in the pile have to be to scale to the beans on the twig, and they get so small that you can't tell what they are.
I sent the resource.bmp file to Kaigon anyway.
As I said, personally I'm not really interested in changing the resources themselves. The main reason is it won't make sense in a lot of the provinces where resources have been switched, even if the game mechanics make sense for the resource (refineries, etc.). For example, if you switch all cloth for silk, you have the strangeness of provinces in England and Holland producing silk.
I am interested in making the existing resource pictures better. I'm still not really satisfied with any of the coffee pictures, but for now I think I will use the twig alone, at least until I can spend more time searching for a picture that is not full of tiny detail that will be lost when shrunk.

Last edited:
Good work, and I agree... the twig alone is the better one (It was I found it, right? :D)...
I also partly agree with you Armandeus about what is going to be changed... for me, it's just first priority to change the current graphics, then it's second priority to add new and remove other resources...
For instance, I'm for merging the Coffee and Tea resources, since they are quite similar and not in abundance... but for now, I agree that we should keep to enhancing graphics instead of making new resources...

I redid the coffee twig, and even cleaned up the tea bush, so there are no reddish pixels showing (not shown here).
eu2cfnew.jpg

I sent the resource.bmp to Kaigon. (Kaigon: I got the free image server, which supports only jpg and gif, to finally work again, and that's why I could post this screenshot.)
After we decide on new pictures, there's the issue of what to do about the tiny little resource pictures that show in the ledger.

Can't you (or anyone) just resize it, or is it made in a special way?
If so, we can re-do them all, by just resizing them...
I think you are right. The problem is finding the file. It should be easy if the file is there.
What do you think of my redone coffee twig icon?

Originally posted by Armandeus
I think you are right. The problem is finding the file. It should be easy if the file is there.
What do you think of my redone coffee twig icon?

I'm terribly sorry, but I really can't see the big difference...:confused:

took the liberty of rearranging the resource numbers to group them to what they affect

R1 is empty, and we should keep one resource empty, since we have to fill the non-land provinces with something (like rivers)

R2 is affected by Goods mfg
R4 is affected by Goods mfg
R17 is affected by Goods mfg

R3 causes inflation and is typical "gold"-ish, we could include a few other things, silver being one of them (make something with/in silver in the background)

R5 is affected by Naval mfg, and increases Naval support limit
R12 is affected by Naval mfg, and increases Naval support limit

R7 increases Land support limit

R9 is affected by Weapons mfg
R10 is affected by Weapons mfg

R14 is slaves, certain goods affects the value of this good

R16 is affected by Trade mfg
R18 is affected by Trade mfg

R6 nothing
R8 nothing
R11 nothing
R13 nothing
R15 nothing
R19 nothing
R20 nothing
R21 nothing

that would be a lot of nice and shiny new resources if they work :D

For some reason I keep thinking of hulst (don't know the English name :( ) with those coffee twigs

great work, keep it up guys :D

What do you mean? Aren't silver included in copper?
No, and if it is, I don't think it should be so...
Both silver and gold are typical coin-metals, and the spanish transported a lot of silver from the americas... IIRC, there was quite a large silver mine in Potosi...