• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
VI Effectus Pugna: Doing Battle

Opportunities

Just south east of the Hapsburg capital of Vienna nine legions of the Italian army were massing upon the Hungarian border, few in Austria, Italy or Hungary believed the official line of “troop manoeuvres” and fewer still were willing to bet against war. The Hungarian government was worried by the developments on it's border and knew that Lanza and Graziani would use the smallest incident as an excuse to cross the Rubicon, so as to speak. It was surprising then when their reaction came to an accident in one of the Legion's encampment. From what we can tell from the somewhat confused incident upon the night of the 3rd of February, it seams that quite by accident one of the fuel depots for the VIII Legion was accidentally set alight. The resulting explosion was heard as far away as Vienna and certainly by the Hungarian border guard. When the report was given to the government they believed it to have been a terrorist attack upon the base, and as they expected an Italian attack, immediately ordered an attack on the enemy positions. When Lanza heard of the attack by Hungarian troops he heart leapt, now there was no need for some 'dodgy' excuse for war, that may draw concern from the British or French, they were the now victim of an unprovoked attack. With speed he sent word to Graziani to order his legions over the border and into the Györ region of Hungary.

Map of Hungary​

Reunification

The nine Italian legions with the “Legion de Austria” crossed the border into Hungary, at around seven in the morning the vanguard of the advance was met stiff resistance from two divisions of Hungarian infantry. Although the men on the border gave all that was necessary in the field of battle, the sheer numbers, organisation and modern equipment of the modern Legions made it inevitable that they would in short order be pushed aside. Field Marshal Volta had organised and lead the attack upon Györ, he now looked east to Budapest, as his men pushed south to Pápa, Zalaegerszeg and Kaposvár to secure western Hungary. It was only the sixth that the troops of the II Legion 'Milano' entered the streets of the Buda, the twin cities of Budapest was a story of difference. Buda was lightly defended as most of the troops had abandoned it for the safety of the river, where their forces were massing for a concerted defence. The fighting was fierce and constantly swinging either way, a breakthrough here only to be met by a counter here. The situation as becoming one resembling 1916, neither side had the decisive difference to be able to dislodge the other. This local parity would not save the proud Hungarian capital, as the streets of Pest were bombed and shelled remorselessly from the opposite bank news came through that the Austrians had broken resistance at Pécs on the 8th of the month, and worse still that the 'fast' legions VII 'equities' and VI 'Caesar' had crossed the Danube Baja and were rapidly heading towards the city's rear. So with a heavy heart the Hungarian divisions pulled back from the battered, if still beautiful, capital to fight another day.

Buda Castle, Although there was no organised resistance, some Buda locals managed to hold out in the castle for some time.​

yay an update! so austria once more has control of hungary...where else will the roman legions strike?

A short little campaign there, good work taking out Hungary. I guess now it is time for Austria with Italian aid to recreate the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. Where shall the Legions move next, south, east, west or north… ;)

lifeless: Not quite yet... theres still a little left to do in Hungary and soon an even will shock the world!! :D

Lord E: Good question... and one that shall be answered in the next update....

Clearly I wasn't paying attention, I thought the Victoria part was still to be played. It might be a slightly anti-climatic pre-quel though, it will be a true test of writing talent to make a known outcome a good tale.

In any case a thoroughly good show in Hungary, although I am worried by this event that will shake the world. Could this be a threat to the writers of the world's shortest book? :D

What a clumsy way of the Hungarians to start the war, of course they must be itching but to go ahead and attack without confirmation...

For now it seems to me that Hungarian soldiers are moving into the mountains, and the Romans march into lands perhaps protected by others..

EDIT: As you say something unexpected will happen, my guess is that the Hungarians get backed by one of their neighbours, thus they hold out longer than expected.

Last edited:
El Pip: Well I always like to think that a story is a journey, the destination is not so as important as the happenings along the way... the Viki game was a lot of fun and although you know what will happen at the end, there are many surprises along the way. :)

Oranje Verzet: Sorry old chap, could you hint a bit less subtlety, for me I'm afraid I'm a bit hard of understanding. :D

Gentlemen,

I am very sorry to have to report this AAR officialy dead, I have had some RL problems over the last few months and one of those entailed the destruction of my HD. This means that the Res Publica MOD has been destroyed and, therefore, the AAR has too.

I still like the idea and may well return to it one day soon...

For those of you deluded enought to like my work ;) Dreams of Albion will be completed and An Empire of Liberty, Trade and Civilisation wil be finished in the next week or so.... also there is a new AAR which shall start very soon...

Sorry again to you, my readers...

Sir Clive