• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Korbah

Ratel
137 Badges
Mar 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
Trait Icon Templates
Contents:

Book Trait
Circular Trait
Heart Trait
Leadership Trait
Shield Trait
Scroll Trait
Rounded Square Trait
Octagon Trait
Lozenge Trait
Ambition Icon

FGQ5Jgh.jpg

3Ufbnqm.png
GEoLOGe.png

An example of icons I've created with them;
Rkify5j.jpg

Credits
Korbah (Ambition, Scroll, Shield, Leadership, Circular, Squircle, Octagon, "Lozenge", Government Icons)
SaintDaveUK (Heart & Book Icons)

Download
New Circular Trait Icons (better quality than the ones in the archive above)

GIMP Compatible DL

Update
Did a quick Government icon template, click to go to post with download link.
GcT15SU.png

Update 04/09/2017
Jh3zThr.png

"Neutral" Personality traits (these are replacements for vanilla's icon traits, drop them into gfx/traits in your mod to overwrite vanillas with neutral personality traits instead of red/green vice/virtues).

Update 19/10/2017
Rank Icon Template

Last edited:
Reactions:
Oh, these look nice. I have my own templates I use but most of these look better.

[B@W] Abominus;16599515 said:
I have a question. When I edit one of the icons and save it as dds, I have edges on each side. How do I get a transparent background with gimp or Photoshop?

Are you using the preview images or the psd files in the .7z?

If you're using photoshop they should all have alpha channels already, I have no idea if gimp maintains alpha channels from psd files though. If you want to you could upload one of your icons and I'll take a look at it.

GIMP does maintain the alpha channel, but does so in a rather bizarre fashion. In order to get it working properly you're going to need to apply it as a mask first. So open up the template .psd file, eliminate the normal layers you don't want, then:

Layer --> Mask --> Add Layer Mask --> set Initialize Layer Mask to Channel (should be the bottom radio toggle) --> select the layer called Alpha 1 (should already be selected) --> Add

Save it as something else and it should work fine from there. You can apply the Mask if you like, or leave it separate from the icon layer.

Yes, I took the psd-file.

Vielleicht ist es auf Deutsch einfacher:

Ich habe keine Ahnung, wie man mit Alpha-Channels arbeitet. Nachdem ich den aktiviert habe, konnte ich ein TGA-File erstellen und das ist auch ok. Ich wollte aber mit GIMP ein DDS-File machen, da ich für Photoshop das Plugin von NVidia nicht installiert bekomme, weiß der Teufel warum. Hier die zwei Versionen:

View attachment traits.zip

Das DDS ist von GIMP, das TGA ist von Photoshop.

Sorry guys, its too late for me to concentrate on translating it now. :)

[B@W] Abominus;16599866 said:
Yes, I took the psd-file.

Vielleicht ist es auf Deutsch einfacher:

Ich habe keine Ahnung, wie man mit Alpha-Channels arbeitet. Nachdem ich den aktiviert habe, konnte ich ein TGA-File erstellen und das ist auch ok. Ich wollte aber mit GIMP ein DDS-File machen, da ich für Photoshop das Plugin von NVidia nicht installiert bekomme, weiß der Teufel warum. Hier die zwei Versionen:

View attachment 97030

Das DDS ist von GIMP, das TGA ist von Photoshop.

Sorry guys, its too late for me to concentrate on translating it now. :)

Anaxxiphos's post is probably the most useful if you want to use gimp for .dds. For photoshop though all you need to do is to save as a 32bit .tga; if you're just using my existing templates they already have an appropriate alpha channel so no need to worry about them. If you're not changing the shape of the icon itself you won't need to edit them.

GIMP does maintain the alpha channel, but does so in a rather bizarre fashion. In order to get it working properly you're going to need to apply it as a mask first. So open up the template .psd file, eliminate the normal layers you don't want, then:

Layer --> Mask --> Add Layer Mask --> set Initialize Layer Mask to Channel (should be the bottom radio toggle) --> select the layer called Alpha 1 (should already be selected) --> Add

Save it as something else and it should work fine from there. You can apply the Mask if you like, or leave it separate from the icon layer.

Thank you. I tried it that way, but I cant place anything colored on it. Its just black and white. Doesnt matter, Photoshop >> TGA and then with GIMP the changes I want to do.

[B@W] Abominus;16601837 said:
Thank you. I tried it that way, but I cant place anything colored on it. Its just black and white. Doesnt matter, Photoshop >> TGA and then with GIMP the changes I want to do.

You should google on how to work with alpha channels, I can't unfortunately give you a step-by-step tutorial on how to do them here (it's not really the purpose of this forum).
You shouldn't even be editing the alpha channel if you're just working with these templates, it kind of defeats the purpose of using the templates in the first place :p

I love the icons but sadly, I can't make use of them as my artistic abilities approach zero :/. Though I would like to ask you whether I could one day borrow one of your icons as I will need an 'Excluded from Succession' one.

I love the icons but sadly, I can't make use of them as my artistic abilities approach zero :/. Though I would like to ask you whether I could one day borrow one of your icons as I will need an 'Excluded from Succession' one.

Sure.

I saved an icon as .tga, but when I converted it to .dds it didn't come out right. The transparent background was replaced by a black one, the icon was distorted and the image wasn't even the same dimensions. A little guide would be much appreciated, I can't find anything useful when it comes to making icons.

I have done everything else correct according to this thread, by the way.