• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok

The "current" resettlement system only allows you to move one pop at a time
We're all, for the most part, familiar with that

Even altering the UI to allow for a new button/option that moves multiple pops, the system would still only try to move them one at a time
So you might need to sit at the resettlement screen as the pops are moved until they are all where you wanted them to go

Now if you are only moving a few pops at a time, this wouldn't be too big of an issue
But what if you need to move a lot of pops at a single time

If the game only moves pops while you are on the resettlement screen, this means that you could viably miss out on other things that need your attention that would shift you into a different screen [Tech, traditions, dig sites, communication, etc] thus possibly stopping or breaking the resettlement movement

Assume it just stops the movement, then that isn't as bad, you can simply go back into the resettlement screen and either restart it manually or have the system recognize you are back on that screen to then move the pops

i think your initial assumption that pops only move when you’re on the resettlement screen is debatable.

there are mods that provide a script that automatically move pops where you don’t have to touch the resettlement screen until the late-game.

we also know pops can move in the background of the base game as we play because - and forgive me if i get the name wrong - the ‘greater than ourselves’ edict does precisely that.

3.0 also has automatic pop movement, i believe...? do we know if ai in the base game resettle pops themselves (not sure if they can or do)?

point being, i’m not convinced the suggested improvements would have as much of an impact as you claim (unless a dev says otherwise), because it seems like the system can already support something similar.

time can still run as you are moving pops in the resettlement screen, so it doesn’t seem entirely outside the realms of the possible to, for example, cue multiple pops in the resettlement screen and then have the computer move them in background over a period of time while you get on with whatever.

in my current game where i’m having something of a population crisis - hence my interest - it takes (in the late game) between 0.5 - 1.25 seconds (or longer) from pressing on a single pop and it moving over to the other column. it is painful. short of getting the game to run faster on a base console (definitely not happening), cuing up 10 pops in the above way and having that 12.5+ seconds tick away in the background would be - frankly - a fucking godsend.

but again, the multiple pops suggestion was only one among others.

the option to filter each list based on unemployment/openings, the ability to control each column via thumbsticks and having each column ‘remembering’ the last colony you were on would also be super helpful and cut down on a lot of unnecessary scrolling and jumping between columns, saving a lot of time.

i take it there’s no issue there?

Last edited:
i think your initial assumption that pops only move when you’re on the resettlement screen is debatable.

there are mods that provide a script that automatically move pops where you don’t have to touch the resettlement screen until the late-game.

we also know pops can move in the background of the base game as we play because - and forgive me if i get the name wrong - the ‘greater than ourselves’ edict does precisely that.

3.0 also has automatic pop movement, i believe...? do we know if ai in the base game resettle pops themselves (not sure if they can or do)?

point being, i’m not convinced the suggested improvements would have as much of an impact as you claim (unless a dev says otherwise), because it seems like the system can already support something similar.

time can still run as you are moving pops in the resettlement screen, so it doesn’t seem entirely outside the realms of the possible to, for example, cue multiple pops in the resettlement screen and then have the computer move them in background over a period of time while you get on with whatever.

in my current game where i’m having something of a population crisis - hence my interest - it takes (in the late game) between 0.5 - 1.25 seconds (or longer) from pressing on a single pop and it moving over to the other column. it is painful. short of getting the game to run faster on a base console (definitely not happening), cuing up 10 pops in the above way and having that 12.5+ seconds tick away in the background would be - frankly - a fucking godsend.

but again, the multiple pops suggestion was only one among others.

the option to filter each list based on unemployment/openings, the ability to control each column via thumbsticks and having each column ‘remembering’ the last colony you were on would also be super helpful and cut down on a lot of unnecessary scrolling and jumping between columns, saving a lot of time.

i take it there’s no issue there?
i'll be honest not everyone uses the greater than ourselves edict, and i haven't touched 3.0 much due to various issues with empire spawning being a bit broken [forced spawned empires don't spawn] so i can't say for sure if it has automatic pop migration [aside from this aforementioned edict]

however that edict only increases the chance for automatic migration to occur, it does not guarantee it

the only guarantee of migration between worlds is resettlement [what you originally posted on]
which would still suffer from the influence problem in some degree

but aside from those tidbits i have no issue with what you say

• 1Like
Reactions: