Resources... Menu bar and stats- Doesn't seem to match or make sense

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JohnSheppard

Corporal
23 Badges
Feb 25, 2018
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
Hello,

I love the game so far, it has definitely kept me entertained for 20+ hours but the resource amounts/math seem a bit wonky and I'm having trouble understanding the math a bit. I played a late game where I had three Metal extractors and a scrapper, 1 recycler and a recycler extractor and 2 concrete extractors and running a sawmill (1) and was just struggling to keep resources going with 100 colonists to build any houses and tools (relied on tents and tool imports). The menu bar also seems really misleading so I did some testing, started a brand new game, bare bones mini colony. Nothing is under construction in the pictures or planned to be, no tools workshops running etc.

I'll go through the math using the plastic and just abbreviate the other resources as most of the complaints are the similar. Using version 1.12.5.8236 BTW.

Plastic:
Menu Bar is showing Production 6, Consumption 0 with a balance of 75. Building Summary with two people working shows 10/day produced. Stats Page shows daily production at 14 (Where is the extra 4 coming from???), consuming 9 with a balance of 5 daily. (gonna go with the right side is some weird average even though it doesn't say and just focus on the left side of the stats. There is a 6 under the main part of the page with a box icon + (No idea what Box + sign means, tool tips would be nice here in these stats pages). (Box -) sign I think is working correctly because I tested this out and actually is current consumption as I placed a water well down and this field and menu bar updated to Consumption 2 as this is how much plastic is needed to build the well which hadn't been fulfilled yet.

So not sure where stats is getting 14 daily (should be 10) but if that is my true production then that should be in Box + on stats page and should be in the menu bar under production showing 14 (really 10) instead of the 6 but again have no idea where that "6" is coming from or what it means in that column.

Plastic.jpg

Plastic Stats.jpg

Metal:
Menu Bar production showing 6, total of 121. Building shows 12/per day with two people working. Metal Stats page is showing 11/day (missing 1???) with another weird 6 in the box + column. Should be the number 12 instead of 11 and 12 units should be showing in the menu on the production and box+ column.

Metal menu Bar.jpg

Metal-Stats.jpg

Wood: This one could be a little weird because you have the option of having people manually scavenge and not rely just on the lumber mill but i think the production numbers should be using what the lumber mill is generating as that is constant and I don't think they are.

Menu bar shows production 4, Total of 64. Building shows 12/day with two people working. Stats page shows as 22/day (wow? huh) with a 4 in box +

Wood Menu Bar.jpg

Wood Stats.jpg

In summary it seems like Box - is correct as this is actual usage either i guess what other building would be using with that resource or what is outstanding to build. Box + seems like it needs fixed or better explained as the numbers vary widely and could be causing the resource slowdown in late game.

Thanks for any help.

Ok, I understood most of what you said. To dumb it down a notch, comparing the rates shown in the bar, the building window, and the stats reveals they do not completely match up? Makes sense. Could use a daily rate consistent across the board.

The rates should also account for travel time, if you ask me. I generally hit the deposits in the back of the map last, but the rates read the same way (more or less, I don't really pay attention) whether I harvest the initial deposits or the late ones.

I don't see this being changed or rectified anytime soon though, as it is late in development.

comparing the rates shown in the bar, the building window, and the stats reveals they do not completely match up? Makes sense. Could use a daily rate consistent across the board.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes you got the gist here. It should be unified to show actual production as this is what most games seem to do. For it to show 6 in the menu bar I don't understand how you are getting 6 and what it is actually supposed to mean since it doesn't correspond to anything the building is outputting. I can't even derive the 6 so what does that mean when it says production 6 even though the building is saying outputting (10 Plastic)?

Hmm, I am finding this a problem, too. According to the toolbar I have food production 65, consumption 48... but people are dying of starvation and there's no food in store. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do at this point - how will I know when I'm making enough?

I remember reading on one of the forums the devs acknowledged that there was a bug with the food but I don't remember where that was or if it was a previous version and if it was ever patched. If food is an issue then probably all the resources are bugged at some level or not balanced right and wasn't cleaned up right.

Heya!

Indeed, we are aware of the Production/Consumption numbers, especially in the top bar, not being correct. What I can tell you is that we are looking into them, hopefully we can have them fixed soon for you players!

What I can tell you, is that the number shown in the building UI as the production is the one that is probably the most correct number - the average there is based on the amount produced in the last 3 days, so it shows a pretty good average. The numbers in the Statistics and the top bar are based on different formulas and these are the ones that we are looking into a bit more closely.

Hope this helps for now! Thanks all for the post and the comments and of course, thanks for playing!

Reactions:
Heya!

Indeed, we are aware of the Production/Consumption numbers, especially in the top bar, not being correct. What I can tell you is that we are looking into them, hopefully we can have them fixed soon for you players!

What I can tell you, is that the number shown in the building UI as the production is the one that is probably the most correct number - the average there is based on the amount produced in the last 3 days, so it shows a pretty good average. The numbers in the Statistics and the top bar are based on different formulas and these are the ones that we are looking into a bit more closely.

Hope this helps for now! Thanks all for the post and the comments and of course, thanks for playing!
Thanks for the reply; I look forward to a fix! I currently have 2 skinners, 3 fishing wharves, 2 food stores, three small fields, a ranch and a cookhouse, so keeping track by individual building is... challenging!