• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hive

Lex Superior
19 Badges
Oct 16, 2002
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
Instead of keep spamming the request thread, I took the liberty to start a new thread on the topic.

To those unfamiliar with the discussion, we are a few guys who have been talking about replacing some of the trade good images.

Armandeus made a new nice chinaware image which Kaigon has compiled into the resources.bmp file:

resource01.bmp

Right now we are talking about a new image for coffe.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Hive
Armandeus made a new nice chinaware image which Kaigon has compiled into the resources.bmp file.
Right now we are talking about a new image for coffe.
Thanks, Hive. That's almost correct. I made the resource.bmp file too, and Kaigon has kindly offered to host the file on his server.
Speaking of coffee, here's the new coffee resource pic I made using the coffee bean twig in the flag and shield thread:
eu2coffee.jpg

I will send the resource.bmp to Kaigon. Thanks, Kaigon! And thanks, Hive, for starting this thread.

Re: Re: Resources

Originally posted by Armandeus
Thanks, Hive. That's almost correct. I made the resource.bmp file too, and Kaigon has kindly offered to host the file on his server.
Speaking of coffee, here's the new coffee resource pic I made using the coffee bean twig in the flag and shield thread:
eu2coffee.jpg

I will send the resource.bmp to Kaigon. Thanks, Kaigon! And thanks, Hive, for starting this thread.

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to downgrade your work... I just thought Kaigon compiled it... my bad.:eek:o

Nice coffe twig (didn't know it was called that), but I still miss a pile of beans...:D

Re: Re: Re: Resources

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to downgrade your work... I just thought Kaigon compiled it... my bad.:eek:o
Nice coffe twig (didn't know it was called that), but I still miss a pile of beans...:D
No problem at all.
It's from Kaigon's picture in the original thread. There are red beans on the small branch (=twig), but they are hard to see. Maybe a pile of beans might be better. In any case, we have to remember that the graphic will end up being much smaller and grainier than any nice coffee bean picture we might find on the Internet somewhere.
Also, we should try to avoid pictures with lots of red and bright green, because those two colors are used to create shadows and transparency.

OK, here's the resource in the game:
eu2coffeebeans.jpg

I sent this one to Kaigon too.

I love it, great work! :)

Now I must admit that I have no idea how long it takes to create such an image, but if you have time for it maybe you can make one with both the beans and the twit next to each other?

Just to see what that would look like...

Originally posted by Birger Jarl
Looking good. :cool:
Yes indeed. As Kaigon said one with both the beans and the twit next to each other might be better... or clearer and easier to identify.
Great work anyways!

Not to blow my own trumpet, but it was myself who 'suggested' some-one should start a new thread:rolleyes: :D

hehe
I think the coffee beans and the twig together may be more appropriate than both seperate as we will be able to see what they are better.

I have nothing wrong with 'cloth' but by replacing it with something else, you could then have a kimono to represent silk (as I would like to see silk in the game as well), cos I dont think a 'maggot' represents silk well!!

Though changing cloth to textiles is a good idea.

I am not to keen on 'salt' being a resource (any coastal province can get it!), so that would be nice changed.

Copper and Iron are too similar (yes I know ones blue the other...copper) but hey.

Also something other than a 'wet fish' for the fish icon, it is rather bland.

yours
Ayeshteni

I love it, great work! :)
Now I must admit that I have no idea how long it takes to create such an image, but if you have time for it maybe you can make one with both the beans and the twit next to each other?
Just to see what that would look like...
Thanks for the compliment.
I will try one with the twig (not twit - that means "stupid person":D ) and the beans together. I will post it tomorrow sometime.
Originally posted by Ayeshteni
I have nothing wrong with 'cloth' but by replacing it with something else, you could then have a kimono to represent silk (as I would like to see silk in the game as well), cos I dont think a 'maggot' represents silk well!!
I am not to keen on 'salt' being a resource (any coastal province can get it!), so that would be nice changed.
Copper and Iron are too similar (yes I know ones blue the other...copper) but hey.
As for changing the resources themselves (cloth to silk, salt to something else) that's a mod that involves more than just editing a picture. You also have to consider that not all provinces that used to be "cloth" would make sense as "silk" (China might, but not England).
I will see about copper and iron after we get done with coffee.
Incidentally, I think I fixed a single small red pixel in the tea graphic that should not have been showing. Have a look at it in the game.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but it was myself who 'suggested' some-one should start a new thread:rolleyes: :D

hehe
I think the coffee beans and the twig together may be more appropriate than both seperate as we will be able to see what they are better.

yours
Ayeshteni

Yes yes, it was you who was so clever to suggest making a new thread... bravo! :D :p

I too have thought about putting iron and copper together, and giving room for a new good - like silk... dunno about salt, maybe you are right...

So... do I smell a little goods mod here? Should we make a mod that changes goods and graphics? I'm up for it (as long as someone else does the graphical part). :)

If cloth is changed to "textiles", should it then get a new graphic?

I will try to find a better image for fish.

Thanks for the compliment.
I will try one with the twig (not twit - that means "stupid person":D ) and the beans together. I will post it tomorrow sometime.

lol did I write "twit"? :D

Must be because the t is right above the g on the keyboard...:eek:o

Anyway, speaking of cool additions of goods: how about 'exotic fruits', or just 'fruits'? Kaigon's picture was pretty good imo, and I have always felt that particular was missing. :)

Old resource file: (you can use this file to restore)
resource.bmp

New resource files:
resource01.bmp

resource02.bmp

resource03.bmp

resource04.bmp

In-game images:
eu2coffee.jpg
eu2coffeebeans.jpg

eu2cfnew.jpg

If you want the resource files in your game, right-click and save target as... rename the file to resoruce.bmp (remove the number id) and put it in these directories (make another copy):
...\Europa Universalis 2\Gfx\Interface\Piw\Buildings\
...\Europa Universalis 2\Gfx\palette\
Note, that this will overwrite the old files, so you could always do some backup...

Last edited:
Resource mod

lol did I write "twit"? :D

Must be because the t is right above the g on the keyboard...:eek:o

Anyway, speaking of cool additions of goods: how about 'exotic fruits', or just 'fruits'? Kaigon's picture was pretty good imo, and I have always felt that particular was missing. :)

The idea of a resource mod seems to have some interest.;)
Fruit, seems a good idea to me (exotic fruit, not a good title, exotic to whom?) Could replace, Iron or Copper (having been merged as Metal goods?)

yours
Ayeshteni

Re: Resource mod

The idea of a resource mod seems to have some interest.;)
Fruit, seems a good idea to me (exotic fruit, not a good title, exotic to whom?) Could replace, Iron or Copper (having been merged as Metal goods?)

yours
Ayeshteni

Metal... yes, I like that...

Re: Re: Resource mod

Metal... yes, I like that...
The major problem with merging copper and iron is that it will still give an additional bonus if you build weapons mfg in Fruit province... (perhaps it's not major, but still a flaw)

Re: Re: Re: Resource mod

Originally posted by Kaigon
The major problem with merging copper and iron is that it will still give an additional bonus if you build weapons mfg in Fruit province... (perhaps it's not major, but still a flaw)

hmm, good point.
You could still merge, the metals. Then have Horses, on the other metal, thereby you could still benefit from Weapons mfg in Horse....um....provinces....kind...of...um...thing:eek:o

OK just a thought. It might work.

FISH!, do you really need fish

FISH
SALT

both resources that could theoretically go, as both would be prevalent in coastal areas anyway. Of course, something would have to replace ALL those fish provinces, which could be hard to justify:confused: .

There is nothing wrong with bandying ideas around. *cough cough*

yours
Ayeshteni